The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Always room for one more

No I'm not guaranteed anything. That's why all our passes and tags say NRSA, Non Revenue Space Available. They're not making any money off us so we get on last. That's not a stretch. Like Lynn Anderson says, I never promised you a rose garden. It works most of the time. I guess you have to play the game for awhile to understand it all.
Old April 18th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All,

If it was not a w30, I would have never bought a black car...got her nice and shiny, but could not keep up with the pollen fallin on it

Allan,how did we make out at the rink?....coverage in the papers here has been weak at best!

John, I guess we could live in drought stricken California

Got in touch with my broker friend who is going to look at a Cutlass for me....

A guy is coming today to look at my two g bodies today....says he wants both....then I will put the $ to the convertable build

Have a Day All
Old April 18th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Captain Starfire

He he... right you are, Sammy! I ain't complainin' -- it just sounds that way.

Mike, so sorry you had to go thru that crap. Just one question: could you opt for the $3 grand/yr rather than the flight benefits? B/W down under and CO, you're batting 1000 lately. Kinda' sucks, but you don't need me sayin' that. I kinda' feel your pain after my Delta flight out of Peoria a few weeks back.

Anyhoots, we're having a lull from the rain, so's I spent a couple hours layin' fabric. Had a quick bite and goin' back out to "make hay while the sun shines."

Later, folks.
Old April 18th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted,
Ya gotta go back a few pages, but here's what I posted back then

Originally Posted by Allan R
Eve beats the Ruskies (Ana)with 2 steals and wins the Players Championship (Women's side). Good for her. Now it's the mens turn.
Originally Posted by Allan R
Sad face. Brad Jacobs wins men's side ONLY because McEwens front end over swept his draw shot 2" too far. Darn it anyway.
So the season is over for the year. You'll have to get to the local rink one of these days. If it's anything like here the local clubs sponsor summer clinics and camps. Worth every penny too. You can learn to balance, slide, sweep, deliver rocks properly, start feeling the differences between the various weight shots (guard, draw, tap, run back, peel) and also some strategy.

I know you're a busy guy with work and restos going on but maybe check the local club websites for their summer programs. Here's an example of what to look for. This is the home page from the Saville (my home club) as an example.

So did you look at that red 71 CS? I'm thinking it's pretty steep on the ask and I'm leary of cars that are left out like that.
Old April 18th, 2015, 01:50 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted, I almost forgot. If you want to see some of the better shots of the games without watching through hours and hours? Check out this line to TSN Curling. There are lots of 'shot of the game' outtakes. If this link only goes to the home page, clik on video (right on the top banner after CURLING). If you want the overall results of all the Team Canada games, check this link

Don't worry, I'll keep ya updated next year too if you're away from the game. Assuming of course I'm still in the game.
Old April 18th, 2015, 06:38 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening all. Well my job has me going into Manhattan now to open up new accounts. Always interesting trying to drive around in there with the traffic and all. Also get to see some interesting people. One guy was walking around with a dry erase board, about 24x36, and it said, "Wanted Girlfriend who likes to ...." couldn't read all of it since it was under his arm, but I never would have thought about advertising for a girl like that. I wish him luck, LOL. Another guy I saw was wearing platform shoes, probably about 5 inches high and a long tan leather coat. Looked like pimpin' style from the 70's.

Today was the best day of the year so far, 76 and sunny. I spent about 3 hours today cleaning up all the sand in the street in front of the house. Had 2 wheelbarrow loads. Every snowstorm they just kept dumping it and never cleaned it up.

Clint - that was some serious snowfall for April. Guess the only good thing you could say is it should melt very quickly.

Well that's all from here, have a good night all.
Old April 19th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Worm?

Mornin All

Great getting the cars out yesterday. Burned up a 1/2 tank in the Western Cutlass, layin a little rubber here and there...felt great!
I backed off the timing a bit on the w30, and it is running good now. 900 at idle and 550 in gear

Allan, thanks for the links. Yes, I kinda got behind the rock , but things will slow down and I plan on getting at it again. I know they offer a summer camp of sorts here....it would be a good way to learn more about the game.ty bud...
How are you makin out with your car Allan?

