The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2021, 04:44 AM
Running On Empty

My club course is closed today for a charity event (Epilepsy). I made arrangements for some tee-times at my old club - the club I quit three times prior to joining my current club. Tee time 11:30am.
Old October 22nd, 2021, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Don't forget you had an ice dam form last winter with water intrusion. When a ice dam forms, melt water from the warm roof backs up behind the ice dam, flows under the shingles, and into the house. Before it gets too cold, you should evaluate the roof underlayment if you can get to it & visualize that area before another ice dam forms in the same area so you're prepared to take action when/if another ice dam forms.
Your suggestion above, and the telescoping poles, both good ideas! Thanks!
Old October 22nd, 2021, 06:05 AM

Good morning guys,
Chilly again here this morning at 43° at 0730. I fired up the gas fireplace yesterday and have it going right now to take the chill off. It actually heats the living room and kitchen areas nicely and keeps the main furnace from cycling on as often. I love the thing!

Last cruise-in of the season is this afternoon/evening only about 15-miles from me. It's at an Elks Club, it's a monrhly one that I've been to a couple of other times this summer. I'm sorry to see the season winding up.

Don't remember if I mentioned this yet or not, but my youngest daughter recruited me to help her coach my oldest grandson's basketball team. I'm looking forward to it and will give me something to occupy some time over the winter. Practices start next week and games in December.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Old October 22nd, 2021, 07:32 AM
Jeff

Chris, the repair bill for the brake lines is a good deal, you didn't get overcharged. I had to replace quite a few of the lines on my '05 Lesabre over the past 4 years, I think I probably spent about $400 total the 3 different occasions it happened. Should've just had them all done at once.
Old October 22nd, 2021, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
Chris, the repair bill for the brake lines is a good deal, you didn't get overcharged. I had to replace quite a few of the lines on my '05 Lesabre over the past 4 years, I think I probably spent about $400 total the 3 different occasions it happened. Should've just had them all done at once.
Jeff - Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback! Like I said, I have no knowledge of what work like that should cost these days. Just glad I have a small local shop that I trust to take it to and not a dealer where it would probably cost twice as much.
Old October 22nd, 2021, 12:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Pitiful. Friday and we get out after 2. All big wheels again today, and a high number. And the lead isn't there. Funny, we run out of tires right at 2. Also, no overtime tomorrow since there's no tires. Add to that the normal slack *** attitude and we were doomed from the start.

It is just beautiful out, and a perfect temperature. I'm going over in a minute to see if I can do anything with the oil slick. I hate to think what it looks like today; we got a little rain last night. I sure hope I don't see that kid there again.

Chris, what difference does it make if the gas fireplace is running or the gas furnace is running? Maybe the fireplace uses less gas. What you need is a wood burning stove. The fuel is free and it will roast you right out of there.

Norm, I will be totally off shore in a couple weeks when I'm moved. I'll be giving up my prestigious address(Lakeshore Drive).

Okay, I can stay out late and sleep in tomorrow. If I'm victorious I'll come back and tell you. If I'm not, you won't hear from me again because I will seek out that kid and kill him and I'll be in jail. Bye everyone.

​​​​​​​
Old October 22nd, 2021, 12:14 PM

Mike I've got 8 big oaks down waiting for you. " if you cut your own firewood ya get warm twice "
Old October 22nd, 2021, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Chris, what difference does it make if the gas fireplace is running or the gas furnace is running? Maybe the fireplace uses less gas. What you need is a wood burning stove. The fuel is free and it will roast you right out of there.
Mike - Closing the bedroom doors and just heating the main living area with the gas fireplace uses significantly less gas than heating the whole house with the main furnace, which is also gas.

