The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:30 PM

That's it I'm moving to Ohio! my plates (tabs) are $89.00 a year for my '07 Saturn Aura, we have the sixth highest gas tax in the country, and our Governor wants to add more to it, taxing the gas before it gets to the stations (?)...but hell, we'll still pay more. I have several Canadian "loonies" ($1 dollar coins) that I can't get rid of, no local bnaks will exchange them, and I was given a toll free number by the bank to call on the other side of the state (closer to Canada) and was told "we can't do anything for ya! Mebbe I should have taken them to the auto show with me and stopped at the border to swap 'em for U.S. currency.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:57 PM
Always room for one more

Evening everyone and Happy Friday to me!

A little warmer tonight, almost 40, but hey, it's still below 60 so who cares! I was working inside all last night so it wasn't so bad. It's funny though when the hangar doors get open all the people wearing shorts start crying.

I don't know what our plates are going up to this year, but by the time I have to get mine, in June, the new rates will be in full swing. I only have one vanity plate, on the Saturn, and I'll keep it, but I won't be getting any more. If I'm lucky I'll be able to pare down the fleet by a couple and that will save me as well. Here's a thought. Maybe if they lowered the price by a few bucks people would go ahead with vanity plates or extra registrations, and the State would still get the money they need and be a little less hated, to boot.

It took us four days to complete page 207? We're slipping here, folks.

Speaking of foreign money, it always seems that I need to hit the ATM right before I leave Australia every year, and then don't spend all that I got, and end up bringing home a bunch of money. I try to just give it to my friends but they are weird, they don't like free money, so I bring it home and then have it for when I go there the next year.

Bryan watch those cigarettes. A friend of mine years ago was going to quit smoking, so he bought a Soloflex machine. Paid over 1500 for it, got all the attachments. His plan was every time he wanted a cigarette he was going to go work out. Well, I don't think he ever used it and still smoked like a furnace, and then sold the Soloflex to me for 500. Working on the car is the best therapy. Get your kids to help.

Okay gotta get ready for work. Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan - 89/year is almost the same as here. BTW if you really want to unload those loonies, I'll send you my address. I know where to spend them....

Mike - I noticed that too. Seems like the winter doldrums have set in. Did you hear on the news that Monday (past) was statistically the most depressing day of the year? Dang, I thought it was any day that Oprah or Dr. Phil was on TV that was the most depressing.... Have a great night at work.

Bryan - 4 hours of sleep isn't good. I know it's better than no sleep at all but if you're going to be looking after those kids, you need to be healthy. Smoking is a hard habit to quite, but I bet you can do it. Plus it'll save you quite a few bucks and make you safer when you're working on the Buick's fuel tank.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:59 PM

"BTW if you really want to unload those loonies, I'll send you my address. I know where to spend them...." Actually I had given that some thought, but the weight would probably be hell on the postage.

Last edited by 1969w3155; January 23rd, 2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:32 PM

Good Evening Everyone.

I think I have finally thawed out. Looks like everyone has been getting cold weather lately.

This morning, when I left, it was... -40 with the windchill So of course, for some reason, they decided to cancel that particular bus and I had to wait for a total of 25 minutes until the next one showed up. Everything was frozen outside. Even the salty slush on the sides of the road were solid.

Oh, and tomorrow morning is supposed to be colder.

Dan, they won't take in the loonies at the bank? Nobody seems to have any issues taking American dollar bills up here.

So it costs more for personlized plate renewal in Ohio and GA? Up here it costs more to get them, but then renewal is the same as a regular plate.

Mike, I have a question. From seeing all the planes on my trip to Vegas (including from the viewing area parking lot along a pair of runways at McCarran) I started wondering about something. Most commercial planes now have their tails lit up at night to advertise the carrier. But where are the lights located that light up the tail?

