The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Absolutely beautiful out, and I plan to use the day by going over to the shop and making room for all the parts I'm bringing home next week.

Yesterday I didn't do squat. I sat down for a minute and almost instantly went into auto shutdown. I couldn't keep my eyes open for nothing, ended up lounging on the couch most of the afternoon. I was done. I attribute that to getting less than 4 hours sleep the night before and still going in early for overtime. I thought there'd only be one other guy there so I went in, turns out there were two other guys. Eh, now I know. Slept good last night.

Before I hit the shop I'm going to the old junkyard south of me. It's the kind where the cars are half way up to their windows in mud and the trees are growing though the bumpers. Haven't been there in awhile. Doubt he has anything I need but it's fun to go, and I haven't been seeing the guy at the Monday cruise ins.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by slantflat; October 6th, 2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old October 6th, 2018, 03:09 PM

Morning all,
Rain on and off the last couple days. Lets see if it clears up today. Back to work tomorrow. I really need to get this diplomas finished so I can look for another job lol, getting tired of the shift work now.
So tell me Allan, what is a frost bib? Never heard of one before.
Minette had a sleepover at her friends place last night for her birthday so we will be picking her up soon.
I wouldn't have a Trax or any of the other variants as they just don't suit what I am after in a car these days. Have fun deciding on which to get your mum Mike.
Tink has finished her 2 weeks training for her new job. She had a couple weeks at the office just learning and helping out before the training started and now next week she starts the real fun with her own case load. She got a job as a child safety officer and by the looks of things this job has a lot more support compared to the last job she had at the prison which is good.
Ok time to get this day started, have a good day everyone,
Adrian
Old October 6th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Adrian, it's an exterior tap designed for cold weather. It extends into the heated area of the house to prevent freezing. Looks like this. You wouldn't need them in Oz. I'm also installing shut off valves inside to prevent mischief from kids turning on the tap as a prank.
Old October 7th, 2018, 02:16 AM

That's cool to know Allan and you're right we wouldn't need those over here in Oz. Couldn't you install a plastic piece in there somewhere then hook up a bit of electricity then after the first kid gets zapped word would get out and I can bet no one else would be touching your taps
Old October 7th, 2018, 05:55 AM

Good morning all... I have been following but not adding to the thread as I been moving, etc. Wife and I are completely moved out of the home we have occupied since 1984 ( her since 1972). WOW! You can imagine how much stuff! Now we are living in our cabin. Three months ago we had absolutely no idea we would move. We bought our cabin in 2004 and just love this lake (Long Lake, just north of Harrison, Mi). In July we found that the neighbors were going to sell their house on the lake so we decided to buy it. So now we are dealing with 3 transactions- 2 sells and 1 buy, all are private sales, though we have hired realtors to handle the paper work. Our house it appears will go, everything has fell in place so far, just a waiting game on that one, supposed to close 10/15. On the cabin we have a buy sell agreement and are waiting on the results of the buyers inspection and appraisal. On the purchase we have a buy/sell agreement and are awaiting the appraisal and the lender. So right now we are living in the cabin which is a little tight but ok. If the cabin transaction goes thru before the new house that will be the best scenario. We have moved a bunch of our stuff into a barn I own that is just across the street from the new place. If the cabin sells before the new house we will stay at our sons place across the lake. Well I guess I went on and on... It is bittersweet ... Ya'll have a good-day. Greg
Old October 7th, 2018, 07:29 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. It was nice and quiet when I went in, then it got busy and loud. Good time to leave. That will probably be it for awhile since I'm going to be gone next weekend.

I really kinda wanted to work in my yard today but the son is next door for the weekend and his dog barks at me whenever I'm out there. If I say anything they get mad(but they can tell my dog to shut up...) so I'll just find something else to do

So Allan that bib just moves the valve inside the heated space. Pretty clever. Do you have problems with the neighborhood kids turning the spigots on? An odd thing to do. Say how are the new neighbors?

