The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2013, 09:25 PM

Darrell - Don't worry boudit! 1-2 feet of snow won't be that bad unless it's the heavy wet stuff.
It's the heavy wet stuff!! It's passing through here on it's way East. Highway and business route US31 were plowed, though washboard rough in many areas, was behind a couple of County plows for a while, but when I turned onto my street...yikes! I have not seen it that bad in a long time, got stuck at the end of my driveway, and woke the neighbors up with my snowblower @ 11:15 pm, had to get the car unstuck. measured 12" in my driveway.
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:16 AM

Mawn'in all

A mite wet an a mite chii dis mawn'in. Think I'm gonna make me up a batch of beef and veggie soup tonite and sum corn bread.

I trust yous foreigners knows dat if ya put sugar in your corn bread ya headed straght to de lower regions of hell.

Olds friends in de "Snow belt" y'all need to be careful up dare. De might be a Cracker driv'in down de same road, We don't mind de mud. [Actually, it's kinda a local sport] but we don't do well in de snow.

Mike, I'm gonna tell you jes like I told de super model las nite. De don't give a whip whar you was born, but cha better have your berf certificate and yous SS card plus 3 pieces of mail dat show ya lives ere. I took a bank statement, a utility bill and a car registration.FWIW an expired passport and an expired pistol permit we're worth toilet paper to them.

y'all have a great day and please be safe.
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:21 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin & TGIF Olds Friends

Jamesbo I made some stew last nite with some skillet cornbread It was delish

Supposed to be a decent weekend for us down ere

Yall have a great day and a safe weekend
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:30 AM

Scot, When you say "skillet corn bread" do you mean fried hot water corn bread?
Old February 8th, 2013, 05:39 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Martha White
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:04 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

We have rain this morning, temps above freezing right now, but they are to fall during the day. The snow is supposed to start around 10:00 this morning. We're only supposed to get 1 - 3 inches, but who knows.... It's gonna be ugly later on.

It's soooooo nice to be in here all by myself! No heaters blastin... I even wore long sleeves today - first time! I figured I would stay comfy since there would be no extra heaters on, and I turned the thermostat down to 65. It's nice!!! I imagine Steve and Brian will be calling in when they get a break at the meeting. It got a little crazy yesterday afternoon around 4:30. Everyone started calling looking for tracking numbers, certs, etc....

I guess Clay is still sick. He didn't call in here and leave a message on anyone's phone, he probably called Steve on his cell. I'm glad he's not here. I don't want the flu!

I have a country radio station on this morning - Brian can't stand country music - so today I'm treating myself. I even have it turned up loud enough that I can hear it, lol!!

Jamesbo.... do you have a new recipe for soup???? We're about due for a new one, lol. Glad you got through your license ordeal okay. Hope you're not traumatized for life, lol!

Dan.... you be careful in all that snow! I am soooo thankful we're not gonna get dumped on this time. I just talked to a customer in Chicago and he said they got about 3 inches there yesterday. So that's what's heading our way.

Darrell....... You all stay safe! I hope you don't get a ton of snow and ice! I feel bad for the people who were affected by hurricane Sandy who are still trying to rebuild and such. They sure don't need any more bad weather.

Scot... what kind of stew did ya make?? I like cornbread. When I make it, I use a pre packaged mix too, lol. Don't read that, Jamesbo!

Clint..... where ya at, bud??

Well you all have a great day.... stay safe!
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:08 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Sandy I made some scrumptious beef stew with fresh veggies in the crock pot that I slow cooked all day yesterday
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:05 AM

Well, according to the local paper we got between 11" & 15" of snow, depending on your location in the county. I called up to Alcoa to make sure the roads were clear (they are), so I just need to get down my street (one block) to get out to where it's clear, so's I can make it to work this afternoon. The snow is done here for now, with it supposing to warm up to 40 on Sunday (my pumps are ready), so you folks on the east coast batten down the hatches and take care.
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy Friday, Oldsmobuddies.... No snow down here; pretty nice, and spose to stay that way until Monday when the wet stuff is due to kick in, into and thru Fat Tuesday, the way it's lookin' now, unfortunately.

Y'all be careful in that white stuff, trimming trees, etc., etc., etc....
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:03 AM

winter games

ok, a game for my southern friends, called "raking the roof" we'll do this tomorrow, the object of the game is to get a snow rake (which doesn't look like a rake) extend all 20' of it, and pull snow off of your roof without dumping it on your head! Come on up, it'll be fun!!
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Aren't snow rakes a blast? Better than climbing up there and slipping off. If the temps are going up on the weekend just leave it to melt off is the other option.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:19 AM

But I worry about the weight of the wet snow on the roof with the rising temps. The plows just went down my street, so it's off to work I go!
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Cutlass Lover

Man has it gotten colder here already!! We have little fine snow and ice pellets coming down now. Tincanio is covered in ice where the rain froze this morning as the temp dropped. I walked about 15 minutes with my scarf over my face and ice pellets hitting my coat, lol. It's down to 25 degrees now. Parking lots are slick out here. I can't imagine what those folks on the right coast are gonna get. I think we'll stay home tonight and do our shopping tomorrow. I worry about Nicole driving to work later.....

