The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Weeeell sheeeeeiit!
Ok, I know you meant well Clint an Jim but really? It's snowin here and so far there's 2" and it's still coming down like no tomorrow. The trees that had started budding look like their branches are gonna snap under the snow load. I was only asking for some rain.... Oh yeah, it's 30* and not Spoda get much better later.

We had several parties but the main players are N Democrats, Wildrose, and Conservative. That loosely translates to Left wing democrats, Tea Party, and Republican. Orange, green/pink, blue. Dats all de pollyhicks I tink it's safe ta post.

Traffic is a mess so I don't think I'm going anywhere today. Maybe curl up wit a kuppa koffee an my 2048 game. Oh Dan? 81.5 meelyun now....

Enjoy your day.
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Just in case anyone is wondering about the kids in school? A mock election was held throughout the public school system and the results tabulated. Their results weren't released till after the polls closed here at 8:00 last night. Their choices were absolutely a mirror of the final count, right down to the numbers of each party member elected! They've been spot on during the last two elections too. This should be a message to the pollsters who don't need to be bothering us at home, huh?

Also just an FYI for our U.S. Friends. Election results processing here is so fast we knew the projected results 50 minutes after the polls closed. Final results took another hour or so.
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Always room for one more

Clint here is the description my buddy gave me after I got the car from his Dad.

The black car has a .030 overbored 350 with ported Chevy “camel hump” heads from the 60’s. They used to be the best cast iron heads you could get for a small block. It is a 4-bolt main bearing block with forged TRW flat top pistons (10.5 to 1 compression ratio). It has a Comp Cams 292H hydraulic flat tappet cam. It makes an L82 idle sound smooth. It has a wicked lope at idle and makes power to 7,000 rpm. It has a single plane Weiand intake with a 750 cfm vacuum secondary Holley carburetor.
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Still coming down. Here's a few pics showing the white blanket of protection over everything...Putting together another Christmas wish list

Old May 6th, 2015, 11:44 AM

Allan, I gots these heat coils under de tiles in de bath. Maybe ya should puut sum on your deck
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:11 PM
CQR

Originally Posted by slantflat
Clint here is the description my buddy gave me after I got the car from his Dad.

The black car has a .030 overbored 350 with ported Chevy “camel hump” heads from the 60’s. They used to be the best cast iron heads you could get for a small block. It is a 4-bolt main bearing block with forged TRW flat top pistons (10.5 to 1 compression ratio). It has a Comp Cams 292H hydraulic flat tappet cam. It makes an L82 idle sound smooth. It has a wicked lope at idle and makes power to 7,000 rpm. It has a single plane Weiand intake with a 750 cfm vacuum secondary Holley carburetor.

Yeah. Thats not gonna work well with power brakes. I would stick with manual. That way you'll have the same pedal "feel" weather its idle or after high rpm.

Old May 6th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Captain Starfire

Mike, I agree with Clint wholeheartedly. I believe the old '70 W30 Olds came with manual front disks; if they can do it, so can you. My old '72 Vega had non-power front disks, too, and I have to say they might just have been the best thing on the car (although it was a very light POS). And just think -- when that Holley sucks your tank dry and you have to get a push, you'll have brakes before the motor starts back up.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; May 6th, 2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old May 6th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Always room for one more

Wow Clint that sounds like a dragster. No one would believe that sound was coming from a Corvair.

John that will be a common occurrence, since it still has its original gas tank. Twelve gallons I think.
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Bee-Oh-Pee
I believe the old '70 W30 Olds came with manual front disks..
John, ALL the 328° cam equipped 455 W30 cars were manual brakes. If you wanted it with PB? I believe you had to downgrade the cam to accommodate the vacuum requirement. None of the 4 speed cars should have PDB though.
Old May 6th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Mike!!
Something for you to check out, since you're a fan of Corvair? Try this one on for size - it's claimed to fit a 68 442 also
Old May 6th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Always room for one more

Wow that poor guy, not much left. Funny how people talk up that they have a Spyder, but the engine is gone. That's what makes it a Spyder.

Think I'll hit the sack early tonight. Gotta get up early for the Awful house. I've been going in late the last couple weeks and haven't seen my friends. They think I don't like them anymore. Have a good night everyone.
Old May 6th, 2015, 09:00 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening all. Sorry I've not been on here that much in the last week, I'll just blame the crazy schedule. I worked in Manhattan today and didn't get home until 8. At least it was a good day with picking up some new accounts.

While walking down the street, I ended up talking to a NYPD officer and thanked him for his service. He told me that he wished more people felt that way, lately he feels that most people wish the opposite. I told him he is more appreciated than he knows. Hopefully I put a smile on his face for the rest of the day. Between the national press, the protests and the police officer that was just gunned down, I think they are very demoralized.