Have a good rest of the week everyone.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:05 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

We never got close to 70 yesterday. more like an overcast 55. I took Brittney to work as we were supposed to film in the afternoon for a new Discovery channel show. They never showed so I have to drive her to work again today. Funny thing, the missus said I was acting different last night and I smelled of Pheromones, I guess it must be from the driving the car.Just seems to make me feel a little better about everything. I regained contact with an old high-school friend recently. She was one of the gearheads that hung around the autoshop and the dragstrip. She got involved with a douchenozzle after graduation and we kinda parted ways. Anyhow come to find out she is in the process of assembling a 72 442 tribute. What a coincidence.

Paul stay warm, spring is just around the corner.

Have a great day all.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:17 AM

Mawn'in all

Warm dis mawn'in but spose to get an ice storm in de mountains. Zo, I headed up a day early. Maybe I'll get iced in and have sum piece and quiet.

Fer de few of you who don't get the Milton paper slung onto your drive way, Ere's a article 'bout moi.

http://www.northfulton.com/Articles-...m_medium=email

Have a Great Day Olds friends. An be sure an tell everone 'bout my cemetery.
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:54 AM

Good morning All,

I've been MIA working overseas for the past 2 months.

It's minus -17 Fahrenheit today in Montreal. Others might say they new-fangled cars wouldn't start.

All I gotta say is get an olds, some lovin from my block heater and she started right up
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

We're having a heat wave.... a tropical heat wave....

It's 14 degrees this morning. Heading up to 19 today! We had some snow overnight, and some flurries are around this morning. It's icy... lots of accidents over Akron way on Rt. 8 and 77. Of course that's where Nicole is heading this morning for her job shadow - Uniontown. Hope she makes it ok.

Jamesbo..... Look at your handsome self, lol! Very nice article and pictures. So tell me something...... not that I want to get gross and disgusting, but does it smell after awhile? From what I've read, decomposition isn't a nice thing, lol, and when one isn't embalmed....... I'm just curious.

Clint.... Is your car going to be in some kind of show on the Discovery channel??

Paul... glad you're surviving the cold. I'm about sick of it, lol! I just keep telling myself it's one day closer to spring.....

Crap.... Brian has a lunch bag in the fridge, which means he's gonna be here at lunch time. I'm gonna have to take a long walk. I need my hour away....

I read a book and a half yesterday. I wish it would get busier for me. I hate this just sitting all day. Then nothing to do at home but sit in the evenings. It's makin me crazy........

Well you all have a good day and watch out for ice!!
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:12 AM

No Sandy, It doesn't smell. Think 'bout if for a sec. This is EXACTLY what people did until the Civil war when the chemical companies started embalming and shipping Union officers back north. Then they started the embalming schools to teach people how to use their new product [and how to sell it]

BTW Many Jews and all Muslims don't embalm.

Many once privately owned Cemeteries and funeral homes have been bought up by large corporation, That IMHO take advantage of people during a time of stress. It's racket You don't need half the stuff de sell /push off on you.

IMHO The only thing sillier than burring a $1,000 piece of concrete [a vault] is you get a warranty on it. So, Ya wake up one Monday a.m and say, "Hey, Let's go dig up grand pa and check on his vault warranty."

All a vault does is help lower the cost of operating a cemetery,So you are paying the cemetery to lower it's expenses.
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:27 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin All

It's a warm 51 right now with a chance of rain, hopefully we won't see any frozen cow wizz down ere

Excellent article Jamesbo I forwarded it to my wife so she can help spread the good word at the Air Force Base.

Glad you made it back Tony, did you get us some pics while you were over there?

Pretty neat about meeting up with an old high school bud Clint, specially about the part about her building a '72 Olds

Whelp gotta run check ya on the flipside
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:42 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well I suppose you're right, Jamesbo. I never thought about all the wars and such where bodies were just buried in mass graves, or left where they fell.

Speaking of bodies..... Larry bought a 22 pistol yesterday - I'll be popping me some deer in the a$$ this spring, lol! He asked if I'd be interested in taking a conceal carry course. Told him I'd think about it.......
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Glad you made it back Tony, did you get us some pics while you were over there?

Whelp gotta run check ya on the flipside
You bet!

I was in austria working with one of our engine suppliers (Rotax for those of you that know powersports).

