The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2021, 05:53 AM

Well Chris after looking thru your earlier entry maybe your issue is at a different spot. Maybe not even rust related. You should sell that truck to your wife's furniture business, then the repairs could be wrote off!!
Old October 16th, 2021, 06:15 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got to the Awful house a little early , just caught one of my friends leaving. The others never showed up, So we're back home sort of early. Looks like a beautiful day shaping up.

Illinois just hoses the roads down with salt all winter. The only brake line I had trouble with was in a VW, and that line ran inside through the car. I always had trouble with the flex lines going to the calipers. Chris you probably have a line that's rusted in a clip.

I was afraid I'd still feel wacked from work but today I feel pretty good. Today has to make up for the slacking off all week.

Okay have a good day everyone. It's the weekend woohoo!

Old October 16th, 2021, 06:16 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Norm, I had to chuckle when you mentioned that a 2000 truck doesn't seem old enough for that type of problem. Around here brake lines go out all the time. Most kids knew how to replace rusted lines by the time they were 18. Kids had the older cars and if over 5 years old or so you had better be checking out your brake lines. Especially on 66? and older cars with single master cylinders- one rusted out line anywhere and NO brakes!!
Greg - You have a very valid point. I've spent so many years residing outside the Midwest where I grew up I've forgotten the truly horrific effects of road salt on vehicles. I was just thinking about it, I think each car I owned back then I sold or traded before it was five or six years old. Some of the mental images you've rekindled as I think about this remind me of the "cake" of road salt ice hanging from every conceivable area of the vehicle. If you had to work on anything in the winter you literally had to spray wash anything/everything to get to the parts. Ugh...
Old October 16th, 2021, 06:22 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mike:

I hope this did not happen at the Awful House you frequent. Better not complain about your food.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/waffle-ho...lanta-customer
Old October 16th, 2021, 06:23 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Holy Garbanzo Beans - you've already been to/from Awful House?
I slept in this morning. I need to apply two coats of stain to one side of one & 1/2 sections on the the exterior-facing side of The Wall & it's complete. Gorgeous weather. I believe I'll make the Persimmon Pudding today. I'll see how the day progresses.
Old October 16th, 2021, 06:29 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Mike: I hope this did not happen at the Awful House you frequent. Better not complain about your food.
Messed up..
Old October 16th, 2021, 08:18 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

When I read that article and especially when I saw it was in Atlanta I immediately thought of Mike.
Old October 16th, 2021, 09:39 AM

Good ol' Michigan salted roads. When I used to go to the Detroit auto show in January (N.A.I.A.S.), I would take two gallons of windshield washer with me, as I would use that much cleaning my windshield, in order to see through the crust of salt, that would build up on the glass, while traveling the Lodge freeway down there. What a mess.
Old October 16th, 2021, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Mike:

I hope this did not happen at the Awful House you frequent. Better not complain about your food.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/waffle-ho...lanta-customer
I don't think Mike goes to that part of town. Said it was downtown, and the fact that there were "no witnesses" means that it is probably a "don't snitch" thing.
Old October 16th, 2021, 10:31 AM
Always room for one more

Nope I'm a far south sider. Once in a while a stupid person will try to rob the one I go to, but they always get caught trying to run away. This one will be easy to solve. There are cameras all over the Awful house and the feed goes to the office and the central office. My guess is the whole story was made up after the server or chef wouldn't remake the guy's food after the umpteenth time.

So the power went off for over two hours this morning. I thought, can't do laundry, can't work in the room I wanted to because it doesn't have any windows. My smoke detectors are hard wired so when the power goes off they chirp. Tiger is afraid of that so he jumped up on the couch and he sat close to me for a long time. That was fine with me. Finally he had enough and got down on the floor. I started working in the bedroom, which has sliding glass doors so there was plenty of light. I don't know why the power was out, wasn't a storm it's nice out. Probably some furry woodland creature chewing on something and blew himself up.

Dan I don't miss those days. And the muck hanging off the bottom of the car. And the arctic cold for 4 months. And not having sunlight for weeks straight. Oh I'll stop I'm starting to twitch.

