The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2015, 10:25 AM

Mike, No I jes above Alpharetta

Scot, Good ta see ya friend
Old June 13th, 2015, 10:41 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Hey Jamesbo It's too hot to pull weeds now. Jest get a harrow and try to save what you can
Old June 13th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Always room for one more

Howdy Scot. Hope you got your aunt's AC fixed:-)

Another question. Are all Turbo 400 transmissions the same length? Does anyone know what bolt pattern a Jeep's 400 would be?

Got the car extracted from the mud. Wondered why it was so stubborn and hard to steer also, walked around the car and saw the right front tire was flat. Now that the hot sun is beating down on the driveway, I'm ready to wash it.

Break is over.
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:19 PM

Scot, Ya right 'bout dat. I jes hoed 'round my squash, taters an okrie.Tomorrow if I get motivated, I'll pull de cord on my Troybuilt and get betwix de rows
Old June 13th, 2015, 12:49 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Hey Mike Yeah she opted to go ahead and get a new one. I installed it last week. Honestly don't know on the TH400, I *think* there are variants

I hear ya Jamesbo, I didn't plant anything this year but a hibiscus and two citronella's. And now I read the hibiscus don't like weather below 50* F
Old June 13th, 2015, 03:04 PM

Just got back from a small car show up in Whitehall, Mi. 20 miles north of me (the town that I work in). The "Back to The Bricks Tour" to promote their August show in Flint came through and had a gathering, about 75 cars, so even in my "gimp mode" I was able to get through it ok with my buddy. My bud picked me up in his fairly new Sonata Limited, black with a black leather interior, a very nice car. Time to fire up the grill for brats.
Old June 13th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
My bud picked me up in his fairly new Sonata Limited, black with a black leather interior, a very nice car.
Dan, yer preacher to de choir! I love my Sonata Limited. It's gold with a tan leather interior and loaded with options. Plenty of power and fun to drive BTW, 91 meelyun now.
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:41 AM

GTG get hoeing before de sun starts beat'in down on my bald'in head
Old June 14th, 2015, 05:45 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got to bed early and was still tired when I [got] woke up this morning. Eh, I'll come around. Nice day out, gonna be hot.

Got the convertible washed yesterday. Again, I didn't do a terrific job but it is an improvement. Next time around I'll have more time to give it some detail.

Got a whole day of mowing ahead of me. Jamesbo wear a hat.

Quick trip to the Awful house. Have a good day everyone.
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all

Stunning beautiful day here starting out. Bit cool bit ok.

Jim, you sure up early on de sabbath. So now yer a ho ho ho it's off to de patch I go type o guy? Watch out fer slidin critters.

Mike, now I have to find out the source of some front end noise on the right side of the Saturn. Hope it's something easy like tie rods.

Tomorrow the central AC gets installed! Yay!
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:23 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Sunday Mawnin All

Dan that sounds way cool and a decent turnout. Hope you heal up soon.

Yup Mike is right Jim, wear a hat...

Sounds good Al. What brand A/C did you choose?
Old June 14th, 2015, 10:36 AM

Got one
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Captain Starfire

Good day, gang. Had one shower, and it appears more on da' way. Elsie's fat & sassy down here lately... Grass going & growing berserk again.

Scot, good to see your name on posts again! Welcome back home, friend. Not sure you were gone as long as Adrian, so not quite up to "Lazarus" status....

Glad to hear you guys are "hat" guys outside... I'm always in disbelief when folks are out there in the beating sun with bare (and sometimes bald) noggins.... Since I did the Telly Savalas thing a couple weeks back (it's grown back a bit since then), I really ain't got no protection atol. Me needs da' hat.

Jamesbo, we bought some okrie at the veggie market yesterday... can't wait to tear into 'em. Creole tomatoes are in season now, as well, and we've been slicing and slurping like crazy. Also bought some gorgeous artichokes at Sam's and I'm contemplating stuffin' 'em tonite.

