The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2021, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
So Jamesbo how do the chairs look in their new surroundings?e.

Mike, They look rather lonely, Ya need to come up and set a spell

Norm, My friend [the pro I played with a few days ago] I've known for 20 + years Yet I'd never heard this story. When he was a kid, he drew Joanne Carner to caddy for.in a pro am.. Low and behold she's playing with Yogi Berra. He admits, he peppered Yogi with questions the whole round and rather than ignore sum dumb kid Yogi answered every one
Old July 10th, 2021, 02:51 PM

Glenn, a friend of my brother had a BSA back in the early '70's, a single thumper, which was 441 or 445 c.c.'s. I can't remember for sure. I always thought that it was a cool bike. Jamesbo, nice of Yogi to answer questions from a kid, they aren't all that way now a days.
Old July 10th, 2021, 03:18 PM
Running On Empty

Variations of a theme...wild-caught Atlantic scallops, shrimp, green pepper & tomato.

Old July 10th, 2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Variations of a theme...wild-caught Atlantic scallops, shrimp, green pepper & tomato.

Norm the gourmet chef, I love it! Looks scrumptious!
Old July 10th, 2021, 03:24 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm the gourmet chef, I love it! Looks scrumptious!
The sauce is the Cajun's Choice James turned me onto.
Old July 10th, 2021, 03:27 PM
Running On Empty

James - What a treat it would have been to walk alongside Yogi.
Old July 10th, 2021, 05:26 PM

Norm, Happy sopping
Old July 10th, 2021, 08:43 PM

Very good, Norm.

James, apparently Yogi was just one hell of a dude in all aspects. I read some place that the Yankees put out a full meal in the locker room after the games so you could eat while you chilled after the shower or whatever before getting dressed. Apparently Yogi was reaching for something and bombed the gravy boat with his *****.

Did not get much done on H/O today, got the wrong blank, and the lock guy knew it, on the key I had cut. 3 bucks, I don't mind. He was out of the right ones. Got home with lunch, ate, then worked on my wheels. Then thunderstorms came in, I bailed out, put stuff away before the rain, and took too long of a nap, which is what you do during a thunderstorm. No rear end work today, pushed to tomorrow.
Old July 11th, 2021, 07:51 AM
Running On Empty

Another hot day thankfully a shallow breeze. Been buttering bricks since 7am.
Old July 11th, 2021, 07:52 AM
Running On Empty

James - oh, there significant sopping involved.
Old July 11th, 2021, 08:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I told Tiger when he got me up at 630 that I thought we'd sleep in this morning. Got back in bed and opened my eyes again at a quarter to 10. I hadn't planned on that long but it was sure nice. And now it's 11 and I'm still in my jammies. Gonna be one of those days. Well at least I still have to go to Walmart.

Norm, bravo! The computer fired up from stone dead to ready to go in under a minute. It also accepted the wifi connection in less than a minute. I think I owe you more than a beer for this one. By the way, your dinner looks scrumptious!

Looks like rain but we haven't had any for about a day. I need to mow some more but don't see that happening today. Maybe in front. I could run the line trimmer. I saw on another forum a guy had made a line trimmer out of bicycle chain. Used these itty bitty screws to hold it all together. Hope he has steel socks.

Well I guess I had better get ready for the day. Have a good day everyone.

Old July 11th, 2021, 08:13 AM

Good morning guys,
We're in the middle of a 3-day period of high moisture content moving through with chances of pop-ups at almost anytime throughout the day. Not a very good forecast for planning outdoor activities. The nice thing is it's only supposed to get up to about 80 today.