This is the more important stuff....

Old January 24th, 2013, 08:02 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by slantflat
Bryan watch those cigarettes. A friend of mine years ago was going to quit smoking, so he bought a Soloflex machine. Paid over 1500 for it, got all the attachments. His plan was every time he wanted a cigarette he was going to go work out. Well, I don't think he ever used it and still smoked like a furnace, and then sold the Soloflex to me for 500. Working on the car is the best therapy. Get your kids to help.
I was down to about 5 to 6 cigs a day not to long ago , and then all of a sudden I'm about half a pack a day now .... could be worse .

Originally Posted by Allan R
Bryan - 4 hours of sleep isn't good. I know it's better than no sleep at all but if you're going to be looking after those kids, you need to be healthy. Smoking is a hard habit to quite, but I bet you can do it. Plus it'll save you quite a few bucks and make you safer when you're working on the Buick's fuel tank.

I bet I CAN'T do it , but I can cut it back down to where I need it to be . I really should do the gas tank repair , but I have been putting gas in like every 3 days , so I wont run out .... besides I like having that chick at work give me a ride to the gas station , so I can talk to her more . I need to replace the tranny mount first anyways , because I'm tired of feathering the gas pedal so the tranny doesn't jump around .... as far as sleep goes , I make up for it on the weekend . I know I can't go on like this for long . I keep dosing off at work after lunch .

The city has the freeway bridge torn out by my apartment . Now we have to go way out of the way in order to get anywhere . I know it has to be done , but why me ? It seems everywhere I live the city decides to tear up the road so I can't go anywhere .

Welcome back Tony
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Captain Starfire

Hope everybody is staying warm & comfy.... man, dem single digits are too cool for dis southern blood.... dat's da reason wiffey left Peoria!
It was about 45 at the Plantation dis mawnin', but spose to get to around 70 today.

Hang in there, Bry .... I know you need some sort of safety valve, but dat's too many cigs'll .... maybe try some sort of smokeless or electronic cig? Especially with the cost (i.e., TAX) of cigs these days.... Mike, a lot of folks do waste a ton of moola on exercise equipment they never use. My suggestion would be to do something free or inexpensive, like running or even brisk walking. That's how I quit years ago after smoking for about 10 years. After a few weeks, the physical component disappears and you have to deal with the psychological habit; but your lungs have started to really feel better by that time and you can start to see your goal more claearly. Honestly, cold turkey is the best way, by far.... any other reductions really only serve to torture yourself, IMHO.

Jamesbo, that's great to get press like that.... I hope it gets you more business; seems like a great idea whose time has come; you just might be at the right time in the right place.

Be careful in that ice. I'll be countin' the days until April. Mean time, we gotta' get thru the Super Bowl and Mardi Gras in the near term down here. City's looking pretty good... they finally completed the new streetcar line on Loyola Ave that connects to Canal and St. Charles. Looks weird to see the little cars rolling down Loyola.

Y'all be good.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 24th, 2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old January 24th, 2013, 09:48 AM

Heat wave

Gonna be a high of 37 here today. I won't complain any more about the cold after reading most of your posts. -40 really??????? I got my long johns out this week for the first time and they were so old they started fallin apart when I put them on. Jamesbo looks like you got a good idea goin on down there. I told the wife to have them toast me when my time comes and sprinkle what's left out over the Ocean someplace. Bryan I've been where you are and it ain't easy. All that quit smokin stuff on the market ain't worth a flip unless u get your head straight. I,m thinking of re marketing Mac's shock collar. Just put it on and give your spouse the control. Every time you go to light up......zap.
Met up w/a couple o fishin buds yesterday for coffee. Doin a little strategizing. I heard the fish are scared...
Old January 24th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Always room for one more

Hey everyone.

What a great night at work. Seven of us on a plane that only had a couple items, we were done and on the way home at 0230. Haven't had a night like that in ages.