Darrel, sounds like Spring has brought out all kinds.....hehe, I never needed a sign, just a lot of moonshine

I think Spring is here!!

Have a Day All
Old April 19th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Dreary out. Light rain started I think around 4. It needs to dry out so I can mow. My grass is about 2 feet high, really.

Darrell how far away from Manhattan are you? Because on Seinfeld when they go to that party on Long Island, they say, you came all the way out to Long Island for this? And then Elaine says, the dingo ate your bay-bee.

John there's no choice on flight benefits. In fact a thing they started a few years ago is we have to pay $50 every year to activate them. If we don't want to pay the 50, we don't get the benefit. It's all very serpentine.

Time for Awful house then inside stuff today. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
Old April 19th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

Got a dirty car? One of the gas stations up here just installed a new "glide" wash. For promo they decided to offer free washes all weekend. I went down last night when the lineups should have been shorter. Still a 15 minute wait but the cars is spiffy clean and waxed this mawnin.

Darrell, Sounds like an interesting hood. The city is Spoda clean the streets here next week. Not sand they put down here, it's like pea gravel.

Mike, Sure you do t mean clandestine? Paying to 'activate' a benefit is not a benefit, it's a cost in my books no matter how ya slice it. So that means the value associated with it (3050.00?) should be entirely tax deductible whether you use it or not.

Dan, 74 meelyun now

Scot, looks like Neal and bob have spawned a protege.

Nice n calm this mornIng. Likely de missus will want to go shopping today. Not like we need anything. If WW3 started we have plenty of supplies to last months

Enjoy your day.
Old April 19th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Always room for one more

No actually I was going to say convoluted. But I think I used that word recently, so the thesaurus suggested serpentine. I thought it fit, because the company's rules can sometimes be twisty and turny, and they can also act like a serpent. I never thought about deducting the 50 as a work expense, clever.

So while I was at the Awful house we had about a 5 minute downpour. Got home and the dogs(read that my girl) completely tore apart the corner of the closet and chewed up more of the carpeting. There's not going to be anything left of this room, but it's sacrificial, better one room than the whole house.

That's one thing I can do today that's inside, clean the dogs' room. Again.
Old April 19th, 2015, 10:56 AM

No wifi from de Dog house
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Captain Starfire

Uncle!

Aptly named day today - sun is actually visible for a change in da' swamp.

Had 'nuff o'da'landscping for a while. Got all the dirt, fabric, mulch, & rock down; now I need another few bags of rocks. The new ones I got at Lowe's are crappy. They're packaged by Quikrete, and the old ones were by Vigoro were way better. A portion of the "crapcrete" ones was like grits; nothing but powder and dust. It has no sharp, jagged edges like marble chips should have. No more o' dem for me. I need 3-4 more bags, so I'll see if "Home Despot" in Covington has the good ones.

Loaded a coupley o'pic's of the handiwork for your viewing pleasure. Still need to hose (perhaps pressure-wash) the walkways, but that can wait 'til tomorrow. Too bad the whole job won't stay lookin' like this for long; inevitably, mulch will cross into the rock, & some rock will cross into the mulch. But I'll try to keep after it.

One of the biggest parts of the job (done before we left) was to get all traces of the banana tree and roots up from that corner. It took me practically a complete day, digging those roots up. It looked great every summer when it was in full stature, but looked awful (and was quite a pain) after the first freeze every year.

You can see it looks like I'm growing hay on the front lawn. If it we have no more rain for a week, I might be able to mow next weekend. Poor mower....

Whelpt, I'm gong to try and wash the truck this evening (filthy since the trip) and get the Toyota out of the garage and off the Tender so's I can start using it again. (Ain't cranked it in about a month. )

Y'all have a great rest o'weekend, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 19th, 2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old April 19th, 2015, 07:30 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sammy - you would need a lot of moonshine if you saw the things I saw. LOL

Allan - hope your city is more reliable than mine.

