The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2024, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Raised center section of garage awning to level & fabricated/installed new treated support brackets (yesterday), finished installing shingles & began caulking at end of day today.
Good deal Norm, you're almost there. Nice job! 👍
Old March 7th, 2024, 03:52 PM

Jim - Nice. Is there a single ram or dual rams to hoist the dump box?
single
Old March 7th, 2024, 04:40 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Good deal Norm, you're almost there. Nice job! 👍
Dodging thunderstorms/rain showers every other day has provided an opportunity for muscles/bones to take needed timeouts.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
single
Are you happy? That trailer is the cat's meow.
Old March 7th, 2024, 04:47 PM

Dodging thunderstorms/rain showers every other day has provided an opportunity for muscles/bones to take needed timeouts.

Are you happy? That trailer is the cat's meow.
yes
Old March 7th, 2024, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Mike - Here's what I'm thinking. If you have a deck off the main level, but without stairs down to the backyard, first put in a set of stairs down to the backyard. If you already have stairs, you're a step ahead. I'd then put in a flap type doggy door from the interior to the deck. They're easy to install, even I could do it, and not expensive. Then I'd fence in an area in the backyard large enough for him to do his business, with a gate to the rest of the backyard. Then in the fenced in area I'd put down a good layer of sand (maybe 3") to alleviate the mud issue. Then put a decent sized (5' by 5') piece of artificial turf in front of the stairs to knock the sand off his feet before he comes up. Just my 2-cents. I think this would work as long as you can get him to use the doggy door.
I'm still leaning in this direction...

Old March 7th, 2024, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by otto72

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/txf2u...?feature=share
I seem to recall something about old dogs and new tricks 🤔 but hey, if Tiger will get onboard, problem solved!
Old March 7th, 2024, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by otto72

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/txf2u...?feature=share
I can’t get my boy dog to drop the ball to play fetch. He is a ball hog and keeps it for himself. No way is he gonna learn how to do that toilet stuff.

But it doesn’t matter as I have a doggie door so he can go outside at will. He did learn to do that, thank goodness.
Old March 8th, 2024, 04:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Love the video of the dog using the toilet. I've seen other ones as well. Pretty sure Tiger isn't going to learn that.

Thanks for the idea Chris. The purpose of the potty room is that Tiger is still "in the house." He can't be outside of the house unaccompanied, he's pretty resourceful and if he got out of the yard and I wasn't home, I'd never see him again. Lots of people have suggested a doggie door. It's a good idea but not this time.

Tiger goes for shots tonight, which is a good thing because his rabies tag has been expired for a few weeks. I was just waiting on getting all his shots at once. We go in at 5 this afternoon, so we'll go to Awful house for dinner and go to Mom's later on. So that will be nice, I haven't been to AH at night for months.

Well the weekend is upon us. Hope it goes well for everyone.

Old March 8th, 2024, 05:05 AM

Headed norte Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old March 8th, 2024, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Thanks for the idea Chris.
Mike - You're welcome, sorry that won't work for ya. I guess I didn't realize Tiger would try and find a way out of a fenced back yard. I guess another possible solution would be to erect one of those 8ft privacy fences around the designated potty area at the bottom of the stairs. Surely he couldn't jump one of those?
Old March 8th, 2024, 06:33 AM

If he’s a digger, he could go under.
Old March 8th, 2024, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
If he’s a digger, he could go under.
Very true. Adds a whole other variable to the problem if he is.
Old March 8th, 2024, 09:17 AM

Just finished repairing a drippy outdoor faucet, flushing the water heater, and installing a new anode rod.

I installed a new water heater in November 2021 and I’ve been periodically checking the anode rod to see how long it lasts as I have never replaced one before, so no idea on life span. I want this water heater to last longer than the previous ones. This morning’s check found the magnesium almost completely consumed, so the replacement rod that I bought along with the water heater went in.

