The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Still cold. Still whinging. Welcome LondonCutlass. One thing we like to do here is discuss weather.

Got the stove cranked up and it's just now hitting 70 in here. I usually only get to run the stove a couple nights a week but I'm surprised at the amount of firewood I've gone through so far this season. I got plenty.

Thinking about going to look at a 00 Lincoln Continental. I had an 01 a few years ago and absolutely loved it. The only concern I have with these cars is the rear air suspension. Though, at 1700 bucks if I got a few months out of it I'd have my money back. It wouldn't do much for utility, but man what a lovely car to drive.

Allan I thought your replaced the subframe in the Saturn a couple years ago?
Old February 19th, 2015, 05:14 PM

Gotta go, Dr. Strangelove is on!
Old February 19th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Captain Starfire

Man, now THAT'S a movie! ;-)

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Welcome, LondonCutlass. You'll now need to check in every day and give us the official weather report from foggy London Town. Makes me want to hear that Paul album, BTW... what a classic. I remember everything I was doing in '78 when it was released. Too bad he now sounds like he's been gargling with razor blades (as evidenced by my favorite Beatle's SNL Anniversary appearance on Sunday).

Mike, that car sounds like you...

Y'all have a great nite, folks.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 19th, 2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old February 20th, 2015, 12:40 AM

Sorry to disappoint you with regards to London but I haven't see fog in London for about 25 years. Something to do with the low emission zone I think, but at least that doesn't cover classic cars. The weather report from London this morning is bright and sunny with the occasional shower at around 52 degrees F. Time to get my Ford out and put the roof down and have a morning blast around the country lanes.
Dr Strangelove? I must be too young for that!!
Old February 20th, 2015, 04:23 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Welcome to TNGMT London. You have a topless Ferd and you haven't posted any pictures? Sounds like a great day for a visit out to the moors. Better than us. We're gonna start getting our 8-16 inches this evening. Looks like its gonna hold off so I can go pick up those tires and wheels. that'll make that little truck werk.

Mike. I'd be more than happy to go inspect something that strikes your fancy. Just let me know.

Dan, I get those off and on, but usually they are spam of some sort and end up in my trash folder.

Allan, It's a good idea to put it on to keep the road spray and such off. but if you are gonna bail on it, then I wouldn't worry. There are some that have a full air tube and snorkel on them to keep them cool. Those you should put back on to reduce the risk of fire. Chest pains No Bueno. Take care of that ticker.

Have a Friday all.
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All,

Friggin cold..-28, windchill -40...I going to Fort Myers

Clint, found a pin hole in the housing, cylinders are good. I will just keep filling it up till warmer weather comes.

London , Piccadilly was the busiest place I had ever been. I remember I sat in the circle and watched the pigeons and all the black taxis

Mike, sounds like a good car. Besides, if it breakes down you can use it as a couch.Those, and the 80's Cutli I could snooze in all day

Allan, would you replace it?.

Dan, I have heard this weather is sticking around till March also. How much snow do you guys have?. We only have about a foot.

Have a Day All
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

It remained a balmy 20 last night. I don't know what it's going to do today but the sun is coming out so it can't all be bad. London is that what the London fog is, pollution?

Thanks Clint. I was perusing the Denver craigslist but the only cars that looked interesting were cars that I can get here, or cars that I wouldn't go that far to get. I must be getting picky in my old age.

I think I'm going to call on that car today. I'm not a Ford person but man did they get that car right. I mourned when I had to get rid of mine. For a big heavy car they are surprisingly nimble and I could get 30mpg out of it on the highway.

Okay Awful house and some errands this morning. I'm going to go get back tires for the black pickup. I got front ones last year but could only afford two at the time. It was a grand for a set. Sheesh. Well, this will last me awhile they are Michelin LTX's.

Have a good Friday everyone.
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
https://video.search.yahoo.com/video...&hsimp=yhs-001
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin Rocketeers

Wow, it got up to an astonishing 48 yesterday in the hood. Different story today. Everything's frozen and crackling.

Ted, not missing that weather a bit. We had it earlier and it's no fun. Replace? You talking about the Saturn? No, prolly sell the Sonata to my son and then check out a new ride, but not a brand new one. Likely something a few years old. Not sure what though.

Mike, no I said the sub frame was getting rusty on one side. Still is and I think it's getting worse. You know how much work it is to replace a subframe? It would cost more than the car is worth. It's an 18 year old grocery getter, and not special in any way. Costs more to insure and license each year than it's worth. The missus is coming on board with saying bye to it also, so it's days are numbered. Not an easy car to work on either btw, and oil changes? Stupid place to mount that filter especially horizontally. What were they thinking when they designed the engine compartment? I'll leave it at that cause I know you really love yours.

