The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2021, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - 40+ days to get a license plate...that's insane. Excuse me but is that what I think it is in that cup...a cup of ketchup? Is someone sharing that plate with you?
Norm - Yep, over 40-days now on the damn plates. Can't get Historic plates at the local DMV, you have to send your application in to the State DMV Headquarters for processing. I called before I sent my application in to see how long it was taking to process applications and the best they could tell me was they were running over 30-days due to personnel shortages. This State is so bass ackwards in so many ways!

Yep, also correct on ketchup in the cup, I like a few tots with my ketchup. I'm a ketchupoholic! However, all the food on that plate is my dinner alone. My wife and kids regularly call me "the bottomless pit". I'm definitely gonna have to find a way to change my eating habits when the day comes when I can no longer continue the workout regimen I adhere to now.
Old July 21st, 2021, 04:09 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Ah - the cup of ketchup is for the tator tots, now that makes sense. I don't put ketchup on tator tots but that makes sense. That's a mountain of food, but if that's what it takes chow down big dog! I still haven't purchased a Razzleberry pie but it's on my list.
Old July 21st, 2021, 04:27 PM

I noticed a lack of beer to go along with those brats.
Old July 21st, 2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I noticed a lack of beer to go along with those brats.
Kenneth - I like to save the beer to go with my pie just kidding! Thank goodness a couple of cold ones showed up at the table to help wash that pile down!
Old July 21st, 2021, 10:54 PM

Mike, I think that I would try someone else for the A/C. I can't see throwing more money at the same guy to try and get it right. Kenneth....Ketchup on brats!!! WTH!.

Last edited by 1969w3155; July 21st, 2021 at 10:57 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Mike, I think that I would try someone else for the A/C. I can't see throwing more money at the same guy to try and get it right. Kenneth....Ketchup on brats!!! WTH!.
I agree. Nobody gets three tries! Also no to ketchup on brats.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 04:21 AM

Mike, No not the 7 sister, There would be a few killings with that crowd. This is cousin crowd It's growing from 12 to 18

I left the dishwasher door open, to see how many people would trip over it before taking the hint that it needs to be unloaded

Chris, Ya need too add sum Varsity chili to them dogs
Old July 22nd, 2021, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo

Chris, Ya need too add sum Varsity chili to them dogs
James - I'm sure you've already figured out I just love food, period! I do love a good chili dog and we have them regularly, but I don't really care for chili on bratwurst, which are what those are in my post above. I've never seen "Varsity" canned chili, I see it's an Atlanta product on the can, I don't know if any stores out here carry that or not. Wife and I like "Chili Man" that we buy in the six-packs from Sam's Club.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 22nd, 2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 05:41 AM

https://thevarsity.com/shop/varsity-chili-in-a-can.html

Chris, It ain't cheap but you get what you pay for [if you're lucky]
Old July 22nd, 2021, 06:46 AM

https://thevarsity.com/shop/varsity-chili-in-a-can.html

Chris, It ain't cheap but you get what you pay for [if you're lucky]
James- Thanks for the link! Wow, you're right, it ain't cheap at over $5 a can. I do see it's all meat and no beans though. I went and checked the cost of the Chili Man w/beans we buy at Sam's, it actually comes in an 8-pack and not a 6-pack like I incorrectly posted. It's about a $1.10 a can. I can just hear my wife if I asked her to order a $5 can of Chili, "Have you just got more money than you have sense, I'm not going to eat a $5 can of Chili!" She's a frugal one, comes honestly from never having much, and having to work her butt off for what little she did have. I love her for being that way, but makes it tough for me to spoil her too often!!
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:24 PM

Chris, I always make my own chili [with beans] so I don't have anything to compare it to. I only use the expensive Varsity chili on hot dogs so I don't buy a great deal of it. Atlanta folks were weened at the Varsity so we tend to go a little crazy over their food
I've been trying to drag Mike there for 10 years, Maybe one day,

BTW It werked, the dishes jumped out of the dishwasher and into the cabinets I love it when a plan comes together
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

I've eaten @ Varsity on more than several occasions. Good stuff.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:42 PM

