The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2023, 03:42 AM

Hi guys, yesterday it snowed, yep on May 2nd! It was a good day to go take our grand daughter out to lunch. Her last day of classes at CMU is Thursday and her graduation is Saturday. She is going to start at Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minn in July! So proud of her!!
After checking out engine on the 09 F150 I found I really didn't need to remove it completely, but it made it easier for assembly. On that truck you have to remove or replace the engine with the intake off of it to reach the rear most bolts. It is a PIA. And it being lifted doesn't help.. Ahh.... my own choice to do it. It is keeping me busy which was the goal. So the engine minus intake is physically in and 1/2 way reconnected. I ended up doing the complete timing chain/phasers, oil pump, both overhead cams, and a few rockers and one lash adjuster. Bottom end and bores looked like new. but that is reason I took whole engine out to check main/rod bearings. Also both exhaust manifolds were cracked- a known 5.4 Ford thing, new China repops are 50 bucks each so those also.
Ok enough hunt and pecking, have a good one guys!!
Old May 3rd, 2023, 04:27 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Today is May 3. Thirty years ago today was my first day of class for A&P mechanic. Ah and look where I am now. It seems like it was forever ago. I began to question my decisions almost immediately. My very first instructor was ex-Eastern. He was telling us about himself and he said one Thursday I had 29 years with the company. Friday I had nothing. Lucky for us Lorenzo never owned Delta.

This morning is the annual Jet Drag, something the company does for cancer research. Teams get together and have to drag a 757 twenty-five feet and the team that does it the quickest, or at all, wins. Quite a deal for the company. Each team has to raise $3000 for an entry fee, then Delta donates that money and gets the write off. The entrants get a Tshirt. Hm, sounds fair.

Another beautiful day, and after work I get to go mow. My friend's boy only did part of the yard the other day, so I'm going to finish it. Then Tiger can go out in the back yard and his feet will turn green.

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old May 3rd, 2023, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hi guys, yesterday it snowed, yep on May 2nd! It was a good day to go take our grand daughter out to lunch. Her last day of classes at CMU is Thursday and her graduation is Saturday. She is going to start at Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minn in July! So proud of her!!
After checking out engine on the 09 F150 I found I really didn't need to remove it completely, but it made it easier for assembly. On that truck you have to remove or replace the engine with the intake off of it to reach the rear most bolts. It is a PIA. And it being lifted doesn't help.. Ahh.... my own choice to do it.
Greg - Congrats on your granddaughter's graduation, you have every right to be a proud Grandpa! What did she get her degree in if you don't mind me asking?

Sounds like you're moving right along on the truck, nice job! I talked to my Sister yesterday and she told me they had snow 2-days even down in Battle Creek but she said none of it stuck because the ground was too warm.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Today is May 3. Thirty years ago today was my first day of class for A&P mechanic. Ah and look where I am now. It seems like it was forever ago.
Mike - Congrats on the work anniversary, an accomplishment to be proud of!
Old May 3rd, 2023, 10:04 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks Chris. I should have put that differently. I started school to get my license May 3, I didn't start with Delta until March of 94. You know what's funny, I was the only guy in school who worked for Delta. Pretty much everyone worked for American. It was their school.

Another thing that amused me was I had a 91 S10 shortbed. A buddy of mine in class had a 92. The teacher had a 93. We'd park next to each other and it looked like a Chevy lot. You know I miss that S10. I put 100K on it in 4 years. Alas, something more flashy caught my eye and the S10 was down the road.

We have an extra wall guy today, because we are short a mechanic, so I've got 7 extra wheels, which has helped put me at 29 wheels. After break I'm sure we'll get to the required 34 easily. No word on the Jet Drag but I understand the teams from Salt Lake City are going last. They always win. Of course they always bring the most money, and if they didn't win I'm sure they wouldn't be in as much of a hurry to bring all that money. I'm not saying the fix is in, but...