Mike - I'm about 50 miles east of Manhattan. That can be quite a long ride during rush hour.
Old April 20th, 2015, 04:25 AM

Mawn'in all

Welp, Tis Monday so, I'm outa ere

Hope de thunderboomers don't show up

John,

Dat's beautimus, What happened to all de pine woods rooters?

Have a great week Olds friends
Old April 20th, 2015, 04:53 AM
CQR

MOrnin all.

Jamesbo, Hope you and the super model have patched things up.

Darrell,We had snow on the exact same date last year (not as much) Today they are calling for snow, then rain then possible thunderstorms.

John, Its looking good. looks a bit warmer there too.

Mike, sorry you weren't able to make it. One of these days. Maybe this is why it was so busy? http://www.cannabiscup.com/

Allan, What does 'Glide' mean? Is it touchless?

Have a Monday all.

Last edited by CQR; April 20th, 2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old April 20th, 2015, 05:25 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All

Cool,rainy and windy...

John, nice looking yard!

Mike, why do your dogs flip out when inclement weather sets in?...mine sleeps

Clint, does your area suffer from drought? What is the main industry?

Darrel, that must be a hell of a commute

Allan, any updates on your car? Did ya like my hay wagon car hauler?

Well, local teachers are on strike here....time to put the kid to work

Have a Day All
Old April 20th, 2015, 05:34 AM
CQR

Originally Posted by sammy

Clint, does your area suffer from drought? What is the main industry?
Not really. People have the belief that we should have more water than we do. We are a Semi Arid High Mountain desert.We are way more wet than we were when I was a kid. The time football started the lawns were brown. Now they are green well into November. We don't have a lot of big lakes or very many of them. That make the existing ponds kinda crowded with boats a lake fleas (Jet ski's) Probably why I never got into water sports much.

Looks like Pot is the wave of the future We have a large Tech presense. But we have such a mix of things, we aren;t like Allentown, PA, or Portland that has one main industry.
Old April 20th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

Yesterday got the winter tires changed over on the Sonata. Also installed OE mudguards I got from the boneyard to replace the flat aftermarket ones. Spoda be up to 70 here today. Going to see de results of lab work last week. Not much parking at the hospital so gotta take de train.

Took the mower out of the shed. Wouldn't start. Left it in the sun for an hour and it fired up ok. Must be a female model?

Ted, your body roller looks slightly Fordish. But it also appears to work. Nothing on my car yet this year, but soon I Hope.

Clint, it's a computerized was system. Not chain drive. You drive onto a giant conveyor belt, the puter scans the vehicle length and height and position on the belt, then adjusts as needed. Yes, soft cloth wash, not touch less. Seems to do a decent job.

Darrell, I hope so too. I did sweep in front of The drive anD house yesterday but didn't get as big a haul as you. I left the pile on the street though. Still wondering were the street sweepers are.

Jim, you have a spat wit de super model?

John, de plantation lookin good. What kind of grass is dat anyway? Looks diffrent from ours.

Mike, 2' high grass? You need a tractor or bush hog instead of a mower.

Time to put on some koffee. Enjoy your day.
Old April 20th, 2015, 06:21 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all

Not too bad here in da' swamp dis mawnin'. 'Bout 68 deg or so, and spose to be dry and moderate for a change. Tomorrow, not supposed to get out of the 70s up here. Went for a walk w/ better half in Ponchatoula Park right at 7 bells, but we just did 2 laps (about a mile each) 'cause the sun was so intense. I was hoping for a cloud or two to shield us, but no such luck. (We normally go 3.)

Thanks, folks. My knees are as sore as the yard is nice. Jamesbo, me thinks that what I thought was pigs were really armadillos. And I still have them. I had seen them all along, but didn't think they could do the damage they were doing, so I blamed it on phantom pigs. I was wrong... those armadillos make one heck of a mess in the yard. I'm going to pop the sucker next time I see him. But right now, the grass is so high, you can hardly see where they do their damage. In winter, and summers right after mowing, it's painfully obvious.

