The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2015, 12:14 AM

Evening all, started to rain a little on and off here. Hope your having a win with the garden Jamesbo. As it's winter here mine is slow growing so I can afford to have a weekend off here and there and it won't turn into a jungle

The older cars over here are getting pretty exy lately Clint. You have to be a bit weary of cars that come from wet areas too but we only get a small amount of snow down south and rust really isn't a problem as I don't think they salt the roads. In general it just depends on how the car has been looked after although some models are prone to rust in certain spots due to poor design

In the last 6 months or so QLD stopped putting your rego stickers on the car. They figured the car can be checked by its license plate and it saves money, none of which they plan on passing on to us

Allan we have more pics and vids of the kids then we are able to go through. I have a NAS at home so we have a backup copy too

Over here when you pay your yearly rego bill you also have to pay a CTP insurance. What irks me is if you have full comp insurance on your car and can prove it you still have to pay the CTP so you pretty much pay the insurance twice 90% of the renewal is the CTP!!!

Time to get some things done around here,

Take care ya'll

Adrian
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:07 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Tuesday Mawnin

Looks like a record breaking high today in the land of the peach Old record of 99* from 1963 is about to be bested. I don't believe in the global warming bs.

Jamesbo sounds like y'all done a good deed. Maybe they will leave drugs alone now?

Allan congrats on the new A/C

Mike I sure wish I could've caught the car show and the Psycho Devilles. I will try to make the show at Stone Mtn. if at all possible that is.
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:18 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter hot one

Mike, Here's de tag story de jour. My Monday morning golf partner has a horse farm in Walton County. [where no emission test are needed] So he buys a used dualey fer his horse farm.. Guess what ? de state now requires you to register in the county where your homestead exemption is. So He lives in
Fulton so he's gotta get an emission test for his truck in a rural county that doesn't require emissions and there for doesn't have any emission testing sights.
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:28 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo. Ain't spose to make sense. As long as they get their money!

Scott, glad to see you're back. don't ferget your sunscreen.

Adrian, Is the Ferd 351 based on the cleveland block or the windsor block? Or did they have a special block only for Oz?

Dan. Same deal here, but you can't sell the plates with it. they stay with you. You can transfer then to another car you own or trash them. Most go for new ones.

Have a Tuesday.
Old June 16th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah it's the last day off. I knew this day would come but wasn't looking forward to it. It's nice to not go to work and still get paid.

Shaping up to be hot as can be today. Almost hit 100 yesterday here in the Greater Stockbridge Area.

Jamesbo I've heard some horror stories about the DMV in Fulton County. Almost like they take classes to learn how to make things difficult for you. Evidently your friend didn't buy a diesel dually. When I first moved to Georgia the plates stayed on the car when you sold it, now you keep them.

Adrian is your car still out of commission or did you get it going again?

Got plenty to do today. Need to hit the Awful house early so I can see some people that are normally gone by the time I get there. Enjoy Tuesday everyone.
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all

Cut n paste day except for a chance of t storm later this afternoon. None of the neighbors have been watering and their lawns look like disaster zones. Mine on the other hand looks like it's ready for the pros playin Augusta.

Interesting with the plate issues. We're similar to what Dan has except the plates always stay with the PO and the tags aren't issued by BD. we also have a month of expiry tag in the top left corner. The gubment knows there's a lot of unregistered and uninsured motorists driving here but won't hire enough law enforcement to fixit. We've had the same color plate for almost 20 years. To curb the problem the previous gubment decided to change the plates but had to do commission a study to do it. Net result is it didn't get done. Just do it and make it a striking contrast. Heck we only have one plate issued anyway and it's not even reflective for night. We have a real problem shaping up.

Adrian, I envy you having a 12 month growing season.

Scot, thank you! It's a Trane Ameritech 3 ton. They had to put in a special a frame coil due to low clearance but did a fantastic job installing. 2 thumbs up. The techs were young fellas who really knew their stuff and were very professional.

Jim, I gots a spare ho if ya want I kin send it down? It's got a real eezy recoil start and breeze to start.