Chris, I always make my own chili [with beans] so I don't have anything to compare it to. I only use the expensive Varsity chili on hot dogs so I don't buy a great deal of it. Atlanta folks were weened at the Varsity so we tend to go a little crazy over their food
I've been trying to drag Mike there for 10 years, Maybe one day,
James - As good a cook as you are I figured you made your own if you were eating it as a standalone meal. I read up on the "Varsity" when I was checking out the chili, sounds like a classic local landmark. Reminds me of the the Crown Candy Kitchen (giant BLT's I've posted about), and Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard that Mike and I have talked about before. I love places like that, you sure wouldn't have to twist my arm!
Old July 22nd, 2021, 01:57 PM

Hi guys,
My wife just finished her latest masterpiece. She wouldn't let me near her shop while she was working on it because she wanted to surprise me. Man, I was blown away! Not for everyone, but I love patriotic themes and I absolutely love it, especially because she did it all by freehand, no stenciling or pattern to go by. I want to find some place to keep it. It's a very old Lane cedar chest with the folding tray for jewelry, watches, etc. in the lid.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 22nd, 2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 02:29 PM

Kenneth....Ketchup on brats!!! WTH!.
Hey, don't drag me into a ketchup debate. I was the one who pointed out the lack of beer with the brats.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:01 PM

Chris,

Love your bride's work

I like Frito pie chili

Basically Fritos on the bottom, then home made chili with beans then topped off with cheese [and onion if you want] Yep it "stands alone"

Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:08 PM

Chris,

Love your bride's work

I like Frito pie chili

Basically Fritos on the bottom, then home made chili with beans then topped off with cheese [and onion if you want] Yep it "stands alone"
James - Thanks for the compliment on her work, I already let her know. She loves Fritos with her chili to, me not so much, I'm not a big Fritos guy. I like peanut butter sandwiches with mine, just something about the taste of peanut butter and chi,I the goes together for me.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:42 PM

I like my chili with jalapeno cornbread. I make both the chili and the cornbread, and I also grow the jalapenos - no store bought for me.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 03:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Pretty evening out. Pretty hot.

Jamesbo I've been to the Varsity a couple times. But I've never had a signature item, like a peach pie or an FO. Although I did eat in the Lunching Pad one of those times. After we meet at Chris's for his brakes we can all meet at the Varsity. Not on the same day.

Don't think I've ever eaten chili out of a can. Nor would I. My Mom makes her own chili and I bring it home with me from Florida. She says it's very easy and I could make it myself. I'm not about to. I like grape jelly on Ritz crackers with my chili.

Chris the cedar chest is very nice. Did she make it for you or are you claiming it? What are you going to put in it? Car parts.

Work was okay today, a little slow, got out a little before 2. I'll go in early tomorrow as well. Hopefully we aren't there all day. I'm not going in Saturday.

Well I'm gonna hit the sack. I've already eaten, watched Starsky and Hutch, and the dog has been out. And I'm beat. Hope everyone has a good evening. One more to go.

Old July 22nd, 2021, 04:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
I like grape jelly on Ritz crackers with my chili.

Old July 22nd, 2021, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Don't think I've ever eaten chili out of a can. Nor would I. My Mom makes her own chili and I bring it home with me from Florida. She says it's very easy and I could make it myself. I'm not about to. I like grape jelly on Ritz crackers with my chili.

Chris the cedar chest is very nice. Did she make it for you or are you claiming it? What are you going to put in it? Car parts.
Mike - Just to clarify, when we have Chili as a main meal my wife or I always make it from scratch, much better. We only use the cans when it's going on hot dogs or in some other kind of recipe like nachos..

No she didn't make the chest for me, but I wanted it. I offered her $200 for it and she turned me down, now isn't that a fine state of affairs! She wants to see what she can get on the open market and is initially going to ask $300 for it. I don't think she'll get that out of it. I was going to use it to put my hunting clothing and gear in, Cedar Chests are good for that because the cedar smell masks human scent.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 10:20 PM

Hey, don't drag me into a ketchup debate. I was the one who pointed out the lack of beer with the brats.
****, I had a brain fart. It was supposed to be Chris that I was picking on!
​​​​​​​
Old July 23rd, 2021, 12:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day at work. I went in early, we spun 130 wheels, and I left around 11. Went to the Awful house. Stayed about an hour, hoping Billy or Bob would show up but neither did, so I left. About an hour and a half later, I called another guy and he said he was headed to the Awful house. So I went back up there to see him.

