The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
Running On Empty

Way too late for me. Golf maņana.
Old Today, 03:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Rain has been in full swing for the past 18 hours here. Not too heavy, but persistent. No wind yet, but it's coming. I think I'd rather have rain than wind. The news people around here tend to be alarmists and over predict what's going to happen, but if things are half as bad as they say it won't be any picnic.

I'm related to Clark of Lewis and Clark. I used to work with a guy names Lewis who was related to Lewis of L&C. I worked with him a lot because the lead thought it was funny that when we worked together we were Lewis and Clark.

Mom used to live in Avon Park. Talk about the middle of nowhere. There's a boat show in Mt. Dora that I've wanted to go to, but it's always when I'm in Australia. The Amphicars have crashed the show for years. I'm not sure the people that put the boat show on are all that happy about it, we just started showing up one year.

"Reduced" number at work today. It's the regular number except in the summer when they inflate it because of the summer schedule. The retriever was broke a lot of yesterday, plant maintenance said they'd fix it for good after we went home. We'll see how they did.

Okay gotta prepare for wheels. Ya I got awhile. Hope everyone has a good day and no storms in your life.

Old Today, 04:11 AM

Hi.guys,

Wife's surgery this morning. Had to be up at O-dark-thirty to be here at the hospital at 0530. This should not be a difficult procedure and we should be home before noon. Will update you all later.

Have a great day!

Old Today, 04:46 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
A Grub?

A Grub? WTH was I thinking? Actually, I couldn't muster up the word I was attempting to describe his role, but one minute after I turned off the computer it dawned on me - I think a "scout" would be appropriate.
Old Today, 04:53 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - They fix the retriever?
Chris - Hope surgery goes w/o a hitch.
Old Today, 05:01 AM

Mike - They fix the retriever?
Chris - Hope surgery goes w/o a hitch.
Thanks Norm! We're still in her surgical waiting room. Anesthesiologist has been in, still waiting on her Surgeon to drop in. They should be taking her back to surgery within the half hour. Hurry up and wait. You know the drill.
Old Today, 05:42 AM
Always room for one more

I believe they fixed it just in time for break. All this equipment is over 30 years old. It must be worth it to the company to have continual down time and repairs rather than to replace it.

Chris I must be recalcitrant but I completely missed that your wife was having surgery today. Hope it's nothing serious. Best wishes for her procedure and recovery.

So far just light rain. Maybe I'll fire up the big truck when I get home just in case of severe destruction, that way I can still get around. Not sure I could get Mom or Tiger for that matter up in the cab in case we needed to bug out. I am going to ditch the convertible in favor of the pickup. I still haven't figured out what his problem was last week but I have my friend's scanner, I'll just carry it with me, and if it goes into limp mode I'll clear the code right then.

Errands after work. Maybe.

Old Today, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Chris I must be recalcitrant but I completely missed that your wife was having surgery today. Hope it's nothing serious. Best wishes for her procedure and recovery.
Thanks Mike! Non-cancer related (at least that we know of) procedure associated with middle aged female issues. It should not be complicated or dangerous.

So much for Best Laid Plans though, her OB/GYN/Surgeon was called away to deliver a baby right before they were going to wheel my wife back. Not too bad a delay though, it was only about a 30 to 40-minute delay. She was taken back to surgery about 15-minutes ago.
Old Today, 08:05 AM
Running On Empty

Helene wind gusts at landfall estimated 150mph - 162mph (currently 105mph sustained expected to increase to 120mph at landfall)
Pressure dropped to 960mb (28.35"Hg, 13.9psi)

Tee-time 12:30pm
Old Today, 09:57 AM

Helene wind gusts at landfall estimated 150mph - 162mph (currently 105mph sustained expected to increase to 120mph at landfall)
Pressure dropped to 960mb (28.35"Hg, 13.9psi)

Tee-time 12:30pm
Ya, Helene is looking ugly, I'm seeing predictions of storm surge of 15 to 20ft.
Old Today, 10:01 AM

Hi guys,

We are home from my wife's surgery. It all went well and she's doing fine. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers they were all very much appreciated!
Old Today, 10:38 AM
Always room for one more

Good news! Now the puppies can help her get better!

Old Today, 11:26 AM

We are home from my wife's surgery. It all went well and she's doing fine. Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers they were all very much appreciated!
Good to hear that it went well.
Old Today, 11:59 AM

Good news! Now the puppies can help her get better!
Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Good to hear that it went well.
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your caring and support!
Old Today, 01:27 PM

Maybe I'll fire up the big truck when I get home just in case of severe destruction, that way I can still get around. Not sure I could get Mom or Tiger for that matter up in the cab in case we needed to bug out.
I bought one of these so the older dog could get into the back of the Jeep. It folds in half and I was able to stash it behind the drivers seat with a strap to keep it from falling over.

