The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2020, 04:24 AM

Hi Guys, Mike I hope Tiger is doing better. Seems if they get into a itchy situation it is hard to get back to normal. I remember last time I got a itchy spot I had to really use my brain to make myself leave it alone, then it would subside. But of course our K9 pals can't think it out so they itch and dig until it's a real problem,,,, Anyway I feel bad for him (and you dealing with it...) I still miss our Jack, I do remember him having one itchy spell and it did subside. WOW, what a beautiful sky this early morning! I saw the twinkles of stars thru the blinds so I walked out on the deck and looked at the star filled sky- Awesome!
Old October 24th, 2020, 04:46 AM

Good morning guys,
Pretty chilly here this morning at 40 and it's only supposed to get up to around 51, but we're suppossed to at least get some sunshine around 11:00. Might be a good day for a little hiking at a local State Park if momma is up for it. I've been trying to come up with activities to keep her mind off of getting her throat ultrasound on Monday because I know it's worrying her!

Speaking of hiking, I've shared with you before our passion for hiking as a couple, it's our "thing". Have you heard about the fires in and around Rocky Mountain National Park that are threatening the city of Estes Park on the southeast side of the park? We're horrified, because Estes Park is where we always stay when we go there to hike. It's also where we got engaged during our first trip there, huge sentimental memories so we're praying the town is a spared!

Who knows where we're going with the rise of Covid again and the impacts we'll encounter over the winter, but we're already seeing shortages of normal household items like toilet paper, paper towels, etc that we normally order online through Sam's Club. Last time it got really bad we had a hard time finding decent meat at a reasonable price in the stores for several weeks. We went out to Lowes last evening and bought a small 5 cubic ft. chest freezer so we can stock up on meat and other frozen foods in case they start getting scarce again. We're going to start looking for deals on a 1/2-beef and whole hog, and splitting it with my girls and their families.

Well, I hope everyone has a great day and I'll check in with you later.
Old October 24th, 2020, 06:49 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah, slept great last night and slept in until almost 8. Thanks guys for the well wishes for Tiger. He's doing better but still licks that swollen spot, I tell him not to and that lasts about 5 seconds. Hopefully the medicine starts to take effect today.

Is Estes Park where the Stanley Hotel is? I was up that way many, many years ago. Didn't stay, just drove through. Don't remember the occasion. Used to be my plan was to move to Colorado but somehow that got sidetracked. Not sure I'd want to live there now, but I could have Clint work on my car.

Jamesbo I'm hunting for a new place again, but I don't want to live in Fulton County. I've heard bad things about their DMV. Still want to live in LA, but the drive to work would be terrible.

Okay plenty to do, and daylight is burning. Hope everyone has a great day.

Old October 24th, 2020, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Is Estes Park where the Stanley Hotel is? I was up that way many, many years ago. Didn't stay, just drove through. Don't remember the occasion. Used to be my plan was to move to Colorado but somehow that got sidetracked. Not sure I'd want to live there now, but I could have Clint work on my car.
Mike - Yes, the Stanley is in Estes Park. We've been to Estes Park 6 times since 2009. During our first trip out there in 2009 was when when we got engaged, and we stayed in the Stanley the first two nights we were there just so we could say we did. Beautiful old place and wonderful staff, but it was just too pricey to spend all 8 nights there.
Old October 24th, 2020, 08:03 AM
Running On Empty

The first time I was at Estes Park was one of our family vacations in 1960. We did the Wall Drug (Berma Shave), Pikes Peak, Mt. Rushmore, Colorado, then Route 66 from New Mexico back home to Illinois. Great trip lots of memories, first time we ever took a full two week vacation as a family. What a ride!

Mike - Friends do not let friends move to LA. Do you have a death wish?
Old October 24th, 2020, 08:06 AM

Norm, I think Mike is referring to Lower Alabama a.k.a The Redneck Riviera
Old October 24th, 2020, 08:09 AM
Running On Empty

James - Ah, well I didn’t see that coming. In that case it’s a match made in heaven.
Old October 24th, 2020, 09:28 AM

2020 has been exhausting!
Old October 24th, 2020, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - Ah, well I didn’t see that coming. In that case it’s a match made in heaven.

All I want is for Mike to be happy AND a video of the car haulers if/when he moves
Old October 24th, 2020, 09:47 AM
Always room for one more

Very funny guys. I'll be the car hauler, and make many trips. Ah, but it seems Lower Alabama will elude me for the foreseeable future. That's a lot of vowels in that word.

