The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2021, 10:01 AM

The Astounding Adventures of the Abernathy Boys Wow, a great story.
Old October 24th, 2021, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
^^^X2

Been out in the garage working on replacing the Indian's battery. I already had the side covers, seat, and ECU unbolted which are necessary just to get to the battery, but hadn't actually removed the old battery yet. Disconnected the battery and got it out without breaking anything else, I think. Boy is it a tight fit in that battery box though! I wanted to get the old one out and compare it to the new one to see if it is an exact size match before I activated the new one. It looks to be exact. So I filled the new battery with acid and sealed it, and now I'm supposed to let it sit at least 1 to 2-hours for the acid to interact with the AGM material and lead plates before putting it on the charger. Initial charge is supposed to be a slow charge, 5 to 10-hours on 1.5 to 2.0 Amp max. Should be ready to install by tomorrow morning, keeping my fingers crossed.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old October 24th, 2021, 11:00 AM
Running On Empty

There really isn’t to filling any battery w/ electrolyte. Yuasa makes a good battery. You should be mindful of the charge rate when initializing the battery (as you are doing). A nice slow 1.0 - 1.5 amps over 12-16 hrs is optimum. That’s most likely what your Battery Tender outputs.
Old October 24th, 2021, 11:22 AM

I'm working on restoring from the a$$ end forward 1st trailer the Jerry can holder ( which I had left over from previous M 38 A 1

Could be a while

Old October 24th, 2021, 11:28 AM
Running On Empty

That looks excellent, James.
Old October 24th, 2021, 11:39 AM
Running On Empty

Today, I'm a contender - I'm doing stuff. First on the agenda was to weed whack. Third pull on the Husky weed whacker yielded a broken pull rope. Disassembly, re-threading the rope through the rope turn-style & I'm back to weed whacking in 30'. Next, I'm about to run out of 2-cyle mixed fuel in my fuel can. Nope - no more 2-cycle oil on the shelf, so a quick trip to Ace and I have enough 2-cycle through at least next year - barring no chain saw requirements over the winter months. Now, I'm getting hungry. So, I ordered up my favorite lasagna dish at my favorite local restaurant for take-out. With a good nourishment of food I'll get the weed whacking out of the way today. Hopefully it will be the last of the weed whacking this season.
Old October 24th, 2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
There really isn’t to filling any battery w/ electrolyte. Yuasa makes a good battery. You should be mindful of the charge rate when initializing the battery (as you are doing). A nice slow 1.0 - 1.5 amps over 12-16 hrs is optimum. That’s most likely what your Battery Tender outputs.
Using the tender off the 4-4-2 to charge the new battery since it has alligator clips on it, 1.5 amp.
Old October 24th, 2021, 12:18 PM
Running On Empty

I have a couple sets of Battery Tender adapters/accessories with two sets of the alligator clips which I can plug into the Battery Tender plugs - depending on how the Battery Tender is installed. In any case, of course the alligator clips are the chosen commodity here.
Old October 24th, 2021, 12:20 PM
Running On Empty

Lasagna consumed - back to weed whacking.
Old October 24th, 2021, 01:34 PM
Always room for one more

Guess what I did for lunch. Spent two hours at the Awful house. My friend said, meet me back up there and I'll give you that post setter. So we talked awhile and had lunch, then went out and talked some more in the parking lot. Then I went to get my groceries and now I'm done for the day. Bizzare.

I can't imagine letting two young boys run off like that on a long trip. I suspect they weren't alone much, although they might not have known that. Much like the outlaws who were tailing them but keeping their distance, the dad probably had people along the way keeping track of them. Even so that detracts zero from the monumental and awesome trip(s) those boys were on. When I was 5 years old I would say I was going to run away, and then go hide in my room until lunchtime.

Tomorrow I will change oil in my truck, and also I remembered the AC belt needs to be put on. It broke over the summer and I just never got around to it. Well, we're going to Florida in the fall, it will be hot, so we need AC. The system itself works fine, until the belt shreds itself and slings off.

Okay time for the rest of the pizza and then wind down for the evening. Have a good evening everyone.

Old October 24th, 2021, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
My friend said, meet me back up there and I'll give you that post setter. So we talked awhile and had lunch, then went out and talked some more in the parking lot.
You talked, had lunch, went out & talked some more.

Did you get the post setter?
Old October 24th, 2021, 02:20 PM
Always room for one more

Yes I did get the post setter. Also, he brought me a 16 foot extension ladder. And, while we were talking I happened to ask him what size file I needed to sharpen my chain saw, and he reached in the back and grabbed one and gave it to me. I guess living across the street from Shaq, something's rubbed off on him. He's a generous guy anyway, always available to help or loan you stuff.

