The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
James - Where the hell would we all be without Norm, just a bunch of damn Neanderthals!
Well I was happily married because I knew how to keep my mouth shut.
Old October 29th, 2021, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Greg - Great little story! Do you have a plow for your Quad, is that why you don't need a snowblower? Did you have time to do anything fun this afternoon after your tests were done?
Chris, I do have a plow for my quad which came with it, and I did use it the first year we were up here. It was overworked, It has a winch on it that wraps up a cable, so that is what raises the plow. I have to go back and forth-up and down and the winch really gets used a lot. 2 years ago I bought a old rusty retired 06 F250 plow truck from a small city- now it does a fine job!! I also have a Craftsman snow blower that I bought before we moved. So now I blow the snow on the cement drive close to house, use truck for gravel part at house and over at barn. Works good. Say talking about lubes, etc. I was surprised to see a while back when I picked up a rag or something and had to take apart the auger, that there were no places to grease this blower!! I fact the bearing are just a nylon type stuff, what a POS! (I thought at the time) BUT just 2 weeks ago I changed oil in it and decided to check out bearings, etc. Everything is still like new! I guess when you think about it grease and oil don't go with water well, and the auger will never get hot as long as it is blowing snow! Now a rototiller that is a completely different animal.
--We had a nice time in the Ann Arbor area, Went to the River Rouge tour which left the Henry Ford by bus. It is a amazing plant which builds F150's. Then on Thursday went to the U of M Museum of Natural History. It was cool too!
Old October 29th, 2021, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--We had a nice time in the Ann Arbor area, Went to the River Rouge tour which left the Henry Ford by bus. It is a amazing plant which builds F150's. Then on Thursday went to the U of M Museum of Natural History. It was cool too!
Greg - Thanks for the explanation on the snowblower/plowing situation, I knew you had to have some kind of equipment up there! Sounds like you saw some cool stuff and had a good time while you were there. Hope the testing went well!
Old October 29th, 2021, 07:34 AM

My friend who expatted to Israel would say "Here comes the Calvary" when driving past the hill.
Old October 29th, 2021, 09:27 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out and a little cool. Nice day to do stuff outside. Gonna go over to my sister's and change the belt on the truck.

With Jamesbo's definition of a happy marriage, he and Norm will never get married.

All this snow talk has me twitching. Living close to Lake Michigan we'd get so much snow by the end of the winter I'd run out of places to pile it. But nothing like Buffalo. My folks went to a place in Canada once that got so much snow, the guy said they have to be gone by Labor Day, because the snow will be over the lodge.

Greg when do you get the results from your tests? I think the Rouge has built pretty much everything Ford has ever built at one time or another. I've owned a couple cars that were built at Wixom, but I think that place is closed now.

Well I think it's time to go outside and do something. Lollygagged pretty much the whole day yesterday so today I have a few things to do. Hope everyone has a good Friday.

Old October 29th, 2021, 09:47 AM
Running On Empty

42/42
The Hor…ror…The Hor…ror.
Old October 29th, 2021, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
42/42
The Hor…ror…The Hor…ror.
Is it The End, is it The End, my friend???
Old October 29th, 2021, 03:48 PM
Always room for one more

Got all my chores done then went and changed the belt on the truck. I've done everything I planned on for the week. Good for me. The little boy is here and we've had to endure the same episode of Dora the Explorer all afternoon. He's not even watching it but oh boy try to turn it off.

So did I tell you I'm buying Charlie Jones' rotisserie? Going there tomorrow morning. It will be a big, long triangle back home. Still saves me a leg of a trip. Think of all the work I can do now.

Been cool and overcast all day. I don't think it got over 60* but it's been wonderful. It helps at night because my Mom doesn't turn the AC on and it's hot as hell in here. At least when it's cool at night the ceiling fan can keep up.

Goody the little boy's dad is here. It's going to be a lot quieter in here soon.

Old October 29th, 2021, 04:32 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Which vehicle you intend to BBQ?
Old October 29th, 2021, 07:04 PM

Good evening guys,
Rained on and off all day, and supposed to keep it up until about 0100. I'll get up at 0600 and get the car ready to go, and check to see how dry the roads are at 0700 to decide if I want to go to the show. I'm betting the roads will still be wet. I'm not going if I can't leave by 0730.

