The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2021, 07:10 PM

Sorry to hear about the guy taking advantage of your good nature Mike. People like that will have their day. It might be fun to reply to his ad and offer him 100bucks less than he bought it from you. What a dink!
Take care.

Keith
Old June 6th, 2021, 02:27 AM

Mike, That sucks' Just wait for Karma to catch up with him

Through the magic of FB, I heard from the older sister of a friend of mine in grammar school, high school and college. Unfortunately her younger sister passed away from Parkinson's disease several years ago. She was the 3rd wife of Lewis Gizzard and wrote a book about the experience

Amazon Amazon

I didn't know him personally but read his column. often. I used to see him playing gin at a local country club and he seemed nice enough. Her book is less than complimentary. But as I've often said, "Divorce brings out the worst in both parties" He once said, "Any woman that would take your dog would cut ya" Not sure which of his exes he was referring to. He was pushing Carol Shelby for a record number of marriages
Old June 6th, 2021, 05:18 AM

Good morning guys,

Mike - I'm right there with ya brother, that guy is pretty despicable! He'll get his just reward some day!

James - I had never heard of Lewis Grizzard, so I had to read up on him. Apparently, although his column was syndicated in approximately 450 newspapers, he was primarily an Atlanta and Southern personality. Sounds like the dude was a "troubled" soul, who knows how much of it was his own doing??? He died a couple days after his 4th marriage, I'm not sure if it was his bad heart or the 4th marriage that killed him!

Well, the cruise-in event in Festus was fun yesterday afternoon and evening. It was well attended. The best part actually started around 6:00 pm when the cars, me included, started cruising up and down Main St., and there had to be at least a thousand local residents with their lawn chairs lining the Main St. sidewalk checking out all the cars. Good time had by all! Sorry, no pics from there this time, I was lazy and it was hot.

I did get a pic of a separate event that happened in my subdivision as I was getting home around 7:30. I guess I was feeling a little rowdy, and decided to test for the 1st time the validity of the 3.55 posi rear end my car was advertised to have. I still haven't validated the 3.55 gearing part, but it's definitely a posi! I'm sure my neighbors loved the ruckus!

Have a great day guys!
Old June 6th, 2021, 05:59 AM

--Nice pics of show, Chris, believe it or not my favorite is the Gremlin. My sister had a purple Gremlin back in the early eighties. It was a great car though it got no respect and we made fun of it. Norm, I'm with you on the motor/engine thing. I remember it always was the way you described. Funny thing though, now there is a mostly Mopar engine building shop in Lansing called Muscle Motors.....
-- I don't envy you, Dan, the prep is the worst part. Sorry to hear of your friends injury, Mike. Of course all ask what is a 80 something guy doing on the roof of a bus? Because in his mind he is fully able, I hate to say it but It sounds like something I would do..
--Granddaughter's graduation and open house went great, weather was sunny and hot but had a nice breeze it couldn't have been better.
Old June 6th, 2021, 06:01 AM
Running On Empty

James - I didn't realize Carroll Shelby was married seven times. There is a replica kit Shelby GT in the small mom & pop shop next door to me which is in for service. It's sporting a 427 and that's about all I can say about it since I'm not up-to-speed on originality, specs, etc. but it's a nice car. Lorrie Morgan ranks right up there with marriages, as well (five times I believe).

Chris - Light 'em up!

Old June 6th, 2021, 06:04 AM

No offense to my friends that can spell Zamboni

'

Chris,

Old June 6th, 2021, 06:15 AM
Running On Empty

Sonny Bubba June Bug Johnson
Old June 6th, 2021, 06:26 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
...what is a 80 something guy doing on the roof of a bus? Because in his mind he is fully able, I hate to say it but It sounds like something I would do.
Greg - Sounds like me, as well.
Old June 6th, 2021, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
--Nice pics of show, Chris, believe it or not my favorite is the Gremlin. My sister had a purple Gremlin back in the early eighties. It was a great car though it got no respect and we made fun of it. Norm, I'm with you on the motor/engine thing. I remember it always was the way you described. Funny thing though, now there is a mostly Mopar engine building shop in Lansing called Muscle Motors.....
-- I don't envy you, Dan, the prep is the worst part. Sorry to hear of your friends injury, Mike. Of course all ask what is a 80 something guy doing on the roof of a bus? Because in his mind he is fully able, I hate to say it but It sounds like something I would do..
--Granddaughter's graduation and open house went great, weather was sunny and hot but had a nice breeze it couldn't have been better.
Greg - Glad your Granddaughter had a nice day for her graduation and open house,, and that everyone had a nice time! Funny thing, my younger brother had a Gremlin, a pretty ugly green one, but it was one they stuffed that small V8 in and a 4-speed, it was actually pretty darn fast. However, that did not make it any less ugly and we still made fun of him! Thanks for the compliment on the pics.
Old June 6th, 2021, 06:39 AM

I would tell you again about my uncle Al, but I've told the story of him landing on Omaha so many times I'm sure it gets old
Old June 6th, 2021, 08:34 AM

James - I've seen the "Black Lines Matter" pic before, but it never gets old, certainly appropriate based on my shenanigans last night! Neighbors are probably pissed that I defaced our street, oh well, they'll get over it, or they won't.

