The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2021, 02:14 PM
Running On Empty

I had every intention of buttering bricks this morning but instead elected to work on more wood framing for the fence. I cut a bunch of half-lap joinery for the framing. This little guy was keeping an eye on me for the better part of the afternoon. Friendly enough little bugger.

Old July 24th, 2021, 03:03 PM

Love seeing snakes, cool creatures! Used to catch them all the time as a boy and would keep them as pets for a short period of time and then release them. My Mom absolutely hated it.
Old July 24th, 2021, 07:45 PM
Always room for one more

Mowing in the heat must be a thing today. Took my push mower to the shop and mowed quite a bit. Oddly enough I have two riding mowers over there and neither are worth a tinker's dam. After that I fired up the big truck and took it to put some fuel in it. My friend never did stop by so I didn't pull any tree stumps. I will say that after driving that truck around my 2500HD Silverado seemed like a sports car.

Boy today I was in my element. Hot, sunny, working right out in it. Back when I was thin I walked 4 miles every day, and it was around 4 in the afternoon. I loved it. Today I felt the same as I did when I did that. Sweating that much gets a lot of toxins out of you. But I am beat tonight. I'd have been in bed by now but a friend of mine called me and talked for three hours. That's okay, I hadn't heard from him in awhile.

I decided not to do the ear wash on Tiger tonight. No need to get him all riled up and then go to bed. I hate to think what I paid for that stuff, but if it makes him that upset we're just not going to do it. I wish I would have had the forethought to say that this morning. He's also got some medicine to take to help the infection. I wrap that up in some cheese. He thinks it's a treat. We'll do the ear wash tomorrow.

Awful house in the morning. Probably Walmart. After that I don't have anything planned. Maybe look at the AC on the dogmobile. Gonna hit the sack and dream about it.

Have a good night everyone.

Old July 25th, 2021, 07:46 AM

Good morning guys,

Mike - Good luck with Tiger's ear flush today.

Got up and out into the garage around 0700 while it was still relatively cool to put detailer on my bike before putting it away. I had cleaned it yesterday evening during the last hour of light. Got lucky and got it done before the storms started because I had to pull it out into the drive to get it back into its normal garage slot.

We're supposed to get rain and storms throughout the day today, it's raining and rumbling right now. I had wanted to go over to my oldest daughter's house today and swim, but that isn't happening, guess we should have went yesterday. No other big plans for today.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!
Old July 25th, 2021, 11:30 AM

Hi guys,
Yesterday I had posted a couple neighbors and I rode down to Ste. Genevieve, MO, and that I thought it was the oldest town West of the Mississippi. I have verified that is indeed correct.

"Ste. Genevieve is the oldest town West of the Mississippi, established in the 1750s by French colonists, it continued to flourish as many more continued to arriive after the Louisiana Purchase in 1810, followed by immigrant groups as the 19th century progressed. The Mississippi River was part of French Louisiana. It became the principal civic center of the region, and continued to be so when the area passed into Spanish control with the Treaty of Paris in 1763. (Franzwa, Gregory M., The Story of Old Ste. Genevieve, Tucson: Patrice Press, 1998)."

Here are a few pics of the many historic buildings that can be seen there. Fun place to visit for the day, and several cool B&B's.

Old July 25th, 2021, 11:31 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another beautiful and hot day. Since I was away all afternoon yesterday I'm hanging out with Tiger. We're cleaning the kitchen. He's a good helper.

I'm dragging my feet doing the ear wash thing. He really hates it and he shakes his head trying to get it all out of his ears. A dog shaking his head a lot is a bad thing. I think I've convinced myself.

Jamesbo when does your crew go home? We've never been close to either side of my family, but we'd get together for Christmas and when we'd be visiting grandparents I'd play with my cousins. I miss all that. My plan was to have a big family and do all that get together stuff, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Hope Koda is having a good visit with his family.

After 4 I'm gonna go out and start cleaning the truck. It's been so long since I've washed it it's fuzzy. I'll do one section at a time, scrub it down real well and then a coat of wax. I'm gonna see if my auto-restorer neighbor will paint the quarter panel. It has a dent down low and some scratches and a couple hail dents.

Okay break is over. Hope everyone is enjoying Sunday.

