The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2012, 09:31 AM

Mike, The building IS the same an so are the waitresses.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Always room for one more

I know you could park a 50 Packard and Cadillac out front and it would be the same picture. And you're right, some of the staff looked to be about the same vintage.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:00 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening all!

We had a cold gray depressing day here today. Temps in the 20's. We got about 8 inches of snow yesterday and it blew and drifted. Roads were a mess, Tincanio fishtailed a few times when I started away from sitting at traffic lights on my way home from Macedonia. I got home 4ish. It snowed all evening. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny.

Larry said he saw several cars spin out on 91 when he was coming home. Nicole thought she was gonna go out in it to her friends house, wouldn't listen to me when I tried to tell her how bad the roads were. Larry told her she was F'in stupid if she was thinking of going out. So she got mad at us and stayed in her room. At least she was safe.

Jean was telling me earlier when I called her that her daughter went off the road into a ravine last night. She wasn't hurt, thank God. Fridays and bad roads are not good to my family. We didn't even go out to do our shopping like usual. I know its bad when Larry doesn't want to go out in it. I didn't want to go anywhere.

I shoveled a path off the deck off today. Its a heavy snow. I got the rest of the presents wrapped and the house cleaned this afternoon. Nicole left around 9 this morning. I guess Charlie will be in the area tomorrow she said. They're supposed to have breakfast I think. I don't know.

I don't plan on doing much of anything tomorrow. I have to make the stockings and get all the stuff ready to take up to Lins on Monday for our get together and gift exchange. I'm tired.

Mike.... glad you had a nice time. Welcome back.

Well I have to get the last of the laundry out of the dryer so I reckon I'll talk to ya tomorrow.

Last edited by cutlassgal; December 22nd, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM

[Warning, this post contains pictures of snow!]

Good Evening Everyone! I can't believe it has been over two weeks since my last post. My attendance normally isn't that bad

Over the last couple of weeks I've been sick (nothing serious, just the flu) and just generally busy.

I guess there is no doubt winter is finally here after the 16" of snow we got on Friday. It was a mess trying to get to work. I take the bus, but even the transit system here wasn't immune to the snow.

But our transit system doesn't have the best record in snow storms. This was a few years ago.

But what do you expect the the trailer wheels are the drive wheels

I am glad the Christmas vacation is finally here, I will fully enjoy the time off while I can. I'm even planning on working on a small project for the Cutlass.

Mike, glad to hear you had a good trip.

Jamesbo, what about string or wire? You could use a piece of wire/string through the two holes and around the tent pole, then use a piece of string from around the wire and up around one of the horizontal bars at the top, so it doesn't fall down? And yes I always come up with the most complicated solutions to a problem.

Clint, that looks like a nice pickup.

To everyone else, have a safe and fun holiday season!
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:47 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili dis mawn'in but spose to warm up later,

Guess how many red lines under werds I have when spell check checks my post.

Geeze Louise, I never seen so much snow. I don't see how yous guys stand it.

Sandy, Y'all be careful in dat crap too. An tell Nicole dat a day inside is better dan a week in intensive care,

I GTG to 2 family Christmas parties today, 1 in Newnan with de step son an his squeeze in der new house de rented.[wit de beagles from hell] and one in my cousins house in Peachtree City. It's gonna be a LONG day of try'in to be nice to relatives.

Have a great day Olds friends an try to stay warm
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:23 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning all!

We have sun this morning! Its making the snow sparkle. Temps at 23.

Jamesbo... try to have a good time and I'm sure you'll be nice. You can do it! Larry is in his usual Sunday mood. He hasn't been up 10 minutes and hes already starting in on "kids today that think they know every F'in thing." That's for Nicoles benefit cause shes working out in the living room. What a way to start the day... I was telling him about my neices accident the other night. I should have known better, cause it got him started. So I'm done talking today.

Its gonna be a long day.

Paul.... nice to hear from you. Glad you're feeling better. Have I ever mentioned that I hate snow?

Well you all have a nice day. Send some Christmas spirit my way...
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:52 AM
Always room for one more

Happy Sunday everyone.

No snow here, but it was 30 when I woke up this morning. Sometimes I wonder if the thermometer on the back porch is very accurate. Eh, it was under 60 so who cares.

Paul those are dreadful pictures. I just heard that Chicago got dumped on. I miss the place but I sure am glad I don't have to worry about -feet- of snow anymore.

Jamesbo have fun on the south side. Newnan and PTC are the popular places for Delta people to live. Did you figure out something for the tent?

Sandy does Larry wear any kind of jewelry, like rings or a necklace or anything? You could hook up one of those dog shock collars to it and every time he says something derogatory you could push the button and give him a jolt.

