The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2023, 12:25 PM
Running On Empty

Love 'Animal House', Jim.
Old May 26th, 2023, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm you could put the dogs in the man cave and they could go out into the fence through the HD dog door. And you could do the same when you went out to clean up, do maintenance, etc. Or, you could put a full size door from the man cave, or you could put a gate on the outside. Or, or, or...

John what are the three choices? Live with it, help change it, or quit? Go to Japan and yell at the boss?

The day has taken a turn. We are within striking distance of finishing, and my wall guy has stepped up, probably because it would be painfully obvious that he is slacking when everyone else is busting their ***. And because I started writing down what time he gave me a wheel and he saw it.
If production stops for the day, the team members are offered The Three Choices, which are: No Work, No Pay; Use PTO, or Stay and We'll Have You Do Something. Typically a third of the folks go home and get no pay the rest of the day, a third burn a few hours of paid time off, and a third stay their shift and clean or paint something.

Engineering's three choices are: You can work in East Plant, you can work in West Plant, or you can work at your desk. Kaizen shop said theirs were: Work here and like it, work here and don't like it, or quit.
Old May 26th, 2023, 02:00 PM

Well, speaking of work, my boss, who has been at the company for 9 years, and has two years in my dept. has to know the schedule for the jobs that we are running. He has a clipboard fused to his hand to write and keep track of what is going on in the dept. I was told by die support at around noon that we would be pulling the job that I was running, and throw another job (die) on my machine at around 2pm. Die support gets the order to change from my boss. My boss comes around at 1pm and asks me "what's going on next, the 8596?" I reply no, the 8778. Guess what he has written on his clipboard so he won't forget his own schedule? Yep, the 8778. He has been inept in every dept. that he has worked in there, and is known for his incompetence but hey, it's Howmet Aerospace, we just keep moving them around rather than firing them. My rant done. My garage smells like hell....something died in there, and I can't find it. I have no poison, or anti freeze for a critter to eat that would kill them, but nevertheless, they's dead. Good news is I opened up the Olds, and no smell in there. Have a good holiday weekend everyone.
Old May 26th, 2023, 02:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
My garage smells like hell....something died in there, and I can't find it. I have no poison, or anti freeze for a critter to eat that would kill them, but nevertheless, they's dead. Good news is I opened up the Olds, and no smell in there. Have a good holiday weekend everyone.
Dan - I've had that "smell" on a couple occasions over the years. Dawned on me each time some birds were sneaking in under the eaves/gutters/downspouts of the man-cave, built a nest and some young'ns had croaked. Terrible smell.
Old May 26th, 2023, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Have a good holiday weekend everyone.
Dan - Hope you have a nice, long, relaxing weekend too! Do you have any big plans? I've got a car show tomorrow, then BBQ's with different groups of family on Sunday and Monday. I should be posting pics of the car show by Sunday evening if all goes well. Be safe!
Old May 26th, 2023, 04:16 PM
Running On Empty

Good I didn't have ANY plans for this weekend. This weather is complete junk.
Old May 26th, 2023, 05:56 PM

https://www.wzzm13.com/10-day Weather here will be nice, though cooler where I'm at by the lakeshore. Chris, I'll be with my brother, and we will put flowers on our parents gravesite as my dad was a veteran, then head down to the new Richmond/Fennville area to put flower on my grandparents and aunt & uncle graves. Sunday, I had on planning on going to a local car show, but will instead be at my brothers place for a cook out. I will supply the ribs.
Old May 27th, 2023, 01:03 AM
Always room for one more

Wow haven't seen 4oclock in awhile.

Good morning everyone.

Yesterday was more than its usual cluster. The other lead, who was the only one here, had "his guys" come bail us out. At 220, he told them to leave. It wasn't 230 and we weren't finished. But hey we're a team, right?

Gonna be nice today. Need to mow a little and then wash the car. I intend to enjoy myself.

Hope everyone has a good day. Enjoy the car show Chris.

Old May 27th, 2023, 01:49 AM

Mike, Some days I bet you wish Dolly Parton had sung 10 to 4 https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...%205%20youtube
Old May 27th, 2023, 03:21 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo what I'd really like to do is get in my DeLorean time machine and go back and smack Henry Ford in the head. He's the one that came up with the 5 day work week. Now, I understand that before that there was no rhyme or reason to the shifts people worked, and that businesses would wring every minute they could out of the employees, but geez, how does it seem like a good idea to work 5 days and only be off two?