Old July 25th, 2021, 11:34 AM
Always room for one more

Chris you snuck right in before me. Those are great pictures. I bet the building in the third picture is one of the oldest buildings there. It just has a look. Love places like that.

Old July 25th, 2021, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris you snuck right in before me. Those are great pictures. I bet the building in the third picture is one of the oldest buildings there. It just has a look. Love places like that.
Mike - Thanks, but I can't take credit for the pics, they're off the net, but I have been there several times and have seen them all in person. One of the first 3 pics is the oldest, I can't recall for sure which one, I am thinking it's the 1st one. Wife and I stayed at a B&B there once about 10-years ago which was fun. There's quite a few antique and collectable shops in the historic district which we both enjoyed browsing through. Everything was way overpriced, but still fun to look. They also have a car cruise once a month down in the historic district that I'm going to make it to some day. I will probably go in the fall when it's cooler because it's about a 65-mile drive down there.
Old July 25th, 2021, 11:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

"Ste. Genevieve is the oldest town West of the Mississippi, established in the 1750s by French colonists, it continued to flourish as many more continued to arriive after the Louisiana Purchase in 1810, followed by immigrant groups as the 19th century progressed. The Mississippi River was part of French Louisiana. It became the principal civic center of the region, and continued to be so when the area passed into Spanish control with the Treaty of Paris in 1763. (Franzwa, Gregory M., The Story of Old Ste. Genevieve, Tucson: Patrice Press, 1998)."

That looks like a great old town but I don't believe it is the oldest town west of the Mississippi. I think that distinction goes to Natchitoches, LA which is the oldest city in the Louisiana Purchase being founded in 1714. Maybe they are going by date of incorporation which might be different. Here is the Wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchitoches,_Louisiana
Old July 25th, 2021, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman

That looks like a great old town but I don't believe it is the oldest town west of the Mississippi. I think that distinction goes to Natchitoches, LA which is the oldest city in the Louisiana Purchase being founded in 1714. Maybe they are going by date of incorporation which might be different. Here is the Wiki link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchitoches,_Louisiana
Who knows what to believe on the web, but I "Googled" what is the oldest town west of the Mississippi and the story at the top of the list said Ste. Genevieve. Here is the link:
https://www.lakenewsonline.com/lifes...of-mississippi
Like I said, who knows, they're both more than +200-years!
Old July 25th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Natchitoches wasn't incorporated until 1812 after LA became a state. So you could make a case either way. So it was probably a settlement until 1812. It is a neat little town if you ever have the chance to visit.
Old July 25th, 2021, 12:14 PM

Natchitoches wasn't incorporated until 1812 after LA became a state. So you could make a case either way. So it was probably a settlement until 1812. It is a neat little town if you ever have the chance to visit.
I would love to visit it, wife and I both love seeing historic old towns like that! Hannibal, MO, Mark Twain's boyhood home is another really neat old Missouri River town. I checked Wikipedia to see what it said about Ste. Genevieve, and it said Ste. Genevieve is the oldest town west of the Mississippi, so it's contradicting itself regarding one vs. the other, not surprising! Wikipedia did say Ste. Genevieve was incorporated in 1805.
Old July 25th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

So technically they are correct. They both have been around a long time. They have a big car show there in October every year. They called it Back To The Fifties for several years but I imagine that conflicted with the one in Minnesota. I have been to it once but I think there might be a little prejudice against cars with Texas plates. Here is a link to the car show.

http://natchitochescarshow.com/
Old July 25th, 2021, 01:28 PM

Mike, I left them their for a few more days. I had to return to help a few families in need
Old July 25th, 2021, 03:28 PM

So technically they are correct. They both have been around a long time. They have a big car show there in October every year. They called it Back To The Fifties for several years but I imagine that conflicted with the one in Minnesota. I have been to it once but I think there might be a little prejudice against cars with Texas plates. Here is a link to the car show.
http://natchitochescarshow.com/
Looks like a nice show, thanks for sharing the link!
Old July 25th, 2021, 07:24 PM

Been raining here off and on for the past three days or so. Wow it’s great to have clouds! Typically the air temp is multiplied by the unrelenting broiling sun beating down, but no sun means no intense heating. The down side is the humidity is WAY up, as in 70% and higher.
Temperatures have been in the low- to mid-80s which has been a wonderful reprieve from the 105+ for this time of year. Imagine a 20 degree drop from usual. WooHoo!

