The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2021, 06:03 AM
Running On Empty

Some rain showers & isolated thunderstorms this morning which are clearing out rapidly. No golf today which is fine I'm dogged out from yesterday.
I pulled the top off the Hotpoint clothes dryer - double-checked the part numbers and placed an order for one Start Switch & one Selector **** with Clip. They should arrive in several days - found both on Amazon. Next, I'll do as Greg suggested & remove the back plate and vacuum the entire inside of the appliance. I'm going to play in the nine-hole shootout this afternoon if the rain holds off until then I haven't decided if I'll butter some bricks or begin cutting fencing boards. I purchased twenty five 16' x 8" x 1" boards (which equates to 16' x 7.25" x 0.75"). The fencing boards will be 7' tall so I need to cut them to size. I think I'll dog-ear the tops like I did the gate, as well.
Looking at that 1967 4-4-2 reminds me of the first car I ever owned (1967 Gold 4-4-2) back in 1969. Memories.
Old July 28th, 2021, 07:19 AM

Norm - Sure sounds like you have plenty of tasks and activities to fill up your day, and them some. Like you, every time I look at a '67 it takes me back to when I was 8 and car shopping with my Dad, good memories for sure!

This morning was the usual routine when it's hot and I've went for a ride the day before. Got out yesterday evening and cleaned the bike, and got out early this morning to put on detailer coat and put it away.

No big plans for today that I know of, but it's early, my wife may have other ideas. Going to my youngest daughter's house to visit on Friday evening and have pizza. The forecast now for Saturday is for a 50% chance of rain and thunderstorms, so it's been hard for me to get excited about getting out in the hot garage to work on sprucing the car up for a judged show. We'll see???

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old July 28th, 2021, 08:18 AM

I have grown to truly enjoy phuquing with kids

My sandwich today was $11.07. So I gave the poor child a twenty and a dime

Got the old deer in the headlights looks. I told her what she should give me in change but the deer just got closer to being an automobile statistic

Call the manager who points to the register and says, It's already been rung up [w/o the dime]

So If that is the number that pops up on the register It's treated as if it's The Magna Carta

I wonder if intelligent life exist on this orb
Old July 28th, 2021, 08:43 AM
Running On Empty

James - No need to wonder - intelligent life does not exist. Next question.
Old July 28th, 2021, 08:49 AM

James - I don't know what, or how, they're teaching these kids in school these days, but it sure isn't Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic! Most can't spell, write, or do simple math in their heads. They are totally clueless without a computer or calculator to do the job for them. I'm all for doing things smarter and faster, but it's very sad these kid don't understand the basic building blocks of our language and sciences.
Old July 28th, 2021, 08:59 AM
Running On Empty

What good is Reading, Righting & Rithmetic if you can't find a job?

Old July 28th, 2021, 09:01 AM

Apparently, the manager is no smarter than the kid running the register. Speaking of too much cam for the rear gears, way back in 1977 a guy was selling a very rough '70 W31, my buddy and I took it for a test drive. It was an auto, but the rear gears had been changed to 3.08's, my guess, because the oil embargo was just a year or three prior. Well, that thing would just not get up and go, that is until we took it out onto the highway, I leaned on the throttle as it slowly picked up speed, then around 70mph the rpms were where they needed to be, and it really started to go. Probably gave it a good top end, but we didn't go above 90.
Old July 28th, 2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
What good is Reading, Righting & Rithmetic if you can't find a job?

WTF, that's just hideous. God knows I'm very far from perfect, and have done some very stupid things in my day, but I count my blessings every day that my girl's listened (most of the time) to the lessons and values my Ex and I tried to teach them. While not always the case at the time, they are actually very appreciative as young adults as to where those lessons and values have gotten them! It has been a miraculous transformation, the once no nothing, overbearing, unyielding Father, transformed into the wise Grandpa!
Old July 28th, 2021, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Apparently, the manager is no smarter than the kid running the register. Speaking of too much cam for the rear gears, way back in 1977 a guy was selling a very rough '70 W31, my buddy and I took it for a test drive. It was an auto, but the rear gears had been changed to 3.08's, my guess, because the oil embargo was just a year or three prior. Well, that thing would just not get up and go, that is until we took it out onto the highway, I leaned on the throttle as it slowly picked up speed, then around 70mph the rpms were where they needed to be, and it really started to go. Probably gave it a good top end, but we didn't go above 90.
Dan - I don't do much multi-lane highway driving in my car. I am really happy with the 3.55 anti--spin unit in my '67 paired with the TH400 with a mild shift kit in it. All kinds of power in every gear through 65-mph, which is about as fast as I ever drive it. For how and where I drive it, I wouldn't change a thing, just an all around good combo! I'm only getting around 10 to 11-mpg, but that's just fine with me for how responsive the car feels, and how it sounds, when I'm just cruising around.
Old July 28th, 2021, 09:45 AM