What's with this Cadillac ad being on all the pics now that are in the posts? I saw the other thread about the pop ups and such, now this ad is on all the pics???
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Roof trusses are designed with load in mind and local building codes are required to take into account snow mass and shedding. That's one of the reasons for various roof pitches. Unless you have 3 layers of shingles on there, I wouldn't fret about it. As the temp rises there will be even less weight as the snow melts and runs off.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
What's with this Cadillac ad being on all the pics now that are in the posts? I saw the other thread about the pop ups and such, now this ad is on all the pics???
Install Adblocker plus and all the pop ups and ads will go away. Most of those ads also slow your computer down, so defeating them with a free download is a win win.
Old February 8th, 2013, 11:01 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

The sun was out earlier but now it looks dreary. I hope I haven't missed the sunshine for the day.

Got out of work early this morning but not early enough to not sleep until 130. And of course my friend called who is famous for calling when I'm sleeping. Eh, I just deal with it.

Wow two feet of snow up in the northeast. Darrell hang in there. I don't recall getting that much snow all at one time when I lived up home, but we probably did at some point. I probably blocked it from my memory.

I don't see those ads. Somewhere someone posted where those ads come from, and I blocked that website from showing up, in the tool bar, and now I don't see them. I didn't install any ad blockers.

Well I guess I'll go do something. Hope everyone stays safe.
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM

Sandy,

Sautee sum beef stew meat, toss in sum onions, maters, taters, pole beans, baby limas, okrie add a little beef stock and dare ya go. I likes mine with corn bread.
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:33 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone, thanks for the replies. The storm is here, started to come down around 3pm and had about 15" by 9pm. Can't even see across the street because it is coming down so hard. Supposed to get at least another 12-15" by 10am tomorrow. The stuff is wet and heavy, got about halfway done with my driveway and I was soaked all the way though my coat and jeans. Can't wait to go back out and shovel more.
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:39 PM
GM Enthusiast

Went out earlier in my truck and could not believe the amount of people who were stuck. I went on an overpass over the highway and the three cars that were next to me, a VW Passat, Honda Civic and a Chrysler minivan could not get over it and slid down.

Not that often that we get storms this bad here, but at least we still have power.
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:27 PM

Well, Allan my house is a bit old, and the building codes were more than a bit flexible way back then, though the roof is about eight years old and I have only one layer, the trusses are a bit scary looking up in the attic.
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:05 AM
CQR

Morning all. I'm here Sandy. Just now that I'm trying to get coyotes, It's interfering with my puter time. I've been leaving the house about 5:30 in the morning and getting home around ^-^:30 at night. And the missus thinks I spend too much time on here just checking the weather. Started calving this week. Sally dropped a little bull on Thursday morning with no-one around. We weren't real expecting it quite yet. We still had Booger in the pasture (The Daddy Bull) and there were a half dozen yotes there as a welcoming party. Mamma kept her new little guy safe til MIL showed up.

Darell hope the roof holds. The way they made it sound , I thought we were gonna have to repopulate the North east as everyone was gonna perish.
BTW My daughter named the new bull Darrell.

Allan, I sure do miss listening to Mr. Harvey. Even as a young buck I would click on the AM band at noon and 5:30 to listen to TROS. My daughter had no idear Who he was, and the missus and I explained who he was, Then I impersonated his infamous "Good Day!" And My wife eyes got real big and she said, "My God! That sounded just like him!"

Well, I have to go drop the kids off at the pool, then go see if the yotes are gonna show this morning.

Have a great day all. Stay safe!
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:15 AM

Mawn'in all

Really kinda nice down ere dis mawn'in but spose to rain on my golf day.

Sandy, Would ya like to have breakfast, Shall I call ya or hudge ya?

We're hav'in home made biscuits, country ham, grits wit red eye gravy and 2 over easy.
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Always room for one more

Hey everyone, happy Saturday.

What a great day. Sunny, warm(ish), and it all started with the Awful house. Then I went to the old-time junkyard and hung out for awhile. Don't know what I'm going to do now but I guarantee it will be outside.

Was gonna go to Walmart but I think I'll go there tomorrow. I figured I'd rather come home and put up with my neighbor's barking mutt and my dogs trying to chase it through the mud. I'll do WM tomorrow and that is the opportunity to attend Awful house again.