So the dogmobile needs attention but the Corvair is in the way. No problem, I'll finish up the Corvair and get it moved. Nope. This is yet another project that so far has gotten the best of me. And wouldn't you know it, I can't find my maintenance manual to see how the factory did it. I suspect they hung the mounts from a wire and built the car around them. I guess it's time to go to the Corvair forum, and get twenty different answers, as well as about a dozen people saying you just can't do it, and a dozen more saying it's so easy, if I weren't 2500 miles away I'd come help you.

This afternoon I'll be looking like the dog. Tongue hanging out and sitting dejected. But I won't be as pretty.

Old October 24th, 2020, 10:32 AM

Years ago, Fulton County send not 1 but 2 animal control people to my ex wife's house because she tossed the rabbies thing the vet gives you after your dog is vaccinated and didn't send it in with the fee for the tag. Her dogs never left the couch for long so she figured why bother.

She had to pay double, but I'm not sure it was as high a crime as a drug bust
Old October 24th, 2020, 03:15 PM

Good evening guys,
Well, we didn't go hiking, momma said it was too cold, whatever, we've started out before in the morning with it in the upper 20's and snow on the ground. I hiked by myself, around the yard behind the mower, not nearly as fun or scenic. Hoping it will be the last mowing for the year, but I'll leave the mower out to mulch leaves, it's easier than raking and bagging.

I'm not nearly as excited as I usually am about it, but the Big 10 football season starts today. I won't be able to stop myself from watching my Wolverines play this evening. Go Blue!
Hope everyone has a great evening.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 24th, 2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old October 24th, 2020, 03:38 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Years ago, Fulton County send not 1 but 2 animal control people to my ex wife's house because she tossed the rabbies thing the vet gives you after your dog is vaccinated and didn't send it in with the fee for the tag. Her dogs never left the couch for long so she figured why bother.

She had to pay double, but I'm not sure it was as high a crime as a drug bust
Rabies, James - rabies.

Two animal control officers to validate a rabies tag registration fee wasn't paid?

What ever happened to that B1TCH Beverly Hall? She was about the dumbest A$$-WIPE in ATL.
Old October 24th, 2020, 03:47 PM
Running On Empty

I looked her up. Turns out she croaked before they could legally send her up the creek.

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ne...Cze42IQTfYJOK/
Old October 24th, 2020, 04:30 PM
Always room for one more

Norm, maybe Jamesbo's exwife was Jewish...

Rain, and tons of it. Gave Tiger a bath this afternoon and got all cleaned up, started raining about an hour later. Also looked at the car some more, oh I hope I closed the garage door.

Chris I need to go on that hike as well. It's still gonna be awhile but since it's cooled off the grass isn't growing as much.

Just listened to an hour of Canon In D. Lord I could listen to that all night.

Time to settle in with a movie. Wish I had some popcorn. Eh, chocolate ice cream will have to do.

Old October 25th, 2020, 03:14 AM

A friend of mine used to keep his [now grown kids] horses in my horse pasture. He only didn't send them to the glue factory for sentimental reasons. They were very old and didn't look so great Anyway, the morning traffic do gooders regularly called Fulton County animal control and as required, If the get called they have to come by and fill out a report
I got on a 1st name basis with the lady and would say, " I guess you got another call on Leo" He's jes sleeping I'm not calling the back hoe"
Old October 25th, 2020, 05:27 AM

Weird story about horses.... My friend used to board horses at his place in the country. He had a really old one that the owners finally decided they wanted put down as it was old and ill. But they wanted my friend to do it. He called MSU animal lab as he had done before to donate the horse for research or whatever they did with them as he had done before with others. They were no longer taking horses for disposal. He is a real talker and got talking with them and they finally said the only way they would take dead horses was to help determine the cause of death. So he loaded the sick horse into the trailer, went and got his gun and did the deed, took the body over to the university and went in and filled out the paperwork for them to figure out the cause of death and leave the body. Of course as soon as they came out to get it off the trailer one of then said "That horse has been shot!" My friend said thanks and left the body with them... Sorry sort of a grim tale but that story has stayed with me. Jamesbo's story reminded me of it...
Old October 25th, 2020, 05:39 AM

Greg, The hole in the head is a give away
Old October 25th, 2020, 05:39 AM

Good morning guys,
Cool (44) and overcast right now and not supposed to get over 50 today. We're not supposed to see any sunshine, but at least there's a low chance of rain, unlike the forecast for Monday - Thursday where we have a pretty high chance of rain each of those days.

As much as I dislike shopping, especially in the age of Covid, we're headed to Sam's Club this morning around 0930. My wife's ordered as much online as she can, but there are just some perishable items and heavy bulk items you can't get online. Hoping we can get in and out quickly.