Chris, the same buddy that was with me that day, looked at a '67 442 'vert years ago, 4spd and 3:55's, he said that it was a nice set up.
Old July 28th, 2021, 12:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Stayed until the bitter end today. Because it was fried chicken Wednesday and everyone went to lunch a half hour early or more. We ended needing less than 5 wheels. Pitiful.

Hot out. Sunny. I'm going to take some scrap metal over to the shop this afternoon. That should be fun.

So you guys remember when I posted that picture of my basement wall that is cracked and bowed in? It's always leaked a little but now it leaks a fair amount. In one corner I can hear water running through the blocks and it weeps out cracks in the mortar joints. The floor is not level and the water runs and finds the low spots and creates puddles. Could I get some caulk or other type sealant and close up these cracks on the inside? Will the water remaining in the blocks cause any kind of problem, the water is in there now but most of it runs out. Every year I say I don't think I have another year in that wall, and every year it is fine. But this year there are a couple new leaks.

Jamesbo let me guess. The kid handed you your change and you said Thank You, and she said "no problem."

Norm you still have any of the paper work to your 67? I keep a list of the letter and last 6 of the VIN numbers and the date code.

Okay I guess I'll get at it. Hope everyone is enjoying Hump Day.

Old July 28th, 2021, 01:32 PM

Mike, As you know, I'm still studying BONDO 101 on a Jerry can.Yes, I know Bondo won't hold gas, it's just a piece of dented up junk to try to learn body werk I now have to go to differed stores to buy more because, I'm too embarrassed to go back for yet another Bondo failure

I'm getting there and soon I'll start werk on the GT 40 I wrecked at Lemans

A couple of things I've learned

1]The can comes 1/2 empty [ or full depending on you perspective]

2] Mix it in the can, cardboard sets too quickly

3] Just because you have a little hardener left in the tube [from previous fail\ Don't add it to the new stuff [It will get hard as a 14 yo pecker and just as fast]

4] You can shape the Bondo with a cheese grader before it gets too hard

More to come on the most expensive Jerry can in History
Old July 28th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Just got in from mowing. Mike, you would have loved it, 95 degrees with a heat index of 108. Could have waited until the last 2-hours of light and probably would have been a few degrees cooler but just wanted to be done with it so I could relax this evening.

Momma's making Jambalaya tonight from a Zatarain's base. She will add extras to it like chopped green onions, chopped hot banana peppers, and andouille sausage. Shredded cheddar to go on top. Haven't had that in awhile and I'm looking forward it, I'm hungry already.

Hope everyone had a nice day!
Old July 28th, 2021, 02:10 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I have no documentation from the 1967 4-4-2 I purchased 52 years ago. You haven't done anything w/ your wall since the last time I made suggestions. The wall will continue to buckle, more mortar will be lost, the cinder blocks will continue to crack and the wall will eventually need to be completely removed and a new wall installed. You're essentially asking if the application of Scotch tape is going to fix a leak in an exhaust manifold. That wall most likely (hopefully) has concrete poured into the holes (voids) of each of the cinder blocks. There should also be rebar placed into each of the holes where concrete was poured (or every X number of rows of cinder block depending on building code). Eventually that wall (because of the water intrusion) is going to fail as the result of "spalling". Try whatever you like to fix the cracks and the mortar - I made suggestions for you over one year ago. My suggestions remain the same. What you really need to do, is use a backhoe to pull away the soil down to the footings, create a french drain around that wall and send the French drain down your backyard or whatever to an area lower than the footings of that wall. BTW, the reason the Champlain Towers collapsed in Florida is exactly for this reason - spalling.

Start viewing this video at the 2:00 minute time mark. Spalling DOES NOT have to be visible. It occurs from the inside out. You be the judge of what you'd like to do to repair your wall.

