The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2024, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by vintage chief
chris - this job is a cake walk.
👍
Old February 28th, 2024, 02:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The lead was late again today and brought Bojangles biscuits. We could get used to this. He left early, too, but so did we, about ten to 2. Not bad.

A storm just blew through, one crack of lightning and thunder, and then light wind and rain. It's all past now and things are trying to lighten up.

Norm I remember last year you were working on the roof of that garage, storm damage I think. Can you go between the garage and the mancave or do you have to go around?

As far as the archives go, I'm past page 750. We have seen the last of Allan, Clint, Scot, Adrian, probably a few others. Jamesbo has lent Red to his uncle after the uncle's Golden died, we're just starting into covid and I'm down to about 3 hours a day at work.

Think I'll go relax a little before MASH. I don't know why I'm so tired. I got my hair cut this afternoon, maybe that's it. Of course I haven't been sleeping well at night, so being tired in the afternoon and napping doesn't help that. It's a vicious cycle.

Okay have a good evening everyone.

Old February 28th, 2024, 02:16 PM

Norm, Are those pavers in your car port?
Old February 28th, 2024, 02:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm I remember last year you were working on the roof of that garage, storm damage I think. Can you go between the garage and the mancave or do you have to go around?
Mike - I repaired the garage roof December 27, 2020. A little better than x3 years ago - time flies when you're having fun, eh? The year before last (2022) I rebuilt the double-hung window casing. Last year I repaired two bad areas on the West rake of the roof & for the most part caulked & painted the entire house (moving scaffolding around the house). I have some ground level caulking/painting to finish this summer - not much.

No. I cannot go directly between the man-cave & the garage. I thought about putting an entrance door between the two but it wouldn't serve any real purpose so I opted to (instead) install a window for ventilation between the two. The area where the garage door is located has a large twin deep tub stainless steel sink platform. So frick'n nice to have running water in the man-cave. I'll toss up a picture or two showing the garage door entrance.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, Are those pavers in your car port?
Jim - No pavers in the car port - concrete slab. There are some pavers I installed for a walkway are leading to the garage/man-cave entrance.
Old February 28th, 2024, 03:11 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Maybe this will make some sense of it...the wood burning stove is long gone.

Old February 28th, 2024, 03:28 PM
Running On Empty

Depending on weather I'm hoping to frame it out, install new wood & drip edge tomorrow. I have ~3.5 bundles of new unopened shingles (~100 sq. ft.). These are same shingles on house roof. The garage awning is 3' x 20' (60 sq. ft.) so I have plenty. I purchased extra (2020) while repairing the garage roof - basically replenished stock I had on hand when I used it up performing the garage roof repair. The price of these shingles has nearly tripled in price. Since this is only a garage awning, I'm not interested in an exact match. I found some nearly identical shingles of a different manufacturer brand at my local hardware store so I ordered up x3 bundles of new shingles for the garage awning. I'm going to keep the ~3.5 bundles (~100 sq. ft.) of original shingles on hand in case I have a roof issue which may need to be addressed sometime in the future.

I've tried to remove that four letter word WORK from my retirement vocabulary yet it continues to haunt me.

Old February 28th, 2024, 03:49 PM
Running On Empty

For $hits & giggles (since I'm rolling w/ PowerPoint) w/in the 1st two years of ownership (2001 - 2003) I rebuilt (installed new corner posts) all four corners of the garage & anchored each w/ metal sill plates (so-to-speak) into the existing concrete foundation.

Old February 28th, 2024, 06:57 PM

Norm - I was checking out your signs in your Man Cave. Does one in this picture look familiar?

Old February 29th, 2024, 03:05 AM

Norm, is that a GAF Slateline shingle?
Old February 29th, 2024, 04:20 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Ray Dzi
Norm, is that a GAF Slateline shingle?
Ray - Spot-on.
Old February 29th, 2024, 04:43 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I was checking out your signs in your Man Cave. Does one in this picture look familiar?
Chris - The man-cave has acquired more pieces over the years.

Old February 29th, 2024, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Chris - The man-cave has acquired more pieces over the years.
Very nice collection! 👍 My favorite music genre is 60's and 70's Rock, but also love me some Vintage Country, so I love the pic of Merle up there!
Old February 29th, 2024, 11:32 AM

I like those shingles. I did a job for GAF in 04 while I was in school, and used them on my house in 14.
Old February 29th, 2024, 12:49 PM
Running On Empty

I'd give the GAF Slateline shinigles a fair>good rating. Bear in mind, I have zero experience with the great many brands & series of shingles. So, to be perfectly honest I most likely don't know poop about what I'm talking about. I will say I'm certain staining (algae), heat, moisture & wind contribute significantly based upon location alone. So, I'm guessing it's like anything you get what you pay for. They weren't an expensive shingle when I did the tear-off & installed new in 2003. They're coming up on 25 yrs. I guess that's reasonably typical for a modestly priced shingle in this area.