My last house had a very large, double door, Carolina wood stove with a blower integrated with my ductwork, and you're right, it would drive you out of the room. However, it wasn't free. I regularly went through 10 rank (5 cords) or more of wood per season, which is a $hit ton, and good fireplace wood is not free unless you own extensive property. I would buy it 120-miles away from St. Louis and haul it home on a 20-ft. dual axle trailer owned by my ex-FIL. I would make that haul at least twice per season. Then there's all the splitting for starter kindling. Then there's hauling the wood from the wood pile into the house, constantly. Then there's the shutting it down and cleaning it out after running it 24/7 for 4 or 5-days. There's nothing easy or free about burning a wood stove as a primary source of heat. It's a major PIA.
Old October 22nd, 2021, 05:43 PM
Always room for one more

Chris you got it all wrong. You scrounge around for branches, use left over construction debris, cardboard, broken furniture, junk mail. It's all free. Cleaning is just part of the game.

So I got the oil slick taken care of. It needs to sit a day or so and then I'll clean it all up. As I suspected, the leak in the barrel did not right itself, and the majority of the contents was on the patio, about a 5 foot square area and about an inch deep. What a mess.

Jamesbo are these the same trees that were down a couple years ago? ( I hope they aren't the ones out front)

Well when I was over there with the tractor I saw my neighbor's wife go past, like I did yesterday, so I figured he'd show up eventually. Yup. He had already told his kid not to come over when I'm not there, and didn't seem too pleased that he was there yesterday, more than once. This is a good guy, he'll take care of it.

Got cleaned up in the kitchen so now time to relax. Might watch a movie. Might watch more Church Lady.

Old October 22nd, 2021, 06:09 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Do you put your wig on when you watch a movie or watch Church Lady?
Old October 22nd, 2021, 06:13 PM

Mike - Do you put your wig on when you watch a movie or watch Church Lady?
YUK YUK! Too Funny!! You're killin' me Norm.
Old October 22nd, 2021, 08:17 PM
Always room for one more

Nope, no more wig. Sometimes I wig out, but that's different.

So the movie tonight, one I haven't seen in decades. Tobor the Great. Travel into deep space is too dangerous for a person, so a scientist invents a robot that can react to emotion via ESP. It's a slow, somewhat lame movie that actually has very little of Tobor in it. I watched this movie as a child when it would come on Family Classics with Frasier Thomas on WGN in Chicago. Probably have seen it half a dozen times. Well, plus one now.

If anyone ever has an hour and 16 minutes you don't know what to do with, look it up on youtube.

It's actually gotten quite chilly out. Be good sleeping weather. We get to sleep in tomorrow then hit the Awful house. Haven't decided what else.

Okay good night everyone.

Old October 22nd, 2021, 08:33 PM

Sittin’ with the wife while she watches her Astros make fun of Boston.

I’m not into MLB but I guess it’s one of those things husbands do for their wives. She used to try to bribe me with beer and hot dogs to go to games with her when she had season tickets, but she finally gave up on that and now watches from home.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 05:34 AM

Mike, I never saw that movie. I really love the 1937 Frankenstein movie. Oh it brings back such great old scary feelings. Two weeks ago I saw it on TV. Then last week I saw "Son of Frankenstein", now this week they are advertising another combination from about those years with Frank, Dracula, and some other monsters! These shows are all played on "Svengoule" , a really strange campy show that plays strange campy old horror flics. Good stuff this time of year!
Old October 23rd, 2021, 06:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

A bit nippy out. Sun is shining. I'm going to attempt changing out a valve in the shower today. I have the weird socket, hope it isn't too bad.

Short time at the Awful house. Everyone was leaving to go do something so we didn't talk too long. That's okay, gives me a little extra time this morning.

Greg I never was a big scary movie fan. I don't think I've seen Frankenstein or Dracula. I suppose I should watch them, they are classics. When I was little there was this fellow on the local channel on the weekends, Son of Svengoule. He looked like a goon and acted weird. I always thought he was just a local thing.

Kenneth I used to go watch the White Sox play in Comisky Park. I wasn't really a ball fan but I loved going to the park. Then it got knocked down. That was the end of my White Sox fandom.

I hope this valve doesn't take to long, so I can do some other maintenance things. Hope everyone has a good Saturday.