Old July 28th, 2021, 02:27 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Here's a basic search on the Champlain Towers using Google. Eventually the water intrusion in your cinder blocks is going to yield to spalling and the wall will die either a slow death or an immediate failure.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cham...w=1920&bih=976
Old July 28th, 2021, 02:42 PM

What sort of cracking in a basement cinder block wall is acceptable?
Old July 28th, 2021, 02:46 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
What sort of cracking in a basement cinder block wall is acceptable?
I have absolutely no idea. But, I would suggest any cracking which facilitates the movement of water intrusion into the cinder block is unacceptable.
Old July 28th, 2021, 03:05 PM

Jambalaya for dinner. Good stuff!
Old July 28th, 2021, 04:14 PM

In all my years growing up in SW Louisiana I never heard of anyone putting shredded cheese on jambalaya.

You're making Cajuns cry.
Old July 28th, 2021, 04:18 PM
Running On Empty

Ya know - I'm glad Kenneth brought it up. I thought about saying something then thought against saying anything (to each their own). It would never cross my mind to put cheese on jambalaya.
Old July 28th, 2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
In all my years growing up in SW Louisiana I never heard of anyone putting shredded cheese on jambalaya.

You're making Cajuns cry.
Sensitive are ya now! LoL

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 28th, 2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old July 28th, 2021, 05:14 PM
Always room for one more

Good thing I'm not Cajun, that looks pretty good. Though I'm not sure I've ever had Jambalaya.

Norm I didn't discount what you said a year ago, I rather appreciated it. In fact several years ago I bought a tractor with a backhoe with the intention of digging out the wall and redoing it. I should have asked today's question differently. I know a little sealer isn't going to restore the integrity of the wall, I'm just looking to keep the floor dry. There's no hiding this damage, nor would I try, and with any luck at all in the next couple months someone will come in here, lowball the hell out of me, and then they will be the proud new owners of a cracked cinderblock wall. Your video wouldn't load btw.

I've seen the effects of spalling, on the Dan Ryan Expressway of all places. Many times I've been driving to/from downtown and lanes have been blocked because chunks of the overpass have broken off and fallen into traffic. And then there's the Grant Park underground...

So I'm watching Starsky and Hutch. This episode they are chasing syndicate people who hustle tramps and hookers. The main bad dude is partners with his mother. Odd. They break into the one hooker's apartment, and the mother says, you call this a davenport?

Okay bedtime. Two more to go. Have a good night everyone.

Old July 28th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I wasn't implying you discounted what I suggested last year - sorry if it came across in that manner. I was simply saying things haven't changed any if you still want to fix the wall. It's a rather hit or miss situation really though isn't it? You have water intrusion into your cinder block(s) - that is issue number one. If you fix that issue you won't have any water intrusion into your cinder blocks and the current cracks in your cinder blocks wouldn't be leaking. If you want to seal the cracks there is an array of products you can use and the type of product is most often chosen after you've fixed the water intrusion itself. IOW, you have no more water intrusion and you're going to fix cracks which have appeared over many years but are not leaking any longer since you addressed issue number one. In that case, you could use almost any sealant to repair the cracks. In your situation, it's going to be rather hit or miss since you do have water intrusion and you're attempting to abate water from entering your house from known cracks which will continue to leak because issue number one has not been addressed. I might suggest 3M™ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200. I'm not 100% positive it will adhere to concrete and/or cinder block (but I bet it will). The key to the 5200 sealant is this - it cures under water. That is to say water will not effect its ability to cure. Therefore, if the product (cinder block) is wet and even saturated with water, 5200 will seal under water. They sell a quick cure and a normal cure time 5200 product. I would suggest you'd most likely want to get a polyurethane polymer which sets under water and which adheres to concrete.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 28th, 2021 at 06:06 PM. Reason: sp
Old July 28th, 2021, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Sensitive are ya now! LoL
Eh, I’m fairly tolerant.

At one Mardi Gras party here in Phoenix folks were putting crawfish étouffée on top of shrimp and sausage jambalaya. Even though it was all my home cookin’ and I had slaved over the stove all day, I gave the pilgrims a pass. Abita AndyGator and Turbo Dog have a tendency to mellow me out.
Old July 28th, 2021, 07:55 PM

Eh, I’m fairly tolerant.

At one Mardi Gras party here in Phoenix folks were putting crawfish étouffée on top of shrimp and sausage jambalaya. Even though it was all my home cookin’ and I had slaved over the stove all day, I gave the pilgrims a pass. Abita AndyGator and Turbo Dog have a tendency to mellow me out.
Had to look up the AndyGator and TurboDog beers. I love dark, heavy beers, definitely my favorites. I gotta find some of that TurboDog and give it a try!
Old July 28th, 2021, 08:02 PM

Here’s a good dark, heavy beer.

And this one is fairly local for you.