Greg it's all moving right along. As it were. The neighbors' house must be quite the place to be going through all this.

This afternoon I'm going to see Bullitt. I've only ever seen the car chase, never the whole movie. My friend was supposed to be here this weekend and we were going to go see it. He's a huge fan of this movie, even named his dog Bullitt. But his awful wife put the kybosh on that. So he says to me, I guess we're going to miss the movie. I said, you are going to miss the movie. After the movie I'm going up to my work to blast a couple brackets since no one will be there.

Old October 7th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,
It's turkey day here. Everyone in the US has to wait another while for yours. We started early by cooking the bird on Friday so we'll have plenty of leftovers and homemade turkey soup to last for a few days. I think the soup is one of the best things ever invented.

Mike - We don't have that problem so far but it's happened to a few of the residents in the cul-de-sac so we're just going to take precautions. Besides which it will ensure there's absolutely no water flow to the bib during the winter. As for the new neighbors? They are not user friendly. They're messy and noisy. You're welcome to have them if you want, although I doubt you'd want a bunch of Syrian muslim refugees living next to you either. Enjoy the movie, it was pretty cool when it came out. Some of it was pretty corny though when I look back on it.

Greg - I hope everything works out for you. That's a lot of buying and selling. I'm also glad it's not me.

Adrian - Hahahahaha, that would be cool. Those bibs are now available with push on connectors for the PEX tubing we have in our house. Makes the job a lot easier. I have PEX cutters and collars but no crimper. I guess I could rent it from HD though. Belated Happy Birthday to Minnette! Sounds like Tink is on her way. I remember when she was here she was a little worried about if she would be able to get another job and if the degree she got was worth the time.

Marc - Gobble gobble...

We had the carpets done yesterday but instead of taking 'about 5 hours' to dry as the tech said, it was closer to 12. On the good side the carpet looks very clean and almost new.
Old October 7th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Sunday Afternoon Guys:
My wife and I got back yesterday afternoon about 4:30. It was a fun weekend. We went out to the Perrin Field / AFB Museum before we checked in to the hotel. It is not big but we really enjoyed it. They had three docents there. Only one had actually served at Perrin AFB and he was the one who gave us the tour. He was 75 and he and I had a brief overlap in our time there. We were in different maintenance groups. He was there in March 1967 when we arrived but he was reassigned in November of that year. What a nice guy. He and his wife came to the car festival and car show on Saturday. After we checked in we went up and drove across the Lake Texoma Dam. One side is in Texas and the other side is in Oklahoma. It is almost 3 miles across the dam and it contains 18.8 cubic yards of dirt. The car show on Saturday had 100 cars. There were some really nice cars there. We got a nice spot at the end of Main Street and old Highway 75 which was on the end. I had put a little narrative together about our time in Denison and put it on the right side of the windshield along with a bumper sticker I got at the museum that said I Served At Perrin. I think we had more of a crowd around the car than we have ever had and really enjoyed taking with folks. Our some and his wife came up and several times I was talking with folks and pointed to him (he is 50) and said that boy was born at Perrin. Folks really love my carhop tray and the drive in speaker that play oldies music. Denison is a small town of about 22,000 people and my wife and I discussed the difference in the people there and the big city. They did not have classes in the show and just gave a best of show award and then awards to the top 60 cars. So we brought home a plaque. It was a really fun weekend of reminiscing and chatting with some really nice folks. I tried to export the photos from my iPhone but it not working. Never had a problem before but who knows. I hope all of you have had a good weekend.
Glenn
Old October 7th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Always room for one more

Just got back from the movie and other things. That's the first time I had seen Bullitt all the way through, and of course on the big screen. Going down those San Francisco hills it really felt like you were in the car. I didn't quite get what all was going on, it didn't seem to line up what each person was up to, except for Bullitt. There were even some pretty good shots of airplanes, Pan Am mostly but a couple PSA. Both names lost to time. Glad I went. I thought I was the only one in the theater, but when I was leaving saw an old woman sitting on the ground floor by herself. Odd. Between 14 to get in and 15 for popcorn and Coke, it's no wonder I don't go to shows very often. This one was special, though.

