The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old September 18th, 2024, 11:27 AM
Always room for one more

Damn lunch cost me 26 bucks today. Someone was having a fundraiser for those guys that got killed and that was 10. Cheeseburger, chips, pop. And it's Wednesday so I went to Skinny's, the Korean place run by Mexicans. That was 16. Eh, it's only money.

Those boards look good in the pictures John. My best friend is an engineer and I always kid him, saying we shouldn't get along, because engineers and mechanics don't mix.

Chris. Drink. You'll feel better. At least what ails you won't be the shots. Different kind of shots maybe.

We're doing well with wheels, and since we're leaving in the next few minutes, we should hit the number. Gosh, we got the number back, I guess the tragedy is over. That's mean. Though it's always been take care of yourself until it costs the company money.

Got my plans set for the Turkey Rod Run. If you have the opportunity to go to this, do it. I'd say over a thousand cars and tons of food and a huge swap meet. This of course is over Thanksgiving. It's all in the infield of the Daytona race track.

I'm also going to the Corvair Lover's picnic the first weekend of November. That should be a good time. Wish I had a Corvair to take, but I don't think it would fit in the overhead bin.

Oh the lead is here. See ya.

Old September 18th, 2024, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
John - The ONLY way to remove the bumps is w/ a sandy between EVERY application. They look great. As stated you're not a cabinet maker. Nice work.
Norm, I followed my buddy's advice which is, one coat, then hard with a green scratchy, then a tack cloth, then the poly. I was not beating on them hard enough with the scratchy, and also, my coats are too thick.
Old September 18th, 2024, 12:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Norm, I followed my buddy's advice which is, one coat, then hard with a green scratchy, then a tack cloth, then the poly. I was not beating on them hard enough with the scratchy, and also, my coats are too thick.
John - Ya dun good.

Think I'll take a breather head to Town Hall drop off my payment for water, sewage & waste removal. Oh yeah, my tax bill arrived - that made my day.
Old September 18th, 2024, 01:15 PM

Well I’m useless at work today. My computer went TU mid-morning. Interesting that a while back, maybe 6 months or more, IT said they were sending me a new computer. I never heard anything again, and the new computer never arrived. Tried to use the department’s spare laptop and discovered it won’t open Microsoft files from anywhere except my personal OneDrive folder. Too bad as we have multiple department servers where we keep all of our work files, and that computer says “no you don’t”. Must be some security setting in Windows 11 to keep my company computer safe from the company’s network.Ya know, those threats from IT and all my coworkers.

So here I sit browsing the Internet on one of the physician programmer tablets.
Old September 18th, 2024, 01:28 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
Well I’m useless at work today. My computer went TU mid-morning. Interesting that a while back, maybe 6 months or more, IT said they were sending me a new computer. I never heard anything again, and the new computer never arrived. Tried to use the department’s spare laptop and discovered it won’t open Microsoft files from anywhere except my personal OneDrive folder. Too bad as we have multiple department servers where we keep all of our work files, and that computer says “no you don’t”. Must be some security setting in Windows 11 to keep my company computer safe from the company’s network.Ya know, those threats from IT and all my coworkers.

So here I sit browsing the Internet on one of the physician programmer tablets.

MS OneDrive is tied specifically to your "local" account via permissions (by default). OneDrive storage resides in the Cloud & requires your "local" account & permissions which obviously don't reside on another computer/PC, etc. The OneDrive folder is "protected" via your "local" credentials/permissions.
Old September 18th, 2024, 01:31 PM

I lost a lot of data to one drive last year. It is a typical large corporation / big government shylock deal where they "give" you something that is worse, in return for all your rights / data.

Funny thing is I am actually a part of IT now, despite spending 17 years cussing them.
Old September 18th, 2024, 01:34 PM

MS OneDrive is tied specifically to your "local" account via permissions (by default). OneDrive storage resides in the Cloud & requires your "local" account & permissions which obviously don't reside on another computer/PC, etc. The OneDrive folder is "protected" via your "local" credentials/permissions.
I log onto the other (or any company) computer using my credentials and I get full access to everything. The problem is not access to OneDrive; it is the opposite. The computer is refusing to open documents that ARE NOT in OneDrive. Which is every document my and other departments have. We work on network drives, not OneDrive.
Old September 18th, 2024, 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