This is like living on the Gulf Coast again!

This is just crazy for Phoenix in July!

Last edited by Fun71; July 25th, 2021 at 07:27 PM.
Old July 25th, 2021, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Been raining here off and on for the past three days or so. Wow it’s great to have clouds! Typically the air temp is multiplied by the unrelenting broiling sun beating down, but no sun means no intense heating. The down side is the humidity is WAY up, as in 70% and higher.
Temperatures have been in the low- to mid-80s which has been a wonderful reprieve from the 105+ for this time of year. Imagine a 20 degree drop from usual. WooHoo!

This is like living on the Gulf Coast again!

This is just crazy for Phoenix in July!
Nice! Glad you're getting a break Kenneth!
Old July 26th, 2021, 06:38 AM

Good morning guys,
Looks like we're looking at a lot of sunshine this week and warming temps at least until Friday. Full sunshine and a high of about 90 today, gradually warming each day to a high of 98 on Thursday, with very low chances of rain. Going for a motorcycle ride with a buddy tomorrow between about 0830 and 1430. Don't know where we're headed yet, I usually let this friend plan the rides I go on with him because he's usually not up for high mileage rides and he needs to stop for lunch someplace for medical reasons.

No other big plans for today, or the rest of the week for that matter. Looking forward to the possibility of getting the car out to one or two judged shows this coming weekend if the weather cooperates. I'm going to need to start in on a thorough cleaning if I'm going to enter it though. I've had the car out to several cruise in events since the last judged show and it needs a thorough detailing. Still waiting on those damn Historic plates. I'm going to try and call the State again today and see what's going on. I tried to call last Friday afternoon and was on hold for an hour and gave up, needless to say, I was really PO'ed.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old July 26th, 2021, 09:10 AM

Hi guys,
After an hour and 20-minutes on hold with DMV headquarters in Jefferson City I finally got to talk with an actual representative. They confirmed they received my application for Historic plates on 14 June, and cashed my check on 14 July. The person then told me that after cashing my check there is another 2-week processing period for shipping and that my plates are scheduled to ship via standard USPS this Friday, with no method available for me to track the delivery. AiYiYi!!! It's a miracle anything ever gets done in this State!!!
Old July 26th, 2021, 04:20 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Been running around today trying to catch up on errands and the like. Went to Walmart, the library, got a battery for one of the big trucks. Didn't finish everything I set out to but still got a lot done. I'm pleased.

The loan people are still at it. I got another email wanting inane things and I sent that to them. They said it wasn't good enough. I said I'm at the end of my road with you people. I honestly think they're messing with me now. I called my agent and told him to get them straightened out. I don't know if he's part of the games but I think he's as frustrated as I am.

Glenn glad to see you back here. Please stay. Funny how there's debate over what's the oldest town west of the Mississippi. That's similar to the debate over who invented the banana split.

Red letter day here in the Greater Stockbridge Area. Was at the Awful house twice. Breakfast with everyone this morning, and during my errands went past around 2 and thought, I haven't had lunch yet. So I stopped in. Back tomorrow for breakfast, but tomorrow night I'll do something fun with Tiger. Get a pizza maybe, or Arby's. Something he can participate in. Or, if I wasn't from the midwest, something in which he can participate.

I guess I'll take the dogmobile back to that guy. I need to go swap the car for it over at the shop and I'll drop it off tomorrow morning. It really doesn't matter where I take it I suppose, it just needs to get fixed. Hopefully third time's the charm.

Okay gonna settle in for the evening. Hope everyone had a good Monday.

Old July 26th, 2021, 05:24 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Thanks Mike. I will try and drop back in from time to time. I always like these kind of discussions. Others that are always debated are where the hamburger and pizza were invented. Athens, Texas which is east of here claims to have invented the hamburger.
Old July 26th, 2021, 05:54 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Nice pictures of the cruise-in. Be like Alfred Hitchcock & inconspicuously sneak your car (like you did) into at least one of the pictures @ each show. Hitchcock made 50 films and he appeared in 40 of those films either as a passerby, a pedestrian, a picture in a newspaper, etc. Thirty-nine of his films are archived, one of the them (his 2nd film Mountain Eagle was lost). I own ~25 of his films. I would never wait on the telephone for 1.5hrs for anyone.

