The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2024, 05:37 PM

Cool story Norm Thanks for sharing that.

He saw something in you and shared his style and himself. As Gospel, Mr Akins spirit living on.... thanks for the forward so it can remain living in us all that appreciate.

I always looked back on a few road trips we use to take as Mom Dad and us kids. Mineral Point "Shot Tower" was amazing to visualize that process.
Old March 19th, 2024, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Maybe start here Chris

https://wowdiamonds.com/jewelry/gemstones/

I have swung and missed, Make'r Happen
Thanks Keith, I'll check it out. I looked on their website and I couldn't find anything about Gem cutting,, but that doesn't mean they don't do it, or at the very least I'd bet they could direct me to some place that does.
Old March 19th, 2024, 05:51 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got back late last night. Had a good trip. No troubles with the flights. My friends are all good. We had a great time at the car show, about 1000 cars. Mom did okay while I was gone, my sister came up and also her daughter and family. They had a nice visit. Tiger was in jail the whole time.

So I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm off all week still so I can get some things done. Supposed to be nice all week. The yellow pollen started while I was gone, which I figured it would, and the grass has gone into warp speed growing. So I need to get the mowers going, I need to get car stuff done, and of course work on the houses.

Hope everyone has been well. Glad I went, glad I'm home. Have a good evening everyone.

Old March 19th, 2024, 05:59 PM

He saw something in you and shared his style and himself. As Gospel, Mr Akins spirit living on.... thanks for the forward so it can remain living in us all that appreciate.

I always looked back on a few road trips we use to take as Mom Dad and us kids. Mineral Point "Shot Tower" was amazing to visualize that process.
x2, Great story Norm. He sounds like a very nice gentleman.

Keith - I believe I may have mentioned this, but one of my funnest Geology field trips was a 4-day trip to Baraboo. Denzer Quarry, Parphrey's Glen, and of course Devils Lake were on the agenda, as well as checking out some of the major Glacial Moraines in the area. It didn't hurt that I met a really hot blonde that weekend, that I ended up dating on/off for about 3-years.
Old March 19th, 2024, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Got back late last night. Had a good trip.
Mike - Glad you had a nice time and got home safely!
Old March 19th, 2024, 06:08 PM

Nice story. Norm.
Old March 19th, 2024, 06:10 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - During my tenure w/ NPS on BNR (Buffalo National River), Arkansas (1981-1983) I became involved w/ mapping caves for USGS. I've spent enormous amounts of time crawling through ~30-40 caves in the Ozark Plateau (logging maybe 200 hrs - 300 hrs). Off the beaten path alongside a creek I spotted a cliff/ledge w/ a 6' wide x 3' high opening. This creek ran behind the old home NPS provided to me in 1980 while I was a summer volunteer as an undergrad. One weekend I decided to check it out. This small house had two bedrooms & I had a roommate for ~1 month who was a NPS Park Ranger (until they found him permanent quarters) whose name is Mike (from Missouri) & was raised on the Current River. So, I tell Mike I'm going to explore this opening and he wants to go w/ me. We head out the house stomping our feet heavily (to scare off the rattleheads & coppermouths. The opening is on a ledge/cliff ~ 8' high. We head in. This isn't a large cave (not of the type with 9-10 large rooms), but instead only ~3' tall and ~15' wide - maybe two small chambers (not rooms). There's a small ledge in this cave. The bottom of the cave is solid Osage Clay. Someone or some people had sat in this cave. There were 5-6 Osage Clay caricatures (figurines) about 12" tall which looked like something out of the Mayan civilization. Each 12" tall caricature/figurine was well formed/carved with a male and (1) an enormous ***** ~16" tall or a female (2) with a vagina about the same size. We were ******* nuts thinking of who carved these things - kids? Teenagers? Spelunkers? Locals? What? Let me be clear - we're in the middle of the Ozark Plateau of Arkansas - there is literally no one around/about. Yeah, we told a few people and that was about it. Mike left at the end of the month, I headed back to Illinois as a none-degree grad student until I wrote a grant, submitted it to NPS and they hired me full-time to conduct a
Benthic Invertebrate Benthic Invertebrate
research study on the BNR.