Clint, is there an easy way to install that cover? Didn't seem to want to go back yesterday. Problem is that small plastic snap lock at the top didn't want to engage. There's also a bolt that holds the cover still sitting on the workbench. The side splash shields seem to seal up the side of the wheel well pretty tight. Not an easy car to work on. That top alt bolt was the worst pita to get started and seated. Seems it's overly long. I'm not taking that thing off to put the cover on, but any tips you have to quick install it are appreciated.

Dan, isn't that a Chinese symbol for a quarter? Never had that happen to us, knock on wood.

Jim, wear are ya? Saw de mountains other day on a new show called Appalachian Outlaws. One uv de players was in Johns retreat area. Looks like it's a rough place to take chances?

Enjoy your day.
Old February 20th, 2015, 08:27 AM

Dan, isn't that a Chinese symbol for a quarter?
The email was from the U.S. Mint, advertising their quarter mint set, so it wasn't a random/spam email.
How much snow do you guys have?.
A couple of feet, can't find snow depths listed anywhere around here.
Old February 20th, 2015, 09:23 AM

20 degrees warmer in Anchorage AK today than here.

No, wait, FORTY THREE degrees warmer in AK.

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img538/1460/9rfePD.jpg

Old February 20th, 2015, 02:25 PM

A nice sunny winters day in good old 'foggy'London. Feeling alive in my 55!!
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

A nasty not so nice winters day in Edmonton....not seein my 72 out in that crap!

New chinesium alternator for the Saturn. Not Delco Remy. The black plastic diode cap already fell off and I had to hot glue it back in place. The old one had Delco Remy cast into the housing, and Reman on the part # ID.

Clint - I found a Richpin vid that shows how to move the PS pump out of there. It will give the access needed to put the cover on.
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:44 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hey everyone. Just finished up a long week of work. Spent most of it in NYC, certainly was fun trying to walk the streets and find parking in a place filled with snow, making it even more of a challenge. Not to mention the fact that Mayor Jackass has been busy putting up speed cameras all over the city. The speed limit was lowered to 25 in November and if you're cruising at 35, you'll get a ticket.

We've had the coldest February that I could remember, today was another sub 20 degree day. Getting more snow tomorrow and we haven't seen the ground now in 6 weeks.

Been enjoying the new ride, its very comfy to cruise around in and good on gas too.

Mike - That's a nice looking Ford, my Dad had two of them. They were good cars.
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Love the Ford LC. I used to ride around in a convertible with the top down in winter. Top down, heat blasting. Can't beat it.

Allan was that picture taken from your observation deck upstairs? You must be thrilled that your wife is on board to sell the Saturn. How you feeling today?

Well the Lincoln is sold. So back to the drawing board. Got my tires for the black truck today. That's as good a daily driver as any, if not a little expensive.

Okay see you all later. Starsky and Hutch is back on. Hey now there's a car I could drive.
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yup, it was indeed Mike. It's not so much that I'm thrilled she's on board. It's a matter of practicality. We simply don't use the Saturn. Last year it went all of 1253 miles (just over 2000 km). The Sonata went just 6000 km (or 3750 miles). She wants to keep the Saturn for the summer and that's it. My son doesn't like the Saturn and more importantly he just doesn't fit into the drivers seat.

Feeling better today, thanks for asking. I don't know what caused the pain and I'm honestly not really thrilled to find out.

Sorry to hear the Lincoln didn't pan out. A friend of mine at work has a 2001 Lincoln LS and I was bugging him for a few months back in 2010 to sell it to me. He wanted outrageous coin though. It was an impressive car and I was quite taken with it's looks and comfort. I'd consider one again if a nice one with lower mileage showed up.

That S&H car? Visibility on the sides and rear sucks. I know cause I tried one out back in the day. Very soft riding car and the seats were too sloped on the ends. I think you need a body like Fred Gwynne to be able to see properly out of that thing. Crank up the heat and put a few more logs on the fire. Stay warm and cozy cuddling with your boy.
Old February 21st, 2015, 04:54 AM

Mawn'in all

1st day above freez'in in 4

Welcome abord Chris. You can move to Alaska but I'm gonna stay put

Been busy as a one arm paper hanger at de cemetery. May have a double hitter on Monday

Enjoy de Weekend Olds friends
Old February 21st, 2015, 05:19 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Sixty today then rain tonight. Sheesh. Well, I can guarantee you I'm doing something outside today.