Assisted my daughter in coaching my grandson's 3rd/4th grade rec basketball team tonight. It was fun and they seem like a great group of kids. I was a decent highschool player, but not my best sport. I had a great mentor, my Dad was a highschool coach, and All City/All State player in highschool, so I can at least teach them good fundamentals.

If I decide not to go to the car show, I'm going to the same grandson's soccer game at 0800 in the morning, it's his last one this year. Then I'll be settling in to watch the Michigan vs Michigan State football game. Should be a great one, both 7-0, and both rated in the top 10.

Hope everyone had a good day and has a great weekend.
Old October 29th, 2021, 07:30 PM
Always room for one more

Norm I think the first car to go on it will be the Amphicar. I've seen Amphi's on rotisserie's before but I'm not sure exactly how I'll attach it. That's okay, I'll get it set up in the basement and figure it out one afternoon.

Chris if you don't ever go to judged shows, or if you never detail the bottom of the car, who cares if the roads are wet. A bit of Quick Detailer and a soft towel will clean up the green part and you're good to go. I was at the Corvair convention one year and the judges there get underneath and judge cleanliness of the entire bottom of the car, inside the trunk, under the hood, every crack and crevasse. This one guy had a beautiful late model convertible, which had last been out at the convention the year before. He lost points on the underside of the car. Cobwebs. That guy was pissed but we all howled.

Watched Herbie tonight. Those are all Volkswagen sounds in the movie but they aren't coming from that car. Herbie is a single port 1300, but the sounds are a dual port 1600. Haven't seen Andy Granatelli for awhile.

Not gonna get up any special time, but will get going as soon as I can. Long trip to Orlando tomorrow. Then it will be a long trip home. It will be good to get back. Then the week long task of moving. First getting the shower figured out. Then getting the fence figured out. Then moving. Oy.

Okay off to bed. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old October 29th, 2021, 07:53 PM
Always room for one more

Kind of a corny video but a few seldom seen views of the car.

Old October 29th, 2021, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris if you don't ever go to judged shows, or if you never detail the bottom of the car, who cares if the roads are wet.
Mike - Where did you get I "never go to judged shows"? I've had my car in 12 judged shows this summer, and the one tomorrow is a judged show.

Old October 30th, 2021, 01:56 AM
Running On Empty

The next 10-15 days weather forecast looks to be awesome fall weather with highs in the mid- to upper-60s during the day and upper 50s at night. I normally like to head to the Smoky Mountains this time of year (~10 hrs bike ride) for several days w/ several other guys to ride in the Mountains. I think I'll remain right here along the coast this year - great golf weather, as well.

I replaced a Pfister faucet sprayer on the kitchen sink last night. I'm going to replace a complete Pfister faucet assembly in one of the two bathroom vanity sinks this morning. They each have lifetime warranties. I've had to replace the entire kitchen faucet once under warranty in the past ten years this will be the first time replacing one of the bathroom faucet assemblies. I don't know. I could have gone Moen, Delta, Kohler, Pfister, etc. and I think they all eventually give up the ghost after about ten years usage. I don't know. Oh well, no cost replacements under a lifetime warranty I guess is a good thing.
Old October 30th, 2021, 04:30 AM

Norm, That's a good thing to know about Pfister faucets lifetime warrantee. I remember going into a high end plumbing store 30 yrs ago and talking about how I really wanted high quality faucets. I was shut down when they showed me the price, $300.00 each back then. So I went to somewhere else and bought Moen-I think for about $70. They were OK. But as we know plumbing is a royal PIA.
Well, I am finding out laptop computer and 8 week old puppy don't mix well. He is helping me type. Yep, we got our new dog. He is a miniature Labradoodle and cute as a bug. Now for potty training, etc. he is a lover and whines if left alone at all. I think he will be great. We don't have a name yet. I like a single syllable name as they usually get shortened when you call them. We kinda like Bo or Flash or Dash also Bossy which would become Boss I'm sure. You guys got suggestions?? Here's some poor pics....

Old October 30th, 2021, 05:05 AM
Running On Empty

Re-oriented images for you, Greg.

