The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2015, 06:39 PM
Always room for one more

Dan that website doesn't come up for me. If I had to guess, I'd say the words on the side of the car were the name of a Holden model in Australia. The pictures I have list the car as Holden-Oldsmobile. The prospect of multiple line Corvairs didn't go very far.

No surprise there was no cruise at Summit. But since I was out I stopped at Jimmy John's and also Krispy Kreme. Ambrosia. Nice night out now, if not a little humid.

Think I'll hit the sack early. I must have slept wrong and woke up with a headache, and it just won't go away. So I'm declaring tomorrow, No Headache Tuesday.
Old June 1st, 2015, 06:57 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, if you send them to my home email I can try using my photo editor on them. It might work or it might not. Worth a shot though.
Old June 1st, 2015, 08:19 PM
Always room for one more

Okay Allan look for them.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 03:58 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike hope you rose with a clear bean.

Nice morning out. Seems like the birds are back fully after the west nile massacre. Its still dark but louder than all get out.

Slept wrong and my back is not happy got some stretching to do.

Have a Tuesday all.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 04:11 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Thanks Clint. My headache went away just as soon as I went to the store to get some Tylenol. Hope your back stretches out.

Foggy out this morning. I've heard two conflicting reports, no rain and rain. Plenty to do outside, so I vote for no rain.

Awful house then errands then back home. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 04:51 AM

Mawn'in all

Rain las nite an spoe to rain again dis afternoon

Mike, Hope de pups are OK

De dude[s] wwhich was gonna mess wit my oaks sent anutter plan to de city dat the rejected. They [de developer] can do nutt'in til dis issue is resolved. Can't figger out why it's taken soooooooooo long. Gotta be expesnive carrying cost doing nutt'in.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:23 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all...

"Mug-guy" (dat means muggy) in da' deep, deep south... Back at the Plantation, and it's good to be home. Cracker Barrel in Greenville, MS, was without power when we went to stop for lunch yesterday, so we "snacked" it on the way home instead of stopping for our usual repast. Ate some Mexican (food, that is) when we got back to Ponchatoula.

Clint, sounds like you need the help of a good massage therapist. Mike, glad the Tylenol did the trick. Arm seems to be really improving, thank goodness. I have to take the pills for 3 more weeks, and I'll keep doing the exercises at least 2-3 X/wk for now. I was doing them every day for the first week, but life rears its ugly head.

Whelpt, y'all have a great day, Oldsmofriends. Hope the rain holds out, Mike.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:54 AM
GM Enthusiast

Morning all. Cold one here, only going to be 55 today with rain. Haven't had much rain the last two months but we're making up for it yesterday and today.

Sammy - yes the Riv has been on the road. I put the bumper back support on the car and have been driving it around without the chrome. Unfortunately though I maybe selling it soon. After I've finished all the work on it, figures right?

Anyway have a great day all.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 09:39 AM

Thanks fer de Oldsvair pics Mike, Now I wanta drop top one
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:14 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin

Idiots in the condos last night were hooting and hollering at 01:00 this mawnin and woke me up. Busy ditches running around yelling their fool heads off. Next time it's a call to the cops for a noise complaint.

Couldn't get back to sleep after that. I hate when that happens so I watched a few TV shows I PVR'd. Finally dropped off around 3:45. Then it started raining about 4:20 but that put me right back to sleep. Somehow the sound of rain is soothing to me.

WTH??? Just got back from taking de boy to werk. Gas shot up here close to .45/Imp gallon overnight. That's sick. You would be paying 4.04/US gallon if you lived here. We pay 4.85/Imp gallon. Anyone know why, other than 'because'???

Jim - glad to hear the developer is stalled in his tracks. Keep up de good werk.

Darrell - why?? Sell the new DD you bought instead?

Clint - I hate it when that happens. Stretching works to some extent but I also use Robaxacet (generic from Costco). It works.

Originally Posted by slantflat
Okay Allan look for them.
Nuthin in the email Mike. Do you still have it or need a PM with it?

Ok, everything is wet outside so I'll stick inside for a bit more. Cooler right now but warming up to around 70 later.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:06 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo we'll make a Corvair guy out of you yet. In looking over those pictures again I fell like I should reconsider my comment about the Holden name on the side. The Pontiac version got a specific name, the Polaris.

Allan are you still 1000keys? I sent it about 11:15 last night. Maybe it's having trouble clearing customs. You'd probably be better off trying to mess with the picture that Jamesbo posted, it's the clearest shot of any picture I have.