I should note. When you move files etc. into a OneDrive folder (Cloud Storage) a "preamble" is set w/in the packet during transmission. This networking "preamble" contains your local security key/permissions, etc. Therefore, unless the Cloud Storage OneDrive folder has the exact same preamble with your local security/permissions (contained on your local PC), attempts to navigate your Cloud OneDrive via another PC will fail (by default). This can be circumvented/changed but most likely you cannot make the change if it's an organization PC/laptop, etc. since it requires a higher authority.
Old September 18th, 2024, 01:40 PM
Running On Empty

I log onto the other (or any company) computer using my credentials and I get full access to everything. The problem is not access to OneDrive; it is the opposite. The computer is refusing to open documents that ARE NOT in OneDrive. Which is every document my and other departments have. We work on network drives, not OneDrive.
I provided a basic scenario & can't obviously speak to your organization's networking. Yet, the security of any network drive is established by the Administrator(s) of the network. All network drives and any folders/files require authentication. BTW, OneDrive is, in fact, a network drive; the delta is simply where an organization chooses to locate a OneDrive. End of day, OneDrive requires network "mapping" wherever it resides; but, any files stored on any network require network mapping w/ credentials. Enjoy browsing the World Wide Web.
Old September 18th, 2024, 01:52 PM

Yeah, I can open MS Office files on the network drives from just about any computer. Just not that one with Win11. There’s some security setting that is different in Win11.
Old September 18th, 2024, 02:20 PM
Running On Empty

We'd be here a month of Sundays attempting to ascertain your organization's networking security & file sharing attributes & it wouldn't much matter. Soooooooooo....many configurations by default & those which a network administrator can configure. I recall first time I assisted in migrating a large company (120,000+ employees in five countries) from MS NT4>MS 2000 network & said to the network administrator you'll need to establish one or more forest trusts to achieve that level of employee file sharing. When I said forest trust his eyes lit up like a deer in the headlights. I knew it was going to be a long engagement.
Old September 18th, 2024, 02:23 PM
Running On Empty

I stopped at the local General Store downtown for a double mint chocolate chip on regular cone - delicious.

I've found cruising the landscape on the JD ZTR is way less boring than working indoors putting cabinet utensils, etc. back into drawers. Man, the lawn is unbelievably tall with all that rain.
Old September 18th, 2024, 02:24 PM

John - I think the shelves look great in the pics! Can't wait to see them assembled. Like Norm said, ya done good! 👍
Old September 18th, 2024, 02:37 PM

We'd be here a month of Sundays attempting to ascertain your organization's networking security & file sharing attributes & it wouldn't much matter.
Agreed. There’s an issue with that one laptop’s configuration, and not a global issue.

Since I had the time, I searched my old emails and found on May 7 IT said they were sending me a new laptop. I guess when someone from IT shows up to work on my broken one I should ask where the new one is.

Last edited by Fun71; September 18th, 2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old September 18th, 2024, 02:38 PM

Well, I followed up today on my threat to beat the bushes for new Auto Insurance since my policy with Hartford had went up over 50% over the past year to $651/6-months, for full coverage on the Santa Fe and liability only on the old F150. Best deal turned out to be with Progressive where the Auto's are now bundled with my Motorcycles, and I'm getting better insurance. I will now have full coverage on both the SUV and Truck, for only $411 for 6-months. I could have gotten the same Progressive Auto for $335 for 6-months if I'd been willing to bundle my Home too, but I wasn't enamored with Progressive's Home coverage package, especially what appeared to be a lack of any way to add Earthquake coverage. When the Home comes due in November I'll call Progressive and ask about Earthquake coverage then. Even though it's a PIA, it pays, literally, to shop around!
Old September 18th, 2024, 03:01 PM

Agreed. There’s an issue with that one laptop’s configuration, and not a global issue.

Since I had the time, I searched my old emails and found on May 7 IT said they were sending me a new laptop. I guess when someone from IT shows up to work on my broken one I should ask where the new one is.
Being the one onsite guy for the TVECS computers, I have, I guess, authority over 60 some deployed PCs and some 20 tablets. I also have some spares. I got a nice new HP z book g10 Fury this past spring, I think it's a $5k laptop, for my personal machine. I had limped my old Lenovo P50 along for 6 years. IS refresh team kept emailing me about the old one after I switched them. That was the driver, mine was so old that it had survived the "hey, it's getting old," the "ok these are now obsolete, put in refresh ticket," the "P50s are not allowed on the network, turn them all in" but what finally got it was "John, you have asset P00XXXXXX and it must be refreshed, what new laptop do you want?" that did it. They headhunted that specific machine enough that they had to make sure it was dead three different times after the fact.
Old September 18th, 2024, 03:11 PM

John - The ONLY way to remove the bumps is w/ a sandy between EVERY application. They look great. As stated you're not a cabinet maker. Nice work.
Yes Norm I agree nice work, easy on the eyes..