After the movie I went up to my work and blasted the two air conditioning brackets off the green Olds. They came out absolutely beautiful. I'll have to see if I can get a picture before I paint them. By the way, are they supposed to be flat black or semi gloss? Or chassis black which is in between.

Then I got gas for the car, went to the grocery store, and came home and had a bite. I'm going to call my Mom in a little while and then hit the sack. I'd say it was a darn full day.

Glenn glad you had a good trip. Eighteen point eight cubic yards of dirt doesn't seem like a lot for a three mile dam.

Allan you can keep your neighbors. My neighbors have actually been calm the past few months. Tiger and I did go out and do work in the back yard today. The dog next door barked at Tiger and didn't even know I was out there. The son came out and told him to stop barking, that last all of about 10 seconds.

Okay soon to bed and another work week. Have a good night everyone.
Old October 7th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good day everyone!
Not much on the go today, like Allan says, it's Thanksgiving up here so we're set to partake in some large non-flying sort of bird called a Turkey. (I always remember back to the episode of WKRP in Cincinnati where Les Nessman tossed live turkeys out of a helicopter down to the poor people in the Projects only to discover that turkeys can't fly. I guess that was based on a real event.

Mike, any underhood stuff that is black is generally semi-gloss black. I know for a fact that stock factory brackets were semi-gloss because I've cleaned enough of the damned things up. Love all those airplane shots in old movie, and Bullitt was one of my favorites. I used to live in "Frisco" when I was a kid, so I can relate and know where all those places are. When we lived there it was only 6 years after the movie was made, so nothing had changed.

Glenn; Isn't it nice to talk to people you can relate with that have a lot of similar shared experiences? It's one of the things I like about these forums, you meet like-minded people there and it just makes things "better".

Allan: One way to fix your new neighbors is to invite them over for a good ol' fashioned pig roast, with plenty of corn on the cob and greasy pork smoldering away on the BBQ and with the C & W cranked up high, of course all fueled by plenty of beer. You'll never see them again, particularly if you make a big deal about them being new in the neighborhood and hug them with pork and booze breath. Have some white sheets hanging on a clothesline to complete the effect, they'll be so quiet you'll never even know they're there.

Greg, wow, sounds impressive, good luck keeping it all sorted out! When we moved from a house that we'd lived in for 17 years I couldn't believe the crap we had squirreled away; - so I understand where you're at, I understand! Good luck!

And now...to a fine supper; - Happy Thanksgiving!
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:49 AM

??? Anybody around today? Weather is up and down around here, a high of 56° yesterday, supposed to be near 80° today. Picked up an inch plus of rain overnight. By Saturday the high will be about 50°. I will have to bundle up a little for the last car show up in Pentwater, Mi. One member of C.O. stopped by Friday (I took a vacation day), to check out my car and buy a set of 3:91's and the 672 pig that they match up with for his '68 W30. We must have talked for about 2 1/2 hours out in the garage. He's owned his '68 for 35 years. Well, time to shave and get ready for work. Have a good one.
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, it's ugly here. We got about 5" of snow overnight and the temperature is still below freezing. Nasty day to be out so good day to stay inside. I imagine Jim is out somewhere letting whitey know who's boss.
Old October 8th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys.
Just finished cooling off from my morning walk. Allan it is hard for me to imagine your weather. I just got back about 30 minutes ago in my shorts and tee shirt which was pretty wet from sweat. It is 80 degrees right now. We are supposed to go on a cruise in two weeks over in east Texas to see the foliage. I am at the point of wondering if we will have any change by then. I certainly think we will be able to put the top down if it is not raining.
Not too much on tap today. I have some stuff to take care of in the office and then will probably get out in the garage and fool around. I can always find stuff to do out there. Hope all you guys have a good day.
Glenn
Old October 8th, 2018, 10:48 AM

Afternoon all, Did ya miss me?
Old October 8th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Oh no, not again...

