The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2022, 07:01 PM

Mike,

Our vet recommended fat for the dogs skin. As in drain the breakfast sausage or ground beef grease and put it on the dog food. We also give the dogs vitamin E / fish oil capsules (hidden in cream cheese). Dry skin is a common issue here in the desert.
Old December 27th, 2022, 03:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well here we are back at Big D. Seems like I never left. Got up with Tiger around 2 and it was sleeting. Roads were wet but not slick on the way in, glad of that. Predictably things are slow to get going here.

Kenneth that sounds easy. I feel as though I've asked that question before. I've only had dogs for 50 years you'd think I could figure it out. Yesterday when I was visiting Mom, Tiger chewed a hole in his side. Won't leave it alone. I treated it with Neosporin and Vaseline. He still licks it but apparently the Vaseline doesn't taste too good. I'm gonna get him some fish oil. I have coconut oil but he won't eat it.

That Atlanta school thing wasn't too many years ago. I hadn't heard that Beverly Hall had died. Now I feel kinda bad for thinking that her announcement of breast cancer was a fake and to get people to go easy on her. I guess she showed us.

The therapy people say Mom is coming along nicely and could really come home now. As it stands she's supposed to come home Friday. She needs to be able to dress herself, do bathroom stuff, get in and out of bed by herself before she comes home, that's not stuff I can help her with, nor does she want me to. And my sister is going home Friday.

While I'm waiting for people to start working, I'll get my desk back in order. I hate people sitting here when I'm not here, but I guess I can't expect no one to sit here for a whole week. At least I can lock it and no one can get in. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old December 27th, 2022, 03:50 AM

Buddy's skin is dry also. He needs a bath but I haven't given him one as it dries him out more. Funny you mention Tiger licking off the Vaseline, Mike. The other day Buddy got a jar of it and licked some Vaseline out of the jar. Don't know how much but he was acting funny and was having butt troubles. I looked on line and later asked Vet if it was a concern. Vet said not really, she said he will get "the *****" ( that's her exact words- love it!) It just passes thru. I have also heard about adding the meat grease to their food, Ken though I've never done it. I get dry skin myself in the winter.
Old December 27th, 2022, 04:05 AM
Running On Empty

My skin gets really dry in the winter & if I have to work with water (hands/fingers) of course it dries out any more. I've found the best method to manage dry/cracked foot heels is to pack my heels in Vaseline before putting on socks.
Old December 27th, 2022, 04:50 AM

Well I don't have dry skin but I do have a runny nose. I don't know squat about OTC drugs. Does anyone have a favorite or a home remedy
Old December 27th, 2022, 05:05 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - An antihistamine is the preferred OTC drug for a runny nose - they reduce histamine production (cause of the runny nose). The most popular are Claritin & Benadryl. Claritin you take once/day, Benadryl several times/day. Claritin won't make you drowsy while Benadryl often will make you drowsy. You might find other antihistamines as well. Some of the nasal sprays are very effective. Bottom line though is an antihistamine is the preferred method to reduce symptoms of a runny nose.
Old December 27th, 2022, 05:42 AM

Tanks Norm
Old December 27th, 2022, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
The therapy people say Mom is coming along nicely and could really come home now. As it stands she's supposed to come home Friday. She needs to be able to dress herself, do bathroom stuff, get in and out of bed by herself before she comes home, that's not stuff I can help her with, nor does she want me to. And my sister is going home Friday.
Mike - Your description of where your Mom is in her recovery jogged my memory of something I wanted to suggest. If you don't already have them, you might think of buying some stainless steel railings for the bathroom. One strategically placed for her to hold onto as she gets on/off the toilet, and one to hold onto as she gets in/out of the tub. The bathroom is one of the most dangerous places for the elderly to have a fall, especially if they're already hampered by an existing condition. Hate suggesting something to add to your "To Do" list, but you know what they say about "An Ounce of Prevention ". Hope her recovery continues to go well!
Old December 27th, 2022, 07:17 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Absolutely excellent suggestions. There are two other items to consider, as well: (1) They sell bath seats which are very helpful; and (2) bathroom tub mats.
Old December 27th, 2022, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - Absolutely excellent suggestions. There are two other items to consider, as well: (1) They sell bath seats which are very helpful; and (2) bathroom tub mats.
Norm - Excellent additional suggestions on your part too!
Old December 27th, 2022, 07:38 AM
Running On Empty