Old October 23rd, 2021, 07:05 AM
Running On Empty

I loved watching scary movies as a child. Speaking just to Frankenstein & Dracula, I watched the originals featuring Bela Lugosi & Boris Karloff (William Henry Pratt) numerous times in the late 1950s. One of the most peculiar/strangest scary movies was the second film of Donald Sutherland's acting career - "Castle Of The Living Dead". A really cool movie I thought, takes place in France, scary but only received a rating of 2 (out of 5) during/after its release. Our family watched many movies on WGN (Chicago), most notably was Family Classics & Garfield Goose. Friday nights were spent watching The Wonderful World of Disney and Mutual of Omaha "Wild Kingdom".
Old October 23rd, 2021, 07:57 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I watched Tobor the Great at least once, maybe a couple times as a kid. I recall talking w/ one of my brothers the striking similarity between Tobor & the Robot in Lost In Space. Judy Robinson (Professor Robinson's daughter) assisted in managing my developmental years of puberty. She was hot. My favorite space movie T.V. series was Flash Gordon with Buster Crabbe & Jean Rogers. I watched the crazed 1974 movie Flesh Gordon (a sex comedy spoof of Flash Gordon). Flash Gordon is named Flesh Gordon, Dr. Zarkov is named Dr. Jerkoff, the planet Mongo is named ****, Ming the Merciless is named **** The Perverted. It was sort of funny given it was a spoof.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 08:00 AM

I loved watching scary movies as a child. Speaking just to Frankenstein & Dracula, I watched the originals featuring Bela Lugosi & Boris Karloff (William Henry Pratt) numerous times in the late 1950s. One of the most peculiar/strangest scary movies was the second film of Donald Sutherland's acting career - "Castle Of The Living Dead". A really cool movie I thought, takes place in France, scary but only received a rating of 2 (out of 5) during/after its release. Our family watched many movies on WGN (Chicago), most notably was Family Classics & Garfield Goose. Friday nights were spent watching The Wonderful World of Disney and Mutual of Omaha "Wild Kingdom".
Norm - My brother and I watched every scary movie we could find. I remember "Castle of the Living Dead", it had one of my all time favorite Dracula actors in it, Christopher Lee. I have to say though, my favorite Dracula movie has to be "Bram Stoker's Dracula", very creepy and great special effects. I don't get creeped out easily, but I have to say the original "Exorcist" was the scariest movie I ever saw. That one really got me.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 08:05 AM
Running On Empty

No doubt for me the scariest was The Exorcist, as well. I was totally & completely freaked out even though I had just turned 21 yrs when it was released. The head turning, the face, the vomit - total freak out.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 08:40 AM

" hump? What hump?"

" what a set of knockers "
Old October 23rd, 2021, 09:06 AM

" hump? What hump?"

Old October 23rd, 2021, 11:22 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo you're repeating yourself.

Jamesbo you're repeating yourself.

So I got my valve changed out and it didn't do $hit. Turned the water back on at the street and I could here it running before I got back in the house. Doesn't run as much as it did, but it still would cost me hundreds a month. So the water went back off. There isn't much to that thing, so I'm going to change the other one, maybe they were both contributing. After that I don't know. Call a plumber.

My next plan was to string the garden fence around the back yard. I only had a claw hammer to run the stakes in, and I didn't get anywhere. Strike two I'm out. Got some things to do around here this afternoon.

Old October 23rd, 2021, 11:59 AM

Mike, I've got a metal post driver you are welcome to

Old October 23rd, 2021, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
" hump? What hump?"

There wolf.
There castle.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 01:07 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Jamesbo. A guy is going to loan me his, and then I'm going to go get one. I have a feeling this fence is going to be taken up and put back several times before all is said and done.

While I was searching for diesel vehicles just now I came across a Jeep CJ6, which isn't a diesel. It looks like a civilian version of the M38. A few rattle cans later and there's your M38.

Man I wish I could find something diesel that I like around me. Everything is at least 3 hours away. Sheesh.