No big plans for me today. Hope everyone has a relaxing Sunday, or in Norm's case a productive one with his column building, and ditto with Koda and his H/O detailing!
Old July 11th, 2021, 09:32 AM

On and off showers today

Changed one water filter and the Other MF'er is stuck. May need to borrow some ones gorilla

Saw sum Oreo pie shells in the G store the other day and decided to make a key lime pie in one just to try them out. Not bad if i do saw so myself
Old July 11th, 2021, 10:11 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Glad we were able to save another laptop from the bottom of the lake.
Break time - finishing off what remained of the Cajun's Choice scallops & shrimp.
I ordered my wood product for the fence - eventually I'll be done laying brick. The gate I built several years ago is Western Red Box Cedar. I passed a shart when we priced out the same wood product for the fence - 67% markup since the time I purchased the gate wood product three years ago. I really like Western Red Box Cedar but I'm not spending stupid money; therefore, it's going to be center-cut Southern Yellow Pine - simple #2 Pine. It will take some time for the Pine to absorb the Aussie Stain, but that's life - I'll wait for it to dry thoroughly in the hot sun before beginning to stain.

Treated 1x8x16 #2 - 25 each
Treated 6x6x10 #2 80 CCA - 3 PC
Treated #1 2x4x8 Ground Contact - 6 each
Treated #1 2x4x10 Ground Contact - 9 each

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 11th, 2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old July 11th, 2021, 01:40 PM

Break time here. DID find my torque wrench. These zerks on the U joints wont take my gun, so I looked for my old bench grinder but couldn't find it. Off with its head and off to Advance. Bought two needles and a right angle fitting. One of these should work. I did resurrect an old Alemite gun of my granddad's to no use.

Hammered the beauty rings with a 2x4 buck, they are on as tight as they want to go. Jacked up rear end, pulled shop wheel and drum, looked at brakes, and put drum and the car's wheel with new tires and cleaned up trim back on, on left and right. Got into rear end, put a tube of the posi additive and and pint of 90 weight in there, it was low. Bolt took the Arm of Justice, my 1/2 breaker, to break lose. I did not put it back on that tight.

Now working on the aforementioned grease thing, then will do left front bearing and new tire.
Old July 11th, 2021, 04:07 PM
Running On Empty

James - Are you changing water filters in your house, is that what you're referring to? Did you get the MF'er off? I seldom think of eating pie in the summer time but a key lime pie with an Oreo pie shell does sound appealing.
John - Looks like you've been hitting it hard today. I can relate to wrestling w/ grease gun needles. I think I own every type known to mankind at this point. Probably not, but I have a bag full of them.
Chris - Yes it's been a productive two days of buttering bricks. Laying bricks for columns is nothing short of a lot of work, every single brick needs leveled and plumbed. I'd prefer to lay a 50' wall of brick than to build columns, but I'm not building a brick wall. Sometimes I think I'd prefer someone just beat my *** to a pulp. Laying the soldier courses and the first ten courses is the toughest.
Dan & Glenn - A friend of mine, John, has a 1964 Triumph Bonneville T-120 with the 650cc engine. When I first met John (while residing in Florida North of St. Petersburg) in 1989 I offered to help him restore his bike & he said he was going to get moving on it soon to restore it. Over the years he never did anything with the motorcycle. Unfortunately, John's life sorta turned to **** on him and he never did do anything with the bike. Several years ago I visited John and had a look at the bike - it was a complete bucket of rust and 100% completely non-salvageable. Another friend of mine has a complete collection of classic BMW motorcycles dating back maybe 50 years - I think he owns about one dozen of them including his two new touring bikes.
Old July 11th, 2021, 04:18 PM

Another friend of mine has a complete collection of classic BMW motorcycles dating back maybe 50 years - I think he owns about one dozen of them including his two new touring bikes.
Norm - I am a huge fan of the new, modern BMW R18 Classic. I love the retro style and lines of the bike. One of these days in the not too distant future I'm going to go test ride one. They're not as pricey as you would think for a BMW.

BMW R18 Classic

Old July 11th, 2021, 06:26 PM

Break #2.

Finally dropped both sides of the rear end to full rebound and wiggled the grease tip in there. Not a good solution. Front u joint went fine. Packed front left bearings, checked all, lubed brake pins, put back together with new tire on it.