Hell, as long as I'm at it - why not. We replaced the normal height toilet in Mom's bathroom with a higher toilet which is far, far, far more convenient for the elderly. Additionally, if you aren't into changing out the toilet (best suggestion), they sell raised toilet seats. Just high enough so they aren't having to bend lower than their hip. Makes a huge difference.
Old December 27th, 2022, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Jim - An antihistamine is the preferred OTC drug for a runny nose - they reduce histamine production (cause of the runny nose). The most popular are Claritin & Benadryl. Claritin you take once/day, Benadryl several times/day. Claritin won't make you drowsy while Benadryl often will make you drowsy. You might find other antihistamines as well. Some of the nasal sprays are very effective. Bottom line though is an antihistamine is the preferred method to reduce symptoms of a runny nose.
Jim - I suffer from year round allergies and take an antihistamine daily to lessen my symptoms and keep my runny nose under control. Another popular antihistamine, in addition to the ones Norm mentioned, is Ceterizine-Hydrochloride, known by the Brand Name of Zyrtec, I'm sure you've heard of it. You can buy the generic form of it at Walgreens for half the price of the brand name Zyrtec, it's called Wal-Zyr. Everone's different, but this one works better for me than Benedryl or Claritin. The more you buy (size of bottle) the cheaper it is, a 150-count bottle of the Wal-Zyr comes out to 23-cents per tablet.
https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wa...uId=sku6180468

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 27th, 2022 at 08:14 AM.
Old December 27th, 2022, 07:50 AM

Norm - Another excellent suggestion on raising the height of the toilet seat by one of the two methods!
Old December 27th, 2022, 07:56 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - If you do elect to put a seat in the shower, install a Bathroom Spray/Bathroom Sink Hose Attachment.
Old December 27th, 2022, 08:18 AM

Jim - I incorrectly stated the Wal-Zyr antihistamine could be found at Walmart, it's not, it's at Walgreens.
I have corrected it in my post above.

It can however be found at Walmart too, under the name of Equate Allergy Relief, even cheaper at about 11-cents per tablet.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Al...ount/641119263

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; December 27th, 2022 at 08:39 AM.
Old December 27th, 2022, 09:24 AM

Chris Tanks also Well The Super Model just tested positive for the virus. I still jes have a runny nose and don't plan on driving back to CVS for another test until I feel like dog doo. Jes made a BIG pot of chicken and rice soup. It always worked for my mothers maybe it will work for me. I guess we both are gonna be quarantine fer a spell . I wonder if my dogs can get it. I hope not
Old December 27th, 2022, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris Tanks also Well The Super Model just tested positive for the virus. I still jes have a runny nose and don't plan on driving back to CVS for another test until I feel like dog doo. Jes made a BIG pot of chicken and rice soup. It always worked for my mothers maybe it will work for me. I guess we both are gonna be quarantine fer a spell . I wonder if my dogs can get it. I hope not
Jim - Get tested again ASAP, and if positive contact your doctor and get one of the new anti-viral drugs that greatly reduce the chance of a serious outcome. The Supermodel should get it too now that she's positive.
Old December 27th, 2022, 09:41 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks guys for the suggestions for the bathroom. Here is a current inventory. I installed the raised height toilet years ago. Don't need to be elderly to appreciate the added height. The bathroom has a walk-in shower and Mom has a shower chair and the hand held sprayer. She also has the suction cup handles that work surprisingly well, but the therapist had a stroke when she heard she used them. Now Mom is on a crusade to get me to install the stainless bars. I don't see these bars going in over the existing tile, and I'm pretty sure I can't swing a shower remodel. We'll see. The rehab place is sending us a raised toilet seat (assembly?) that adjusts and has handles on the side to steady and to help stand up.

