The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2024, 01:15 PM

I rub butter on my soon to be baked potatoes as well. Normally in the winter I will bake them for about two hours @ 375°. I didn't do that last night as the instructions for cooking the prime rib is to not open the oven at any time until done. I used a garlic, rosemary, thyme rub mixed with canola oil. Tasted really good, the down side was that it was only on the outside. I will follow that up by taking a slab and putting that rub on one side, and then throw it under the broiler for a few minutes. It will go between two slices of french bread, with swiss cheeses and a dab of mayo. I've been thinking about it all day! Many years ago, while working at a tool and die shop, our boss took us (we drove ourselves) to a trade show at McCormick Place in Chicago. We were treated to dinner at the McCormick House restaurant, and prime rib was served. The chef brought it to the table in a stainless heated cart, grill? Very good. Then there was one of my co workers, who promptly asked the chef for catsup for his prime rib! If looks could kill, the chef would have had a victim right there.

Last edited by 1969w3155; March 5th, 2024 at 01:21 PM.
Old March 5th, 2024, 01:24 PM

Dan - Please stop, you're making me very, very hungry. The Prime Rib sandwich sounds delicious! 👍
Old March 5th, 2024, 01:44 PM

dan - please stop, you're making me very, very hungry.
Old March 5th, 2024, 01:53 PM

Hi guys,
Kinda a ho-hum day here. Overcast and 54° right now, and it's sprinkled a few times. Didn’t do much today except for some accounting/bill paying in the morning and my workout in the early afternoon.

We're keeping a close eye on Monty because he's had diarrhea the last 2-days and we're hoping that the new anti-itch medicine we put him on is not upsetting his system. Hopefully it clears soon or we'll have to call the Vet and ask for advice.

Going to a choir concert for Gabe tonight at 5:30, so we'll be eating later than normal. After last night's gourmet sandwiches, simple frozen pizza is on the menu. For whatever reason, Home Run Inn Pizza availability at Walmart has dried up. We found a new brand at Walmart we like just as much, maybe better, Pep's DRAFTHAUS. They're about $10 a pizza, but very good with alot of toppings!

Hope everyone has had a great day!
Old March 5th, 2024, 01:59 PM

Chris, that pizza looks pretty good.
Old March 5th, 2024, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, that pizza looks pretty good.
Yes, they're really good. I don't have a clue on their availability within Walmart from region to region. When we get them out of the freezer tonight I'll find out where they're made and that might give you an idea if you can find them at Walmarts in Michigan.
Old March 5th, 2024, 02:40 PM
Always room for one more

Chris give Monty about a half spoonful of Imodium. Won't hurt him a bit. If that doesn't do too much the vet will tell you how much he can have. My vet gave me that tip instead of paying for expensive dog medicine. Dogs stomachs are very sensitive and the least little bit can upset it. Hm. Sensitive. Tiger goes out and eats dirt and pinecones, yet a bite of something from the table sends him into a tizzy.

Been raining all afternoon. Supposed to keep up until Sunday. I wonder if cloud seeding would do any good. Get the rain out that much faster maybe?

Had a giant pork chop for my dinner. Now it's time to relax.

Old March 5th, 2024, 03:20 PM

Normally in the winter I will bake them for about two hours @ 375°.
I had no idea how long it would take on the grill, so I just stuck them with a digital thermometer until they measured 200º (that was the temperature the internet said a baked potato should be - I had no idea).
Old March 5th, 2024, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris give Monty about a half spoonful of Imodium. Won't hurt him a bit.
Mike - Thanks for the tip, much appreciated. My wife will usually try plain cooked oatmeal first which usually binds them up pretty quickly without the use of medicine. He seemed to be a little better this afternoon. I think we're gonna give it another day before even trying the oatmeal since he seems better. The Imodium sounds like a good 2nd choice before asking for a bill from the Vet! Hope you have a nice evening.
Old March 5th, 2024, 05:46 PM
Running On Empty