John the "Traction Bumps" (By Design) on the very frick'n cool look'n shelf board of the shelves. will assure no slippage of said stereo component's when that base get's to thump'n through the speakers.

Much to be proud of , very nice looking project. Like church and exersise one could throw in road construction it is sure a good feeling when it's done. Keep keep'n on
Old September 18th, 2024, 03:13 PM
Running On Empty

That sounds like an excellent plan. Argh...so, so, so many configurations. Your issue "could" be the laptop itself. Pretty Damn Nice Titty SPA defines all packets on any network and contain lots more information, but the absolute basics must have (Norm's acronym) security context at seven different layers: P=Physical Layer; D=Data Link Layer; N=Network (Data) Layer; T=Transmission (Data Protocol) Layer; S=Session Layer; P=Presentation Layer & A=Application Layer. All network traffic between any two devices, a PC/laptop/tablet/server/bridge/brouter &/or router, etc. must contain those seven basic layers. The packet is created from the top down APSTNDP, security BTW is contained at each layer, when the packet is sent to the receiving device, the packet is opened from bottom up PDNTSPA. Say it's Office...the version of Office must match at the Application Layer (and every layer top down) when it was created & stored on the network with both user credentials from the local authority, h/w credentials(PC/laptop/notebook computer name authorized on the network), networking authority (those credentials must be authorized), and the SID for each. SID (Security Identification) is created for every user account, server/client account. The SID must match the packet(s) being received - if not - no look-see. Amazing thing is these configurations take place in a femtosecond.
Old September 18th, 2024, 03:15 PM

Appliance man (Mr. Willis) provided a clean bill of health for refrigerator. No issues. Simple condensation from evaporator/condenser (blue/green) - good-to-go, no worries. Reduced service call rate, $45. He was in/out in 15'. I sleep better at night.
Peace of mind... priceless. Good report Norm
Old September 18th, 2024, 03:19 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
peace of mind... Priceless.

Old September 18th, 2024, 03:52 PM

That sounds like an excellent plan. Argh...so, so, so many configurations. Your issue "could" be the laptop itself. Pretty Damn Nice Titty SPA defines all packets on any network and contain lots more information, but the absolute basics must have (Norm's acronym) security context at seven different layers: P=Physical Layer; D=Data Link Layer; N=Network (Data) Layer; T=Transmission (Data Protocol) Layer; S=Session Layer; P=Presentation Layer & A=Application Layer. All network traffic between any two devices, a PC/laptop/tablet/server/bridge/brouter &/or router, etc. must contain those seven basic layers. The packet is created from the top down APSTNDP, security BTW is contained at each layer, when the packet is sent to the receiving device, the packet is opened from bottom up PDNTSPA. Say it's Office...the version of Office must match at the Application Layer (and every layer top down) when it was created & stored on the network with both user credentials from the local authority, h/w credentials(PC/laptop/notebook computer name authorized on the network), networking authority (those credentials must be authorized), and the SID for each. SID (Security Identification) is created for every user account, server/client account. The SID must match the packet(s) being received - if not - no look-see. Amazing thing is these configurations take place in a femtosecond.
Is that up with with People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms for PCMCIA?
Old September 18th, 2024, 04:06 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Koda
Is that up with with People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms for PCMCIA?
Why I created my own.
Old September 18th, 2024, 04:33 PM

Your issue "could" be the laptop itself.
Definitely “is” and not “could” as I can open any Office file from any other computer that I log into.
Assuming you’re referencing the one laptop that only lets me open Office files that are in my OneDrive. I guess the same for other laptop that doesn’t get past the Dell logo when powered on. It is definitely broken.
Old September 18th, 2024, 05:41 PM
Running On Empty

