The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2024, 03:39 PM

So the IT guy showed up this afternoon with my 5 month old new computer. Now I get to spend the next couple days installing all the engineering software I had on the old computer. Sure would be nice to have a list of what I used to have instead of going by memory.
Old September 19th, 2024, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
So the IT guy showed up this afternoon with my 5 month old new computer. Now I get to spend the next couple days installing all the engineering software I had on the old computer. Sure would be nice to have a list of what I used to have instead of going by memory.
So, WTF do your IT folks do, are they just your local delivery boy? Seems like they'd be responsible for loading anything you need to do your job???
Old September 19th, 2024, 03:53 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
So, WTF do your IT folks do, are they just your local delivery boy? Seems like they'd be responsible for loading anything you need to do your job???
Exactly. Not all IT departments have the proper budget and some IT departments plain suck donkey *****.

There are numerous ways an IT department could/should have assisted you. At a bear minimum they should have created an image of your current machine which would have captured all the loaded s/w on your old machine. Such a fundamentally easy task to perform. Without being unkind to your IT department, they don't appear to know how to image a computer and install that image onto a newly build machine. Bad IT.
Old September 19th, 2024, 05:02 PM

At my previous company we had a Computer Engineering department that did all configurations and maintenance. They delivered a fully functional system and any time there was any issue, upgrade, etc they took care of it. Here we get a new computer with only the corporate stuff installed (email, remote access, virtual meeting, corporate nanny ware) and it’s up to the user to figure out how to make everything else work. You know, the stuff we actually use in our jobs.

Norm, our IT definitely has a budget. They didn’t like our oscilloscopes with Win7 OS being on the network, so they agreed to buy us new ones for around $50k.

As for capturing an image from a computer that won’t boot up, they’re IT and not Houdini. Also note corporate IT is in Minneapolis and they service 80k employees globally.

Last edited by Fun71; September 19th, 2024 at 05:08 PM.
Old September 19th, 2024, 05:13 PM
Running On Empty

John - What's the status of your microwave oven?
Old September 19th, 2024, 05:24 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
As for capturing an image from a computer that won’t boot up, they’re IT and not Houdini. Also note corporate IT is in Minneapolis and they service 80k employees globally.
Any client computer on a network can easily be configured w/in the BIOS to Boot From PXE (Pre-Boot Configuration Environment). Of course, your IT department would need to know how to Boot From PXE. I can't imagine any network sitting on a domain/forest trust w/ 80K users doesn't have PXE configured on the network. Oh well. Sounds like your local IT are delivery boys - that's a shame.
Old September 19th, 2024, 06:00 PM

Hell, I'm not Houdini, but I can pull hard drives and rig them as slaves in another computer to get files off of, or even boot from a usb and copy the whole drive to it. I'm essentially a weaponized Best Buy these days at work. Kenneth is right, changing computers is hard. I take screenshots of all my programs, make a list to give to IS, backup my bookmarks, and I move my files over before it goes on the network. OneDrive sucks.

Norm, microwave is still down with issues. I have diodes. Going to get door switches and go back in one more time. Using my old Sharp Carousel; I forgot how powerful that thing is; it's a full sized microwave's guts in the next size smaller form factor. It is the F Around and Find Out Apartment Sized Microwave. Plus, it lived in the basement for six years unused and fired right up.
Old September 19th, 2024, 06:36 PM
Running On Empty

John - All of what you described is unnecessary with properly trained efficient IT personnel. Everything you described should be performed automatically via a properly configured/functioning network IT structure. Any organization worth their weight performs several things by default directly out of the gate. I'll provide several best case scenarios from bottom>up. Changing computers is a walk-in-the-park. It's cumbersome for those with no knowledge of networking &/or computer skills. What you're addressing are mere consumer-oriented non-commercial scenarios. Best Buy is the worst-case scenario & employs those who have most likely not graduated past the POST of a computer system.