I am SO glad that I accessed and removed the original anode rod prior to installing the water heater. That thing was in so tightly I had to wail on it with the air impact wrench for a solid 5 minutes before it came loose. No way could I have done that after the installation. I put the factory anode rod back in “hand tight” with a ratchet, and that made it easy to remove and check.
Old March 8th, 2024, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I am SO glad that I accessed and removed the original anode rod prior to installing the water heater. That thing was in so tightly I had to wail on it with the air impact wrench for a solid 5 minutes before it came loose. No way could I have done that after the installation.
Way to think ahead Kenneth, sure paid off for you. Nice job! 👍
Old March 8th, 2024, 10:18 AM
Running On Empty

New water heater 2003. I've replaced anode twice - (2013/2023) - routine H2O heater maintenance. Any anode I've ever replaced required SIGNIFICANT wrenching. I have a 3' HD hollow pipe I place over a 16" breaker bar + socket to gain ~3.5' of extended leverage & then it takes every muscle to break them loose. I've never been lucky enough to install one hand tight w/ a ratchet - they always leak from the pressure. I've always had to put the full whomp *** on them.
Old March 8th, 2024, 10:37 AM
Running On Empty

Starting to get a tad chilly & windy - called it a day. Caulking w/ water soaked hands in chilly weather dries out my fingers quickly.

I've never been a big PC gamer. With the advent of the PC when I was in college, I used to play Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) on an AT PC (512KB) 5.5" floppy. About 25 yrs. ago I purchased Myst & loved it. Over the years Myst s/w programmers didn't really port Myst over to the 32-bit & 64-bit Windows OS. Last night I found an official version of Myst compatible w/ Windows 11 requiring no tweaks, tricks, etc to get it to run. Love playing it. Can't wait to run through Myst & the follow-up Myst games. Psyched.
Old March 8th, 2024, 10:45 AM

I was mapping how long it took for the anode rod to be consumed as all the information I read said it depends upon the water quality, if you have a water softener, etc. So no way to know how long it would last without mapping it out myself. And now I know.
Old March 8th, 2024, 10:51 AM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Agree. Depends almost entirely on mineral constituents of the H2O. I installed a H2O softener four years after my home purchase. I still had better than 1/2 anode remaining on my last two anode replacements. Only issue I've experienced w/ this H2O heater has been failure of upper heating element ~15 yrs. ago.
Old March 8th, 2024, 12:05 PM

I am losing copper main pipe in my house so a new mains run system is in order, and I'll do the w/h at the same time.
Old March 8th, 2024, 12:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
I am losing copper main pipe in my house so a new mains run system is in order, and I'll do the w/h at the same time.
John - What do you mean you're losing copper main in your house?
Old March 8th, 2024, 02:52 PM

John - What do you mean you're losing copper main in your house?
pinhole leaks from oxidation.
Old March 8th, 2024, 03:56 PM
Running On Empty

pinhole leaks from oxidation.
Ah...the main copper pipe in your house requires replacement. You doing it yourself?
Old March 8th, 2024, 07:33 PM

Ah...the main copper pipe in your house requires replacement. You doing it yourself?
Hell no.
Old March 9th, 2024, 04:09 AM

steak with hotel d' maitre butter, baked potato, caramelized onion with romaine salad with evoo, balsamic vinegar, Dejan mustard and parmesan regiano

Last edited by Jamesbo; March 9th, 2024 at 04:13 AM.
Old March 9th, 2024, 06:26 AM

Jim - That's some gooooood eatin. 👍
Old March 9th, 2024, 08:38 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Yum, yum.
Old March 9th, 2024, 09:45 AM

I wish we had a function to elect/replace moderators.
Old March 9th, 2024, 10:29 AM

I wish we had a function to elect/replace moderators.
Because? lets here it
Old March 9th, 2024, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Because? lets here it
I don't think it's allowed to discuss openly, and that's another part of the issue. I'll send you a PM if you want to know.
Old March 9th, 2024, 11:15 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Looks like it's lightening up out, supposed to hit 70 but it better hurry. Glad the time changes tonight.