Allan, it's whatever's wild! I did plant some centipede right after we built the garage, but it's not a big portion; I just let whatever wants to grow, grow, and try and keep it trimmed. Too much acreage to really worry about whether it's St. Aug or rye, the way I used to do when I lived in the city and had a cute, little front yard.

Whelpt, think I'm going to be an inside dweller most of the rest of the day. Gots some furniture to move and rearrange, and an Ipod to reassemble!

Y'all have a great day of the moon, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 20th, 2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old April 20th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Don't know why I'm running so late today. It really felt good staying in bed. My girl hasn't budged from the spot she slept all night. Eh, it's my day off I can do what I want.

Ted I don't know why the dogs freak out when it rains. I suspect in their past life they were left outside all the time and not paid much mind. I got them when they were 4 and by then fears and bad habits are pretty much ingrained.

John the yard looks nice. What do you mean you don't want to obsess over acres of lawn? My Mom had an armadillo when she lived in Florida(the first time) that would burrow under the house. It would dig holes all over the yard. The locals said the only way to get rid of them, other than shooting them, was to put a bunch of broken glass around the outside of the house. Odd, but it worked. One day she saw the sucker smushed in the street. Problem solved.

I used to drive 50 miles to work each way when I lived up home. It wasn't during peak traffic times so it wasn't so bad. I drove an S10 and I was doing oil changes like crazy. Did that for three years.

Well I guess I'll get on to the Awful house and see what I can get into today. Overcast now, don't know what the rain has in store. Have a good day everyone.
Old April 20th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Captain Starfire

Hey, Mike... thanques.... I just don't have time to worry about what kind of grass is growing in the seemingly endless fields I have to mow... it's tough enough to keep it mowed, much less "pure." Essentially, they're all weeds! I just (try to) keep 'em trimmed.

Ted, we've had more than one dog that freaked out during inclement weather. One of them would start acting weird as soon as the sky would darken. The other was more lightening and thunder averse. Actually, one of our cats (Fred) kind of shuts down during storms. They other two carry on as if nothing's wrong, and wonder what the heck is wrong with him.... I don't think it's that uncommon.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 20th, 2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old April 20th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Always room for one more

You know what's funny, John, some of the new neighborhoods going in around here have St. Augustine grass. Wide blades, thick, cuts your feet when you walk barefoot on it. I tell people, up home we called that crab grass...
Old April 20th, 2015, 10:09 AM

I never have spats wit de super model. She jes gets' P.O.'d at sum one else and takes it out on the nearest person.............moi
Old April 21st, 2015, 12:22 AM

Morning All,

Am I crazy or what?

Six months ago, my neice, 21 and 175 pounds told me she was running the London marathon, natrually I laughed at the the thought that an overweight lazy girl, who never even walked much let alone run would be able to go for 26+ miles, so of course I said yeh I will sponser you. I was so sure she would back out that I sponsered her for 1000 bucks.

Six months later she is 130 pounds and running 15 miles a day.

Whoops!!
Old April 21st, 2015, 04:30 AM

Mawn'in all

No rain today

Sloshed around smack'in whitey yesterday. ball got plugged in de fairways

London, Why did ya bet dollars instead of pounds?

Welp, busy day donw ere

GTG

Have a great Day Olds friends
Old April 21st, 2015, 04:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone

Got the lawns de thatched and trimmed yesterday. Took 2 hours but it's worth it. Gotta get some fertilizer today. Also gotta trim the oak out front before the sap starts flowing. No bud yet so it's the perfect time.

Took the Sonata back to the body shop and showed them all the chipping that was on the front bumper cover after only 2600 miles. They started hedging but finally said it was paint failure. I think they didn't put enough flex agent. Brian gave me good tips to use dealing with them. Anyhow, the car will be going back for warranty paint and fix the door molding that's falling off on May 11.

Gerry, her losing that much weight and finding something healthy is a success that's worth more than 1 large. Good for her. Her losses are both your gains IMO.

Jim, so some days yer de statue an some days yer de pigeon so ta speak?

