The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2021, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I popped the cherry on my bed extension. Works great

Looks like it worked like a charm!
Old November 3rd, 2021, 07:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

One of these days I'll dig out my jacket because it's getting down right cold in the mornings. Got the gas company coming to both houses today so I'll have heat in the house. I need to get up on the roof and clean out the chimney so I can fire up the stove. That will be real heat!

I guess two hours at the Awful house is going to be the norm. Eh, I don't get much done in the mornings anyway. Had a good crowd of friends and had a good time.

Jamesbo just give me the word and I'll run up there. As far as I know around here you don't need a permit for storage. Or a fence. Of course we don't have much architecture.

Chris, when did you become Chris? Here in the deep south everyone(but me) goes by their middle name. I would imagine that since Jamesbo is from Buckhead his first name is actually Preston or Miles.

Got a lot of outside stuff to do at the house today, so Tiger has to stay home. Maybe we'll go back over this evening. I think I'd rather be building a tractor shed.

Okay daylight is burning, have a good HUMP DAY everyone.

Old November 3rd, 2021, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Chris, when did you become Chris? Here in the deep south everyone(but me) goes by their middle name. I would imagine that since Jamesbo is from Buckhead his first name is actually Preston or Miles.
Mike - True Story. When I was in undergrad, I would introduce myself to the fairer sex as Ralph, and I can't tell you how many times I heard "No it isn't, what's your real name?" When I would tell them my name really is Ralph, they'd say, "You don't look like a Ralph." So when I went on to Grad school in 1981, a new place, a new school, nobody knew me, I started going by Chris. I have to say, I'm glad I did.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 09:38 AM

Mike, you may just call me Tertius

I mentioned pictures

And I know everyone is on the edge of their chairs

Basically moving junk from place 1 to place 2

And enlarging place 2 on the back side
Old November 3rd, 2021, 10:02 AM

Mike, you may just call me Tertius

I mentioned pictures

And I know everyone is on the edge of their chairs

Basically moving junk from place 1 to place 2

And enlarging place 2 on the back side
James - From what you said before about your property, I'm getting that pic 1 is near your house, and pic 2 is on a different part of the property, am I correct???
Old November 3rd, 2021, 11:59 AM

Chris, yes, exactly

The exigency is [now] I have to exit house drive onto the road and re enter fields/cemetery/tractor shed drive way

By moving all of my plunder

I won't playing in the road any more

Should make life simpler

Mike, You are welcome to come any time but it's a long trip for a few 2x4's and bolts
Old November 3rd, 2021, 12:59 PM

Yep, makes perfect sense to me!
Old November 3rd, 2021, 05:44 PM
Always room for one more

Chris that's a good story. Odd that people would say nah, that's not your name. There's a guy named Ralph in my shop, maybe I'll try that on him.

Jamesbo I'm going up there to bring you the jerry can. And also bringing back a big water barrel. And maybe tomato cages. There are several Tertius's(Tertii?) to which you could be referring.

Got the gas turned on at both houses. The first house, is not without trouble. The upstairs furnace does not come on. The AC works fine, the furnace zip. The water heater doesn't have the extended blowoff line, if the pressure valve opens the water coming out could burn someone. Got news for him. I live alone and it's in the basement. It isn't burning anyone. He left the water heater off, but told me what I needed to get and how to light it off. Hm. At this house, the furnace wouldn't come on for nothing. Found that it was the fan was bound up and that shut the whole thing down. Got the fan to turn and everything worked as advertised. This was a different guy. He wanted to take the meter off "and get the old air out of it." He had a heck of a time because the meter hasn't been off since 1973. Now it leaks and if it doesn't seal itself I'm calling him back to fix it right. It's only money.

Not expecting anyone to be at the Awful house tomorrow. The one guy whom the group seems to rotate around isn't going to be there, so maybe I won't stay two hours. I could go to the airport and hang out with the old pilot guys.

I think I'll watch a little TV then hit the sack. Been a big day. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old November 3rd, 2021, 05:56 PM
Running On Empty

I really don't have $HIT to say, other than I left my cell phone on a golf cart when I left the 9-hole shootout this evening - that $UCKS!