The following year I'm a full-time Research Biologist working for NPS-BNR (for the next 3 years). I reside in a different (grandfathered) home along the BNR but elect to go back and check out that cave I found. The caricatures/figurines are gone; but.............to my surprise, while on my back on the Osage Clay floor of the cave I look around at the ceiling only about 3' above my head and what do I see? I see an Arthropod fossil nearly completely intact measuring about 3' long and about 1' wide on the ceiling of this small cave chamber. Now look, I'm studying living benthic invertebrates not fossils; and, I hadn't had any formal knowledge of geological formations at that time. I told several people & it created quite the stir. A couple of the people I told were a friend I became an acquaintance of @ The Univ of Arkansas, a personal friend from the Univ of Missouri, the NPS, and another friend from the Univ of Oklahoma (who would later become my graduate school advisor several years later). I have no clue whatsoever happened with this information.
Old March 19th, 2024, 06:15 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - The lead mines were on my uncle's farms ~7 miles outside (West) of Shullsburg, WI. BTW, I have cousins (on my Mom's side) in every county in Wisconsin. They grew up on Potosi & Holiday beer.
Old March 19th, 2024, 06:16 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Mike - Glad you had a nice time and got home safely!
^^x2^^
Old March 19th, 2024, 06:18 PM
Running On Empty

It didn't hurt that I met a really hot blonde that weekend, that I ended up dating on/off for about 3-years.
Chris - Damn near all the women in Wisconsin are blonde - Dontchaknow, eh?
Old March 19th, 2024, 06:27 PM

Norm - That was a great story! Man, it never ceases to amaze me the $hit you've seen and places you've been! 👍
Old March 19th, 2024, 06:28 PM
Running On Empty

Norm - That was a great story! Man, it never ceases to amaze me the $hit you've seen and places you've been! 👍
I've lived my life as a very inquisitive tourist.
Old March 20th, 2024, 02:51 AM

Talking

X2 Norm
Yes Chris I do remember you mentioning the Gal from Baraboo. Her grandfather or father was a Postmaster here for a stint

Nice you have the rest of the week off Moike, gives you some time to re-settle. Gdday
Old March 20th, 2024, 03:35 AM
Running On Empty

Keith - I've never been to Mineral Point; although, Mom, my Aunts & their cousins/friends often spoke of Mineral Point as a place they'd go to. I just read about the shot tower - very interesting.
Old March 20th, 2024, 07:03 AM

Yes Chris I do remember you mentioning the Gal from Baraboo. Her grandfather or father was a Postmaster here for a stint
You sir, have a very good memory, Exactamundo!
Old March 20th, 2024, 12:55 PM

Old March 20th, 2024, 12:59 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Nice. You're primarily using the trailer for plot soil removal/transportation? I can't recall.
Old March 20th, 2024, 01:58 PM

When the opening and closing company opens a new grave, The 1st scoop outlines the grave I have them put the 1st scoop of sod on the trailer then use it on a grave that needs grass. Saves on grass seed and I can do it When seed won't germinate. Makes for a nicer looking cemetery.
Old March 20th, 2024, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

I thought it had something to do w/ removal of soil from the cemetery plot but couldn't recall. So, the 1st scoop of sod which comes off the cemetery plot is loaded into the tipper trailer & remains on the tipper until it's used on another perhaps different cemetery grave or the same grave after closing?
Old March 20th, 2024, 02:21 PM

A different one usually before the donor grave is even closed.. They usually open the day before and the sod does better the quicker it gets put back down. no chance of drying out I have an area where I can store and water but that's moving it twice.

