The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2015, 04:47 AM

Mawn'in

Kinda cool dis mawn'in in de mountains

Mike, I'd love to come see your stable. Jes how many batteries ya got?
Old June 28th, 2015, 04:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Absolutely glorious out. And gonna be cooler and no rain today. Well, I'll believe the no rain part when I see it.

Think I'll buy a battery charger today. I'm tired of running over to my neighbor's house to get his. My little one has gone tango uniform so I'll get one of those big roll around ones. When I'm not using it I'll keep it in the living room next to the air compressor.

I texted a buddy of mine and asked him about the wagon. He said the rectifier in the alternator could be bad causing it to charge uncontrollably. I thought the alternator was designed to charge at 18 volts all the time, and that was the reason for the regulator, to regulate it down to 13 volts. Can someone school me on this? Also I read(and then couldn't find it again) that the alternator needs battery voltage to start charging, and if the battery is bad the alternator won't charge at all. Ug I'm so confused.

Hope the ground dries out today so I can mow. There are some parts in the yard the grass is taller than the dogs. Well, some of it is grass, some of it is I don't know what. But it's all green.

Okay have a good Sunday everyone.
Old June 28th, 2015, 05:46 AM

Mike, Won'y cha need a ramp to move dat thing in an outta de house?
Old June 28th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo I'm not going to get one -that- big. Although, a ramp might be helpful to get other things in the house.
Old June 28th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin

Hot and clear. Yesterday got up to 95 in our hood. Watered and fertilized this mawnin. Peppers are really liking this heat.

Mike, most peeps use their houses for living and garages for storing stuff like that. You must really love your tools.

Clint, I think I gotta replace the right side ball joint/control arm on the Saturn. No noise on flat n level, but clunky on a rough road. Have to lift the rf and test for play. Seems to be quite a range in prices for that part.

Ted, how's ya doin? You get some of that severe wet that blasted parts of Ontario?
Old June 28th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, hombres

Nondescript day in da' swamp. Rained like crazy during the night. I foresee 2' high grass in a couple weeks. Not quite as furnace-like this mernin' as has been; but still very muggy. I'm guessing more of Elsie this afternoon as things heat up, and it looks like more o'same tomorrow.

Mike, I got a roll-around Schumacher charger at Sams a couple years back and it's been great, and it was the best price around, if my memory serves correct. But I just looked and they don't carry it any more. Now, there's a Die Hard for $99, but I'd definitely do more research before plopping down for it. To me, the "Die Hard" name is just a name Sears cashed in on long, long ago. Kind of like a generic name to me now, unfortunately. I see the Schumacher on Amazon is $233 now; but that's a good price.

Better half made her signature omelet this morning with cheese dripping in every direction. Sure tasted good -- especially liberally topped with Louisiana Hot Sauce. (She doesn't go for that part, however; just me.)

Last nite we met a couple friends (my old H.S. buddy who has the Triumph Stag + his S.O.) ate at a relatively new sushi place called Mr. Joe's in Ponchatoula. Was pretty good... will prolly go back eventually. For dessert, we scooted over to Eddie's Frozen Custard in Hammond. That was as good as usual.

Anyhoots, I miss having to say "y muchacha(s)" when I say "Hola"; but for the time being, I guess this is how it will be.

Y'all have a great day of the Sun, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 28th, 2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin

Allan, imma doin well. Yup, we get a whack of rain last night and still comin down this AM. ...and a balmy 65F. I have to drain the pool yet again

Weird ain't it.....California is bringing its desalinization plant back and we are drowning...

My son goes for his license on Friday...and yours goes on Wed?. It will be a happy moment, but here is to worrying every time he gets behind the wheel

Get back to work on your car Allan! I see a trip to the Island in the very near future and I will be expecting a ride

Have a day friends
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted, he has Tues/Wed off next week and I just realized that Wed is Canada Day. I don't think licensing will be open then. Not like the old days when you could just go to the MOT and get your license within the hour.

No promises on the Cutlass but I'm hopeful. Remember it doesn't have a 455. I doubt it will be much different than your 70 CS.

We're still hoping to see some moisture here Monday and Tuesday. I don't believe the weather peeps so I'm still racking up big water bills.....
Old June 28th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Always room for one more

A little late for break time but the dogs don't care when they get a treat. Hey, late break is long break.

Went over to the shop to get the Jeep off the trailer, and I messed around there for a little while. Then went to get some bead board and some trim.

When I was leaving the shop a nice woman stopped by, she was the widow of the man who owned my property originally. I was glad to meet her. She was as old as Methuselah. She was glad the property went to another Delta person and asked of me only that I enjoy it.