Just think you guys it's Christmas in Australia now and it's probably 80* or more. Now that would bring some Christmas spirit, playing on the beach.

Have a great day everyone, and Jamesbo be nice to the relation. You won't have to see them again until Easter.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:23 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by slantflat
Jamesbo do I detect that you felt a little slighted you didn't have an easy bake oven as a kid? I don't remember if my sister had one of those. My Mom was always baking(with the real oven) so I guess it wasn't a big deal.
+

Sandy I'll be helping my Mom make cookies when I'm there this week. And I'll bring a bunch home with me. When I was young my Mom was a cookie factory at Christmas. Everyone in the neighborhood got cookies and they were renowned. She's toned it down some the past few years but now she makes these plates with the colors on the back and puts them on there.
Sounds like you need to break out YOUR easy bake oven and put it to use .
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, I hope he doesn't have bad tooth
I thought they came up with the name " Toothbrush " because they were invented down south , otherwise they would have been called a " Teethbrush " . A little holiday humor for ya .
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Well the rain is diminishing But will be windy and cold afterwards

It is way easier to just left click and highlight everything prior to clicking anything then right click on "copy" and it's saved. Then if you accidentally press the wrong button all you have to do is paste and try again
I have this issue when trying to post something on here from work . I'll hit submit , and the puter gets stuck or just spins . Then I'll hit refresh , and everything will be gone .
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
I'm sitting at Conrads waiting for them to get Tincanio in for the tire rotation.... Don Joseph Toyota called and rescheduled the recall appointment I had this afternoon until next Wednesday night, cause they did not get their parts shipment in. I guess they want to do both recalls at the same time. I forgot about the recall on the rear control arm or some kind of arm back there, lol. So my afternoon is free now.

I should go in to Autozone while I'm here and get front rotors for the Intrigue, and then see if Conrads or Defer will put them on for Nicole, since Larry isn't talking to her again. When he did the brakes he ground the rotors, but they or one of them must be warped or something cause when she steps on the brake, the car jerks like the antilocks are kicking in. I dunno. Its always something I don't have money for, lol.
Actually both fixes are pretty easy , but in the freezing temperatures it's a PITA . If the steering wheel is shaking when you apply the brakes , and / or you here a rumbling sound , your rotors are definetely warped .
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Well..... Tincanio needs brakes and rotors all around. I knew I had a brake problem cause she makes noise every once in a while. They want $445 to do it. He said I could also use 2 new tires, the other 2 aren't that bad yet. I cant afford to do any of it right now. I have Teepo insurance due Jan. 1st, then insurance on Tincanio and the intrigue due in Feb. Sure wish I wasn't paying medical bills that I shouldn't have to be paying.... bet Dr. Cha ching Banks can get tires and brakes if he needs them, lol.
Good Lord ! Save yourself about $250 and do it yourself .... or just have Larry do it . It's really not that hard at all . If you need any kind of brake line replacement , replace the bad lines , and then just limp it to the garage to have them bleed the brakes .
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
I thought they came up with the name " Toothbrush " because they were invented down south , otherwise they would have been called a " Teethbrush " . A little holiday humor for ya .
Oh Bryan, did you lift this from the Awful house website? Actually I don't think it's on there. Typical staff there wouldn't get it.

And as far as my boy is concerned, he never suffered any noticeable pain and the swelling was gone by the evening. Hm.

I'm actually a pretty good cook. I don't have the patience for it nor the desire. I should start learning my favorite recipes, as my Mom won't be around forever.

Wonder how Jamesbo is doing at the parties.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
NOVICE car nut

[QUOTE=car_designer;488831][Warning, this post contains pictures of snow!]
I guess there is no doubt winter is finally here after the 16" of snow we got on Friday. It was a mess trying to get to work. I take the bus, but even the transit system here wasn't immune to the snow.

But our transit system doesn't have the best record in snow storms. This was a few years ago.

But what do you expect the the trailer wheels are the drive wheels [QUOTE]

I thought these kind of things never happen to you guys over there in snow land .
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Paul,
That's real mess! In the old days, transit systems did better in the snow. But that was with the older style GMC and Orion buses. The New Flyer DL40 and DL60's get stuck or slide in less than an 1" of snow at times. Pathetic. I was surprised to see the hi-way coach in the ditch because they are quite stable units unless they are caught in a viscious side wind.

Those Articulated Buses (artics) do have the engine/drive wheels in the rear section. So easy to jackknife even with the 'anti jacknife' technology built into them. The ones that are bent beyond 30° are candidates for the body repair shop - they will have structural damage. I see TTC an OC Transpo are starting to with more artics than ever because of the larger service demand. Edmonton only has around 40 of them, Calgary is upwards of 100 artics. They do work well in dry or rain weather.