I didn't get too many boxes out of the bedroom today, but I'll take them over and then look for a quick project or two to do at the house. Won't be mowing.

Old October 16th, 2021, 02:02 PM
Running On Empty

I stained one full section - 1/2 section remains for tomorrow. I've learned retirement means "...another day..."

Persimmon pudding into the oven...

Old October 16th, 2021, 02:23 PM
Running On Empty

Pesto, tomatoes, fresh Asiago and a couple shrimp leftover from the other day...

Old October 16th, 2021, 03:13 PM

How's the pudding? Nice salad.
Old October 16th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
How's the pudding? Nice salad.
Tasty. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Old October 16th, 2021, 03:39 PM

Word.
Old October 16th, 2021, 06:15 PM

Well Chris after looking thru your earlier entry maybe your issue is at a different spot. Maybe not even rust related. You should sell that truck to your wife's furniture business, then the repairs could be wrote off!!
Greg - What furniture business? She doesn't have a have a furniture business, it's just a hobby! Shhhhhh, Uncle Sam can have a long reach, you know, the Internal Rectal Service.
Old October 16th, 2021, 06:31 PM

Great car show today! It was in the small town of Mascoutah, Illinois. They blocked off most of Main St. for the show. They also had a Fall Festival going on adjacent to the show with craft vendors and lots of good food vendors, and of course, cold beverages.

Here's the pics. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th pics are of a '51 Olds 98, true survivor, garage find, with only 21K-miles on it. The owner told me all, they had to do was clean and polish it, clean the carb, drain the tank, throw a new battery in it, and a new set of tires. It's a beautiful car.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 17th, 2021 at 04:03 AM.
Old October 16th, 2021, 06:34 PM

Car Show pics, group 2.

Old October 17th, 2021, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Greg - What furniture business? She doesn't have a have a furniture business, it's just a hobby! Shhhhhh, Uncle Sam can have a long reach, you know, the Internal Rectal Service.
Good point. I had a small Used Car dealership/ auto repair shop in the early nineties at my house/ pole barn out in the country. To have a dealership you needed to also be a repair facility, or if not be on contract with one. In Michigan a new business can lose $ for up to 3 years, My business lost for 3 years then I went out of business. I really did try to make it work, but got a better job, etc. Anyway it was just a joke, you couldn't write off much in that type business. You could write off a lot of tools etc for a dealership/ auto repair shop.
Hey, I'll ask my Olds Buddies! Any of you guys get leg cramps at night? I had to get up 3 times last night. These are not absolutely agonizing "charlie horses" where you have to jump up, they are more mild tightness in my calves. Sometimes they go into my dreams until I wake up- wierd! Once I walk around they will go away but they as soon as I pull legs back up into bed it may come right back and I have to walk around again! Going to DR. for a check up in 2 weeks, I will ask her about it also.
Old October 17th, 2021, 05:49 AM

Hey, I'll ask my Olds Buddies! Any of you guys get leg cramps at night? I had to get up 3 times last night. These are not absolutely agonizing "charlie horses" where you have to jump up, they are more mild tightness in my calves. Sometimes they go into my dreams until I wake up- wierd! Once I walk around they will go away but they as soon as I pull legs back up into bed it may come right back and I have to walk around again! Going to DR. for a check up in 2 weeks, I will ask her about it also.
Greg - I've had trouble with those before, and I seem to recall Norm posting something about cramping awhile back. They're usually caused by dehydration and/or an electrolyte defienciency, specifically lack of Potasium. Do you drink alot of caffeine during the day, it can dehydrate you if you're not counterbalancing it with straight water. My recommendations would be to start drinking much more straight water per day, and bananas are a great source of Potasium, try adding one of those everyday to your diet and see how you do.
Old October 17th, 2021, 07:02 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - As Chris said, I was having leg cramp issues while sleeping awhile back. It was diet related. Once I made the adjustment they went away completely. And again as Chris suggested it's an imbalance in Potassium (K+). Coffee actually contains a fair amount of K+, but coffee will also dehydrate you - removing the necessary H2O to move the K+ into cells. So, it's a Catch 22 - you're getting K+ from coffee but the coffee removes H2O necessary to move the K+ into cells. I began eating one banana every day & increasing my H2O intake - they went away. I will say it did occur during the very high heat of the summer when I was walking six miles/day playing golf - I was sweating out a decent amount of water each day, most likely more than I was replacing. One cup of tomato juice has more K+ than one banana. I started eating more fruits also since they are all great sources of K+ .