Spent the morning when I got back cutting up scrap wood that was piled up in the basement. Got a good few days worth of firewood out of it for next winter. Now I'm gonna put the battery charger on the Suburban and see if I can get it fired up.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 12:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Allan are you still 1000keys? I sent it about 11:15 last night. Maybe it's having trouble clearing customs. You'd probably be better off trying to mess with the picture that Jamesbo posted, it's the clearest shot of any picture I have.
Nope, never have been. I'll send you a PM.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 01:22 PM

I always like the second generation of the Corvair, thought that they were fairly stylish. When I was a little ***** a neighbor had a wagon, about a '62 or so, but it was parked behind his garage, and never moved the four years that we lived there, 1962-1966, it wasn't old, but grass was growing up around it, that and a '55 or '56 Pontiac, which we played in.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike/Jim
I found that car on a web page called AutoPuzzles.com Scroll down to item 4.

The reference they gave to this particular 'clone' was the f-Eighty Five. I imagine that's what you'll see on the sides instead of the traditional Corvair badging. I know I've seen that stylized f-Eighty Five emblem before. I'll have to dig it out. BTW, did you notice the front of the car is missing a letter in the Oldsmobile letters?

EDIT: YAA! Here you go. It appears the 'clone' in the picture simply had the stylized F taken off the badging

Last edited by Allan R; June 2nd, 2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:50 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Well I'm just as pleased as punch. Finished up the work I wanted on the van. I was right, it wasn't running right. Turns out I had the #5 and #6 wires switched on the cap. After I got them straight it smoothed right out. Also got the speedometer cable and speed sensor put in, and now I have a speedometer. Got the doghouse back on and now it's ready to roll again.

Allan that's good sleuthing. I've seen where people have mentioned that when the "F85" came out that it was a conventional car and not a Corvair. But I don't think I've ever seen it actually called the F85. And it doesn't look to me like that's what it says on the side. Could be, though. Not a bad looking car.

Didn't get the Suburban fired up. I think the battery is kaput. Had it charging a good 4 hours and barely got a click out of it. Then the rain started and I had to clean up. It might be that my charger is kaput instead so I'll grab my neighbor's charger and see how that does.

Cleared up and now it's thundering. Hope it doesn't last. Wouldn't mind doing some mowing tomorrow.

Have a good night everyone.
Old June 2nd, 2015, 07:28 PM

Allan I saw that yesterday while searching, but I believe that they are referring to the production BOP cars that followed in '61, "as well as the more conventionally configured".
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:33 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Darrell that sucks. Why would you want to sell?

Mike, That speed tape thing on FB cracked me up.

Good chance of rain today.

Have a Humpday.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:43 AM

Mawn'in all

Kinda cloudy wit more rain later in de day

Mike, I've always been a Corvair guy jes never owned one. "Unsafe at any speed" shoulda been written about a VW bug not a Corvair. Can't tell ya how many of dem I've seen with flat roofs from roll'in. Wonder what size engine would fit in de Corvair pickup up in de woods near Dalton?

I think about cha every mawn'in whilst I'm watch dat babe Mariska Margitay Dare's always a commercial on Thunder shirts fer Dogs

GTG I'm starved
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:20 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Clint I hear that about the duct tape more than you'd think. Sure it's funny but you get some stupid *** making a big deal about it and it gets everyone upset. I mean honestly, do people -really- think we'd use duct tape on an airplane? Give me a break. It's like the birthday party where they said the plane dumped the lavs on their back yard. People don't know what they are talking about.

Jamesbo Nader went after VW first. They told him to go pound sand. It was the General in their infinite wisdom who tried to discredit Nader, and he said hm, I must be on to something.

Darrell didn't we just go through this? You've sold one car in this decade already there's no need to sell another one.

It's car washing day. The plan is to go get the Cadillac from the shop and clean it up real good, so it can rain on it later. It's still got a thick layer of yellow pollen on it and I need to clean the pine needles out from under the hood. Yick.

Okay Awful house. Have a good hump day everyone.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:47 AM
CQR

Jamesbo. The Sky is the limit.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:50 AM

Clint, Wooooooooooah

Allan, I forgot to ax you. I keep getting thes e-mail where people are selling drugs from Canada cheap. Why are drugs so much cheaper up there?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 07:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all

Ma nature is playin nice today. Gotta cut the grass and then watch it grow back.

