The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2019, 07:53 PM
Running On Empty

Old December 28th, 2019, 10:11 PM

Sweet!
Old December 29th, 2019, 04:04 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock down here

Mike, Next time ya go to he Aweful House [ most likely today] order sum grits and put 2 pats on butter in it, a little salt and chop up 2 sausage paddies. If ya still don't like grits, I'm afraid I can't be of any help. But I'll guarantee Tiger will love them Did you ever try the NASSAU GRITS at the Coffee cup in Pensacola?

Norm, What's with the Schlitz bucket? A long time ago, there was a place in Buckhead named the Great Southeast music hall that served Budweiser in metal buckets. I still have a few [more like 10] Many of the now famous bands played there

Have a great day Olds friends
Old December 29th, 2019, 07:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got the trailer back and been to Awful house. The day is now mine. Spitting rain here, and everything outside is a mess. So it's inside stuff today.

Jamesbo we only went to that place the one time. Anything that has grits in the name I'm not going to try. But the Nassau part sounds good. Speaking of Tiger, the chef at Awful house lost track of his bacon orders and made too much, so he gave me some for Tiger. I don't think he liked it as much as the hamburger.

I'll have to see you guys' pictures later. My jetpack that cheats me on service has run out of "fast" internet a week early. Now any time a picture comes up it's fuzzy and takes forever to clear up. I was so glad to get away from my cable company, but I'm not sure this is so much better.

Okay gonna go find something to do. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old December 29th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Mike, I feel the same way about Cream of wheat, I used to feel the same way about maple syrup [I was reared with Blue ribbon cane syrup] but now I like Maple Ok
Old December 29th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

James - I have a cousin whose husband works for a beer distributor. When they visit he often brings me various beer sundries, the Schlitz bucket is one of them.

You guys won't believe this (maybe you will). I cannot find one of my LCA bushings. I am losing my F'ing mind here!
Old December 29th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

Oh yeah - 42/41
Old December 29th, 2019, 02:29 PM

I don't know what made me think of this [except cheap beer] But I used to love the Saturday afternoon game of the week With Dizzy Dean and Peewee Reese

Old December 29th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Running On Empty

James - No doubt that Falstaff is an original prior to Pabst purchasing Falstaff considering Dizzy Dean is featured. I've drank Falstaff, not a bad beer especially when it's absolutely ice cold and it's 100*F in the shade. Just a quick story. So, yeah - that enormous family on my Mom's side (14 kids) - I have 57 first cousins on that side of the family alone. Most of them dairy/swine farmers in Wisconsin. I $HIT you not, on any given day, you could walk into any barn on any of my Uncle's farms and find a minimum of 15-20 empty (24 bottle returnable) cases of Holiday, Falstaff and/or Blatz beer (that might be in just one barn alone - each farm had about dozen buildings). My Uncle's drank an A$$LOAD of beer.
Old December 30th, 2019, 03:52 AM

Got an early funeral, then off to smack whitey

Norm, Glad your uncle had sum dud suds handy, Farming makes ya thirsty

Old December 30th, 2019, 05:01 AM
Running On Empty

James - Hit it well. The far eastern edge of that front line which passed by you is now meandering closer to the coast. Temperatures are nice, raining now, looks like there might be a window of opportunity to get in 18 possibly.

I have been installing bushings & ball joints w/ no issues except for the fact I still cannot find one of the LCA lower bushings - just my luck. I've been pulling my hair out in disbelief. I emptied & examined the contents of all the trash containers - nothing. It's not in the refrigerator, it's not in my socks drawer, it's not in a kitchen cabinet, it's not in my truck, it's not in the car, it's not laying in the yard. I'm done losing my mind. I'm ordering another single set of LCA bushings before I jump off a bridge. This is stupid.
Old December 30th, 2019, 05:24 AM

Norm, If you're like me, You'll find it right before the new one arrives
Old December 30th, 2019, 01:05 PM

Consistently inconsistent 44/38
Old December 30th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

43/41 - I was striking the ball really well today; although, my score does not reflect this.