Old October 23rd, 2021, 02:31 PM

Mike, well in that case, I also have an iron pole puller you are also welcome to
Old October 23rd, 2021, 02:36 PM
Running On Empty

I haven't done one single thing the entire day. Oh wait, I took a four hour nap from 11am-3pm. I'll count that as having done something. Outside of a wonderful nap, I have done nothing & I have absolutely no remorse for having done nothing the entire day. I've been on-line watching old Marlon Brando interviews, researching some of his history. I remember most of his career and I've seen many of his movies. That took me to The Waterfront, which I saw many decades ago co-starring Chicago born Karl Malden. For some odd reason I navigated over to comedy T.V. and happened upon the Smothers Brothers and that good looking hippie chick (Leigh French) who went by the name of Goldie Kief. I thought she was hot and I affectionately referred to her as Goldie Queef.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 03:28 PM

I haven't done one single thing the entire day. Oh wait, I took a four hour nap from 11am-3pm. I'll count that as having done something. Outside of a wonderful nap, I have done nothing & I have absolutely no remorse for having done nothing the entire day. I've been on-line watching old Marlon Brando interviews, researching some of his history. I remember most of his career and I've seen many of his movies. That took me to The Waterfront, which I saw many decades ago co-starring Chicago born Karl Malden. For some odd reason I navigated over to comedy T.V. and happened upon the Smothers Brothers and that good looking hippie chick (Leigh French) who went by the name of Goldie Kief. I thought she was hot and I affectionately referred to her as Goldie Queef.
Just think, Norm, if you had done something today, you could've been someone; you could've been a contender.

I was going to go to grandma's for about the last time today, pushed it back to tomorrow. Picked up trash, cleaned toilets, went persimmon hunting, got rained on, received a box of records (as in music vinyl), unpacked them, then squished the persimmons. Had enough with some others to get enough for another pudding batch, so that's two pulp amounts in the freezer. Found another tree, too. I have enough records recently to get the two cleaners out and get them ready to be played.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 03:34 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Just think, Norm, if you had done something today, you could've been someone; you could've been a contender.

I was going to go to grandma's for about the last time today, pushed it back to tomorrow. Picked up trash, cleaned toilets, went persimmon hunting, got rained on, received a box of records (as in music vinyl), unpacked them, then squished the persimmons. Had enough with some others to get enough for another pudding batch, so that's two pulp amounts in the freezer. Found another tree, too. I have enough records recently to get the two cleaners out and get them ready to be played.
John - I’m exhausted listening to what you’ve done. Time for another nap. 😂
Old October 23rd, 2021, 06:54 PM

Vinyl albums, eh? I dunno whether to call you old or hip. Maybe both?

I remember going to garage sales in the 90s and buying albums for $1 each since folks were moving to CDs and ditching the old stuff. I got a lot of vinyl music back then and converted most of it to digital.

Last edited by Fun71; October 23rd, 2021 at 06:58 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 08:38 PM

Norm/John - I may be just being nostalgic, but the sound of vinyl records in good shape when played on a high fidelity system always seemed much more vibrant and crisp than the same recording on a CD. Am I just imagining this? For some reason, CD's sound what I would describe as too clean and watered down?

Except for going to my grandson's (3rd grade coed) soccer game this morning at 0800, I did absolutely nothing today either except watching college football. I was really glad I made it to his game though because it was his next to last one, and I had only made it to one other one. His team was tied after regulation, and the match was then going to be decided by a free kick shoot-out. I believe in the spirit of gender equality, my grandson's coach picked one of the little girls to make the 1st free kick for his team, she barely got the ball to the goal and the goalie easily stopped it. Luckily, the other team missed also. The other team kicked first in the 2nd round and missed again. Then my grandson got to kick and he drilled one into the left hand corner of the goal, the goalie didn't even get close to it. Pretty cool!