(1) The organization's double-blind tested external double firewall is configured for internal network traffic ONLY.
(2) The organization has a list of all certified s/w & OS allowed on the network;
(3) Network is disabled by default & located behind the double firewall;
(4) Only select internal DHCP/TFTP/DNS/LANMAN servers are enabled w/ internal private IPv4/IPv6 addresses;
(5) All client/server OS s/w is listed by version & SLA contract(s) on specifically designated organization servers;
(6) Only internally certified client/server OS's are allowed on the network;
(7) Certified OS images are located on select designated DHCP servers;

That's the first seven of ~1100 bullet-proof configuration parameters employed by the best organizations in the world. An entire set of treatises must be discussed regarding network protocols & port traffic. Ha.

Any organization which allows an employee to insert a USB into a client computer doesn't have a very well defined security policy. All your programs and associated s/w must be certified via corporate IT and reside on corporate IT network servers.

Essentially, if your shop allows you to use your own laptop/PC/Notebook or otherwise on the their network they effectively have no security policy. I've seen it all, some organizations you'd think would have learned when they get the multi-million dollar breach in security. Network security is foreboding & vitally essential.
Old September 19th, 2024, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Hell, I'm not Houdini, but I can pull hard drives and rig them as slaves in another computer to get files off of, or even boot from a usb and copy the whole drive to it.
John, I can do that on my own stuff but the corporate machine hard drives have a 64 character bitlocker encryption. Our department tech tried to slave a hard drive and Win10 wouldn’t even recognize it. Win7 recognized it but couldn’t do anything with it.
Old September 19th, 2024, 07:27 PM
Running On Empty

Kenneth - Did they use the 8x6 (48 digit) Recovery Key prior to attempts to slave the HDD?
Old September 19th, 2024, 07:38 PM
Running On Empty

Using my old Sharp Carousel; I forgot how powerful that thing is; it's a full sized microwave's guts in the next size smaller form factor. It is the F Around and Find Out Apartment Sized Microwave. Plus, it lived in the basement for six years unused and fired right up.
I had a Sharp Carousel in grad school. I had ample opportunities to kill it. I don't believe you can kill them.
Old September 19th, 2024, 08:02 PM
Running On Empty

Hopefully my local Ace Hardware will be open tomorrow so I can see what cabinet drawer top-mount center monorail slide tracks they might carry. If you recall they were closed yesterday because their floor flooded from this deluge of rain we've received. Fingers crossed. This afternoon we were slammed with another 2" - 3" of rain from several thunderstorms. My backyard quickly turned into a lake again w/ ~6" to 1' of standing water. This is more rain than we normally would get during a hurricane. I haven't seen this much rain in forever around here.
Old September 20th, 2024, 05:12 AM
Running On Empty

Will finish putting new drawer liners in the cabinets then head to Ace Hardware in search of the elusive top-mount center monorail. Tee-time 12:00 noon. I'm suspicious the course will be open with the additional amounts of rainfall. Soggy bottoms around here.
Old September 20th, 2024, 05:24 AM
Running On Empty

Called the club...course is open (cart path only). Won't be any roll to the ball today.
Old September 20th, 2024, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Called the club...course is open (cart path only). Won't be any roll to the ball today.
Norm - Good luck finding the drawer hardware and don't forget to take your hip waders to the course.
Old September 20th, 2024, 07:25 AM
Running On Empty

Norm - Good luck finding the drawer hardware and don't forget to take your hip waders to the course.
Chris - Thanks Close to giving up on the single drawer h/w. I'm putting it on the deep back burner. One of the novelties about residing in Podunk - I don't have many options available. Spoke w/ a couple cabinet makers; yet, they're into building brand new cabinets w/ brand new h/w. Might not find this piece. Oh well. Time marches on....
Old September 20th, 2024, 08:33 AM

DMV ladies are a mixed bag. I can deal with a nice dumb one, or a mean smart one. Never dealt with a mean, dumb one. Had a nice one that was a little slow today. They tried to keep a lot of my paperwork but I made sure to get it back. She got help and got what I needed done.
Old September 20th, 2024, 08:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Done with lunch and I stopped with 19 wheels. No one seems to be in a big hurry today. Once 230 hits I'm out the door for the weekend. Family is coming up from Orlando to visit and move furniture. Fun. They are coming to help me, under the guise of I've helped them so much, and of course to visit Mom. I'll try to pay them, we'll see how that goes.

