The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2015, 05:42 AM

Mawn'in all

John, Sorry to hear of your loss. Prayers sent for his family

The perils of service extend way beyond the battle field

Mike, I heard de rain isn't coming in til tonite. I think you're good all day

Have a great day Oldsfriends
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone

Nice here today. Rain and sleet next couple days though.

Mike. Just guessing. Is it a gel battery?

Jim, got yer taters planted? Our ground is still froze. You'd need a pick to break it open. How,do werms survive froze into dat stuff?

Was gonna grill for supper tonight but de missus has decided it's pasta night. Guess I should make a pie fer desert?

Dan, I'm fine. Was just hurrying a bit to watch a curling match.

Enjoy your day.
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Good afternoon everyone!

Cool but sunny and dry today. Things are getting crazy around here again.

John, sorry to hear about your friend.
Old March 18th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Paul, what's crazy?
Old March 18th, 2015, 07:24 PM

Just getting busy again.
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Mike! Guess what? That other noise that was driving me nuts on the low Saturn turns out to be the idler pulley. Not sure if I'll go to the boneyard and get one or buy it new. Bone price is 6.50 with no core. NAPA is around 30.00!! From what I've seen the recommended access to get at it is to support the engine with a jack and then undo the left motor mount so there's room to work with.

Clint - You agree with that procedure or do you know a better way?
Old March 18th, 2015, 08:43 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone. Well it hasn't snowed here in two weeks but we're not setting any warm temp records either. It's been mostly in the 40's and we had a few inches of rain. Can actually see most of the yard now, I'm surprised it melted so fast.

My daughter's asthma has been improving since the dog has been out of the house. Even though she's coming off the medicine, she continues to get better. Good news for her, bad news for thinking that our dog can come back home soon. I hope to bring him home for a weekend when it's warm outside, this way he would not be always in the house.

Allan - yes the lady who takes care of Wallace has her work cut out for her pooper scooper. I'd hate to be near her garbage cans in the summer.

John - my condolences to your family and friends.

Sandy - I hope that the worst is all behind you now, and that you'll be better soon.

Clint/Sandy- I think TWD has been really really good this year. I also thought the way Noah and Aidan died last week was pretty gruesome. It will be interesting to see where they leave off with the cliffhanger episode.

Have a good night all.
Old March 19th, 2015, 04:37 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Darrell. I agree. And I also wonder why the wall supports are on the wrong side of the wall? What do they not want to get out? Is the leaders Hubby really an architect? Something smells and it ain't just the rotting flesh.

Allan, Once you get the mount out of the way its right there. Easy peasy.

Mike what year is the Cad?

Got my tags for the Mazda yesterday.I actually was in and out in less than 20 minutes. Surprise. Still a racket. $80 for plates (Plus a $25 emissions test) for a 17 year old truck. Insanity.

Raining right now. Only gonna be around 46 today. then warming back up for the weekend. Made those Chops with Mushrooms last night I shared on FB. they turned out good. Finally a recipe off FB that was worth it.

Have a Thursday all.
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:19 AM

Mawn'in all

Elsie's here

GTG give a ride fer my bud. He's gett'in a cast on his foot to try to straighten out sum kinda foot problem thing he's had fer 87 years.Anutter bud is giving im a ride down to de docs.

Zo, Me and Red dog are gonna pick him up in Winder [Dat's pronounce like ya wind a watch not pass wind] and give him a ride back to de mountains.

Sandy, so sorry for your loss. If ya need any help figger'in out what to do [or not do] jes give me a shout. It's one of de few things I can know alot about

Have a great day Olds friends

Ding dong de cats are gone [ or I'm not wit dem anyway]
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

The cow has a wide path. It started raining around here about 3. Luckily the dogs came to tell me or I wouldn't have known.

Sandy safe trip today. Are you going by yourself?

Allan I would spring for the new idler. Cars in the junkyard are not going to have low mileage and you might get one that is in the same shape. Unless of course you just like doing this job.

The Optima I have is an AGM. Clint the Cadillac is an 87 Brougham.

Darrell that's funny. I asked a friend of mine who is big into gardening if I could put my "yard cleanings" into the compost pile. Oh no she said. Too many carcinogens from a meat eater. I said what's the alternative? She said making the neighbors unhappy on trash day.