Allan my whole house has car parts and tools all over it. I've had a big roll around toolbox in my living room in every place I've lived since moving on my own. My plan is to get the Amphicar inside the house, where I can take my time and methodically take it apart piece by piece.

Jamesbo I don't know how many batteries I have but it isn't enough. We are on a battery-share program here.

Haven't looked at chargers yet. I might wait until my next weekend, since I won't be using it this weekend anyway. I believe my neighbor's is a Schumacher.

Okay break is over.
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:18 AM

Mawn'in all

Tis Monday so guess what?

Mike, I know your pups can be a hand full but you haven't lived til ya hear a pair of Beagles smell at rabbit on their Sunday Mawn'in walk at 6:30. I wait'in on nasty grams from my neighbors in de mountains

GTG

Sandy, Your in our prayers
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:41 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin

Still raining...I wish I could send some your way Allan.

Mike, is that a Wagoneer? My uncle had one that was fully optioned. Always thought they were cool.

Jim, ....I give up...what?

Clint, TY for the link to Pikes peak...is it an open race?

Rain day, so into the shop to put brakes on my sons Mazda and work on the convertable.

Have a day friends
Old June 29th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin

Heavy cloud an tryin to rain, just not being too successful. Funny how going from 90 to 68 makes it feel coolish when it's not really.

Have fun whackin whitey Jim. Saw a nice Corvair Bert yesterday afternoon. No idea what year though. Black top over yellow lower body. Looked very nice!

Ted, I wish you could send it our way too. Have fun working on the cars.
Old June 29th, 2015, 07:52 AM

Present and accounted for!
Old June 29th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Present and accounted for!
Thank goodness! How's the foot progressing with the healing process? 96 meelyun and counting....
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slept real good this morning. Hope it was long enough so I won't be a zombie at work tonight.

Yes Ted that's a Wagoneer. A 78. I've wanted a Wagoneer for years, figured now's as good a time as any. For now the plan is to get it running right and go through it all to get it road worthy.

Jamesbo there isn't any furniture in the back part of my living room, and when the dogs see something outside they start barking and it just echoes. My neighbors tell me they can hear them barking inside their house.

Don't think I'm going to get much done before work today. It is another nice, cooler day out. Good way to start a Monday I'd say.
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:05 AM

How's the foot progressing with the healing process?
Pretty good, haven't used crutches in two weeks, I went to phys. therapy on Friday for the first time, they were real pleased with the articulation that I have, they measure it in degrees with a protractor, and I had more range of motion than they expected.
Old June 29th, 2015, 01:10 PM

Mike, are cha gonna need a BIG door to get de Amphi inside?
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Jamesbo I have sliding glass doors in the front of the house, that oddly enough look out onto the back wall of the carport. They are 6 feet wide. The Amphicar is 5 feet wide so if I take the glass out of the frame it should fit right through. My only problem is the car will have to go in at an angle, and at 14 feet long the car might not make the angle. I think it will work.

Question for the masses. What's a good generator to get? I was thinking that for now I'd get a portable generator to have at the shop so I could run some lights and a few tools. An air compressor maybe. I see any number of watts and don't want to get one too small, but I don't want to pay a bunch for one if I don't need it. Also, is this something that I should get at the pawn shop? Lord knows there's plenty around me, maybe I could save a few bucks? I don't know I've never been to them.

Dan glad the foot is on the mend. Having had foot trouble in the past, I know firsthand(firstfoot?) that reduced mobility can be troublesome.

No Clint today? Maybe he's the new employee at the store.

Okay headed to work, first of three. Saw where one of our 747 got the hell beat out of it in a hail storm. Radome is toast, damage to the wings. It landed in Seoul without incident, but the uninformed writer of the story said it will be the end for that plane. If it flew in, it will fly out.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Question for the masses. What's a good generator to get? I was thinking that for now I'd get a portable generator to have at the shop so I could run some lights and a few tools. An air compressor maybe.
Onan, Honda, Frontier or Deutz - in that order. If you're considering a pawn shop, also consider looking at rental companies like Hertz who replace their stock regularly. They may have some deals locally or reasonably close by. If you are looking at Frontier units, stay away from the Kohler powered ones. The ones using Kubota power are really reliable.
Old June 30th, 2015, 04:14 AM

Mawn'in all

Nice day wit a chance of rain later

Headed to de big city to take a friend sum maters

Mike, I think I'd like your house decorated by NAPA. I'd like an Amphi in my living room too.

Dan, Glad you're on de mend.

Gett'in old ain't fer sissies.

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 30th, 2015, 04:45 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Not a bad first night back. Got to work with a buddy of mine I rarely see. We took out the fan on a 737 engine and lubed it up. After that we sat around while some other guys ran the heck out of a 777. It had vibe problems and we had to keep changing weights in the spinner.

