The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2015, 04:40 PM

Sad day today, just found out that we have lost Sandy.

We are truly lucky to have been able to know you Sandy and some of us were able to meet you and have a few good laughs.

Rest in peace my friend, you will be deeply missed xo.

Adrian
Old July 6th, 2015, 04:43 PM

I'm so sorry, rest in peace Sandy.
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:53 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Sad news indeed Adrian

Rest in peace Sandy. You will be dearly missed. Godspeed.
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:07 AM
CQR

Mornin.

Not news I wanted to read today. Hopefully her pain is gone and she can smile again.

So sad.
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:14 AM

$hit

WITH rue my heart is laden
For golden friends I had,
For many a rose-lipt maiden
And many a lightfoot lad.
By brooks too broad for leaping
The lightfoot boys are laid;
The rose-lipt girls are sleeping
In fields where roses fade.
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:31 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

We love you, Sandy. May God keep you in the palm of His hand forever.
Old July 7th, 2015, 06:33 AM

So sorry, not what I wanted to hear, we are all diminished by her death.... RIP Sandy...Tedd
Old July 7th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Captain Starfire

May angels whisk her dear soul straight upstairs. Prayers go out to Larry and Nicole and the rest of her family and close friends; Teepo's Mom will be sorely missed by all.
Old July 7th, 2015, 08:56 AM

This was very sad news indeed. I knew Sandy from this site as well as on facebook. She was always such a sweet person and never had a bad word for hardly anyone. She will be missed for sure. I loved her stories about Teepo and the trophies they won together. I know she had a lot of good friends on this site. May she rest in peace. Just a reminder to us all. Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy each day!
Old July 7th, 2015, 12:53 PM

Fyi

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dig...3&locale=en_US
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Administrator

So sad, tried to contact her on facebook a week or so ago. I will miss her!
Old July 8th, 2015, 03:59 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Long night last night. Everything we tried to do to the airplane we were without parts, so it got deferred. Except the TCAS. We got a TCAS computer that was bad from stock. Seems it got dropped and one of the corners was busted out and the whole box was bent. Computer #2 was better and it solved the problem.

Time to hit the sack. Friday tonight, yay.
Old July 8th, 2015, 04:18 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike I'm getting really sick of low quality parts. seems in the last 6 months, We've seen a huge increase of defective parts right out of the box. And also lerned last week that if the vehicle is 7 years old or more and it has a bad TPMS sensor then we need to replace them all.
Old July 8th, 2015, 05:34 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot wit a chance of afternoon showers

I'd like to think Sandy's last meal was a Georgia Peach.
Old July 8th, 2015, 06:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all

Spode be a scorcher her today.

Clint, I hear ya. Even some of the made in country stuff is not made all that well. BTW I had to do the rear struts on the Saturn too. PITA job because they were also original. Needed my 24" breaker bar just o bust the nots loose. Local shop wanted $1200.00 to do the job! Cost me all of 209/strut. I wish I could get quick struts from rock auto but by the time they get here the cost is the same as my NAPA discount for the same brand. Car rides like new now. Wheel align tomorrow morning. The rear struts have an oval hole in the lower brace instead of round like OEM. Except for miles, this is a new car again.

Jim, I believe you fulfill a great leadership role. Thank you.

Ted, how'd your son do? You surviving down there or do you need snorkel bear to get around. Your corn crop must be loving it.

Dan, hope your healing continues and the foot is well. Don't do that again.

John, wutchu said to my missus? Now she's interested in a vacation to NO next year. I think it's de food aspect that's got her attention.

hoffen, dass Ihr humpday gut geht
Old July 8th, 2015, 08:03 AM

Clint, what I hate about the TPMS, is the cost by the tire stores around here, I've seen how they are done and it would be a piece of cake, except for the lack of a tire changer. I might just let the light on my dash stay on if they go goofy, as I didn't need the dang things before, and I certainly don't now.
Old July 8th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Clint, what I hate about the TPMS, is the cost by the tire stores around here, I've seen how they are done and it would be a piece of cake, except for the lack of a tire changer. I might just let the light on my dash stay on if they go goofy, as I didn't need the dang things before, and I certainly don't now.
My limited understanding is that TPMS wheel sensors need to be replaced about every 10 years and the dash unit reprogrammed for the new sensors. Big $$$ from what I've seen. Might be better to just remove or disable the dash light.
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:13 AM

Wonder how far I can throw dis cell phone out de winder?
Old July 8th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slept pretty well today with the exception of when the air raid siren was going on for about a half hour. Why don't they run that thing in the middle of the night so everyone can enjoy it.