James - That extender works great doesn't it. I don't need to use mine often, but when I do it sure is handy.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I really don't have $HIT to say, other than I left my cell phone on a golf cart when I left the 9-hole shootout this evening - that $UCKS!

James - That extender works great doesn't it. I don't need to use mine often, but when I do it sure is handy.
Norm - That does suck! Hope it's found and turned in!
Old November 3rd, 2021, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris that's a good story. Odd that people would say nah, that's not your name. There's a guy named Ralph in my shop, maybe I'll try that on him.
Mike - I swear, I heard that response several times in my teens and early 20's until I started going by Chris. The name Ralph was far too common in my family. My Dad's name was Ralph, Ralph Charles. My Mom's middle name was Christine, that's how I ended up with Ralph Christopher. Now get this, my Mom's Dad was named Ralph, as was her oldest brother. I swear, you can't make this $hit up!
Old November 3rd, 2021, 07:50 PM
Running On Empty

Ralph - I hope to find my phone in the morning.
Old November 3rd, 2021, 08:42 PM

My favorite cashier at Publix is named Paula and her father was named Paul

some one had a great sense of humor
Old November 3rd, 2021, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
forecasted lows of 29 tomorrow and 25 Thursday.
Wow. Not even close to that here.

​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​
Old November 4th, 2021, 01:27 AM

My favorite cashier at Publix is named Paula and her father was named Paul

some one had a great sense of humor

I think my attempt at humor flew over a few heads

Old November 4th, 2021, 02:56 AM

Norm, Message me your phone number and when you what time you want me to start calling it. If it's in the cart barn, they'll hear it ringing
Old November 4th, 2021, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Wow. Not even close to that here.

​​​​​​​
Kenneth - The weatherman was almost spot on. The morning low was 29° yesterday with a light frost, and it's 26° right now at 0550! It may drop another degree here yet before the sun comes up. Too frickin cold! Nice to see you're having some nicer temps where you can at least enjoy being outdoors!
Old November 4th, 2021, 04:02 AM

I think my attempt at humor flew over a few heads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vOo-3XWxpo
James - Your humor did not fly over my head, it flew over my bed. I was already in bed when you posted that last night. Got it, and chuckled, when I read it this morning!
Old November 4th, 2021, 04:05 AM

[QUOTE=Vintage Chief;morning humidor!
Ralph - I hope to find my phone in the morning.[/QUOTE]

Norm, you bastard, may your phone ring in Hell!
Old November 4th, 2021, 04:18 AM
Running On Empty

Norm, you bastard, may your phone ring in Hell!
I thought we were getting along, Ralph?

James - I'm going to stop by the cart barn first thing and check the barn. I'm actually getting ready to head out the door. I appreciate your offer. I've used the Find My Phone app before in locating my misplaced phone & others, as well - works like a charm. If I can't find it in the barn, I'll see if one of the employees or another member is there to try it for me. If no one there, I'll get up with you. Thanks.

Off to the cart barn. It's 51°F here. Not supposed to get much above 56°F - 58°F today.
Old November 4th, 2021, 04:25 AM

Good luck finding your phone!
Old November 4th, 2021, 04:30 AM

James - I'm going to stop by the cart barn first thing and check the barn. I'm actually getting ready to head out the door. I appreciate your offer. I've used the Find My Phone app before in locating my misplaced phone & others, as well - works like a charm. If I can't find it in the barn, I'll see if one of the employees or another member is there to try it for me. If no one there, I'll get up with you. Thanks.

Off to the cart barn. It's 51°F here. Not supposed to get much above 56°F - 58°F today.

This may sound incredibly stupid [Maybe Norm can answer when he returns] How in the wild wild world of sports do you use a phone app to find a phone w/o a phone?
Old November 4th, 2021, 04:53 AM
Running On Empty

Phone found - life is good.
Old November 4th, 2021, 04:54 AM

This may sound incredibly stupid [Maybe Norm can answer when he returns] How in the wild wild world of sports do you use a phone app to find a phone w/o a phone?
James - I'm not positive how that App works, but he may be able to use his laptop or other computer to geolocate his phone, using a code specific to his phone via satellite GPS. That would only get him close though, probably to the correct building if there aren't several buildings right next to each other. Don't think it can get him to a specific golf cart?
Old November 4th, 2021, 04:55 AM
Running On Empty