I'm replacing the garage awning shingles with CertainTeed Landmark (not Pro) Cobblestone Gray series shingles. These are an architectural (style) shingle. Color is pretty similar. Again, just a modestly priced shingle.
Old February 29th, 2024, 01:05 PM
Running On Empty

I almost turned the corner framing out the awning. The 2" x 4" boards are 3.75" - I have plenty of 3.5" & nothing wider I could rip down. So, I had to grab a 2" x 8" x 10' stick from the lumber yard & rip it down. While I was there their truck dropped off my shingle order, so I brought the shingles home. Next, I'm walking around w/ a protractor measuring angles for support framing. The awning supports butt up against the 1" x 6" siding against the garage & of course I have to account for the difference in bevel (sloping) for the overlapping siding against the garage side of the supports. I think I ended up w/ a 45° at the bottom & a 33° at the top to accommodate the sloping (bevel) on the garage side. I cut out all the old rotted boards & I was about to start framing the corner when someone stops by who has an interest in purchasing my property. Long story, I won't get into right now. When he left I didn't much feel like framing out the corner so I called it a day.
Old February 29th, 2024, 01:31 PM

I was about to start framing the corner when someone stops by who has an interest in purchasing my property. Long story, I won't get into right now. When he left I didn't much feel like framing out the corner so I called it a day.
OK Paul Harvey, do we get "The Rest of the Story" after the commercial break?
Old February 29th, 2024, 07:11 PM

Talking

I almost turned the corner framing out the awning. I was about to start framing the corner when someone stops by who has an interest in purchasing my property. Long story, I won't get into right now. When he left I didn't much feel like framing out the corner so I called it a day.
NO SOLICITING...

Old March 1st, 2024, 06:42 AM

A true classic headed norte
Old March 1st, 2024, 02:52 PM

Smoked trout capers horseradish, lemon,boil egg and soda crackers

Old March 1st, 2024, 03:09 PM
Running On Empty

Smoked trout capers horseradish, lemon,boil egg and soda cracker
Jim - Very nice.
Old March 1st, 2024, 03:17 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Gloomy all day and raining. And cold.

Took today off to go see my attorney. You'd be surprised at all the people that assume I'm getting sued when I say that. Had an afternoon appointment so it was nice to sleep in and go to my airport and Awful house.

That's a good movie. I have it on disc and have seen it a few times. Isn't that the same kid who saw dead people?

So I'm guessing, Norm, that the fellow left without a plan for purchasing. Was it the guy next door that owns the repair shop? Did you boost him out of there with one hand on his neck and the other on his belt? Did he want to trade you the house for a handful of beans?

Gonna go relax. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old March 1st, 2024, 03:35 PM
Running On Empty

So I'm guessing, Norm, that the fellow left without a plan for purchasing. Was it the guy next door that owns the repair shop? Did you boost him out of there with one hand on his neck and the other on his belt? Did he want to trade you the house for a handful of beans?
Mike - No, not the guy next door w/ the repair shop. Good you remembered what a douche nozzle he is. I haven't spoken to anyone at that garage in two years. The person who is interested in my property is a partner w/ another person. I know who they are. This guy (Phil) is going to get in touch w/ me in a couple weeks - he would like to have a sit-down conversation (his words).

I got a lot done on the garage awning. Weather began to turn cold & windy so I closed up shop early. Basically same weather system now in Atlanta.

Going to relax on the davenport remainder of the evening.
Old March 1st, 2024, 03:49 PM
Always room for one more

Norm if I were in my native land(Moline ILL) I could say I would be relaxing IN Davenport.

If you sold out you could move to Atlanta and hang out with the cool people. And me. No hurricanes and more than a few places to get decent seafood.

Old March 1st, 2024, 06:12 PM

Jim - Very nice.
X2 Jim

I did the Sardines with Saltines last Saturday, very good. (If you can find "Bumble Bee" brand in mustard I will highly recommend them)

My Grandpa also had a routine with crackers, his was limburger or aged brick cheese, sardines, and raw onion,...split an Old Milwaukee with his neighbor buddy while they played a game of cribbage. Beer was always in a glass not tugged straight out of the can or bottle.

Then it was nap time on the davenport in the dining room for him, while Grandma had her nap on the davenport in the living room after she got the evening meal prepared and simmering on the stove for supper.