Clint who says you have to replace all of the sensors? The manufacturer? The government? The people who sell the sensors? I have a built in TPMS. It's called looking at the tires from time to time.

Jamesbo are you tired of a certain person calling or forever hanging in a phone tree?

Remember when I said the van was running better and better? Well, after I put in all the tune up parts it's been running worse and worse. Doesn't say much for my mechanical abilities. Really, all I did was swap out parts. Didn't adjust anything, didn't move anything. I have narrowed it down to two things. One it isn't a General Motors vehicle and two it doesn't have wings.

Friday tonight. It hasn't been a bad week as far as work is concerned, hopefully tonight goes well and it's a good leadoff to my weekend. Got some things planned so long as the rain doesn't show up.

Sometimes I'm puzzled. And sometimes puzzled doesn't come close to describing it.

Okay have a good evening everyone. I'm off to make the donuts.
Old July 9th, 2015, 03:25 AM

Evening everyone, starting to get chilly here but only just, maybe 5 deg in the morning so not that bad.

I like to think the same thing Jim.

$1200 to change out a couple struts is crazy, no wonder you did it yourself.

I know the feeling when it comes to no parts Mike. Our store at work is down right useless and all they seem to be able to say is "you didn't book the parts out so how are we to know it is gone" well if you got off facebook and did ya damn job ya would know, useless bums.

For all who didn't see my lovely pic on facebook that I put up, on my own time mind you I have posted it here. I like to think of the whole history of everything, that is what determines weather I like something or not.

Time for bed peeps,

Adrian
Old July 9th, 2015, 04:40 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning. Werm.
An utter hot one on de way.

65 already at 5:30 and feels muggy.
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:44 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot and dry

Mike, I'm not following you

Adrian, Don't know if you're watch'in de battle flag controversy in news. BUt

TPS et al sensors. IMHO it's just more junk to break and repair.The more stuff de more stuff to break, the higher the maintenance cost.

BTW, Since Sandy's left us. I need someone to volunteer to call me a $hit every now and then. I REALLY miss her.
Old July 9th, 2015, 06:53 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo I would be happy to apply for that position. I wonder if the Jolly Roger Flag will be next?

Mike we replaced the bad sensor (battery was dead and wouldn't transmit) then while trying to relearn the tire positions a different sensor would not work and the customer now believes he is worse off and $100 poorer and also is a bar fly a couple doors down, so I'm sure the gums are flapping over there on what a crook I am.

Allan, What kind of crack are they smoking? Even Using a quality KYB strut and including an alignment I come up with $555 plus tax.

Have a day all.
Old July 9th, 2015, 07:39 AM
NOVICE car nut

Good Morning

I couldn't believe the sad news broadcasted on CO yesterday about the loss of a dear member here . Today I went back into " The good morning thread " to look at some of the old posts . My last post on this thread just so happened to be when she announced her breast cancer . I was taken back by this and what a small world we really live in . I not to long ago changed my life for the better and realized the years I wasted that I can't get back . Like I said in the other thread .... Life is short , live it the best way you know how , and don't take anything or anyone for granted . I'm sorry for bringing this back up but I had to get this off my chest .

R.I.P. Sandy , I hope your in a better place !

FWIT ... Page 284.

Last edited by oldsguybry; July 9th, 2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by CQR
Allan, What kind of crack are they smoking? Even Using a quality KYB strut and including an alignment I come up with $555 plus tax.
Obviously high grade stuff that costs an arm and a leg. It cost me almost exactly what you quoted.
Stuts - 440.00 tax in.
Align - 112.00 tax in.
Total - 552.00 tax in.

Sometimes there's just no substitute for doing this work yourself is there? I get that shops have to make money, but just WOW! No wonder the parking lot at that place was empty and they could get me in right away.
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:08 AM

Well I went an seen the Surgeon yesterday, and he's real pleased with my recovery, I will wear the boot 50% of the time for another week and a half, then I'm done with it. Got permission to ride my peddley bike, as it helps build the strength in the ankle, so that's cool (of course I hit the bike trail when I got home). I will be going back to work on August 10th. I ordered a Sony point n shoot to take to smaller car shows as sometimes I don't feel like lugging the Alpha around, got it yesterday...geesh these things are small! I can throw it in my pocket or car to have at hand, it has 20x zoom (up to 220mm) and 20.1 megapixels, so hopefully it will do a decent job.
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Bizarre night last night. The plane didn't get in until after midnight and we still finished by 5. I got home early but didn't sleep too well, got up at 2. I don't think I would have slept this long if I got home at my regular time.