Slurp. Koffe tastes great this manning. Enjoy your day.
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:26 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All

Darn teachers!. Still out on Strike

John and Mike, I do think it is normal for animals to react to weather, but not to the extreme of tearing things apart. Wonder what was in Mikes dogs past that has led to their type of reactions?

I agree Allan....my boy gets 1000 and a car if he does not smoke by 18. Money well spent

If I was Allan's neighbour, I would be takin coffee over......time for a cup

Have a Day All
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:24 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all....

Glorioso morning in da' swamp. 'Twas 54 deg's and dry, so went for another walk in the park at 6:30 (full 3 laps today). Sun was ripping new hole in the sky before 7... glad I brought my cap.

Movin' furniture (mostly, bookcases) up & down stairs yesterday, and one more to do today. (Doin' a little rearranging.) The one to go downstairs today is a heavy, tall, metal etagere that belonged to my Mom... not going to be fun. But we'll be done with the movin' stuff for a while, anyhoots.

I really need a big purge... Still have the tendency (both of us, actually) to be a pack rat. It's a amazing how fast stuff accumulates. Soooo... I need to make truck-run to a charity and unload a bunch of stuff we no longer use or need... I sell some stuff on eBay and C/L, but it doesn't go fast enough. My fatal flaw is -- when it's time to unload something -- I say to myself, "What if I need this thing in a few months?"

Whelpt, will be running my errands to Covington today; last time to use the truck for a while; still haven't taken out the Toyota. Should get to that this evening.

Y'all have a great one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 21st, 2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old April 21st, 2015, 12:51 PM
Cutlass Lover

Hi all!

Still alive and kicking over here, just barely though. This back pain is unreal!! It's kicking my butt. I'm just tired all the time and don't feel like doing anything.

Its windier than heck today. Yesterday too. Had rain on and off yesterday, just cloudy and cool today. We could get some rain snow mix Thursday. That's depressing...

Saturday was just gorgeous! I painfully brought out my lounge chair and laid in the sun for about 4 hrs! First time I was in my chair since last August. I enjoyed it. Had a heck of a time getting back up out of it though. I've never felt anything like this back pain. Man!!

I've been going to a chiropractor for 3 weeks now. It's helped some but the pain just seems to be moving from one place to another. My ribs hurt like crazy now and my right shoulder into my neck. Lower back is stiff and sore. Left leg groin area..... lord! I limp, can't take my daily walks or work out. I will ask the surgeon on May 7th if I can do physical therapy too. They said the chiropractor was ok as long as I'm not laying on my front. So I lay on each side and he does the adjustments. Eventually I'll be on the table and he'll work his way up my back and neck. He's not in my insurance but I went ahead and prepaid for 6 months. Surgery wise I'm healed real good.

Strange thing... first adjustment he did,the right side of my chin and teeth went numb. It actually feels like novacaine is wearing off. Really weird. Still like that. Some kind of nerve thing going on.

It sucks having to walk over to see Clay with this pain. I didn't go over yesterday.

The real McCoy seems to be working out fine. He's a go getter! Brian keeps telling him to slow down! He's already figured out Brian. Lol. Didntwtake him long to see the true colors. He's been listening to Brian tell everyone about his congestion over and over today. he's trying to hang in until our remodel and he gets his own office. He said " I've known Brian for years and had no idea he was like this!" I said, I know right?? People don't know how he is because they don't spend time with him every day. I still don't know how him becoming manager is going to work. Steve already figured out it's Brian's way or it's wrong....

So nothing new going on here. Haven't had Teepo out any. Been picking and enjoying the daffodils and hyacinths. Larry planted more lily bulbs for me. Peonies are getting tall. Tulips have buds. Everything is opening late this year. Trees are budding but not opening yet.

I never did get to my spring cleaning thats usually done in March.

Nicole was home weekend before last. I got to see her a little bit, lol. She gets back a nice tax refund this year. She did finally go and get her own bank accounts again.