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Just got back from a small car show up in Whitehall, Mi. 20 miles north of me (the town that I work in). The "Back to The Bricks Tour" to promote their August show in Flint came through and had a gathering, about 75 cars, so even in my "gimp mode" I was able to get through it ok with my buddy. Time to fire up the grill for brats.
Dan, hope you enjoyed da' brats... I miss those cherry brats we used to get in Traverse City every summer around Cherry Festival. BTW, I'll be at St. Ignace next weekend (already). Don't know which of Gene's tanks I'll be steering across the Macinaw Bridge, but I have a plug in for his' '63 Galaxie Coupe that he bought new. We will caravan in 4 of Gene's antiques from Bellaire to Macinaw City, then we'll participate in the BIG (Antiques on the Bay) caravan Friday afternoon -- should be near 100 antiques parading across in a long line across the bridge. The car show in St. Ignace is Saturday. Will be my first time in the U.P. Wish I had a week or two to play around up there, but it will basically be a whirlwind tour.

Whelpt, let me get to this foot-deep pile of papers on my desk that just seem to appear out of thin air.

Y'all have a great day of the Sun, Olds friends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 14th, 2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

I've been a mowin' foo'. Had to replace a bolt in the mower deck and then off I went. This thing is a goat. Goes through anything. After I'm done with the mowing I'm gonna chop up some more tree stuff that's been lingering since October. I fill gallon jugs with water and freeze them solid, then take one out with me. I'm amazed at how quick they melt but it's nice having cold water when I'm out in the hot sun.

John sounds like a fun weekend coming up. Hope there's someplace nice to take the Better Half.

Okay break is over. How's the hoe-in' goin' Jamesbo?
Old June 14th, 2015, 12:22 PM

John, hopefully the rumblings are false, but if Homecoming doesn't return in the future, then I may have to make a day trip up to St. Ignace in it's place.
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Captain Starfire

Mike, this trip is solo... somebody's gotta' stay home and kitty-sit . She was ambivalent about it anyway, so no biggie. I just don't know how many more years I'll be going up to see Gene - he turned 87 in April and they're now screwing new parts on him like he's an old Pontiac.

Strangely enough, Dan, this may be the last year for Antiques on the Bay. The sponsor is throwing in the towel and nobody as of yet has stepped up to the plate to continue it. The big St. Ignace meet is the following week (40th Annual St. Ignace Car Show Weekend); but this is mostly for Rods & Customs, which is cool (and huge!); but my tastes run more toward the AACA events. Shame... hope somebody comes to the rescue.
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:04 PM

Well, the 10+ hour day at the car show today is now over! Year 5 for a local all-GM show and still going strong. There have been Ford only and Mopar only shows since I was a kid, but it took this long to have a GM only show.

I was on the parking crew, helping car owners find spots and to put some specific cars in certain areas. The head parking guy decided to make this year's feature Pontiac. They got to park inside the dealership showroom and on the raised area out front.

A few of the rare cars there were a '66 or '67 Pontiac Sprint 6. At idle, I never would have guessed it wasn't a V8 from the exhaust note. Another nice one was an early 70's Acadian SS. Easy to mistake for a Nova SS or even think someone just put SS badges on an Acadian.

Looks like a rainy week ahead, but I guess that is better than during the weekend?

John, hope someone takes over that show. Always sad to lose a good show.

Dan, what is this about Homecoming not returning? First I've read about that! I really enjoyed the Homecoming the one year I went and would like to attend again in the future. Hopefully it will go on one more year.

Have a great week everyone!
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:20 PM

Dan, what is this about Homecoming not returning?
it's on another thread, someone who used to be involved with it, and still is in a minor role, brought it up, four guys are retiring from it, and they have been denied to hold it in the current location next year, they are trying to find a new home, so far no luck..

I was informed by the board that I used to work with and still do in a very minor role. That this maybe the last one! The committee has been informed by the state of Michigan that both sites may or may not be available in the future?

And to top it all off that half of the committee are retiring after 2015 and 4 of them have been doing this for 2 decades.

