The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2021, 02:31 AM

Lookie what I got, Ain't it pretty. Wonder how long it will stay that way?

Old July 3rd, 2021, 03:07 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Lookie what I got, Ain't it pretty. Wonder how long it will stay that way?
Very nice. They look so nice when new.

Old July 3rd, 2021, 03:57 PM

Looks really nice James!
Old July 3rd, 2021, 06:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone. Thanks for missing me.

I was just irritated, didn't feel like posting. A friend of mine made me laugh over it so I guess I can move on.

Beautiful evening. Went and got a pizza and then mowed some after eating. Came in, watched a little TV, and it's still light out. Love this time of year.

Went in for some overtime this morning. Got paid for 8 hours and left by 8. So what is that, I'm on overtime, work half the time I'm supposed to, triple time? Triple time and a half? Still made it to the Awful house.

Fireworks are starting early. They will probably go all through next week. Luckily Tiger is not bothered by them either.

Gonna continue on with the truck's brakes tomorrow. I needed a tool to get the back calipers apart, got the tool so now I can get the rotor off and take it to match it up for new ones. I'm not going to bother with NAPA this time, they have chinesium rotors, because there are no aftermarket rotors made in the USA, so I might as well get them someplace cheeper. I'd sure like for this project to be finished.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old July 4th, 2021, 04:29 AM

Fireworks last night, was great. Today is the 4th and our oldest granddaughters birthday. (our firecracker- we call her). She is 20, WHUT???, where has the time gone...It's warm and beautiful here. I been working on the older Polaris snowmobile, basically maintenance, easier to do when warm. I also bought a 20 year old clamshell enclosed snowmobile trailer that needs some love, and I am trying to get a gas gauge to work on the F100. Just small piddlely stuff to keep busy. Haven't done anything to the Olds. It sure is filthy but I'm not going to clean it until I take it to a event or something, It is so dusty around here now.
Old July 4th, 2021, 07:02 AM

Thanks for coming back Mike,

I was begging to think your " Marry me fly Free" T-shirt had kicked in and you and a significant other had flown off to Maui
Old July 4th, 2021, 07:24 AM

Happy 4th of July everyone,

Greg - Good to hear from you and that you're doing well.

Well, my "Car Day" yesterday was fun, but had it's good and bad points. I had just gotten to the morning/afternoon judged show and got my car staged about 0900 when I got a call from my buddy letting me know that the late afternoon/evening cruise event he was going to meet me at later in the day had been canceled. So, my all day "Car Day" turned into just 1 event instead of 2. Good news was my buddy rushed around and was able to get to the judged show that I was at around 1100, so I had some company which was nice. The show was well attended and there were a lot of spectators. Pretty much all the vacant spaces in the attached pics were filled by the time the registration closed at noon. Weather was absolutely beautiful with a high or 81 and some breeze. I had a ball talking with many owners and spectators. The very best thing about my car is it draws a lot of attention and folks wanting to talk about it, I really enjoy that!

No big plans for today. May get out for a ride for awhile at some point, and will probably grill something this evening for dinner. Waiting to hear from both my daughters as to what they're doing today. Might try to go visit with one or both of them if they're in town and just hanging out. Absolutely dreading tonight and the fireworks because of Monty's terrible fright and anxiety, but it is what it is. Hopefully the sedatives we got for him will make it easier for him, and us, to deal with.

Hope you all have a safe and wonderful 4th!

Old July 4th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Running On Empty

Mike had the “funk”.
Old July 4th, 2021, 09:40 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Thanks Jamesbo. No, my shirt still hangs in the closet. Never been to Maui. Although how cool would it be to have OGG on your suitcase tag.

Beautiful here. I'm still messing with brakes. Had to get special tools to get the back caliper off. Why it's different than the front is a mystery to me. But I finally got the tools and now have it apart. In a minute I'm going to get rotors. Both have chunks out of the edge, and while it doesn't look too bad for the pad, I'm thinking they will chip away at themselves and cause a problem later.

Norm this wasn't a funk, this was an out and out snit. I wouldn't say I'm over it but I am working on a way to deal with it.