James - I am exactly like you. That lost bushing will appear as the new one arrives.
Old December 30th, 2019, 02:45 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good start to the week, aside from the main asshat being "in charge." He can tell me anything he wants it will go in one ear and out the other. The lead is supposed to be back tomorrow. Hope he brings donuts.

Norm I used to have a bench vise just like that on my workbench up home. It was my Dad's and way older than me, and it was on the workbench forever. When he died my Mom just sold a bunch of his stuff, including that vise. Her reasoning, oh you don't use that. Had a huge garage sale and didn't give a flying phuque what I had to say. The worst? We had a DeWalt radial arm saw that was from the 30s. Big sucker. Sounded like a 747 when the blade spooled up. I cut the hell out of stuff and here comes Mom puts an ad in the newspaper. No, really Mom, I have to take exception. Oh you don't use that. Then what's all the sawdust from? She put it in for $350. Remember this was early 80s. Here comes this Mexican guy doesn't even speak English. Takes it away for 300. I wouldn't help load it. I didn't talk to her for days. Thirty Six years later I still get a little twitch when I think about it. And that was just the tip of the iceberg. I won't go on.

After work I went out and finished off the dock. I got tired and stopped deconstructing and started hammering. It's all gone, save for a pile of rubble in the yard. I went to get mortar mix and tomorrow after work I'll start some blocking with blocks I already have. Home Depot is open New Years Day so I can continue my work and not have to stock up on things I might not get to use.

Time to start winding down for the evening. Last day of the year and decade is upon us. Let's make the most of it, at least until the neighbors start shooting their guns into the air. Good night everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; December 30th, 2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old December 30th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Running On Empty

I have some 12Ga shotgun shells reaching the end of their shelf life. It happens nearly this same time each year. Coincidence? Such a hassle and a waste of my time taking them to my local police station for disposal when in fact I can clearly see a ten acre empty parcel of agricultural land buttressed up right against my property line.
Old December 30th, 2019, 06:58 PM
Running On Empty

Early bird tee time tomorrow morning - 7:45am.

As of today I have played 169 games of GOLF in 2019. High: 91 Low: 72 Avg: 82.7

That's roughly one game every other day.
Old December 30th, 2019, 10:05 PM

Well, I decided to take the scenic way home from work tonight, It was fun. Started snowing and blowing earlier in the evening and the temps were right at about freezing 31°, which made it a semi snow, semi slush type of accumulation. Did I mention, that it was dark, and blowing and a two lane road which goes right near the shoreline of Lake Michigan in places? I'll tell ya what, I don't blink one bit while driving in Michigan's finest. I routinely drove to the Detroit auto show in January for over three decades, 200 miles one way, and ran into all kinds of crappy winter weather, but tonight I clinched on the bottom a couple of times. Winding along White Lake, Lake Michigan, and Muskegon Lake with damn near zero visibility, and sliding all the way. The automatic vehicle stabilization kicked in a few times, and I never went over 35 mph. One part, at the Duck lake Channel, where you cross over a small bridge with the small lake on one side and Lake Michigan on the other was a trip. Lake Michigan is now only feet from the road due to very high water levels in the Great Lakes. At night, Lake Michigan is a very large black void that stretches into the night. So, I know that there is a guard rail along there somewhere, and the BIG lake just beyond...splash, I'm driving through water, hmm, it ain't that warm. Did I mention that I can't see ****? Well, It's a little wave action going over the road, making a mess of things. Only lasted another 100' until the road turned inland a bit to put land and homes between me and the dang big body of water. That was the hairiest part of it, but still some clenching along the way. I watched later when I was at a stop light as some goober was turning onto business 31 from an adjoining street and slapped the curb hard as he fish-tailed in front of me. His rear end geometry on the chevy is certainly screwed up. He just keep flying along as if it was nothing. Might have been alcohol influenced.
Old December 31st, 2019, 02:29 AM

Chili

Headed to the big city to the dentist

Norm, did ya check your golf bag for the bushing?