Old May 27th, 2023, 04:38 AM

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...249B&FORM=VIRE Mike You don't like the name on the steering wheel ?

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 27th, 2023 at 04:43 AM.
Old May 27th, 2023, 05:08 AM
Running On Empty

Miserably wretched weather. Pure junk & we've been caught on the worst possible side of this cyclone the past several days. Cold, windy & dank.
Old May 27th, 2023, 05:50 AM
Always room for one more

That's the only part of that movie I've seen. I'm confused. Was Mr. Ford weeping because he just **** himself? Or because that was the baddest car they'd ever built and he was sad the old man wasn't there to see it? You know the GT40s had Corvair tail lights.

Old May 27th, 2023, 06:49 AM

Mike, Its a GREAT flick you should watch the whole thing Norm Look at the bright side, It will make digging post holes easier for your dog pin

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 27th, 2023 at 06:55 AM.
Old May 27th, 2023, 07:02 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm Look at the bright side, It will make digging post holes easier for your dog pin
Jim - This weather can kiss my grits.
Old May 27th, 2023, 07:09 AM
Always room for one more

Well we are done, and most of the people went home. I and a few others are staying till 12. I want my full 8 hours overtime. I guess we just hang out and do nothing. Eh, it's only 2 hours. Signed 36 wheels today in less than 6 hours. Oh what difference a day makes.

Jamesbo I planned on seeing that movie in the theater but never made it. I don't know a lot about those old times, especially Ford, so I wouldn't know what was truth or creative license. But a good movie is a good movie.

Old May 27th, 2023, 08:10 AM

Fried up bacon and eggs today since I had the materials from friends visiting last week. Now, to do stuff.
Old May 27th, 2023, 08:12 AM
Running On Empty

At Post Office at 0900, vacuum in hand since then. Weather is "junk".
A nice hardy breakfast does sound delicious.
Old May 27th, 2023, 08:15 AM

Mike, Most of it is spot on truth. Only They make ken miles look crazier than he really was and Carol Shelby not as crazy as he really was
Old May 27th, 2023, 08:50 AM
Always room for one more

Actually not a bad day. We had some good people and we got a lot accomplished. After we reached our target number, most people went home. A few stayed and the robot guys kept building. There was one wall guy and he kept building and giving me the cards. So I signed them off. That gave us 10 more than we needed. A boost for the operation.

And now a rare these days treat, I get to go to Awful house. I don't want to spend too long there, as I have plenty I want to do at home. And I have two nights I can stay up late. Can't beat that.

Old May 27th, 2023, 02:10 PM

A word to the wise, if something died in your garage, and you can't find it, don't leave the windows down on your daily driver. How my day went part 2. Got flowers for the cemetary, picked up my brother, and proceeded south. Took the exit for Saugatuck and Douglas, which puts you on the Blue Star Highway, a two lane that dissects Saugatuck and Douglas. Holiday traffic, Saugatuck is a tourist town, so there is a lot of it. Zipping along at the speed limit (50mph), but frequently slowing for backed up traffic and the guy a couple of cars in front of me, who slows down to turn across traffic into a cafe parking lot. The kid in the BMW X3 behind me did not get the memo. Wham. *#@%! Got it right in the ****. Everybody ok, he slowed enough to keep his airbag from going off, though he was leaking coolant. I was mad that we got hit, not really at the kid, who was 17-18 years old. Rear bumper cover, and all that's underneath will have to be replaced, along with the rear hatch. Tail pipe looks to have been pushed up as well. Drives fine. I will get with my insurance agent on Tuesday to try and get it sorted out. Kid got a ticket for being at fault, driving too close. I believe it's called "failure to travel at a safe and assured stopping distance". Nice day out. Got plans to take care of a raccoon, who can't stay out of the jelly that I put out for the Orioles, and the humming bird feeders.