Greg Happy Birthday to your granddaughter. I always thought it was cool having a distinctive birthday. Mine is the first day of summer. Good luck with all your projects. Visual progress is the key.

Chris maybe you could take Monty to the kennel. Maybe a little late now but I used to take my other dogs to the kennel. I've been back there and it's so loud they couldn't here an atom bomb. What's funny, even though they've been gone several years and Tiger doesn't mind noise, I still get a little edgy when there's fireworks or thunder, remembering what an ordeal it was for them. Nice pictures of the car show. My favorite is the one to the left of the F100.

Okay off to the auto parts store again. Hope everyone has a good 4th.

Old July 4th, 2021, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris maybe you could take Monty to the kennel. Maybe a little late now but I used to take my other dogs to the kennel. I've been back there and it's so loud they couldn't here an atom bomb. What's funny, even though they've been gone several years and Tiger doesn't mind noise, I still get a little edgy when there's fireworks or thunder, remembering what an ordeal it was for them. Nice pictures of the car show. My favorite is the one to the left of the F100.
Mike - Good luck finishing up the brakes, I hope it goes smoothly! Thanks for the compliment on the car show pics. I was lazy this time and didn't go around taking individual shots or I would have posted them. I should have waited until the lot was full before taking the panorama shots, but oh well, it is what it is, I'll be more conscientious next time.

That's a good suggestion about boarding Monty during all the fireworks. Neither Monty or Maggie have been without us for even one night, it would be a tough call as to whether the fireworks or the boarding would traumatize him more. I do however know which one would traumatize my wife the most! Let's just say Monty will not be going to the kennel!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 4th, 2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old July 4th, 2021, 11:27 AM
Always room for one more

I see what you're saying Chris. I never want to be without my dog(s) for a night or how ever long. But, when one considers the trauma they endured with the fireworks I felt like I was doing what was best for them, not me. I got over being without them a whole lot better than they got over the noise. I pray dog Heaven is free from loud noises.

Got my rotors. Tiger wants to take a quick break before we get back at it. It is that time. Man what a great day.

Old July 4th, 2021, 12:57 PM
Running On Empty

Norm this wasn't a funk, this was an out and out snit. I wouldn't say I'm over it but I am working on a way to deal with it.
Hope everyone has a good 4th.
Mike - We all occasionally have a snit. We wake up on the wrong side of the bed and wonder just who the hell is this person. Sometimes there's a reason, sometimes it's like voodoo. Sometimes we bring it upon ourselves, sometimes others gnaw on us (and, we'd like nothing more than to smack the living snot out of someone). A marriage counselor (in graduate school) explained to me everyone has options in controlling how they 'feel' about a situation: anger, resentment, hostility, sullen, withdrawn, compromise, reconciliation, detachment, hurt, vindictive, easy going, laid back, chill, etc. I believe the counselor was correct - we have choices as to how we handle a situation. However, I've also learned this - some people are simply down right pieces of **** and you have a right to be in a snit.

Old July 4th, 2021, 01:12 PM
Running On Empty

I spent the better part of the day buttering bricks. I laid two soldier courses on each of the two remaining columns. It's gorgeous outdoors. Then, I took a ride to the grocery store to grab some ice cream, brought it home, placed it in the freezer then headed downtown (downtown is one mile from my home (I live in a town of 3800 people - the county seat). Everyone was readying for the 4th of July parade - the streets were lined with people all camping out waiting for the parade to begin - a very festive sight. Riding down the main (parade) street I was thirty minutes ahead of the time when the parade was to begin (4PM). I drove by the many classic cars/trucks being staged for the parade. There are some really nice old classics in the parade and there's a really funky old fire (engine) truck. It's about the size of a little ice cream wagon - it's way cool, I liked it. I'm sure many thought I was in the parade or going to be in the parade. I love seeing people/families having a great time. The remainder of the day I'm devoting to watching movies: and, eating ice cream. Tee-time tomorrow is 8:30am. The club does not open late on holiday Mondays.
Old July 4th, 2021, 02:04 PM

Hi everyone.

