The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Really glad to be home. What a trying day. Neither of the leads were there, nor did it seem was the foreman, so the guy that makes the most trouble was "in charge." That meant that all his little minions seemed empowered and shot off their mouths all day, a couple of them didn't do their work(which meant we left a half hour later than normal), glove ***** and paper airplanes which are a big no-no. If the lead isn't there tomorrow I'm just coming home. I don't need to put up with that ****.

Then since I was late coming home there were about double the amount of asshats on the road, the railroad had closed a crossing and didn't put up a sign so I went way around, another asshat stopped short on the train tracks just as the gates were coming down, but they would have come down on my car, so luckily I could get around her. Oblivious. I can't wait until I have to go back out again, to go to the chiropractor. And I hate going there. Just one of those days. Venting over.

Didn't get a thing done yesterday. Got home from work and I couldn't keep my eyes open. Napped all afternoon then at 6 had a quick bite and went to bed. I figured if I would have tried to go to Summit I would end up in the ditch. Tiger wanted to go out a couple times but I slept most of the time and got up at 2 feeling pretty good. Had I known what awaited me I would have turned the alarm off and went back to sleep.

Allan I know there are plenty of places to get parts for the 57, but what I should have said was what places are good to get parts from. I don't want to get bad parts or have to deal with a bad place. I will probably get most of my stuff from Year One, but I don't know how much 4 door specific stuff they'll have. Guess I'll find out. How cool would it be to build one from scratch?

Okay gonna get a couple little things caught up before I go out. Hope everyone is having a good afternoon.
Old April 30th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim - Teepo's engine should be Olds Gold. Same with the oil pan.
Old April 30th, 2019, 01:27 PM

Thanks Allan I'll let Larry know

He said, Sandy's nephew had pulled the pan to fix the seal and painted it John deere Green. They jes don't have the heart to sell it
Old April 30th, 2019, 03:15 PM
Always room for one more

Oh goodness. Can you imagine the haunting they will get if the pan is the wrong color? I'm glad they still have the car.

Short session with the chiro today. That's okay, I always feel like I've been beat up when I leave there. Wasn't quite so bad today.

Not gonna get into bed as early as last night, but I'm gonna try to get close. Hope tomorrow is a better day. Have a good evening everyone.
Old April 30th, 2019, 03:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Sandy's nephew had pulled the pan to fix the seal and painted it John deere Green
What was he thinking??? Sandy would be mortified. Blue would never have let that happen.
Old April 30th, 2019, 05:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Guys:
Been off a couple days. Got some yard work done. I need to get a couple yards of dirt in and have been planning on getting it on my 18 foot trailer but we keep getting rain in the middle of the week. There is a tornado watch out and we are supposed to have thunderstorms today through Thursday. I don't need two cubic yards of mud on my trailer. I took my wife to the doctor for a review of her MRI. It seems she had a very small stroke at some time in the past. She is having some balance problems. He is referring her to a neurologist. Mostly just precaution I think. We had a little disturbing news last week. An old friend and former neighbor from the 70's passed away. His son and our son were the same age. He was 76. We had lost touch and probably had not seen he and his wife for 20 years. I had told my wife when we make a trip to Louisiana that I wanted to contact them and get together. Not going to happen now. This one got my attention. He was a good guy and a retired policeman.
Jim, if they had cart girls like that I would dig my sticks out and get serious about golf. Now be honest, is she really a cart girl on your course?
Mike, Danchuck is probably the biggest classic Chevy supplier in the US but you can got most of their stuff from Summitt and get free shipping. I have bought most of my stuff from H&H Classic Chevy in Bentonville, Arkansas. They are good guys and have most everything you need. One other big supplier is CPP.
This is about all I have this afternoon. Have a good one guys.
Glenn
Old April 30th, 2019, 10:14 PM

What was he thinking??? Sandy would be mortified. Blue would never have let that happen.
LOL, isn't that the truth.
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:05 AM

mawn'in

Larry sends his regards to 'The Olds community

I forgot Adrian went to Ohio once and met Sandy, Larry and Blue.

Once again for the new comers Blue Vista [aka Red Goat] was by far the funniest guy that's ever posted on CO. Does anyone remember 710 remark to Sandy?