Paul those are called Logo Lights and they are mounted in the top surface of the horizontal stabilizer. The lenses are made so that they direct the light up to the tail. Years ago we had 727s and some of them had the logo lights in pods on the wingtips. TWA owned the rights to 727 logo lights so ours were deactivated so we didn't have to pay TWA royalties.

Nice article Jamesbo. Question, and this may be obvious to others, how does the vault help lower costs to the cemetary?

Sampson I heard from a friend of mine who lives near Fayetteville, and he said they've already salted the roads for the expected storm tomorrow. Is this commonplace in NC? By the time the storm arrives the salt will be worn away.

Welcome back Tony. Two months away from home would be a killer for me. Unless I could take my dogs.

John I never started smoking in the first place. I still use the Soloflex, it isn't the greatest but it's better than nothing. Trouble is, I'll use it for a few weeks, then not go back for months. It does make a great catch-all.

Wow Bryan you're getting a new bridge? You should count yourself as one of the lucky ones. I keep hearing how all the bridges in America are ready to cave in and no one is doing anything about it. Perhaps you should call NPR and have them do a piece on you.

Well I guess I'll go do something. It's nice out, almost 60. Hopefully my buddy Scott will call and we'll meet for pizza tonight in Marietta.
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:01 AM

Mike, It keeps the ground from sinking
Old January 24th, 2013, 06:59 PM

Good Evening Everyone.

Another nice, sunny... COLD day. But now it is starting to warm up the next few days.

Thanks for the answer Mike.

Sampson, yes that was not a typo. Luckily we only get that cold overnight once or twice a year. This was sort of abnormal.

Sandy, spring can't come soon enough for me.

Welcome back Tony. Good to see you had time for the important things. How does the heater work in the Cutlass?
Old January 24th, 2013, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by car_designer
Good Evening Everyone.

Welcome back Tony. Good to see you had time for the important things. How does the heater work in the Cutlass?
Paul, that heater blows like a blast furnace! It's incredible.
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Hm, seems like an Awful house morning. That will start a morning of errands.

Even though I'm sure heater cores are a shared component, it seems that an Oldsmobile has a way better heater than other cars. When I was a kid I'd ride around in my 70 Cutlass in the winter, Minus whatever, and even with a broken fan that only went on low it would get so hot in the car I'd have to turn it down. My Dad had an 81 Supreme that was the same way. I've ridden in plenty other cars where the heater basically sucks. Hm. That and warping rotors. In my experience Oldsmobiles like to warp their front rotors more than others.

And speaking of heaters it's colder than a well digger's heel this morning. A little overcast but so far none of this wintery mix I keep hearing about. Maybe rain later they're only talking about North Georgia.

So John here's some Seinfeld trivia for you. Last night was the episode where Jerry and George went to meet Elaine's father, played by Lawrence Tierney. I read once that when he showed up for the reading and taping, that he scared everyone so much they never asked him back. The whole place was freaked out by him.

Friday everyone. Hope you all have a great weekend planned.
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:19 AM
CQR

Good Morning all.

Tony, New heater cores sure work well, don't they? Even with my 170F Thermostat, It still warms up the car nicely.

Paul welcome back to you? Missing Vegas about now aren't you? Even with how cold it was there, It has to be warmer than home.

Jamesbo, Thats a nice write up. Please tell me that all that greenery was shat last summer. Its gotta be a little more drab than that now, doesn't it?

Bryan, There isn't a day that goes by that I wouldn't like to take a deep long drag, but it's been over 5 years, and I won't ever go back to being a slave to those awful things. I hope you can get to the point where you can kick the habit. I made the decision when my little girl was upset that all the kids in school were making fun of her because she smelled bad, like an old ashtray.

Sandy, I'm gonna get my mother a little pistol for her birthday this year. When her and dad split the sheets, he took them all with him, and she'd like to have something to make noise or at least look intimidating if she runs into trouble.

Mike good to hear the plane was almost Green. Are you off the next coupla days?

Well the filming took most of the afternoon. They ended up using Brittney, the 55 Buick and me in the shot. Not sure when the episode will be out but I don't expect it to before the end of summer. I could be wrong. Found out that Melanie Troxel doesn't have a ride this year. Also looks like Andrew Short is losing his ride as well. Good thing the economy is doing so well. Not.