Old May 3rd, 2023, 11:15 AM
Running On Empty

After golf I got in my car, the '71 CS convertible, & there was a note from Wet Panties asking me to call her.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
After golf I got in my car, the '71 CS convertible, & there was a note from Wet Panties asking me to call her.
Norm - Hope it pans out and she wants the car!
For those who haven't heard, there's an active shooter situation in downtown Atlanta with at least 1 dead, 4 injured, and the shooter still at large!
Old May 3rd, 2023, 12:05 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Speaking of active shooters - what's the update on your non-BIL's daughter fiasco?
Old May 3rd, 2023, 12:30 PM

Chris - Speaking of active shooters - what's the update on your non-BIL's daughter fiasco?
Norm - The warrant that supposedly was going to be issued against the shooter of BIL's son has never materialized and it's been several weeks now since I was told that warrant was imminent? BIL's granddaughter who was charged with conspiracy to commit murder is out on bond awaiting more court proceedings. No other charges have been filed. That's about all I know, so not much has changed.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; May 3rd, 2023 at 01:18 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 12:56 PM

Chirs, technically, its Mid town [between downtown and Buckhead]
Old May 3rd, 2023, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chirs, technically, its Mid town [between downtown and Buckhead]
Thanks for the clarification, I'm sure you realize I was just repeating what the news outlet said.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 01:49 PM

Chris, don't sweat the small suff. Now I'm hearing he may be way out in East Cobb near the baseball stadium. In reality no one knows FTW is going on. They are just taking up air time with talking heads
Old May 3rd, 2023, 03:00 PM

State Police helicopter circling around here for the last 45 minutes. No idea why. They got 27" of snow, for a record up in Herman, Mi. in the U.P. Gonna go out after the local news and spray weed killer on the lawn.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 04:32 PM

Good evening guys,

I had a full and productive day. Got out to the garage around 9am and started cleaning the 442. I've had it out several times already this year with only spot cleaning up until today. Hoping to go to another judged show this coming Saturday so it really needed a thorough cleaning. First I cleaned the vinyl top and then treated it with 303 Aerospace vinyl protectant. That stuff really makes it look nice without any greasy type of feel, plus it has UV protectant. Then I cleaned all the painted exterior surfaces and then treated/polished with Meguiar's Gold Class High Gloss detailer. That took me until about 1pm. Took a break and then did my weight lifting workout until 3pm. Then I went out and mowed the yard until 5pm. Just got finished with a nice dinner that included BBQ Pork Chops, Cracker Barrel White Cheddar Mac & Cheese, and peas. Now I might need a nap before watching something on the boob tube. Hope ya'll have a great evening!
Old May 3rd, 2023, 04:54 PM
Running On Empty

Having lunch tomorrow with ahigh school friend His dad was Way ahead if his time and interviewed King way back https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/k...ur-information He owned a radio station WAOK and gave us free tickets to see all the great shows, Saw James brown several times
Jim - Hope you had an enjoyable lunch w/ your friend. I read the article, then I spent about 20'-30' reading (again) the history of Martin Luther (not King), then another 10'-15' reading the history of Martin Luther King, Sr & Martin Luther King, Jr. I enjoy reading the written history of stuff. In graduate school I took a History of Science class. During my academic career I was always interested in the historical aspects of each of my science courses. The History of Science class was like icing on the cake.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 04:57 PM
Running On Empty

I've made "some" decent contributions to our 9-Hole Shootout team each week - nothing stellar; none-the-less each of the teams I've been a member of have placed twice 1st place & twice 2nd place. It's like a river of $$ at the moment.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 05:20 PM

I've made "some" decent contributions to our 9-Hole Shootout team each week - nothing stellar; none-the-less each of the teams I've been a member of have placed twice 1st place & twice 2nd place. It's like a river of $$ at the moment.
Norm - Congrats, that's great! Never hurts to have a little extra jingle in the pocket!
Old May 4th, 2023, 12:07 AM