Last edited by 1969w3155; May 27th, 2023 at 02:12 PM.
Old May 27th, 2023, 03:06 PM

If the odor got into the car wad up newspapers and it will absorb it
Old May 27th, 2023, 03:10 PM
Running On Empty

Hopefully the angle of impact &/or speed was not great enough to travel the distance of the exhaust system to cause any issues at an exhaust manifold, motor mount or otherwise.
Old May 27th, 2023, 03:21 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
If the odor got into the car wad up newspapers and it will absorb it
A better approach is to cut up a white onion & place it into the wad of newspapers or a paper bag. I told this to one guy on this forum and I he thought I was for ****. Some people fail to believe in science - that's their problem. Science is real. I think if I start rambling off scientific terms for compounds folks may presume I actually know something - hey, maybe they're right - try Alliinase.
Old May 27th, 2023, 03:55 PM
Always room for one more

Awful house was fun. Saw some people I hadn't seen in a long time. Hope I can get up tomorrow and see the morning people.

Well I thought I'd beat the rap. Got most of the mowing done and the thing just quit. Not sure why. Got it started again and huge amounts of smoke came out from underneath. After the smoke stopped I started it up but it wouldn't move. I called the guy I got it from and he said the cam seal has gone bad again and got the hydrostat belt oiled up. He said he'd come over next week and take a look. So I pushed it up to the garage.

Got about half the car washed. It actually looks the same, even though I got a lot of dirt and mildew off. That was a lot of work, and it got past 5 so I stopped for dinner. I'll finish it tomorrow. It's supposed to be nice all week.

Dan that's too bad you got wrecked. Aren't you having trouble with that vehicle? Maybe they'll do you a tremendous favor and total it. No charge for the critter stink.

Think I'll go sit down and take a nap. Mom likes to watch Daniel O'Donnell on Saturday evening but that comes on later.

Old May 27th, 2023, 03:56 PM

I watched some old Popcorn Sutton videos recently where he listed what common compound, or plant, dissolved in "likker" would do for you. Stomach ache, headache, the *****, fungus, a cough, disinfectant, etc.

I'm tempted to distill moonshine and grow weed in my retirement.
Old May 27th, 2023, 04:19 PM
Running On Empty

"Popcorn Said **** You"
Old May 27th, 2023, 04:33 PM
Always room for one more

I was going to make moonshine to run in my car. Started researching it and it would have been a tremendous undertaking, and way more expensive than just buying gasoline. But hey, how cool would it be to have a still?

Old May 27th, 2023, 04:34 PM
Always room for one more

Hey Jamesbo, out of your stash of 15" wheels that you want to give me, are any of them 14" ?

Old May 27th, 2023, 05:55 PM

Mike only about 10.14 SS ll All my 15 are now on cars BTW I have a still [un assembled] I was gonna make gasohol and looked at the permit and never did I wanta use it and yard art at the lake but afraid someone would steal the copper cooker You really need to make a point to come up and get some plunder. Until I sell the Vista I can't turn around in the garage TOO much stuff Jeep, Jeep trailer, Vista Gator Extra 350 Engine Pressure washer sand blaster Etc etc. And Donny [thank goodness] borrowed my cherry picker and transmission Jack a few years ago and hauled off an extra peg leg rear end and axles assembly.

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 28th, 2023 at 02:41 AM.
Old May 28th, 2023, 03:34 AM

Hi guys, I haven't been on in a while so I think I'll say something. Starting to catch up after being gone for 2 weeks. Yesterday (Sat) was great, Buddy and I got up about 6, ate breakfast and piddled around doing spring stuff ( putting out chairs in yard- goose fence, etc). Then waited for our guests to come- fell asleep in chair on deck in the sun.... Guests came and woke me up. It was our niece and nephew, her husband and 7 week old baby boy. Then our son and daughter in law and their kids came over and we all ate burgers and dogs, potato salad, etc. Then niece, hubby and baby and nephew, wifey and I went for boat ride around lake. They stayed until about 6. Boy I'll tell ya... it sure makes ya feel good holding a new baby... Makes everything seem as all is well- very refreshing- so cute and innocent... Today looks like another beautiful one. Dan sorry about your fender bender. Have a good one guys...
Old May 28th, 2023, 05:22 AM
Running On Empty

Well phuque me - there really is a sun!
Old May 28th, 2023, 05:37 AM
Running On Empty

The large amount of rainfall has obviously saturated the soil. My finger's are crossed at least one, maybe two large (65' tall) towering pine trees aren't going to fall onto the corner of my man-cave. One tree is holding up the other. It has been leaning towards the other tree for ~1 year. That tree is now all but uprooted and leaning entirely on the other tree. I'm going to take some pictures.