Wow, I don;t keep records of my golf games like you do but I would guess ya played about twice as often as I do

Dan, I believe I'd find another route. For sum reason, I've seen alot of youtube videos of Lambo owners who think they own an Amphicar. and drive them into lakes

Old December 31st, 2019, 03:01 AM
Running On Empty

James - Did I check my golf bag? No, I have not - yet! But, you bring up a good point. I often set things on the top of my golf bag to remember to put them away, or something which needs to be addressed. I do this because my golf bag is in the man-cave and it's generally one of those items I use on a near daily basis so I'm keen to recall having to attend to this item. It is very possible that damn bushing was laying on something or just the top of the bag and slipped down into a shaft hole. And, to top this off, just recently I have had an issue w/ my clubs getting stuck in the bag and not getting all the way down the shaft holes - two in particular. Wouldn't that be the $HITS if it's fallen into the bag. OMG

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 31st, 2019 at 03:12 AM.
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:12 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - The last time I took the Ludington-Manitowoc ferry (~6 years ago) I cruised along that road on my Indian (x3 times). It was just after about 6pm or so and I was planning to take the ferry the following morning. So, I cruised over to that scenic road from #31 and road into Ludington to reacquaint myself with the location of the ferry entrance & grab a hotel. No local hotels available and I road back down to Muskegon to grab a hotel for the night & some dinner then the following morning road back to Ludington early to catch the ferry to Manitowoc. Very pretty nice road @ 75*F w/ clear skies.
Old December 31st, 2019, 03:18 AM
Running On Empty

James - BTW, the only reason I know those stats is because I enter my scores into GHIN. It's interesting because the GHIN mobile app will provide one set of stats which is different than the other type of stats available on the desktop version of GHIN. I estimate I walked probably 155 eighteen hole rounds (out of what today will be 170 rounds). That's about 950 miles of walking @ ~6 miles/round.
Old December 31st, 2019, 04:13 AM
Running On Empty

James - No bushing but good suggestion which was not without merit. I found a bottle of water had fallen to the bottom of one of the shaft holes - so, that was a good find.
Old December 31st, 2019, 06:30 AM

Norm, I haveta ax, How many aces have you had on par 3's

Me? I'm still waiting my turn

I try to remember the great shots and forget the duffs. I canned one from the sand the other day on 17. It's permanent etched in my brain
Old December 31st, 2019, 10:06 AM
Running On Empty

I am waiting my turn, as well. I seem to play w/ people who have never had one - instead, they have two or three (to my none).

42/41 Disheartening yesterday & today because I'm really beginning to make some crisp & clean shots. Argh.
Old December 31st, 2019, 10:21 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out, bright sunshine but cold. Good weather for working in the yard, though, which I'll be doing directly.

Finished up work right at lunch and then got out. Saw some people at Awful house I don't usually get to see, since I'm not there at noon on a Tuesday ever. They had the AC on, couldn't tell you why.

Dan that might be a better route to take in the summer. When I started reading I thought you were serious that it was a nice ride. I sure don't miss that weather but lived through it a good long time.

Well best get to work. Doesn't look like the water is coming up yet but they did say they wouldn't be keeping the level down so it will just fill slowly. I'll get done what I can.

Okay off to it.

Old December 31st, 2019, 10:25 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Sounds like you're making some great progress - good on you.
Old December 31st, 2019, 10:40 AM

Mike, I went to the dentist early to avoid the Atlanta rush hour [which starts at 5:00 a.m. and ends at 4:00 p.m. just in time for the afternooon rush hour[s]

Anywho, I got a BIG bowl of grits with chopped sausage swimming in butter at the Aweful House on Piedmont in Buckhead, I thought about cha
Old December 31st, 2019, 11:06 AM

Guys, that isn't my normal commuting route, I thought that I would take it to wind down a bit and check out christmas lights on my way home. It is a great scenic ride in fair weather and I have taken my camera up that way to take pics around the Duck Lake channel and Lake Michigan shoreline. It is a nice route to drive on in the summer, and I have driven just about every car that I have owned on that road. Norm, by any chance were you talking on your cell while that bushing was in your hand? You may have set it down while talking without even thinking about it.
Old December 31st, 2019, 05:05 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - You are exactly spot-on. I have no idea if I was on the phone or what I was doing when I lost it, but like you said, I'm pretty sure I set it down somewhere w/o even thinking about it - e.g. to move something, looking for something else, on the phone, etc. Like James suggested it will show up when the new one arrives - which should be this Th or F.