Good Morning! (I think...)
Woke up this morning and thought I was still dreaming about one of Dante's levels of Hell. No, it it's for real, it snowed a lot last night. Well, that ends cruising for this year I guess. So...what to do...well, I'm not going out there and shoveling that crap, so I'm building a watch instead. An 1820 re-case of a watch originally made in the 1790s. Pictures and film at 11...
Have a great afternoon!
Old October 8th, 2018, 12:16 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Busy day at Big D. No mishaps, no drama. Not bad. Only 4 more to go and it's the weekend again.

Marc I don't blame you for not wanting to shovel. Had my share of that for sure.

Glenn we must have about the same weather you do today. Overcast and not hot. If I had a convertible that I could drive I'd sure be in it.

So I just found out there's a hurricane in the Gulf, headed straight for the Florida panhandle. I wonder why my Mom didn't mention that when I talked with her last night. I wonder if I need to go down and scoop them all up and bring them here.

Summit cruise in tonight. I'm predicting a decent turnout. Oh wait, it's a holiday. They might call out. I better check the website. It's almost like they don't even want to have that show, and any tiny excuse to call off they'll take.

Okay got a few things to do. Hope everyone has a good afternoon.
Old October 8th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Always room for one more

So it's a nice afternoon and I leave the house for Summit and half way there it starts raining. Pretty good, too. So I just turned around and came home. When I got back it wasn't raining. Eh, I was over it by then.

Here are the brackets. They are sitting on the hood of a car with a cover on it. When painted they will be the nicest looking parts under the hood.

Gonna try for overtime in the morning. We'll see. Have a good night everyone.

Old October 8th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice job Mike. I used to do that going to my work to blast stuff. But after I retired I had to buy my own compressor and blaster. The surfaces are ready for a coat of paint without having to do anything else. I used High Heat semi gloss engine enamel on some of my parts, others I just used a high heat semi gloss clear.

Now you need to start removing and blasting all the other brackets and pulleys to make them look that good.
Old October 8th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good job on cleaning up those brackets! That's something I've always wanted to do, have a sand blaster to take care of stuff like that. They'll look great on the car. One thing I did with one of my old Buicks was get the aircleaner and the valve covers powder coated, they look like new forever after that. It can get pricey, but it makes cleanup before a show easy.
I think I'm giving up on these old English watches. This is a second one that resists any attempts to make it run for any length of time. It runs well for a few minutes, then mysteriously stops, then give it a shake, it takes off again, and goes another few minutes and then quits. I guess it must be tired after 200 years. It's enough to drive a guy nuts. But it's the only solution, some pivot must be worn to the point of binding things up. I'll probably never find it either.
I'm done for the day; - have a good night everyone.
Old October 9th, 2018, 03:47 AM

mawn'in

Winds blowing from the south so as grandpa used to say, "Time to get your wood on the porch"

Mike, Next time you're in downtown Pensacola go by the hardware store. They have bolts in the concrete out front so they can bolt plywood with brackets to the store front. When ya see them bring the plywood outa storage, it;s time to GTF out of town

BTW nice job on the brackets

Nailhead, what kind of spectacles do you use to werk on watches?

Allan, Once again, I don't see how you can stand living in that weather. I was in the 80's yesterday

Adrian, What Allan failed to mention about frost free hose bibs, is if you leave a hose hooked up, they don't werk worth a tinker's hurray

Have a great day Olds friends .
Old October 9th, 2018, 04:38 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old October 9th, 2018, 05:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Break time. I did come in two early and now I can hardly keep my eyes open. I need to get a snack and get a sugar rush going.

