The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2018, 08:24 AM

Now Mike..... Jouni, did the gas tank impalement just happen?
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:17 AM

Short story:

I sold my previous wheels from Cutlass, wasnt too fond for them after all. Wasnt too fond about that Unilug system what Cragar uses, to be exact.
Buyer came, i lift the rear from banjo.. To swap wheels. That one time i didnt have jackstands under, wheels out, jack slipped, and whole rear came to ground. And my jack was under my gas tank..
Old February 9th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni, ouch! Is it repair worthy? Hope it's not leaking fuel now.

Elsie has arrived with a vengeance and de cow has gone wild. I guess it makes things cooler but also 110% humid.

Good thing this lobby is dry and serves drinks.
Old February 9th, 2018, 02:00 PM

Evening all

Jouni, that sounds like an expensive mistake, actually sounds like something I would do!

Boring day today, shopping from 9 till 4. I bought 4 iPads for work, £400 of fruit and veg for work, £350 of halal meat for work (don’t ask) 3 tonnes of building sand, not for work and finally £100 of soft drinks!

Saturday should be fun. We are off to a black tie winter ball which we have organised for our charity. I’ve managed to get a couple of celebs to turn up so hopefully we should raise plenty of money. I’ve got Barclays Bank to match fund the event so everything I make they will double it.

Mike, how’s the diet going? I was doing ok till Christmas then it all went TU. so I’m back on it from next Thursday.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old February 9th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah, Friday. Hasn't been a bad week, I suppose, as far as work goes. Tonight, all bets are off. We have the lead who thinks we can just do whatever. Got the foreman on speed dial.

London things are slow to get going. I have the "track" laid out in the back yard for walking but have only done it a couple times so far. I still eat whatever I want, but try to moderate it. I drink way less pop than I have been, and I think that's what helps the most. But I will say I have a little more energy and the pants are going on easier.

I did that once, put a floor jack through a gas tank. It was on a parts car. Planned on selling the tank and making big bucks. It was a 62 Cutlass. But alas, with a big dent and a hole in the middle I never found out if I could have retired from it.

Supposed to rain all weekend. Yuck. Though it was supposed to rain all day today and we haven't seen any.

Oh the neighbor has soup gotta go.
Old February 10th, 2018, 10:16 AM

Evening.

Was a nice day. Dropped old fuel tank, ordered new, made new treads to TH350 oilpan-rail, did woodwork and ate awesome chicken soup.

Whats up everyone else?

Beer & Potatochips now->
Old February 10th, 2018, 11:05 AM

Doing laundry now, snowblowing the driveway next.
Old February 10th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Next to last hola from the tropical heat. With humidex it's a sweltering 94°. Honestly I don't know how you guys who love the heat can do it. I'm really looking forwards to going home.

Mike, just curious because I hear about the neighbors cooking for ya sometimes, which is right neighborly and friendly, and the second home at Awful house. I'm just wondering, do you cook at home? It's one way to control food portions and what ya eat. Good to hear you've cut down on pop. If you check the grams of sugar listed on the bottle (usually something in the high 20s or low 30s) divide it by 4 and that's the equivalent number of teaspoons of sugar in each bottle. It's mind blowing. It's nice when clothes are easier to put on isn't it?

London, yes Ive already cut back a lit on the all inclusive resort food. Most of the cooking here uses a LOT of sodium. Today when I asked the waiter for milk to drink he looked at me like I was kidding, but brought me milk - with ice cubes and a straw. Luckily with all the walking we do here I haven't gained any weight but I'm sure my A1c and triglycerides have taken a beating.

Jouni, what wheels did you order for your ride? Tater chips and beer huh? Okee dokey. Oh, I got a few beers chilling in the ice bucket if you're still thirsty after all those chips

Dan, have fun with the snowblower. I think Clint is in the same boat out in Colorado. I just checked back home and it's warmed up a lot to 14°, but the wind makes it feel more like 5° (all °F BTW)
​​​​​
i think I'll send out some laundry. It's real cheap to get done here and I don't really like packing dirty clothes in my case. Besides they do a better job foldiif and pressing than I do.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old February 10th, 2018, 02:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

As Freddy Fender would say, wasted days and wasted nights... the POS lead didn't disappoint and this morning I was walking out at 530. He knew it was my Friday and was still handing me work after 4(I'm supposed to leave at 5 and still needed to do paperwork). Eh, I don't care. I've got his number.