For the past few months I've been half a$$ looking at mental buildings to store equipment. I have decided on thirty feet by sixty feet with four roll up doors and one outside walk in door to a shop area on the end with one window and another walk thru door from the inside into the shop So far I've gotten two bids. One approximately 17k and one for 34K for [as best I can tell the exact same buildings] Norm, I know you have a man cave [and maybe others] WTF is the difference in pricing Metal gauge? What kind of questions should I be axing? Tanks for you insightshttps://carportguycompetitivebuildings.bitrix24.com/pub/im.file.php?FILE_ID=12495&SIGN=12495.6cda9652add81 5317ca88136aa1dac2525b10a83b595642e55806fe2d454b1f 1&img=y#img.png I know its s super competitive business does salesmen commission play a part on price differences?
Old May 4th, 2023, 03:38 AM

Jim, 17 grand seems really cheap, seems something is wrong or too good to be true... I'm not a expert though. 34 grand quote must be without concrete floor? Last quotes I have heard for pole barns, etc were much more than that.
Old May 4th, 2023, 05:00 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I posted some numbers previously on this thread or another thread & I was looking at my original ordering forms when I erected the building because I was cleaning out old tax forms and reviewing stuff when doing this year's taxes. I'll look up those numbers later this afternoon. I posted the name of the company I ordered from, as well.

My 30' x 40' concrete pad = $6500.00 (that I recall with certainty).
I think the building came out to be ~$11K (don't take my word for it). This did NOT include the price of brand name "Overhead Door" company doors.
This does not include cost of my (buddy) contractor wages, etc.

Things which come to mind off the top of my head:
Style of building: Curved (center dome) vs. straight (non-curved). My building is 14' H exterior/perimeter walls and 14'7" H at center.
Wind speed construction - my building is warrantied to a certain wind-speed. Can't recall what it is though. Just like the "Overhead Door" door company wanted to know the wind-speed factor for the doors. Mine are rated @ 135 mph - hurricane wind speed.
Number of doors & their openings. Think this one through w/ regards to size for equipment and utility of the large openings for doors you want as the CAD program for the metal building will use this information to determine size of metal purlins/girders, etc.
Where do you want windows? Think wind direction for ventilation is what I did.
Do you want a fan opening and a fan installed to purchase. Optional.
Do you want insulation? I have none - it's a vestibule for mold and mildew, IMO, my building is not climate controlled (no A/C) I use portable heaters - I really don't have a pressing need for an installed heater in North Carolina.
Regarding the doors & windows just evaluate the types of doors and windows. The Overhead Doors - you want windows in them? You want them insulated?

I need to get busy - when I get more time I'll respond w/ more info.
One thing I'll point out. If you intend to have a "buddy" (contractor) or someone you know build the building but they've not erected a metal building - they're easy to erect - pretty straight-forward, honestly. Complete set of blueprints come with everything including all the washers, nuts, bolts, seam material, screws, etc. Perimeter walls concrete base plate fasteners - can't recall if they came with the building or not - I attached my perimeter walls to the concrete then I insulated the bottoms of the wall to the concrete. MY POINT: When you get ready to unload the semi-tractor trailer with all the building materials, plan to install your center-beam girders and four corner metal posts during the same time you rent the lift to unload the trailer. You'll save some $$ and not have to rent the type machine - again. Unload the building with the lift, then use the lift to erect the four corner posts and the cross girders the same day or next day.
Old May 4th, 2023, 05:49 AM

Greg No concrete floor included
Old May 4th, 2023, 06:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good start to the day, and we're having tacos for lunch. Sounds like a good Thursday.

Jamesbo I'm jealous. I want to put up a building but I need to save my nickels for the one I want. 50x100 and 14 feet tall.

Norm did you have to dry your hands after reading that note?

My friend has convinced me to have a nice lawn. I want one anyway but don't have that talent. He talked about fertilizer, pre-emergent(?) and other things I had no idea what they are. I'm just going to focus on the front yard, and not the side or the back right now. I had a nice yard when I lived up home, because it was small, and I've always struggled to keep the yard decent ever since owning my own home. Maybe this time I can do it. That's what youtube is for.