Blue [via photo chop shop] made the W-36 stripe on Joe P's wagon . I thought it was Hilarious Joe not so much

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:01 AM

Glenn, This should make ya wanta take up the game
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

WTH? Yet another day waking up to snow coming down? This is getting to be a bit much. Not windy but still -2. At this rate it's gonna be tough to get the Cutlass into shape for the summer. Sigh......

Jim - hahaha, yeah W36 stripes are one of Joe's love hate things. Mostly hate and he makes no bones about the ones that are done wrong. Yes, I remember the 710 thing because it was me who did that to her. Wait and see how many of the new comers figure it out. See: Sandy's a good sport about 710 thing Here's the original where it started: The Prettiest One says "Bye" until Spring
Mike - I can't remember what show I was watching but I think they featured a lot of Classic Industries parts for their build. I was really surprised to see that they make bodies for the tri - 5's. Not more doors though, just the 2 doors. No idea what it would cost to build one from all those parts but I suspect it would involve Daddy Warbucks deep pockets. You're right that it would be super cool to see one come together as new almost 55 years after it was originally built. That might be something a tribute collector would do for the respective years? Build a 55 on the 55th anniversary, a 56 on the 56th anniversary and a 57 on the 57th anniversary? I have no idea how much time would be involved in those builds but obviously much longer than the factory took to crank them out. Ever wonder why no one can put cars together as fast as the factory? Maybe that's why body shops now just throw away any damaged parts and put new ones on. Much faster and likely less money given the labor rates.

Glenn - I've never seen a cart girl that looked anything like those ones. If there were I think there'd be many more golfers than there are now and there'd be a lot more gimme's and wobbly walk offs...

I called Polar windows yesterday and gave them the contract to replace all the windows on the north side of the house with triple pane units. They will have argon/krypton gas fill and 2 coats of Low E. They claim and guarantee that the windows will have the same thermal efficiency as an R12 stud wall. And they guarantee them for life. Not cheap, but it will go a long way to making that cave over the garage a warm room and quieter too. They took a 50% payment over the phone, and Dan will be coming out today around 11:00 am to do the final window measurements. I'm curious to see if he takes any of the inside casing off to get his measures.

Last edited by Allan R; May 1st, 2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old May 1st, 2019, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief

Dont get your woods mixed up now!!!!
If it has t!ts or tires, will be costly!!!! She has both, this will cost you 18 years of child support!!!

Last edited by Kyle's77cutlass; May 1st, 2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old May 1st, 2019, 07:56 AM

Morning gentlemen, good to here all are around.
Thanks for the condolences on loss of my neighbour, will be missed. Was wondering how Sandy was doing.She passed to, my condolences to her family. She seemed to be a very nice lady.Been a busy couple of days, picked up a couple of gems.Will post them after.
Thanks for the history lesson about Elgin, its always neat to learn about our history.

Mike, having your bones cracked always feels great.

Redoldsman, some good news with the MRI. Least some answers. Sorry to hear about your neighbour.

Allan,yes Polar is expensive and are great windows. When I was in business, was a window dealer and installer for Huron Windows out of Morden MB. Great windows as well. Was also in contact with Polar to become a dealer for them as well, could of sold for them as well but figure to much conflict with Huron so I held off.

Any ways, have a great one gentlemen
Old May 1st, 2019, 09:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Blue Vista [aka Red Goat] was by far the funniest guy that's ever posted on CO.
Except for the Mod who used to hand out these coveted awards for the funniest stuff that would make coffee snort out his nose onto his keyboard....The Coveted Jamesbo Award.... not to be confused with the Werm, or Perfect Attendance Awards......
Old May 1st, 2019, 09:39 AM

I remember the 710 with Sandy, that was funny. The W-36 stripes are great. J.P. needs to be picked on once in awhile, he's a little too serious.
Old May 1st, 2019, 09:42 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
J.P. needs to be picked on once in awhile, he's a little too serious.
I was reading through some threads a couple days ago, a little banter between Allan & Joe (about something), I found it interesting (amusing) J.P. actually admonished himself for being first-up to the plate in being a more or less 'stick-in-the-mud'.
Old May 1st, 2019, 11:38 AM

Allan, Thanks for the link, I sure miss Sandy and Pat, We had alot of fun
Old May 1st, 2019, 12:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, you're welcome. I miss her too. Good thing she didn't go over to Don's shop and ask him what the 710 thing was, he would have split a gut laughing and she would have probably killed both Blue and myself.