So I told Tiger we should get up around noon, and of course he got me up at 1. It's rainy and yucky out so we've done exactly nothing this afternoon and it looks like that will continue into the evening. This is how bad I am today, I finally took a shower around 4 and then got back in my jammies.

Allan I don't usually cook for myself. Previous to last year the specialty of the house was soup from a can. I don't see much point in getting the kitchen all messed up for one person. After I became once a month painter at my Mom's, she would make all my favorite foods and freeze them so I could bring them home. My neighbor loves to cook and the husband doesn't eat leftovers, so I get what's left. I'm not complaining. So between what I get from my Mom and my neighbor, that pretty much sets me for the month. It is very easy to divide everything and eat less and make it last. The trouble is I love to eat and everything is so good, I just need a little discipline.

As for the Awful house, I get a grilled chicken salad when I'm there after breakfast and oatmeal for breakfast. And really cut down on the pop. In fact lately if I can catch them in time( they see me coming) I usually drink water.

Oh me. I should get dressed and go out and do something. I don't know what. I hate to waste my time off. I might think of something.

Safe trip home Allan. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
Old February 10th, 2018, 11:52 PM

Good morning.

Lovely warm inside due to heating fireplace well yesterday. Gonna visit some relatives today with the baby, lets see how it goes. Wife wants to get out of house.

Allan R - Yup, tater chips and beers. Atleast here its more than normal to combine those two Havent ordered any rims yet.. Not sure what i want. Ultimately i would like to find 15x8 SS wheels for rear, and combine with my original SS2's and paint em SS3-style. But it seems like a dead end.
Time will tell, not in a hurry yet

Being at home whole winter its too easy to eat too much. Actually, i eat even less than in summer, but at summer im burning all of what i eat, and usually are a tad hungry, like to work more when a tad hungry verses well-fed. At winter has all the "eating-fests", christmas, new-year..

Oh well, have a good day everyone!
Old February 11th, 2018, 07:06 AM

Afternoon all

Had a great time at last nights charity ball. It’s quite fun dressing up in the tux and bow tie. The event went so well and we raised loads of money for our two charities, at the last count it stood at a smidge over £23k so well worth all the effort. One thing I didn’t like was when the Mayor was making a speech and thanked us by making us stand up so we could get a round of applause. I’m not really one for the limelight.

Housework today, I’m doing downstairs and the wife the bedrooms, that means I can sneak in the lounge to watch the soccer on TV.

Have a great week
Old February 11th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

London you do need to be seen with all the effort you put in. You may not want to be seen, but the people need to see you.

Just got back from the Awful house. Decided to go there last night after all. I told Tiger if we didn't do something to get out of the house, we'd stay inside until Tuesday night.

So rain, big surprise. Gonna be inside stuff to do today. I keep saying I'm moving to Ecuador. Maybe one of these days I'll actually do it.

Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old February 11th, 2018, 12:29 PM

Quit raining just as I started to unload the truck from our trip norte

London, the word for the day is Eleemysnoary BTW Ya done good.

This weekends pie was Key lime. Pretty good if I do say so

I'm just about to get over the crud so I think I'm gonna let whitey rest tomorrow

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 12th, 2018, 12:33 AM

Morning.

Quite a show yesterday night ( our time) at the forum, few butts were hurt bloody
Just happened to browse forum when the happening took Place, fun to watch

Another week closer to work beginning. Yay. Need more money for my car

LondonCutlass - Got to see your soccer? How did the cleaning went?

Okay, have a good week everyone.
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

One year with Tiger today! I'm counting this as his birthday and he is 2. You know I almost named him Abraham.

Jamesbo I don't know how much rain you guys got but if you were playing down here Whitey would need water wings.

Went over to the shop between rain showers yesterday and sorted a little more through all the stuff my neighbor left over there. He isn't interested in retrieving it and I'm tired of it sitting in the middle of everything. There's lots of electrical things that have been out in the rain, so that stuff will probably go to the recycler. Lots of tools I can repurpose, lots of junk.