Are the buses in Ottawa and Toronto AC equipped?
Old December 23rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
NOVICE car nut

Oh Bryan, did you lift this from the Awful house website? Actually I don't think it's on there. Typical staff there wouldn't get it.
No , I heard that joke years ago .
Old December 23rd, 2012, 03:46 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by oldsguybry
No , I heard that joke years ago .
Me too , you can adapt it to whatever the situation is and it never gets old. BTW, Sandy doesn't do repairs, others do it for her. So the things you were suggesting is all well and good but she won't be doing that herself.

On a + note, I decided not to wait till Santa arrived. I was browsing the web the other day for codes that show on Saturn. MIKE: pay attention. Do you ever have that damn Check Engine light come on for no good reason? Look what I just bought for 1/2 price (99.00)

Every time I had to get the DLC hookup to an OBD II done at a shop or dealership they charged anywhere from 75 to 90 bucks just to read the codes. This baby will read the codes; and I can download to my PC and check on line for the code remedy. This is NOT like the pre-96 diagnostics which used to flash the engine light to give the codes. Also, it lets me dump the stored codes and cancel the Check Engine light on the car after the repair is done. Well worth the $$$ spent.

As a matter of fact it will also suggest ways to hang Jamesbo's brochure thingy if I can ever get him to post a pic of it.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening all!

Well it stayed sunny today and got up to 36 degrees. Very nice. Some of the ice was melting, but it froze again tonight.

Mike.... I like your thinking, lol. Matter of fact, Larry wears a gold chain with 6 gold rings on it....

He left this morning and went shopping, thank God. Nicole took off to meet Charlie, and I went over to our friends Bill and Sue's and took them cookies and fudge. Had coffee and sat and visited and vented a couple hours. Nicole and their daughter Mariah used to be best friends from about 3rd grade on until they graduated. Nicole used to go on vacation with them and everything. Then they just grew apart for some reason. Nicole decided Mariah was too boring or something. I don't know. I wish they'd have stayed friends. Anyhow, I had a nice visit and felt better.

I came home and got all the food sorted for everyone and boxed up, and got all the stockings filled so I can take them for my sisters tomorrow.

Nicole is still alive after meeting with Charlie, lol. Guess he brought her army t shirts and cup cakes from Cake Boss. She's not home yet so I don't know what all they talked about yet. Cant be anything good I'm sure.

Well have a good evening all.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Paul,
That's real mess! In the old days, transit systems did better in the snow. But that was with the older style GMC and Orion buses. The New Flyer DL40 and DL60's get stuck or slide in less than an 1" of snow at times. Pathetic. I was surprised to see the hi-way coach in the ditch because they are quite stable units unless they are caught in a viscious side wind.

Those Articulated Buses (artics) do have the engine/drive wheels in the rear section. So easy to jackknife even with the 'anti jacknife' technology built into them. The ones that are bent beyond 30° are candidates for the body repair shop - they will have structural damage. I see TTC an OC Transpo are starting to with more artics than ever because of the larger service demand. Edmonton only has around 40 of them, Calgary is upwards of 100 artics. They do work well in dry or rain weather.

Are the buses in Ottawa and Toronto AC equipped?
Allan, I think that all buses bought in about the last 12 have been equipped with A/C. No clue about Toronto. Ottawa isn't actually new to articulated buses. They had a fleet of Orion articulated buses bought in the 80's.

And since you have some knowledge of busses, guess what they are doing here? They are going to test out converting the hybrid Orion VII to straight diesel powertrains

And that isn't a hi-way coach in the ditch. That is one of OC Transpo's new Alexander Denis Enviro500 double deckers.

Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:01 PM

Another snowy day here. No question about a white Christmas this year.

Sandy, good to hear you got a chance to vent.

Congratulations on the OBDII scanner Allan. It will be very useful.

Hope you had a great time at the parties today Jamesbo.

oldsguybry, just because we get snow every winter, doesn't mean it doesn't catch us off guard

Hope everyone has a great week.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Always room for one more

Good evening everyone.

Can't say it warmed up too much today, but was sunny so that helped. It's a little chilly tonight but the wood stove is attempting to help with the heating in here.

Allan the check engine light came on twice in my Saturn since I've had it. The first time I went to Advance Auto and they read the code for free. It was the 02 sensor. Of course the Saturn has two of them so it was a guess as to which one was bad. I replaced the front one(because it's the only one I could get at the time) and that cured it. The next year about the same time, emission test time, the light came on again, for one trip, then went out and it hasn't come on since. Start up not withstanding.

