The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2023, 10:11 AM
Running On Empty

38/40 Chilly & windy today...
9-Hole Shootout this evening before we're blown off the planet tomorrow...
Old May 24th, 2023, 10:39 AM

Thanks both.

Funny story about the Jimmy John's Italian sub. I think it used to be called Italian Night. It's got onions, and Italian dressing, and all sorts of meat and cheeses.

In the fall of 17, I was buying a relay press in Stamping Ground, Kentucky near the TMMK plant at Georgetown, KY. I would drive over the night before, visit in the morning, leave at lunch, drive to Georgetown, get a Jimmy John's, go into the K plant, go to our office there, eat it, and do paperwork and benchmarking at K for a few hours, then drive back home to Indiana.

One time, I selected the Italian Night, and that hoagie stunk up the office. I was getting asked if there was anything else on my onion sub, and similar jokes. I was harassed for the rest of my visits for that project to make sure I picked another sub.
Old May 24th, 2023, 10:46 AM
Always room for one more

Love Jimmy John's. For years, maybe ever, I get #10 Hunters Club double roast beef. And a Coke. Haven't been in a few weeks.

I used to go to JJ every couple of weeks. But now that I drive the pickup to work, I don't dare take it out until it's time to go home. Our lot is full every day, and if I left and had to come back, there'd be no place for me to park. Either someone would take my space and I'd have none, or there would be one in the middle of the aisle that my truck doesn't come close to fitting down, much less backing out of if there's cars parked near.

Old May 24th, 2023, 10:54 AM
Running On Empty

JJ's has essentially two Dago subs:

(1) The East Coast Italian - made with a double serving of hand-sliced salami and capocollo, plus hand-sliced provolone cheese, and topped with easy mayo, hot Jimmy Peppers®, house-made oil & vinegar, oregano-basil and fresh-sliced lettuce, tomato and onion served on a gutted, fresh-baked 8" or Giant 16" French bread; and,
(2) The Italian Night Club - made with hand-sliced salami, capocollo and smoked ham, topped with mayo, fresh-sliced lettuce, onions, oil & vinegar and oregano-basil served on a fresh-baked 8" or Giant 16" French bread.
Old May 24th, 2023, 11:10 AM
Always room for one more

Pretty good story about Jimmy John the man and the store. There's a couple in close proximity to this side of the airport, and one on the other side of Stockbridge. I wish one would open on my side of Stockbridge. Although that might siphon my attention away from Awful house...

Old May 24th, 2023, 12:09 PM
Running On Empty

Little Jimmy (John) is closer to your age, Mikey. He went to school at Elgin Academy, Elgin, IL (where I grew up). Elgin Academy was a peculiar building in Elgin, for sure - dank & kind of sterile with no real defining lawn, landscape, etc. - just a very bare basic square building. It was located about one mile from our house in Elgin, IL. I think I may have met two people (maybe three) who attended Elgin Academy - it was a private preparatory school and they never really integrated into any either academic or sports affiliation programs in the area. By the time little Jimmy opened his first restaurant in Charleston, IL (our next door neighbors were from Charleston, IL), 1983, I had graduated w/ my B.S. from U of Illinois, Champaign, IL (1981). I did eat at the original Jimmy John's restaurant once or twice in Charleston - the restaurant reminded me a lot of a couple of the small restaurants in and around Champaign, IL (which became little Jimmy's headquarters and I think where he opened his 2nd restaurant). He certainly made good for himself.
Old May 24th, 2023, 12:40 PM

Mike/ Norm, Ive never been to a Jimmy John but a search says there's one across the hwy from the Lowes I frequent. What would yall recommend for aa 1st timer
Old May 24th, 2023, 12:47 PM
Running On Empty

The Italian Nigh Club as opposed to the Spicy East Coast Italian...cause the Spicy Dago is spicy.
Old May 24th, 2023, 12:59 PM

Dago is derogatory but very nice way to say hello.