Mike -
Or, if I wasn't from the Midwest, something in which he can participate.
You learned well. Zamboni!!!

Referencing the oldest town West of the Mississippi is interesting. The oldest town West of the Mississippi River is based upon (I guess) what someone (or some body politic) considers to be a town, as opposed to a colony, a settlement, a community, a city, a borough, a township, a hamlet, a village, etc. & (I guess) when/if it was incorporated. I'm pretty sure Santa Fe, NM was established by the Spanish ~1607 (of course prior to the Louisiana Purchase from France); and, there's Acoma Pueblo (Sky City), NM (oldest continuously occupied community in the U.S. dating to 1144); and, how about Poverty Point, LA (abandoned around 1100 B.C.) - that's roughly 3,000 years ago. Clearly, IMO, it's who, what, when, where & why some body politic considers the name 'town' (I guess) to have been considered a 'town'. I can see how Natchitoches made the List of North American settlements by year of foundation, but I'm not so keen to discount the notion there were most likely many so-called 'towns' West of the Mississippi River prior to the Louisiana Purchase.

40/42 today. I cannot for the life of me remain consistent in shooting below 80.

Far too much for me to discuss regarding work on The Wall, so I won't bore anyone. Suffice it to say I'm burning the candle at both ends.

Old July 26th, 2021, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Nice pictures of the cruise-in. Be like Alfred Hitchcock & inconspicuously sneak your car (like you did) into at least one of the pictures @ each show. Hitchcock made 50 films and he appeared in 40 of those films either as a passerby, a pedestrian, a picture in a newspaper, etc. Thirty-nine of his films are archived, one of the them (his 2nd film Mountain Eagle was lost). I own ~25 of his films. I would never wait on the telephone for 1.5hrs for anyone.
Norm - Thanks for the compliment on the cruise pics. I honestly am not trying to sneak in a pic of my car, but ol' eagle eye Mike always seems to find it, maybe I'm doing it subconsciously??? I knew Hitchcock had cameo appearances in many of his films, but I would have never guessed 40 out of 50! Believe me, I was fuming over the call to the DMV, but I really needed to know if the plates had shipped yet or were potentially lost, basically just WTH was going on??? My current plates expire this coming Sunday the 31st, the new ones won't get here until probably Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe??? It will be 47-days on Sunday since they received my application, the whole thing is absolutely infuriating!
Old July 26th, 2021, 07:06 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - You stated they cashed your check. Go on-line to your bank account and find the check they cashed. Make a copy of the check and put it in your wallet or glove box or whatever in case you need to show an LEO. They're (generally) not going to issue a citation for an expired tag if you have documentation demonstrating your good faith effort.
Old July 26th, 2021, 07:17 PM

Chris - You stated they cashed your check. Go on-line to your bank account and find the check they cashed. Make a copy of the check and put it in your wallet or glove box or whatever in case you need to show an LEO. They're (generally) not going to issue a citation for an expired tag if you have documentation demonstrating your good faith effort.
Norm - One step ahead of you brother, I've got a copy of the application, USPS receipt of delivery of application to DMV on June 14th (sent registered), and the copy of the cashed check already in my glove box. I'm not getting a ticket because of their damn incompetence. Appreciate the suggestion though!
Old July 26th, 2021, 08:38 PM
Running On Empty

Argh - My clothes dryer just went South. It came with the house when I purchased the home in 2001 & I think the clothes dryer was most likely 20 years old already when I purchased the house. It's a Heavy Duty HOTPOINT clothes dryer. There's a place on-line (PartsSelect) which has nearly every single part for any washer/dryer and/or appliance known to humankind. I believe the starter SW has gone belly-up. In the meantime, my current load of laundry is hanging from every available clothes hanger in the house. Tee-time tomorrow morning 9am on another new course I have never played (one hour from my home).
Old July 27th, 2021, 03:11 AM

Norm, run some cord between those brick columns until ya get the dryer fixed
Old July 27th, 2021, 03:42 AM
Running On Empty

James - That's an excellent suggestion. Pop-up showers/thunderstorms looming across the general area. Hopefully we'll get in 18 this morning. Time to drive to Jacksonville, NC (Jacksonville Country Club).
Old July 27th, 2021, 03:53 AM