Old October 24th, 2021, 07:38 PM

Drove up to Terre Haute to get the last of the stuff from grandma's. Had a funny story with Taco Bell that I'll quote my facebook post on. The buyer is running on a right of access agreement so they can start on the damage. They took the porch roof off, stowed the salvaged wood, stacked bricks. They dropped the ceiling in the living room and the back room since they're both toast. Big dumpster and a boom lift out front. I took a lot of pictures.

I grabbed various garage things to finish it up, and what was left in the house I wanted, said goodbye to a couple neighbors, left the spare keys in a spot, and left. Since the closing docs can be mailed, they'll send them to my family members, then, when they get them back, they can close between the title company and the buyer and I don't have to be involved. I've got one more trip to clean out the deposit box at the bank sometime, but I'm done, otherwise, I think. Drove home and unloaded the stuff into a storage unit I rent. Ate some Taco Bell leftovers.

The Taco Bell Story:

Ok, so I was rolling into the Haute for nearly the last time, and I needed lunch. Jimmy Johns seemed healthy, so in I go to Towne South Plaza and that old shopping center which had killed Kroger, a movie theater, Gander Mountain, and others, had taken out Jimmy Johns.
Taco Bell was still there. People like to take For Ever to order. Like 5 min. I get up there and order. "#3, soft taco, Pepsi, no sauce. " //$7.55// "Ok, thanks." 30 seconds.
I get up there, I pay exact change cause I had time to get it. She takes the money, hands me the receipt. Then comes the drink, then she said the food would be ready in a minute.
Every staff member in there is in a circle cutting up and shooting the ***** so it takes a few min. She hands me the sack of food, I put it in my right hand to open it with my left to judge the contents being my order, and my brain went like this:
"Hey, this bag is twice as heavy as it should be."
"Should I tell them?"
"Nah, this town sucks and they're goofing off and took forever."
"TACO BELL ERROR IN YOUR FAVOR, COLLECT FREE FOOD!!!!"
So, instead of my burrito supreme, soft taco supreme, and Pepsi, I got 9 tacos and a Pepsi. Of the seven eaten for lunch and dinner, two were normal soft tacos, and the other five were Chipotle Potato Soft Tacos, and, I'm not really a fan. Hopefully the last two are normal ones. Oh, well, free dinner, and free snack tomorrow.
Old October 24th, 2021, 07:42 PM

Wow that must be a first that someone didn’t get ganked at Taco Bell. Growing up the saying was you always get F’d at the Taco Bell drivethrough.
Old October 24th, 2021, 07:48 PM
Running On Empty

That’s a funny story, John.
Old October 25th, 2021, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
x3

Thanks for sharing

I'm having a " stuff " overload problem thinking about building yet another shed to house ( potential) new jeep and trailer.

4 hot water heater, 4 HVAC units, 5 fireplaces 9 roofs, 8 car/ mower/ tractor/ gator, boat batteries

4 cars, 6 canoes, 2 gators

Untold firearms

I'm beginning to realize maybe I've gone overboard and maybe I should direct my energies elsewhere rather than acquiring more " stuff "

My ( depression era) father would say " there's a big difference between want and need "
the original plan was to give the jeep trailer to Mike.

Oh yeah, Norm 3 sets of pings

Just sharing some thoughts, I'll get back with you
Old October 25th, 2021, 03:18 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
My ( depression era) father would say " there's a big difference between want and need "
Your father was a smart man.
Old October 25th, 2021, 06:20 AM
Jeff

This weekend was supposed to be diagnose and order repair part for oven, but also turned into diagnose and order part for dryer. DAMMIT! Of course, dryer issue discovered after having two loads go thru wash, so now have to get to laundromat while I wait for my part. Igniter and heating element, respectively. Amazon Prime next day shipping sure would've been nice for the heating element, but since the pandemic, it's usually 2 or 3 days. Igniter is supposed to be here today, though.

At least with the dryer, it's something I had gone thru before. Cover off and conductivity tested within a few minutes, part pulled in 10. Also took the occasion to stuff the leaf blower into the vent and blast it clean.
Old October 25th, 2021, 06:26 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
...turned into diagnose and order part for dryer.
Jeff - Shall we form a club?
Old October 25th, 2021, 06:49 AM
Jeff

Jeff - Shall we form a club?
I think I had already posted a pic of me flipping the bird to the dryer on one of the other occasions I've had to fix it. This is at least the 8th repair to it: rollers/belt, two times soldering circuit board, replace circuit board, replace heating element, replace thermal switch, replace thermal fuse, replace heating element. I actually told the wife on Saturday night, "I'm going to take this thing out into the field and shoot it."