Thirty-six inches of snow in Boston? Yikes. I wonder how long it would take to melt all that with one of those quart sized propane torches. You know the ones you use to melt asphalt tile off the floor with.

Check you all later. I'm going to go enjoy this nice day.
Old February 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM

Recipe fer Sandy

Pommes Anna

Since I batching it tonite, a made a very small Pommes Anna to accompany steak. Normally, I use a much larger pan.

Wash and peel potatoes
Slice potatoes with mandolin and dry on paper towels
Butter non stick skillet
Arrange potato slices in overlapping circular fashion in skillet
Season with salt, pepper, and butter between layers
Sear on stove top, medium heat for 10 min
Place in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes
When done turn upside down onto plate
Slice into pie shaped pieces and serve
Old February 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Well the weatherman was right again. They said we would get 8-16" inches total and we got 32". Took me 6 hours to shovel my driveway, man am I tired. Many of the roads around here have cars stranded on it, it looks like a scene out of the movie The Day After Tomorrow. Unbelieveable. They declared a state of emergency and asked everyone not to go out on the roads. Hopefully everything will be plowed by tomorrow.

Going to chang my sig to state:

I survived Tropical Storm Irene in 2011, Superstorm Sandy in 2012 and the blizzard of 2013. Afraid to ask what's next.
Old February 9th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening All!

We had sun here today, after some morning clouds. Temps about 32, but the sun felt nice. Supposed to be in the 40's tomorrow, then start dropping again, and next week will be one of those up and down weeks, snow and nice days. Wish it would get warm and stay warm, lol.

Darrell.... glad to know you're alright! That much snow really sucks. I don't know what possesses people to go out in that kind of weather, especially when they tell you not to be on the roads. I think you need a snowblower or somethin, lol. I heard that Conn. got pounded too. Sorry, but I'm glad it missed us!!

Steve called work yesterday afternoon around 3:30 and said it was snowing pretty good there in Rome - I guess it's about 30 miles from Syracuse, New York. He said him and Brian thought about leaving then to come home, but decided to wait until this morning so he wouldn't be driving in the dark. I'm assuming they made it back this afternnoon sometime. I sure did like my day and a half all by myself at work!

We went to Wal Mart and Giant Eagle today and got our shopping done. Didn't get home till after 4:00. It was just too cold and crappy last night and I didn't want to go out in it. That wind was sooo cold, and really blowing. I got part of the laundry done and ran the sweeper in the kitchen/dining room this afternoon. Larry made a pot of chili. I didn't get a lot accomplished.

Nicole worked till noon, then went to Tony's. I'm happy she's liking the job!

We're going to my nephews sons wedding next Saturday. I gotta figure out what I'm wearing. I don't like going to these things.

Jamesbo.... those taters look yummy! I might have to try them. Your breakfast looked pretty darned good too. I could do without the gravey on the grits, though.

Well you all stay warm and safe. Darrell, don't ya be hurtin yourself or getting sick! Have a good night, all.
Old February 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM
NOVICE car nut

Evening all

I probably wont be on here much for awhile at least . Things have gotten REAL bad for me know ... to add to this , I now have a deficit in my checking account that I can't fix right away , and I'm gonna get charged daily until it's fixed ....

I'm gonna snap ! lol
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:02 AM

Mawn'in all

Nice dis mawn'in but de rain's headed dis way.

Please don't "Snap" There's too many ahead of ya in the snapp'in line already.

Sandy, Next time we have an early mawn'in repast, I'll bermember ya don't like redeye gravy on your grits.

Welp todays my anniversary, so I best be gett'in off de puter and aniniversaring
Old February 10th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Always room for one more

Happy Sunday everyone.

Darrell that snow sounds epic. That kind of storm might be neat here in Atlanta if I knew I'd be snowed in and couldn't go anywhere. Well, maybe for a day.

Bryan just hold on! Can you take a couple days and just go somewhere to decompress? Ask the bank if they can help you out with the charges. Go work on the car a little, that always soothes my nerves a little.

Beautiful morning out. It's coolish but sunny. Weatherman says cloudy and rain this afternoon. I vote the rain goes elsewhere.

Yesterday afternoon I was busting up concrete with a 10lb sledge and throwing it into a big pile. I needed to relocate a sidewalk so I can build new steps for my back porch. While I was doing that, the dogs were running up and down the fence with the retarded dog next door. They'd run a little then get tired, then a few minutes later they'd run again. All three of us collapsed last night, and were in bed by 930. This morning the dogs are still stiff and limping. They are 7 so I think it's time to start giving them glucosamine with their food.

Gonna do some work to the blue van today. I'm taking it to Florida in a couple weeks so it needs spark plugs and such, and it needs a radio. That will be a long trip with no tunes. Depending on what I get for my "profit sharing" this week I might even get a set of tires for it. I still want to get some nicer rims but haven't found anything I like. Also, I can't find anywhere if rims have certain load limits. This is a heavy vehicle, I don't want to get rims that will fail because they aren't stout enough.