Norm, usta work on dryers, very simple. BIGGEST issue on dryers is air flow. Lint gets things all clogged up, makes limits open,etc. Some limits reset after cooling, others need to be manually reset. As you said most all parts are available cheaply. But if it's 20 years old that's your call, but the way things are now you might not be able to get a new one right away. Whatever you do make sure your vent is clean and not too long, Oh, and not corrigated plastic...
Things going well here, perfect weather.
Old July 27th, 2021, 07:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Dropped the dogmobile off at the mechanic after Awful house. Probably take a couple days. This morning I'm going to go install the new battery in the white DUKW. Maybe do some more mowing at the shop.

Norm I need a new dryer as well. I'm not about to take it all apart and start fixing single items. It's about 15 years old so I think I got my money out of it. My washing machine is about 10 years old but I'm getting a new one of them because it randomly chews things up. Greg every year or so I bring my leaf blower in the house and clean out the dryer duct. Does a pretty good job.

Kenneth it must be winter at your house. Can you swim in the pool now?

Gotta end early this afternoon so I can get to bed for work in the morning. It sure has been nice being off these extra couple days. I've gotten a lot done which is a little amazing to me actually. Tried to spend a lot of time with Tiger as well. There's rumors of a weekend shift at work, and I'd be all over that. It means overtime goes away, but I'd trade that for four days off every week.

Okay have a good day everyone, the week is well underway. Hope everyone is doing well.

Old July 27th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - This dryer should last a lifetime if taken care of properly. The issue is a no start condition caused by a malfunctioning start switch. Simply stated the start switch has bit the dust. It's been acting up for the better part of one year. I've already located the correct part on PartsSelect. I'm amazed they have availability of every single part for this dryer & each part is an OEM part. That boggles my mind. BTW, I've removed the back plate twice in 20 years and vacuumed all the lent from the inside. If a car can last 50+ years a well made clothes dryer can last a lifetime as long as parts are available. This is a simple fix - pull the top plate (dashboard), remove start switch, install start switch, replace top plate (dashboard).

Mike - Nope. I'm not buying a new clothes dryer. A new start switch is ~$35.00. I think the high temperature limit gauge may be acting up, but I'm not going to replace it unless it completely dies & it hasn't died, yet. I've never cleaned a clothes dryer duct with a leaf blower. I disconnect the duct from the clothes dryer and vacuum the inside of the clothes dryer duct.

It is disgustingly hot!

BTW, everyone should drain their water heater this coming weekend - it's the right thing to do.
Old July 27th, 2021, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Kenneth it must be winter at your house. Can you swim in the pool now?
The sun came back out and the temperatures are running up to 105 this week. The pool temp dropped down to 86º due to all the cloud cover and rain. The wife won't get in if it's below 88, so it will be a few days yet.

This is a simple fix - pull the top plate (dashboard), remove start switch, install start switch, replace top plate (dashboard).
That reminded me of a time back in high school when I worked on Mom's dryer. Exact same process as you described, including the part about forgetting to unplug the power cord as a first step. Wow, did sparks fly when the wrench contacted the power wire.
Old July 27th, 2021, 12:48 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
That reminded me of a time back in high school when I worked on Mom's dryer. Exact same process as you described, including the part about forgetting to unplug the power cord as a first step. Wow, did sparks fly when the wrench contacted the power wire.
Now that's funny! When the dryer went South last night my first line of defense was (1) turn off the double-pole circuit breaker (it's wired for 240V) and (2) disconnect the power cord. A swimming pool >88°F is more like a hot tub isn't it?
Old July 27th, 2021, 03:12 PM

Good afternoon guys,
Norm - Sorry your dryer went out. Good thing you have the skills and gumption to fix it. My buddy I rode with today hit the trifecta. His A/C went out a week and a half ago, his dryer last week, and his water heater this past weekend, Ugh!

Left out this morning on my bike at 0815 and met my buddy in House Springs where he lives at 0900. Rode from there to Hillsboro, on to DeSoto, from there to Potosi, on to Bellgrade, and finally Sullivan where we ate lunch. Rode from Sullivan to St. Clair to Cedar Hill and back to House Springs, then I headed home to Pevely, getting home at 1500. The whole trip was 2 lane backroads, 225-miles round trip for me. Great ride, great day! Nothing is any more relaxing for me than being out for a ride through the scenic countryside!