Got under the car, the backdrive linkage is gone. No easy fix there. Got the electronics wires and checked power to kickdown, good, through switch, good, to trans, good. This means the solenoid is out, and I am not fixing that now. No kickdown for now, but that 455 manages ok to move under top gear anyway when pressed.

Put all 4 wheels on ground, torqued all lugs to 80 ft*lbs. Got spare kind of happy on jack equipment, got enough threads to get nut on and hold tire down. The 80s B body frame scissor jack is a wonderful thing to have; I need about 2 more of them.

Going to go align headlights now in the dark.
Old July 11th, 2021, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Break #2.

Going to go align headlights now in the dark.
Koda - Man, you are a glutton for punishment! You've had more than a full day!
Old July 11th, 2021, 08:36 PM

I used the CSM method. The picture is a little cryptic until you realize you need to measure the car. This car's headlights are 24.5" center off the ground, and the center of the outboard lights are 31.5" off the W0 centerline, conveniently represented by the Rocket logo in the middle of the grille. The lights work and are legal. I would like a LITTLE more up and left on the lows, but they are good for not blinding people. The highs are phenomenal. I saw a deer with the lows and made her jump going to highs.

Car seems to be running fine. Warmed up well, good A/C. Did not want to crank first try after aiming headlights, I think the battery way not topped, as it started fine again later. Did some tight 8s in a parking lot, small burnout to make sure I didn't add too much limited slip lube. Sitting in the damp while aiming lights fogged up the instruments, but they dried out. Goes like the hammers of hell. Tach is way off, knew about that. All lightbulbs throughout the car seem to be good.

There is a whistling noise with engine RPM that is new. It's pretty quiet, I am hoping it is belt noise on this humid night. Bigger test drive tomorrow.

Last edited by Koda; July 11th, 2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old July 12th, 2021, 04:15 AM

Norm, Yes, There are 2 in line filters between the pressure tank and the main house supply. It's the plastic cylinders that screw in from the bottom that hold the filters. I have a POS plastic wrench that came with them. I'm gonna use a piece of PVC to get more leverage

But smacking whitey comes 1st
Old July 12th, 2021, 04:45 AM
Running On Empty

James - Keep it in the short stuff.
Old July 12th, 2021, 10:04 AM

Norm, Cemetery calls made me miss my tee time and my group left without me [as well they should] So I decide to practice chipping until I holed 2 Never holed 2 but got several inside the leather. So day wasn't wasted
a
That's one of the issues with the death care business, people don't wait on it being convenient for you when they pass

Although I hate the expression

"It is what it is"
Old July 12th, 2021, 10:33 AM

James, so you go do the retrievals and pick up the newly deceased?
Old July 12th, 2021, 10:35 AM
GCH

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Glenn, a friend of my brother had a BSA back in the early '70's, a single thumper, which was 441 or 445 c.c.'s. I can't remember for sure. I always thought that it was a cool bike.
Single cylinder sounds great , i remember the Matchless 350cc

Dan & Glenn - A friend of mine, John, has a 1964 Triumph Bonneville T-120 with the 650cc engine. When I first met John (while residing in Florida North of St. Petersburg) in 1989 I offered to help him restore his bike & he said he was going to get moving on it soon to restore it. Over the years he never did anything with the motorcycle. Unfortunately, John's life sorta turned to **** on him and he never did do anything with the bike. Several years ago I visited John and had a look at the bike - it was a complete bucket of rust and 100% completely non-salvageable. Another friend of mine has a complete collection of classic BMW motorcycles dating back maybe 50 years - I think he owns about one dozen of them including his two new touring bikes.
Your columns looks great Norm , should be nice to see all when all work are finished . Sorry about your friend John.
Triumph are popular here both new and vintage models , sad that the bike become non-salvageable
My brothers fatherinlaw (?) have drive BMW for many years , also with sidecar. I was able to test a BMW 650cc with
sidecar and this was exiting in the corners He owns a URAL with sidecar now , easier in older days. Earlier he
owned a Zundapp sidecar from world war ll , but this is sold back to Germany several years ago , but what a bike

On saturday there was cruising here but it rained much until evening when the sun finaly came for a couple hours,
but 150+ cars showed up so we took the 98 for a ride

Old July 12th, 2021, 10:55 AM

James, so you go do the retrievals and pick up the newly deceased?