No big plans for today other than Sam's. I hope everyone has an enjoyable Sunday!
Old October 25th, 2020, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Weird story about horses.... My friend used to board horses at his place in the country. He had a really old one that the owners finally decided they wanted put down as it was old and ill. But they wanted my friend to do it. He called MSU animal lab as he had done before to donate the horse for research or whatever they did with them as he had done before with others. They were no longer taking horses for disposal. He is a real talker and got talking with them and they finally said the only way they would take dead horses was to help determine the cause of death. So he loaded the sick horse into the trailer, went and got his gun and did the deed, took the body over to the university and went in and filled out the paperwork for them to figure out the cause of death and leave the body. Of course as soon as they came out to get it off the trailer one of then said "That horse has been shot!" My friend said thanks and left the body with them... Sorry sort of a grim tale but that story has stayed with me. Jamesbo's story reminded me of it...
Greg - Although it is a grim tale, your friend did the right thing. It breaks my heart to see old animals that are ill and suffering be left hanging on in constant pain because their owner is too selfish to do the humane thing and put them out of their misery. The two issues that will raise my blood pressure more than any others are child abuse and animal abuse. Anyone who commits either is the lowest of the low in my book!
Old October 25th, 2020, 07:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Boy I could really get used to this sleeping in. I get to do it next weekend, too, but the next weekend I'm going to my friend's house and his wife is up with the chickens.

I don't have a horse story, except I was named after a horse. Except maybe I had this art teacher in the 7th grade, and she asked me to help her husband and her at their house do chores and whatnot. They had this rather swaybacked horse that was 26 years old. They didn't ride her anymore of course but she was in okay shape so she was more of a pet. I found this woman many years later on facebook and asked about the horse and she said the horse lived another 10 years. Okay so that was someone else's horse story.

Not raining now but everything is a muddy mess. Need to do the walmart thing and some cleaning up around the house. I decided to forego the Awful house this morning. Just wasn't feeling it.

The movie last night turned into Starsky and Hutch. Hadn't seen that in awhile. Watched two back to back I hadn't seen before.

Okay gotta get this show on the road. Hope everyone has a good day.

PS Happy Birthday Sandy!

Last edited by slantflat; October 25th, 2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old October 25th, 2020, 10:22 AM

Headed about 50 miles south of here yesterday with my brother and sister to my mom's old stomping grounds, Fennville & New Richmond, Mi. Removed dead flowers from the grandparents and aunt & uncles grave sites, took a couple of color pics, then got some apples, (Golden Supreme) tasty, and a big pumpkin, which I plan on carving later today, after football & laundry duty.

Old October 25th, 2020, 10:31 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Beautiful fall colors - nice picture. Sounds like a very nice autumn day.
Old October 25th, 2020, 11:10 AM

[QUOTE=1969w3155;1288944]Headed about 50 miles south of here yesterday with my brother and sister to my mom's old stomping grounds, Fennville & New Richmond, Mi. Removed dead flowers from the grandparents and aunt & uncles grave sites, took a couple of color pics, then got some apples, (Golden Supreme) tasty, and a big pumpkin, which I plan on carving later today, after football & laundry duty.
/QUOTE]

Dan - Beautiful picture. Always thought Michigan apples were the best. We had an orchard two miles from our house. They had a variety of very tart red apples called "Northern Spy" that I've never seen in a store that were always my favorite. Enjoy the nice fall wearher!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 25th, 2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old October 25th, 2020, 12:00 PM
Always room for one more

As much as I hate winter, I did always like the fall colors in the midwest. As a youngster we'd rake and rake and then jump in the leaves, thus redistributing the leaves all around the yard. Fun times.

So I was on my way to Walmart and thought, I might go past Awful house and see if anyone is there that I know. As it turns out, I pulled in anyway and was sitting there by myself and a friend of mine comes in, and then another friend comes in, and we were there about 3 hours jawing. They weren't terribly busy so I left the server a few dollars more than I usually would have. Kind of like rent on the table. Then I went to Walmart and was there about a half hour. My list is usually so long but when I get everything the cart looks so empty. But it lasts me all week.

I got some laundry to do as well, then it will be time to wind down. Tiger is doing great today, so there must be something to the $60 shampoo.

Old October 25th, 2020, 02:38 PM

Chris, There's a special place in hell of child/animal abuser

What I really don't understand [can't fathom] Is the way the kids have a total disregard for $$4 .

My step sons 'Friend" left this in my hard woods for 3 [maybe longer like 4 years] Hasta e a hundred bucks. When I hunted other than golf *****, I built my own outa scrap 2x4's

Old October 25th, 2020, 02:50 PM

Mike - Glad to hear Tiger is doing better!

Sam's Club was hell, way more people than we expected! Wife wanted to stock up on everything, especially meat now that we have the deep freeze. The bill was brutal. Good news is we should not have to go back for 5 or 6-weeks, maybe more!