Thanks Jamesbo. No, my shirt still hangs in the closet. Never been to Maui. Although how cool would it be to have OGG on your suitcase tag.
Well you should go sometime. They have wonderful potato chips

Old July 4th, 2021, 02:15 PM

Norm - Sometime you should volunteer to drive your Cutlass or ride your bike in the parade, both are absolutely "parade worthy". I'm sure all the spectators would enjoy seeing either, I know I would!
Old July 4th, 2021, 02:28 PM

Hello,

Went to Terre Haute yesterday with 20 gallons of ethanol free hi test to use as a pit stop on the way to HOCA nationals here in 12 days and back as I'll be going by and can use the garage. Damaged house leaks a little so I put more tubs down. Insurance guy says they're halfway through the claim; people are on me to get on him, and I'm like, let's see if he coughs up the full policy before I get on his ***. Brought home a load of old sleds, and shovels, and rakes, and implements of destruction as the song goes in my truck.

Today I went to my van's new temporary home, fired it up, put truck in the stall, and took the old green to a cars and coffee. Some old dudes like a 73 Econoline, but while the H/O was all over their facebook page, ain't no one computer literate taking and posting pictures of the van online. Funny thing, they did take pictures of some late 80s FWD Cutlasses which are pretty much universally reviled. Drove back to storage place, backed truck out, put truck load in front of stall, loaded van in, locked up and left. I left my genuine PBR thermometer in there, I think it gets 110 in there or so.

Home, lunch, nap, now I will work on H/O. Headlights, wipers, oil, lube, check bearings, put the good wheels on, check rear, some small problems, and other things for hopefully all this weekend.
Old July 4th, 2021, 02:28 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - I've been approached several times by the Town Of Beaufort & a couple other event groups (Christmas Flotilla, etc.), but it's just not my 'cup-of-tea'.
Old July 4th, 2021, 02:34 PM

James - I've never been to Maui, I hear it's beautiful. I'd really like to go to see the volcanoes. Wife and I went to Oahu and Kauai on our honeymoon. Had a little cottage right on the beach near Anahola on the eastern shore of Kauai for 7-days/nights, we thought it was the prettiest place we had ever seen. We loved it so much we went back to the same exact place the next year for 11-days. Of course we loved all the historical stuff on Oahu, including Pearl Harbor, the Missouri Battleship, Waikiki Beach (where we stayed), and the National Cemetery there. We even went for about an hour and a half dive in a real working submarine, the Atlantis. By far the very best Honeymoon we could have ever imagined!
Old July 4th, 2021, 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

I don't know about y'all but my 71 CS convertible (350/350) with a 2.56 rear end screams. I can downshift (passing gear) @ 60mph and it won't come out of passing gear until ~83mph. I don't know anything about the previous history of this engine. Other than having the intake manifold off to R&R the manifold gasket & the oil pan off to R&R the oil pan gasket (I did check the timing chain at that time and it was fine) I haven't touched the internals on this engine. It's a numbers matching engine (block anyways) and transmission. Not sure but the torque converter does look to be newer than OEM. I've flushed the transmission, but the fluid was a nice looking red with no metal. I replaced the oil pump but honestly I've done nothing with the internals on this engine &/or drive train. I'm amazed at the power of this engine/drive train.
Old July 4th, 2021, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

I've been to Oahu (Pearl Harbor) for work and that was all; and, Kona a couple times where I proceeded to play far too much golf - sometimes x2 rounds on the same day. I spent the majority of my time talking to the turtles.
Old July 4th, 2021, 03:16 PM
Always room for one more

I've been to Hawaii twice. Once on purpose and once by chance. The first time a childhood friend of mine lived there, whom I hadn't seen in years. I still kept up with his mom and when he found out I could fly to Hawaii for nothing he wanted me to come visit. He was on Kauai. Pretty place. I had an awful time. I quickly remembered why I didn't keep up with him. Spent 3 days there and couldn't get back fast enough.