She and I chatted off site via FB Messenger sometimes more than on CO. She was so in love with Teepo and I can't imagine TPO would get any better attention in its life than with her. There were so many things she used to post that were perfect set up lines. Going back and re-reading some of those threads/posts brings back fond memories. So many of the members who used to post here but have disappeared into the woodwork.

You're right - Blue (Allan H) was such a funny guy but so dedicated to Olds. I bermember his Blue 71 VC and how he was always doing something special to it. I think it broke his heart when he sold it. The white 92 CC he had was never quite the same car. Remember when he took a week or so to go over to Sandy's and detail TPO's engine compartment? He also painted her engine, and I'm sure that was something that judges of the many of the shows she attended notice.

Sandy was so particular too; I don't think TPO ever saw a day that it wasn't cleaned or polished. I recall when she wanted to repair the front seats and we sent her to SMS to get the fabric swatch that was used on the CS in 72. Pinehurst wasn't a widely used color so I was surprised that SMS even had that swatch. She got the material and had the front all redone just like new. I sure wish she was still around; I'm sure many of us do. 😢😢

Remember Redgoat's Flying Monkeys??? My Gawd, that man had such an (over) active imagination and sense of humor.
Old May 1st, 2019, 12:14 PM

Yes, I remember it all, Redgoat was afraid he bust and exhaust manifold bolt when he painted her engine so he wrapped everything in tin foil and painted it as is in the car. Talk about a PITA but I'm sure if he "hurt Teepo, there woulda been a killing
Old May 1st, 2019, 12:17 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I think the 710 bit was before my time. Reading through it though I can hear Sandy going on about it.

A +1 day at work. I kept saying I was going to go home but I didn't. Might call in tomorrow...

Beautiful out, gonna mow. That is unless I sit down and fall asleep.

I remember that Wolfie guy. I went and looked he hasn't been here since 2012. And how funny, when you see his page there's a picture of his engine and the oil cap is prominent.
Old May 1st, 2019, 12:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, I believe Wolfie (Wolfman98) also was one of the members who had cancer. I'm afraid to think that it might have claimed him. He was pretty cool and I loved his Ninety Eight (not Delta 98 ) I think it was a 69. He was also a Canuck. Remember Col Wickham? He passed of a heart attack; he was only 56 years old. He had a beautiful 72 CS vert that was flame orange with white top and interior. He was also a funny guy.

Most of the stuff Jim and I were remembering were before almost all the current NGMT members. I first starting reading and posting on this thread back when it was just The Good Morning Thread. 1ATony was also a regular poster along with Pat and a host of others. When the thread got accidentally trashed, I think some of the others might have bypassed this one.
Old May 1st, 2019, 01:08 PM
Always room for one more

All I remember about Wolfie is he had a tremendously bad back. The Col. was before my time. I remember 1ATony. He runs a Mustang parts house. Pat hasn't been gone all that long. I guess like all things our little corner of the world evolves.
Old May 1st, 2019, 01:29 PM

Mike, I'm fairly certain he wasn't a Col [as in US Army] he was from Australian and his name was Col [right Allan?]

But he was another one that was hilarious
Old May 1st, 2019, 03:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Spot on Jim. Col explained it like this:
I'm not a Colonel. My name is Colin, which I shorten to Col, which Sandy (as in Cutlassgal) has morphed into Colonel....God bless her.
Back in my day as an Area Manager with a Bank I was taken over to meet the staff of Cabramatta Branch who were mainly Vietnamese. I had my Col Wickham name badge on an they all greeted me in unison.."Good Morning Colonel Wickham"...so this isn't the first time I've been Colonelised.
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:14 PM

Morning all,

I've not been on for a while but have kept up with most of whats been going on here.
Same old story here, work, sleep, study repeat lol.

Mike in Australia as you probably know what we refer to as gas you refer to as propane. Being such a hot climate we are able to run propane in cars year round without problems.

I remember our trip to the states, in that trip we met Jim, Sandy and Blue from the forum.

In this pic you can see from left to right, Blue, Nickie (Sandy's daughter), Larry, Sandy, Me, Tink, Blue's wife, and little Minette. We had all gone out for lunch. I remember Tink telling Sandy how much we paid for car registration over here for the Olds and she couldn't believe it so she asked me as well lol, for a v8 it cost just over $1000 a year for registration and then there is insurance on top. I'll let Jim post a pic of us when we had lunch if he wants too met at your clubhouse if I'm not mistaken Jim.