Nice and sunny (and hot) in the Greater Stockbridge Area. I've got mowing to do at the shop and also I need to start working on that Jeep. So far it looks like it will be nice my whole weekend.

So here is something -else- that puzzles me. For weeks I've been emailing this guy in North Carolina about an Imperial. Saw an old ad from April on an Imperial website. He says the car is at his shop and he'll get me some pictures. He never has sent the pictures, each time coming up with some excuse. But now I see he's put a new ad up on that website. Strange. Hope he's stuck with it forever. What a weirdo.

Jamesbo sometimes I notice things, or don't, and I think hm that's odd.

Dan glad things are going well. I've got a nice little camera, too, that I never think to bring anywhere.

Clint if you can show the guy where the parts were bad how can he go and bad mouth you? I know, go figure people.

Okay gotta get something done. See ya's.
Old July 9th, 2015, 01:03 PM
CQR

Allan, That included my normal labor rate at book time. That was $550 parts and labor. $112 alignment Wow, I only charge $79.95
Old July 9th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by CQR
Allan, That included my normal labor rate at book time. That was $550 parts and labor. $112 alignment Wow, I only charge $79.95
Yes sir, I kind of figured that. You have to realize that up here we don't get the same great rates on parts you do in the US and get hosed on many things we shouldn't. I imagine you could have got even the KYB's for around 135 each, I had to settle for Monroe Premium Quick Struts. I know you have to charge labor or you won't be able to feed the JRT. . I don't know your labor rate but I can only guess it's very reasonable. My labor rate is incredible - you might say so low it has zero profit

Oh, the 112.00 for the wheel align? That was AFTER a 35.00 'discount'. You can do the math on the ripoffs we get up here. Actually if you convert the US to C dollars your align is about 100.00 which is close to what they ended up charging me before shop supplies and tax. That's why I prefer to do as much work on the cars as possible myself. Hey, on a retirement pension the $$ gets stretched a bit thin sometimes when all of a sudden I'm forking out an extra chunka change here and there. Overall though I have to admit this car hasn't cost me much more than regular mtce items over the past 19 years so this 'revitalization' shouldn't be too unexpected. My goal is to make it not 80 or 90 % safe, but 100% for my son. It's basically running and driving like new now. The boy can drive it into the ground and I wouldn't be worried. I'll still do routine mtce on it because he doesn't really know how, nor is he interested.
Old July 9th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Two strikes at the auto parts store. Neither problem really the fault of the parts guy. I went to get an alternator for the Wagoneer, told him what motor and he gives me an alternator. Now, I had yet to take the old one off. While I was there saw a nice battery charger that was a good price so I bought it.

Got home and took the battery charger out of the box and there was a big ding on one of the corners. Reminded me of the TCAS computer from a couple days ago. So back in the box it goes. I stopped by the shop to get the alternator off the Jeep, and it's an internally regulated GM looking piece. Luckily the same guy was still at the store so we didn't have to start over. He swapped out for the correct alternator and ordered a new charger which will be in tomorrow morning.

It's a nice night out, I think the dogs and I will hang out in the back yard until the bugs get really thick. It would be a nice night for one of those outdoor living rooms.

Well have a good night everyone.
Old July 9th, 2015, 08:53 PM
GM Enthusiast

Hi all. I've been swamped lately so sorry for not being on here that much. Unfortunately the first thing I see when coming back is the news about Sandy. Thanks for providing the link Jamesbo for the obituary, I signed her guest book.

I hope to read all of your posts here over the next day to catch up.
Old July 9th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Evening all,

Internet connection has been sporadic for two weeks. Too many trees....I am attempting to find another provider.

Allan, my son did get his license. He has been driving ever since...TY for asking.

I am with Darrel...have to get caught up.
Old July 9th, 2015, 11:17 PM

Afternoon everyone, little showers this arvo but that's fine with me.

I know all about the current events Jim, I just don't particularly care what most people think about what I do, their opinions mean very little to me honestly

Glad you are able to do most of the work on the car yourself Allan. I spent a tad over $8000 to rebuild the engine in the 98 and I did as much work as I could on it. I hate to think how much it would have cost me if I just sent it off to a shop and said rebuild that for me

Always nice to have the same guy when you take stuff back to get exchanged or replaced. I noticed when I was doing the engine my local shop became really friendly and extremely helpful.