I had a Great Uncle on my Dad's side who was a paratrooper that was dropped behind enemy lines on D-Day. Many of the guys in his platoon were shot-up pretty bad before they made it to the ground. He survived the drop only to later step on a mine that messed him up pretty bad. He didn't lose any limbs, but had to wear a colostomy bag the rest of his life and was classified as totally disabled. It didn't stop him from building and racing stock cars though. We had a paved banked oval track near where I grew up and we loved it when Dad would take us to watch "Uncle Bill" race!
Old June 6th, 2021, 08:41 AM
Running On Empty

My Dad dropped off his 1st group of soldiers onto Normandy beach on D-Day @ 0640 in one of those amphibious vehicles. He was a gunner's mate on a troop transport vessel (the vessel was commissioned for war time out of normal commercial maritime usage). When he told me stories of that day (in particular) he would say to me: "Norm, the beach became blood red as they day got longer." I think he made seven landings the first day.
Old June 6th, 2021, 08:42 AM
Running On Empty

James - It wouldn't bother me if you told the story another dozen times. A debt of gratitude to all those who witnessed that day.
Old June 6th, 2021, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
James - I didn't realize Carroll Shelby was married seven times.
Norm, I'm not certain but I believe one of them was REAL short . Like a couple of days

Like I've said before, The movie Ford vs. Ferrari makes Ken Miles look crazier than he really was and makes Shelby not look as crazy as he really was

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...helby-8868916/
Old June 7th, 2021, 06:22 AM
Running On Empty

Today's agenda

Stand still/remain still
Rotate around torso/Hip bump
Hoola Hoop rotation
Stand closer
Triangle arm profile
Shake hands/Swing Profile
Head behind ball
Head down
Power from torso/Power up (from ground)
Weight shift
Bunkers/Sand complete swing profile 2.5"-3.0" behind ball
Right arm pull-down/Attached to rib cage
Slow down down swing
Rotate torso before down swing (inside out)
Relax - Yeah right!

Old June 7th, 2021, 07:52 AM

Norm, Not too close or you're gonna get the dreaded "S"
Old June 7th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Running On Empty

I saw a Pro pull off a nice “S” during the tournament this past weekend.
43/40 I am not worthy!
Old June 7th, 2021, 07:41 PM

Good evening guys,
Not much traffic on here today. I had a family event most of the day and we just got home. If you haven't had enough smiles yet today, this should give you a good laugh! Hope you all had a nice day!

Old June 8th, 2021, 04:16 AM

Chris, ;Looks well fed to me
Old June 8th, 2021, 04:40 AM

--Hot here for the last couple days, not hot as Kenneth, but hot for us. Very nice actually. While we were at the granddaughter's open house the grandson was playing a baseball game at the divisional playoffs. He plays for St Johns High school ( a small town north of Lansing) . They won both games so now they are to play in the regionals in Sparta Mi. this Wednesday. I got tickets and we are going to go to that also, as long as it doesn't rain. He is a junior and plays a lot and is very good. I have driven the Olds much more than in previous summers, It is very dusty but I guess I won't wash it until I take it somewhere like a car show, or it gets really bad. Now from 20 ft. it looks Ok, just doesn't shine like it does when cleaned up, waxed, etc.
--Other day was driving old truck and noticed idle was really rough and stunk, (gassy). Opened hood and saw gas dripping out a shaft from carb. Not running out, but a small drip every 30 secs or so. Also smelled tail pipe and yes, gassy, too rich. Runs good when revved or cruising. I bought this Carter YF carb from a guy on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts , then rebuilt it and it has done fine for 4 years and 5,000 miles. I ordered another rebuild kit from Rock Auto and am going to rebuild it again. The kit I got is brand new in the box but is old, so was the kit I used before. Now that I am thinking about it, I hope the ethanol in the new gas isn't eating up the old seals, etc in the vintage rebuild kits??? Well it's a easy job so I'll do it and pay attention to the old rubber parts as I replace them, we'll see..... Ok enough hunt and pecking for me....
Old June 8th, 2021, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris, ;Looks well fed to me
Definitely, momma gives her too many treats!
Old June 8th, 2021, 06:09 AM