Today I'm taking my neighbor to get some blood work done. His wife has jury duty and if I had to guess she's wishing for a long trial where she gets sequestered. Actually her story for not getting picked is going to be she has an elderly husband who needs constant care. Not made up.

Well it's that time again. Awful house. Hope everyone has a good start to their week.
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:52 AM

Mawn'in

Clearing out and warming up but I'm having a brief flash of sanity and am gonna look after myself instead of smacking whity

Allan, I woke up in the middle of the nite and the TV was on. so there, I've watched curling

Inline, Sorry about you gas tank just lucky it wasn't you

Old February 12th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Happy Monday everyone

Well the bellboy collected our luggage about 45 minutes ago and brought us to the lobby. Checkout complete and Bill paid. Now we have around 2 hours to grab a light lunch and wait for the airport shuttle. They figure 3:05 departure from here to get to CUN for 17:00 (traffic?) Flight leaves at 19:05
I'm so looking forward to seeing my son and being back home.

Jim, you'll be jess tixlked to k ow there's no more sheet critters coming yer way. They never did a repeat in the whole 2 weeks. Hope you feel better soon. So whadda ya think about curling? Was it the mixed doubles competition or regular team.play?

Mike, congratulations! Happy birthday to Tiger. I guess 2 is 14 dog years? That might explain why he acts peculiar sometimes. Teenagers are pretty much the same whether human or pups. That's awfully nice of you to help out your neighbor like that. I hope he's going to be ok.

London, I agree with the idea you should be recognized for your efforts. It can send a powerful message to others about volunteering time and energy to help others. Well done sir.

Jouni, don't be in such a big rush to go back to work. Enjoy the quality time at home with the Mrs and son. Goes without saying you're already enjoying quality time with chips, beers and sauna

Kinda strange how hot weather makes me feel very not hungry. But I gotta get something and take my meds before that 6½ hour flight home.
Old February 12th, 2018, 10:22 AM

Allan, I'd take my flip flops off and put my coat on
Old February 13th, 2018, 01:48 AM

Good day.

So, Allan finally heading back to home. Must have been great to be two weeks out of home. Been watching Olympics this Morning, sprint ski's.
Thursday is the prime moment, when mens ice-hockey starts on Finlands team! Fin-Ger.

Have a great day all.
Old February 13th, 2018, 04:49 AM

Mawn'in

Colder but still hanging on to clear

Happy Berfday Tiger

Allan, I hope you found everything OK when ya got home from your vacation

Clint, Where ya at?

GTG

Old February 13th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi and a good afternoon to everyone.

Well so much for free WiFi at CUN intl airport. Nada. We got there early and checked in no prob. Then it was the waiting game. I can't believe how expensive airport food and drink is.

Our flight was delayed by almost an hour, and then a passenger with a medical emergency insisted on trying to board. She fainted halfway into the plane. The crew gave her ankanot chance but she didn't make it to her seat and they had to take her off the plane in one of the narrow wheelchairs I never knew planes had. I think the pilot had the engines at WOT because we were speeding along at close to 480 mph to make up for a lengthy delay departure. Whe we arrived late at YEG 7 other planes arrived at the same time. It was a nightmare going through customs. It took it over an hour. My son was waiting with his car all warmed up so I didn't even bother to change from shirts and sandals. We got home about 2:00 am and I crashed right away.

So todays agenda is doing some laundry, shoveling out my cars and then maybe some shopping. There's a heck of a lot of snow here since we left.

I hope everyone has a great Monday.
Old February 13th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

A little coolish out today, but no rain. And the sun tried to peek out a couple times this afternoon which got me all excited.

Allan glad you got home okay. If you were flying at 480mph you were poking along. The -800 cruises around 520mph, and if they were really hustling they could probably bump it up to 550 or 570. Max throttle the whole way would make you go much faster, but you'd probably have to stop for fuel. When you're shoveling just pretend it's the sand from the beach.

Tiger says thanks for the nice wishes. We went to get my hair cut this afternoon and went to the bank. The lady at the drive up window gave him a treat. He of course got it all over the car and was hunting crumbs the whole time we were out.