Paul why are the busses going to be converted to straight diesel? That seems to be a step backward. Perhaps the hybrid isn't working out as well as was first thought?

Sandy you sort of sound like a friend of mine who lives in Florida. She's always working so hard to make Christmas good for everyone, and no one seems to make an effort for her. Anyway, a couple years ago her then husband got her a set of pans for Christmas, so it would be easier for her to do the cooking. That's what he said. When she was less than thrilled, he got all mad and she got mad and picked up the Christmas tree and threw it across the room. I went on Youtube and found a video of a Christmas tree chucking contest and sent it to her. I'm gonna have to find that video again and post it on facebook or something.

Okay! Have a good night everyone and I hope tomorrow is a short day of work for people. It wouldn't be for me, but I won't be there anyway.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:20 PM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Allan R
Me too , you can adapt it to whatever the situation is and it never gets old. BTW, Sandy doesn't do repairs, others do it for her. So the things you were suggesting is all well and good but she won't be doing that herself.

On a + note, I decided not to wait till Santa arrived. I was browsing the web the other day for codes that show on Saturn. MIKE: pay attention. Do you ever have that damn Check Engine light come on for no good reason? Look what I just bought for 1/2 price (99.00)

Every time I had to get the DLC hookup to an OBD II done at a shop or dealership they charged anywhere from 75 to 90 bucks just to read the codes. This baby will read the codes; and I can download to my PC and check on line for the code remedy. This is NOT like the pre-96 diagnostics which used to flash the engine light to give the codes. Also, it lets me dump the stored codes and cancel the Check Engine light on the car after the repair is done. Well worth the $$$ spent.

As a matter of fact it will also suggest ways to hang Jamesbo's brochure thingy if I can ever get him to post a pic of it.
Man that's a nice christmas present ... Thanks
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:12 AM
CQR

Good morning all.

Well, Started my shopping on Saturday. Continued yesterday and finished the day with a batch of rum ***** and a batch of bourbon *****.

Spose to start snowing tonight and thru tomorrow. This will be a fresh white x-mas for us. I have a lot to do today. Wrapping, laundry, more shopping. etc. The kid left for work at midnight and is gonna be late to my mothers tonight. She probably wont be done delivering until around 8 p.m. tonight. Nothing like a 20 hour day.

I want to wish each and every one of you a Merry Christmas.

Have a great day all.
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Mawn'in all

Cold rainy and DANK down ere

All my relatives are alive an well. I found the trick to not going postal during de holidays. Take your dog [Red] to de parties. Fix ya self a stiff drink with rotten taters and walk the dog outside ALOT.

Mike, Yeah when I was a Boy Scout leader down in Peachtree City thar were plenty of Delta [an in does day Eastern] Folks around Had to teach many a "Pilot god" how to make Hobo stew and Coffee can casserole.

One mo party tonite [Super models clan] and it OVER Ought not to be mo dan a few hundred of her kin folks [Bless those Irish Catholics] Kinda reminds me of why Groucho got kicked off the air.

Merry Christmas Olds Friends
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning for now everyone.

I didn't get up until after 11 this morning. For some dumb reason I stayed up until 3 last night, so when I got up to make the dogs their breakfast I crawled back into bed for a little while. Well it was raining and at some point the dogs thought they heard thunder so they were crammed into my bed with me, but they were being so good I just let them be, until I saw it was 11 and decided I needed to get moving.

So yes, rain, dreary, dank, all those and more. The thunder seems to have gone away and the rain has lessened, so maybe it will all go away by this afternoon. I need to go to Walmart for some groceries but I don't know what time they close. Eh, if I don't make it so what.

Well I hope everyone has been good so Santa will come for a visit. I love the Mercedes commercial where the naughty people get a red Merc and the nice people get a white one.

Have a great day everyone, Jamesbo you and Red have a good time at the party.
Old December 24th, 2012, 09:05 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Merry Christmas Eve Oldsmofriends

Elsie came with her flat rock and is here to stay fer Christmas Too bad it isn't cold enough to snow, the kids would love that.

Well I guess I'd better get to the festivities I hope everyone has a safe and Merry Oldsmobile Christmas!

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:42 AM

Kinda reminds me of why Groucho got kicked off the air.
Heh, heh, I know that one!
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Cutlass Lover

Evening all!!

It was sunny most of the morning, but clouds moved in early afternoon. We had some rain/snow mix around 3:00 but it didn't amount to much. Temps in the 30's.