Greg - That's exciting about your Grandson's baseball team, good luck at the Regionals! Sorry to hear about the leaky carb on your truck. When you tear it down, if you suspect ethanol damage to the seals/gaskets, you might look into using a product called "Sta-Bil 360 Protection" in the future. I have been using it regularly in my '67 4-4-2. I have read several very favorable automotive reviews that say it really works at stabilizing ethanol, and eliminating the corrosive effects ethanol can have on your fuel system's seals/gaskets. In addition to eliminating the ethanol effects, it is also supposed to clean your entire fuel system. You use 1 ounce per every 5 gallons of gas. You can purchase a 32 oz. bottle online from Walmart for $14.55, and get free shipping on orders over $35. Or, if you subscribe to Amazon Prime, it is $14.54 for a 32 oz. bottle, free shipping for any amount. Since I run it in my motorcycles too, I usually buy 3, 32 oz. bottles at a time. JMO, but I believe the stuff really works.
Old June 8th, 2021, 06:31 AM

Good morning guys,
Boy, we are still in an unstable, stormy, wet weather pattern. We had isolated pop-up type thunderstorms across the entire St. Louis area yesterday, some very heavy. We are supposed to continue with the same scenario through Thursday. It's very warm and humid, and as we were coming home yesterday evening, and driving through the woods near our house, we could actually smell the mold in the air, yuck!

My most regular riding buddy and I have been trying to get out for a ride now for two weeks, but the weather will just not cooperate. It's looking like Friday might work weatherwise, but I don't know what he has going on yet. We don't have any other big plans in the near term so it will be nice not to be running somewhere for a few days. I really need to mow if it will ever stop raining long enough for the grass to dry out???

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old June 8th, 2021, 02:01 PM

Mike, Must be wrestling with truck brakes
Old June 8th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Sadly, the brakes remain in as-is (as-was?) condition. Since Saturday evening I've been flat on my back with sickness. Pretty much skipped over Sunday, did little on Monday, went to work today and had a miserable day, and went to the doctor this afternoon. Tiger has been very patient. The last time I had this croup I had just gotten Tiger and he was 1 years old. He completely shredded my bedroom and the dog room. I knew nothing until a few days later when I woke up and saw this mayhem and a beaming Tiger waiting to greet me.

Got some rain this afternoon. Now the sun is back out. Hopefully I'll feel better enough tomorrow to work on the truck some more. It needs to be all done in about a week and a half.

Well I'll see if I can catch up at all before bedtime. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old June 8th, 2021, 03:43 PM

Mike - I hope you feel better soon buddy!
Old June 8th, 2021, 05:17 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris. I was feeling better driving home from the office. Whatever that shot is really works wonders. I'll pick up the regular medicine tomorrow and start with that, I should be better in a few days. Plus my doctor is a super nice guy. Very personable, no nonsense but not rigid. We bicker back and forth about the Awful house. He says it's the worst place ever and I say I'm keeping going there. He just rolls his eyes.

It clouded up all of a sudden and we're getting quite a gully washer. I was talking to my Mom on the phone and it started getting dark and thundering. Hm. Pretty good indication of what was coming.

Okay bedtime for sure. No MASH, no passing GO, no collecting $200. Straight to bed. Good night everyone.

Old June 8th, 2021, 05:22 PM
Always room for one more

Oh update on my friend who fell off the bus. He was up there pressure washing it. He broke his back, broke his hand, broke his skull. I don't know if he's conscious or not. Please say a prayer for this man, his name is Clyde. God will know. Great guy, good friend, I wish he would have let someone else do the washing. I wouldn't wish a broken back on anyone but at least someone else wouldn't have been over 80. I drive past Clyde's church on the way home from work and the bus is now back there. I would have hated to have been the one to have retrieved it(but I'd have done it).