Old July 28th, 2021, 08:05 PM

Mike, I've got 50 bucks that says, they aren't "cinder" blocks but rather concrete blocks BIG difference
Old July 28th, 2021, 08:05 PM

Here’s a good dark, heavy beer.

And this one is fairly local for you.

I've had a few whiskey barrel aged stouts before, very potent, and very good! I already found a place fairly close to me that carries the TurboDog, and thanks for the tips on the stouts!
Old July 28th, 2021, 10:06 PM

Ah yes, Dragon's Milk, gotta couple of bottles in the fridge, can't drink it, sends my acid reflux into overdrive.
Old July 28th, 2021, 10:28 PM

Sorry to hear that. 😞

I went out back with the dogs around 10 and saw Jupiter was up at about 45 degrees, so I set up the telescope and snapped some pictures. They’re not the greatest quality, but I’m using an iPhone 6 so cut me some slack.

Last edited by Fun71; July 28th, 2021 at 10:32 PM.
Old July 29th, 2021, 02:45 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, I've got 50 bucks that says, they aren't "cinder" blocks but rather concrete blocks BIG difference
There is a big difference; however, I'll bet you a box of donuts they're cinder blocks. Regardless, whether the CBUs are cinder or concrete, at this point they're cracked and facilitating water intrusion.
Old July 29th, 2021, 04:12 AM

Sorry to hear that. 😞

I went out back with the dogs around 10 and saw Jupiter was up at about 45 degrees, so I set up the telescope and snapped some pictures. They’re not the greatest quality, but I’m using an iPhone 6 so cut me some slack.
Kenneth - Cool pictures, thanks for sharing!
Old July 29th, 2021, 04:59 AM

Neat pics, Ken.
Mike, If you are planning to sell your place after you get your new place, I would get that foundation fixed now. If it is detected on a buyers inspection and the sale is contingent on it's repair you may be in for a BIG hassle. If it gets reported to the local building inspector or other type Gestapo they may require it fixed whether you sell or not, then maybe place could be condemned, etc. Now you can fix it on your own without all the local inspector/ permits, etc. The more you can keep Big Brother out of your business, the better! Now you can fix it on your own as needed, maybe you could get ahold of a good back hoe guy who could do it without all the drama and permits, etc. Also if it is newly repaired and then place is sold, buyers will see new work and question it, If time has passed and repairs are not so obvious then it will be less likely a issue to them.
Old July 29th, 2021, 05:07 AM

Good morning guys,
Right now at 0700 it's 75 with a humidity of 98%, headed for an afternoon high of 100, Ugh! Forecast for Saturday is now a 75% chance for rain and severe thunderstorms. I have abandoned any plans for taking the car to a show on Saturday. Two of my favorite regularly scheduled monthly cruise-ins are coming up next Friday and Saturday, so I'll be waiting until then to get the car out again. If the weather forecast hits the mark we're headed for a really nice week next week with highs only in the mid-80's.

I need to run a few mundane errands sometime today, but other than that no big plans. It's going to be too hot for any outside activities, unless you're going swimming. I hope everyone has a great day!
Old July 29th, 2021, 06:52 AM
Running On Empty

I was up w/ the night crawlers - I've been buttering bricks since 6am.
Old July 29th, 2021, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I was up w/ the night crawlers - I've been buttering bricks since 6am.
YOU'RE a BEAST!
Old July 29th, 2021, 08:23 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
YOU'RE a BEAST!
I’m INSANE I think!
Old July 29th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike I was involved in commercial real estate for a number of years and I know James was. Water is the enemy of a building. It will never get better, only worse. You need to bite the bullet. Yeah, it ain't gonna be cheap. There will probably be two numbers to the left of the comma.
Old July 29th, 2021, 09:20 AM
Running On Empty

Glenn is correct. I spent $35K to remove & shore-up an old-style formed concrete foundation wall 8’H x 35’L x 12”Thick for a raised two-story duplex I owned up North where they speak Zamboni.
EDIT: You probably have a smaller wall. The building wall I had to remove and shore-up was built in 1901 and stood 45’ high.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; July 29th, 2021 at 09:23 AM.
Old July 29th, 2021, 09:27 AM

Severe weather went south of me last night, winds up to 75mph were forecast, but they missed. Damn road rage incident yesterday near me (about 5 miles) on U.S. 31 where I travel everyday. a young man (21 years old) was killed by a gunshot from another vehicle. They are looking for the gunman. Damn shame. A$$holes! I alway leave very early for work, so though I was re routed, and delayed, I made it on time.