The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Running On Empty

Front 42, Back 43 - A shame because I was striking the ball very well. My 'towards' were off.
Old April 27th, 2019, 07:12 PM
Always room for one more

Nothing like that Norm. V6 5 speed convertible 02. A girl's car. Just something that would be fun to drive to work and not worry about it getting dinged up in the parking lot. I bought an 03 new and today I remembered that I thought way back then even that it just wasn't as comfortable to sit in as it needed to be. And I wasn't as big then as I am now. So today I thought nah, this isn't going to be a terrific car to drive a lot in. Plus it wasn't worth what they were asking and I probably could have lowballed the hell out of him but it had a couple issues I didn't want to deal with. So I saved myself 2500 bucks. I'll put that towards an Imperial.

Oh so I bought these magnetic lights to use on my trailer. You might remember that two sets of regular lights just wouldn't work so I got these magnetic ones and got them placed and they worked great. This was yesterday afternoon. Today I drag the trailer to go look at this car and I get back right at dark. I could see the reflection of the turn signal but not the running light. Turns out that's because they don't have a running light. They are turn/brake only! Geez I just can't win with this thing. At least that tells me I didn't have a good ground before.
Old April 27th, 2019, 09:17 PM
Oh no, not again...

Crappy day here, it snowed this morning, - a lot. I was driving to breakfast this morning and it was a total white-out. Couldn't even see the car in front, and the traffic lights were also packing up, could see what was green or red. Made it there ok, and then afterwards went to the market, and bought a junk 1833 verge-fusee watch off of one of the watch club members, ostensibly for scrap. Afterwards, the boy and I went to a swap meet in Stony Plain, by then the roads had cleared up where traveling wasn't an issue. There wasn't much there, I did manage to pick up a couple of sales brochures, one for 1962 Olds, and the other for a 59 T-Bird. I know where there's a nice 59 T-Bird that just needs an engine job, the only thing I don't know is whether I fit in those cars. Ford did stupid things with driver's positions and steering wheels in those days.

So, just came home, and ended up rebuilding the clunker watch and surprisingly enough, got it running. For how long, well, yeah, I have no idea. It's got a lousy balance, it only runs face-up, but hey, it runs and it dates back to 1833. It's English made by a guy named Halliday, who worked from 1830 until 1843. So instead of parting this thing out, I cleaned it up and got it working. Not bad for a $50 investment, it's worth 6 or 7 times that now. That is of course, if I can find anyone who'd want it, which is always the problem. These old Fusees are too fragile to carry around on a daily basis, they're all pretty much museum pieces now. So the guy who'd get excited about something like this would probably know something about them, and seeing as how this one is flawed, I'd have to let it go cheaper than "book". Story of my life, everything I have is usually worth less than "book", there's always something wrong with it. I suppose that's acceptable after almost 190 years. I have about 20 of them and only 3 are in a condition where I'd use them daily, but the more I learn about how these things work, the more they scare me. So they sit. Any watch that is still a chain drive is too finicky and not very accurate anyway.

So anyway, here it is...

It's actually holding time, - that's a surprise.

Anyway; back to reading the Olds propaganda in the sales brochure. Pretty neat stuff.

Have a great weekend!
Old April 28th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Are you freakin kidding me??? It's -7 here this morning Yeah, gotta love the Great White North - Land of the popsicles.

Marc - I heard that some parts of Edmonton and surroundings got hammered yesterday morning. We got the lightest skiff of snow and that was it. Gone after 45 minutes. Then the Chicago effect....Nice work on the watch. I'll have to look around and see if I can find anything I own that's 190 years old. Wait, I don't.... But I do have some Curling Bonspiel prizes (coffee/tea set) that were won by my Grandfather back in the early 1900's. I spose I should polish them once in a while as they're silver but honestly the patina makes them look even older. Besides, I don't have any silver polish. I doubt I cold use my car polisher on them either

Mike - Just a thought about those lights. What if you put a double filament bulb in? That should give you running and brake/signal lights? I'm not sure what a magnetic light is so I'm just guessing about what you have.