Greg - Good to hear from you - enjoy spring.
Jim - It's nice having much more space in the man-cave w/ the Cutlass gone.

Members have pretty much purchased most of the items I listed on Parts For Sale.
Old May 28th, 2023, 06:16 AM
Running On Empty

Suspect trees...

Old May 28th, 2023, 07:48 AM

Hi guys,

Dan - So sorry to hear about the accident, but very glad no one got hurt!

Greg - Sounds like you had a great day with family, the best way to spend time on a beautiful holiday weekend!

Norm - That pic of the leaning trees, Yikes!!! I sure hope those never come down, pretty scary stuff.

Had a wonderful day at the Car/Truck Show in Mascoutah, IL yesterday. The weather was absolutely perfect. You can see pics in "The Clubhouse" if you want to check them out.

Another beautiful day today. No big plans other than grilling dinner for Momma and I. I think a motorcycle ride may become part of the plan if I can get a few little chores done.

Hope ya'll have a great rest of your weekend!
Old May 28th, 2023, 08:30 AM

Hopefully the angle of impact &/or speed was not great enough to travel the distance of the exhaust system to cause any issues at an exhaust manifold, motor mount or otherwise.
I did have concerns about that, just hoping that there is enough flex or give in the system to absorb it before it got upstream. Mike, I joked with a buddy of mine, and fellow Hyundai owner that I should just stay overnight at a cheap hotel in Grand Rapids, Mi. (about 40 miles away), and park it out front, as G.R. has an epidemic of Hyundai and KIA thefts over the last year, due to poor anti theft protocol in the ignition, and **** headed teens whose parents have no idea what their kids are doing at night. So, the car will be pretty much worthless if I try to trade it in, bad engine reputation and a carfax report.
Old May 28th, 2023, 09:19 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

What a great day it's been, and it's only half over! I was tired last night so I went to bed sort of early, and got up this morning and went to Awful house and saw everyone. They said, where have you been? Then I went to my airport and talked with the neighbors for awhile. Got caught up on all the scuttlebutt. Then Mom called and said the oven had three lights on at once and was pouring heat out of it. I said, it's gone haywire go turn the breaker off. Instead she went into the other room so she wouldn't blow up when the stove did. I walked in and asked if she'd fixed it, it wasn't doing anything. The lights she thought were on was a reflection from the windows, and she had taken brownies out of the oven and thought it should be cooler than it was by then. So the lemonade from coming over here for no reason is that I fixed myself lunch, which I wouldn't have done at home.

Gonna finish washing the car this afternoon, and I might change the oil in my truck. The SRX needs its oil changed, the Chevy needs its oil changed.

At this point Dan, get the car fixed and drive it until it dies. If you're not going to get anything out of it and you still like it, might as well be the end-user. Gosh that's too bad. You could always put a big block in it.

Norm it doesn't look like those trees would hit the building if they fell. That one must not be too uprooted as it's still green. Too bad you bricked up all your fireplaces, that's a lot of firewood.

Greg when we'd have a new baby in church the minister would take him/her in his arms and parade around the sanctuary and say, Look what love the Father has for us.

Chris I saw some rocks or gravel in the tire treads of the car, you'd better get right on it. Bahaha. Seriously, glad you had a good time. I should drive the Imperial up and park next to you one time.

Okay! Enough shenanigans. Have a great day everyone.

Old May 28th, 2023, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Chris I saw some rocks or gravel in the tire treads of the car, you'd better get right on it. Bahaha. Seriously, glad you had a good time. I should drive the Imperial up and park next to you one time.
Damn, if I'd just seen those rocks in the tires and got them out of there I'd probably have won "Best if Show"! LoL 😂

Deal! You drive the Imperial to a show I'm at and I'll even detail it for ya while we're there. I'd love to see that car in person!
Old May 28th, 2023, 10:56 AM

Chris, it's possible to make your own thread of pictures and then add the same amount as a reply. You can make the thread, then hit go advanced in the reply window, then reply to yourself with more pics.
Old May 28th, 2023, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Chris, it's possible to make your own thread of pictures and then add the same amount as a reply. You can make the thread, then hit go advanced in the reply window, then reply to yourself with more pics.
John - Good to know! Generally the moderator usually does it almost instantaneously, but he must have something going on.