Last edited by woodie582; May 24th, 2023 at 01:42 PM.
Old May 24th, 2023, 01:01 PM

Tanks Norm, I may go get another weed eater tomorrow and Ill give it a try
Old May 24th, 2023, 01:03 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by woodie582
Dago is derogatory.
I know, I know...but I wasn't using it in a derogatory manner. I'm German, if someone calls me a Kraut I don't take offense. Same for Polack, it's derogatory if used in a derogatory manner.
Old May 24th, 2023, 01:05 PM

I just tell folks to ki$$ my Cracker A$$
Old May 24th, 2023, 01:07 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I just tell folks to ki$$ my Cracker A$$
Gotta love it...
Old May 24th, 2023, 01:21 PM

I know, I know...but I wasn't using it in a derogatory manner. I'm German, if someone calls me a Kraut I don't take offense. Same for Polack, it's derogatory if used in a derogatory manner.
Agree. My former Italian neighbor, who i mentioned that some of us had breakfast with a couple of weekends ago, uses it, along with Polack, when referring to his 80yr old plus maintainence man and vice versa. Using it in a friendly manner is O.K. in my opinion.
Old May 24th, 2023, 05:13 PM

Hey guys,

Sounds like everyone had a pretty decent day! Beautiful here today, sunny and got up to about 88°. Just got back from a short motorcycle ride and it was great to be out, hadn't been out on either bike in awhile. We went to our granddaughter's kindergarten graduation this afternoon and she was very cute.

There's a big judged show at a Sportsman's Club in Mascoutah, IL this Saturday that I plan on going to. It's about 65-miles one way northeast of me, which is about the limit I'll go to get to a show. I went to it last year and it was a beautiful setting and a good time. Right now the weather forecast looks great.

Mike - The only reason I remembered this was the day I retired on is because my phone told me. There is a feature on it that pulls up certain photos from special events and reminds me of when it happened. I don’t have it marked on my calendar or anything.

John - Damn good looking meatloaf!

Norm -- Nice round for it being cold and windy. Hope you did well in the shootout.

Hope ya'll have a relaxing evening!

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 24th, 2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 24th, 2023, 06:43 PM

Granddaughter's Kindergarten Graduation

Proud Grandparents with the Graduate!

Three Generations!
Old May 24th, 2023, 07:01 PM
Running On Empty

Nice pics, Chris.
Old May 24th, 2023, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Nice pics, Chris.
Thanks Norm, much appreciated! How'd the shootout go?
Old May 24th, 2023, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by woodie582
Dago is derogatory but very nice way to say hello.
Reminds me of many years ago on ROP a few of the south Louisiana guys were calling each other coonass and some yahoo made a profile, logged on, and proceeded to chastise folks about it. He was under the impression that the "coon" part was a racist epithet toward blacks. We had to set him straight. I was amazed that someone would find that thread on the internet, then take the time to sign up just to point and scream "racism!". Do people have nothing better to do with their lives?
Old May 24th, 2023, 08:11 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Thanks Norm, much appreciated! How'd the shootout go?
Did not place, I personally shot a 40. Better luck next week.
Old May 24th, 2023, 08:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Do people have nothing better to do with their lives?
No
Old May 24th, 2023, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
No
x2 - The $hit people want to bitch and moan and complain about on the interwebs never ceases to amaze me!
Old May 24th, 2023, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Reminds me of many years ago on ROP a few of the south Louisiana guys were calling each other coonass and some yahoo made a profile, logged on, and proceeded to chastise folks about it. He was under the impression that the "coon" part was a racist epithet toward blacks. We had to set him straight. I was amazed that someone would find that thread on the internet, then take the time to sign up just to point and scream "racism!". Do people have nothing better to do with their lives?
I won't name the worst offender on ROP, but he put people against each other and would never take a stand on anything, then, when finally cornered, he admitted what he was and it made perfect since as it was typical for what he was. He writes, poorly, articles about Oldsmobiles now in certain publications. I hope he has grown up some.
Old May 25th, 2023, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Agree. My former Italian neighbor, who i mentioned that some of us had breakfast with a couple of weekends ago, uses it, along with Polack, when referring to his 80yr old plus maintainence man and vice versa. Using it in a friendly manner is O.K. in my opinion.
Reminded me of this scene from one of my favorite movies of all time
Old May 25th, 2023, 03:09 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Reminded me of this scene from one of my favorite movies of all time.
I enjoyed that movie. I pretty much enjoyed everything Clint involved himself with - acting, producing, directing, etc.
Old May 25th, 2023, 03:45 AM

GREAT Movie [as well as many others Clint was in]

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 25th, 2023 at 04:04 AM.
Old May 25th, 2023, 03:56 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful morning out. Clear sky, a bit cool but not bad. Gonna be a nice day. And I have inside stuff planned for after work.

Went and got the SRX yesterday after work. What a pain. At one time they said they'd send a Lyft for me since I didn't have a ride, but I thought better of it. So I hooked up the trailer and retrieved it that way. It isn't a big deal, but my trailer is a piece of junk, and it was a hassle messing with it. I found out the valance on the car is again too low for the trailer, and I tore up the other side of it. I think I'm just going to leave it off.