Have a great Friday Olds Friends.
Old January 25th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Captain Starfire

Great episode!

Morning, Oldsmofriends; very mild down yonder today; was 53 when I left the house, and it's 60-something down here on the South Shore.

Looks like it's gonna' be a fairly nice weekend; need to take something out for at least a short cruise. Maybe even tonite.

Jim, you B in the moutains now?

Mike, yeah, they said something to that effect in the "behind the scenes" short on the DVD. Man, that guy was funny.... never cracked a smile. But you gotta' admit, at the end when he was in his car and started to sing, "Master of the House," that was pretty funny! (After lambasting George for doing same.)

Clint, I hate to display my ignorance again, but exactly what are you doing with that filming? Are you some sort of videographer? I know I you work on cars a lot, but I don't ask a lot of questions about people's main occupations, 'cause I figger I prolly missed the parts when they explained their-selves in gory detail.

My '73 Delta put out good heat, but that stinkin' squirrel cage made racket for years and years. I was pretty much living on the edge financially, so I never fixed it... and the A/C busted after I only had it for a year or two (and I didn't have that fixed, either); so it was only a problem during the frigid winters .

All the buttons on the heater and defroster control panel are hosed up on the Starfire. They're all stuck, and I really don't know what the heck's going on with them. Pulling out that panel and loosening up the buttons with some silicone or something is on my to-do list. While monkeying w/ the radio in the car one nite, I left the ign. in "acc" one nite inadvertently and the batt. was dead next morning 'cause the dern fan ran all nite.

To give the devil his due, the Camry heater is straight from heaven; I'm getting "luke" air practically by the time I leave my driveway. It has the digital automatic climate control, which I have mixed feelings about; but it will definitely cook you... and there are 6 fan settings, which is good.

Good morning everyone.
So John here's some Seinfeld trivia for you. Last night was the episode where Jerry and George went to meet Elaine's father, played by Lawrence Tierney. I read once that when he showed up for the reading and taping, that he scared everyone so much they never asked him back. The whole place was freaked out by him.
Y'all have a safe and restful weekend, Oldsmofriends... and peace be especially to you, Bry....

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 25th, 2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

A cold 14 degrees here this morning, light snow is already falling.... that fine little slick crap. It wasn't supposed to start until this afternoon. We're supposed to get 3 -4 inches, they're saying. I've about had my fill of winter! Don't listen, Jamesbo, lol!

Steve is off today, which is nice! Staying plenty warm without his heater blasting... it's amazing. It keeps me busier when one of them is off. Brian brought his lunch again today, . But.... he has a doctor appt. this afternoon so he'll be leaving 2 - 2:30 ish and won't be back, of course. Not on a Friday afternoon.... so it will just be me and Clay.

They go to NY for the sales meeting on Feb. 8th. I'm looking forward to being here by myself!!!! I need it bad!

Mike..... I agree with you on the Oldsmobile heater! Man does Teepo put out the heat! All my Oldsmobiles did. You can't have it on for long, that's for sure. Too bad these newer vehicles don't have heaters like the old cars.

Clint..... what exactly did you film? You mention an episode..... A tv show, a commercial, or what? Are we going to be able to see you and the car on tv??

Bryan.... I quit smoking when cigs got close to $5.00 a pack about 8 years ago. I then took $20 a week and put it in an envelope, and I had like $1000 saved when vacation time rolled around. I am not paying the prices they want for cigarettes nowadays. They tax the smokers, and then you can't smoke anywhere anyhow, so why bother! I used that Commit lozenge to quit. I haven't lost the craving though. I could go buy a pack right now. Brian here at work, smokes, and he comes in smelling disgusting... the trash stinks from him putting the butts in it - sometimes I just want to throw up when I open the trashcan and that smell comes out. Yuck...... He smells awful - his breath makes me want to gag if he talks to me when he comes back in from smoking. It's amazing how when you smoke, you don't really notice how you smell, how your closets smell from your smokey clothes, how dirty and nicotine stained everything gets in the house.... I know that you really really have to want to quit when you decide to do it, or it's not gonna work. I smoked from the time I was 14, so I was pretty heavily addicted. It's not easy.