I did not go to the last cruise-in of the season on Friday night like I had planned. The weather was gorgeous, sunny and 65°, but my wife was not feeling well so I stayed home in case she needed something, and to attend to our dogs so she could just rest. There's one final judged show next Saturday that I'm going to try to make if it's nice. Norm, it's in New Baden, IL, another small town just a few miles NE of Mascoutah. You've probably been there too!

My new battery for my Indian came today. Tomorrow morning I'll take it out to the garage and activate it and get it on a charger. I'd like to get out for 2 or 3 more rides, the fall colors should be at their peak here over the next 2-weeks.

Hope everyone had a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 24th, 2021 at 05:37 AM.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 08:57 PM

Picked up a 100lb pumpkin on friday for halloween, I will carve it on Sunday. Watched the original Dracula late Friday, on the tube. I also grew up watching the horror classics. I have Dracula and Frankenstien on dvd, need to get the Wolfman, the Mummy, and the Creature from the Black Lagoon as well. Drove 50 miles to the Fennville area to empty the urns on my grandparents, and aunt & uncle's gravesites. My brother came with me, and we cleaned the grave makers with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water. Cleaned up fairly well. We stopped at a farm market down there, and grabbed some Honey crisp apples and a loaf of blueberry/banana bread (yum). Currently have a Police helicopter buzzing around the area, something going on in the neighboring community, and they are looking for someone. It was on the news, with several police deptartments involved, the news reporter had nothing on it as what happened or what went on.
Old October 23rd, 2021, 09:18 PM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm, You've probably been there too!
Old October 23rd, 2021, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm/John - I may just being nostalgic, but the sound of vinyl records in good shape when played on a high fidelity system always seemed much more vibrant and crisp than the same recording on a CD. Am I just imagining this? For some reason, CD's sound what I would describe as too clean and watered down?
This is The Great Debate of audiophiles. There's a lot of things that can affect that. You can have the quality of the gear in the stereo, the condition of the record itself (the one you are holding), the quality of that pressing of the album (so that run of records), and the quality of the mastering and mix. On the CD side, you also have the gear and the mastering, but there's also the digital conversion.

Additionally, there's various levels of compression, which, unlike our V8s' compression, is the amount of reducing the volume difference between high volume and low volume in a song. There has been ever-increasing amounts of compression, referred to as the Loudness Wars, recently, because the modern thought is "Louder is Better" and that is done because people do not listen to music anymore by itself; they're driving, or reading, or running or something, and so it needs to be loud, all the time, to be heard over the world, thus, the compression to make all the volume levels in the song closer so you can crank it up and keep it up.

The CD format, and the CD player, is perfectly capable of replicating the vinyl sound, and keeping it good sounding while the LP has a finite life. However, they often don't bother. It has been said that a vinyl record in good shape over a CD of the same album will tend to give more dynamic range (less compressed) and the instruments sound more realistic, more localized (you think you can physically locate the sound better in the room, or where it sounds like it's coming from), and you can hear more things on the quieter end that weren't noticeable on the digital album, including something referred to as the space between the notes. A microphone, recording a singer, will not only get the singer, but also the sound booth where the singer is. That ambience is often subliminal, but sometimes it's almost the difference between someone talking to you in person, and you can hear when they are not speaking, versus over a phone, even with good speakers, where it cuts off when the person is not speaking and you hear nothing.

I think, also, human kind's ears like a little harmonic and distortion. Too clean of a sound makes it sound unnatural, and a cleaned up digital copy sometimes loses that.

Lastly, a vinyl record is old tech, where you apply a needle to a groove. The album is large; the cover art and liner notes are often works of art. Putting the record on the player is a bigger, more complicated task. The record has finite uses before it will start to perform badly, sort of like us ourselves. The ritual is more human than putting a CD in, which is more human than clicking a digital stream.

I think you're right. This question is subjective, as all audio hobby things are, because they are your ears. However, LP versions of albums I also own on CD tend to have what I discussed above; a deeper soundstage, a lower noise floor, hotter treble and bass and mid, like the EQ just went up, and more realism to the sound. The interesting thing is that it doesn't stop there. Original CDs from the early 80s often sound more like the analog versions of the album than the later releases on CD in the 90s and 2000s. Tape, which is analog, also sounds this way.