Second time I was on my way to Australia and a passenger became ill and we diverted to Honolulu. The captain told us we were going to land, disembark the sick man, take on some fuel, and get back in the air. Sure. We landed, sat on the plane for hours, got off the plane and they promptly canceled the flight. I had hooked up with a couple people and we spent the day going between the airport and the beach. Had a great time on the beach. I assumed the crew and plane would deadhead back to Los Angeles, but it sat on the hardstand all day. They added an extra section non stop from Honolulu back to Atlanta, and used that plane. That's what I was on. To get to Australia I would have had to go back to LA and start over. I would have missed what I was going there for. By the way, the sick man laid down on the floor, then when the paramedics came on board he stood up and walked off the plane. I was pissed. I don't think he was sick at all, just was having some spell and then got over it. Eh.

Had an awesome rib dish my Mom made for me for my supper, now I'm going back to work on the truck. I got the one side all back together, after going to the store yet again for more stuff. Maybe the other side will go quicker.

Old July 4th, 2021, 04:18 PM

Chris, If I remember correctly, The volcanic national forest is on the big island between Hilo and Kona. Fishing with Black Bart out of Kona is a real experience. A friend of mine landed a HUDGE Blue Marlin. Could have been a world record but technicalities prevented it

Old July 4th, 2021, 04:41 PM

Chris, If I remember correctly, The volcanic national forest is on the big island between Hilo and Kona. Fishing with Black Bart out of Kona is a real experience. A friend of mine landed a HUDGE Blue Marlin. Could have been a world record but technicalities prevented it

James - You are correct, the big island has the most active volcanoes, I believe 4, including the largest, Mauna Loa. I believe Maui only has 1 active volcano, and I can't recall it's name. I had simply mentioned it because I would be able to see an active volcano in conjunction with what I've heard and read about the beauty of the rest of the island. I know the ones on Hawaii are much more spectacular. What we need to do the next time we go is go on one of those inter-island cruises.

Wow, is that the actual Marlin your friend caught??? What a monster!!! I would have loved to see that fish in person. Do you know how long it took him to land it???
Old July 4th, 2021, 04:55 PM

Chris, His the story 3 hours

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/blogs/tightening-drag/q-gary-merriman-inventor-tarpon-toad-fly/

The thing I will never forget is flying back from Hawaii to LA and a guy in the lounge of a 747 recited Robert Service the WHOLE flight
Old July 4th, 2021, 05:43 PM

Chris, His the story 3 hours

https://www.sportfishingmag.com/blogs/tightening-drag/q-gary-merriman-inventor-tarpon-toad-fly/

The thing I will never forget is flying back from Hawaii to LA and a guy in the lounge of a 747 recited Robert Service the WHOLE flight
James - Thanks for the link to the article, great read!.
Old July 4th, 2021, 07:41 PM
Always room for one more

It has been non stop bangs and booms for about two hours. Tiger is snoozing. He's not impressed.

Got the brakes finished. Oddly enough, the one side took me all day and the other side took less than an hour. Next up is an oil change and new fuel filter. Not quite as pressing.

Jamesbo who was this guy reciting to? Anyone who'd listen? Just sitting in his seat talking to himself? Who were you flying?

Norm all my 4 doors have that same engine/drivetrain combo and they are all screamers. And they'll burn one tire off the back without too much effort. I'm jealous that your car has power windows. A convertible without power windows is a giant PIA.

I'm tired and worn out but it will probably be an hour or better when I can go to bed. With all this racket I'd never get to sleep. Gotta be up early for the Awful house in the morning so I don't miss my friend, who's giving me a ride to drop off the dogmobile to have it worked on.

Old July 4th, 2021, 07:53 PM

It has been non stop bangs and booms for about two hours. Tiger is snoozing. He's not impressed.

Got the brakes finished. Oddly enough, the one side took me all day and the other side took less than an hour. Next up is an oil change and new fuel filter. Not quite as pressing.
Mike - Glad you were able to get your brakes done!
Been booming here also for about an hour and a half now. Way too many people spending big bucks on some big fireworks around here. Monty's doped up, so he's not trembling and panting himself horse. He's just resting comfortably. I honestly think it's gotta be better for him than the horrible state he gets himself into when he doesn't have the drugs.
Old July 4th, 2021, 08:39 PM

Norm, that is correct behavior for that era GM passenger car; stay in second to the redline when floored then shift back to high and keep on screaming.