Mike - Did you throw any mud at those blocks today or you spend the day in the yard looking for nuts?
Old December 31st, 2019, 05:53 PM
Always room for one more

I went through two bags of mortar this afternoon laying [I don't know how many] blocks. The part that I'm doing looks like $hit but most of it will be covered by the water, and I'm going to build a deck on top of the wall so the rest of it will be covered. Tomorrow I'm going to get some new blocks and continue. I should be at a good place when the water comes back up.

Tonight is boring for New Years Eve even for me. I'm not doing anything. I thought I'd put in a movie but there are so many fireworks and gunshots it would be distracting to watch. Guess I'll keep looking at car ads on the internet.

People sure do spend a lot of money on noise makers this time of year.

Old January 1st, 2020, 03:23 AM

Happy New Year Olds friends

The "Roaring 20's start again
I avoid the noise by coming to bed with the chickens [and getting up with them]

Starting to cook my black eyed peas [with salt pork] Turnip greens [with minced turnip root and vinegar] and gonna fry me up sum hot water corn bread
Mike, Ithink you;d like fried corn bread

Mike, Be sire to clean the joints [neatness counts
Old January 1st, 2020, 03:51 AM
Running On Empty

Happy New Year

James - That's some real Southern cook'n right there - oh baby, oh baby
Old January 1st, 2020, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Happy New Year

James - That's some real Southern cook'n right there - oh baby, oh baby
Thanks, I've been trying to convert Mike [from the dark side] but it's a uphill battle. He does like John's BBQ poke
Old January 1st, 2020, 07:47 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone Happy New Year.

Jamesbo I'd eat pretty much anything if it were fried. I went to the Paula Deen restaurant in Savannah and had hoe cakes. Is that the same as fried corn bread?

Pretty out but cold. Gonna hit the Home Depot in a minute to get block and get started. My work would probably make a union block man pass out, but I don't care what it looks like as long as it stays together long enough to fill with concrete. I do clean up the joints and have been going around to other parts of the wall tucking little places here and there.

Best get at it. Have to end early this afternoon to get ready for work tomorrow. I could get used to this day off in the middle of the week bit. I remember when the banks would be closed on Wednesday. See they knew what was going on. It was probably bank executive golf day.

Have a good New Years Hump Day everyone.

Old January 1st, 2020, 07:50 AM

Mike, Yep very similar
Old January 1st, 2020, 10:28 AM
Running On Empty

Played 18 this morning - got off the 1st tee @ 8:15am. Chilly & windy but sunny & pleasant.
Our club provides a free brunch New Years Day for members and guests - Board of Directors are the servers - buffet style.
Menu: Scrambled eggs, bacon, link sausage, salt pork on the side, black-eyed peas, biscuits & gravy & yep - you guessed it - Turnip greens w/ minced turnip root and vinegar, delicious.

Happy New Year
Old January 2nd, 2020, 04:11 AM

Headed norte early today

Norm, Glad ya got fed after golf

Mike, I would think all of this rain would raise the lake level

Have a great 2020 Olds friends
Old January 2nd, 2020, 12:27 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Dismal day out. Yes the rain that we're getting today and tomorrow will bring the lake up quite a bit. I'm at a point now I can do some things with the water up and if I don't get anything else done I've done a lot anyway.

Work was good, we were short a guy signing so most of us had to step it up. The head ****-knocker arbitrarily stops working and says he's done enough work, but then yells out how many more we need. Two of us signed until the end and two of us didn't, and wouldn't you know it the two of us who ended had more than the others. But they're the ones who are indispensable.

Inside stuff this afternoon. That's okay. But I'm wishing I would have brought up more firewood yesterday. Maybe I've got some furniture around I'm not using...

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old January 3rd, 2020, 03:30 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Interesting you were describing your drive along the lake last week w/ the high water level in the lake. You probably heard about the two teenagers in Holland who were swept away ~11:30pm last night when they were sitting along the edge of the lake when a wave took them both into the frigid waters. The young man managed to climb out and survive the ordeal, but the young girl is still missing. I'm not sure anyone could survive very long in those cold water temperatures. Very sad, indeed.