You guys have any preferences for peanut butter? Jiffy, Peter Pan, etc. Chunky or smooth? What about jelly/jam/preserves? Any brand or a particular brand?
Old March 5th, 2024, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
You guys have any preferences for peanut butter? Jiffy, Peter Pan, etc. Chunky or smooth? What about jelly/jam/preserves? Any brand or a particular brand?
Norm - Both the wife and I really like PB&J's. We get Jif smooth in larger bulk size jars from Sam's. I like Jif, but all peanut butter is pretty much the same to me, although I don't really care for chunky. My wife likes Strawberry preserves on her PB&J's, and we buy bulk size Smuckers from Sam's for her. My 2 favorite preserves are Blackberry #1 and Red Raspberry #2. It's really hard to find either without paying an arm and a leg at the larger chain stores. The Save a Lot near us sells a brand of Red Raspberry by the name of Bramley's. It's very good and reasonable.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 5th, 2024 at 08:01 PM.
Old March 5th, 2024, 07:55 PM

Around here it’s PB2 (regular snd chocolate), PBfit, and Skippy. I initially thought powdered peanut butter was a joke. The wife likes it for the lower calories and fat, and I discovered I like it as well. It tastes just as good as Skippy or Jif, and you can make it as thick or thin as you desire.

Note the nutrition labels:

From left to right PBfit, PB2 chocolate, and Skippy smooth

Old March 6th, 2024, 02:49 AM
Always room for one more

Powdered peanut butter?

Good morning everyone.

I have had it with this rain. It just won't stop. I'm usually such a calm and pleasant person, but if rain were a person I'd punch it right in the mouth.

Jamesbo I heard that part of the roof at Mary Mac's collapsed. Probably because of the rain.

I grew up eating Skippy chunky peanut butter, but these days prefer the smooth. As for jelly, anything purple. I've tried strawberry on my PBJ but not a fan. Now sweet pickles, that's another story.

Plenty of asshats out on the road today. If you don't like rain, stay the F home! I also see that the entitled being that sits across from me came in for overtime, and we aren't working overtime. Oh I didn't know he says. I swear. One of these days I'm going to do what I want, and see if anyone says anything. Bet they would.

I can see already it's going to be one of those days. Vacation in T minus 3 days and counting. Have a good day everyone.

Old March 6th, 2024, 04:16 AM

Chris, when down in Alabama we couldn't get a Home Run pizza, so tried a Belatoria Pizza, thin crust. I think I like it better. That one you pictured looks really good also. I am thinking that maybe frozen pizzas are generally a lot better than they used to be. Tonight be have our friends over for the night. They have Buddy's brother- so now Buddy and his brother Coco are here together- lots of rough housing and jealosy... They're good boys, mostly, nothing broken yet... that I know of...
Old March 6th, 2024, 05:52 AM
Running On Empty

First time I've ever heard of powdered peanut butter. Crazy wild. I like crunchy peanut butter & either Black Raspberry Preserve or Black Raspberry Jam. I generally only buy Bellatoria Ultra Thin Crust Ultimate Supreme Pizza - great pizza.
Mike - I've noticed over the years you have a certain disdain for rain. It rained all night here. Soil was already saturated w/ water & I have now a small lagoon in the backyard.
Old March 6th, 2024, 07:01 AM

I like crunchy peanut butter & either Black Raspberry Preserve or Black Raspberry Jam.
It's already a good day. I learned something because of you. I had said Blackberry was my favorite Jam, and Red Raspberry was #2. I had never heard of Black Raspberry and was thinking maybe it was just a localized name for Blackberry. Wrong! Blackberries and Black Raspberries are two distinct fruits (that aren't technically fruits). Found this great explanation of the differences..
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-vs-blackberry
Old March 6th, 2024, 07:10 AM

Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old March 6th, 2024, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jamesbo
knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
👍
Old March 6th, 2024, 07:25 AM
Running On Empty

Jim likes that adage. Another of Jim's favorites is the difference between parsley & *****.
Old March 6th, 2024, 10:15 AM
Always room for one more

Finished up a little while ago. Today has been smooth and non-dramatic. I'm sorry guys I got a little carried away with venting this morning. Rain(and the resulting idiocy) really brings out the worst in me. Norm you are right. If I were king, rain would need a permit.