We including myself have been trying to come up with another site. We have been turned down by GM and others.

FYI this could be the last show.

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 14th, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:29 AM

Morning all,
Haven't reported in from London for a while, its cloudy and not very nice over this weekend. Last weekend went to Brands Hatch race track to watch a Euro NASCAR event along with a US classic car show. Over 1000 classics on show, mostly Mustangs but a few nice Olds, mine was the only 68 Cutlass and the only soft top Cutlass.
Just as I got home the high pressure hose from the power steering decided to have a complete failure and burst hot steering oil all over my nice clean engine bay.

looks like Im going to be busy..
Old June 15th, 2015, 03:42 AM
CQR

Mornin all,

Allan, I went to Woodland park and bought one. Older model but less hours on it. She had a chipper(a small one that she gave to us.) It will do 3" limbs and works well for its size. She wanted something bigger and easier on her. And she needs some expenses on that company. It's an '02 BC625A Vermeer. Looks like this http://www.sunrentalcolville.com/itemimages/5993.jpg

Adrian, Nice link. I like the Silver XB GT That sure would turn some heads around here. They seem to be pretty pricey. Are there areas of Oz that you don't want to buy cars from due to rust, like here in the states?

Hope everyone has a good start to the week.
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:05 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot as a 2 dollar pistol

*****'in went fine Mike

Tis Monday so guess what

Ya'll stay tuned when I get back from golf I gotta tell ya a story 'bout de Super models compassion. [note NOT passion]
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:13 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Monday Mawnin All

Thanks for the warm welcome John

Got a bit of the wet stuff last night, guess it will be hot and a tad more humid today I'll take the heat over being frozen any day

Gotta go replace a capacitor on an A/C today. Didn't have the right one so I stacked what I did have in a series to get them going until I can get the right part.

As Clint would say... Have a Monday all
Old June 15th, 2015, 04:51 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Another nice day which I appreciate. Got most of the mowing done yesterday. Shut the mower down for a minute to regroup and couldn't get it started again. I was tired so I said the heck with it.

Well London that sounds like a mess. When you get a new hose be sure to get the correct color stripes on it.

My birthday is next week so guess what. Time to go to the tag office. I get off fairly light this year, only about 300 bucks. It will take an afternoon to get all the stickers put on the plates. I have to take the plates off and clean them and then get the stickers laser straight.

This afternoon I'm taking the Mustang for its oil change. Paul this car doesn't get driven much because the places I go are notorious for door dings.

Tonight will be the first night this goround that I can go to the Summit cruise in. Sure it's the same cars week after week, but it's a car show nonetheless and there's nothing wrong with that.

Well time to hit the Awful house and get this day going. Have a good day everyone.
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin y'all

AC guys will be here in about 2 hours. For the next little while the weather will be ideal so no need for AC, but I know it'll get hot and it will be needed and very much appreciated. The missus isn't really on board with it, but I don't really care. I'm not gonna suffer anymore through summer heat.

Jim, wut? Dis is gonna be good?

Mike, why would you spend that kind of time on a tag when you don't spend it on washing and detailing?

London, ILT makes a proper fit and look replacement pressure line for around 60 plus the ride.

Clint, cool. Vermeer makes quite a lineup of special equipment including horizontal drill rigs. Same color too. How'd the 450 rebuild go?

Scot, sup brother? You work in full time now on AC? How's Louise doing, you done anything with her lately?

Adrian, sure Hope you're getting lots of pics and vids of the kids while they're still small. They'll grow so fast it makes a body wonder where the time went.

Well it's Monday so you know what that means.....
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:54 AM

Greetings guys, I don't visit here often but I haven't noticed Sandy posting on the other forums. Has she quit showing her car or is she having health problems again.I'm just curious, it was always fun to see the woman side of this hobby...The best to all....Tedd
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Tedd. Health problems (cancer). I don't know more than that. Nice to see ya here, maybe consider joking the group? Your wife's car get fixed ok from that deer hit a while back?
Old June 15th, 2015, 07:46 AM

So sorry to hear that, I hope the best for her.