Jamesbo I think those bolts might be pressed into use soon. I didn't even know there was a hurricane in the gulf and yesterday it was Cat 1. I texted my sister and she said they aren't doing anything, it won't be more than a bad thunderstorm. This morning it was Cat 3 and I called my Mom and woke her up. She said whatever the rest of them do she'll tag along. My sister has always been of the mindset, regardless of what it is, ignore it and it will go away. I already told my work that I might have to bail out and head to Florida. Although last time there was a hurricane forecast for Pensacola I went there with 25 gallons of gas and the intention of loading up and Mom coming here. It was sunny all weekend. It took me a few weeks to use up all that gas.

Things are going well here this morning. I'm already more than half done and we have the whole rest of the day to go. Eh, that just means I'll be doing more to make up for someone else's slack. That's okay. It's just sitting typing on the computer, sort of like what I'm doing now.

Hope everyone has a good day. I might be blowing past you all in a little while.
Old October 9th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Afternoon Everybody:
It has been raining here all day. Lucy and I did not get to go for our walk this morning. I have been in the office most of the day making reservations for our fall cruise in east Texas next weekend. A recommended travel agent made them. I changed hotels on one of them and rebooked the other with a AAA discount and saved a total of $73. If I wasn't retired I probably would have just gone ahead with the original reservations. Hey, the savings pays for my gas on the trip. I am done in the office and hope we have some good weather tomorrow. Hope everybody has had a good day. Allan must be shoveling snow since we have not heard from him.
Old October 9th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Oh no, not again...

I don't know about Allan, but I definitely avoided shoveling the white crap that's laying around everywhere. About the only advantage to an early winter is the fact that you don't have to rake leaves. Worry about them in spring when it's a bit warmer. Last year we had the same thing happen; I'm waiting and waiting for the trees to drop and instead the snow comes down and buries the problem until spring. Looks like this year might be the same considering they're revising the forecast and it just might not melt.
Have to send my Mom an e-card tomorrow, it's her birthday, sent her some flowers already hopefully they get there on time. There's no snow where she is, but people like to do things on their own time and speed there. While I'm at it I'll ask her again why it is out of all the places on earth that we could have emigrated to did we decide to stay here, instead of someplace warmer.
Mike, hopefully that storm misses you; - I know what you're up against having survived the odd typhoon back in the day. Good luck and batten down the hatches.
Jamesbo, - I use what's called a "jeweler's visor", it's a visor with 5 power lenses in it. I've also got a magnifier built into the lamp I have, so together I get 10 power which is enough to see the facial expression on a flea as he has a dump. American watches are easy to build and relaxing; pieces fit, screws are uniform, parts are still available and problems with the drive mechanisms or balances are usually obvious. Same thing with 20th century Swiss movements. An old watchmaker warned me years ago never to take on any English Levers or Verge-Fusee style watches,(built in England before 1860) he said all they're good for is causing family problems and alcoholism. He was right. I built 3 this last weekend, and not one of them is 100% functional. (Admittedly, they all came to me with major issues and faults and were not running or had run in decades) Not only are the damn things held together with brass pins and luck, but each one has completely raw and hand-fitted parts, no two parts match. Google "verge fusee" and have a look at those wretched animals and tell me I'm not crazy.
Here's a look at the one I did last night, the first picture is of the movement outside of the case, the next one is the watch complete and running. I got 11 hours out of it before it died, it should run for 24. This watch was made in the 1790s by a guy named John Maston out of London and re-cased in 1828. It's for sale too, $200 US, as is. I'm not fooling around with this thing anymore.
Tonight was supposed to be a night off, but I have an article to write. Google Edmonton Numismatic Society "Planchet" and see what comes up if you're interested otherwise I won't bore you all with another non-Olds hobby (serious affliction) I have.