The up/ down switch is magnetic and has a long cord so you can attach it to the tractor fender if you want

Last edited by Jamesbo; March 20th, 2024 at 02:41 PM.
Old March 20th, 2024, 03:24 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice trailer Jamesbo. Since it dumps you can run all over town and collect scrap metal and then dump it at the recycler.

Beautiful day today. Perfect temp, unperfect pollen. For some reason it doesn't seem to be affecting me at all. I know it just started. No painting or washing cars for a few weeks. I may wash the pickup tomorrow anyway, I was driving down the street and the road crew was cutting the pavement to put in the trip lines, and the one guy was blowing the crack out and all over the side of passing cars. So now the pickup looks like I've been driving up north in the salt.

So I got new tires for the blue van today. Looks nice. Rides the same. I had a set of Chevy truck rally's I wanted the new tires put on and they were in the back. The guys couldn't figure out how to open the side door. They were pulling and yanking on it and I said, let me go out and help before they break something. Then they couldn't get it closed. Ah, youth. I know it was built before they were born.

Keith that's funny, that's about how my name comes out. One of my buddies is Michael as well, he goes by Mick. Probably easier.

So rain Friday, gonna try to get some mowing started tomorrow. Air in the tires, fresh gas, off I go. Gonna try and get my front yard to look nice, with fertilizing and all that. I'm no lawnsmith, hope I do okay.

Well have a good evening everyone.

Old March 20th, 2024, 03:49 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
The up/ down switch is magnetic and has a long cord so you can attach it to the tractor fender if you want
I saw/noticed that long black cable in the box in an earlier photo & wondered if it was attached to the (-) battery post - couldn't see it in its entirety. So, that's what that long cable is. It's the cable for the up/down SW and has a magnetic back to it so you can hold/clip it to the tractor fender or thereabouts. Cool.
Old March 20th, 2024, 03:57 PM
Running On Empty

About 2-3 weeks ago I began hitting the landscape (lawn grass) hard w/ pre-emergent Tenacity herbicide w/ a hand (2 gallon) pump sprayer for ~5 days off & on. Then one morning last week w/ about zero wind I sprayed (20 gallon pneumatic liquid sprayer) the entire lawn (~1/2 acre) w/ 2,4-D amine. Lawn is shaping up just fantastic this year. I caught the spraying right when pre-emergents were turning to emergents. With the increased daylight and increase in temps. it looks awesome. Both oak and pine pollen have begun falling - everything is covered in yellow/green pollen. Azaleas are starting to bud (some opening), white Forsythia is in full bloom, Holly bushes, shrubs/trees are setting flowers and the aroma is absolutely awesome - sweeter than lilac - fills the air, every type bee known in the area swarming the Holly's.
Old March 20th, 2024, 04:37 PM

The solar trickle charger is what is attached to the battery post
Old March 20th, 2024, 04:57 PM

Azaleas are starting to bud (some opening), white Forsythia is in full bloom, Holly bushes, shrubs/trees are setting flowers and the aroma is absolutely awesome - sweeter than lilac - fills the air, every type bee known in the area swarming the Holly's.
Meanwhile in Michigan we are forecast to get 7+ inches of snow on Friday.
Old March 20th, 2024, 07:07 PM

Our Friday forecast is 84 degrees.

I miss winter already.
Old March 20th, 2024, 10:22 PM

Jim, how do you avoid hitting a previously occupied spot?
Old March 21st, 2024, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Jim, how do you avoid hitting a previously occupied spot?
sorry I don't Understand the question.
Old March 21st, 2024, 02:53 AM

Nice job on the trailer Jim I like the idea of the solar trickle charger. Neat set up
Old March 21st, 2024, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
sorry I don't Understand the question.
As I understand it, your natural cemetery is no headstones, no burial vault, just a simple casket. How do you keep track of where previous internments are so you don't dig into them?
Old March 21st, 2024, 01:44 PM
Running On Empty