Jamesbo good luck in the big city. My plan for a house is to build a big metal shop building, like for parking tractors in, and make the inside look like some old time city street. Each storefront would be a different room of the house and I'd park the cars inside on the street.

Okay off to bed. Hope the rain holds off. Have a good Tuesday everyone.
Old June 30th, 2015, 05:06 AM

Mike, Cool kinda like a Winterthur for cars
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Durn it! Guess what I just lost? Maybe try again later
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok let's try This again now that I'm remember me signed in and had a kuppa Joe.

Jim, did whitey fight back?

Mike? I don't get it. What on earth would compel you to build an amphicar in your house? Sure, besides the fact that you could. What would you do with it when it's done or want to move or find a nice purdy supermodel that wants to live in a house instead of a garage?

Clint, the wheel rock test was clunking side to side not up and down. So that means tie rods right? I had to fight with the jamb nut. Penetrating oil, then finally heat before it would give up its death grip on the outer tie rod end. Surprise though. The OTR didn't seem to have much play although the boot is falling apart. The ITR is like new-no wiggle in/out and stiff like new. I'll get the new OTR end this morning and see if it makes a difference. Anything else you might think would cause a clunking noise on rough road? This car is turning into a nightmare and I don't want to just throw parts and money into it that it doesn't need.

Edit: just thought of something. When the cars up on stands does that put load on the lower ball joint and make it harder to diagnose?

Adrian, you check the beard regular for birds nesting

Cool and overcast. Light scattered rain overnight and spoda be more today. Not enough to more than surface water the parched ground but it's better than nothing. Very quiet.

De boys work section ( Kitchen & Bath ) at HD did a whopping 57k in business on Sunday which accounted for 36% of the stores general revenue. It was an unheard of number apparently, especially for this time of year. News filtered down to the staff that the managers have been taking note of the boys energy, customer service and overall performance in a very positive way. I'm very proud of him and told him not to let it go to his head. He gets it.

Last edited by Allan R; June 30th, 2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by sammy

Jim, ....I give up...what?

Come on man, by now everyone knows I play golf every Monday
Old June 30th, 2015, 12:25 PM
CQR

Allan IIRC the sway bar links on that use ball sockets at each end. They are notorious for making noise on little rough patches and small bumps. you can disconnect them from both sides at the strut end and secure then out of the way and test drive to see if your noise disappears.
Old June 30th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Clint - the sway bar has 4 bushings but they aren't the typical links kits. The bar is secured by one bushing in the control arm on each side (fairly large bushings too) and 2 front sway bar bushings under the front subframe. I did think about whether to replace the front bushings as they could be worn and just not showing which would allow for some sway bar slop.

I checked the connections from the CV to the axle bearing and it's tight. No slop there either. Installed the new outer tie rod and the car drives fine but the noise is still there. I'm seriously wondering if the new strut on that side is defective?? I replaced it once already for defect. It's a Monroe quik strut assembly. I guess one way to find out or isolate if it's the strut is to swap them side to side and see if the noise changes sides.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I know I'm using up your work day a bit with some of these requests, and I apologize for that.
Old June 30th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got a break from sleeping today. Right at noon it started thundering. The dogs quickly let me know. Couldn't figure it out. Bright sunshine out. I said, are you sure it wasn't a plane or fireworks? Then I heard it, nope definitely thunder. Came out and snoozed on the couch for a little while until my neck was nice and wrenched, then went back to bed for a couple hours.

Allan I'm not building an Amphicar to stay in the living room. I'm going to use the living room as a shop to disassemble the car, and then take it to the body shop to be painted, then depending on what space I have when that's done, I might bring it back in the house to reassemble it. But it isn't going to stay. Now, if there were others in the house I probably wouldn't be thinking along these lines, because I can be considerate, however any woman who doesn't like or can't tolerate any of my car stuff doesn't belong with me.

Okay that time again. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old June 30th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well the outer TRE was t the problem either. On a + note the new TRE has a zirc fitting so I can keep it greased.

Tomorrow is a holiday here so I'll probably wait till Thors Day to swap the struts side to side. It's the only thing left in the logic of problem solving this noise issue. If it's the strut I'm really going to start questioning Monroe quality.

Bought a leaf blower today! Finally I'll have something to clear the leaves out of my rocks and snow from the car and walks in the winter. It's a Poulan 25 cc unit that puts out 200 mph wind. Cool beans!

Time to go fill up the Sonata before the obligatory gas gouge that's sure to hit because of July and July 4.