Gosh John, a moderator that is giving you grief? I bet I can guess who it is.

I've read a German Shepherd can scale an 8 foot fence pretty easily. Tiger has not read that. I always go out with him and if he stands up on the fence I tell him to get down. If a dog does something he will continue to do it, and I don't want him to learn that. He never has been much of a digger. But again...

So I guess I need to look up water heater maintenance. I put my water heater in (at Mom's) right after I moved in, which was 05. Haven't touched it. The overflow valve leaks then doesn't, but it still heats up well. If the rods that are inside are supposed to be consumable, I'm guessing there is nothing left of them. Do I mess with it now or wait until it gives up and I put in a new one? It's electric if that matters.

Gonna paint this afternoon. Batman the original movie is on tonight at 1030 and I'm going to watch it. I'm not really a fan of Batman but I love, love the Batmobile. If I had an extra buck fifty, I'd call that guy in Indiana and have him make me one.

Okay breaktime is over. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old March 9th, 2024, 12:37 PM

I don't think it's allowed to discuss openly, and that's another part of the issue. I'll send you a PM if you want to know.
Please do
Old March 9th, 2024, 12:56 PM
Running On Empty

I think the only thing I'll do today is turn my clock forward.
Old March 9th, 2024, 03:58 PM
Running On Empty

No
Old March 9th, 2024, 05:54 PM

I’m glad we don’t mess with the time here in Arizona.
Old March 9th, 2024, 09:14 PM

Pizza attempt 3.

This time, I remembered to grease the top of the pan, and remembered to not get any juices on the bottom of the pan. I drained the burger/onion/pepper mix as best I could, and the mushrooms. My issue is I need to make sure I have adequate crust all the way around, because if it boils over and drips, it smokes. This time, I confirmed my smoke alarm works, and the company called me in about ten seconds. The agent laughed hard at when he asked if everything was ok, and I said, yes, there is no fire, I'm just cooking enthusiastically. Had to figure out how to clear the system.

Damn good pizza, lots of leftovers.

Old March 9th, 2024, 10:10 PM

I was told that corn meal will prevent the crust from sticking to the pan.
Old March 10th, 2024, 03:03 AM
Running On Empty

John - Pizza looks delicious. Always an adventure baking new items especially when there exists several variations of baking styles. I think you have enough pizza for quite some time. I'll mention the best method I've found for reheating pizza is to preheat both the oven and a wrought iron skillet to 450°F, place as many pieces or one large piece of the pizza pie on the skillet & heat for no more than ~4 minutes. It yields a very crispy crust thoroughly heated ready to eat. A microwave is the absolute worst for reheating pizza.
Old March 10th, 2024, 05:18 AM

Mike, my Dad had a German Shepherd that would take a running start and run right up a 6" diameter tree. She would go up about 10-12 feet then turn around and fall back down on her feet- Funniest thing to see. They lived in a scary part of Lansing and she was a deterent . She was a sweetheart but looked tough- actually she prolly was tough if needed. Wifey made some excellent bean and ham soup yesterday- was a great day for it- cold and blustery outside - warm and smelled good inside. Now last night- didn't smell so good- noisy too- It was Buddy who did it....bad dog....
Old March 10th, 2024, 05:26 AM

Well , the super model now has a horse Gideon, Help me please
Old March 10th, 2024, 06:12 AM

John - The pizza looks great!

Greg - Really? Shame on you blaming Buddy!

Jim - A horse, really? So is the Supermodel going to take care of this horse, or does it reside at an off your premises stable? Good luck with this one?

Our granddaughter Anna had her 3rd b-day yesterday. She's so damn cute!

Enjoying her toys

Blowing out candles with Mom and brother Ollie

Dad Mike with new brother Rowan, Anna, Ollie, and Mom Taylor

Hope ya'll have a great day!