But first, Awful house. Have a good day everyone.
Old February 21st, 2015, 05:38 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All,

Cold and snow

I was up till 2am picking up my son from a party. Ended up being taxi to a couple more. I am cherishing it tho, as in a couple of months he is driving.

Well, New Orleans here I come my wife really wants to go back, and my son and I have never been. So we are heading to Fort Myers then up to New Orleans for 3 days

Allan, glad you feel better.

Mike, I am running low on firewood. If I am, I am sure most of my customers are also!
Gonna try one of those smoothie things today maybe I will toss in some spiced sausage in the blender with all that fruit

Have a day All
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin y'all.

Clear n cold but at least it's one day closer to spring. Can't wait for the melt to start, seems like this winter has gone on forever.

Mike, wutchu up to outside? Chopping up dat tree down by the sea wall fer farwood?

London, the Ford looks to be in grat shape. You have a 4 car garage? Did you do the resto on it or did you buy it that condition? You don't get fog?? What do you direct?

Clint, did that guy ever call you or drop by the shop with his Cutlass?

Jim, a double header on Monday? That's definitely gonna put whitey on de back burner. How's Ol Red dog doin? Super model behavin or are you roomin wit Red Dog?

Dan, you're gonna have flooding when all that stuff melts. Stock up on supplies now.

Darrell, sounds like NYC has more probs than jerks ripping off door handles. Do they really enforce that new speed law? Sounds more like a cash grab than anything else.

Time fer a late kuppa koffee. Enjoy your day
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:14 AM

Hi Allan. You're right the Ford is pretty much perfect but unfortunately I'm too busy to be playing around being a mechanic, so I pay silly amounts of money to get my cars looking good. Did the Mark 1 Ford Consul ever come to your side of the world?
Four car garage in London - I wish. I'm moving out to the sticks at some point soon as I'm building a 7000sq foot house with garaging for at least six cars so I am on the lookout later in the year for something cool, not sure what yet but I do like the early Corvettes.
Sorry, I nearly forgot today's weather report. Today was a lovely sunny day but a bit chilly at just under 50.
The weather in the states must be bad as they are even showing reports on the TV on our news programmes.
By the way I'm over to the states in August, not sure where yet but any car events happening?
Keep warm!!
Old February 21st, 2015, 10:47 AM

By the way I'm over to the states in August, not sure where yet but any car events happening?
Depends on what part of the country that you are visiting.
Old February 21st, 2015, 11:40 AM

Luckily I have enough Avios (air miles) for a business class flights to anywhere in the States so I'm leaving my options open to where I go, but I would love to go to a classic car show there, so anywhere from NYC to California but ideally I would love to so somewhere south.
Old February 21st, 2015, 12:36 PM

Further to my last post, a friend has just invited me to stay in Sacramento in late August. Anything happening within 500 miles.
Old February 21st, 2015, 12:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Start with this: Hemmings Classic Car Show Schedule
Old February 21st, 2015, 12:54 PM
Captain Starfire

Damp & dank in da' swamp

I'll take it, though, since we're in the 60s. Spoke to Gene in N. MI and he reports that this week, Antrim County recorded a temp of -30 w/ no wind chill... I never heard of that kind of temp up there. Ol' Gene wants me to keep an eye out for a late 50s Olds ('57 would be choice #1) that's been pampered with lo miles. I know they're not falling off trees, but he has a knack for finding cars like that, so you never know.

Still rippin' the daylights out of old CDs. Did over a hundred in the last couple days. I bought a used iPod that needed a battery and wound up breaking the touch wheel cable whilst replacing the batt... so now I need a new touch wheel. Uggh! Apple intentionally makes these things difficult to work on, of course. They put goop in the screwheads to make 'em harder to unscrew... seriously. That's so they can charge you $69 to change the battery. I'll die changin' it, myself, although at this point it may be throwing good $$ after bad? But I'm gonna' fix the miserable thing when my $18 touchwheel arrives, then and fill it up w/ all my "new" digital music.

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
Dr Strangelove? I must be too young for that!!
OK, now quit ur braggin'...

Jamesbo, I think you could show the saddest clip in history of Slim Pickens and I'd be laughin'... He should be the subject of an "American Masters" instead of some of the lame-o's they feature on PBS.

p.s.: I hate to say "I'm so glad business is good," but somebody's gotta' bury 'em.

Whelpt, y'all have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 21st, 2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

John - Eye pod?? Iz zat a new vention? I still gots an ol Walkerman ta lissen to but I don't. I like to hear who's sneekin up behind me....
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:20 PM
Captain Starfire

Allan, me no do no ear buds... never. I just plugs it in to my car via the USB.