No, The funeral Homes do that I only sell cemetery lots in my "Green Cemetery", I sub out open and close the grave and the set up and take down of tent and chairs [but I have to mark them] and I sell markers [headstones]
Old July 12th, 2021, 10:59 AM

Ah yes, I had forgotten about the green cemetery. Now I remember.
Old July 12th, 2021, 11:17 AM

Glenn, I love the Africa corps bike
Old July 12th, 2021, 01:27 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Glenn, I love the Africa corps bike
My brothers fatherinlaws bike was painted in a darker colour but he had a friend visiting from Norway with a bike in that desert paint. I was able to try riding on the backseat with him .
Reverse gear , sidecar wheel driving , gearbox with hi and lo , pegs on front wheel axle who they stand on so the bike dont tip over in stip hills.
Old July 12th, 2021, 01:42 PM
Running On Empty

Glenn - Thanks for the compliments on the fence columns & I love the sidecar war motorcycle.
James - Yeah, I really don't like the saying "It is what it is", as well. I prefer "just roll with it". I played fair today. Terribly uncomfortable weather. My game was made enough worse because the golfer who shared my golf cart w/ me had a complete total **** ant attitude. I felt like telling him (numerous times) "Hey buddy, you aren't good enough to be acting like a F'ing asshat.
Old July 12th, 2021, 02:30 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Surprise of all surprises I was at my desk today, and with any luck will be there all week. It was supposed to be my week in inspection, but the one clown was going to work with me because he was going to have an evaluation on the machine, so I asked another guy, who recently got his sign-off, hey do you want to go work with him? He didn't care so that was that. We had a few challenges today and finished at 230 about 60 wheels down from where we needed to be. Oh well.

It had rained while I was at work but got home and it didn't look like it had rained at all. But it was cloudy and sure enough, rain came right after I got in the house. It isn't raining now but everything is wet and muddy.

Glenn that's a nice looking Ninety Eight. I love the big cars, especially a convertible.

Koda when I was in high school the auto shop teacher brought out one day some complex contraption that was what the dealers used to aim headlights. We tried it out and couldn't get it to work. For years I've been aiming my headlights against the garage door.

Norm this doesn't have an obvious answer to me. Are you bricking up one column at a time, or are you doing one course on each column, thus all the columns will be finished at the same time? ie doing a row on one column, moving to the next and doing a row, then moving to the next, etc.

Time for something to eat. I'll go in early tomorrow so it will be an early evening. Hope everyone's week started out good.

Old July 12th, 2021, 02:55 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I remember the contraption you're talking about. I used to use one of those contraptions. I worked at a Shell Service Gasoline station when I was in H.S. and directly after H.S. We had one of those headlamp alignment tools. It was on rollers.
Fair enough question regarding the columns. Well, one column is complete (the far right). My work ethic becomes a mantra - I like to tackle the most difficult first - and, this then becomes my mantra. Once I get it in my head I'll stick with it until it's done. So, to address your question(s):
(1) When I awoke (Saturday?) I decided to tackle the most difficult courses on the two remaining columns first, before moving upwards. The first (soldier) course is the absolute most difficult - not simply in terms of alignment, level & plumb - but it's a royal PITA on the back - constant up & down (primarily to wet more mortar as it gets dry quickly because the soldier course(s) take time. I'm essentially sitting on the ground. After the 1st (soldier) course, each course thereafter is still very difficult working off the ground, wetting more mortar, laying the course - you have to completely circle the column. Very much unlike laying courses along a wall - that's easy stuff;
(2) Remaining with my work ethic (and mantra) I'll tackle the first column again and start bringing up courses since those courses are still the absolute most difficult (in particular on your back & legs). So, I'll try to get both courses up to a height where I can comfortably "stand" on my two feet. Believe me, standing on your two feet and working around the columns is a breeze compared to working off the ground. So, I am tackling the most difficult job first.
(3) Once I get to standing and working on my feet, the job is much easier. Additionally, since my columns are 8' tall, I lay courses with my roll-around scaffold. So, once I achieve a certain height and begin using the scaffold, the job-site (if you will) remains at a particular dedicated height where I can roll the scaffold between columns.