I recall one year I thought my big toe was going to fall off - the pain was excruciating - just terrible. Yep, I had a case of gout. I looked up my symptoms on-line, and every single research entry listed gout as the number one cause of big toe pain. Again, stupid me, it was diet related - I was eating far too much protein & virtually no fruits & vegetables - the primary cause of gout. I ensure my diet gets plenty of fruits & vegetables. I've never had gout since.
Old October 17th, 2021, 07:09 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - There were some nice cars at that show in Mascoutah. Thanks for sharing. I've been to Mascoutah several times many years ago while on active duty w/ USAF. Supporting IG OSI @ Norton AFB (CA) we flew in/out of Scott many times/yr.
Old October 17th, 2021, 07:18 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Chilly out! Didn't realize until I was out the door, eh, I'll have to dig out a jacket, they are all long put away. Who cares the car has heat.

Stayed quite awhile at the Awful house today. Just a nice time to sit and chat. It was busy in there, more so than usual.

So yesterday I was at the other house. The bathtub downstairs had this little drip. Nothing big, it would be within limits on the airplane. I went to change the shower curtain and thought, hey, I think I'll turn on the water and see what kind of a shower I got. Bad move. Now the drip has turned into a stream. I called a friend of mine and he schooled me on replacing the valve. So I'm going to try that today. Currently the water is shut off at the street.

But first, gotta go to the grocery store, like every Sunday. My Mom makes fun of me. She says, that's when all the single men go to the grocery store Sunday morning. Got news for her. The place is full of all sorts of people. And they all annoy me.

Well have a good day everyone. Oh look, October is now more than half over. Norm.

Old October 17th, 2021, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - There were some nice cars at that show in Mascoutah. Thanks for sharing. I've been to Mascoutah several times many years ago while on active duty w/ USAF. Supporting IG OSI @ Norton AFB (CA) we flew in/out of Scott many times/yr.
Norm - You're welcome for the pics. Yep, there were alot of nice cars there. One of the show workers told me they had 217 cars entered, boy that's alot for a small town show! I took pics fairly early well before registration ended, and before the spectators started rolling in. I didn't want to use that excuse again for not taking pics after Mike busted my *****. I always gravitate to the mid-60's thru early 70's muscle cars, but did take a few pics of others that caught my eye.

I've been to Scott AFB several times, mainly to play golf back when I used to play alot. It was a really nice course for what we had to pay using our DoD credentials. They used to hold an amazing Air Show there every year that I took my kids to a few times. They haven't had it the past 2-years though because of Covid.
Old October 17th, 2021, 08:33 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

My brother swears pickle juice is the remedy. I have had the exact thing. I occasionally have to jump out of bed and put some weight on my foot to get the cramp out. I get the leg cramps a lot. So when I got them while watching TV a couple weeks ago I went to the refrigerator and poured some dill pickle juice in a small glass and I do believe it helped. Worth a try guys.
Old October 17th, 2021, 09:11 AM

My boss swears by pickle juice, too.

Diet, mild exercise, and some stretches all help.

My fat rear needs to start running again.
Old October 17th, 2021, 01:20 PM

Muscle cramps, yes to all of the above. Add magnesium to your diet as well. A glass of orange juice has 3-4 times the potassium of a banana.
Old October 17th, 2021, 02:08 PM

Other foods very high in potasium are: baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomato juice/sauce, raw spinach, beets, beans (black, white, pinto), acorn and butternut squash, and yogurt.
Old October 17th, 2021, 03:08 PM
Always room for one more

Okay I'm confused. Is the pickle juice good for cramps or gout? I've had gout exactly twice and it was torture. The first time I didn't know what it was and didn't do anything, thinking it would go away on its own. Nope. It's supposed to, but high fructose corn syrup is a major aggitator to it and at the time I drank gallons of Coke a day. Who knew. I've always heard cranberry juice for gout. As for cramps, I get them once in a great while when I sleep. They creep into my dreams and suddenly I'm about jumped out of bed. They go away after a few minutes.