I didn't take too many car show pictures today, but the facebook page had just one of my van. They liked my H/O two months ago, but very little love for the green machine. Included since it's a nice picture from a good camera and angle.

Old July 4th, 2021, 08:41 PM

Glad to hear Tiger is immune to fireworks and Monty is doing well. I am presently sitting in the closet with the older dog. She’s wearing her thunder shirt and ate 2 Trazadones but is still panting heavily, drooling, and trembling. I have Dragons Milk Stout and am playing music to cover some of the bangs and pops.

Just put on Ridin’ the Storm Out. That seems appropriate for the occasion.

Last edited by Fun71; July 4th, 2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old July 4th, 2021, 09:07 PM

I need some music. I wonder if I have any Judas Priest left in my "to listen to" vinyl crate.
Old July 4th, 2021, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Norm, that is correct behavior for that era GM passenger car; stay in second to the redline when floored then shift back to high and keep on screaming.

I didn't take too many car show pictures today, but the facebook page had just one of my van. They liked my H/O two months ago, but very little love for the green machine. Included since it's a nice picture from a good camera and angle.

I think "The Hulk" might be a good nickname for the green machine.
Old July 4th, 2021, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Glad to hear Tiger is immune to fireworks and Monty is doing well. I am presently sitting in the closet with the older dog. She’s wearing her thunder shirt and ate 2 Trazadones but is still panting heavily, drooling, and trembling. I have Dragons Milk Stout and am playing music to cover some of the bangs and pops.

Just put on Ridin’ the Storm Out. That seems appropriate for the occasion.
Kenneth - I'm sorry your girl (and you) is suffering, even with the drugs. The vet gave us "Acepromazine" for Monty. He just takes 1 and he's calm as a bug in a rug. Maybe ask your vet what he/she thinks about trying it on your pooch. We really love and trust our vet, and know she would never prescribe anything that would hurt Monty.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 4th, 2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old July 4th, 2021, 09:40 PM

We had ace pro for a previous dog and it seemed to work well. Maybe too well? I recall the dog stumbling down the hallway then flopping onto the carpet. Dunno why we’re using trazadone now - the wife is in charge of canine medications.

Koda, I have a buncha Judas Priest on vinyl. Used to fall asleep listening to Sad Wings of Destiny in high school. Good stuff.
Old July 4th, 2021, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
We had ace pro for a previous dog and it seemed to work well. Maybe too well? I recall the dog stumbling down the hallway then flopping onto the carpet. Dunno why we’re using trazadone now - the wife is in charge of canine medications.
Monty's motor skills don't seem to be too messed up. Now that the bulk of the fireworks have ended, he just followed us down the basement stairs and out the basement slider to go to the bathroom, and made it back up the stairs fine. He is moving pretty slow though and most of the time he just wants to snuggle up next to momma and sleep. I wonder if I took one if I could get away with that???
Old July 5th, 2021, 02:11 AM

IMike, It was up the spiral stair case in a bar. Yes anyone who would listen and found his poetic memory interesting Jamesbo who was this guy reciting to? Anyone who'd listen? Just sitting in his seat talking to himself? .

Mike, It was up a spiral stair case in a bar. Yes, Anyone that found his poetry memory interesting .

Oddly enough I have a long time friend that I grew up with who can also recite Service but would never bore anyone with it. Her mother taught it to her at a very young age as sort of a Bar trick .She can also whistle with her fingers inn her mouth so loud it would break glass Doesn't do that often either A true southern lady who has her small pox vaccination on her thigh so it wouldn't show when she wore an evening gown

Just MHO but this fireworks stuff has gotten completely out of hand. I axed the club manager who much the 20 minute show was going to cost. He said 30K. At the lake, they have a big one and ax for contributions. Last e-mail I got said, they had collected 85k of the 100 they needed I'd rather see that kind of money go to Saint Jude's that literally up in smoke