We have had some rain at home now so things are starting to look green again which is a nice change.

Back to study I guess, take care everyone,

Adrian
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Adrian - That's a great picture! My goodness how you've changed....Ya know? Lego is the spitting image of Min at that age. JMO.
Old May 1st, 2019, 05:07 PM
Oh no, not again...

It's cool that you all got together and met up.
At some point in time I wouldn't mind doing that sort of thing, a road trip somewhere would be neat. The only problem is I might be the only guy there without an Olds. In one respect, laughable; a Buick showing up at an Olds meet. (Cue whistle from the "Good, the bad, and the ugly) "Ya know fella, it's a nice car, but it ain't appreciated around these parts, you'd be wise to pack up yer little red wagon and skedaddle off to where ever it was you came from"...

Yeah, the snow has me in the dumps too. Every bloody day this week, and this morning the highway was slicker than snot on a doorknob. I was hoping to drive one of my cars to the swap meet in Red Deer this weekend; - there's no guarantee that the highway isn't full of salt and rocks, so I might have to take the boring modern car.

Other than that, nothing much going on. Fixed an old award watch that was awarded by the company I work for to an employee back in 1951. It's a gold-filled pocket watch of reasonably good quality, and right now it's worth more than the company is. You can buy this watch for the equivalent of 1000 Sherritt International shares. Yup; I'll be lucky if I have a job in a year, I'm hoping that someone with a vision will clean out their car's ashtray and take control of the company and turn it around, the current management is driving it into the ground. I still need 5 or so years before I can entertain the idea of retiring.

So...with all that doom and gloom, I might become a watchmaker long before I anticipated I might...going to be working on an ancient WWI vintage Rolex Unicorn tonight; I know the balance is shot but I have to see what else is going on.

Hope everyone else is having a better day!
Old May 1st, 2019, 09:35 PM

Good evening all, seems like every 1 had a nice day recalling memories. Its always amazing, puts a smile on your face

Another busy day around here. Tried to organize my shed/shop. Did a bit, chucked some junk too boot.
Got garden tilled, once when ground warms up, can plant. My 50 head of winter garlic sprouted, so can officially say spring in here.
Getting the itch to move my garage to the acreage again, think this year will do it. My buddy had swamp mats, set the shed on it for now.
Found an old gem of a tool box while helping with house repairs at a freinds place.
Any ways cheers boys!!!

Old May 1st, 2019, 10:20 PM

I remember Col Wickham as well. Nice group pic. We've lost too many members here. Rain, and more rain. The same for next week as well. Need some warm weather around here.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 05:12 AM

Adrian,

I'm not sure we took any pics when we had lunch. Of course, I can't remember what I had for breakfast either

Come to think of it {Mike?] I'm not sure we took any pics when John, his better half, Mike, Larry Sandy and my group went to lunch and toured the Fox Theater and the Cyclorama

I think we need another get together. But Allan, I'm not gonna come visit the frozen north

Have a great day Olds friends
Old May 2nd, 2019, 06:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

No surprises here, snow on the ground this morning is getting to be the norm around here again. Foggy as Londonistan right now too.

Jim - How can I blame ya? But a trip to Hotlanta is just too far for me just to go for lunch.

Kyle - Lucky you. My Grandma and Grandpa used to grow lots of garlic. Of course that was the norm as they were from the old country. Grandpa (aka Wild Bill) used to braid it in the fall and hang those braids in the basement. His house had the unmistakable smell of Ukrainian cooking all the time. I never ever saw a werewolf or vampire there though

Fixed the power head on the central vac yesterday. The motor was shot. New one cost me $50. Buddy at the shop offered to install it for another $50. Hahahaha, 2 wires and 2 screws - I don't think so. It works just fine now. He tried to sell the missus on a new $300 power head but I wasn't interested.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 08:33 AM

Morning all,

Allan, we been lucky not getting any snow yet. Fingers crossed!!!
Ah yes, the Mother Land!!! My gido come from there in 1904 on a ship. Oh the horror stories I bet he had.
Would love to go to the old country and visit.

Well another jamb packed day of, I dont know where to start!!
Cheers
Old May 2nd, 2019, 12:38 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hot and sunny. Love it. To simulate a convertible I had all four windows down in the car on the way home. It was better than AC but not a convertible. Gotta work on that.

