The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Always room for one more

"The best revenge is living well." I'm not sure I'm on board with that but I've heard it before. Norm if you want to borrow my flame thrower...

I am done and ready for the yard ****'s. I did'nt know what to do with the last car on the trailer. My neighbor's boy came by and said he wanted the rusty Suburban that was under a tent. Said he needed it for parts what did I want for it. I said he could have it and I'd help him load it. I had pulled my trailer up even with the tent* and his trailer had a winch and it took that Burban up like it was nothing. He then helped me put the tent over the trailer with the car and secure it so I didn't have to do anything else with it.

*Since it had rained buckets yesterday the yard was a muddy mess. I attempted to move the trailer with my pickup, and all that did was dig four holes in front of the trailer. So I fired up the Deuce and it pulled the trailer forward like it was nothing. It did no favors for the yard. Fast forward to my friend trying to pull out with a loaded trailer with his diesel GMC 4x4, and all he did was slide sideways. We chained the Deuce to the front of his truck and I pulled him up to the pavement. Like it was nothing. I tell you what, everyone needs a truck like that.

When things dry out I'll go out with the garden rake and smooth out the ruts and throw down some grass seed. I wish the whole place was concrete. Got the piles of sticks smoothed out and that was it. I'm done. Can't wait to hear what they have to say tomorrow.

Norm right now just focus on what a great dryer you have.

Never made it to the store like I wanted to, so I stopped and got McDonalds for my supper. Not terrific. Also got a couple plain cheeseburgers for Tiger and he loved them. So it was a success after all. Think I'll hit the sack early tonight, I'm as sore as can be. I'm not used to working that hard.

Old January 17th, 2022, 03:43 PM

Mike, Only rye grass will grow this time of year
Old January 17th, 2022, 04:22 PM
Always room for one more

I thought if I threw down some regular grass seed it would be there for the spring. There's a yard here and there with rye grass for the winter. It's very bright.

Old January 17th, 2022, 04:34 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Your best bet at the moment is to throw down winter rye now. One of the purposes of which is to set root, protect & support the soil, besides a green up. Any of the Southern (normal) grasses aren't going to seed until late spring and it's likely a waste of money to throw down regular grass seed. Add to this it takes a minimum of 2 weeks - generally 3-4 weeks for any Southern grass to germinate - you're looking at late May to get anything to sprout/germinate. If you elect to put down winter rye, grab some hay to cover the soil & seeds to help retain moisture and modest heat for faster germination/sprouting.

Can you ship a flame thrower?
Old January 17th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Running On Empty

James - No rice...

Old January 17th, 2022, 05:56 PM

The problem I have with putting down rye grass seed is all the dove, quail, and pigeons flock into the yard for a feast. I've tried to train the boy dog to fetch me some quail, but he only understands ball.

Old January 17th, 2022, 06:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - No rice...
BTW - I grabbed the wrong bottle from the frig. I thought I had grabbed Blue Cheese Dressing instead poured Tartar Sauce (yucko) - dementia perhaps?
Old January 17th, 2022, 11:51 PM

BTW - I grabbed the wrong bottle from the frig. I thought I had grabbed Blue Cheese Dressing instead poured Tartar Sauce (yucko) - dementia perhaps?

So If you don't care for it Why is it in your fridge? BTW you are rapidly approaching Crab Louis

You sure fine some nice avocados

FWTW
I was talking to Donny yesterday, He said, The split tractor has 7000 hours on it. Along with short legs riding the clutch. He said, Some of the grounds crew drive a tractor like a dump truck [letting the clutch slip as you get started] Totally unnecessary, choose the gear [speed ] you want let the clutch out and go

Ken beautiful pup
Old January 18th, 2022, 03:13 AM

Ken, I love your heeler! Looks so intent on getting/keeping those *****. I really like those dogs! Warmer here this morning with 23 degrees at 0530. Yesterday I went over and worked in barn on the new to me snowmobile trailer. There was snow on it from sitting outside. Furnace was heating shop up and snow melted off trailer, dripped on floor and refroze into a skating rink. How troublesome to walk around the trailer and be on glare ice! CAREFUL!!!! Guy told me that wheel bearings had just been repacked and were all set, but I decided to check them and good thing I did, Left wheel moved when I jacked up the axle, bearing loose as a goose, no cotter pin on that side. This snowmobile trailer has a torsion axle just like on a small boat trailer so it has bearing buddies where you can put a grease gun on zerk to shoot grease into the bearings. They over greased both sides and blew the seals out on the inside... So went to the auto parts store to get new seals (bearings looked fine). Found the seals were 21.00 each! I bought the whole Trailer bearing set for 13.00 each!! So I will replace the whole sheebang today, new bearings, races, seal, cap and cotter pin included in kit. Weird, probably China stuff... Have to go get a Covid test at noon so I am good to go for surgery on Friday. ( 3 days before) Ugh....
Old January 18th, 2022, 06:00 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
So If you don't care for it Why is it in your fridge? BTW you are rapidly approaching Crab Louis
You sure fine some nice avocadosFWTWI was talking to Donny yesterday, He said, The split tractor has 7000 hours on it. Along with short legs riding the clutch. He said, Some of the grounds crew drive a tractor like a dump truck [letting the clutch slip as you get started] Totally unnecessary, choose the gear [speed ] you want let the clutch out and go
I like tartar sauce with fish that's about it & in particular I really only like tartar sauce with a white fish. 7000 hours - that's getting your money's worth. I understand regarding slipping the clutch and riding the clutch.
Old January 18th, 2022, 07:20 AM