My wood product(s) to build the fencing were delivered this morning ~ 8:15am. I was completely soaked in sweat for an hour before heading to golf as I moved the product(s) from where the delivery guys made the drop (only 3' from my man-cave), but it was 90°F & 92% humidity already this morning.
Old July 12th, 2021, 03:39 PM
Running On Empty

Time to give up another pint of the Claret - this Thursday @ 1:45pm
Old July 12th, 2021, 07:09 PM

Good evening guys,
Glenn - Glad you were able to get out for a cruise in the 98, it's a really cool ride.

Norm - Sorry you ended up with a douche bag for a cart mate today.

My wife had hit a real dry spell in her furniture sales and then the dam broke over the weekend. She sold a table and chairs set, a dresser, a tall chest-of-drawers, and this antique tea cart which was my favorite. I told her Monty made the sale for her.

Sometimes doing nothing, is the best thing of all!

Hope everyone has a great evening!
Old July 12th, 2021, 09:26 PM

That's a cute doggis. I hope he can breathe ok with all the wrinkles, I know some breeds struggle. Can he swim or is he too barrel chested?

Went on long test drive tonight. Manifested some issues. Rather than hijack this thread more, I made a post at https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...8/#post1355489
if you are interested (shameless plug.)

I'll wash and maybe wax the thing tomorrow.
Old July 12th, 2021, 09:57 PM

Glenn, cool bike and sidecar. "65 & '66 98's are one of my favorites. Good job with the assist, Monty.
Old July 12th, 2021, 11:00 PM
GCH

Originally Posted by slantflat
Glenn that's a nice looking Ninety Eight. I love the big cars, especially a convertible.
Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Glenn - Glad you were able to get out for a cruise in the 98, it's a really cool ride.
Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Glenn, cool bike and sidecar. "65 & '66 98's are one of my favorites.
Thanx , and Chris , please tell your wife that she does an awesome job on the furniture .

Here a video when driving the Zundapp KS750 in the Pyreneess mountains :

Last edited by GCH; July 12th, 2021 at 11:10 PM.
Old July 13th, 2021, 02:38 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Nice restoration of the tea cart - looks nice. When you think about it though, what a peculiar piece of formality - I mean a "tea" cart? No home (most likely estate mansion) is complete without one!

Glenn - I watched the entire video. OMG WTF Very impressive. Those guys really beat up their Zundapps. Wow...just Wow!

I'm off to play a course I've never played before - ~1.5hrs from here. I'm playing with another group of old geezers I've been playing with for two years now. It allows me to get out & play some courses I would otherwise never think of playing. Shotgun @ 9:00am
Old July 13th, 2021, 03:01 AM

That's a cute doggis. I hope he can breathe ok with all the wrinkles, I know some breeds struggle. Can he swim or is he too barrel chested?
John - Monty, is our male English Bulldog (in pic with tea cart), he is 5 years old and named after the British WWII Field Marshall, Bernard Law Montgomery. Maggie, curled up to my leg in the 2nd pic is our 3 year old female named after "Maggie Mae". They both breath fine, but Maggie had soft palate surgery when she was little to improve her airway. We do not know if they can swim or not, they have not been in the water. They're spoiled to death, can be stubborn as hell, especially Monty, but are also very loving. They're also a constant source of laughs and amusement, great dogs!
Old July 13th, 2021, 03:21 AM

Norm, Kapp them where the mowers go

Chris, Monty looks like he has had a tuff day supervising furniture restoration. It's hard work

Glenn, Cool video, thanks for sharing