Just washed the car. I couldn't tell you when the last time was that I washed a car. I also put new wipers on. I'm taking it to work for the first time since July. The dogmobile needs a wash too but that's for another day.

Chris I think my favorite amongst those pictures is the green Olds. I can't imagine a car staying exactly the same for that many decades, let alone minimal maintenance and it fires up. That's awesome.

Didn't get to the bathtub valve. Took too long at the grocery store. Packed up some stuff and then went to get the wipers. I can get to it this week.

Okay question about paint. About 16 years ago I bought a 5 gallon bucket of rental beige. Used about half of it. It's been sitting in the basement here all that time. I opened it the other day and it had this weird looking skin on it. If I remove the skin and stir it up real good, do you think the paint will still be okay? At the time the bucket was around 45 bucks. I thought that was insane. Now it's probably over 100.

Okay dishes to be done then call my Mom. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old October 17th, 2021, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Okay I'm confused. Is the pickle juice good for cramps or gout? I've had gout exactly twice and it was torture. The first time I didn't know what it was and didn't do anything, thinking it would go away on its own. Nope. It's supposed to, but high fructose corn syrup is a major aggitator to it and at the time I drank gallons of Coke a day. Who knew. I've always heard cranberry juice for gout. As for cramps, I get them once in a great while when I sleep. They creep into my dreams and suddenly I'm about jumped out of bed. They go away after a few minutes.

Just washed the car. I couldn't tell you when the last time was that I washed a car. I also put new wipers on. I'm taking it to work for the first time since July. The dogmobile needs a wash too but that's for another day.

Chris I think my favorite amongst those pictures is the green Olds. I can't imagine a car staying exactly the same for that many decades, let alone minimal maintenance and it fires up. That's awesome.

Didn't get to the bathtub valve. Took too long at the grocery store. Packed up some stuff and then went to get the wipers. I can get to it this week.

Okay question about paint. About 16 years ago I bought a 5 gallon bucket of rental beige. Used about half of it. It's been sitting in the basement here all that time. I opened it the other day and it had this weird looking skin on it. If I remove the skin and stir it up real good, do you think the paint will still be okay? At the time the bucket was around 45 bucks. I thought that was insane. Now it's probably over 100.

Okay dishes to be done then call my Mom. Hope everyone has a good evening.
I'd skim the scum off, then carefully decant the liquid to a new bucket, especially if metal cause there will be rust chunks in there.
Old October 17th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Remove the skin and stir it really good you'll be fine. Wrap that Pentium II CPU in the skin.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; October 17th, 2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old October 17th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Running On Empty

What Mike really should do is much like John suggested, but Mike should buy a couple of one gallon buckets (or however much paint remains in the five gallon bucket), then buy paint filter/screens, insert into each one gallon bucket and screen the old paint. Then, take your hard disk drives you have been keeping somewhere (I don't know where) and toss those hard disk drives into the old five gallon paint bucket. Take the five gallon paint bucket to the woods along with your favorite shotgun or long-rifle.
Old October 17th, 2021, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Mike - That Olds was definitely my favorite. The interior looked just as fresh as the exterior and the engine bay. I wished I had taken more pics of it, especially the interior and more close-ups. I also wished I had asked the guy if he had ever taken the car to the OCA Nationals. The car definitely looked like an OCA National winner to me. The man and his wife looked to me to be 80ish. The wife drove the Olds to the show, the guy drove what I remember being a late 40's model Hudson. Both cars were parked about 4 spaces down from mine. If you look at the street pictures I posted, where the cars are on the left side of the picture, you should be able to see both cars, with the Hudson before the Olds, they're the 1st and 2nd cars in the picture.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 17th, 2021 at 04:07 PM.
Old October 17th, 2021, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike - Remove the skin and stir it really good you'll be fine. Wrap that Pentium II CPU in the skin.
Pentium 2? Holy guacamole. I pitched all my old junk 3 years back, and also pitched all the old family machines this past winter. I am down to 2 towers and one laptop....well ok, I do have a third tower empty and some mobo over there.