Ralph - James has Find My Phone on his phone. With the app he puts in my number and it sends a loud signal to my phone but ALSO, it shows a MAP showing location of phone.
Old November 4th, 2021, 04:58 AM

Phone found - life is good.
Norm - That's great, was it turned in, or still in the cart? Let us know how that Find My Phone App works?
Old November 4th, 2021, 05:08 AM
Running On Empty

Ralph - Turned in. Google is your friend. Search for Find My Phone. Believe us, it works great.
Old November 4th, 2021, 05:38 AM

You guys are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to techno sophisticated for this cracker. I think I'll just keep mine in my britches pocket

No hammering in the rain today
Old November 4th, 2021, 06:01 AM

Good morning guys,

Very cold this morning, 26° F, with a heavy frost (pic). Got some running to do later this morning, the bank, wife needs a few items from the grocery store, and save a stamp and drop the W,S,T payment off at City Hall.

I would like to get the yard mowed today, it may be the last time for the year, other than using it to mulch leaves in the front yard. We'll see?

I've got my grandson's basketball practice to help with tomorrow evening and the Washington University football game to go to on Saturday. The StL Indian riders group is having their last group ride Sunday, and I may go on that. My buddy, that I'm going to the football game with on Saturday, and I, may get out for a ride on Monday to see the Fall colors. It's supposed to get back up to close to 70° F on Monday.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Frost, UGH!!!
Old November 4th, 2021, 06:20 AM
Running On Empty

James - I'm not positive how that App works, but he may be able to use his laptop or other computer to geolocate his phone, using a code specific to his phone via satellite GPS. That would only get him close though, probably to the correct building if there aren't several buildings right next to each other. Don't think it can get him to a specific golf cart?
Chris - Every single device which transmits a signal (via WiFi, Ethernet, or otherwise) is required to have a MAC (Media Access Control) address. The MAC address is h/w stamped into the chip located on the device it cannot be removed. Obviously as you know the ability to locate such a device depends upon which technology someone (or an agency) employs to locate the device. Location via MAC is far superior than location via IP address. To this end, employment of the MAC address as opposed to the IP address will determine the relative proximity of the device. There is no need to enter a code.
Old November 4th, 2021, 06:25 AM

Chris - Every single device which transmits a signal (via WiFi, Ethernet, or otherwise) is required to have a MAC (Media Access Control) address. The MAC address is h/w stamped into the chip located on the device it cannot be removed. Obviously as you know the ability to locate such a device depends upon which technology someone (or an agency) employs to locate the device. Location via MAC is far superior than location via IP address. To this end, employment of the MAC address as opposed to the IP address will determine the relative proximity of the device. There is no need to enter a code.
Norm - Thanks for the explanation about MAC addresses and how they're used for location services. When I get a few free moments, I'm going to do some reading on that technology, it sounds interesting.
Old November 4th, 2021, 06:38 AM
Running On Empty

To help keep your head about you as you do some research think along this line. An IP address is a "routing" address. The IP address is used to route a "packet" of information. The MAC address is not used to route information. Every single packet contains a header. Every single header contains the IP address of the sender & the receiver of the packet. The MAC address is also contained in the header (information). Again, only the IP address is used to route the packet (via switches, brouters, routers, gateways, etc.). None-the-less, the header does contain one very unique identifier- the MAC address. The MAC address is burned into the Network adapter card (NIC = Network Interface Card) on every device. No two devices can ever have the same MAC address since every single chip manufactured has a different unique MAC address.

Again, IP is used for routing, MAC is a globally unique identifier (not used for routing).
Old November 4th, 2021, 07:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Now that I've completely missed the phone escapade, and the Ralph episode(which pretty much was my fault) I'm just checking in on this rainy day. We haven't had rain in over a week, it's been nice.