Inside stuff today. Yesterday I got some cleaning up done around the shop. Got a pickup full of scrap metal I can take to the recycler. But now, Awful house. Have a good day everyone.
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:03 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all... Overcasty and damp (as has been the case O so often lately) down in da' swamp. Spose to see some sun later. Gonna bring some lumber back to Lowe's later, and bring in a dehumidifier for a warranty replacement.

Thanks to all for the kind wishes. Sandy, I'm sorry for your loss. I hope all works out well with your scheduling, and with your situation at work.

Looking forward to some mountaineering in the very near future! Need a change of scenery.

Y'all have a great day, Oldsmofriends.
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone

'Twas nice yesterday and lots more melting. Almost all the snow is gone but it leaves that nasty snow mold on the surface. Gotta wait awhile to clean it up. Prolly sould pull out the lawnmower and see about resetting the choke plate so it'll start. It only starts now if I leave it in the sun for half hour...

Jim, hope yer friend does ok with that cast thing. Why'd he wait so long to get it fixed?

Clint, thanks. That's kinda what I thought.

Mike, no I'm not a big fan of redoing repairs but remember I'm not planning to keep it much longer either. Besides taking one off at the boneyard will be good practice. Should be the same pulley right up to 2002 I think. There are some lower mileage cars in our boneyard.

Darrell, I Usta do the cat box daily and all the poop got put into plastic bags from the market and tossed. It got double tied and wrapped. Feel sorry for any archaeologist who unearths those goody bags in the distant future.

Good deal on a plank of salmon yesterday so it's going on the grill later.

Enjoy your day.
Old March 19th, 2015, 07:02 AM

Allan, He didn't It' s jes sum kinda new procedure
Old March 19th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Always room for one more

Ah Allan the junkyard makes for a good laboratory. When I need to figure something out and destruction seems likely, I go to the junkyard and test out my methods. That way if I screw something up it doesn't matter.

What is snow mold? Is it actually mold that grows under the snow or is it that layer of yuck and you can't wait for the first good rain of spring to wash it all away?

Come on up, John. I need to check out those Mets at the garbage company. I thought I saw one on craigslist.

Going with my neighbor to some classic car shop in town somewhere. He's down in the dumps because his brother in law died a couple days ago. This poor guy, had tons of health problems, couldn't walk, was in assisted living, etc. Still a tragedy. I feel bad for my neighbor they were really close.

No rain now, but foggy. Fog won't dry up all this mud.
Old March 19th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - that's how I see boneyards too. Great place to spend some time learning on someone elses reject before tinkering on your own. Surprising how many cars end up in there with new parts on them too.

Snow mold? I guess that's a new one for you but I'm surprised since you used to live in the snow belt. It looks like this (easier to show than describe)

Careful at the classic car shop, you may end up dragging something else home.

Well, off to Costco! I figure weekly trips to get small amounts is better than going every month and spending too much. Since I changed my eating and exercise lifestyle it's amazing how much less we buy, and the stuff we get is mostly nutritious and health instead of the junk food. Found a better route to the new store that's all hiway so it only takes 20 minutes each way on the drive.
Old March 19th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Always room for one more

Allan I've never seen anything like that. What exactly is it?

At this shop today, which is just some guy's shop who does work on classic cars, he was showing us around and I saw a repro ram air hood for a 71-72. The car was under a cover and I asked, what's the A body Olds under the cover. He said it was a 71 Cutlass, the guy who owned it ran out of money and work stopped on it. He said he was going to start charging him rent for the secure storage. Now, the motor and trans were out, no front clip, doors off, so it couldn't go anywhere. It had some ugly-*** white interior with blue piping.

Haven't gotten anything done today. Just one of those days I guess. Gloomy and cold, but no rain right now.
Old March 19th, 2015, 03:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Allan I've never seen anything like that. What exactly is it?
It's the stuff that allergies hate. You've never seen it before?? Forms every year up here as the snow melts. Not going to go out and analyse it; the dang stuff is very annoying though.

You need a 71 project car

Wow! You guys in Stockbridge have cheap gas. Just looked and see it's around 2.15/gallon?? Sheesh, ship me some up here would ya? It's 3.51 for the same gallon up here. Actually if I factor in US dollars? Our gas is even more expensive @4.46/US gallon. Enjoy that good stuff while it's still around.

Have you seen this?
Old March 19th, 2015, 05:56 PM

Good evening everyone.

The day started with a frostbite advisory but it warmed up through the day.