Time to kick back and watch the KC Chiefs play. They're my adopted team since the Rams did us dirty here in StL. Patrick Mahomes is a complete magician at quarterback. I used to have season tickets during the Rams glory years in StL when they had the "Greatest show on turf" with Curt Warner, Marshall Faulk, and Issac Bruce, and won the Super Bowl and then made it again the next year but lost to the Patriots. My seats were in a nosebleed section, but it was still fun to be there in person.

Hope everyone has had a nice day!
Old October 25th, 2020, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, There's a special place in hell of child/animal abuser
Amen brother!!!
Old October 25th, 2020, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Sam's Club was hell, way more people than we expected!
Same thing at our local grocery store.

Time to kick back and watch the KC Chiefs play.
And there's the reason.

I had no idea as I don't follow sports but the clerk at the deli counter said they were extraordinarily busy with folks buying hot wings, taters, etc for game time. He said it was the busiest he had experienced in a LONG time.
Old October 25th, 2020, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Same thing at our local grocery store.

And there's the reason.

I had no idea as I don't follow sports but the clerk at the deli counter said they were extraordinarily busy with folks buying hot wings, taters, etc for game time. He said it was the busiest he had experienced in a LONG time.
Kenneth - No watching at the stadium these days, everyone's sitting at home with their snacks watching.

Has the hot weather finally broke for you folks? Hoping you've finally been able to get outside and have some fun!
Old October 25th, 2020, 09:23 PM

Kenneth - No watching at the stadium these days, everyone's sitting at home with their snacks watching.
Yeah, that's what the deli counter guy said about folks buying wings and such. Folks were buying lotsa snacks for in-home munching.

Finally summer is coming to an end. A low pressure system is blowing in and the the next few days are gonna be downright cold. Ha!

High temps are forecast to very, very, nice. Of course, they said 50% chance of rain and it's as dry as a bone, so time will tell on this as well.

Last edited by Fun71; October 25th, 2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old October 26th, 2020, 02:48 AM
Running On Empty

Wow, just wow. Yet, another for Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama.

Old October 26th, 2020, 05:12 AM

Norm, Here we go again Sure am glad I got my pasture seeds sowed and got the graves leveled and re seeded

Have a great day Olds friends
Old October 26th, 2020, 09:00 AM

The Northern Spy. used to make pies, usually one of the last to the farmers market. Dang, Norm (and everyone in another storms path!)
Old October 26th, 2020, 03:11 PM

Good evening guys,
It's 40 degrees and steady rain here, but it's an absolutely beautiful day here because my wife's throat ultrasound came back completely clear, they could not see anything abnormal! Thanks for everyone's positive thoughts and we'll wishes as we waited for this to play out. Hope everyone has a great evening.
Old October 26th, 2020, 03:23 PM
Always room for one more

Chris that is great news!! Praise be!

Hi everyone.

Okay day at work. Sort of drug on but we didn't bust our necks at all. Got out right at 2, then I had some business at the credit union to take care of. We are so lucky that we have a branch of the CU at the TOC (hangar) and that it's stayed open all these years. I guess they don't want to **** off the mechanics who keep the planes flying. Didn't do much when I got home. Tried to have a look at the Mercedes to see where water was coming in to the interior, didn't see much.

Norm we have a couple days to enact the George Bush hurricane machine and send the storm in another direction. Not sure I could stomach another one. From here on out no storm will be a big deal to my family and they will all get whisked away at some point.

Kenneth those look like acceptable temperatures. What will you ever do being able to be outside and not melt? When it's 100 do you drive around with the top down? Maybe wear a sombrero.

Well I'm tired tonight, so I'm just going to relax and hit the sack early. Hope everyone had a good start to the week.

Old October 26th, 2020, 03:52 PM

Chris that is great news!! Praise be!
Thanks Mike, your thoughts and prayers were much appreciated!
Old October 26th, 2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Wow, just wow. Yet, another for Louisiana/Mississippi/Alabama.
Yep, this will be #7 for the N'Awlinz area.

Kenneth those look like acceptable temperatures. What will you ever do being able to be outside and not melt? When it's 100 do you drive around with the top down? Maybe wear a sombrero.
The wife was complaining this afternoon that it was cold. I asked her if she wanted summer to come back already.

I try not to drive with the top down when it's blistering hot out.

No sombrero, but I do wear a wide brimmed hiking hat whenever I'm outside (dog walking, hiking, yard work, etc).
Henschel Hat Company Aussie Breezer, made in USA (St. Louis, Missouri) area.

Old October 26th, 2020, 05:24 PM
Always room for one more

You could wear the Urban Sombrero.

Old October 26th, 2020, 06:40 PM

Mmmm, yeah, no thanks. If I were to wear a sombrero it would be a flat brim type like Stevie Ray Vaughan always wore.