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old July 27th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Sounds like a great ride - I'm envious. Nothing better than two-lane back country roads for riding on a pleasant day. Today was simply disgusting - heat index of 106°F, no wind, 92% humidity. And, I played pasture pool in this weather - argh! Never played the course previously. I shot a 47/39. Two holes ate my lunch. On a positive note, I was absolutely crushing my driver - several drives >250+ yards - one was ~285 yards. That is not the type trifecta I want to win.
Old July 27th, 2021, 03:38 PM

Chris - Sounds like a great ride - I'm envious. Nothing better than two-lane back country roads for riding on a pleasant day. Today was simply disgusting - heat index of 106°F, no wind, 92% humidity. And, I played pasture pool in this weather - argh! Never played the course previously. I shot a 47/39. Two holes ate my lunch. On a positive note, I was absolutely crushing my driver - several drives >250+ yards - one was ~285 yards. That is not the type trifecta I want to win.
Norm - It was warm here too, by the time I got home at 1500 it was 93 with a heat index of 103. One of the good things about the areas we were riding in was there were alot of tall trees and we were riding in the shade much of the time. I can't imagine playing golf in that weather was a whole lot of fun. I know I never enjoyed it too much when it was that hot! Glad you were nailing the driver though!
Old July 27th, 2021, 05:04 PM
Always room for one more

Our power has been out almost two hours. A pretty bad thunderstorm came through and it actually got Tiger a little freaked out. I'd never seen that. So we sat close on the couch and waited it out. It's still pretty light out but it's getting dark in the house, I might as well go to bed. Getting up early for overtime in the morning.

This afternoon was beautiful and warm. I installed the battery in the white DUKW and it fired right up. Man does that thing run smooth. I moved it to the other side of the yard and got some mowing done. The mechanic called after having the car only a couple hours and said it was ready. Another broken wire. He didn't charge me anything. So I hope I'm done with AC repairs.

Chris the few times I took off riding with a buddy on the back roads I enjoyed it. One time we rode to Panama City and stayed over night. It was March and we were on a very hilly road, when we were down in the bottom of the hill it was freezing and when we went to the top it was warm. Try that for a couple hours straight! Quite the trip though.

Norm I used to have an old Kenmore dryer in avocado, that I repaired. The belt broke and the drum wouldn't turn. I had that thing all apart, got a new belt from Sears, and was back in business. I don't remember why I got rid of it. Probably stopped heating. Anyway, I can show you a faint scar that used to be big from where I sliced my hand open on the rather sharp edge of the top of the dryer.

Okay I'm not one to sit in the dark if I don't have to, so I'm hitting the sack. Starting my week on Hump Day, that's the way to do it. I'll be at my desk this week, hopefully for a few weeks. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old July 27th, 2021, 07:43 PM

Well the pool warmed up to 91 degrees. It still felt good after mowing the grass. Got a wall of dust blowing in now so there must be a thunderstorm nearby. Judging by the dairy barn smell it must be to the southeast in the Gilbert area.
Old July 27th, 2021, 09:08 PM

Met contractor at grandma's today to make a competing quote to fight the low insurance estimate. I find lawyers, used car salesmen, reporters, insurance agents, and utility phone staff to be scum.

Fired the 67 up. Cranked minimum idle up to ~1000 in park and 400 in gear. Drive really takes it out of it. I need to make sure the switch pitch trigger system is working. Could not get my timing light to work on it, but ended up with 11" of vacuum at 900 rpm in park. Added the quart of ATF the big leak always needs. Took off for a drive. Thing died on me a few blocks from grandma's so I turned to keep rolling for home and got it running again. Hit US41 and took off for a sprint, got rubber in second and maybe top, there's a shift kit in there.

Poor car struggles with a redneck job of a shift kit, a "w-30" cam, yet a 3.08 rear. I think I will never get it to run right until I change the cam and rebuild the transmission. Oh well, it runs well enough to get on a trailer for the ride to Evansville sometime soon.

Last edited by Koda; July 27th, 2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old July 28th, 2021, 05:39 AM

John - I hope you get at least a fair settlement out of the insurance company. Insurance is such a fricking racket, I hate dealing with them! Best of luck!