I jinxed myself because I mentioned your repair ordeal to the wife. After I get it fixed again, I will not discuss appliances at all. I swear that bastard is listening, and says, "Oh, you have free time? Not anymore, sucker!"
Old October 25th, 2021, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Drove up to Terre Haute to get the last of the stuff from grandma's. Had a funny story with Taco Bell that I'll quote my facebook post on. The buyer is running on a right of access agreement so they can start on the damage. They took the porch roof off, stowed the salvaged wood, stacked bricks. They dropped the ceiling in the living room and the back room since they're both toast. Big dumpster and a boom lift out front. I took a lot of pictures.

I grabbed various garage things to finish it up, and what was left in the house I wanted, said goodbye to a couple neighbors, left the spare keys in a spot, and left. Since the closing docs can be mailed, they'll send them to my family members, then, when they get them back, they can close between the title company and the buyer and I don't have to be involved. I've got one more trip to clean out the deposit box at the bank sometime, but I'm done, otherwise, I think. Drove home and unloaded the stuff into a storage unit I rent. Ate some Taco Bell leftovers.

The Taco Bell Story:
John - The Taco Bell story was a good one! To quote Mr. Gump, the Taco Bell drive-thru is like a box of chocolates.

I feel for you being the family member having to settle your Grandma's estate, I'm sure there are alot of mixed emotions going on as you let go of things. I hope the rest of the immediate family are appreciative of your efforts. You're a good man Charlie Brown!
Old October 25th, 2021, 08:28 AM

I'm beginning to realize maybe I've gone overboard and maybe I should direct my energies elsewhere rather than acquiring more " stuff "

Just sharing some thoughts, I'll get back with you
James - Wow, that's alot of "stuff" and big stuff too, and I'm sure it's not an exhaustive list. Here's my 2-cents worth. Give away to family members some of those items you'll never use, if they will use them and have space for them. Garage sale or auction off other misc. items you have more than two of. Or, simply donate a bunch of stuff to the Goodwill or some other place that can make use of them. Just suggestions, I'm a pack rat myself and have a hard time practicing what I'm preaching here. More often than not my wife has to guide me in getting my head on right!
Old October 25th, 2021, 10:30 AM

Chris thanks for the suggestions. I'd rather have some one whip me with a chain than have another garage sale. The mentally of the shoppers drives me insane

Example. I had some framed bahamian money. ( close to us value) $50,20,10,5,1
Because it's pretty.

Some Yahoo offers me 2 bucks, I say No and he leaves and comes back at the end of the sale to see if I had changed my mind
Old October 25th, 2021, 10:37 AM

Chris thanks for the suggestions. I'd rather have some one whip me with a chain than have another garage sale. The mentally of the shoppers drives me insane

Example. I had some framed bahamian money. ( close to us value) $50,20,10,5,1
Because it's pretty.

Some Yahoo offers me 2 bucks, I say No and he leaves and comes back at the end of the sale to see if I had changed my mind
James - Can't blame you there, I hate garage sale mentality too! Our subdivision sponsors 2 garage sales per year, one in the spring and one in the fall. I've been here 12-years now and I have never participated. My neighbors across the street participate, and I have put stuff out over at their house and given them a bottom line price what I will take for particular item/s. More than one way to skin a cat.
Old October 25th, 2021, 11:19 AM
Running On Empty

I went to play golf. No one showed up. It was very, very, very mildly misting with skies expected to clear by the time we teed off. Still, there was not a soul around. Pansies. I headed to Dick's and bought a new putter. That'll teach 'em to mess w/ me.
Old October 25th, 2021, 12:04 PM

Norm, I hate to tell you but golf stores holes are larger making you think the putter you are trying out is the greatest thing since sliced bread
Old October 25th, 2021, 12:10 PM
Running On Empty

James - There was nothing to try out. I replaced my putter with the exact same putter - 35"L shaft. Same exact grip. The grip on my putter was literally falling off.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...2020whthtrxptr
Old October 25th, 2021, 12:55 PM

I've always re gripped my putter
Old October 25th, 2021, 01:20 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Such a nice day out. Good night for a cruise in. It's the last one for Summit for the year. Hope it's a big turnout.

Work was okay. I was at my desk. We finished up with a reduced number right after 2. We actually did better than Friday. Pitiful. I expect the same from tomorrow but who cares, I'm off after that.

I thought I was going to Alabama after I got back from my Mom's but it isn't going to happen. I can't get Tiger in to board, until December. So I'm staying home and using those days as extra days to move. So this is what I've done. I denounced the vet with the high boarding prices and took up with a vet that has lower boarding prices, but I can't ever board. Have I gained anything?

I'm finding out just how much stuff I have. Can I just lock the door and not come back and start all over? My problem is 99% of all this crap is essential, even though I haven't seen some of it in decades. I don't condone hoarding, but I understand it.