Yep we got the car back and you can't tell it was ever in a collision with a deer.It did about $2500 in damage but all but $500 was covered by insurance. All is good.The shop that did the work on my Old's did this work and they are the best around our area.

As a side note our rental car was a Jeep suv with a 6 speed transmission and in the mountains it had no guts at all. You had to keep it wound tight or it would hold up traffic. It could have been a 4 banger I never looked but I know I won't be looking for one on my next car purchase.... Tedd
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yup. Da made on theses new cars doesn't involve the metal skills of the old day. It's pretty much replacement parts and paint for the repairs. My Sonata got hit by a box spring that flew off an unsecured load on the hiway. Over 5000.00 damage. That was a year ago and the body shop I dealt with just finally put the last of the warranty repairs on the car. Absolutely the worst Body shop I've ever dealt with.

Glad to hear your experience was fantastic. You musta got a jeep with a 4 banger and tall gears for your rental.
Old June 15th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Always room for one more

Well Allan since you put it that way, the stickers are a must, and it would take longer than one afternoon to clean all my cars to my liking. Besides that I was exaggerating a little.

So at the tag office, the woman wouldn't put through the registration for the deuce. It seems the new thing the State is doing, and didn't bother to tell anyone, anything that is a truck or remotely could be construed as an SUV has to have the GVWR listed. I said I'd have to go find it. Then she said she can't put through the Dodge van or the blue van. I said they are passenger cars. She says no they are built on truck frames. I said no they are not. They are unit construction because THEY ARE PASSENGER CARS. Sorry. Oddly enough she registered the Suburban with no trouble at all. Because it's titled as a station wagon. So much for uniformity.

Gonna go take the Mustang now. They use Motorcraft 5W20 semi-synthetic oil. I like that stuff. When I had that Lincoln I used it and the engine ran way better than with whatever the station-dujour would use when my Mom had it.

Hi Tedd stick around.

Okay see ya.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:42 AM

Saturday after we ate lunch, We were driving thru this shopping center parking lot an we hear this noise. I see a roofing tar trailer an think its the propane. De Super model slams on the brakes and runs over to this car that has the engine running wide open[ that was the noise]This guy is passed out and has his foot on the accelerator. These roofing guys come over and everyone is banging on the car trying to wake this guy up. I tried de door and it was unlocked and opened right up.

When this roofer looks in a says" Blood" next thing he does is pick up a needle. [That's my clue to call 911 while de dude starts turning blue] De Super model is SCREAMING AT these poor roofers to get this guy out the car] They haul himout and lay him on a grass island in the parking lot and everyone is bangin on his chest trying to get him to come back [except me cause I answering 50 question to the 911 operator. Like how much he weighs and what color car he's in]

So there's me answering stupid questions to the 911 lady and my wife screaming "Don't you die on me" and these roofers act'in like CPR was sum'in de learned in Mexico.

Long story short, the police/fire/EMT show up jes as this guy is coming around back to life an kinda yawn and go into slow motion like he looks Ok to me.

Zo, I've had about enough drama fer de day and go home. Funny thing is his car is still there de next day. So, I have no idea if he called mommy or they took him off to jail. I would thunk they would have impounded his car if they took him to jail.

De Super model probably saved his life giving directions [she's good at that] IMHO he overdoes and was quickly on his way to being one of my customers.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:51 AM

Congrats to everyone on saving that guys life.
Old June 15th, 2015, 12:00 PM

Mike, I feel fer ya at de tag office. The one in Roswell had one nice lady in de mix of arrogant morons. If I went in and didn't see her, I did and about face and left.
Old June 15th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Always room for one more

Wow Jamesbo that's an incredible story. Good on you guys.