Allan, just to compare, he is a chart showing Ottawa, Edmonton, Atlanta and crude prices in USD.

if they send you the cheap Atlanta gas, can you send me some of the cheap-er Edmonton gas?

Oh and all the snow around here is turning black.

Mike, I like your logic about testing in the salvage yard.

Have a great Friday everyone!
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Paul - cool, I didn't see that part where you can choose ¢/L or $/Gal. The chart is skewed to a 3.78 L gallon - which is American. This chart shows a comparison of where my bride wants us to move to - Abbotsford BC. Sure they have better weather, but everything else is pricey. Abbotsford has amongst the lowest price for fuel in BC too. Makes me want to re-evaluate this transition. Problem with moving to the US is that my pension wouldn't be worth as much. I'd take about a 27% hit and I can't afford that. I really don't understand why there's such a huge gap in gas prices.

Old March 20th, 2015, 05:26 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

We'll my bride has put up with my tomfoolery for 22 years today. Hope she likes her iPad!

Gonna start getting nice again. think we're going to the track on Sunday. Have our first race next week.

gotta get to it. Have a Friday.
Old March 20th, 2015, 05:41 AM

Mawn'in

Elsie has left de building

Congrats Clint, De longest I made it was 18. I'm werk'in on 10 now

TGIF Olds friends
Old March 20th, 2015, 06:44 AM
Captain Starfire

Morning', all, and Happy Anniversary, Clint! Hope y'all can take an hour or two and grab a nice meal somewhere, and that she loves the 'Pad.

Another dark, dreary, muggy morning in da' swamp. Spose to be well into the 80s today.

BTW, there's a big brouhaha down here 'bout the poster for this year's (Ponchatoula) Strawberry Festival. In this day & age, I'm pretty shocked it got past whoever it needed to get past to get printed. But no politics is allowed here, so I'll leave it at that.

If anybody's interested, he or she can Google Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival 2015 Poster and see for yourselves.

Anyway, y'all have a great Friday, Oldsmofriends!
Old March 20th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

A WTH morning y'all

Gomer Pyle couldn't say it better "surprise surprise surprise "! Ma nature sent Elsie's cousin Rachel to visit. She's still arriving and so far has brought 4" of snow with her. Still coming down too. Good thing I didn't put the snow shovel away.

Clint, congratulations to you and yer missus! You got married a year after me, copycat . Time flies Huh? Isn't yer BD coming up on Sunday? You gonna be 42 or 43?

Jim, second time lucky?

Mike, hafta wait till the snows gone next week now. No worries. I went and looked at the mount nuts on our Saturn and they look like just installed so they should be easy to get off. I didn't realize the bracket the mount bolts to so hollow with an opening just to access that pulley bolt. Someone actually thought this out in design. Meantime I won't use it just in case the pulley seizes and burns the belt.

Ted, how's the NO adventure going?

Hmmm, started taking magnesium supplements and it seems to be effectively managing the neuropathy in my toes! Who'd a thunk it?

Nice little JRT on the news just now. What a nice Pooch.

Enjoy your day.
Old March 20th, 2015, 06:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John, that is an OMG moment IMO. Right on the tail of rioting in Ferguson and civil unrest on the topic. On de other hand de strawberry queen is very easy on the eyes.
Old March 20th, 2015, 11:17 AM

Actually Allan,

De 3rd times a charm
1st passed away young from a brain tumor,
#2 sent Mr. Marshall to visit me on our 18th wedding anniversary [a woman who'd do that would cut cha]

# 3 de Super model seems to be a keeper

But like I’ve told Sandy a few thousand times, “I never met a woman I couldn’t pi$$ off”
Old March 20th, 2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Elsie has left de building

Congrats Clint, De longest I made it was 18. I'm werk'in on 10 now

TGIF Olds friends
Congrats Clint I was just over 20.. It would have been 21 next week..
Old March 20th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Captain Starfire

Third time's a charm, Jamesbo. Part of the deal is that if you're a geezer when you tie the knot, the sheer shame and embarrassment of a possible failure will often be the glue to hold things together. I know, 'cause I was 35 when I first got married, and I consider that old enough to know better ;-)

We're Tic-Tac-Toe on da' board, 'cause better half & I will be 24 this year....
Old March 20th, 2015, 02:38 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Congratulations Clint. Here's to 22 more. Jamesbo you're gonna have to explain who Mr. Marshall is. Must be a euphemism for something.