Tiger stayed home today. Mom wants to clean and she thinks he'll mess things up as soon as she cleans. Plus she doesn't want him around with the family. Which is actually fine with me, there are two little kids and they pull his tail. So far there hasn't been any trouble, but I've told the parents in the past, if they keep doing it they'll get bit. Tiger really just leaves them alone otherwise, they seek him out to play. Best not to have the situation. I hate that he'll be alone so much of the weekend. He probably won't mind.

Beautiful out. I walked past the roll up door earlier, can't wait to get out of here. The 5S thing is coming back. One of the suggestions on the big dry erase board is to put windows in the shop. Hey, Minnihopeless got a bathroom put in when someone suggested it. Stranger things...

Okay have a good day everyone.

Old September 20th, 2024, 11:24 AM
Art S

Chris - Thanks Close to giving up on the single drawer h/w. I'm putting it on the deep back burner. One of the novelties about residing in Podunk - I don't have many options available. Spoke w/ a couple cabinet makers; yet, they're into building brand new cabinets w/ brand new h/w. Might not find this piece. Oh well. Time marches on....
Norm did you look through that site? I saw they have a pretty big selection of slides and there was one that I think is what you are describing. https://www.dlawlesshardware.com/fur.../center-mount/
Old September 20th, 2024, 12:21 PM

DMV ladies are a mixed bag. I can deal with a nice dumb one, or a mean smart one. Never dealt with a mean, dumb one. Had a nice one that was a little slow today. They tried to keep a lot of my paperwork but I made sure to get it back. She got help and got what I needed done.
John - I usually don't have much nice to say about the Missouri DMV, especially after my arduous and drawn out affair getting Historic Plates for the '67. However, they have done one thing right, their online plate renewal functionality is sweet. After getting my inspections yesterday, I got online this morning and accomplished a 2-year plate renewal for the truck and it only took 5-minutes. New tabs on the way!
Old September 20th, 2024, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.

Family is coming up from Orlando to visit and move furniture. Fun. They are coming to help me, under the guise of I've helped them so much, and of course to visit Mom.
Mike - I hope you have a nice visit with your family, and good luck with the moving, it's nice you have help.
Old September 20th, 2024, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
The 5S thing is coming back.
Mike, don't let management catch you watching this:

Old September 20th, 2024, 02:49 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - Enjoy your family.

Art - I looked through the site the other day but it was a quick look-see. I'll have another look.

Kenneth - Global 5S Initiative. WTF, WTF LMAO

Chris - NC has an excellent on-line plate renewal system, as well - all on-line, but they scab you for $3.00 for each renewal. Phuque 'em. I send mine in via snail mail.

Spanked whitey quite nicely today. Club Championship next weekend (9/28-29). Not that I have a chance in hell (most likely) but I plan to eat large and the food is excellent.
Old September 20th, 2024, 03:16 PM

Chris - NC has an excellent on-line plate renewal system, as well - all on-line, but they scab you for $3.00 for each renewal. Phuque 'em. I send mine in via snail mail.
Our DMV charges $1.52 for online processing, worth every penny for not having to drag myself into the bowels of Hell! $65.02 for 2-year renewal, not bad.

Good luck at the tourney and enjoy yourself!
Old September 20th, 2024, 03:20 PM
Running On Empty

Our DMV charges $1.52 for online processing, worth every penny for not having to drag myself into the bowels of Hell! $65.02 for 2-year renewal, not bad.

Good luck at the tourney and enjoy yourself!
There's no dragging myself into the bowels of hell writing a check and sending it to DMV.