As I understand it, your natural cemetery is no headstones, no burial vault, just a simple casket. How do you keep track of where previous internments are so you don't dig into them?
Jim's place (Milton Fields) provides several options - toss your limp dead piece of meat under a Dogwood tree (no casket), drop you in a hole w/ or w/o a box/casket (w/ or w/o a tree), drop you in a hole w/ or w/o a casket and/or w/ or w/o a burial stone, or sprinkle your ashes (to be used as free fertilizer for Milton Fields - they should pay you for this) on topsoil or bury your crispy ashes w/ or w/o an urn, w/ or w/o a headstone, &/or bury your crispy ashes under a Dogwood tree.
Old March 21st, 2024, 03:12 PM

In Georgia law, there are no separate laws regarding a green cemetery we have the exact same laws any cemetery has [cut the grass, keep records, put funds into a perpetual care trust fund etc] the only thing different is our rules and regs with the sec of states office say, No embalming, no vault and only biodegradable caskets or shroud/ We do allow flat granite markers but to answer your question, our surveyors place numbered disc on rebar in the ground in the center of 4 lots so around the disc are numbered lot for 4 and A B,C, D going clockwise. When we sell a lot the buyers gets a certificate of interment [rights to be buried] with the number and letter of the lot he/she bought and i mark the lot sold on my plat[see attached. Hash mark means sold doubled mean occupied We take a whole lot and divide it into 4 for ashes [see lot 5 D in attached.] We keep a rather redundant set of record, on paper, electronically and in a cloud listing owner and who is buried where both by lot number and alphabetically

Last edited by Jamesbo; March 21st, 2024 at 03:37 PM.
Old March 21st, 2024, 03:26 PM
Running On Empty

Hurts my brain viewing sideways...

Old March 21st, 2024, 03:35 PM

The top pic is sideways. We have 6 sections and have sold close to 1000 lots our future capacity is approximately around 5000. Since I know Norm is going to ax. Sections 1&2 the lots are 10x10 because w/0 vault I was afraid of digging a new grave close to an older one might cause a side wall cave in. My opening and closing company convinced me it was a waste of space. So,starting with sections 3 all lots are 10'x6' plenty big with 3' between graves
sorry you asked 😐
Old March 21st, 2024, 03:50 PM
Running On Empty

Tombs, mummies, pyramids, embalming, cemeteries, burials & such are bizarre. Justification for such activities strikes me as peculiar. Then again, those who ascribe to placing humans in a separate category of animals strikes me as totally bizarre. When folks were hypothesizing about creatures from outer space, other intelligent life forms, extraterrestrials building the pyramids I thought to myself - huh, why? Other world intelligent life forms would waste their time building pyramids to bury human Earth habitat corpses? These same people propose the Earth is flat I'm certain of it.
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:18 PM

FWIW Embalming was invented before refrigeration during the civil war to ship union [mostly officers.] back home to be buried. With preset day refrigeration it isn't needed. Last week we buried a gentleman who passed away in Italy 8 days after he died w/o any embalming
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:20 PM
Running On Empty

Truthfully, embalming was invented one hell of a lot earlier than just prior to the development of refrigeration. Mummification is a method of embalming.
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Truthfully, embalming was invented one hell of a lot earlier than just prior to the development of refrigeration. Mummification is a method of embalming.
i was referring to preset day embalming not ancient mumification but technically I suppose mumification.could be considered an extreme form of preservation of part of the body. I'm just not sure it's still an option.https://www.si.edu/spotlight/ancient-egypt/mummies

Last edited by Jamesbo; March 21st, 2024 at 04:31 PM.
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:30 PM
Running On Empty

I'm rather certain embalming is the act of removing the greatest amount of water moisture contained w/in an organism and inserting a substance with the least amount of water moisture in order to preserve integrity of the cell structures contained w/in the organism.
Old March 21st, 2024, 04:36 PM
Running On Empty

Mummies had their internal organs removed - like cleaning a fish - removal preserves surrounding flesh and lessens decomposition of cells because it's water which renders a non-living organism to decompose. Remove water you remove decomposition.