Grandma must have had her snacks too, because we found about 7000 tooth picks in and under her davenport when we packed up their house. Her davenport came home with me and I kept it in my parlor for a few years.

Last edited by otto72; March 1st, 2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old March 1st, 2024, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by otto72
Beer was always in a glass not tugged straight out of the can or bottle.
As it should be. Pouring beer into a glass so the head rises produces more aroma and flavor. There’s really no other way to enjoy a good beer.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 02:27 AM

Alvarado toast ( could have been a little more ripe) lemon, evoo
Old March 2nd, 2024, 03:57 AM
Running On Empty

Alvarado toast ( could have been a little more ripe) lemon, evoo
Jim - Never heard of Alvarado toast - had to look it up. Best I came up w/ was Avocado toast....still searching. Looks good though since I like avocado + lemon.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 05:00 AM

Back in Harrison. No snow here in fact in the 60's. Had a good time in Alabama. Stopped for lunch at a Awful House. Man they are everywhere in the south. We likes it and so did Buddy- at least the good smells in the yard!

Good times- he is always happy!
Old March 2nd, 2024, 05:22 AM
Running On Empty

Greg - Welcome back home. Sixty degree temps are nice for March in Michigan. Yeah, Waffle House is everywhere in the South.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Back in Harrison.
Greg - Glad you had a nice time in Bama and are home safe. I'm sure it was nice to come back to 60° temps! Buddy sure looks like a happy pup, and I'm sure he makes you guys happy too! 😊
Old March 2nd, 2024, 03:12 PM

Lindon broil ( so norm can spell check) smash taters, baby lima beans
Old March 2nd, 2024, 03:18 PM

Lindon broil ( so norm can spell check) smash taters, baby lima beans
Looks delicious James! I love London Broil, and that looks done just to my liking, still pink in the middle and slightly warm, nice job! 👍

Old March 2nd, 2024, 03:23 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Greg I missed where you said you were going to Alabama. What part(s)? Glad you stopped in at Awful house.

Been sort of a nice temp today but mostly cloudy. Saw some blue sky a couple times. But a pleasant day nonetheless.

Slept late today, got up after 9 then did two loads of laundry and cut in a couple walls for painting at Mom's. Rather pleased with the day.

By the way Norm, what took the bite out of your eve on the garage? The one picture you have in your powerpoint presentation has the garage sans the mancave.

Tiime to relax. Walmart tomorrow then back to work. One more week then two more weeks off. Wish they could have lined up better with the two I had off before.

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old March 2nd, 2024, 05:32 PM
Running On Empty

By the way Norm, what took the bite out of your eve on the garage?
Mike - First stage of knocking out the rotted/rotting wood. That corner has most likely received the greatest exposure to the elements over 93 years. If you have the opportunity to witness/examine older homes you'll be keen to note it's nearly always the corners of a home's roof which begins to weather first - since the corners have significantly more exposure to the elements. Here's one for you to swallow. The Eastern shore of North Carolina has received ~250 sub-tropical or tropical cyclones since my home was built (1931). This (obviously) includes all named hurricanes since a hurricane is a cyclone which has achieved a vertical wind speed >74 mph.

I fastened felt paper to the entire awning & fastened one 10' piece of drip edge from one corner along one length of eave. Felt over drip edge on eaves, felt under drip edge on rakes. I'm hoping to lay down at least my first six starter courses tomorrow. Several small areas to address on the awning supports/bracketing prior to laying all courses.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 06:02 PM
Running On Empty

First two wood courses replaced, rotted section of eave face plate & two support brackets replaced w/ treated (enclosed box).

Old March 2nd, 2024, 06:18 PM

Alvarado toast
Well that sounds a LOT more appetizing than that other stuff folks mash into a tortilla dip condiment that looks like baby ****. That stuff is just plain gross and I don’t know how people eat it without holding their nose then vomiting afterwards.

Last edited by Fun71; March 2nd, 2024 at 06:25 PM.
Old March 2nd, 2024, 06:23 PM
Running On Empty

The Eagles write a song called "Alvarado"?
Old March 3rd, 2024, 03:36 AM

Mike, we stayed at Perdido Beach, across Perdido Bay from Orange Beach. Yeah it was pretty cool. Most all the newer places are built on stilts. Ours was. Not a fan of that though I get it as to why. Bringing back a bunch of groceries is s chore. It was a VRBO we got for the whole month of Feb.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 07:49 AM

The Eagles wrote a song called Desperado.
Old March 3rd, 2024, 08:54 AM

Greg, did you visit the mall down there? I'm sure they didn't pay $100 / acre for the land in nowhere Alabama