My God Dan. Twenty seven inches of snow in May? I'm twitching. I moved to Atlanta in January and we had been having a full winter up to that point, and at the ripe old age of 29 I thought, geez, I don't think I can go through another winter... Well, my first day at work at the new airport, it was chilly in the mornings but we were in shirtsleeves by afternoon. I said, I could get used to this. That was the only time it was warm in February. I was duped.

Computer says it's sunny out so I'll take a walk to the roll up door and see it for myself. Hope everyone has a good day. Only one more to go.

Old May 4th, 2023, 09:25 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm did you have to dry your hands after reading that note?
Mike - Not certain what note you're referencing. I'm very occupied outdoors & don't have the ambition to figure it out.
Old May 4th, 2023, 09:29 AM
Running On Empty

I've been removing old (rotted) siding from the side (obviously) of the house preparing for new siding. Having to negotiate some electrical in the process. I'll need to turn off the breakers for the A/C unit and wall outlets for several days. Currently negotiating how many more boards to remove which will provide me time to replace those rotted boards while the sun shines. NEVER a dull moment maintaining vintage/classic ANYTHING.
Old May 4th, 2023, 09:35 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I put some numbers together in February this year for a Metal Building thread - link provided below. A good non-hostile discussion you might be interested in reading.

I purchased my building from Olympia Steel Buildings (2009). Basically same as Joe's.
Dimensions: 30'W x 40'L x 14'7"H (center; 14'0"H side walls) (145 mph wind speed)
Concrete pad (contract): $6500
Building (three windows, one entrance door) (including freight): $15,450
Insulated Overhead Garage Doors x2 (wind speed 135 mph) w/ windows (installed [contract]-non-electric): x1 @ 13'H x 10'W ($2200); x1 @ 8'H x 7'W ($1100): $3300
Electrical (I installed all electrical): $2200
General Contractor Crew (Contract) (close friend): $4,000
Equipment Rentals: $1,000
Total Cost: $32,450 (~$27/sq.ft)

EDIT: Note -
If you plan to contract the electrical, plan to pay at least double, most likely triple the cost of $2200. I'm very **** regarding location, conduit, plugs, wiring, etc. All are three-way plugs, I have seven fluorescent lighting fixtures, 14 electrical duplex boxes at waist height, blah, blah, blah. Lighting circuit is separate from duplex (outlet) circuit(s). All circuits are polarized. Don't forget to include an additional sub-panel if detached from another building plus the main feed to the sub-panel. Enjoy the **** out of yourself.

Prefab Metal Garage

Last edited by Vintage Chief; May 4th, 2023 at 09:43 AM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 09:48 AM
Always room for one more

Norm I was referring to the note Wet Panties put on your car after golf the other day. If you're very occupied outdoors why are you here posting?

The tacos arrived after 1130. Of course this morning the lead said to work right up until the food gets here, so in usual form everyone stopped working at 11 and that was that. If I had to guess the majority will stay on lunch up until 1, and then take the 1oclock break.

I will say the tacos were interesting, but not terrific. I'd call them gourmet tacos. There were fish tacos, chicken tacos, brisket tacos, and cheeseburger tacos. I don't think there were regular tacos. I'm sure this cost the lead a considerable amount, which he paid for himself, and for that I am appreciative.

My friend is coming to visit tomorrow so after work today I need to finish getting ready for him. Tiger always likes when he visits because we have to stop off and get hamburgers to "bribe" Tiger to let my friend in the house. Actually we did that once, because we had to, but after that they were buddies but we keep doing it.

Looks like I was right. It's 1248 and no one is moving. Break in 12 minutes...