Old Today, 02:02 PM
Always room for one more

That's a good idea Kenneth, but the Deuce is about twice as tall as the car in the picture. I wouldn't want Tiger to ride in that anyway, it's just too darn loud.

We did about 80 wheels today. Not 132. The retriever kept breaking, and one of the robots was broke for awhile. The lead seemed nonplussed. We're working both Saturday and Sunday so that should help.

We're supposed to have 80 mile an hour wind until 8 tomorrow morning. The lead says we're working. But if we can't get in safely then don't try. Hm. I think Hurricane Stockbridge is going to spin up over night.

Old Today, 03:14 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - Happy to hear surgery went well.
Mike - Dollars to donuts your lead is a no-show tomorrow. Surprised he didn't instruct everyone to remain on-site & sleep in the hangar tonight (except him, of course). So much for the notion "...plant maintenance said they'd fix it for good after we went home."
Old Today, 03:27 PM

That's a good idea Kenneth, but the Deuce is about twice as tall as the car in the picture.
There's a product for every situation.

Old Today, 04:09 PM

Chris - Happy to hear surgery went well.
Thanks Norm, I really appreciate your support, it means alot!
Old Today, 04:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Thanks Norm, I really appreciate your support, it means alot!
A long day I'll bet. Before I left to play golf I think they were finally getting to the point of rolling her into the surgical suite ~0830 I think? Yeah, that's a long day to get up, get ready, drive to hospital to be there by 5:30am, delay for a child birth. A rather stressful roller coaster ride - y'all will sleep well tonight.
Old Today, 04:44 PM

y'all will sleep well tonight.
Yes, it has been a long day, and we certainly should sleep well tonight! Glad that damn alarm clock won't be going off at 0400 again, that was like a bad flashback to when I had to do real work.
Old Today, 05:23 PM
Running On Empty

Helene
942 mb (27.82 inches)
Tropical Storm winds outwards to 310 miles
Cat 4, possible Cat 5 by landfall
Sustained winds of 130 mph gusts of 160 mph
Old Today, 05:39 PM
Running On Empty

I've set this GOES SAT to 48 hrs. Give it ~30 seconds to transfer data. Likely hundreds of thousands of users downloading this SAT loop.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...ength=48&dim=1
Old Today, 06:06 PM

I've set this GOES SAT to 48 hrs. Give it ~30 seconds to transfer data. Likely hundreds of thousands of users downloading this SAT loop.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...ength=48&dim=1
That looks incredibly cool, but not after you think about the devastation it's going to cause! My prayers for anyone who has loved ones in peril because of it.
Old Today, 06:09 PM

That's an impressive storm and an impressive satellite.

I drove the truck to the polebarn and checked it out. I then drove the truck to the storage units and parked. Fired up the van. It is driving ok. I think it needs the planned tuneup. Drove it around some, parked in the polebarn next to my Monte Carlo. Walked to storage units, got truck, went home.
Old Today, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
That's an impressive storm and an impressive satellite.

I drove the truck to the polebarn and checked it out. I then drove the truck to the storage units and parked. Fired up the van. It is driving ok. I think it needs the planned tuneup. Drove it around some, parked in the polebarn next to my Monte Carlo. Walked to storage units, got truck, went home.
John - Glad you were able to get your vehicles moved to where you want them. You may need to get your future outbuilding on a fastrack plan???
Old Today, 06:44 PM
Running On Empty

I used to fish Cedar Key, FL (~once/month over 5 years), I've SCUBA cavern dived Genny Springs, Crystal Springs, canoed each river in & around Big Bend, FL including the Suwanee, blah, blah, blah. The saving grace about Big Bend is it is located on the North side of Apalachee Bay & is a "region" with very few towns and a very limited population. Think of a large swamp/marshland which extends from the coastline about 40 miles>50 miles inland about 60 miles in diameter. You need hip waders to walk through it - e.g. dismal swampland. The direct hit which should occur in about 20' - 30' will be absolutely devastating. Storm surge of most likely 20' above ground will rush in at least 60 miles - 70 miles inland. Anyone who lives there has hopefully evacuated. Tallahassee, is going to be devastated. I'm sure the hospitals, nursing homes, etc. have removed all residents/patients by now. I just looked at that updated satellite loop I posted above - looks like landfall is ~ 10' away. Flora/Fauna are like - WTF!
Old Today, 07:09 PM
Running On Empty

I just looked up high tide for Big Bend, FL. High tide is ~12:00AM. High Tide @ Big Bend is ~3.1' above MSL. Water which normally weighs 8.5 lbs/gallon @ 14.7" psi (1013 mb, 29.92"Hg) @ MSL will be far less dense @ 13.9" psi (960 mb, 28.35"Hg) meaning its far easier to raise a column of water and move larger more massive amounts water. Considering high tide is coming in, this means water will move further inland but then get trapped in the reverse outgoing tide as the water moves back out to sea. There's likely a far greater possibility bridges/roads collapsing from the outgoing tide as it rushes nearly all at once back out into the Gulf.