It's like moving to any new technology (I LOVED cassettes) -- it's nothing I'd ever do on my own, but once I start, 'tain't bad atol.... you can put dern near 100 CDs on a little 8 meg iPod.

I leave it plugged in and the thing remembers where you are. I don't lay eyes on the little thing for weeks; it's just in its little compartment doin' its job. No need fer changin' no CDs no more (although the Camry's JBL sound system was better than this new "no name" one).
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:32 PM

Speaking of old movies...I see that Patton is on tonight, so rather than renting a video, I may watch that instead...either that or Wreck it Ralph
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:32 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The day is a bust. It's barely above 50 and it sprinkles rain off and on. Had a good time at the Awful house this morning, three of us were just hanging out and laughing it up. Then a friend came over to check out the Airstream. We were brainstorming on how to make things bigger on the inside. That's gonna be a tough one.

So, now that the dogs have eaten their supper I think I'll go tinker around in the garage. I need to fix the cover over the "war wagon" and remake a path through the garage.

London there's always something going on in Los Angeles carwise. LA is about 400 miles from Sacramento. You're only gonna be a couple hours from Reno, go visit The National Automobile Museum.

John that's called planned obsolescence. Although it sounds like Ipods are a little more obsolescent than some other things.

So all this car shopping has got me in a tizzy. I keep thinking I should just drive the Cadillac every day and use the blue van if I need a covered truck. But the Cadillac is too big to park anywhere and I don't want to get grease and whatnot in the blue van. So. The vehicle I keep coming back to (besides a big Lincoln) is that Dodge shorty van that the guy thinks has bottom end noise. Question. What does bottom end noise sound like and can something else be mistaken for it and how do you tell.

I need to go get something for my dinner because I don't have any food in the house. Somehow I skipped over lunch. I'm resisting going back to the Awful house because I'm going there in the morning, but the Angus double Cheeseburger and hash browns sure does sound tempting.
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:36 PM
Always room for one more

John I love cassettes as well. Try finding a cassette player anywhere. I go to Best Buy and just get strange looks from people who probably haven't ever seen a cassette.

There aren't even any tape decks for home entertainment. Hm and to think I had an 8 track player when I was a kid.
Old February 21st, 2015, 01:57 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

John, any suggestions/ advice for a tourist in you area?
Old February 21st, 2015, 03:27 PM
Captain Starfire

Originally Posted by sammy
John, any suggestions/ advice for a tourist in you area?
Sure, Sammy... I'm not sure I'm going to be in town when you're down here; but I can recommend some things to do, depending on your likes & stuff. If you've never been here before, I'd recommend an old fashioned tour on a bus. I've done it a couple times myself; they highlight the really historic things, although they're not permitted in the Quarter any more. You'll need to see that on foot if you'll be anywhere near; and whatever you do, my biggest piece of advice is to stay with the group & crowds... Crime isn't getting any better anywhere, The Big Easy included. Especially after dusk. Sad, but true.

Something I really enjoy myself is a riverboat cruise or tour. The ones during the day are tours, and they show you all the interesting points along the Mississippi, and you'll usually eat a lunch on board or something. If the weather's nice, it's glorious.

And I can tell you about the good eating places, of which there's no shortage.

When did you say you'll be coming? You can p.m. me for specifics....
Old February 21st, 2015, 06:56 PM

Evening folks!

I see weather is still a popular topic of discussion.

We were really spoiled in December with temperatures above freezing and most of the snow melting, but we are paying for it now. The last couple of weeks have very cold and with a fair amount of snow. Since early January our weather has either been sunny and cold or warmer and snow, or cold AND snow. A couple of days ago it was near -40 in the morning.

Still keeping busy with stuff, but looking forward to spring when I can get the Oldsmobiles out and hopefully figure out once and for all what is wrong with the Cutlass.

The only new thing here since I was last around is the paint on the hood of the Mustang.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!
Old February 21st, 2015, 09:07 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Just got done shoveling again. So far there is about 4" of heavy stuff out there. Going to be 40 tomorrow, first day over freezing in two weeks. Have to go out and enjoy it because it is only going to be 20 again by Monday.

Mike - sorry to hear the car was gone, looked like a nice one. Yeah I haven't seen cassette decks in a while. Have one in my Intrepid, not that I have any cassettes to stick in there. Are you still buying the Olds minivan?

Allan - yes the cameras in the city are a money grab. If you google speed cameras in NYC, there is one site that shows a camera made 77k in its first day of operation. A definite gotcha.