Norm, You and the Super model are the only people I know that eat blue cheese on anything but a salad
Old January 18th, 2022, 07:28 AM
Running On Empty

James - I also enjoy Mayonnaise with French fries. Additionally, not many enjoy Capers, but I like Capers - esp. w/ a good shrimp cocktail.
Old January 18th, 2022, 08:42 AM

James - I also enjoy Mayonnaise with French fries. Additionally, not many enjoy Capers, but I like Capers - esp. w/ a good shrimp cocktail.

How Dutch of you. I do too.

BTW I had forgotten, I like blue cheese [toasted] on a BLT [kind of a salad sandwich] It's REALLY GOOD

I enjoy capers on toast with smoked salmon and crumbled hard boiled egg and of course on a bagel with cream cheese, tomato and nova
Old January 18th, 2022, 09:22 AM
Running On Empty

How Dutch of you. I do too.
BTW I had forgotten, I like blue cheese [toasted] on a BLT [kind of a salad sandwich] It's REALLY GOOD
I enjoy capers on toast with smoked salmon and crumbled hard boiled egg and of course on a bagel with cream cheese, tomato and nova
All are favorites of mine. Blue Cheese on BLT is killer.
Old January 18th, 2022, 09:34 AM

My favorite breakfast sandwich, called by Canadian coworkers as the Super Sandwich, is a BLT on white toast with a fried egg and a slice of cheese and mayo.
Old January 18th, 2022, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
My favorite breakfast sandwich, called by Canadian coworkers as the Super Sandwich, is a BLT on white toast with a fried egg and a slice of cheese and mayo.
My wife semi-regularly makes bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches or ham, egg, and cheese sandwiches on grilled Texas toast, I love them both. She will use a variety of cheeses dependent on what we have in the house. We usually do not have any chunk or crumbled Bleu cheese though, although chunky Bleu cheese is by far my favorite salad dressing.
Old January 18th, 2022, 10:47 AM
Running On Empty

Several times over the years I gave up asking for Roquefort, occasionally I'll muster up the courage to ask in select fine-dining establishments. I've pretty much resolved to simply asking for Blue Cheese to reduce the glaring stares.
Old January 18th, 2022, 10:53 AM

Several times over the years I gave up asking for Roquefort, occasionally I'll muster up the courage to ask in select fine-dining establishments. I've pretty much resolved to simply asking for Blue Cheese to reduce the glaring stares.
I agree 100%, Roquefort is even better than Bleu cheese, but very few restaurants have it, not many grocery stores either.
Old January 18th, 2022, 10:55 AM

I took a couple pieces of my broken mailbox to City Hall this morning, they were closed yesterday because of MLK Day. The guy I talked to said he'd take the info and I should get a call from the Public Works Administrator. Went on to Home Depot and got a new mailbox and post kit. Came home and just as I was finishing up installing the new mailbox, a City truck came up the street and was there to look at the mailbox. I told him I had the busted up pieces in the garbage can if he wanted to see them, and he said no, that's OK, do you have a receipt? I said yes, and he took it and said, we'll try to get you reimbursed. I said thanks and he was off. Guess we'll see?

Here's the new mailbox, just simple with no paint or parts that can rust, just heavy vinyl.

Old January 18th, 2022, 12:35 PM

Norm, During you biking travels have you ever seen this?

https://www.clemson.edu/bluecheese/

Chris, After a yew yahoos took a bat to mine, I order a steel one made my the Amish. It's Bullet proof

FWIW Stilton is the best
Old January 18th, 2022, 12:37 PM
Running On Empty

Oh hell - I've reviewed the Stiltons - SOLID pieces of metal.
Old January 18th, 2022, 12:39 PM
Running On Empty

James - Damn you. Always spending my money for me. I took a very brief look at the site. I'll review later - indoor painting going on.
Old January 18th, 2022, 12:40 PM

Oh hell - I've reviewed the Stiltons - SOLID pieces of metal.