Didn't sign nearly the amount of wheels I did yesterday or the day before, but we got done anyway. I've been reading a lot of the back pages of the thread. I'm up to December of 2020. The house I wanted to buy just burned down, and Jamesbo schooled me on why Realtor is spelled with capital R. Chris' wife just put up hand made cabinets in the laundry room. Norm put railings up on his porch. Greg's neighbor fell off a ladder wearing a leaf blower. Dan is regaling with stories of working at Chris Craft. I think that's everyone. This guy Curvewrecker shows up about once a month.

Okay I know I brought up my plan to build a potty room off the house for Tiger. I figure I can build just a basic room out on the porch and then put down some indoor-outdoor carpeting. I could leave the back door open all the time and would be sealed off from the outside. The problem I can't get past is how to clean the floor. I thought I could put the carpeting on a plywood floor and then pull up one side and spray it down with the garden hose. But how to get it to drain to the outside? That would leave an opening where bugs and critters could get in and then get in the house. No bueno. Any ideas?

Old March 6th, 2024, 12:34 PM

Yes, you need a hinged wall section that you can push outward with a prop rod. You could also hinge the floor there, have a handle and prop rod on the other end. Wall goes out on the bottom, floor goes up, turn on the hose, let it drain, reset.
Old March 6th, 2024, 02:26 PM

Jif peanut butter for me, and Welch's grape jelly. While I was 3-4 years old. my mom would make blackberry jam from the berries that my oldest brother picked out behind our house. Put into a jar with a parafin seal.
Old March 6th, 2024, 02:47 PM

After a quick online search I found Belatoria's pizza at Meijer, and Pep's at Wally world. I'll have to check them out.
Old March 6th, 2024, 02:49 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - That's some good jam. Our family canned everything - from cooked meat, everything in the garden to fresh berries. Always one or two pressure cookers on the stove. I always enjoyed spending the day picking Thimbleberries in the U.P. Delicious berries w/ large leaves. You can use the leaves to wipe your **** - just as good as a Slippery Elm leaf.
Old March 6th, 2024, 02:53 PM
Running On Empty

After a quick online search I found Belatoria's pizza at Meijer, and Pep's at Wally world. I'll have to check them out.
You'll love 'em. The only pizza I purchase. I used to be a die-hard Tombstone pizza fan for many years because of its fail safe consistency which was always delicious. Maybe because Mom's family was from Wisconsin (where Tombstone originated - some bar I think) that's all we ate. If a store doesn't have Bellatoria pizza I'll grab a Tombstone.
Old March 6th, 2024, 03:27 PM

Okay I know I brought up my plan to build a potty room off the house for Tiger. I figure I can build just a basic room out on the porch and then put down some indoor-outdoor carpeting. I could leave the back door open all the time and would be sealed off from the outside. The problem I can't get past is how to clean the floor. I thought I could put the carpeting on a plywood floor and then pull up one side and spray it down with the garden hose. But how to get it to drain to the outside? That would leave an opening where bugs and critters could get in and then get in the house. No bueno. Any ideas?
Mike - Do you have any sections of your home on the rear of the house at ground level? Also, as I remember, one of your main concerns is Tiger tracking in mud when it's wet? I may have an idea if you have access to the back thru the wall at ground level.
Old March 6th, 2024, 03:39 PM

I know you're gonna laugh but if these don't become your favorite, I buy ya a new piano https://www.southernkitchen.com/stor...es/8063564002/
Old March 6th, 2024, 03:55 PM

But how to get it to drain to the outside? That would leave an opening where bugs and critters could get in and then get in the house. No bueno. Any ideas?
Old March 6th, 2024, 04:22 PM

I
know you're gonna laugh but if these don't become your favorite,
"Serving size, one cracker". I don't think so. How about a half dozen or so?
Old March 6th, 2024, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I know you're gonna laugh but if these don't become your favorite, I buy ya a new piano https://www.southernkitchen.com/stor...es/8063564002/
I ain't laughing, butter makes almost anything better. Take an Oreo, slap a pat of butter on top, ya got yourself a delicacy!
Old March 7th, 2024, 07:30 AM

I grilled half a full round steak last night. It did not turn out well. I need a new use for round steak. Thinking pot roast.
Old March 7th, 2024, 09:09 AM

I would marinate it in lemon soy sauce and or Italian dressing,Char a few minutes on both sides and cut against the grain very thin Perfect London broil
Old March 7th, 2024, 09:25 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slow day here in the salt mine. My wall guy is not here and his replacement is slow. Good, but slow. And today is his last day, so he's not intent on doing much. I still get paid. Wall guy will be back tomorrow.