Hot out. Let me see if I get this right. Looks like there come up a cloud. I want to finish the mowing but I don't know if it's going to rain. The weather report is inconclusive.

I'm off until Tuesday. Had two separate plans and neither worked out, but I'm not in the habit of giving back time off, so I've got plenty to keep me busy. I had thought about going in tomorrow, knowing I'll be done around 10, but hell I don't want to get up at 2 on a Saturday. I think I've got too many OT hours anyway. After I think 20 I get taxed at an enormous rate and I actually make less. Can't have that. I could work for POAD, but that's a ripoff. Only paid straight. Awful house sounds like the better deal.

Okay off to attempt mowing. Happy Friday everyone.

Old July 23rd, 2021, 01:48 PM

Good afternoon guys,
I think I'm gonna go to a cruise-in this evening, even though it's hotter than hell, 91 with RealFeel of 105. I'm going mainly because it's the only event within reasonable driving distance this weekend. It's the one I went to 2-weeks ago and posted that it was kind of lame, but it was their 1st one, and I'm hoping the word has got out more and will be better attended tonight. It's a nice drive for me and a good location at an Elks Lodge with a ton of parking, and they sell food and beverages for reasonable prices.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old July 23rd, 2021, 05:08 PM

Old July 23rd, 2021, 05:30 PM
Running On Empty

James - Looks like a gaggle of happy, healthy hungry campers. Nice picture!
Old July 23rd, 2021, 07:55 PM

James - Good looking clan there pardner! Really nice pic!

I did go to the cruise-in this evening and it was better attended than the last one! I took pictures early and didn't get around to take more, as more cars continued to trickle in during the 2&1/2-hours I was there. It was warm, but I found some shade and there was a little breeze blowing so it was bearable. Warmest part was the ride there with no A/C leaving the house at 4:30, pretty damn toasty! There was only one other 0ld's there, I believe it's a '63 98 Vert. Here's the pics:

Going on about a 3-hour ride with a couple of neighbors at 0700 tomorrow before it gets too warm, supposed to be blistering tomorrow afternoon. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Old July 23rd, 2021, 08:02 PM

I love cruise ins !! it's just great knowing that these vehicles LIVE ON !!!!
thanks for the pics.
Old July 23rd, 2021, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by solly
I love cruise ins !! it's just great knowing that these vehicles LIVE ON !!!! thanks for the pics.
Solly - You're very welcome. I really enjoy seeing all the cars, and chatting with the other owners and spectators, a really good time!
Old July 23rd, 2021, 10:22 PM

Nice pics Chris. I was planning on going to a car show next weekend, one that I have gone to for about a dozen years. it was always on the last Saturday in July, well, suprise they moved it, and it was held in June. No notification from them (I usually get an email for the show as a reminder). I have a co worker who lives up there (Hart, MI.) and he had no idea that it moved. So, my next event will be the Red Barns Spectacular at the Gilmore. Chris, ya need to visit your sister so you can check it out. I may go to a cruise this coming Friday, the 30th, and take pics of cars there. They usually have a couple hundred there. Jamesbo, is that the cast of Sparticus? A good looking crew.

Last edited by 1969w3155; July 23rd, 2021 at 10:25 PM.
Old July 24th, 2021, 03:53 AM

Only part of the cast of Spartacus. 2 army ranger Iraq/ Afghanistan war vets, with kids ( I came back fully loaded and had triplets) the old farts are in the shade on the screen porch at the house
Old July 24th, 2021, 05:18 AM

James, what a great picture! Looks like a great time!
Chris, that Gremlin looks like the one my sister had back in 1980 or so, what a great basic car it was. She had this plastic/stuffed monkey that she used to hang from the rear view mirror. It had nostrils that the fingers would stick in and stay. Guess what we always did to her monkey when she left the car alone!! Oh memories, and what brings them back.. hadn't thought about that in years... Also Chris, I was watching the news and they were saying one of the big shortages now are new furniture. People are being told they will have 6 mos to a year to get a new piece of furniture. So that may help your wife's profitable hobby, Why wait when you can by like new used?
Dan, I haven't been to Hickory Corners in a long time, course now we live in Harrison it's a long drive. Hope you have a good time there.
Old July 24th, 2021, 06:32 AM

Family coming to visit! Cleaning like a S O B!
Old July 24th, 2021, 08:30 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

And it's been a long morning. Got up early and took Tiger to the vet. He's had trouble with his ears for awhile and they needed to be looked at. The place opens at 8, we got there after 7 and the lot was packed. So I called and got my space in line, almost two hours later it was our turn. Got a bunch of medicine for him, one of which is an ear wash so I can flush his ears out twice a day. It didn't work too well in the office so it should be real fun at home with just me. Well, we'll do our best.