On the other hand, records are fragile and can get damaged easier than CDs. I listen to tapes and CDs as well, and I will often do things while listening to them, like put records away. Playing records, however, I sit and listen to them.

Old October 23rd, 2021, 09:35 PM

Update: Police officer shot after pulling over a car, he drove himself to the E.R. Non life threatening. They caught a couple of suspects, one still on the loose (hence the helicopter).
Old October 24th, 2021, 04:53 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I don't recall having been to New Baden, IL.

Mike - That's actually the first time I've listened to the Hank Snow version. Did you notice the Indian motocycle (yes, motocycle not motorcycle) @ 2:08 in the YouTube video? I do enjoy the Johnny Cash version of "I've Been Everywhere"

Dan - Weirdness prevails these days. Shooting an LEO on a routine traffic stop? Ugh.
Old October 24th, 2021, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
This is The Great Debate of audiophiles.
. . .
I think you're right. This question is subjective, as all audio hobby things are, because they are your ears. However, LP versions of albums I also own on CD tend to have what I discussed above; a deeper soundstage, a lower noise floor, hotter treble and bass and mid, like the EQ just went up, and more realism to the sound. The interesting thing is that it doesn't stop there. Original CDs from the early 80s often sound more like the analog versions of the album than the later releases on CD in the 90s and 2000s. Tape, which is analog, also sounds this way.
John - Thanks for confirming what my ears have always heard. No wonder I still like pulling out an old album from time to time, just sitting, doing nothing but listening!
Old October 24th, 2021, 07:05 AM
Running On Empty

Audio is replete with discussions of the technology employed to (1) capture the originating signal(s) and (2) produce the amplified signal(s). Audio discussions are absolutely insane, they're all over the sound board. One area which often remains unspoken by audio "generalists" are fundamental discussions surrounding Stage One (1st Stage) and Stage Two (2nd Stage) of audio. In its purest/simplest form the 1st Stage of audio is capturing of the input signal while the 2nd Stage of audio is output of the originating (1st Stage) signal. You can change/manipulate the 1st Stage input signal(s) via many audio devices - where & how changes/manipulations (if any) are made to these signal(s) is one of the hallmarks of the recording industry. There are a plethora of methods to change/manipulate audio/sound. You can also change/manipulate the 2nd Stage output signal(s) - another hallmark of the recording industry.

I enjoy good audio discussions, I'm no expert, but I've enjoyed the many hours/years I've spent learning how to manipulate & understand audio/sound. The two fundamental premises which involve all audio/sound recording(s) still remain the same: (1) 1st Stage - hearing/listening/capturing the originating sound; and, (2) 2nd Stage - amplifying the originating (1st Stage) sound. Almost anywhere within this path lay opportunities for varying input signals & output signals whether they were produced via analog or digital. At the end of the day every signal is a mere waveform.
Old October 24th, 2021, 07:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

I had no clue I had spent 2 hours at the Awful house, until I saw the clock in the car and thought, that can't be right. Tiger must have thought I forgot about him.

Beautiful day. Supposed to warm up a little but the sun is out. After I get back from the store I'm going to spend the afternoon working on the pickup. It needs a few things that would be nice to have done for my big trip. Not to mention once I get back from Florida I'm taking it to Alabama. Hm, I better take out a loan for all the gas.

Norm I've only heard the Hank Snow version. Never knew Johnny Cash did it. I suppose a song that old, a lot of people have covered it. I saw the bike, didn't know what it was.

Well, off to market. Hope everyone enjoys their Sunday.

Old October 24th, 2021, 08:03 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - The picture (Abernathy Kids) in the YouTube video is a picture of the two young Abernathy Boys (ages 9 & 5) who drove that Indian Motocycle from Oklahoma to Santa Fe, NM in 1909 with their father's approval. It is a true story, their father was U.S. Marshal John Abernathy.
The Astounding Adventures of the Abernathy Boys