Years ago I had a public sector customer engagement installing basic network monitoring/management s/w. During these engagements there are many meetings & customers must provide me w/ their network, client & server security configurations & their established network security policies. I likely haven't seen it all, but close to it. Some things are very rudimentary/basic e.g. no external laptops, notebooks, limited internal access based upon role, USB drives disconnected, etc. - I could talk til I'm blue in the face - Smart Cards, VPNs, Proximity Access, Biometric readers, file sharing. Most engagements I'm there to install & configure the s/w, provide training & configure the clients/servers/network(s) for monitoring/management - much of this is based on the customer's established security policies w/ some customers having this under tight control while others look for additional suggestions/recommendations to increase security. Bear in mind most public sector organizations employ/contract developers (those who write code) from 3rd-party organizations i.e. Lockheed Martin, Booz Allen, KPMG, serco, General Dynamics, the list is almost endless.

Short-story: Network Admin asks if I can configure network monitoring of select clients (a client is essentially a "device" which communicates w/ another "device [client]). I should point out all operating systems, UNIX, Tiger, Apple, MS, etc. have two components loaded in all operating systems - the client s/w and the server s/w. A "server" (so-to-speak) has an additional plethora of advanced capabilities but even your basic "client" (computer, laptop, notebook, tablet, etc.) has both a client & a server "service" installed. So, I tell the Admin yes we (you) can configure the s/w to monitor select clients anywhere on your network. This is met w/ a resounding - GREAT! I show the customer how to configure this type monitoring.

A week goes by when in this room full of 3rd-party developers (maybe 50?) on some floor in this bldg people are scurrying about (I was told this second-hand) watching some guy yank his Ethernet cable, take his belongings & make a mad dash for the doors/elevator. I was told this guy was logging ~2hrs - 3hrs/day watching **** on his own 3rd-party company owned/provided laptop on the customer's network. You can imagine the conversations which ensued after this simple breach. There are hundreds of ways to prevent this type of behavior. There are very valid reasons some companies/organizations do or do not allow external network access. It's a simple matter of defining security policy & helping customers make informed decisions based upon their needs. Imagine a developer writing code for a highly secured network spending 12hrs - 15hrs/week watching **** on your network.
Old September 18th, 2024, 05:48 PM

We had a **** network drive get busted at the WV engine and transmission plant when I was there in 2007. A bunch of maintenance group and team leaders got walked out.
Old September 19th, 2024, 04:49 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Whoa I signed 22 wheels in an hour and a half. For whatever reason one of the wall guys had 13 wheels and no mechanic, so he gave them to me. My wall guy was giving me wheels the whole time. Was nice. Wish it would keep up.

Another 5:00 start this morning. And again we got zero wheels signed in the one hour of overtime. I can't pretend to know what goes on in that guy's head. It comes out to an hour's pay without the taxes and all on my check working one overtime hour. Hey I'll take it.

****. Years ago before IT got wise and put some kind of filter on the internet, people would sit and look at **** when there was no work. As long as people weren't looking at **** instead of doing work, the company pretended not to notice. Once some secretaries moved in upstairs and a couple of guys would go up there and look at **** instead of doing their work. They got caught, were reminded of the " "no ****" " policy and told not to do it again. One guy heeded that advice. The other guy kept doing it and was found out again, and promptly fired. Imagine going home to your wife and telling her you got fired from your well-paying job for looking at ****.

Chris how's the arms and head? I'm up there with you looking for new insurance. State Farm has done run their course. Trouble is all the companies I've looked at are the same price or higher. I may have shot myself in the foot when that broad hit the back of the convertible and I immediately called my agent. Aren't they supposed to help in insurance matters? I should have kept quiet, though my information went out to her insurance company. What a racket. I really just want to sell that car. I'm afraid I'm still upside down on it.

Time for a snack. I've earned it. Plus the sun should be up by now I'll walk down and see it. Hope everyone has a great day.

Old September 19th, 2024, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Good morning everyone.
Chris how's the arms and head? I'm up there with you looking for new insurance.
Mike - I'm doing much better, thanks for asking. Completely over the reactions to the vaccines, of course the bad shoulder (left one) is still sore. Hopefully I'll find out what's going on with it next Wednesday? You're right, insurance is a racket, I'd call it a license to steal. Every State has different rates, but I'd check out Progressive, ya never know. I did the whole process online. It may very well be a bait and switch on Progressive's part, get me to switch and then after 6-months they jack their rate up to where everyone else's is? I'll see, if they do, I'll look at switching again! Greedy bastards!
Hope you have a nice day!
Old September 19th, 2024, 06:26 AM

Question for the learned. I just installed a pump for my tote on my trailer. The pump can be exposed to the weather but.mu battery box has vents won't everything in the box rust? Can I tape over them?