Nice pictures Chris. I see your car snuck in there as well. My favorite this time around is the black gangster looking convertible.

Jamesbo that's a good looking bunch. How many more to sink that dock? Koda have a good time with your company.

Okay this afternoon I'm going over to clean up a little at the shop. Later I'm taking the big truck over to a friend of mine's and we're going to pull tree stumps.

Have a good Saturday everyone. Nice here, clouds and then sun. I'm chanting in the back of my mind no rain no rain.

Old July 24th, 2021, 10:12 AM

Mike, The dock has 4x4 post under each corner so when the lake goes down it won't rip off the walkway from the stationary dock. So I guess it could hold even more
Old July 24th, 2021, 10:33 AM

Nice pics Chris. . . . So, my next event will be the Red Barns Spectacular at the Gilmore. Chris, ya need to visit your sister so you can check it out.
Dan - You're welcome for the pics! When is this "Red Barns Spectacular"? I really want to get up there sometime this summer to see my sister and some other relatives. It would be fun for there to be a big car event to go to while I'm up there. I'll let you know if I start making by plans to come up.
Old July 24th, 2021, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris, that Gremlin looks like the one my sister had back in 1980 or so, what a great basic car it was.
Greg - That's funny your sister had a Gremlin, my younger brother had one. He picked his up about the same time as your sister, around 78 or 79. His was a '73 Gremlin X that had the 5.0L in it and a manual 3-speed. Pretty quick little car, but God awful ugly, his was that horrible light green that I call "hospital green" like they used to have in all the hospitals back in the day. You mentioned Hickory Corners, there's only one I know of, and it's only 15-miles west from where I grew up,

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; July 24th, 2021 at 10:48 AM.
Old July 24th, 2021, 11:00 AM

Good afternoon everyone,
Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I've been busy so far this morning. Went for a motorcycle ride with two neighbors between 0700 and 1000. We rode south to Ste. Genevieve, MO which is a very historic town right on the Mississippi. I won't swear to this, but it may be the oldest town west of the Mississippi. Several historic buildings there to see. It was a nice ride and we got home before it got too warm.

When I got home I got right to mowing and got done around 1200. Whew, the heat and humidity kicked my ****! It's 94 right now with about 65% humidity.

James - I hope you survive the cast of Spartacus without a rebellion!

Mike - Good luck with Tiger and the ear wash! Been there, done that, ain't no fun for the dog or the owner, and I would imagine damn near impossible for one person if Tiger puts up a fight anything like mine!

Everyone have a great evening!
Old July 24th, 2021, 11:02 AM

Chris, the Gilmore car museum is in Hickory Corners. The Red Barns Spectacular is Aug. 7th. and is thier biggest show. Something going on there every weekend, with a cruise in on Wednesday's. Last weeks cruise in had 600 cars. There is also a fall musclecar show in Sept. I don't have the date handy. It sits on 90 acres, so, plenty of room. https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/

Last edited by 1969w3155; July 24th, 2021 at 11:06 AM.
Old July 24th, 2021, 11:11 AM

Chris, the Gilmore car museum is in Hickory Corners. The Red Barns Spectacular is Aug. 7th. and is thier biggest show. Something going on there every weekend, with a cruise in on Wednesday's. Last weeks cruise in had 600 cars. There is also a fall musclecar show in Sept. I don't have the date handy. It sits on 90 acres, so, plenty of room. https://gilmorecarmuseum.org/
Dan - For some reason I was thinking the Gilmore Car Museum was in the immediate Kalamazoo area. Obviously I've never been there, even growing up as close to it as I did. I need to go, I know I'd love it. Thanks for the response and link!