Jim, ???? Our drugs cost way more den years do. I tried fitting sum across de border but the U.S. Company said dey wouldn't ship because of border restrictions. Wutchu want? Mebbe Vinnie an de boys can spot ya a small dose.

Clint, nice. Blown suspension and special front ground effects? How's your back?

Mike, only VW I ever owned was a 78 diesel wabbit coupe. Very frugal lil beast. Sold it a year after I bought it for only 500.00 less than I paid at the dealer. Wanna guess who bought it? If you said a pilot, you'd be spot on.

Dat appears to be it fer now.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:13 AM
CQR

Allan Its much better today.

Jamesbo. I order the Missus' advair From Cheapkanadadrugsdotcom. It saves us a bundle. We can get the Generic from UK or India whereas here in the states it's not available.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Clint I tried that link but it doesn't work even after I replaced the dot with a . You sure that's how it's spelled? I wouldn't mind getting a break on some of my meds.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:32 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin/afternoon

Clint, great pic. Glad the back is better

Darrel, nice car....hopefully you will keep it..

Mike, when a Corvair showed up at my house with a hormone laden male to pu one of my sisters, my mother said no way.....

Allan, vacation? Where?...or just from the Puter.....?

Have a day friends
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted - yup.

Mike - I just found out that they haven't sold caliper rebuild kits up here for about 10 years. Too little margin in the market I think. So now they sell the whole caliper. Geez that's stupid. A rebuild kit for 7.00 or a whole caliper for 61. I asked NAPA if they could bring them in and they said 4-6 weeks plus a shipping charge of 25.00 WTH??? I guess I have no choice but to go with a reman caliper. That really sucks.

Oh, I checked O'Reillys and Otterzone. They have em for 7.00 and R.A. has em too for as little as 3.15 $C!! Shipping is 10.25 and will take about 2 weeks or more. Can't win.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:45 PM
Always room for one more

Allan I've always rebuilt my own calipers. Nothing to it. Haven't done it lately so I don't know if I could still get a kit, either. I even rebuilt my master cylinder, because the ones you got at the store didn't have the bleeder ports. Now you can get aftermarket ones with the bleeders. The rebuild kit was 23 and the new master was 25. The parts guy thought I was nuts.

I see that today is Mr. Oldsmobile's birthday. He'd be 151. And since I love trivia, I can tell you Ransom E. was born in Geneva, OH, which is also where Platt Rogers Spencer is from. He's the guy that invented Spencerian script, which is the writing that Coca-Cola is written in.

Ted which one was your Mom saying no to, the hormone-charged young man or the car?

Didn't get squat done today. Got over to the shop this afternoon and then jawed for two hours with a neighbor. Then the car wouldn't start. By the time I got back with cables it was raining. So I got the car started and brought it home, and now I'm sure when I want to start it again it will be dead again. Eh, I'm off all next week so I'll get to it.

Gotta stay up late tonight so I can sleep in tomorrow and go to work tomorrow night. I need to retire so I can stay home every day. Only what, 20 more years and I can do just that.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - I know how easy it is do rebuild calipers, that's not my point. What bugs me is I can't get the kits here but they're all over the place in the US. IDK, if there's only a 2.00 difference between rebuilding a MC, I'd probably go with the new one.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:15 PM
Always room for one more

Allan my point in saying that was that I rebuilt my calipers -as well- but I didn't know if the kits were still available.

A quick search shows that OReillys sells caliper rebuild kits for a 72 Cutlass for 4.99. If this is for the Sonata or the Saturn I'm sure they'd have them, too. Napa doesn't show a full kit, but sells all the parts individually.

Perhaps if the border patrol gets lax in reading everyone's mail a small package could be sent up your way...
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - this is for the Saturn. Here's what's strange. I bought caliper rebuild kits for my 72 three years ago and did the calipers. No problem it seems getting parts for a 40 year old car right? I'm not sure you understood my original point - there is no available stock for Saturn caliper boot seal kits anywhere in Canada. Not even GM stocks them. THAT's what's got me ticked. I can't even buy individual pieces!

But the Saturn is only 18 years old. I know the kits are available for it down in the USA because I googled O'Reilly and Otterzone and they're cheap - 7.00 each. RockAuto has them for 3.15!!! plus the 10.25 shipping of course. I don't want to wait 2 or 3 weeks for RA and 4-6 weeks for NAPA to get them from the US. If NAPA ships them they will charge me 35.00 for shipping which I said is plain stupid. Up here the part (if it was available) would cost 10.00 each kit.