John.... I don't think we'll be taking any trips. We have to come up with $22,000.00 for our taxes. Work has been so slow for Larry. He is really worried. I keep trying to be positive like Joel says!

Well better get off here and wander over in the cold to see Clay.
Talk to you all later!!
Old April 21st, 2015, 02:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slept until after noon today, then got up and mowed. It's beautiful out. Figures, it gets nice when I have to go to work.

Sandy I didn't know the Real McCoy knew Brian beforehand. Is Brian putting him up to discreetly getting people to talk about him? Hope your back pain goes away soon.

John I think the rule of thumb is if you haven't used something in a year, get rid of it. Hm. My house would be empty. However, everything is essential.

Ted I wish I knew why my dogs were afraid. Poor dog parents the first time around. My only hope is they didn't get more dogs after they dumped these two at the shelter.

Okay time for work. It's Monday. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their week.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:43 AM
CQR

Mornin all

Sandy glad you're back and sorry to hear about your back. Hope it straightens itself out.

John we have a real small house and it's pretty much at max density, but now that dad (Father pack rat of eternity) wants to whittle down his empire, I have no place for a lot of what he wants to hand out.

Ted, Runor has it our Teachers are getting ready to strike. They gat a pay raise last year and aren't happy about it. Seems they don't like the idea of a performance based pay raise. (welcome to the real world.)

Have a day all.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 05:14 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin All.

Sandy,hope your pain goes away soon...

Mike, hopefully they did not get anymore dogs....some people just should not be able to keep animals!

Clint, my Dad kept everything too. I got to the point of no where to put it, or I simply did not want anything and gave it away. If that did not work, off to the dump it went. Of course I kept all the tools . Half my buildings are still full of their stuff. No idea what to do with it...want some?
I do not get the teachers? The ones up here are out because of class size and being paid for preparation time as far as I can figure I would be rich if somebody paid me for prep time how do you apply performance based pay to teaching?

This car I boyghtfor my wife had 315 35 20 on the rear. Got a price of 400 each to replace...NOT....putting normal ones back on.Anybody need pimping rims that came off a BMW X5?...ummmm wonder if they will fit a Cutlass?

Have a Day All
Old April 22nd, 2015, 05:41 AM

Mawn'in all

Beautimus day down ere.

You guys shouldn't complain about teachers. Atlanta's got de most FUBAR school system in de world

http://www.wsbtv.com/s/news/local/cheating-scandal/

I mean whose bright idear was it to pay teachers more based on student performance. It's like setting up trouble.

When My dad passed in 2000, I threww away 1952 all the way forward] tax returns

Sandy, Hope ya mend quickly IMHO CO is better therapy dan FB

Happy HUmp'in Olds friends
Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning everyone

AnUtter beautiful day shaping up. Showers later so some fertilizer on the lawns will help green it up quicker. Gotta do the flower bed too.

Jim, Sounds purty bad. I noticed that all the indictments are likely also gonna rile all de Afro Americans who are protesting police issues? Cheating deserves what it gets. Looks like y'all gettin mo rain but nice n warm.

Ted, our teachers went through the strike issues recently and got their demands met for the next 4-5 years I think. Class sizes were an issue because we have overcrowding in schools. I don't agree they should get "prep time" any more than I believe an employer should pay a body to shower,dress and drive to work. They know damn well that there's time not accounted for in the curiculum and they're VERY WELL PAID for the job. Greedy bast ages are not in it for the kids success, they're in it for greed.

Clint, how small? Looks like good size property from some of the pics I see. I get what you say about the hoarding.

John, enjoy the ride on de day of humps. Hope your inside moving stuff is done.

Enjoy your day.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:47 AM
CQR

Allan 892 Square feet not including the garage. But we are on .42 acre lot.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Smaller can have its advantages. That's not a terrible size, our first place wasn't much bigger. Do you get taxed on the lot separate from the house? Up here it's all combined and based on year built and upgrades. BTW they tax the hell out of us. Almost as bad as PA but not quite. Services returned by the city don't match the amount they grab. I would love .4 acres to put my house on but lot price for that here would run close to 500 large or more.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:15 AM
CQR

Property is taxed on appraised value. they have formulas for buildings decks, bare land etc. We don't want to go bigger. But we also don't have a bunch of room for 'stuff'.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:00 AM
Captain Starfire

Humpin' to please--

Mornin' (barely!), all. (If ur in da' East zone, no longer mornin'.) Made a Wally World & haircut run already today. Got ingredients for better half's lasagna, which she's promised to make tomorrow Yum yum.