Old June 8th, 2021, 05:55 PM

Mike, Prayers sent for Clyde
Old June 8th, 2021, 06:17 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I cringe thinking of what Clyde endured. All the best to Clyde.
Old June 8th, 2021, 07:16 PM

Mike - You can rest assured that Clyde is in our prayers!
Old June 8th, 2021, 10:26 PM

Mike, hoping for the best for your friend Clyde. Pics from the Back To The Bricks tour. Even had some Olds show up. A '57 Bel Aire for Mike. https://photos.app.goo.gl/iMVayKjKHEkEJ17T8
Old June 9th, 2021, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Mike, hoping for the best for your friend Clyde. Pics from the Back To The Bricks tour. Even had some Olds show up. A '57 Bel Aire for Mike. https://photos.app.goo.gl/iMVayKjKHEkEJ17T8
Dan - Thanks for sharing the link to the pics. Of course the silver '67 4-4-2 caught my eye, but I also love the big 2-door Buick Wildcat convertible.
Old June 9th, 2021, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Dan - Thanks for sharing the link to the pics. Of course the silver '67 4-4-2 caught my eye, but I also love the big 2-door Buick Wildcat convertible.
X2 I'll take the Wildcat drop top
Old June 9th, 2021, 05:28 AM

Good morning guys,
Unfortunately, more periods of scattered thunderstorms forecast throughout the day. It's 70 degrees right now at 0700, and a very sticky 98% humidity. Supposed to get up to about 85 this afternoon with a "Realfeel" temp of 95. Also unfortunately, I was not able to mow yesterday. The grass dried just enough to mow twice yesterday, got my mowing clothes on, got out there, and it started to rain again both times, dammit! Maybe today, but doesn't look real promising???

On the positive front, my wife finally sold another piece of furniture yesterday evening. It had been a fairly long draught between sales. It was that mint colored, farmhouse style, display hutch. Since nothing had been selling, she came down $75 to get rid of it. She still made good money on it though, about $300 profit. We also picked up two antique cedar chests yesterday for her to refinish, both beautiful pieces with great potential.

Hope everybody has a great day!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; June 9th, 2021 at 07:21 AM.
Old June 9th, 2021, 10:51 AM
Running On Empty

Dan - Thanks for more pictures. I learned to drive with my Dad's 1964 Buick Wildcat. The Wildcat in your pictures may be a 1964. My Dad's was same exterior color but white interior, instead. Always a nice car to drive in H.S. parades, homecoming activities. Unfortunately for my poor Dad, it was also the car I learned how to brake torque and spin the rear-end. I broke the drive-shaft in half one evening. My Dad had the patience of a saint.

40/41

EDIT: My Dads' was a 1964 and had a 425ci. It looks like the one in Dan's pictures has the 430ci so I suspect the one in the picture is a 1969 maybe.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; June 9th, 2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old June 9th, 2021, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
40/41
Nice round Norm! My Dad let alot of the crap my brother and I did slide too, and just chalked it up to boys being boys I think. He was better to us than we deserved, that's for sure!
Old June 9th, 2021, 12:33 PM

Something flung a crav'in on me for Salmon a la Taku Lodge .Alaska Where for a small fortune, you can fly on a sea plane out to this log building in the middle of no where and get salmon grilled and basted with butter, white wine and brown sugar. some baked beans some cole slaw and a cheap glass of wine. The grills where they grill the salmon have claw marks all over them where the bears come down to rake brown sugar drippings out o the coals ][ at night after they cool down]

Is the food worth it? not really but the view from the base of the glacier is

If you like salmon, give it a try, It's my favorite way to fix it
Old June 9th, 2021, 03:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Day two of finishing first. Last week I didn't get to my number at all, because I had a very slow wall guy. This week I have a fast one. Fast and accurate. I think I can count on one finger the number of wheels he's had come back since I've been in the shop. Anyway we all finished up by lunch and then hung out until 130 when the lead told us we needed 3 737 radials. They are needed in an outstation. If I were a betting man I'd say those three we jumped right to building are still in the shop in the morning. Eh, it was a non-effort, really.

Jamesbo the lodge looks cool. Do they know the food isn't worth the trip, or do they count on the scenery to pick up the slack?

Dan that Chev is beautiful. I'd say the Wildcat is indeed a 69. Funny, pretty much all of the General's 69s have clear little lenses for front marker lights, but the Corvair has orange. The clear ones were used in 68.. If you peruse the 1970 Oldsmobile brochure you'll see that the Vista Cruiser has the 69 marker lights, instead of the spears at the bottom of the fender. Must be pre-production.

Thanks everyone for praying for Clyde. I appreciate it and I know he would as well. He's a good Christian and a generous person. A little outspoken, but there's nothing wrong with that.

So no brakes today. I had to pick up my other medicine at Walmart so I went there and decided to pick up a few other things. That was a big mistake. Apparently the Wednesday crowd is the same as the Sunday crowd. Standing in line waiting on stupid people I found myself rocking back and forth like goof. Well, as long as I didn't blow my stack I guess I did okay.

Time to relax a little. I slept way better last night and had a good day at work. I expect this trend to continue. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old June 9th, 2021, 03:27 PM

Mike, The scenery is spectacular . The food is good but the total package is expensive. I guess ya get what ya pay for [if your lucky}