We had an Olds show here on Sunday, it was sunny and 72. My son went with me and I put him to work cleaning the car. He did a pretty good detailing job for a first time trying. We took 3rd place, thought we'd do better but oh well. I'll have to post the pictures of the show, it was pretty well attended with upwards of 75 Oldsmobiles there.

Allan - wow, snow in May? That's crazy.

Clint - good video. Hope you don't have to worry about flooding.

Mike - I had manual brakes in a 67 Impala and did not think that they were too bad. Would have to think that your lighter car would be even better.

Well off to bed, have a good night all.
Old May 7th, 2015, 04:31 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All,
Nice and warm here today...could use a warm spring rain....

Working with my son for the last 3 weeks. He is a good worker and not afraid to get his hands dirty. Kind of changed our relationship from father/ son to man to man..

Allan, maybe Old Man Winter does not like Orange Crush? It will be interesting to see what happens after being so many years dressed in Blue...

Darrell, more people should thank all professions...farmers, mechanics, etc. Everybody contributes, and when they do not we notice. You did make his day

Time for work and another tour in the 455 tonight

Have a Day All
Old May 7th, 2015, 04:37 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Funny I keep getting logged off here for some reason. I check the 'remember me box each time I log in too.

No flooding yet, They are calling for a chance of snow on Sunday. Rained hard most of the day at the shop, but didn't get much here at the house.

Have a Thursday all.
Old May 7th, 2015, 05:47 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter not dry one

Clint, I'll keep my fingers crossed dat de creek don't rise [any more]

Zo, Yesterday afternoon, I'm sitt'in 'round ponder'in my naval and de phone rings. My ex-wife's 1/2 brother. Mike, ya may know him. He was a Delta baggage gorilla fer 20 years. Hadn't spoken to de jerk in 20 years. He's start'in a landscap'in business an wanted sum help NOT
Old May 7th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

'Twas pea soup outside when I took out de trash. Suns out now burning it off. It was pretty thick tough, visibility was only about 150'.

Ted, I believe you're right. The new Premiere elect spent the day trying to reassure business they were safe here.

Jim, funny how stuff like dat happens. I'd say de same under de circumstances.

Phone company is coming to replace a line from the outside to inside. Spoda be here between 8-9. On the bright side they're giving us 2 weeks discount on TV services for the inconvenience. Yay Telus.

Hope y'all enjoy your day.
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got up early and headed to the Awful house, and saw my friends whom I haven't seen in weeks. It was a joyous reunion.

Jamesbo you guys getting rain? It's wonderful down here. What kind of help did the x-bil want? Money? Work?

I bought some stuff last night at Lowes that's like tar in a jug. It's crack filler for the driveway and I wanted to see how it would do on the asphalt over at the shop. So I get over there and all this equipment is parked on the driveway in front of the gate. The gas co. is replacing the main, and admittedly, it doesn't look like anyone ever goes to that property. I opened the gate and drove around the equipment, but didn't get to do any crack filling. Oh well. They can't be there forever.

Clint I owe you an apology. I misspoke a few weeks ago when I said the Hilux was the name of a big Toyota van that the Australians use as a bus. It isn't; it's the Hiace. I may have put up some resistance when you said it was the name of the pickup when it first came out. Which I know to be true. I'm sorry. I'm not as bright as I think I am.

I think after lunch I'll load up the pickup and haul a bunch of scrap to the recycler. I may get enough for it to pay for the gas to drive over there. At least it won't be in the landfill.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.
Old May 7th, 2015, 09:20 AM
CQR

No skin off my nose Mike. I'm having a hard time remembering the convo. Alls good.
Old May 7th, 2015, 11:37 AM

Hum?
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Is dat what de call 'Don't git yer panty's in a knot?"
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:04 PM
Always room for one more

Well my driveway crack filler didn't work as planned. It was a little too runny, and the slightest bit of dirt would turn the stuff into little *****(like mercury) and run everywhere other than where I wanted it. So I guess I will have to leave it be and if a big enough chunk of asphalt comes up I'll patch it.

I must have walked through a nest of ticks because I've pulled at least a dozen off me since I got home. Three or four of the bigger ones and a bunch of the little bitty ones. Little ******. I hopped in the shower and scrubbed head to toe, and when I got out here comes one running down my arm.

Took a load of scrap to the recycler, 640 pounds, and got 38.40. For you math wizards that's 6 cents a pound. Why isn't the cents symbol on the keyboard anymore? I knew tin was down but holy cow.

Well I'm going to meet my sister at the airport. My niece is flying in from California as well and we're going to have dinner and then they are driving to Pensacola. Today is her birthday. She's 50. Holy Cow. My sister in law turned 40 yesterday. What's with all these old people around me?