Okay gonna run a couple errands, go over to the house real quick, then go to Summit. You know what I haven't seen this year, the yellow 67 442 with the crazy stripes. Hm.

Old October 25th, 2021, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

I tried re-gripping a couple putters over the years with the Super Stroke grips - didn't care for them. I might look at them again. I have yet to find a putter grip which replicates the Odyssey grip. Additionally, the putter shaft is starting to become a little pitted in areas w/ some rust pits. I re-grip all of my own shafts with Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grips.
Old October 25th, 2021, 02:10 PM

Okay gonna run a couple errands, go over to the house real quick, then go to Summit. You know what I haven't seen this year, the yellow 67 442 with the crazy stripes. Hm.
Mike - If you see the '67 take a pic, I always like to see thes'67's, even with crazy stripes!
Old October 25th, 2021, 03:25 PM

Good evening guys,

Wow, 81° yesterday, and a high of only 55° today, totally overcast, breezy, just downright chilly. Wasn't getting sweaty in the garage today. The battery finished charging last night and I went out to put it back in after it warmed up a bit. It went back in fine, I purposely left the seat and covers off until I was sure it was going to start. It fired right up, and the battery sounded much stronger. Got everything back together fine. That was my excitement for the day.

Norm - I've got to say, I'm with James on the new putter, I don't understand why you just didn't have your old one re-gripped? I tried out a few different brands and styles of putters, but kept going back to the simple solid brass headed one I initially learned with, I liked the heft and balance of it.

Hope everyone had a good day.
Old October 25th, 2021, 04:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I've got to say, I'm with James on the new putter, I don't understand why you just didn't have your old one re-gripped?
I thought I made myself pretty clear.

I tried re-gripping a couple putters over the years with the Super Stroke grips - didn't care for them. I might look at them again. I have yet to find a putter grip which replicates the Odyssey grip. Additionally, the putter shaft is starting to become a little pitted in areas w/ some rust pits. I re-grip all of my own shafts with Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grips.
Old October 25th, 2021, 04:20 PM

I thought I made myself pretty clear.
Sorry Norm, I missed this part, "I have yet to find a putter grip which replicates the Odyssey grip."
Old October 25th, 2021, 05:15 PM
Always room for one more

So that does it for the Summit Racing cruise in's for the year. Not a big turnout, pretty much the same cars every week. Nice to get out. Four Oldsmobiles. As I was turning in a 60 Dynamic 88 was leaving. In the show was a 68 442 convertible, and as I was walking into the store a 70 Supreme was coming in, mustard yellow with the wrong hood and rather beat up, and as I was walking out a 75-ish Cutlass was coming in. That's more Oldsmobile action just tonight than I've seen all summer.

I'll lay off the joke about regripping my putter. I'm *sure no one would get it because I don't play golf.

So I went to Sonic to grab a bite on the way to the show. I thought, if I drink pop this late I won't sleep. So I asked for a hot fudge shake. Apparently they don't do malts anymore. Sorry, we're out of hot fudge. I said okay, how about chocolate. We're out of that too. I said, I guess I'll have a Coke. What was that? What do you want? I thought, the hot fudge and the chocolate are probably sitting right there and no one wants to mess with them. Eh.

Jamesbo if you want some help sorting, going through, moving, etc, all your stuff give me a call I'm off all next week. I need to go up there and bring you the jerry can.

And now, bed. Early tomorrow but I'm not going in. Two hours of over time won't even register hardly. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old October 25th, 2021, 05:37 PM

Mike that's very kind of you but your plate sounds pretty full

I'll manage

Just been thinking (and venting) about want vs. Need

Old October 25th, 2021, 05:38 PM

I'll lay off the joke about regripping my putter. I'm *sure no one would get it because I don't play golf.
I just use one from the bucket by the club house. Not the short ones with the plastic head and Mickey Mouse grip, but a long one with the metal head.
Old October 26th, 2021, 04:31 AM
Running On Empty

So I went to Sonic to grab a bite on the way to the show. I thought, if I drink pop this late I won't sleep. So I asked for a hot fudge shake. Apparently they don't do malts anymore. Sorry, we're out of hot fudge. I said okay, how about chocolate. We're out of that too. I said, I guess I'll have a Coke. What was that? What do you want? I thought, the hot fudge and the chocolate are probably sitting right there and no one wants to mess with them. Eh.
Mike - The best place I've found for a "...on the road..." (or otherwise) malted milkshake is a COOK OUT restaurant. Each of these milkshakes are also available as a malted.

Old October 26th, 2021, 04:43 AM
Running On Empty

I ordered up a bunch of olives last night since it's olive harvest time around the world (mostly the Mediterranean) October through November.

Old October 26th, 2021, 05:05 AM

Norm, are you switching from milk shakes to martinis?

FWIW they are like ***** 1 isn't enough and 3 is too many