Old October 30th, 2021, 05:15 AM
Running On Empty

Cute pup. Regarding dog names. I think a name which doesn't resemble a "command" are good names. Anything dissimilar to "stay", "sit", "fetch", "down" are good names. Bo would be good if you don't intend to use the word "go" for a command. Boss & Flash would be good, also. Jake might not be good since it sounds like "stay". Mitch might not be good since it sounds like "sit".

You should see me uninstalling the old faucet assembly & installing the new one with a busted up rotator cuff. It's like watching a gimp roll around the ground each time I get up & down from the floor. I can't put any pressure on the left shoulder, so I roll over to the right getting up & basically the same process getting down on the floor. I'm sure it would look quite funny to someone watching.
Old October 30th, 2021, 07:37 AM

Well, I am finding out laptop computer and 8 week old puppy don't mix well. He is helping me type. Yep, we got our new dog. He is a miniature Labradoodle and cute as a bug. Now for potty training, etc. he is a lover and whines if left alone at all. I think he will be great. We don't have a name yet. I like a single syllable name as they usually get shortened when you call them. We kinda like Bo or Flash or Dash also Bossy which would become Boss I'm sure. You guys got suggestions?? Here's some poor pics....
Greg - Really cute pup! We have a couple around us here in the neighborhood, cute when full grown too. I'm placing my vote for Bo, I think it suits him! Congrats and good luck with the training.
Old October 30th, 2021, 07:56 AM

Norm since you don't own a 69 and have cracked your head a few times, I'll share the 69 tooth /head protection trick

duct Tape a pool noodle to the bottom of the cabinets

You're welcome
Old October 30th, 2021, 08:07 AM

Good morning guys,
Well, I obviously didn't decide to go to the car show. It was 48°, totally overcast, and roads were damp at 0700, so I bagged it. Left for my grandson's soccer game at 0730 and got home about 0920, it's still only 50°. There was even more water on the roads than I originally estimated by just looking at the streets in our subdivision. I think discretion was the better part of valor in not going to the car show, it would have been chilly just sitting around for hours.

Norm - That sounds like a tough way to spend a Saturday morning, especially with that bum shoulder. I hope you're able to get it done without messing up your shoulder more.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old October 30th, 2021, 09:21 AM
Running On Empty

James - I've heard/read about the '69 hood busting several heads and the pool noodle trick. I'll tell you, cracking your head on that hood sounds very painful. I've walked away unscathed from the below vanity shelving and sink edge. Feeling a nice cringe in my hip though when I get up.
Chris - I'm done with the faucet - not so bad, really.

While negotiating the plumbing work, several kids pulled into the Mom & Pop service garage next door. I was heading to the gas station for some fuel. Upon returning they were still there - assembled around their 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee puzzled looks on their faces so I stopped. Long story short, they didn't know $HIT from SHINOLA about a vehicle. They blew an upper radiator hose, I sent them to the automotive parts store for a new one while I grabbed a bucket of clean water & a pouring spout. I did an R&R on their upper radiator hose and sent them on their way. They were very peculiar/weird kids. I don't believe any one of them could have told you the name of another planet. I'm not certain they knew Earth was a planet. They most likely believe Texas is a foreign country. Not much of any thank you from any of them. Very odd.
Old October 30th, 2021, 09:25 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I think the first car to go on it will be the Amphicar. I've seen Amphi's on rotisserie's before but I'm not sure exactly how I'll attach it. That's okay, I'll get it set up in the basement and figure it out one afternoon.
I suppose you can tack-weld it in several areas that would work.
Old October 30th, 2021, 09:46 AM

Not much of any thank you from any of them. Very odd.
Norm - Way to be the good Samaritan! It's a shame many kids these days aren't instilled with any better manners than they have. Whole different animal because of the age difference, but I have to say that as a group, the 3rd and 4th graders I worked with last night were respectful and attentive. It's hard to hold that age group's attention completely for an hour and a half long practice, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Old October 30th, 2021, 09:50 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Yeah, most kids aren't like these - they were like from the planet Dead or somewhere. It made me wonder what these kids are going to be like the remainder of their lives.
Old October 30th, 2021, 10:52 AM

Norm - Thought this would be a good choice of grease for the snowblower being used in the wet snow and potential salt! Got my brush when I was at Walmart yesterday.