Work tonight. I kind of think the week will go fast, but heck who knows with that place. Next weekend the guy from Athens is coming to retrieve the Deuce and a half and get it running. I'm making up a list of other things he can address while he's got it.

Okay time to hit it. Have a good evening everyone.
Old February 14th, 2018, 04:56 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, I'm here.

Spose to get shingles delivered on Friday, they may start on the roof also if the weather cooperates.

Missus is spose to have surgery on Monday, but she has an infection so she may have to reschedule.

Still dealing with inept employees, and trying to resurrect gawdawful woreout machinery

Have a day all.
Old February 14th, 2018, 04:58 AM

Mawn'in

Got ta head to the dentist then back norte

My 90 y.o. bud is having a ruff time. Gotta go check in on him

Mike, Red dog loves to go to the bank only he now thinks if its a drive in window he gets a treat

Old February 14th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Mike, did you see on the news of the plane with an engine cover that came off in flight? How does that happen? Clint, hope all goes well for the missus and her surgery. Jamesbo, good of you to keep an eye on a friend. The gals at work wanted to have a desserts day, for Valentines day, so I made a chocolate cherry cheese cake.
Old February 14th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone

Same day today as yesterday. Still feels a little warm out, hope that lasts.

Dan I hadn't heard about that. Who was it? That will happen if the mechanic doesn't latch the cowls. They'll eventually come open and flap themselves to death before they depart the airplane. It beats up the side of the plane pretty good and who knows what they eventually land on when they hit the ground.

Clint did you ever hear about the truck driver who went to the doctors office with shingles?

Jamesbo hope your friend is feeling better.

Dinner at work tonight. It's profit sharing day. While I don't turn my nose up at free money, I was a little disappointed at the amount this year. Eh, free money.

Okay off to it. Last night wasn't too bad. Found a plane that had food but not many passengers. It had terra-massoo(no clue how to spell that). I think I ate four of them. They were small. Have a good night everyone.
Old February 14th, 2018, 10:23 PM

Here ya go Mike, (United Airlines)https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/13/u...ine-cover.html
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:03 AM
Always room for one more

Geez Dan that wasn't just the cowl, that was the nose cowl and the reversers. I couldn't imagine what caused all that. I thought it was a little extreme that they had to brace for impact. Eh, that's probably what their script said.

Everything was a challenge at work tonight. We need some people with integrity. We sorely lack in that department.

Hope everyone has a good day. See you's this afternoon.
Old February 15th, 2018, 04:21 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Surgery rescheduled for the 12th of next month.

Mike, I had to read that a few times.

Jamesbo, hope your friend is coming out on top.

Dan, thanks, It's gonna be a long row to hoe.

Allan, Have you learned any Sheet Origami?

Have a day.
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:34 AM
CQR

Just call me the thread killer.

Have a day.
Old February 16th, 2018, 06:42 AM

Good evening.

Just stopped watching FIN-NOR hockey match. FIN won 5-1
Been busy few days on minor thing which took surprisingly long. Both for house and car.

I have 2 timing covers. Both had pitting on water-pump area ( crap stuff, showing age just after 42 years ) but other had also some interesting damage where crankshaft comes through, just like damper would have given up and beaten the cover veeery badly. That was from the engine i bought for parts last year.
So, new timing-cover after taxes and Freight would have been 120$ to my door For a piece of metal
So i approached it from another view, i meticuosly cleaned my timing cover, and bought best ( most expensive price + promises about really good heat and chemical retention + cures so strong you can make even threads to it) chemical metal i found. Really really small tube cost me 20$, just enough to overdo my timing cover. Now it cures 24 hours on top of fireplace ( it says more heat = more durable finish), and tomorrow ill sand it to level. Interesting to see how it stands up, first time i ever use chemical metal, some guys swear By it. Atleast, if it happens to fail, particles go just to water-passages, not to oil-side. Anyone have any experience about chemical metals btw? I understand theres different qualities of it too for different usages, i bought what was "meant" for this.

Allan R - So youre back at home. Was it delight to shovel snow? Have you been looking Olympic Curling? Canada already have one golden

Jamesbo - How was your old buddy? Feeling any better?