Time for me to catch up with the Semi Finals at the GSOC Champions Cup from last night. I had to PVR it because it would take me up waaaay past my bedtime. My 2 favorite teams (Bottcher & Edin) are in the mix to advance to the finals. That would be the game to watch. But I think Edin has a handicap this time as Oskar Eriksson was away playing in the World Mixed Doubles with Anna Hasselborg; which they won. Filling in for him is Jim Cotter, a good curler but always in the wanna be great ranking. So much as I would love to see Niklas on the Gold medal podium, I'm giving my nod to Brenden. Of course this could all be moot in 2 hours....
Old April 28th, 2019, 07:05 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Man it's beautiful out. No rain for the week so far, I approve.

Allan instead of the lights being permanently mounted on the trailer, they are magnetic and they just stick on the back. They still have the harness that runs up to the plug on the back of the truck. They are actually for putting on a car that is being towed on a dolly. You magnet them to the trunk of the car that way your towed load has lights. The lights ground through the magnets instead of bolts holding them to the trailer.

Got a few little things to tidy up then the rest of the day is free. Early to bed tonight. Lots of playtime with Tiger in between. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old April 28th, 2019, 10:02 AM

Morning Gentleman,good to hear every 1 has been well behaved.
Marc, nice watch. Is it an Elgin? I have an Elgin pocket watch from early 1900's, was my grandfathers when he worked for CPR. It still works which is awesome!!!
Allan and Marc, we have some crappy weather here too. Tried to snow but turned to rain, thank god.
Was a busy Friday and Saturday for me, Did some minor repair work 100+ year old house. Patch some holes in a wall for a friend and fix an old door jamb that was broken. Had to make a new door jamb out of fir 2x10,turned out well.
Almost completed one head. Another few hours and that be done.
Ukrainian Tire has a good sale on for the next few days. Need a new few toys, will have to hit it up.
Found out yesterday night my neighbour passed away, was an old tractor mechanic for New Holland. Was always a nice chat with him, but figured something wasn't right. Would alway's come around with his putt putt (scooter) when I was in the back yard
and we would chat. Had knowledge that was forsure. Will miss Louis!!

Have a great morning boys!!!!
Old April 28th, 2019, 12:02 PM

Thanks again Norm, My web guy addeed Google reCaptcha v3 [whatever that is] to my site

Nice round, May I please have 8 strokes for tomorrow's game
Old April 28th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Running On Empty

39 Front, 41 Back

I forgot reCaptcha was purchased by Google. That should do the trick for you, Jim.
Old April 28th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Another season of curling is in the books. Called the games with Edin/Koe and Bottcher/Mouat. Team Sweden (Edin) really needed Oskar to be there; it's not the same without him. The battle for all the marbles between Koe and Bottcher was a rematch of the Brier; this time the better team wasn't Koe. A 6-5 win in the extra end. Congratulations to the winner of the GSOC Champions Cup this year Brenden Bottcher !!

Kyle - Yeah, it's been crappy here too. This afternoon ma nature decided to send a few flakes our way again just as a reminder that she can. Sometimes I think she's being a real be-atch. My condolences for the loss of your friend Louis. I don't think that watch of Marc's is an Elgin - it's from 1833 and Elgin wasn't producing to the public till 1867.

Jim - I foresee a 46/43 in yer future. I ya wants ta buy 8 strokes I kin make it 50/47 for ya.

Mike - If those lights just plug into the wiring harness from your car/truck why wouldn't they have running lights? I googled them and from what I can see they should.

I don't really want to grill this afternoon but the missus wants steak for dinner. Not much fun when it's only 35° outside.
Old April 28th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Running On Empty

I was born in Chicago & raised in Elgin, IL (from the time I was seven years old). My Mom took a couple part-time jobs (over the years) in the Elgin Watch Factory during the holidays to raise extra cash for Mom & Dad during Christmas holidays (gifts & stuff). Me and some friends would sneak onto the grounds sometimes - past the gates & guards - just to fool around. When they knew they were going to demolish all the buildings, the Watch Factory had this humongous garage sale - many items free, some you had to buy. Mom & a couple of her girlfriends managed to scab several of the extremely large dark green drapes from the factory floor - for free. The drapes were like 50' tall x 15' wide (two each per set of windows which ran from the floor to the top of the highest set of windows). Gigantic drapes. I was inside the building a couple times growing up. I marveled at the way they opened those windows way up at the top (again, they were like 40' to 50' up and there were about five sets of windows in a row - from the bottom to the top). Each set of windows had this huge long steel pole attached to them you could crank to open/close the windows. The entire Watch Factory landscape was really something else with all of its numerous types of buildings - I was only ever in two of them - the factory floor and one of the office buildings. Pretty cool old place. Of course, we all had an Elgin watch at some time in our lives. Mom & her girlfriends took the ginormous drapes, cut them up into sections/pieces, embroidered some, hemmed them all and made dining table covers, dining table place mats, dinner wear napkins and stuff. I still have about a dozen dinner wear napkins. Memories.
Old April 28th, 2019, 03:17 PM