Have a good night all!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1146.JPG (1.31 MB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1147.JPG (1.14 MB, 4 views)
Old October 9th, 2018, 10:18 PM

Nailhead, well the movement looks pretty cool, even if it doesn't perform as expected. I found two Elgin pocket watches that my mom had after she died. I took them to a local jeweler to get them going again, and gave one to my oldest brother, and the other to my sister. The jeweler said that he had to work on the mainsprings. My brothers quit about a year later. It wouldn't wind up. Mike, the hurricane will be a category 4 when it makes landfall, will you be getting your mom out of harms way?
Old October 9th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Always room for one more

Good early morning everyone.

I must be crazy to be getting up at this hour. Used to be on my last night off I wouldn't even be in bed yet.

The hurricane was Cat 3 when I went to bed, and now it is Cat 4, or soon will be. I spoke with my Mom early yesterday and she didn't know what they were going to do. I spoke with her in the afternoon and she said they weren't going anywhere, the storm was turning and would probably miss them. That's my sister talking right there. Ignore it and it will go away. I would imagine when people wake up this morning and see how big the storm has gotten, there will be quite a few who rethink their plans and hit the road. The airport is now closed. The cartoon maps show Pensacola to be on the very outer edge of the hurricane warning, but the models show it going right over the top. I will again call this morning and see what their thinking is. Scot has people in that area as well, hope they have the good sense to beat feet up here for a little while.

Hump Day. We got rain yesterday afternoon, it isn't raining now but it's humid and fairly warm. Haven't heard what it's going to do today, I've been too busy watching everyone else's weather. Eh, it will be sunny and 65 at work.

Old October 10th, 2018, 03:15 AM

mawn'in

A little but not much yet

I've read FEMA checks in with local Waffle House to decide what's Really going on during storms

Nail head when I could see, I use to tie flies that's about as intricate work as I've eve done
I've got a college bud that buys and fixes up old clocks and sell them. He travels all over everywhere looking for what he wants.A few years ago he bought a clock out of a bell tower, Ya think he'd found a 69 H./O

I gptta get some kind more light on my new lap top key board, It's driving me nuts

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 10th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning all

Off to the Saville to do battle with some ice and rocks. At least today I wasn't feeling as terrible as yesterday. I somehow have contracted either a flu or cold and it's giving me all kinds of issues with congestion, vision and muscle control. Yesterday I had to bow out of the game which was a bummer. Today I made it to the 6th end before I started losing my vision and balance. I damn near wiped out Carl who was sweeping on the other side of the rock. We only played 7 ends and shook hands. Afterwards I was sitting on the change bench and that dreaded feeling came over me; which is a signal to immediately head for a sink or terlot. The sink was closer and thankfully no one else was around to hear and witness the carnage I dumped in that sink. That's bad, I never have done anything like that before. More antihistamines I guess.

Marc - I did clean off the driveway because we use it a lot but that's about it. Spoda get warmer next week so we'll see what happens. Last year when my oak lost it's leaves I did the nasty and used my leaf blower to blow them all out into the street. I'm sure all the neighbors down wind loved that. This year I went and bought a gas powered leaf mulcher on Kijiji. I've tested it and for an older machine I think I got a pretty sweet deal.

Jim - Laptops are for people who don't know the power of a desktop My keypad is wireless so it's not lighted or it would eat the batteries alive. I type by touch so for me it doesn't matter if I'm in a dark room or bright, I get the same results. Mebbe you should get one of those mini desk lights to shine on the keypad?

Glenn - What a neat idea; a fall cruise. Got a link to the site that's doing it? My missus wants to do a river cruise in Europe but I'm not big on it. Most of them are around 14 days and with airfare there and back it's easily in the $4500+ per person from here. I can think of a lot of things we can do with $9,000.00 and like you I'm retired so spending needs to have a check and balance. I'd rather spend some money on my 72 and get some of the power options installed, and the windows changed to tinted. I've got all the parts, just need the labor to do it. Some of it I can do, but the heavy stuff I would leave to the professionals.