Okay see ya. Nothing like going into the city when everyone else is trying to leave.
Old May 7th, 2015, 08:42 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Well,we're in the middle of a nice weather stretch here, 77 and sunny today. Unfortunately though everything is turning yellow from all the pollen coming off of the trees. Great to walk outside and choke on the fresh air, lol.

Mike - wow, I knew the price of scrap fell but that's a lot of loading work for 6 cents/pound.

Jamesbo - how did you get a picture of my invention? I hadn't launched it yet,

Clint - seems like our weather roles are reversed lately. Probably about three or four weeks ago where it was snowing here and 70 where you are.
Old May 8th, 2015, 04:29 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Darrell, That must mean its dry up your way? We got another .75" last night and it's still coming down. Thats a lot for us. We get about 16" a year and we are way above normal so far with over 6" YTD. Any pollen around here has been washed away.

Mike Hope dinner was good. Guy came yesterday and picked up my scrap. I had some exhaust and a bunch of aluminum water pumps and master cylinders. I got 10 bucks. It's terrible how low scrap prices are.

Allan, I think maybe we need to move to Seattle to get a little sunshine.

Sandy? Hope you're ok.

I'm guessing our race will be cancelled for Sunday. The course would be ok, but the guy doesn't have any gravel in the parking area. and it's sticky clay. That would be a disaster.

Have a weekend all.
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:13 AM

Mawn'in all

A nutter nice hot dry day

Still wait'in fer sum clouds before I set out more maters

De Gawga life support system [a/c] went tango uniform in my Cheby 2500 4x4 must have sum kinda leak

Clint, How's de river do'in?

Mike, I walked down a wild horse path on Cumberland Island trying to get to an Indian pottery dump once. I got covered in small seed ticks What a PITA

Have a great weekend Olds friend
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:31 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Dinner was nice with my sister and niece. I met them at baggage claim and we went to a diner close to the airport. They were driving about half way to Pensacola last night, so we weren't in a rush. I hadn't seen my niece in a year.

Jamesbo I think I got them all. I need to research what a good repellant is. I think certain fruit juices squirted on you is good enough, I gotta figure it out.

Clint did the guy have a scale with him or just eyeball it? Copper must still be up, or people think that it is, because we still have problems with thieves stealing air conditioner coils from houses.

Darrell is your pollen season late? Ours has come and gone. It was sort of a non-issue this year because of all the rain.

Okay gonna get the day started. Happy Friday everyone.
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:36 AM

Mike,, De more DEET the better
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all... Looks like another warm one in da' swamp. It'll hit dern near 90 if the clouds allow. Thank goodness the A/C on the F-150 seems to still be working (very well, I might add) after the repair last year for about the 4th time.

Jamesbo, is that your "new" truck? Hope it's under warranty.

Clint, the Man upstairs obviously has a sense of humor with that snow. We're looking out for tropical storms down here (i.e., Ana) and yer still gettin' snow in CO. Go figger.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Holy Cow. My sister in law turned 40 yesterday. What's with all these old people around me?
Mike, I wish I was that old again. I know what you're talking' about, though, when all the relatives you always thought of as "kids" are suddenly "middle aged." It's a shock to the system.

Whelpt, happy Freya's day and also, happy 70th Jubilee of V-E Day, Oldsmofriends. Almost makes me want to have a Foster's -- but not quite.
Old May 8th, 2015, 07:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning
Clear and cool. Froggy again too.

Mike, because there are too many symbols on the Qwerty board already. If you want cents try Alt 0162. If you want degrees Alt 0176. If you want food? Try Alt Awful House. Careful with tics, some can give you Lyme disease. Have someone check your scalp really well. That's a favorite hiding place for them.

Clint, I don't think Seattle is much better. Purty wet there too.

John,stay out of the storm path. Funny it seems you guys in de swamp are either freezing or sweltering.

Might go to the boneyard and check out the Delta 88 Royale Brougham they just got in.

Enjoy your day.
Old May 8th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Captain Starfire

Originally Posted by Allan R
Funny it seems you guys in de swamp are either freezing or sweltering.
Very good observation, Allan -- lotsa' truth there. Maybe it's cuz I'm not a cub anymore, but it never used to seem like this way back when....