It seems the lead won't be in all week. It's been a proverbial circus. The fat asshat who thinks he runs the place actually has been running the place, and his little asshat minions have been entitled to do and say whatever they want. And they've got an air horn that they are free to blow at any time. The other lead comes around but doesn't say anything. So sorry I have to miss the week's finale, I'm headed to Alabama for a funeral. There won't be any asshats there.

Jamesbo we did take one picture that I remember, outside the Cyclorama in front of the doors to get in. I believe it was posted here, it might take a bit to find it. That was a nice picture of everyone in Ohio.

Kyle those look like helicopters off a Maple tree next to your garlic.

You'll be okay at lunch, Marc, I showed up in a Saturn and wasn't shunned.

Adrian it's funny my friends would know what I was talking about if I said gasoline, but probably not propane. What surprised me was that there was petrol and gas(propane) next to each other at pretty much every servo. Rarely if ever do I see it here.

Chiropractor today, then I might come home and get Tiger and run out for something, not necessarily Awful house. He has to go to jail tomorrow because I'm going to be gone too long for him to stay home by himself. I should be home in the wee hours so I'll be able to get him Saturday morning.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 06:53 PM
Always room for one more

Well I just spent awhile looking up the picture of us at the Cyclorama. I couldn't remember when we went so it was pretty fun. It was 2013. Sandy had posted several pictures and they are all MIA now. Just the little square that says, picture not available. So I guess we'll never see it again. It probably wouldn't have taken me so long but I started reading the posts and some of them I actually remembered.

Chiro went okay today then I got a pizza. Haven't done much else. It's a beautiful evening out. Think we'll hit the sack in a minute.

Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:29 PM
Oh no, not again...

The trip idea sounds like it would be fun, and yeah, it should be a bit more than just a lunch. That said, there were 4 of us from the coin club that went to Berlin in 2017 just to go to a coin show. So to head to someplace like Atlanta for lunch isn't much of a stretch, provided there are some good coin shops or watch shops around, I might be game. At any rate, if we could put something together it'd be kinda neat. As for the coin club guys, next year we're heading to London, ostensibly for a coin show. Yeah, I know, more money than brains.

But...you only live once, and there's nothing wrong with trying to make the best of it and living a little, provided you don't bankrupt yourself in the process.

Pretty quiet around here today, after this morning's snow and fog, it warmed up a little and mostly melted off. I see it's clouding over again and looks like there will probably be another load waiting tomorrow morning again.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:43 PM

Yep them helicopters. We have a few Manitoba maples on our acreage, so they go every where.

Had big plans on making a metal foundry today. Well that was delayed, help mama bear rebuild 1 of her flower beds. If no rain this weekend, will finish the other one. After all that digging and lifting, I may need to see the chiro too. At least had a start after supper making the foundry, so hope by mid afternoon will be completed and ready to melt metal on Saturday.

Any ways cheers boys. Have a great PM
Old May 2nd, 2019, 10:30 PM

I noticed that when I was in Canada. We needed to refill the propane tank on the RV for the furnace and it was a hard slug to find a station that sold it. Then I try to fill the thing like we do over here only to find out that you have to go through some special course on how to fill a propane tank over there or you can't do it. Over here you just pull up and fill your own tank, if you asked for help of foe someone else to do it for you the top comment would be why'd you buy the thing if you don't know how to fill it

Always cheaper to fix things yourself isn't it Allan. More satisfying in some ways too.

Well Jim we did take pics so I'll post one. I've also got the one we took at lunch Allan so I'll post that while I'm at it you can see the difference in me from both pics lol

Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:56 AM

Tanks Adrian,

I think I'm better looking than Allan

Headed norte

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old May 3rd, 2019, 04:58 AM

Bahaha nice one Jamesbo.
Back to work tomorrow 😕
Enjoy the weekend folks.
Adrian
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:15 AM

Humph!! Just typed out a nice long reply and lost it all trying to post pics. Well here they are. If it works I'll explain them next time....
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:24 AM

Ok, It worked. I've been working on installing 4 I beams in the barn. The old wood beams had sagged. I used cherry pickers to lift beams, did it all mostly by myself, easy actually. Anyway the new beams will support a 2nd floor which will also be the ceiling of my shop so I can heat it.
Everything is going well here, weather is gloomy and rainy but no snow.
Jack is still doing well.
Neat to hear about all the good times had on this thread back in the day. I wasn't on then but do recognize some of the names from other threads.
Have a good one!