In Milton [ my city] people despise them but the fireworks lobby keep lining the state legislatures pockets so the city can't do much about it. Yes dogs can get frighten but also horses . A poor donkey had a heart aback near by a few years ago and perished
Old July 5th, 2021, 04:17 AM

Koda, I love the old van, old enough to be unusual and cool but modern enough to use. I really enjoy driving around in my F100, many times more so than the nice and shiney Cutlass. Yeah, Norm my 71 is just as yours, 2.56 gears and 350 4bbl. Shifts out of 1st about 50 and second 80. Usually does a good chirp into 2nd. That is about the only thing not stock on the car. I installed a B&M shift kit in trans years ago. When I first got car I bought a 455 out of a vandalized 76 98 and was going to hot rod it, but decided not to after I got the 65 Coronet and hot rodded that. I found out a rumpty rump noisy, high reving car was cool around town but not very fun to drive otherwise, so I'm glad I left Cutlass stock. Funny that brings up memories about that 76 98. I knew a guy that had a salvage yard. He bought 20-30 old cars from a Chevy dealership. That dealership would stockpile out cars that were traded in and ask too much or whatever and they piled up. Anyway one night some vandals went in the lot and smashed windows in the car lot. That's when owner of Chevy dealer decided to call owner of salvage yard and sold him vandalized cars. I went to salvage yard and gave owner $100.00 and towed 76 98 to my place. Put a battery in it and it ran great, drove it around with broken windows, tail and head lights... Ran great! Took out 455 and long turbo 400 and took back body. That engine was to be for Cutlass, but never came to be. OK enough hunt and pecking....
Old July 5th, 2021, 05:13 AM

Just MHO but this fireworks stuff has gotten completely out of hand. I axed the club manager who much the 20 minute show was going to cost. He said 30K. At the lake, they have a big one and ax for contributions. Last e-mail I got said, they had collected 85k of the 100 they needed I'd rather see that kind of money go to Saint Jude's that literally up in smoke
James - Amen Brother!
Old July 5th, 2021, 07:02 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Up early and to the Awful house. Got the dogmobile delivered to the mechanic and back home. I'm going to swap out the pickup for the car, because I presently don't have room for three drivers at my house.

Fireworks were going strong at midnight so I said the hell with it and went to bed. This morning was very foggy and I thought it was the smoke still lingering from the barrage. It's a beautiful day out.

Chris I'm glad the medicine worked for Monty. I can't imagine what they feel to be so scared. Kenneth good on you for hanging out in the closet. With the other two I'd end up having them both on a leash and just sitting on the couch. They seemed to calm down a little. I always wondered why they were so scared, they'd see me and see that I wasn't scared. I guess they didn't believe me.

No real plans for the day. Just putter around I guess. I'm not going to mow, and I'm not going to do anything that involves getting down on the ground. Hm, I don't know if that narrows it down much.

Okay whatever I do I'm going now to do it. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old July 5th, 2021, 07:46 AM

Fireworks weren't too bad last night. I was tempted to unload an AR at a stump, or rev a 455 or something, but I just grilled dinner and took a shower. Ken, I went for Jethro Tull last night, one record and got tired. My father would not let me plug the stump of the fallen tree at grandma's with my 357 Saturday as a 'firework.'

More work on the H/O today. Got sidetracked with grille tab repair and bumper alignment yesterday. The wiper blades were worn to the base; problems with buying a museum car. I used the Trico select a size. 47-400 I think. We'll see.

Old July 5th, 2021, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=slantflat;1353591]Good morning everyone.

Chris I'm glad the medicine worked for Monty. I can't imagine what they feel to be so scared. Kenneth good on you for hanging out in the closet. With the other two I'd end up having them both on a leash and just sitting on the couch. They seemed to calm down a little. I always wondered why they were so scared, they'd see me and see that I wasn't scared. I guess they didn't believe me.
[QUOTE]

Mike - Thanks for your concern about Monty. We're really, really, glad it works as well as it does. Just hoping it is not too hard on his system in ways we can't see on the outside! He was suffering horribly in the thunder and fireworks though, at least now he looks peaceful and at ease.