Old September 19th, 2024, 06:45 AM

It's a hydrogen vent I think. I'd glue a flap of inner tube over it with glue on one side so it will burp and be sure to flap it once it a while so it doesn't stick.
Old September 19th, 2024, 06:46 AM

Mike, I've been to Turkey Run at Daytona. It is HUGE. Bring your walking shoes. I don't think it's possible to see it all, but get there early and try.
Old September 19th, 2024, 07:03 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Best guess the vents are manufactured to allow off-gassing of hydrogen gas, hydrogen sulfide gas & oxygen gas so none build up inside the battery box/container. Additionally, vent(s) most likely allow heat to dissipate. Of course, I suspect this depends on type of battery a consumer elects to use. Lots of stories on venting lead-acid batteries. Nearly all batteries contain a venting system to release these gases.

Your question: Won't everything in the box rust? Is there something else in the box besides the battery? If there's moisture you know any metal will be susceptible to rust. Can you cover them? Don't know.
Old September 19th, 2024, 07:06 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I've seen exposed ag. batteries, trailer batteries & the like last many years w/o any covers on batteries. Do you really need a cover?
Old September 19th, 2024, 08:41 AM

Good morning guys,

Just got back from getting both State Safety and Emmisions inspections on my 2000 F150 Supercab 4x4. Passed both with flying colors. I will now be able to renew my plates for 2-years. After this next renewal period the truck will be >25-yrs old and will be eligible for Historic Plates if I want to go that route, which I'm seriously considering. Heck, I wouldn't be embarrassed to take it to Car Shows as a "True Survivor" truck. It's 99.9% original except for an occasional new battery and exhaust from the muffler back. Sure wish I could buy another one just like it today for what I paid in 2000, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Pics taken today.

Old September 19th, 2024, 09:12 AM
Running On Empty

I renewed & passed the annual state inspection for my 2003 F250 diesel tractor last week. I noticed (yesterday) driving for an ice-cream break the propeller shaft slip joint appears to be getting a little worse off. Refrigerator placed back into its home against the wall. Need to install one more (upgraded) cabinet drawer (the one which never gets used and is supposed to contain a trash container). Still slowly searching for a top-mount center monorail which is actually for this trash container cabinet drawer I can most likely do without.
Old September 19th, 2024, 09:24 AM
Running On Empty

I couldn't recall when I greased the slip yoke & replaced the rear U-Joint. I could have looked at my service log book, but I did recall I took a video preparing for removal of the propeller shaft. I heard myself reference hurricane Sandy so it was October 29, 2012. I'll look at my service log to see what mileage I recorded on that date to see how long that grease job lasted. I never posted the video since basically it says nothing other than I must simply had some free-time to take the video. I'll probably make another more detailed video this time demonstrating greasing & visualization of the slip yoke & splines.

Old September 19th, 2024, 10:35 AM
Running On Empty

I think it was done ~100K. I'm at 193K. Short-trips have increased significantly for me since retiring yet still looks to be ~80K - 90K relative to greasing interval. I see others on forums grease every 60K. Of course, this is highly dependent on type of driving, towing, daily contracting work truck, etc. No mention I can find of a recommendation via my Ford manual. It needs to be done & that's all I can say about it.
Old September 19th, 2024, 10:56 AM

I apparently have 60k miles on my truck's Michelins. They look great and are seven years old. I shall move towards getting the other rims refurbed and a new set of tires on them.
Old September 19th, 2024, 12:38 PM

Jim, you’re worried about water causing rust inside a box with a battery that’s outgassing corrosive vapors?
Old September 19th, 2024, 02:16 PM

So I guess the gestion becomes why does anyone need a battery box
Old September 19th, 2024, 03:09 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
...why does anyone need a battery box
More appropriately perhaps isn't why does anyone need a battery box but why does Jim need a battery box for this application.

You don't find a battery box in a motor vehicle (generally). You don't find a battery box(es) on water vessels (generally) - even water/jet skis. You don't find battery boxes on golf carts, etc.

Your question was w/ regard to a "vent" on a battery box. I don't think you were asking if you needed a battery box.