Clint - Nice to see you again. Your brevity is as impressive as ever

Just got back from shopping with the missus but I feel really awful. I think I need to nap for awhile.
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:01 PM

Allan, Try some bourbon with honey
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rain and lots of it. Tiger is at his spot looking out the window for critters to bark at, but I don't think there will be any. I'm actually planning on hitting the hay early. We are all starting at 4 in the morning, since the VP is trying for a visit again. We should be done by noon, which will give me the whole afternoon to do nothing, if it's still raining.

I spoke with my Mom around noon, which was an hour and a half before the hurricane made land, and she said everything was fine, light rain, no wind. I texted my sister maybe an hour ago and she said the day was just an over-hyped rainy day. I honestly can't believe they got off that light but I'm sure glad. And I feel bad for the people east of them, they are screwed.

Allan it sounds like you have an imbalance of something in your body. Probably potassium. Dump that bourbon into some Gatorade and you'll be fine.

Okay that's it for me. Have a good night everyone.
Old October 10th, 2018, 03:58 PM

Mexico beach GOT Hammerd SE of panama city
Old October 10th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Allan, Try some bourbon with honey
I was going to but she gave me 'the look' so I knew better...

Mike - Nope, I don't think so. I just was playing too aggressively for what my body could tolerate with the cold/flu what ever it is. I know what you mean about deficiencies but I take a lot of pills in the morning and some of them are vitamins to counteract those deficiencies.

Jim, hurricane Michael is Category 4 now and made the news up here too. I just watched the breaking news of Mexico beach and Panama City Beach. That's incredible power of nature. I just hope that people are safe. Gonna be a long road to recovery there.
Old October 10th, 2018, 08:45 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Evening Everybody:
Allan, I hope this finds you feeling better. I might have misrepresented the cruise. It is just a cruise through east Texas in our cars to see the foliage. It is near the Louisiana/Texas border and is a very pretty part of Texas. It is organized by the NTOC and it looks like we will have about 15 cars. We will drive over to Sulphur Springs on Friday and spend the night and then start the Cruise on Saturday morning and end up in Marshal, Texas. I think the trip is about 135 miles./miles. We are supposed to be in the car corral at the State Fair this weekend but right now it is looking doubtful since there is a 50% chance of rain.
Mike, I hope all your family is okay. That is one helluva storm they had today.
Jim, you know you can plug a regular keyboard into your laptop or use a cordless keyboard. Might help.
Hope everybody has had a good day. It is almost bedtime.
Glenn
Old October 11th, 2018, 01:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

My Mom called about 730 last night and said things had pretty much passed. They got some wind and lots of rain, but it wasn't an enormous thing. She said there were limbs down in the neighborhood but no destruction. I'm relieved. She said everything was going to be back to normal today, schools, court, etc. Unbelievable.

We got a lot of rain at my house last night, no wind that I noticed. Others south of me said they had lots of wind and rain. Don't know how long it's supposed to last. I guess south Georgia is getting it pretty good.

So surprise surprise we all came in at 4 this morning only to see our email and that the VP stiffed us again. I'm guessing there won't be a third time. The lead isn't here yet so I don't know if we're leaving at noon or going until 230. Doesn't matter to me either way.

Okay might check in later. Things are ramping up and it looks to be a busy day. Have a good day everyone.
Old October 11th, 2018, 06:23 AM

mawn'in

We got a much needed soaking but no trees down. It's best not to phuque with mother nature.

Allan, I hope you're on the mend. Nothing worse than a hurling curler

Nail head, you must have the patience of Job 11 hours wow.

Mike, Was your sister born a Smurf?