Nicole made it to Uniontown yesterday without any problems. She liked that place, she said. It was small and she got to watch another 'assistant' and see what all she did. They were declawing a cat, who decided to get his claws into one more person, and it was Nicole. She has some nasty punctures on her hands. Guess the girls holding the cat let it get away and Nicole went after it. She said she had to leave the room during the declawing when they were cauterizing the cuts because of the smell.... ewwwwww.... she said they understood, lol.

Well I better do something, so you all have a good Friday!
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:04 AM
GM Enthusiast

60 degrees John, I'm jealous. Going to be about 26 today up from the 12 right now. Just walked the kids to school in it.

Speaking about car registration charges, it used to cost me about $70 to renew my two year registration on my 63 Riviera, now it's 140. They doubled the rate! Then again, someone has to pay for our 63 Billion dollar state debt.

Sandy - I hear ya on the conceal carry gun permit, better get it now before our government takes that option away too. Pretty soon, you'll only be allowed to have a gun with a cork that shoots out!

Tony - right on with what's most important. I liked Austria, hopefully will get back there myself sometime in the next few years.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:29 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good mawnin and TGIF Olds friends

Well it looks like we escaped the frozen precipitation this time I think it is going to be as far south as Oconee & Sinclair. That is two great man made lakes for those that don't reside here in da peach state.

I've been trying to liquidate the street altered on racingjunk with hopes of a cash buyer, but so far I've only had a few serious offers to trade. I keep telling them that I am trying to thin the herd, not change the colors I do need a car for the middle daughter but it has to be dependable. I've been offered some crazy cars for it, like a gutted plymouth arrow race car, 50 ford coupe (rusted out floorboard and trunk, chebby engine) and even a log truck of sorts

Whatcha filming Clint? I mean which show? There are so many different ones that discovery channel produces anymore I can't keep up or care to keep up, but if your cars are going to be aired I'll definitely be on the look out for it.

Well yall have a safe weekend and try to stay warm and cozy
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:31 AM

Mawn'in

Welp, I was gonna head over de mountain to town but it's icing up ere in de mountains. So me and Red dog will jes sit by de fire.

Maybe I'll get stuck ere til spring
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM

Happy Friday everyone. 26 here this mornin and supposed to be some ice and snow move in later today. Mike NC DOT got a really bad rap 4 or 5 years ago when a ice storm moved in unexpectedly midday. Everybody got on the icey roads trying to get home and then DOT couldn't get on the road to spread the salt. The whole area turned into one big logjam. It took me 6 hours to go 15 miles home. Ever since then if it starts getting cloudy after Thanksgiving Dot starts spreading salt! It may cost millions in taxpayers money but they will not get caught with their pants down again. Amazing what we are willing to waiste in taxpayers money to prevent a once in a century event from happening again! It's kind of like deer hunting with a Bazooka. Oh well enough of my rant on gov't stupidity. Mac and I had a good walk today. Kids are coming home for the weekend and Grace has promise to fix something special for dinner. Man that girl can cook! That's why Mac and I have to walk or I'd be big as a barrel. Have a good weekend folks....
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:41 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Welp, I was gonna head over de mountain to town but it's icing up ere in de mountains. So me and Red dog will jes sit by de fire.

Maybe I'll get stuck ere til spring
Hope ya got enough far wood
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:18 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Sampson
I got my long johns out this week for the first time and they were so old they started fallin apart when I put them on.
Time to go to Walmart .

I'm thinking of re marketing Mac's shock collar. Just put it on and give your spouse the control. Every time you go to light up......zap.
I'd like to put that on her face !