Tired so I'm off to bed. Have a good night all.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 04:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain letting up, hope the sun comes out. It's over 40 but not a good over 40.

Eh Darrell, easy come easy go. Something else will come along. I guess I'm losing my touch. Usually cars find me.

Paul why did you paint the hood of the Mustang?

Went out to the Saturn and it wouldn't start. It's been sitting a week and the battery doesn't charge very well because the belt slips. It's a pain in the derriere to take the truck to Walmart, so the goal for the day is to get the batteries charged in the Saturn and the Cadillac. If nothing else I'll take the Cadillac over to the shop to ease the congestion on the driveway.

Time for Awful house. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:08 AM

Mawn'in all

Like Mike said, Elise's come and gone {I Hope] Not sure where he got de 60 degrees yesterday, Musta had his wood stove on high

Sammy, Do you have any idea which part of the country yu're gonna be visiting

John, Slim was one of the greatest IMHO. Along with Dr. Strange Love's survival kit "One hundred dollars in rupels" I've always enjoyed de classic Blaz'in Saddles

Enjoy de weekend Olds friends
Old February 22nd, 2015, 06:13 AM

Don't talk to me about speed cameras. I looked it up and last year in London alone they took nearly 9m dollars and they say it's put back into the transport system but the roads are still full of holes. And yes 150 bucks of that was my own cash. First time I have been caught by a camera.
The worst cameras are the average speed ones they put on our main highways which can cover miles of road where you have to obey the limit for what seems like hours.
Glad I got that off my chest.
Today's weather. Dull and gloomy and a bit chilly, but still no sign of any fog!!
Old February 22nd, 2015, 08:40 AM
Captain Starfire

Ditto yesterday's weather

Spose to be more of Elsie on her way -- in fact, seems like she'll be in the f/cast for most o'week.

So all that talk about burial, Jamesbo, and I and better half are attending one this afternoon (Jewish). Unfortunately, it's on the S. Shore, so that's the whole afternoon. Gotta' do whatcha gotta'....

"What in the wide, wide world of sports is a'goin' on?" I was going to post that one up here yesterday, but I didn't want to risk the scorn and lambasting resulting from its gross political incorrectness and the betrayal of 1974 sensibilities.

Originally Posted by LondonCutlass
Today's weather. Dull and gloomy and a bit chilly, but still no sign of any fog!!
London: you're killin' me! Better get a fog machine cranked up over there soon, lest y'all will lose your reputation. Next thing I know, they'll be callin' Scotland Yard The London Police Dept.

Me have paid a few hunnert in speed camera tickets, as well. Suffice it to say that now I have a tidy sum invested in defensive measures on every car parked in da' Plantation Paddock. Dunno whether they work for sure, 'cuz maybe my avoidance of tickets recently (none since '07) is simply the result of my driving like a granny.

Have a fab day of Sol, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 22nd, 2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 09:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Sunny Sunday! A bit chilly @ - 4 F but later will be warming up to 39 so should be quite nice by the time I need to head out for curling. Tonight should be a tough game as the team were playing is one of the top seeded ones.

Mike, slipping serpentine? Easy peasy fix.....replace the idler tensioner. Jack up the right front, take off the wheel, remove both inner splash shields. 15 mm long handle box end release belt tension and take it off the pulley. Don't remove the belt the belt tho. That gives access to the lower 10 mm bolt. Then go up top and get that other 10 mm. You might find the clearance a bit tight. Drop the tensioner out from below, insert new one from below and get lower bolt started first. Rest is just reverse of removal. I know you'll enjoy working on it. Then you won't have to worry about the belt slipping. Course if that doesn't help, you might have to do what I did and change out the alternator. That's even more fun.

London, honestly. Think we get more fog here. Funny to hear that your area doesn't get fog given all the rep London has for its climate.

John, not only do I have cassettes, I have 8-tracks and reel to reel. Even have turntables and Ron of vinyl. I don't like earbuds either and both cars do have CD players but don't get used that much. FYI I can record both cassettes and 8-tracks too. Really old technology tho compared to today.

Jim, Jess hope he's right so de links thaw outta bit.

Darrell, sorry to hear about the heavy wet stuff. Be careful of your back. I'm surprised about the cameras. Does NYPD actually follow up on those or do the fines accumulate and get added to the tag renewal each year?

Well, AB is in the gold medal curling match today vs. MB. I expect MB to win tho and become Team Canada (wimmens side). Men's Brier starts in 6 days down in Calgary.

Enjoy your day.