Allan I want Norm to give me strokes not buy, but I would like to buy a few Mulligans
Old April 28th, 2019, 04:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Allan I want Norm to give me strokes
Ok you just know how easy a setup that is doncha? Lucky fer you I has respect fer my elders...

I would like to buy a few Mulligans
Wy dat is right sportin ov ya Jim!! Wheel be rite over
Old April 28th, 2019, 05:21 PM

Mike, I've got a set of those magnetic lights I bought many years ago. They have running lights and stop/turn signal lights. Funny you should mention them, I haven't used them in 10 years I'll bet but just used 'em the other day on a trailer, they still work. Maybe you have another problem with the wiring??
Boy it sure has been nice here finally, supposed to rain tomorrow and we actually need it- very dry and dusty.
Old April 28th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Always room for one more

I'm beginning to think the lights are defective. They have a full harness and plug for stop-turn-running. I'll have to investigate further but I didn't have the chance this afternoon. I don't need the trailer again for awhile so there's no rush.

Norm good to know another Chicagoan. At least that's what I tell people I am. I was born in Moline(Rock Island actually my folks lived in Moline) and grew up in Park Forest. Spent plenty of time in the city. Many nights during the summers my friends and I would drive downtown in my convertible and just drive around, then at midnight go out to Glendale Heights to have White Castle. Then drive all the way back to the south side, we'd get home at 2 or 3. Fun times.

I was talking to my neighbor's son this afternoon. They just got back from a trip to Canada, they went to see Lake Louise. He said he was surprised that the entire place was iced over, he wanted to go canoeing on the lake. I said, I know people up that way and it was -7 this morning. He just rolled his eyes. He said they are going to plan to go back some time when it's warmer. Speaking of Lake Louise, I've got this huge picture that hung in my grandparents' basement for years. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of the picture and post it up. I see now there is a big hotel right in the middle of the mountain view, that's too bad. I'd love to go up there some time and visit my picture in person. But in the summer.

So I'm waiting for a friend of mine to call so we can discuss going up and getting his Mom's car. She died several months ago and for reasons unknown to me her car ended up at the Pittsburgh airport. Big long half of the details story later he has to coordinate with his sister to get the car out, and then he wants me to co-drive with him towing it down here to his place. I think I'll just go to bed and if he calls then I'll wake up and talk to him. If he doesn't call that's even better. I'm already past the 5 hours of sleep mark, and working on 4 1/2. Overtime might have to be put on hold for tomorrow, we'll see.

Kyle I'm sorry about your neighbor. It sucks to lose friends that's for sure.

Well gonna hit the sack, and see what that gets me. Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend and is ready to start the new week. Good night.
Old April 28th, 2019, 08:44 PM

Marc, cool scroll work in that watch. Well, as Greg knows, the snow went south of us, and hit Kzoo and parts around S.W. Michigan. It rained last night, but was sunny today, in the low 50's. Rain for most of the week coming up. Doc visit in the A.M. I need a couple of warm days to take off to get some things done. Painting the bathroom ceiling, and pulling the interior out of the '69 to photograph.
Old April 29th, 2019, 01:55 AM

mawn'in

Got this one stuck in my head permanently this mawn'in

Off to go smack whitey

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 29th, 2019, 02:25 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I'll give you four strokes. My Tee time is 11:00am.
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:15 AM

I'll take them, Mine's a 8:30

Kinda like "Fantasy Golf"
Old April 29th, 2019, 06:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Brisk start to the day. There's a very thin layer of snow overnight that will be gone right away and temps continue to be below average. Definitely not the kind of day most people would go out and whack whitey. I bet the frost won't be off the temp greens till around 10:00 am. But I bet they'd get good distance bouncing whitey on the hard as rock fairways...