Originally Posted by slantflat
John I think the rule of thumb is if you haven't used something in a year, get rid of it. Hm. My house would be empty. However, everything is essential.
Good one, Mike! I have stuff here from before Katrina that I have not looked at since it went in the bin in Gentilly.

Originally Posted by CQR
John we have a real small house and it's pretty much at max density, but now that dad (Father pack rat of eternity) wants to whittle down his empire, I have no place for a lot of what he wants to hand out.
Clint, part of my packrattiness is genetic. My Mom was queen of the "savers," and my Dad's Dad, whom we grew up next door to, never threw away a thing in his life. So I come by it honestly -- it's in the genes. But the other part of my current dilemma is that I wound up with a whole bunch more stuff when we sold my parents' home last year. I have stuff here that could take up an entire room, is of no monetary value whatsoever, but I can't just throw away because of a combo of sentimental value and just plain respect. But I'm going to have to do something.

Dad had some pretty neat WWII memorabilia, some of which I donated to the WWII Museum in N.O. But other things they plain didn't want -- e.g., his two big scrapbooks. I can't just throw 'em away. He also had big collections of booze bottles and phonograph records (mostly 78 rpm's). I'm trying to figure out what to do with those. My crystal ball says I'll be giving them away soon.

Anyhoots, it's slow going, but I'm going through everything as part of this purge. At least moving bookcases up & down the staircase is finished for now. The lower staircase here is a killer. It has a sharp 180*, and railings that complicate things. When we moved in, we had to take down the railings to get the furniture up. Hoping not to have to repeat that....

Sandy, sorry about the pain. I hope things get better soon! Hang in there... still in our prayers. We'll sit tight until all's well, your debt is paid, and Larry has work out the wazoo.

Whelpt, y'all have a happy humpy, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 22nd, 2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 03:06 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice day for sleeping. Sunny, not too hot, not raining. Should feel pretty alert at work tonight.

John how funny. I used to see trucks on the highway that said, Humpin' to please. I think it was Monfort of Colorado. Haven't seen one in years.

I, too, am the recipient of anything my family doesn't want. All the time I was growing up, and even now, my Mom would say, why don't you get rid of that. Why do you have to keep everything. Well, every time she moves I get truckloads of stuff that she doesn't want to throw away, but "doesn't have room for." Well, guess what. So now my house is crammed with her stuff that she doesn't want back, but won't hear of me getting rid of. She even pays to store two garages full at the local storage place. Pretty soon I'm going to need the space her stuff is taking up, so it may unceremoniously get given away, tossed, sold, whatever.

Night Two. Last night wasn't too bad, it lingered, though. We had a plane that we've only had a couple weeks and it has problems with its Heads Up Guidance System. Obviously a factory screw up. The company doesn't want to send it back because it will take weeks for the factory to fix it, and it only makes autoland easier for the pilots, it isn't needed for safe operation of the airplane. So some factory reps came out and messed around all night, and we had finished our work so we were pretty much babysitting. Makes for a long night not doing anything. Eh, better than changing an engine or a flap or the gear, etc. We did change one tire, that was a thrill.

Okay time to hit it. Have a good night everyone. We're half way there.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 03:44 PM
Captain Starfire

Mike, that was Campbell 66 Express -- big trucking company -- at least down here. (Play on words w/ the Camel ). They were everywhere in the 60s & 70s. Not sure what became of them. Found a little FB page on them.

Newsflash: Just got all the latest speed and engine-swapping secrets for my car! Can't wait to hop 'er up~!

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; April 22nd, 2015 at 03:50 PM.