Gas is down to 2.13 in the Greater Stockbridge Area. Those charts are impressive, but the bottom line is, how much lighter will my wallet be after I fill up?

Been a nice day here. Possible rain tonight, decent weekend, then rain for sure on Monday. Still 70, should be fairly warmish tonight.

Work tonight. When I get there it will feel like I never left. Right now it seems like eons since I've been there. It will be the debut night at work for the Dodge van. Methinks I bought something with a worn out engine. On the highway the other day going to the junkyard the faster I went, the lower the oil pressure went. I kept it so the needle was two ticks above L. Today I put in some STP and half a quart of ATF. I noticed the needle was about 1/4 tick higher. If this helps the oil pressure then that's fine, otherwise I might try something a little thicker, like 20W50.

Okay time for the dogs to go out. Have a good evening everyone and enjoy your weekend.
Old March 20th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Captain Starfire

Mike, my Vega used to eat STP for lunch. It would seem to work fine for a week or two, then it would lose effectiveness soon thereafter. Towards the end, there was more STP in the little, crappy aluminum crankcase than there was oil.
It was indeed a great day when I traded in that POS. Only about 50k miles and an engine shot to Hades.... I was in total disbelief to see that little silver lizard sitting on the used car lot when I passed by a week or two later!
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:22 PM

[

Wow! You guys in Stockbridge have cheap gas. Just looked and see it's around 2.15/gallon?? Sheesh, ship me some up here would ya? It's 3.51 for the same gallon up here. Actually if I factor in US dollars? Our gas is even more expensive @4.46/US gallon.
I would love fuel that cheap. I just paid the equivalent of $6.18 for a US gallon and that's one of the cheapest here.
Ripped off or what ?
Old March 20th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Captain Starfire

Going price here in Tangipahoa Parish is right at $2.05/gallon. Major brands are usually about 10 cents more, but Shell can be found at the low price as well, depending on locale. I'm enjoying it (again) while we got it.... Filled up the Avalon from empty for less than $30 this week.

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
[

Wow! You guys in Stockbridge have cheap gas. Just looked and see it's around 2.15/gallon?? Sheesh, ship me some up here would ya? It's 3.51 for the same gallon up here. Actually if I factor in US dollars? Our gas is even more expensive @4.46/US gallon.
I would love fuel that cheap. I just paid the equivalent of $6.18 for a US gallon and that's one of the cheapest here.
Ripped off or what ?
Old March 20th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - glad to hear. I'm planning to keep it at once only. So all dis complain bout de super model is really just man save face???

John - you and me both at 35? We musta been amongst the smart or the wary crowd. LOL I filled up the snowblower for just under 30.00 last week....

Mike - Really? Read it literally: Marshall - as in lawman, sherriff, police....

London - no wonder you want to move to Eastern US. We all know that gas in the UK and Europe is pricey crazy. Until last year I think we could compete for that lunacy with prices up around 1.47/L here. You can have it. I was complaining about our prices relative to the US, but yeah, you've got reedonkulous prices there.
Old March 20th, 2015, 04:32 PM

I was just reading that our government takes 61% of the price of our fuel as a tax duty. We also have to pay a road fund license of around $320 per car per year although cars built before 1973 are exempt from this,add in the price of insurance which can be anything between $400 and $3000 depending on your age and it make keeping a vehicle on the road very expensive. Doesn't stop our roads from being congested most of the time.
I suppose one saving grace is that we only have a couple of tolls on the roads - yee ha!!
Old March 20th, 2015, 06:02 PM

Mike, "Mr. Marshall" was de guy dat served me with D-I-V-O-R-C-E papers on my anniversary

BUT cha know why it's sooooooooooo expensive?Cause it's worth it
Old March 20th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
BUT cha know why it's sooooooooooo expensive?Cause it's worth it
Ya mean sumthin like dis?

Old March 20th, 2015, 09:00 PM

The single guy here, is biting his tongue.
Old March 21st, 2015, 02:09 AM

Morning all

Hold the front page, it's foggy in London!!!!

Sorry, my mistake. I fell asleep with my contact lenses in!!!!
Old March 21st, 2015, 05:44 AM

Could be PLEASE change subjects
Old March 21st, 2015, 08:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Crap, this stupid eye pad losted me post and yes it was signed in to remember. Maybe later I'll try again.
Old March 21st, 2015, 08:30 AM

BTW

Allan, Dat snow mold looks like de bottom of a fish tank