I wonder if I would have gone in there Saturday morning and of course couldn't come back until Monday, if they would have gigged me with the late fee, since that's information I wasn't told I needed. Ya probably. I'm guessing that next year I'll see a surtax on these vehicles due to "excessive road usage" or some such thing. They are big so they must cost the State more somehow.
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
My birthday is next week so guess what. Time to go to the tag office. I get off fairly light this year, only about 300 bucks. It will take an afternoon
Ok, this is something new to me. Your tag registration is tied to your BD??? Up here it's tied to the first letter of your last name. Easier to control knowing how many people in the data base have that initial and then they 'group' some of the higher occurrence letters like Z, G, I, and O.

It takes you a half day?? Holy samolians I'm glad I don't live there. Takes me all of 15 minutes at the registry here on a busy day. On a good day it's less than 5 minutes. Walk in, show de car is insured, pay de woman, collect de tag thingy and out de door. 84.95 per car, SUV or truck. period. easy peasy. Same thing with a new DL. No longer than 10 minutes but a bit more money. They issue a temp DL and the permanent comes in the mail about 4 days later.

Tag Stickers are piled on the last one on the plate. I have a stack of em about 5 deep on each side and I don't care if it's laser straight or not as long as it's on there.
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:27 PM

Same here in Michigan, by the birthday, Allan.
Old June 15th, 2015, 02:53 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Mike, I feel fer ya at de tag office. The one in Roswell had one nice lady in de mix of arrogant morons. If I went in and didn't see her, I did and about face and left.
Sorry, explain to me like I'm from the other side of the planet but what are these tags for?
Old June 15th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Always room for one more

London they are called tags here in Georgia, they are the license plates, or registration plates. We only get new actual plates every few years, but get a sticker for the corner of the plate every year. Tax on the vehicle basically.

I lucked out today and didn't spend all day at the tag office. We'll see how I do tomorrow. Arrogant morons is right. Ask a question or give your -constructive- opinion and they get offended, like it was their idea. Or ask a question and they say I don't know. I told the little girl today, you're the front line person it's your job to know. She just looked at me.

Allan the registration actually expires on the birthday here. So even though the sticker only says Jun/15, which one might believe means the last day of June, mine actually expire at midnight on the 21st. Don't get me started on the drivers license.

Okay off to Summit for the Monday night cruise in.
Old June 15th, 2015, 06:54 PM
Always room for one more

Wow what a great time at Summit. The place was packed, the whole lot was filled with cars, and there was live music. Fifties looking band but they played pretty much everything. Really good. Even saw a couple people I know.

One Oldsmobile. I initially thought it was a 68 Cutlass as I walked past the front of it. But then I went past the back and it had a 69 back end. The whole car was pretty raggity. But still cool.

Not bad for the first show of the season for me.
Old June 15th, 2015, 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=slantflat;830761]London they are called tags here in Georgia, they are the license plates, or registration plates. We only get new actual plates every few years, but get a sticker for the corner of the plate every year. Tax on the vehicle basically.

Ok, its starting to make sense now, the stickers are for the tax you pay, a bit like our road fund license (free to all cars in the UK built before 1975) but what I dont get is getting new registration plates. Are your plates tied to the car or to the person?
Its interesting the way different countries do things differently.
Old June 16th, 2015, 12:01 AM

We don't get license plates every year, just a sticker that goes on one corner, in Michigan they are a different color every year, that way a cop can quickly see that you are legal. We get a new paper registration every year also, that along with proof of insurance, you keep in your wallet or car. Generally you transfer to your next car when you buy it, but In Michigan, you can sell it with the car or you can keep it. I believe that in California, the plate stays with the car. The stickers were introduced about 30 years ago here as a way of saving money, before then, they would issue a new plate every year, a different color for the same reason, and back then the year was embossed just like the plate #'s and letters. We have a ton of special plates to chose from, like veterans of any war, college that you may have graduated from, or lighthouses. These cost more along with "vanity" plates, but the extra fees generally go to support various causes. Go here to check out what choices I have: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...595---,00.html

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 16th, 2015 at 12:09 AM.