Today the attic insulation gets upgraded. It was originally R40 when the house was new but it's cellulose and has packed down to R28 over the years. We're upgrading to R60 and this time it will be fiberglass insulation going it. That stuff doesn't pack down or lose efficiency like cellulose plus it doesn't burn like cellulose in the event of a fire. The attic will also be getting 2 12" Lomanco whirlybirds to ventilate it better and that should help a lot with the heating and cooling.

Dan - Good luck with the Doc visit. What's wrong with the interior on the 69?

Jim - How bout 47/45? I guess ya might do better if whitey is an Angel this mawnin.

Mike - He's lucky. The mountains and southern part of AB got hammered over the weekend with a huge dump of snow. Massive traffic chaos. Lake Louise is a popular tourist destination. If he wanted to go canoeing he should plan for closer to June/July as most of the mountain lakes stay iced over much later than most tourists expect. That water is really cold and not for swimming; they'd get hypothermia really quickly.. Chateau Lake Louise was built by the CPR and opened in 1911. Like all resorts it has expanded over time to meet the demands of tourism.

Steak and burgers last evening turned out really well. It was a nice way to end the weekend.
Old April 29th, 2019, 09:56 AM

46/44 - 4 = 86
Old April 29th, 2019, 10:14 AM

Got this one stuck in my head permanently this mawn'in
Take two Led Zeppelins and call me in the morning! Allan, I'm going to pull the interior so I can take pics of the floorpan in order to show what needs to be done to it. I will likely put the car up for sale, so I am trying to get the necessary photos to show it's condition.
Old April 29th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Why??? I guess that's a personal thing. I've often toyed with the idea of selling my 72. I've had the interior out 2x and the floor pans look like they just were put in at the factory. First time I had it out I found a broadcast card under the carpet jute, and one tucked into the front seat springs. I have to take it out one more time to install the wiring looms for Power seat, PW/PDL, Rear defog on glass, and power trunk. The hobby that never stops luvin ya or your bank account!

Jim - how many mulligans???
Old April 29th, 2019, 10:30 AM

None, Not even a Colorado Koolaide [Coors]
Old April 29th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The day goes a lot quicker when you don't go in at 4. I stayed up until midnight talking on the phone so I wasn't about to get up two hours later. I was still tired all day. Gonna go to the Summit cruise in tonight, and not stay long, and come home and get to bed. And I'll try again for the overtime.

I've been thinking I'd take some money and just knock out my old Chev. I'd do what I could, then take it somewhere for what wasn't easy. I wanted that car so I could ride around with my Mom. Granddad had a car just like it and Mom learned to drive in it. At this rate my great great great grandkids might ride in it. Where is a good place to get 57 Chevy parts? Glenn you'll need to know this as well.

Hot out. Nice and sunny. Need that convertible that I didn't buy. I'd take enough money for the Chev so I could work on the Cutlass as well.

Think I'll mow a little bit before the cruise. Or take a nap. Maybe there will be lots of Oldsmobiles at the show tonight. And the pope is Jewish. See ya's.
Old April 29th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Running On Empty

46/44 - 4 = 86
Uh oh.
42 Front, 44 Back
Norm = 86
Jim 86 (-4) = 82
We'll consider ourselves even (total rounds) until today - you are now one up (in rounds played).
Rounds: Norm = Even/Jim = +1
Old April 29th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Norm Ya need to re calculate

I done deducted the 4 stokes ya gave me. Ya musta spent too much time at the 19th hole

Bes I can figger we be even

BTW, I never bet on anything that doesn't have a tail and never lie about anything but money and woman

You'd been real proud of my shanking my third [par five] shot when I thought my favorite cart girl was rounding de bend, turned out it was her day off and Miss plywood chest showed up. I hate that when that happens
Old April 29th, 2019, 01:59 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I read it too fast as I was in a tailspin to get out the door & over to the store.