Stilton British Blue cheese
Old January 18th, 2022, 12:57 PM
Running On Empty

Stilton British Blue cheese
Ah. My bad. I thought I recalled that name (Stilton) when reviewing mailboxes several years ago. There is one company who builds unbelievably impressive solid steel mailboxes which are NOT inexpensive but built like a rock.
Old January 18th, 2022, 03:07 PM

My grandmother would ask for that, and no one under 50 knew what she meant.
Old January 18th, 2022, 03:30 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Pretty day. Saw some of it when I went out for lunch. And this afternoon when I came home. Rain tomorrow and more wintery $hit this weekend. Well, it is January.

My Dad loved Roquefort and blue cheese and the rest of us thought it was gross. I always thought they were one and the same. My Dad liked some weird things. He also said all the sugary cereals we ate as kids tasted like cardboard, but he ate Cheerios without any sugar. Talk about dull.

Count me in for mayo on french fries.

Kenneth love the pup.

Well overtime tomorrow so I'm off to bed. Short week, I'll take it. Peace.

Old January 18th, 2022, 03:47 PM

My Uncle [that passed away a few years ago] was a cheese [any kind] nut case. He once ordered a case of assorted individually wrapped Maytag Blue cheese and gave everybody he knew several packages. It was very good and I thoroughly enjoyed my "samples"

Chris, I like the solid better than the crumbled, it seems to last longer before getting "hairy"
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Roquefort (French) is to Blue Cheese as Champagne (French) is to Sparkling Wines - it's the French connection. Roquefort (French) is made from one select breed of sheep (Lacaune). Blue Cheese could probably be made from the toe-jam between my toes, but Roquefort (French), based upon EU Law, can only be labeled Roquefort if it was aged within the natural Combalou (French) caves of Roquefort-sur-Soulzon
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:22 PM

Several years ago, I was in a fancy food store [Whole pay check]] at the cheese section looking thru piles of wrapped cheeses for some Stilton. This 65 lb.4'6' Blue hair who was as mean as a gut shot grizzly, started throwing different cheeses around and demanding "Where is the cave aged Edamire" ? She had already bought he Black Forest Ham and was more than ready for her favorite sandwich.

Being the smart a$$ I am I told her to look in the canned cheese aisle

AND RAN LIKE THE WIND

Old January 18th, 2022, 04:25 PM
Running On Empty

Spelling **** - Edamer
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:26 PM

Chris, I like the solid better than the crumbled, it seems to last longer before getting "hairy"
I agree 100%. With most large chunk cheeses, it the outside gets a little surface mold/hair, you can just trim it off and the rest is fine.
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:28 PM
Running On Empty

It's the moisture thing...moist/soft cheeses always present hair before a hard cheese.
Old January 18th, 2022, 04:36 PM
Running On Empty

There was a gorgeous Chocolate Lab wandering about my back door and roaming the landscape today - very friendly, a full grown male. He responded to "here boy", a "whistle" and the like - coming to me with each call. He had no collar on him - he weren't no mutt. He was gorgeous. He spent enough time for me to talk with him, brush his coat, muzzle, legs and ask him questions - then he left. I was tempted to usher him into the house but with no collar attempting to locate the owner would have been useless.
Old January 18th, 2022, 05:55 PM

There was a gorgeous Chocolate Lab wandering about my back door and roaming the landscape today - very friendly, a full grown male. He responded to "here boy", a "whistle" and the like - coming to me with each call. He had no collar on him - he weren't no mutt. He was gorgeous. He spent enough time for me to talk with him, brush his coat, muzzle, legs and ask him questions - then he left. I was tempted to usher him into the house but with no collar attempting to locate the owner would have been useless.
Sounds like a message from the big guy, maybe visit the local animal control facility tomorrow someone there may need a new Papa... just sayin
Old January 18th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Sounds like a message from the big guy, maybe visit the local animal control facility tomorrow someone there may need a new Papa... just sayin
I would take that Chocolate Lab in a heart's beat.
Old January 18th, 2022, 05:59 PM

:d
Old January 18th, 2022, 06:42 PM

It's the moisture thing...moist/soft cheeses always present hair before a hard cheese.
My only contribution to this topic is that "Hard cheese," is a British idiom roughly equivalent to our "tough cookies" or "tough luck."
Old January 19th, 2022, 03:18 AM

Spelling **** - Edamer
Oooooooooooooops, My bad. Tanks, As you may have noticed spalling isn't my long suit
Old January 19th, 2022, 04:42 AM
Running On Empty

Currently 33°F. There will be a frost delay for ~1hr I'm sure. Temps warming to 51°F around 1:00PM. Tee-time moved to most likely 9:30AM. I'm going to play today, and I made a tee-time for tomorrow @ 10:46AM. The F250 may have an oil leak but the CS convertible runs like a dream.
Old January 19th, 2022, 05:24 AM

Norm, Why not drop the top ?