Okay! Time for Awful house and Walmart. Everyone have a good day and for heaven's sake be safe all you northern-type!

PS Happy Anniversay Jamesbo!
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:26 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Sunday Mawnin All

Happy Anniversarian Jamesbo You plans on takin da Supermodel out on the town?

Well my Jerk Russell is living up to her reputation this morning by digging out of the backyard fence I guess she jest learnt to dig

Looks like the rain will move in here this evening and stick around for awhile They are calling for 80% tonight, tomorrow, 70% Tuesday and 30% Wednesday

Whelp I hope everyone has a great Sunday
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:05 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Happy Anniversary Jamesbo. The missus and kid just left for Mary Jane. I think they were a little upset I didn't want to go boarding today. Just don't feel like spending 85 dollars so I can slam my head onto the icy ground. I could do that for free in my own backyard.

Have a great Sunday all.
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:24 AM
GM Enthusiast

Good morning everyone. Sunny here today, I'm sure some snow is gonna melt. The roads are still iced over, not sure how anyone is going to go to work tomorrow or school. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow, that'll be fun.

Jamesbro - have a happy anniversary!

CQR - I have to ask, your daughter named the bull "Darrell". What's the story with that?

Slantflat - we usually handle snow prett well here but you could not tell with this storm. It's amazing how many stranded cars are still all over the road.

Sandy - I agree, anyone out right now without a 4x4 is all over the road, just not safe to drive anywhere.

Going outside to play in the snow with the kids. Hope everyone has a great day.
Old February 10th, 2013, 08:43 AM

Jamesbo...congrats on your anniversary!
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:37 AM
CQR

Darrell, She has this infatuation with the character on 'The Walking Dead'

She thinks he's just dreamy.
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Happy Anniversary Jamesbo.

Clint - I agree. Heck here's a deal for ya. Send me 50 bucks then walk outside and fall down. It's 35.00 less than boarding.....

Scot - Never met a dog yet that didn't find digging irresistable. I still got holes to fill from one 'jerk neighbor's dog.

Darrell - Congrats! If you survived this far you'll go the distance.

Mike - Have fun tuning the van. No radio??? Well you could always do like this:
Old February 10th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Always room for one more

Uh, Allan, I'll be traveling by myself. I haven't seen Dumb and Dumber, why was their van covered in fur?

The Walking Dead is filmed in Senoia, which is about 20 miles from my house. They put up signs when they are ready to film that say please don't mow your lawn.

Darrell I know, most people who live in snow country know what to do when they get a storm. However there's always a few that have no clue and they're the ones you see on the news.

Okay break time is over. Got spark plugs and wires in as well as the distributor cap(the rotor was replaced before and has less than 500 miles on it). My hands are all scratched up. You'd think it would be easy working on a van with the motor sitting next to the seats, but the plugs sit just below the very sharp metal rim of the opening. Eh, as much as this van gets driven I won't have to do this again for 20 years.
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Travelling alone really sucks. You've never seen dumb and dumber??? Oh well you're not missing out on much. Their van is covered like that because Harry (one of the characters) worked as a dog groomer.
Old February 10th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Always room for one more

Funny, the -inside- of my van looks like that.
Old February 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Cutlass Lover

Afternoon All!

Happy Anniversary Jamesbo! Hope you all had a good day.

It was partly sunny this morning, temps were up to 47 degrees. It clouded up real good around 2:00 though. Guess the rain is on the way now, temp is slowly going down. I enjoyed the warmth!

Larry Jr. and Elyse just got here for dinner with us. Larry made a roast today. Nicole is gone to her friend's house, of course. I've been finishing up the laundry, and I cleaned the bathrooms. Didn't do much else today. Just a kinda lazy day. Went out and filled the bird feeders earlier, and tried to chip some of the ice off the deck. The rain should melt most of it.

Clint.... Nicole is in love with Darrell on the Walking Dead too, lol. I've never watched the show. She has the DVD's and I told her I'd watch it with her, but Larry thinks zombies are stupid, soooooo.... so much for that!

Darrell... I heard some of the schools will be closed tomorrow up your way. That's a lot of friggin snow, looking at some of the pics!! I feel so bad about that little boy dying of carbon monoxide poisoning sitting in that car. Why didn't they think to clear the exhaust pipe first? Guess the dad just didn't think about it. Then he goes and has a heart attack. Good God. How sad.

So come August, there will be no more Saturday mail delivery, huh?? I never get anything but bills anyhow.

Well I reckon I'll go eat. Talk to ya later.
Old February 10th, 2013, 04:39 PM

Happy Anniversary Jamesbo!

Hope you have a great day with the supermodel and she treats you kindly