Met up w/a couple o fishin buds yesterday for coffee. Doin a little strategizing. I heard the fish are scared...
I would like to go , but I never bought a fishing license last year . First time in about 25yrs . I always tip up fished , and would usually go in about 7 ft of water for the Pike during the day , and the Walleyes at night . We would make our own leaders , and use some small beads above the hook with a spinner blade so it would tinkle on the eye of the hook whenever the sucker or shinner would swim around . It worked great for Pike . We also came up with a great light system for at night . We would use a christmas bulb/socket with 2 " of wire on one side , and the other wire would run the length of the flag pole . ( only worked with Beaver Dam tip ups ) on the board portion of the tip up , we would have a half worn out 9 volt battery with a metal clip to hold it in place . I would screw a length of wire to the board where the flag pole would contact it when the flag would go up and trigger the light to go on . It worked wonderful for when you were a ways from your tip ups . If you don't use a half worn out battery , it will blow out the bulb . I'll post a pic of it sometime .

Wow Bryan you're getting a new bridge? You should count yourself as one of the lucky ones. I keep hearing how all the bridges in America are ready to cave in and no one is doing anything about it. Perhaps you should call NPR and have them do a piece on you.
Yeah they are also parking the heavy equipment where I park my car at night , so I have to walk even further now .

Originally Posted by CQR
I made the decision when my little girl was upset that all the kids in school were making fun of her because she smelled bad, like an old ashtray.
mmmmm I love that smell

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee
My '73 Delta put out good heat, but that stinkin' squirrel cage made racket for years and years.
My 72 CS makes a lot of racket (screeching) when the heats on . It's enough to drive you nuts .

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
I smoked from the time I was 14, so I was pretty heavily addicted. It's not easy.
I'm going on 30 yrs since I started . I already have cut it back down since yesterday . I probably only had about maybe 7 or so .

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Pretty soon, you'll only be allowed to have a gun with a cork that shoots out
That's why mine wouldn't be registered , I buy mine from friends .
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Nice news article, Jamesbo.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:05 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
X2 , WOW Jamesbo ! I REALLY have a lot of respect for what you are doing , that's great !
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Agreed. Only 400/acre is really a treat. Up here it's mandatory for the concrete liners and some of the plots are so concentrated that caskets get 'stacked' in the same site.

Jim?? Zat yew in de pic??? Yew sho toks difrent two de reporters dan ya duz here on de site. My supa model says you is a right hansome devel....even it ya duz liv so faraway.
Old January 25th, 2013, 02:43 PM
Always room for one more

Afternoon all.

Well the south side missed any sort of rain or precipitation, in fact the sun is out a little bit. Still not the warmest but a rather nice day it turned out to be. Jamesbo how you doing up in the mountains?

Spent two hours at the Awful house today. Didn't plan to, but saw more than a couple fellows I hadn't seen in a while, so I was just there jawing. It was a good time. But when I left I smelled like old coffee and burnt toast. Yuck.

Clint yes I'm off until Sunday. My days off rotate once again, and in a couple weeks I will change to Friday/Saturday/Sunday off. Actually I've been thinking about putting in for a lead job in the Wheel and Brake shop. I'm not sure I'd even get it, but I have to be sure that's what I want just in case. It would mean 7-3 Monday through Friday, I'd lose my Line badge which I'd really hate to do, and I'd be stuck in a shop all day which is good and bad. And it gets me out of the department I'm really starting to hate and it's a little more money. As usual I have to overthink everything but I have until Jan 29.

Been doing some cleaning out in the carport today. My plan is to enclose it and attach it to the house for more living space. I have no idea where and why I get so much crap and pile it up.
Old January 25th, 2013, 03:06 PM

Mike, I be stranded up ere

Been clean'in house like Sandy on steroids.

Only problem is..............Red wants to stay outside an frolic whilst I freeze my a$$ off an try not to bust it on de ice.
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Cutlass Lover

Lol! You make me laugh, Jamesbo!! I didn't have a chance to get on here all afternoon. Clay and I got really busy after Brian left, which I liked! The afternoon flew by for a change. I got Steve's big pile of filing done and his file cabinet cleaned out of last years stuff. I didn't leave until 5:20 tonight. I like busy.