Old May 4th, 2023, 09:52 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Ha. Now I get it - funny. I'm taking a break that's why I'm on here posting you little........................
Old May 4th, 2023, 09:56 AM
Running On Empty

I better get back to removing siding since my supervisor (Mike) will start asking questions about my work ethic.
Old May 4th, 2023, 11:29 AM

Wet panties and fish tacos? I may have to close this thread Norm,The specs I just receive says 140mph wind 35psf snow 14 gauge steel 2 1/2inch framing built on 5 foot centers Again no grading or concrete and no electrical JUST the metal structure
Old May 4th, 2023, 01:04 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - I didn’t have time to look at the link although from the file extension it just looked like an image but with no image. Was there a price? I’ll look at it w/in the hour.
Old May 4th, 2023, 01:10 PM
Running On Empty

I’m done working siding for the day. Disconnected & removed the two electrical boxes for the heat & A/C heat pump. When I have to disconnect renovate etc. other peoples work I get so disgusted when I look at the half-*** work others perform. NOBODY does work RIGHT the first time. Irritates the **** out of me. Think anyone gives a rat’s ***? No. They’re all lazy douche nozzles.
Old May 4th, 2023, 01:27 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - OK. I'm reviewing your stuff. One for $17K the other $34K. Where in the hell is the image you were attempting to post? This link you posted goes nowhere & does nothing.
https://carportguycompetitivebuildin....6cda9652add81 5317ca88136aa1dac2525b10a83b595642e55806fe2d454b1f 1&img=y#img.png
Old May 4th, 2023, 01:30 PM

Norm no irs just a drawing

Mike the HIGH end restoration company we spoke about in Florida near the paper mill is Velocity. Google then if you want a 350 k bronco
Old May 4th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Running On Empty

Norm,The specs I just receive says 140mph wind 35psf snow 14 gauge steel 2 1/2inch framing built on 5 foot centers Again no grading or concrete and no electrical JUST the metal structure
Jim - 14 gauge steel 2.5" framing is decent enough, 5 foot centers are good although I can't comment on the appropriate sizing & spanning of the framing since that's derived from the CAD load-bearing requirements for the size of the building an placement of openings (to accommodate doors & windows of varying sizes (each contributing to load capacity). Did they list the gauge of the sheet metal panels they're using? Standards fall w/in 22ga - 29ga range (lower number being stronger). 140 mph wind & 35psf roof load is great. Are you sure the $34K building doesn't include the overhead doors and the $17K building does not include the overhead doors?

Old May 4th, 2023, 01:46 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Well, where's the drawing?
Old May 4th, 2023, 02:11 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Here's an industry chart expressing the thickness of cold-rolled steel (used in metal building fabrication).
NOTE: There is a SIGNIFICANT difference in both thickness & weight of the cold-rolled steel when comparing (example) 14ga to 29 ga. I'm sure you can guess the delta in pricing. 14ga cold-rolled steel is nearly SIX times thicker and nearly SIX times heavier than 29 ga cold-rolled steel. That's huge.
NOTE: Does one building state the purlins, girders and sheet metal panels are anodized? Anodized metal will be more expensive. Be sure you ask them if they're using steel or aluminum.

Old May 4th, 2023, 02:32 PM
Running On Empty

The people I spoke w/ at Olympia Steel Buildings were very accommodating. I gave you the link (above). Call them, they'll easily walk you through your building and get you a price. 1-888-449-7756
There are many metal building companies I'm certain some are far better than others. Be mindful of fly-by-nights - they do exist. Selling CAD engineered steel buildings isn't a child's game and some of the less worthy companies often buy cheap materials from other companies who have already done the work - they buy stuff second-hand then sell it as their own - be aware of these people. Note also, you want this to "go down" well. Truckers make a living moving goods. A reputable metal building company has known good truckers and reputable metal building companies spend money on CAD (engineering) design equipment and the engineers required to spec a building.
Old May 4th, 2023, 03:43 PM

Jim - Well, where's the drawing?
I can't get it from my phone. But as you mentioned it's just a cad drawing both quotes include doors windows and construction but no concrete

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 4th, 2023 at 03:45 PM.
Old May 4th, 2023, 03:45 PM
Running On Empty

If it is a CAD drawing, I'd be really interested in seeing it. Send it to me via a text message.
Old May 4th, 2023, 03:48 PM

Norm it's in FB messages which I can't forward it's above my pay grade

Edit check your messages I tried

Last edited by Jamesbo; May 4th, 2023 at 03:58 PM.