Jim = 90 (-4) = 86
Norm = 86
Rounds = 1 (Jim/Norm = Even)
Old April 29th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Running On Empty

Old April 29th, 2019, 02:51 PM

Norm, Ya need to slow down

When you're standing on a tee box, you're already going around 67,000 mph around the sun

BtW give that cart girl a Cat Eye [$100] She's worth the price of admission
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Running On Empty

I'm good w/ the speed revolving the Sun, it's the 1000mph Earth rotation which throws me off. If the tee-box & fairway are North-facing, I generally try to draw the ball, if South-facing I generally fade the ball.
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I see you've met my sister....
Old April 29th, 2019, 03:49 PM
Running On Empty

I have...nice of her to give me some new *****...
Old April 29th, 2019, 07:37 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Kyle's77cutlass
Cant stand money be thrown around like it grows on trees!!! Cannot stomach paying close to triple digits in taxes in a year.
Old April 29th, 2019, 08:34 PM

Lol nice!!!! That's our leader
Old April 29th, 2019, 11:12 PM

Allan, it needs a full resto, and after buying this house with the resto money, it doesn't leave anything left. If it were in running condition, it would be different. Too much to do to this place yet, and not enough green to go around. You guys go ahead and play golf, I'll keep the cart in good running order.
Old April 30th, 2019, 06:46 AM

mawn'in

Cutting grass and then gonna go have sum fried chicken livers with my old pal Donny

Norm, The only way I can shape the ball is with a shank

Does the club that babe werks at have any membership openings

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 30th, 2019, 07:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning (actually a really horrible morning here) everyone,

Ya know the saying about some places weather - Blink and it changes? Yup. This morning I woke to overcast skies and swirling snow. Not that the temps are horrible (-1) but the wind makes it feel like -6 and the swirling snow off the roof tops makes it look really nasty. I need a reminder about why I changed my cars over to summer tires....I did have plans to trim some trees in the back yard and rescue my flag from one of the branches. it's time to replace it anyway, but I think staying in today might be where the smart money is.

The attic insulation got done yesterday. I had a chance to go up into the hatch and see what they'd done. It looks like it got hit with a snow storm up there too. I didn't realize Johns Manville blow in insulation was white. Ryan was the guy who did the blow in and he gave it a little more than was required. He said that it's now closer to R66 up there. There are soffit stops between every rafter and they installed 2 turbines on the roof. When I went up into the access hatch I immediately noticed that there was a fairly good breeze going through, so that will be even better come the heat and next winter. I'm planning to keep a comparison of the utility bills to see how much effect this has. Actually it's not so much about the $$ anymore, it's about the personal comfort of having a home that's user friendly and easily temperature controlled.

Dan - I didn't realize the circumstances. I agree that the house will be more important. Are you planning to list it on CO Classifieds? I'm sure you already know about OldsmobileCentral.com? I don't know where your car was built (likely Lansing) so maybe you'll find some of the broadcast cards that were left in it. That would sure add to its provenance.

Jim - Babes like dat are for rent all the time. All ya need is some $$$. I tot you new dat.....It's an automatic membership for anyone whose first names is sugar daddy....you nebber heard of the gimme rule of golfing??

Mike - your "great great great grandkids"?? I think that implies you would be considering a partnership with someone like the cutie cup holder in the golf cart?? I get why you'd want to get the Chevy going. As to the parts? You can literally build a 55/56/57 from ground up with all the parts that are produced for it. If you Google "Tri 5 Parts Catalogue" you'll be amazed at how many companies you have to choose from with all their tri 5 parts. Sounds like an ambitious project, but sooner it's done the sooner you'll be able to reminisce behind the wheel with your Mom. Good luck with the project, it' might cost more than you think but I'm sure it will be stunning when its done.
Old April 30th, 2019, 07:52 AM

Old April 30th, 2019, 09:37 AM

Allan, W31, Lansing built. I have the broadcast card and window sticker. Yep, well aware of Olds Central and FB forums as well. Not in a hurry to sell.
Old April 30th, 2019, 12:25 PM

I just got a FBI message from Larry ( sandy's husband) he wants to know what color the oil pan should be on tempo
Having freont seal problems and wants it to be correct color. Anyone? I haven't a clue

Edit, Sorry for sum of you newer guys Teepo was our dear friend Sandy's Cutlass she loved to show. Unfortunately she lost her battle with cancer. I guess her family still has the car she loved and wants to keep it right

Mike, John and I met Sandy and Larry when they flew down to Hotlanta