So my neighbor the hot rodder came over yesterday when i was putting the trailer up and brought the Chevy. He's done an enormous amount of work to it the last month. It runs really nice. Now I need to get tires for it, get the front end lined up, and hit the road! It was really nice driving it yesterday, first time in years. I keep forgetting Reverse is all the way down.

I think my wall guy is just in a funk. He said yesterday he thinks it's time to move on. I fully understand this. I hate being stuck in a job I don't want to be in. But the reality is he can't transfer anywhere for about a year, and if he doesn't shape up he'll find himself in the back doing teardown. Believe me that's a place you'd start to hate immediately.

Okay I think I'll take my hourly walk. Hope everyone has a good day.

Old May 25th, 2023, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

So my neighbor the hot rodder came over yesterday when i was putting the trailer up and brought the Chevy. He's done an enormous amount of work to it the last month. It runs really nice. Now I need to get tires for it, get the front end lined up, and hit the road! It was really nice driving it yesterday, first time in years. I keep forgetting Reverse is all the way down.
Mike - Glad your neighbor got the Chevy running well for you. Get some new tires on that baby soon and start enjoying it!
Old May 25th, 2023, 08:29 AM

Mission accomplishments. I like to try something new

Old May 25th, 2023, 08:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good job Jamesbo! Which one did you get? I love the bread.

Thanks Chris. I hope the Chev fares better than the Imperial has, I have tires for it and it still sits! I need to get busy for cruising this summer.

Old May 25th, 2023, 09:10 AM

Mission accomplishments. I like trying something new
Old May 25th, 2023, 09:23 AM

Thanks Chris. I hope the Chev fares better than the Imperial has, I have tires for it and it still sits! I need to get busy for cruising this summer.
Mike - If Summit is having a cruise-in tomorrow evening get the Chrysler out and get it up there! I think lots of folks would love to see it and you'd have a great time! Just my 2-cents.
Old May 25th, 2023, 09:51 AM
Always room for one more

Summit's cruise ins here in Georgia are Monday nights. Actually this next Monday they won't have one, they never do on a holiday. I don't want to drive it because the tires are so old. it's gonna be the same thing with the Chev. Driving it yesterday was like the tires were made of concrete.

There used to be an old guy went to Summit every week with his 57 Chevy. For years he'd tell me I needed to get mine going. He hasn't been going the last couple of years, and he's also sold his Chevy. I should stop by his house with the car and show him, I know he'd get a big kick out of it.
Old May 25th, 2023, 10:01 AM
Jeff

I am starting to think that maybe when I sell stuff, I should haul and sell up north at the cottage. Sold a fridge and my parts Yard Bug mower in record time, $250 that immediately was used for septic tank pump-out.
Old May 25th, 2023, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Weezer
$250 that immediately was used for septic tank pump-out.
No ****?

....I'll see myself out.
Old May 25th, 2023, 01:30 PM

Summit's cruise ins here in Georgia are Monday nights. Actually this next Monday they won't have one, they never do on a holiday. I don't want to drive it because the tires are so old. it's gonna be the same thing with the Chev. Driving it yesterday was like the tires were made of concrete.
Oh, I didn't know the tires on the Chrysler were bad too. Certainly don't want to be out with it until you get some new ones.
Old May 25th, 2023, 01:53 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mission accomplishments. I like to try something new
Good job Jamesbo! Which one did you get? I love the bread.
Answer the question...punk. Go ahead....make my day.
Old May 25th, 2023, 01:58 PM

Grand Torino is a good movie, but I would never insult my barber, I like my ears too much! Mike, I think we need pics of the now running Chevy. Chris, nice pics of the graduate.
Old May 25th, 2023, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Grand Torino is a good movie, but I would never insult my barber, I like my ears too much! Mike, I think we need pics of the now running Chevy. Chris, nice pics of the graduate.
Thanks Dan, much appreciated!
Old May 25th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Always room for one more

I'll get some pictures of the Chevy after I wash it tomorrow. I don't care if it's going to rain Sunday, I'm washing the car! The guy I got the Imperial from said he drove it to Carlisle from his house a couple years ago. A couple years ago the tires would have only been 18 years old. He lives in Virginia, said it was 3 or 4 hours on the interstate. Years ago I didn't give two hoots about tire age. I drove my Cutlass with at least 20 year old tires from Chicago to Moline and back. About 300 miles round trip. Never gave it a second thought. Wouldn't do that now.