This would have been a good day to sleep in. Tiger wanted to get up before 6, so I thought, sleep for another hour and get going. Nope, woke up again after 8. So then I thought, great lets just keep sleeping. Tiger had other plans. I got him to get up on the bed next to me, thinking he'd go back to sleep. Nope, that lasted about 5 minutes. So then I thought, we'll go to the Awful house, no one will be there, and then I can head to the airport and hang out with those guys. Just as I was ready to pay up the place went crazy. Two servers trying to wait all the tables, take to-go orders, clean up, run the cash register. There was one chef, and the manager would alternate between cooking and going in the office. I thought, why not help out the girls? The manager is a nice guy but gets a little frazzled sometimes and doesn't focus. So I sat and waited, I wasn't going to get into that mess, and then came home. The coffee klatch usually breaks up by 10 and I wasn't going to make it. I'll try it again tomorrow.

When I lived up home my neighbors were Paul and Paulette. I think I told you guys about Paul's car when he ran into the spare tire and it looked like an elephant sat on his car. Paulette was nice enough, but very standoffish.

Kenneth send some of that our way. I'm not ready for this cold weather. Heh, 50 isn't cold. But it's been 24 years since I've been in really cold so 50 feels cold.

Well, today would be a good day to go see Jamesbo, but it's raining up there, too. It would also be a good day to drive to where it isn't raining and buy something. Nothing to buy. I've completely given up on that guy with the Impala. Well, good luck to him.

Okay Happy Thursday everyone.

Old November 4th, 2021, 10:51 AM

Mike, while you were at the Awful House, the rain let up and I ran out to get the 2x4 rafters I need. You missed a wonderful opportunity to stack lumber
Old November 4th, 2021, 11:45 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo you can get me next time. Currently, I'm elbows deep in packing up the kitchen. I've come across things I haven't seen since they were put there 16 years ago. Obviously this stuff is essential.

Not raining here but it mists every now and then. Very dank out. I packed up a lot of books last night and later on Tiger and I are going to take all the packed up stuff over.

So up to this point it might have been coincidence, but whenever it would rain I'd see water in the basement. I thought water was getting in under the door from the patio. Yesterday I noticed water in the basement, but it hadn't started raining. I thought hm, it must be coming from the refrigerator that is sitting right where the water is. Nope, it's dripping down from the ceiling. The floor up above is soaked and the water is collecting and running down the rafters and dripping. The kitchen and the refrigerator are right up above. So I need to pull out the refrigerator and see why it's leaking. It doesn't always do it, so that's rather odd.

It's break time so I'm gonna find some good tunes and then get back to packing.

Old November 4th, 2021, 11:55 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - We have a place here called the Dank Burrito. They have great food. Also, I think you might live in a haunted house?
Old November 4th, 2021, 01:07 PM

Mike, Check the seals around the Fridge door

Same thing going on up here

I'm just moving stuff from one shed to another but found all kinds of things. Like a case of 2 cycle oil,

Do you remember those super glass cleaning clothes? I gave Sandy one and she LOVED it. I opened a box yesterday that had 3 of 4 in it. Reminded me of our friend. Nice memory.

I opened another box that had at least 50 keys in it from long gone Shopping Centers. Thank God and Greyhound, I don't have any now

Old November 4th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Always room for one more

Norm why is my house haunted? I'd be more inclined to think it's giving me the chinese water torture.

Like a goof, I've been putting the date on the boxes I pack. All my stuff is ages old anyway, but I guess I can look at what's in a box and think back to when I put it together. Most of these boxes will be unpacked and put away within a few weeks. Some of the boxes I have in the other room were packed up when I moved from up home. I know those boxes because of the tape I used. It was Delta DASH tape, and Dobbs House tape. It was from when I worked on the ramp.

I stopped packing because I ran out of room to put the boxes. Now to load it all up and take it over. It's felt like a lazy day but I've been busy. Overcast and rainy. Almost time for dinner. Not sure I can top what I had for breakfast. Boy if you want something good get the pork chops at Awful house.

Okay off I go.

Old November 4th, 2021, 04:51 PM

Mike, does the fridge have a ice maker? Neighbor had a leak on the tube to the icemaker and they didn't notice it cuz it was behind fridge, soon the floor buckled up and caused a bunch of water damage. Insurance did cover it though. Is your new place very far from the old place? Do you just move a car load everytime you go back and forth? That was how we did 95% of our move, takes a long time' but way cheaper.
Old November 4th, 2021, 06:37 PM

Mike,

X2 of the ice maker line. I had that happen once