We're going to get hit on Wednesday with a major snow storm. Figures, the day we go back to work and have to be out in it. Its supposed to be worse than the one we had on Friday. They said it will go in to Thursday also. Joy oh joy.... I sure loved last winter.

Nicole and I went up to Lindas around 2:00. Jean and Diane came around 3. We had a nice time. I brought pizza and pop and Lin made Swedish meatballs. We had a cheese ball and some cheese and crackers. It was good! I got new slippers from Nicole, a beautiful set of windchimes with Cardinals on them from Diane, a WalMart gift card and a Kohl's gift card from Jean, a night gown and some bath things from Lin. I made out pretty good!

Nicole likes her camera I got her and the tons of gift cards. She got gift cards from the others too. We got home around 7:30 and Jr and Elyse were still here. They left a little after 8. Jr will be over for dinner tomorrow.

Well I suppose I better get off here. Merry Christmas to each of you. I hope your Christmas is great!!
Old December 24th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Always room for one more

Merry Christmas everyone!

By the end of the day the sun actually came out and it was a balmy 60*. Just as the sun was going down it suddenly got really foggy.

Tomorrow will start out like any other Tuesday, Awful house and lottery tickets. I need to get going early because the place will be busy after everyone opens presents. Then tomorrow evening I'm going to the neighbor's for dinner. She always puts on a big spread.

Scot I'm not getting those pictures. Is the idea that the Oldsmobile is actually Santa and he's coming down the chimney? Neat picture, though. Wonder what the name of the place is.

Okay that's it for me. Have a great night.
Old December 25th, 2012, 04:04 AM
CQR

Merry Christmas all. I'm so screwed. I forgot to buy the rolls.
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

Merry Christmas!
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:37 AM

Merry Christmas to you and yours. Hot day with a light shower tonight around 11pm.

Sorry I haven't been on for a little while, been busy with work and visiting family, well Tinks' grand parents. They are in their 80's. Work has gotten busy with the Christmas shutdown so I will be busy for a little longer until this shutdown is over on the 10th Jan

Wish Tink could have gone to Nicole's graduation at the skating rink Sandy, she has started roller derby which looks like lots of fun I have decided to build her a full size banked track in the back yard so that will be fun

Glad you had a good time in Michigan Mike and got home in one piece

I have missed a bit with the posts and I am too tired to go through them so I will have to catch up soon,

Have a very merry xmas all my olds friends

Adrian
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Captain Starfire

Merry Christmas!

Here's wishing all my Olds compadres a wonderful, safe, and peaceful Christmas, in the true spirit of the season.
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:56 AM

Mawn'in all

TAH-DAH

Made it thru anutter one w/o go'in to the slammer.

Ya know, I was just sitt'in ere think'in. Sandy, How long has it been since you got the new bumper fer Christmas. We been hang'in out ere fer quite a while haven't we?

Merry Christmas Olds friends.
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Always room for one more

Merry Christmas everyone!

The Awful house was brimming with cheer this morning. Eleven people working behind the counter. There was hardly room for them.

The dogs cleaned up with presents. New bones and treats, they're set for awhile.

Glad the parties didn't take their toll, Jamesbo.

Adrian I'm not getting it. You work harder during the shutdown?

Hope everyone has a great day.

Clint how's the new truck?
Old December 25th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well it's cloudy here but the sun is trying to peek out. Temps around 35 degrees. The driveway is nothing but ice. I should go throw some salt on it, I suppose.

Jamesbo..... You were thinking?? I wondered what that smell was, lol. Thought it was rotten taters.... I believe that was 2010. I joined the site in 2009, I think. I can't remember.

Jr. just got here, so Larry has someone to talk to. The ham is in the oven, baked beans are done, yams are in the oven and the taters are ready to be cooked for mashing. I didn't make deviled eggs. It's been a quiet morning here. No talking. Nicole didn't even get wished a Merry Christmas this morning when she got up. What a shame. I got a lot of Christmas texts from my friends.

You all enjoy the time with your families and friends - I hope there's a lot of laughing and good will going on in your homes.
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Well Sandy, I see that you got some snow headed your way! I will miss out on it, Detroit supposed to get around 6", but they're 200 miles S.E. of me.
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:38 PM

Yes Mike, with a shutdown all the machines are offline so maintenance can be done. We only have a short time frame before the machines have to be online again hence why we have to work harder.
Old December 25th, 2012, 10:06 PM

Good Morning Everyone. (It is AM here )

Had a great day today with family. Good supper too!

Sounds like you all had a good Christmas. From what I read there was good food, good gifts and no arrests, so all is good

I finally decided it was time to update my sig pic since the Cutlass was still red in the old one. This one is 100% my work.

Happy Boxing Day and shopping everyone!