Old October 30th, 2021, 12:39 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - That'll work just fine. Basically waterproof greases are in three (more or less classes): Calcium Sulfonate, Lithium & Aluminum. There are Poly-Urea & Clay greases, as well. Greases are produced for various applications, two of the most important properties of a grease is the ability to sustain high levels of heat without breaking down (viscosity) and ability to resist oxidation. You aren't necessarily worried about those properties for what you're lubricating so basically any general purpose waterproof grease will work fine. The grease you purchased is a calcium sulfonate grease - no worries. You could have used Petroleum Vaseline with good results most likely. At any rate, having a tub of grease with a cheap-o brush for application(s) makes greasing items so much easier and fast.

Cut a nice 2" square hole in the middle of the lid, replace the lid and insert the brush. Done.

Damn - I fell asleep in front of my PC and now I have a neck ache. Argh.
Old October 30th, 2021, 08:40 PM

I suppose you can tack-weld it in several areas that would work.
Mike ( as you know) what I know about Amphicars wouldn't fill a thimble

I've read the way to restore one is from the bottom up. So unless you want the titanic of amphicars. The welded seams need to be water tight. I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish that . Have you thought about fiberglass strips over the welds?

I've also read an extra ( 2) bilge pump comes in handy

I'd love to see pictures of your restoration
Old October 30th, 2021, 08:49 PM
Running On Empty

Where is the battery mounted on an Amphicar? The reason I ask? Bilge Pump. Does it come OEM with an electric bilge pump? I'd have a hand-held bilge pump available as backup. Honestly, I don't think I'd drive an old Amphicar in the water, but I'd like to see video on the day you do, Mike.
Old October 30th, 2021, 10:01 PM

It's up high on the right side in the engine compartment. You can hardly ever see a pic of one since the hood opens to the left, thus every engine picture is from the right and the battery is below the frame.

They do have bilge pumps.
Old October 31st, 2021, 08:13 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Wow what a long ride. Left Mom's at 1130, got home at 2. Charlie is a nice fellow and we talked a little, and I hit the road. No problems, just a long ride. He had taken this thing apart so now I have a jigsaw puzzle. Should be fun.

Norm the battery is on the right side of the car. It's 12v positive ground. The story there is it won't be as affected if it gets wet. Which it does. The factory bilge pump is on the right side, up on the bulkhead. It's a piece of junk. I'm not sure but 6 gph sticks in my head. It has a heavy rubber impellor inside a plastic housing and if you run it dry more than about 3 seconds it burns out the pump. When I drove my car I had a cheep Walmart special under the back seat that ran circles around the original. Before all the bondo cracked and came out I had my car in the water all the time.

I will attest to the hood tooth problem. But I will say you don't have to be as tall to suffer the wrath on a 70. That center piece is longer.

Chris I think I used the wrong word. I meant Concours. My question is the same. If no one gets down to inspect the underside of the car who cares.

Way to go Greg with the new puppy. I knew you couldn't hold out. How about name him after a car part. Axle. Speedo. It's Halloween, how about Boo. Then when you call him you can say hey boo! I think it's easier for a dog to learn his name if it's one syllable. Bill.

Well, I guess I need to get things in order here from being gone 4 days. Plenty to do this week. And it's cold. I should call to have the gas turned on so we some heat. I also need to clean the stove and the chimney so I can get that thing going.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old October 31st, 2021, 08:32 AM
Running On Empty

Hey Mike - Hope you enjoyed your trip and welcome home.
Old October 31st, 2021, 05:17 PM

Good evening guys,

Pretty busy day. Started around 0800 on cleaning and prepping my car for winter storage. Got both the bumpers polished and waxed before we had to leave for a furniture pick-up. My wife bought a china buffet and hutch, and a drop-leaf table and two chairs. We were just barely able to get it all in the truck, which has a cap on it.

After we got home and got the furniture inside, I went back out to the garage and cleaned the vinyl top and put vinyl conditioner on it. After that, I cleaned and vacuumed the interior, and then conditioned all the vinyl surfaces.. Then I placed some bowls with wadded up dryer sheets in the front and rear floorboards. I don't know if they work or not, but I've read several sources swearing Bounce dryer sheets are a great mice repellant. That's as far as I got before I had to stop again because my girls were bringing the grandkids over so we could see their Halloween costumes before they went Trick-or-treating.