BTW, what year is dat Delta, just out of curiousity?
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

John, it's a 1984
Old May 8th, 2015, 09:09 AM

Well, I got registered for STD this morn. Looks like the first car show of the year in my parts is going to be rained out, It's the Spring Dust Off @ the Gilmore Car Museum scheduled for tomorrow...dang it! A buddy was going to bring his '69 427 Caprice, a very nice car, they had 400+ last year. That reminds me to put a charge on my camera battery just in case.
Old May 8th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Always room for one more

Hey guess what I got a mower for my shop. A friend of mine at the Awful house is retired from the sheriff's department and he fixes up old stuff to sell for a few bucks. He said he had this old riding mower he got running real nice that he was trying to sell for 250, he said it would go through the tall weeds and grass at the shop like nothing. I said, I'd give you 250 if you think it would do the job. So he brought it over to the shop and mowed several strips. Man that thing mowed the hell out of all that. Deal! I said, thanks for creating a bunch more work for me.

Dan the Summit Monday night shows have started and I can't go until June. I work Monday nights this month. I rarely hear of any local shows and there are no big shows downtown. If I lived in Florida there are shows on every corner.

Got home from the shop and my girl was out on the back porch, again. She dug her way through the heavier stuff I put in front of the basement door. No thunder, have no idea why she did this. It's the second time in a week. I think my boy learned his lesson a couple years ago when they got out and he doesn't follow her. So this afternoon I'm moving all the piled up stuff and putting a permanent fix on the door. Heck maybe I'll be able to get my John Deere out and use it this summer.
Old May 9th, 2015, 05:34 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Werm.
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', all. Nudder hot one in da' swamp. Had a great lunch and visit with some old friends in the (N.O.) Warehouse District yesterday. Saw their new condo. Very, very nice.

Mike, sounds to me like it's time for a couple huge kennels fer your house! I know you wouldn't want to do it, but we did it for our old girl, Loretta, 10 years ago (she was the one who was spooked by the weather) and she seemed to love it... it gave her a sense of protection. You just can't leave them in it for days. But it would seem to me like it would solve so many issues for you, including the sleep.

Gonna bring the recycling this morning, so time to get the lead out and get those boxes & stuff in the back o' the truck and skedaddle.

So y'all have a great day of Saturn, with a weekend to boot.
Old May 9th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Awful house. Had an interesting time. I of course took the Dodge van there and a friend of mine rolls in and makes a big joke about running into it and raising the value, and this guy sitting next to me says, I'd like to buy a van like that, would you sell it? I said, nah, I just bought it. But he persisted. I said, well, make me an offer, I can walk home. So he goes out and takes a bunch of pictures and wants to see the inside. And I tell him all the things I've found wrong with it and he said he'd call me. Uh huh. Well, he was a nice guy to talk to.

John the fortress room is my answer to the huge kennels. I built a 3x5 "crate" and they chewed their way right out of it. The metal lined walls are the only thing that has contained them. I'd hate for them to be in their room all day right after they've been in there all night.

Gonna work on the brakes on the Corvair today. If I take the master cylinder off a car with power brakes and use it on this car without power brakes, will it really make a difference? I know there are different mc's for different configurations. But, I have the master off my grey G20 and I can get a rebuild kit for about 12 bucks, and that saves me from using one of my single circuit Corvair masters.

Might go do some more mowing over at the shop today. I need to find some chain and a lock so it doesn't sprout wings, if you know what I mean. It is, after all, at an airport...

Last day off. Gonna be another beautious one. Have a good day everyone.
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:33 AM

Nice in de mountains

John, Tanks fer de e-mail Izzy LOL

Mike, I jes curious. How do you determine what car you're gonna werk on each day.Do ya have a dart board system?
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Always room for one more

Nah Jamesbo I like lists. I have everything on a list and on "car washing day" I pick the car on the top of the list. I do whatever I can with what I have on hand, and if I need to order parts I do, but then they have to wait until the next time it comes up in rotation. Now, if something breaks or needs attention on something I drive fairly regularly then I take care of it. I mean, I'm not going to neglect the brakes on something I'm driving to work just because it isn't its turn.

Here in Henry County, and the entire state I believe, we have water restrictions. Sounds funny with the amount of rain we've been getting. Since my address ends in an even number, I can use outside water on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday. So those are the days I concentrate on working on cars. I try to wash whatever I'm working on when I'm done, though sometimes that doesn't work out.

Yes I know this sounds a little bizarre, it's sort of based on what we do at work. Pretty much anything I do is based on something at work. The company is very good at brainwashing. The Delta way is the only way, blah blah. Eh, it works for me.

Okay lunch is over. I didn't get very far with the brakes on the Corvair(it needs a master and the one in the van is toast) so now I'm going to wash the Mustang so it's nice for my trip to Florida next week.
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Makes sense to me.

When I was a property manager we 'd have paint'in schedules
Old May 9th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, I betcha wen you was de property manger you never lifted a brush neither Dat's grunt werk isnt it?
Old May 10th, 2015, 05:57 AM

Worm

Hope Allan de don't make paint brushes in my size