Chris I'd love to hear your idea. Yes I have access to the back of my house from the ground level. That's part of the problem. I have a walk out basement so I'm basically going downstairs from the second floor to go into the back yard. Tiger doesn't have access to the basement when I'm not available. I'm entertaining any ideas that come my way because I sure felt bad for him the other morning when it was raining hard. I even put up my hood and stood in the yard with him. And I'm not one to stand in the rain voluntarily.

Seems nice out, that will end tonight but maybe I can enjoy it after work. I was going pretty well with the bedroom painting, but that has fallen off. Mom doesn't seem to mind anymore. I think she's resigned to living out her years in a crappy house. I feel bad. I plan to get some more done this weekend.

Kenneth. I fogot Kenneth yesterday I'm sorry Kenneth. He was posting pictures of Saturn and the Moon and Jupiter, all were in close proximity of each other and his pictures were amazing. Today we learned Greg got the purple Elvis snowmobile suit and Dan got his car stuck in the muck while out taking pictures.

Lunch was over almost an hour ago and I've gotten one wheel. I actualy have a little business to conduct online so I think that's what I'll do. I can sign off the wheels as they come, apparently one and hour.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old March 7th, 2024, 09:51 AM

Hi everyone.

Chris I'd love to hear your idea. Yes I have access to the back of my house from the ground level. That's part of the problem. I have a walk out basement so I'm basically going downstairs from the second floor to go into the back yard. Tiger doesn't have access to the basement when I'm not available. I'm entertaining any ideas that come my way because I sure felt bad for him the other morning when it was raining hard. I even put up my hood and stood in the yard with him. And I'm not one to stand in the rain voluntarily.
Mike - The fact your main living area is not at ground level blows my idea out of the water. You have a deck on the back of the house, but no steps to the back yard, is that correct? Maybe take a pic of the back of your home and post it, and that would give us a clear picture (no pun intended) of what you're working with, and might help us in helping you to engineer a solution. Would love to help you find a workable solution if we can.
Old March 7th, 2024, 10:02 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
I grilled half a full round steak last night. It did not turn out well. I need a new use for round steak. Thinking pot roast.
Agree - Pot Roast or Chili.
Old March 7th, 2024, 02:55 PM
Always room for one more

Chris that's a good idea. This weekend when it stops raining I'll take a picture from the back yard. Now getting it to post here will be a different story. So give me your idea anyway maybe I can tweak it somehow.

I didn't even sign 20 wheels today. Some people stayed over to finish up and there's overtime tomorrow morning. I'm not going in at 4, and I didn't stay over today.

Beautiful out now. Over 70, sun is out. It's just a tease but is sure looks nice.

Old March 7th, 2024, 03:27 PM

Norm, You should be happy to know I now have a hydraulic pump for the dump trailer
Old March 7th, 2024, 03:29 PM

Chris that's a good idea. This weekend when it stops raining I'll take a picture from the back yard. Now getting it to post here will be a different story. So give me your idea anyway maybe I can tweak it somehow.
Mike - Here's what I'm thinking. If you have a deck off the main level, but without stairs down to the backyard, first put in a set of stairs down to the backyard. If you already have stairs, you're a step ahead. I'd then put in a flap type doggy door from the interior to the deck. They're easy to install, even I could do it, and not expensive. Then I'd fence in an area in the backyard large enough for him to do his business, with a gate to the rest of the backyard. Then in the fenced in area I'd put down a good layer of sand (maybe 3") to alleviate the mud issue. Then put a decent sized (5' by 5') piece of artificial turf in front of the stairs to knock the sand off his feet before he comes up. Just my 2-cents. I think this would work as long as you can get him to use the doggy door.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 7th, 2024 at 03:34 PM.
Old March 7th, 2024, 03:36 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm, You should be happy to know I now have a hydraulic pump for the dump trailer
Jim - Nice. Is there a single ram or dual rams to hoist the dump box?
Old March 7th, 2024, 03:45 PM
Running On Empty

Raised center section of garage awning to level & fabricated/installed new treated support brackets (yesterday), finished installing shingles & began caulking at end of day today.