Back/Front; Left/-Right - Son-in-Law Mike with baby Anna, Grandpa, and Grandma; grandson's Gabe as the Black Panther, Keegan as Mario, and Ollie as a ghost. They were cute as hell!

I have someone coming to blow-out my sprinkler system sometime tomorrow morning to shut it down for the season, not sure exactly what time he'll get to me because he has several clients in our subdivision. While I'm waiting, I'll keep going on cleaning and waxing the exterior of the car. Then I'll be moving on to winterizing the bikes, although I probably won't get to them tomorrow..

Hope everyone had a great day! We're going to settle in here in a minute and watch a couple of horror films. I think my wife wants to watch Amityville and Halloween.
Old October 31st, 2021, 08:18 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Norm. It was an uneventful trip but a nice day for a drive. And, mission accomplished so that's even better.

Took the truck over to the house and just left it under the back porch. I'll unload all the parts later. Got the dogmobile and hit the grocery store. You know, after driving the big truck for days, the dogmobile seemed sort of lacking. It took a few stop signs before I wouldn't try to step on the clutch, which of course the dogmobile doesn't have.

I texted my friend Leo this evening, knowing full well he'd call and we'd talk for two hours. Which he did, and we did. That's okay. Leo is a great guy whom I enjoy talking with. We're cut from the same cloth in a lot of ways and I think it irritates him a little when I tell him that. We're only 24 years apart.

So the big week of moving starts tomorrow. I can think of several things that have nothing to do with moving that I really need to do. I need to prioritize and focus. Those are two things I am not good at. We'll see how the week shakes out. One good thing, I'm not at work.

Okay have a good evening everyone. No trick or treaters here, and tomorrow is November.

Old November 1st, 2021, 02:22 AM

Greg, nice pup.Have you thought of a name yet?

Mike, plan your work, work your plan
Old November 1st, 2021, 03:06 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - I'm a strong advocate of "To Do" lists. I use lists in my everyday life, not to the finest iota, but to gain some form of simple organization. I create a list of things I need to do, when I'm done, I place a number in front of each line on the list to prioritize. I can always change priorities while working from the list. As James suggested - plan your work, work your plan.

Greg - How about "Tyke"?
Old November 1st, 2021, 06:06 AM

I ran "Axle" by wifey and she sort of likes it also "Tyke" sounds good. Well "Bo " is out. When I was just a tot, my folks got a little puppy and I guess we named it "Bo" (They said I looked at the dog and said "Bo" - I was too young to remember...) Anyway I thought that name would be good and wife liked it. But then we asked a U of M fan neighbor and he said" Yes a great name- After Bo Shembeckler!!" That killed that name... I personally don't give a rip about the MSU-U of M rivalry but the son we got dog from as a gift is died in the wool MSU.. I know he would think of the former Michigan couch if we named him BO!
-- Chris, great Halloween pic. Boy that character in the middle with the glasses is the scariest looking!! Yuk Yuk...
Old November 1st, 2021, 06:18 AM

-- Chris, great Halloween pic. Boy that character in the middle with the glasses is the scariest looking!! Yuk Yuk...
Greg - Thanks for the compliment on the pic, and you're right, the guy in the middle must have paid a small fortune for that costume to look that creepy! Good luck deciding on a name for the pup, we'll be anxious to see what you decide. He sure is a cute little feller!
Old November 1st, 2021, 07:36 AM
GCH

Good evening all , well november 1 and the bikes are cleaned and in winter storage now. Nice
they can have a warm storage , should have some service on the Honda dirtbike. The Harleys
are ok so just charging batterys under winter. Had been i Norway many times and a couple times
before long time ago in the video below , would be nice to drive these curvy roads again and se
the awesome nature in our neighbor country.

Hope everybody feeling well , very nice place to read about different things. Have checked the 88
after the deer accident but could not se any broken
things

Last edited by GCH; November 1st, 2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old November 1st, 2021, 08:45 AM

Norm Chris,

If you are going to grease grease

Old November 1st, 2021, 01:34 PM
Jeff

Someone mentioned lifetime warranties on plumbing fixtures. Moen offers that, too. I've replaced a few shower valve cartridges courtesy of that warranty, and recently got some kitchen faucet replacement parts, too. Really excellent customer service.