Thanks. The tourney is next weekend. Plenty of time for my game to go downhill.
Old September 20th, 2024, 03:28 PM

There's no dragging myself into the bowels of hell writing a check and sending it to DMV.
I was only speaking in reference to myself as we don't have the option to mail in a check, only in person or online.
Old September 20th, 2024, 03:36 PM
Running On Empty

I was only speaking in reference to myself as we don't have the option to mail in a check, only in person or online.
Seriously!?! You can't send them a check? Why I.....!!!
Old September 20th, 2024, 03:53 PM
Running On Empty

NC resides in the so-called Southern Bible Belt. I have no idea WTF I'm doing here. The liquor stores are all ABC stores. You've never seen anything so A$$ backwards in your life. I could easily step onto the soap box here, but it's meaningless to do so. When I moved here (1998) all ABC stores (the ONLY place you can purchase liquor) were only allowed to sell liquor in those little airplane bottles. I think it was ~2001 they (local political ABC affiliate) allowed them to begin selling quarts & fifths.

All vehicle registration, titling, license plates, etc. is conducted via privately owned & operated vehicle registration entities. These "entities" receive their authority from the NC DMV; yet, these entities are privately owned & operated. It's like the mother load of all cluster Phuques what they have going on here.
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:00 PM

Mike - Enjoy your family.

Art - I looked through the site the other day but it was a quick look-see. I'll have another look.

Kenneth - Global 5S Initiative. WTF, WTF LMAO

Spanked whitey quite nicely today. Club Championship next weekend (9/28-29). Not that I have a chance in hell (most likely) but I plan to eat large and the food is excellent.
Although I have mixed feelings about Toyota, they did teach me the importance of cleaning up and wearing protective gear.
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:04 PM
Running On Empty

Although I have mixed feelings about Toyota, they did teach me the importance of cleaning up and wearing protective gear.
Someone needs to explain what you said to me because it flew directly over my head like a migrating Sandhill Crane.
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:06 PM

Someone needs to explain what you said to me because it flew directly over my head like a migrating Sandhill Crane.
I was commenting on the 5S.
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:06 PM

On the other hand, sandhill cranes apparently are good eating.
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:11 PM

All vehicle registration, titling, license plates, etc. is conducted via privately owned & operated vehicle registration entities. These "entities" receive their authority from the NC DMV; yet, these entities are privately owned & operated. It's like the mother load of all cluster Phuques what they have going on here.
Lord don't I know it, that's why I said renewing online keeps me from going into the bowels of Hell, all of our License/Titling Offices are privately owned too, complete cluster Phuques!
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:16 PM
Running On Empty

On the other hand, sandhill cranes apparently are good eating.
Ribeye of the sky they say.
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:18 PM

Talking

Norm post a picture of the part I'm curious. Dad was a cabinet maker back in the day. I was his young apprentice. Before cordless tools, my job was to anticipate his next move and plug in, re-chuck bit drivers, or drill bits, thinking what he may be in need of next.
It was a fun game. What I did not enjoy was the "Run to the box and get me a ------ , I looked and could not find or see it....Then "Jebuzz Chrice I should have just looked myself" Dad was under a bunch of pressure to keep up with everything, but sometimes his patience went from 55 to 0. I did learn from that, put things back from where they came from, next time you need it, it is there.

Last edited by otto72; September 20th, 2024 at 04:35 PM.
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:29 PM
Running On Empty

Keith - Very nice of you to offer. Unfortunately, I'd have to remove a top-mount center monorail slide - that isn't going to happen at this point. But seriously, thank you for the offer.
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:38 PM

Norm, a question for you. I got a notification from Google telling that I have used up all of my storage (15MB), and need to pay them for more storage. I can no longer upload pics to google photos. I have no mail in my Gmail account (rarely used), and in the last two weeks deleted about 3000 photos from Google Photos, yet I still have no more storage. Why, if I deleted those photos, have I not gained back some storage?
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:41 PM
Running On Empty

Dan - You have (or did have) 15MB storage remaining when you got the notice? And, then you deleted ~3,000 images & your storage space hasn't increased, yet?
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:44 PM

Dan - You have (or did have) 15MB storage remaining when you got the notice? And, then you deleted ~3,000 images & your storage space hasn't increased, yet?
Correct. Oh, and 15 GB, not MB
Old September 20th, 2024, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

Right, you get 15 GB free. I don't use Google storage but I'll help you out should be pretty simple.

How much storage does it say you have at this location?

https://photos.google.com/quotamanagement