Jamesbo poor Supermodel. Does she feel like dog doo? I'd get it weekly if you'd make me soup.

Well I just passed the half way point with the number of wheels I need. Tough to make your goal when everyone leaves early for lunch and comes back late. Eh, I'm not signing anyone's paycheck. Probably all the wheels are frozen on the highway anyways.

Is Eleanor Rigby considered classical music since it's a string band? Maybe if they all wore tuxedo's.

Old December 27th, 2022, 10:55 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Don't be intimidated mounting one, two or several SS bars over your tile. I've done it hundreds of times. Use a masonry bit - best to use several - they're inexpensive. Create a small pilot hole and work your way up to the size you need. Pretty simple - you won't crack any tiles. I'll see if I might get you a picture of a couple of mine.
Old December 27th, 2022, 11:02 AM
Running On Empty

Several pictures of a couple towel racks in my shower. Be sure to use a masonry bit and create a nice pilot hole - drill speed should be slow not much force.

One potato...

....two potato...

....three potato, more...

Old December 27th, 2022, 11:12 AM
Running On Empty

I should mention, depending on what's behind the wall and type wall the tile is mounted to, you'll need wall anchors to provide structural support for the SS bars. No biggie, just get correct size to accommodate whatever the SS bars require. There may be a chance you'll get lucky and have a 2"x4" stud, but never count on it or plan to accommodate placement where a 2"x4" stud is located. A good place would be where you could mount a SS bar running vertically then you could secure a SS bar vertically up the wall. Numerous options.

Wall anchors...
https://www.google.com/search?q=dryw...&bih=963&dpr=1
Old December 27th, 2022, 11:17 AM
Running On Empty

Depending on type of shower surround you have, you can also mount one or two SS bars directly onto/into the shower surround (esp. if it's a metal/glass type surround), as well. Many options. Wish I were closer to you - I'd have them mounted this evening for you.
Old December 27th, 2022, 01:45 PM
Running On Empty

Tad chilly again today, not so bad, but modestly chilly. Got a lot of caulking (wet fingers) and painting done. Tee time tomorrow @ 10:16am.
Old December 27th, 2022, 02:22 PM

Well as of this afternoon I'm still negative This is sum weird $hit
Old December 27th, 2022, 02:32 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Word of caution regarding the antivirals. They should not be taken if pregnant.
Old December 27th, 2022, 02:38 PM
Running On Empty

Yes, canines can get SARS-CoV-2. I'm not aware of any fatalities w/in canines; but, they can get it and it's very, very mild.

Pets infected with this virus may or may not get sick. Of the pets that have gotten sick, most only had mild illness and fully recovered. Serious illness in pets is extremely rare. Pets that do have symptoms usually have mild illness that you can take care of at home.
SOURCE: CDC https://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/covid-19/pets.html
Old December 27th, 2022, 02:39 PM

No problem unless you re counting of the second immaculate conception. When Mama don't feel good nobody does
Old December 27th, 2022, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

I figured you'd blow chunks out your nose when you read my comment. I couldn't help myself.
Old December 27th, 2022, 04:04 PM

When Mama don't feel good nobody does
Truer words were never spoken!
Old December 28th, 2022, 05:31 AM

Chris/Norm Does the Claritn have to build up in your system to work. 2 days and nothing so far
Old December 28th, 2022, 05:53 AM

Chris/Norm Does the Claritn have to build up in your system to work. 2 days and nothing so far
Jim - I will leave the definitive answer to Norm, but I would think you should start seeing some relief in 4 to 8-hours. However, I do believe that if the cause of your symptoms is still around, you will achieve the best results by continuing to take the maximum dose of whatever antihistamine you are using. I will say this, different antihistines work better or worse for different people. Remember I said Benedryl and Claritan don't work nearly as well for me as Zyrtec (in my case I use the generic Zyrtec).
Old December 28th, 2022, 06:24 AM

Chris so what did you do Keep trying different ones until one works
Old December 28th, 2022, 06:41 AM

Chris so what did you do Keep trying different ones until one works
Jim - Essentially, yes! I have had bad allergy problems (year round) my whole life, so it's been a long trial and error process. A couple of the drugs we've mentioned like Claritan and Zyrtec are relatively newer compared to Benedryl. When a new promising antihistamine would come out, I would try it, especially if my doctor suggested it.
Old December 28th, 2022, 07:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Gonna be another nice one. I might get up on the roof this afternoon and blow off all the pine needles.