Don't worry aboudit. I'm going to pull the calipers tomorrow and take them in for cores. Ready for this? A core caliper at NAPA here is 52.00!! The new caliper lists for 91.00 but I'm using my corporate discount to get that down to 61.00 The rotors will cost 39.00 without discount, 28 with discount.

I'm telling ya, this Saturn EATS rotors. The last set was a NAPA premium and they only lasted 14K km (or almost 9000 miles). The pads have only seen 9k miles so I'm going to re-use them.

Plan is to replace the front struts (ready built Monroe on a 2 for 1 sale a few years back), front brake hoses, rotors, calipers, fuel filter, rad hoses, trans filter and fluid, and new coolant. Leaving the Tstat alone because it's working fine. This will be my sons dd till he earns enough money to buy the car he really wants. In the meantime its not worth much money and the maintenance items I'm doing aren't that expensive for his safety. The only stuff I don't have right now is the rotors and calipers. Everything else is on the shelf waiting to go.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:45 PM
Always room for one more

Weird. I put 77000 miles on my car and never touched the calipers. And I'm not the easiest person on brakes. I did replace the rotors 30000 miles ago because they started pulsing.

Funny how some cars will just go through certain parts. My 70 Cutlass would go through front brake flex hoses every couple of years. My S10 would blow out both headlights every year. The left one in March and the right one in November. Without fail.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:49 PM
Just an Olds Guy

How many ft/lbs do you torque your front wheels to? Manual says to go 103 but I don't like that so I only go to around 85
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:56 PM
Always room for one more

Just snug. Of course that's my snug. When I'd take it to have the tires rotated the tire shop would use a torque wrench, I believe they went to 100.
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:21 AM

Mawn'in all

Whar's Clint? Must be look'in fer a new cherry picker after his ole one broke pulling dat engine

How 'bout a little Colorado humor
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:31 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Sorry I's late. The missus had to be in Yampa this mornin early, So I got up, fed the mules then decided to take a siesta on the couch. Then the kid got up to go do the wifes chores so I still had to get up and make lunches.

Thats funny Jamesbo. Could be a Oregon thing too.

Have a Thursday.
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

Late? Yeah 5:30 is really late Clint....wutchu thinkin?

Funny one Jim.

Cloudy but nice here. Possible rain later. Yard is looking really good. Koffeetime.
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

A+ day out. Only about 80, sunny, not too humid. Slept until about 1pm and lollygagged all afternoon. Now I'm ready for work.

Not much going on. One more day for the normal people. Have a good night everyone.
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike - that Saturn is a beach to work on. The front brake nuts were really badly frozen and so was the strut. Finally got them undone and off. Tomorrow I'll get the replacement calipers and do the rest of the front end work. Since I'm replacing the brake lines I have them clamped shut for now.

When I took off the calipers I was shocked that the brake pads were rusted in place! They wouldn't move with any force at all. I looked at the hardware that holds the pads and they were rusted solid too! Finally I broke them loose with a hammer. It's amazing this car could stop at all. I'm beginning to think that the majority of the braking has been done by the back brakes for the last bit. If I bermember I'll get some pics for ya if you're interested.

Verified that the oil leak is not from the oil pressure switch. It's definitely coming from up around either the VC or head gasket at the back of the 1 cylinder.

I don't know if this qualifies as normal.

Clint - you sir have my respect for the work you do. I'm finding it challenging but it's getting done. LOL you'd lose money if I was your employee. I take too long to git r done.
Old June 5th, 2015, 04:12 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good night at work. Got home a little early, sun's out and it's going to be a nice day. Hope I don't see too much of it. So the pressure is off, Monday is over.

Sure Allan send me some pictures. I replaced front pads on my car a couple years ago. Nice and clean and easy to work with. Of course this car came from California so no salt on anything.

Question for the masses. Does the 307 normally turn over slowly when you're starting? The Cadillac spins painfully slow, even with a fully charged battery. The 86 Cutlass I had for a short time a couple years ago turned over slow. Any reason for this? Can I make it turn faster?

Time for bed. Have a good day everyone.
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:16 AM

Mawn'in all

Spsoe to be nice one today, I wish I didn't have to call on hospices an could go play golf but a fellas gotta do what a fellas gotta do

Allan, I chuckled at de past tents remark on FB but I don't know a dangling participle from a misplaced modifier so Grammar ain't my long suite

Mike, Sorry I ain't got de foggiest Clint's de man. and yeah, I too would be better off flippin burgers by de hour dan turn'in wrenches

Have a great day Olds friends