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 11th, 2018, 06:38 AM

Evening all
Mike good to hear your family missed most of the action with hurricane Micheal.
Our friends in southern Georgia told me they only got the edge of it but had plenty of rain and a few broken limbs.
Hope you’re feeling better Allan.
I love pocket watches but I don’t think I would have the patience to work on one Marc.
Grandad had 2 and one is a wind up. I’ll let you know what brand when I go down next to his house. All I can remember is it’s old and very cool 😀
Here’s hoping the grass doesn’t grow at breakneck speed now it’s had some water Jim
Enjoy the cruise Glenn.
Being back at work stinks, would much rather not be here lol. But since I am I better get some work done,
Take care everybody,
Adrian
Old October 11th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Everybody:
Allan, I hope you are better. Since you haven't posted this morning I am afraid you may still be under the weather. Maybe you need some of the Jack Daniels that comes with the honey in it. Lucy and I just got back a short while ago. What a gorgeous day here. It is a beautiful blue sky with no clouds and 63 degrees with a high of 70. It was about 53 when we started our walk this morning and I though I needed a long sleeve jersey. Wrong. I warmed up pretty quick. Glad you boys in Georgia faired okay. What a storm. Adrian, it is always good hearing from you. Gotta grab a shower and get busy.
Glenn
Old October 11th, 2018, 10:24 AM

Mike, good to see that your mom & sis were out of harms way. Quite a mess down there. Allan? Get better bud. Flu season is supposed to be worse than last year, time for me to get a shot.
Old October 11th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Always room for one more

Okay Jamesbo, what does that mean? Smurfs came out after we were pretty much grown up.

Been sunny and nice all day. A little breezy at times but nothing to write home about. Supposed to be nice this weekend. Oh crap I won't be home. Eh.

Thanks guys. I'll pass along the nice words. Even now seeing how things turned out if I lived down there I would have bailed in an instant.

Stopped at the Awful house on the way home from work. We got done around 1. Probably about the same tomorrow. Went to the shop with the intention of moving stuff around. Fired up the DUKW to move it and then an old guy from the neighborhood came in to chat, so I didn't get anything moved.

No overtime in the morning so I'll feel like I'm sleeping in when I get up at 4. Hope everyone has a good evening. One more to go.
Old October 11th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi everyone,

It's been a hectic day and I'm not really feeling a lot better. Thank you all for the kind wishes for recovery; I'll do my best to land back on my feet sooner than later. The battle with fatigue and vision continues though so I suspect there may be something more to this than meets the eye. I woke this morning feeling like I had a gorilla on my back. Downstairs for my cornucopia of pills from the cupboard and then more OTC antihistamines. Then I was off to the Granite to hurl some rocks. No surprise that we got creamed. The team we played against were the club champions and they didn't miss a shot. We on the other hand had only myself and Bob making shots. Hard to win when the front end doesn't come to play with their A game.

Mike - I'm glad to hear your Mom is ok. Looking at the news reports from the panhandle I was really shocked at the damage that's been done. Some stations are saying power won't be restored for a couple weeks. Hopefully your Mom has supplies and electricity to wait out the aftermath. I foresee a run on groceries and bottled water. Always fun when someone comes to chat isn't it? Sounds like he was ok since you didn't run him over

Glenn - Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering where you would be cruising in a boat. Boy do I feel like Captain Dum Dum. Enjoy that cruise. Maybe I'll settle for another week or two in Meheeko come January instead.

Dan - Yup, flu season is probably early this year. Good thing I did my pneumonia vaccine in August. I got that new Prevnar 13 shot. It's supposed to be very effective. It's also strongly recommended for seniors so I figured I MAW. Now I have to get a followup shot for a different strain of pneumonia. There's always something the big pharma wants to inject in my arm. God knows I have 2 shelves in my kitchen cupboard dedicated to all the pills I have to take every day.

Adrian - Work is a beach sometimes. Hang in there mate, it pays the bills till you and the family can say goodbye to Oz. You familiar with Carl Barron? Here's one of his stage routines to hopefully make you smile. Love the beginning and end.