Jamesbo I'm not a doctor, but I did see one on TV, but I would imagine if you've been in close proximity of the Supermodel and you still don't have the croup, then the Supermodel doesn't have it, either, and she got a false reading on her test. I just heard on the radio that you shouldn't use test kits from the store because they are not accurate and expired, and prone to give a false reading. I suppose that could be a false negative as well. So who the hell knows. But I hope you both feel better soon.

Norm I wouldn't be comfortable using anchors for those bars and not structure. Which means I'd be taking down the tile and installing the bars on studs, and then rebuilding the shower. Not sure I'm up for all that. Mom has been very good about not hanging off the suction handles but with a "hard" mounted bar she'd hang off it like a monkey. I wouldn't want it to fail and she fall in the shower. We may need to be a little creative to get the same effect. She may never give up her shower chair which would lessen the need a little bit.

My wall guy has reminded me that I need to make a trip to Pennsylvania to retrieve a VW my friend has and says I can have. That's 24 hours round trip, not easy to plan that these days. Even though the car is free, it would be prohibitively expensive to have it shipped. I wish I could find someone up that way that would deliver it to even the vicinity of the deep south.

Tiger has been doing okay with that hot spot. I keep putting Vaseline on it, and Neosporin once a day. I'm gonna get some fish oil next time I'm at the store. I had roast beef for dinner last night, and I put some of the broth on his food. That might help a little.

Hope everyone has a good day. Things are much better at work today, we're further ahead and things are going smoother. Also the ice melted and everyone showed up.

Old December 28th, 2022, 07:10 AM

Mike, Richard [Gearhead78] is going to be up that way. check with him. Hes a super nice guy https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...6/#post1471868
Old December 28th, 2022, 08:58 AM

Regarding antihistamines, the sister-in-law nurse said rotating which one you use every 30 days helps with effectiveness. I suppose the body becomes accustomed to the drug after a while and the new / different one resets things. I haven't tried that to verify.
Old December 28th, 2022, 09:25 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I saw where Richard is going to be over this way. He's deadheading going north to Michigan and then has a load back west. I thought of him first.

Old December 28th, 2022, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Regarding antihistamines, the sister-in-law nurse said rotating which one you use every 30 days helps with effectiveness. I suppose the body becomes accustomed to the drug after a while and the new / different one resets things. I haven't tried that to verify.
Kenneth - Both my daughters have their BSN's, and I've heard them say the same thing, as well as from my Primary Doctor. However, that strategy doesn't work for me. I tried to rotate from Zyrtec to Claritin, but the Claritin just didn't do the job for me.
Old December 28th, 2022, 11:45 AM

I'm similar regarding Claritin. I had a discussion with a pharmacist a few years ago and she recommended Zyrtec as her experience was more people had good results with it vs. the Claritin.
Old December 28th, 2022, 01:44 PM

Good afternoon guys,

Didn't post much yesterday, because it was the nightmare after Christmas. It was return day, the majority of which were items that should have been returned long ago that didn’t work as intended as part of my wife's bathroom remodeling. Two items went back to Home Depot, about 8 item's to the UPS store (line was out the door), and two back to Walmart. Of course since we were at Walmart, we had to shop. What I wasn't counting on was my wife wanting to do after Christmas clearance shopping for next Christmas. Oh the horror!

It was really nice here today, 55° and sunny, so I took the opportunity to pull the 4-4-2 and motorcycles out and bring all of them up to operating temp for about 10-minutes. I try to do this at least once a month during the winter if I can get a break in the weather and there's no snow in the driveway.

Hope everyone had a great day!