Hmm.. i should do something to fireplace.. gonna throw more woods on it.
Have a day!
Old February 16th, 2018, 03:43 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Clint you didn't kill us, we're still here! Now, if every thread you posted on...

Glorious day today. Got home a little early this morning and when I got up with Tiger at noon the sun was out and it was 70. It clouded up during the afternoon but it's still warm out. Would be ashame to ruin this all with rain, but I think that's coming tomorrow.

After looking at those United pictures more it isn't the reversers that came off, but the fan cowls. And of course the nose cowl. Wonder if the FAA has given the plane back to United yet.

And Friday. Gonna be a busy weekend for me. That guy is coming for the truck and I need to get it ready. And of course all the other things that need doing on the weekend. Taking an extra one next week so I can spend extra time at my Mom's.

Okay Tiger is going out then it's off to work. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old February 16th, 2018, 11:31 PM

Here ya go Allan
Old February 17th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Gee, almost 5 on my day off and I'm almost ready for the day. Got home after 8 this morning after a rather suckful night. Then found out everyone was bad-mouthing me all night because of some work that was assigned to us erroneously, that I had no clue about. So it didn't get done. Lead's problem, not mine.

Got up at noon with Tiger and thought, nah, only three hours of sleep? Not gonna happen. I still feel run down. Man I gotta do something different.

Clint Denver is on the bid again. I worked with a guy a couple years ago from Denver and it took him 24 years to get back. I've heard our gates at DIA can be rather challenging in the winter.

Well sun's out, a little windy but warmish. I'm gonna go do a couple things outside and then run some errands. Can't let the whole day waste away.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old February 18th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Always room for one more

Hm. Now I'm the thread killer.

Good morning everyone.

Had to hit the Awful house early because a couple guys came to get the Deuce and haul it off. Funny, I've been messing with that guy on and off for years and couldn't get anything out of it. This guy shows up today, fiddles under the dash for a minute and it starts right up. Drove it right up on the trailer. Way easier than winching it. He's going to give it a once over and send me a list. I hope it isn't too many thousands.

Beautiful out. Sunny, around 50, such a pleasure to see this kind of weather for a change. I think we're going to spend a good portion of the day outside. Plenty to do that's for sure.

Hope Jamesbo is doing okay with his friend.

Okay gonna go get at it. Have a good day everyone.
Old February 18th, 2018, 09:23 AM

Evening everyone.

Refreshing outside Clear, dark sky and 1F. Rabbit eating carrot just under one of our kitchen windows. I heard we had to put carrott outside for it??

Well.. Not much else. My timing cover been curing for loong, tomorrow ill think ill start to sand it down and see what happends. Its pretty damn hard stuff i must say, i made one test-bead out of interest. Tomorrow ill also go loan stress-plate for my engine.

Hmph... Have a day everyone.
Old February 18th, 2018, 09:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Everyone,
It's been fairly busy the last little while.

Jim, hope your friend is doing ok. You're a good egg to be looking out for him. I hope I have someone like you looking out for me when (if) I get to the 90's.

Mike, sounds like the people at work are being jerks. Probably just best to ignore them? So what's the deal with bidding on shifts? It sounds like there's a lot of competition and you'd have to uproot to move to Denver if you got that. Would big D help with the relocation if it happened or do they put it all on you?

Jouni, winter doldrums are no fun are they?

Dan, good one! Gotta love maxine. She knows squat about curling but it's ok to make fun of it.

Clint, No sir. No sheet origami for me unless you call messing up the sheets whilst sleeping? Good luck with the shingling. Prayers sent for Lynne; I hope she gets better soon and does well with the surgery.

Now if no one else posts anything it'll be my turn to be the thread killer
Old February 18th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, here's another one for ya...

Old February 18th, 2018, 11:08 AM

Thanks for all the concerns and well wishes. I guess when ya get to be 90 ++ even an hang nail is serious. Everyone's fine just had to adjust sum meds and feed him sum good stuff

Blue bird day down here. I hear a smacking whitey on the near horizon
Old February 18th, 2018, 06:15 PM

Allan, I don't know about that one, if they get a little offended, they might start throwing those stones, and I ain't so fast on my feet anymore.