No floppies, no parallel IDE, no beige, no phone modems. I still run CD drives and now I build PCs with solid state drives at least.
Old October 18th, 2021, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the replies about the leg cramps guys. Norm I also get Gout. OH MY GOD that is bad!! But I have been on a pill once every day and haven't gotten it since. (300 mg Alopurinol ) Yeah I have been trying to drink a lot of water and not so much Coffee.
Old October 18th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out if not a little chilly. Good day at work. We had mostly big wheels and again the lead seemed perturbed that we didn't finish. A couple people stayed to finish up. I expect more of the same tomorrow.

Greg the second time I had gout the doctor gave me that. He didn't tell me it was a perpetual thing and once the gout was gone I stopped taking it. He said, no you take it every day forever and it keeps the gout from coming back. That just sounded like pharmaceutical pocket lining to me. Haven't taken it since but haven't gotten gout since.

Penultimate Summit cruise in tonight. Not sure what to do before then. I only have a couple hours so I don't want to start anything big. Hang out with Tiger sounds like a good thing to do.

Well have a good afternoon everyone.

Old October 18th, 2021, 04:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Muscle cramps, yes to all of the above. Add magnesium to your diet as well. A glass of orange juice has 3-4 times the potassium of a banana.
Dan, I believe you are not correct.

One cup (248 grams) of orange juice provides 496 mg of potassium.
One banana has 451 mg of potassium.

Neither your statement or the above statement compares oranges to bananas: You can't compare a glass of orange juice to a banana. If anything, you have to compare each by volume or weight - you can't compare a cup of orange juice to a banana. My bet is you'd find more potassium in one cup of bananas than you would in cup of orange juice.

That is far, far less than 3-4 times the potassium of a banana.

SOURE: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_9
Old October 18th, 2021, 04:42 PM
Running On Empty

A 1-cup serving of mashed bananas contains 806 milligrams of potassium.
A 1-cup serving of orange juice contains 496 mg of potassium.

A cup of dates contains 1,168 milligrams of potassium, a cup of raisins contains 1,086 milligrams and a cup of stewed prunes contains 796 milligrams.

SOURCES:
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/fru...anas-4738.html

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-n...onamount=1.000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_juice
Old October 18th, 2021, 04:55 PM

"According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a medium-sized baked potato with skin provides about 170 calories and 950 milligrams of potassium, or 27 percent of the daily value." How do you like them apples, oh sorry, I mean potatoes!
Old October 18th, 2021, 05:46 PM
Always room for one more

What a nice night. Saw the same guys I know that I saw last week, and had a nice chat with them. Not many cars, I'd say 50. I did find one that struck my fancy.

This is a 1967 Belvedere wagon. It belongs to a guy in the local MOPAR club. I've seen this wagon in the past but never up close. Today I looked at the fender tag, and what do I see, this car was built the day I was born. I've been looking for years for a car built on the day I was born. This is the first time I've (knowingly) seen one. I was pretty excited. Now I just have to convince the man to sell it to me.

Not going in early tomorrow. It will probably be close to 10 before I get to bed, and I'm just not feeling it. We are going to work both days this weekend so I'll do that. Hard to pass up double time. I'm off Wednesday so it won't be a super stretch of workdays.

Norm I think you're getting too technical. If one person eats a banana, and one person drinks some orange juice, who is ingesting more potassium at that point in time? We're not talking percentages of the potassium vessel. Of course I wouldn't eat a banana on a bet, so why listen to me.

Okay time to think about hitting the sack. The pressure is off, Monday is over. Have a good night everyone.