This weekend we are off to Stanthorpe to visit our grandparents. Should be a nice 2 1/2 hour drive down. They are saying there is a change of snow on Sunday and boy howdy I hope we get some. The girls will love it as will I

$112 for a wheel alignment? and I though $60 was bad

Time to relax for a bit,

Adrian
Old July 10th, 2015, 04:22 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Adrian you've been traveling a lot lately. I traveled a lot before I got my dogs. Now I hardly go anywhere. Not saying I'd change anything, but I do miss it sometimes.

Ted once in a while I have internet problems, and I have to go to the library. Major pain. I'd love to have an alternative to Charter, but I don't believe DSL is available in my neighborhood. After 40 years of having cable TV, you'd think someone could figure out a way to have something reliable and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Got some Permathrin at the store and am going to treat some clothes and go mow at the shop. Permathrin is supposed to kill ticks when they walk across it. I always come home with half a dozen or so ticks on me when I'm over there so we'll see.

Okay time for the Awful house and a couple errands. Holy Toledo it's Friday I didn't even realize it. Have a good day everyone.
Old July 10th, 2015, 05:16 AM

Mawn'in all

Spose to be a nice one today

Mike,Congratulation You've confused me more dan some of the super models oral tomes

John, I may be like taking coal to New Castle but don't cha need sum Okrie. I'm about to fonder on de stuff.

Adrain, At the risk of offending sum one. I don't know what apathy means and don't give a $hit. How's dat fer non PC I can't post it but there's a funny PC Dukes of Hazard on line

Clint, My " Boy" out your way jes got a command position at Fort Carson So he gets to run a infantry [striker] battalion and doesn't have to move.He thought they were gonna send him to [not blissful] Fort Bliss Texas. He's a happy camper

Have a Great Day Olds friends
Old July 10th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

MAwnin all

Set a new heat record here yesterday. 94* and the new AC got a good workout. Today's forecast is "only" 86*. Still no rain in sight.

Some of my garden is ready for harvest already. Beets and chard, and some spices.

Darrell, good to see ya!

Dan, sounds like you're almost fully recovered. Good job! 100 meelyun now and counting. I wonder how long this game will let me play.

Most of ya are probably singing the Finally Friday song....enjoy your day.
Old July 10th, 2015, 12:21 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Short break today. After the Awful house I went to Walmart, came home and cleaned my bedroom, and have been out in the front cleaning up the "yard." A tree rotted, fell down, and rotted some more and I finally got to picking up the mess. Really the reason for doing it at all is it's all in front of the Amphicar and I want to get it out of where it's sitting. So two things accomplished today. Also got about a week's worth of firewood out of it all.

Got a call from a guy who wants to come see the sofa out of the Airstream. He said he'd be here around 3. Hm, in the airline business on time means within 15 minutes and around means soon after. I'd say if he makes it at all he'll be late. Well, I was going to go mow at the shop but started this instead, so if he doesn't show by the time I get the car moved he's out of luck I'm going to mow.

I don't know if you guys noticed on Sandy's obituary, there were several pictures of her and one of them she's wearing a maroon shirt with OLDSMOBILE in yellow writing. I sent her that shirt, along with another one that said CUTLASS. These were shirts I wore sparingly when I was younger and could no longer fit into them. I've seen several pictures of her in the maroon shirt, and it pleased me to know how much she liked them.

Okay back outside. Beautiful out and around 90. Got a frozen jug outside with me that melts and keeps me in ice water. Never would I have believed that I'd prefer water over pop or something similar on a hot day. Right now pop doesn't sound appealing in the least.
Old July 10th, 2015, 07:42 PM

Good evening everyone! Just a quick visit tonite.

It's getting warm here. Sunny has truly arrived.

Have a great weekend.
Old July 11th, 2015, 03:14 AM

Morning, up for a small car show a bit north of here, have a good one.
Old July 11th, 2015, 04:46 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got my battery charger last night and plan on giving it a workout today. Hopefully I can get the big truck to start, it hasn't been run since October. I know, not good.

Dude finally came for the flip lounge about 5. Nice fellow, we talked about our respective projects for a while then he split. I went back to moving the Amphi and got it out of its hole, now it is in the middle of the yard.

Memorial service today for Sandy. Hope it goes okay.

Well I'll get going to the Awful house and get my day started. Happy Saturday everyone.