We didn't do all our shopping tonight like usual, since I didn't get home until late. We went down to Paninis and had pizza, then went to Giant Eagle. Will go to WalMart tomorrow I reckon.

You be careful Jamesbo and don't fall on the ice! We had snow pretty much all day. Got about 2 inches and its still coming down. At least its the light fluffy stuff. There's ice under it though which I found out at lunch time when I walked.

Well have a good evening all.
Old January 25th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Mike - I just have to ask this because if anyone knows the answer it's you. According to the news a few days back it's claimed that the oldest fleet of planes is American. Don't know if that means all USA airlines or AA. Any truth to that?

Bryan/Clint - ummm, No. I could never get used to that smell. I dated a girl once (she was a smoker) and once was enough. Kissing her was like...yucky. Purty but them cancer sticks never did anything for her. Sorry to sound like a priss - I never smoked a day in my life and not about to start. My hangup is natchos.

Hmmm, all youse that are posting about how much snow y'all got - want some pics of the 5' windrows we got??? Heck, we're giving them away free to the first 20 million people who want em. Bring your own truck and we'll even fill it for free. Tarp your loads on the way home so you can keep some of that beauty to show off with.

Clint/John - I must have missed that too. What exactly is this film documentary??

I guess for most of you it's almost midnight so night night.
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:57 AM
CQR

Morning all.

John, I hear ya on the Auto climate control. When they work they are nice, but having to diagnose then when they are broke is a PITA.

Sandy there isn't much I hate worse than to file papers. I'd rather diagnose a automatic climate control problem.

Scot, One of the kids that used to work for me called yesterday with a problem. Seems an old guy brought in a 32 Dodge wagon? and wants power steering installed. He was thinking of retrofitting a control valve/power ram system from an old ford or vette, but I thought he should see if he could put a rack & pinion system into it. Ever run into something like that? We also talked about going with a late model electric system, but don't have much room to put the motor in the column.

Mike, My best bud who's an AP in Chicago let me know his boss was killed in a car/pedestrian accident in California. He is the owner of the jet my buddy is the wrench for. He's not sure the family is going to keep the plane. He may be out of work here shortly. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2043118.story

Allan, Let me clarify, I still love the smell of a burning Marlboro, but I hate the smell of em when they been crushed out.

Jamesbo, put that swiffer away and read a book.

Ok. The TV show is called 'The American Car Prospector.' Its supposed to be out late this summer. He said it will be in foreign markets before it hits here. The guy is pretty full of poo, but I guess most in that industry are.Here is his pilot, so the show will look something like this. It will be fun to see Brittney ad the shop on TV. My building may be a pain in my rear, but it sure does get a lot of attention.
http://chiptaylor.com/american_car_prospector.html

I better go figure out how to TIG aluminum. Have a great weekend all.
Old January 26th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Clint that's sure too bad about that man. The article says he was trying to help some people who were in an accident. Best of luck to your buddy, hope he can keep his job. Where does he work out of?

I watched that clip. Is that the whole premise of the show, he tries to buy all the cars he sniffs out?

Allan I believe the news was referring to American Airlines. Though a cursory look around shows that we have, on average, the oldest fleet at 15.8 years, and American is 15. We used to have one of the youngest but then the Northworst "merger" and those stupid DC9s came along. The 9s made us a lot of money back in the day, but they are maintenance intensive and far obsolete compared to the rest of the fleet.

Jamesbo looks like you might thaw out a little today. So it looks like you'll have to come home tomorrow, too bad.

Pizza! I'm going into pizza withdrawal. I'm having pizza tonight come hell or high water, even if I have to go by myself. Man, I need some new friends. My friends either live a million miles away or they have wives that won't let them out of their sight, or they just can't be counted on to keep plans.

Off to the Awful house. Then Walmart. It's going to be nice today so I'll do something outside. Check you all later.
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:31 AM

Dag nabbit, It's melt'in. I was kinda hope'in de would need an M7 to come a rescue me.