Yeah, I was sure you had some kind of plan Mike.
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:10 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Prayers out to our gal Sandy, she needs em guys. Please keep her in mind. Stay strong darlin'
Old June 30th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Scot, have you been in contact with her?
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:54 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I have not Al. Jim has and it isn't looking good Al Please pray for her brother...
Old June 30th, 2015, 08:58 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Attachment 158759
Old June 30th, 2015, 10:27 PM

If it's the strut I'm really going to start questioning Monroe quality.
I had the struts replaced on a Lumina that I had about 10 years ago, they used Monroe, they leaked within a few weeks of the installation, they were replaced under warranty of course. I think that there is only one other strut manufacturer in the U.S. (Canadian market)? so choices are slim to say the least, can't remember who the other one was, but by now, I am not sure if they are still made here.
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:58 PM

Morning all,

Its so hot in London, we cant cope with the weather, spose we just aint used to it. its normally a hot day anything over 80, today its early to mid 90s. The government has issued health warnings!!
This is supposed to stay for the next week or so
Hardly any homes this side of the pond have A/C, never needed it. Today we do..

Bad week for cars with me. Head gasket decided to go on my dd Mitsubishi truck, which is bad enough, but it happened when I was in Wales, about 300 miles from London. Silly me forgot to upgrade my breakdown cover and it ended up costing £600 to get back, then another £900 to repair. So in the mean time Im driving in the Renault Scenic, which is quite possibly the worst car I have ever had the misfortune to own.

Still, on the upside, I'm taking this afternoon off work and I will be taking the Cutlass out for a nice long drive through the country lanes, roof down, shades on.

Also on the up side, on Friday its vacation time, taking my grandson to meet his great grandmother for the first time in the Canary Islands.
I have the perfect mother in law, she speaks no English, Im rubbish at Spanish, sounds like a win win situation.

Keep cool everyone..

Last edited by LondonCutlass; July 1st, 2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:06 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot wit a chance of p.m. showers

Okrie com'in in

Allan Please don't ax me how I know dis but be careful using a blower on gravel anywhere near glass doors.

Mike, I like your attitude, If/when ya get ready to take de plunge, I'll let cha borrow de super model to boss ya around fer a few days Dat should get ya ready to tell your future Mrs. to hit de road.

I'm not sure all y'alL remember when Scot sent Sandy peaches. She loves them.

Mr. Organized [John] gave me her cell #. so yesterday I spoke with her and she told me her treatment makes everything taste awful.

Scot turned me onto a place near him that packs and ships. So yesterday, I sent her some Peaches from "Her CO buds on the Good morning thread" Hope she can enjoy them.She's really missing not be able to go to car shows.
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:18 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

We have a new maintenance event. It's called "rain in the plane." Obviously there are people in the company who feel wit is necessary in our work. I don't remember if I told you guys about the plane last week that the condensation was pouring out of poorly sealed joints in the main ac distribution duct. Well, we got that all patched up and now we are going through every MD90 and doing this check to make sure everything is sealed and the drains are clear, and check out the whole system. The whole job is a nightmare. But it needs to be done so the passengers don't need umbrellas while on board.

Jamesbo the Supermodel was an absolute delight when I met her, you must be exaggerating.

Okay gonna hit the sack. I told the dogs that if it thunders today at noon they need to just suck it up and leave me be. They said fat chance. Happy July 1 everybody.
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:06 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all

Today is Canada's Birthday! A national holiday in the middle of the week. We have an air quality warning due to all the forest fires burning. The haze in the air yesterday was very noticeable and looked like we were in a fog bank.

Dan, the good thing is they are lifetime warranty. I'll use that for as long as it takes because I keep all bills and maintenance records for the cars.

Jim, thank for the tip. Sorta like using the snowblower on a gravel road ain't it? I'll be careful.

Mike, I guess it is what it is. Kind of like the tanaka airbag recall-some are just fine but you don't know which ones. Hey, it's job security at its finest and a proactive move by big d to keep some of their customers happier.

2 bomb threats on local Westjet (local airline) in the past week. Nothing happened but it sure makes me think it's a test run to see the reaction. Something's afoot.

Okay, that's it for now. Enjoy your day.
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:40 AM

Happy birthday Canada!!

Please remember in your thoughts this week the poor British tourists murdered on the beach in Tunisia. Killed for a twisted ideology.
Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Old July 1st, 2015, 02:49 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

It just couldn't wait. We had a nice day of sleeping, almost got ready for work, and now it's thundering. The dogs are in pieces. Why couldn't it have just waited until I left for work? Now the dogs haven't been potty and they will be stuck in their room all night. They think I'm abandoning them when I leave and they are scared. Where's the luck.

So it's Friday. Not much planned for my long weekend. Going up to see John will be the highlight of my time off. Otherwise it will be chores like normal.

London hope you had a good ride in the Cutlass.

Hm the storm is rolling in fast, guess I'll take a hike before the dogs turn inside out. Maybe I'll continue this from work, the planes are sure to be delayed now. Have a good evening everyone.