Clint, weird noise from rf of the Saturn. Hard to find it's only really noticed on slow right turn doing into driveway. Sounds like rubber hitting something. ??? Need to simulate this more today. Can't see how this would be related to new struts or brakes.
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:04 PM

In the UK we do things a bit different. The registration plate stays with the car regardless of who owns it or where it is, this is for the life of the vehicle. Most of the cop cars are fitted with an ANPR ( auto number plate recognition reader). This flashes up when a car passes by without tax insurance or a certificate of worthiness so it's not easy to get away without having what you need, hence no need for a visual reminder on the plate. Tax is paid on the amount of pollutants the car emits unless it has classic status in which case it's free regardless of engine size. The maximum you can pay for a car is £225 per year. Up till last year we had a tax disc to display on the front screen but they stopped this to save money, now lots of people are getting fined for forgetting to tax their cars.
Don't you just love the government!!
Old June 16th, 2015, 03:25 PM
CQR

Whatsamattar Allan? The radio broken?
Old June 16th, 2015, 06:03 PM
Always room for one more

A friend of mine said those camera things on the trunk of the police cars are tag readers. I wasn't sure I believed him but if London says they're over there it must be true here. Yet more Big Brother. They could spend all day in Walmart's parking lot.

So I got finished at the tag office today. Since the woman annoyed me so much yesterday and I can be somewhat of a *****, the number for the GVWR I gave her was the front only. She looked at it and said, this can't be right, it's very light. I said that's because they are passenger cars. So she tried to look it up. I said, you couldn't do this yesterday? And you have no idea what the correct answer is yet your doubt what I'm telling you? She said, I'm just going to add 1000 to each one. I said you can put down whatever you want, like you should have done yesterday. She said, but I couldn't do it. I said, you're doing it now. And that is the end of my tag office drama for the year.

Got some [local] pizza tonight and will stay up really late. Work tomorrow so I need to sleep in tomorrow. Gotta catch up on my work emails and such so I'm not surprised at whatever I see when I get back.

Time for Starsky and Hutch. Have a good night everyone.
Old June 16th, 2015, 07:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by CQR
Whatsamattar Allan? The radio broken?
Ha! Funny you should say that. The CD player spits out the discs with an ERR code. I'm not gonna fixit though because the AM/FM stereo works fine. This model has the built in equalizer too. Weird as it seems, this low Saturn has so many options it could easily have been an SL2 except for that DOHC engine. I wonder if a Honda engine can be transplanted into a Saturn.....

I did find out what the problem was. I isolated it to the new strut. I called the parts supplier and asked if I could return it. They said the part has a lifetime warranty even though it was bought a while ago. Yowsa!! Lotta paper shuffle getting the warranty but I walked out with a brand new Monroe Quik Strut. Installed it and took the car for a test drive. Smooth and quiet. No noise from the suspension at all. Whoever assembled the other one must have tightened up a bushing too tight or something. Anyway, it's all good now. I'm glad it was something easy. Took me all of 10 minutes to get the defective one out and 10 minutes to put the new one in and torque everything back in place. I'd a made money on this one.
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

evening

My internet finally started to work!

Rain here the last few days....so it was Olds time. Fixed the floor in the convertable and got the 455 purring!

Mike, I have not watched S H in years!

Allan, what's up? Hope all is going well in the West...rain?

Clint, the BMWx5 is great....the wife enjoys driving it BUT it drinks fuel I think my Cutlass gets better mileage!

Jim, how is the tree situation? Or did I miss something?

Scot, great pics you posted on the race car thread
Old June 16th, 2015, 08:57 PM

I wonder if a Honda engine can be transplanted into a Saturn.....
Probably, as they had Redline Edition Saturns which had Honda engines, I believe that it was for two years before they switched to GM engines.
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin all

Woim I guess. Woke up to the sound of rain. Not much but I'll take it.

Ted, good to see ya back. Don't all beemers also slurp premium? That's gotta hurt at the pump.

Dan, I looked up the redline. It's an Ion which is about 10 years newer than this SL1. Actually if I was thinking Honda engine I'd go all in and just buy the whole car. I think it's a much better built car with better performance and reliability.
Old June 17th, 2015, 03:06 AM

Evening all, another wet one down under.

Had a top rear molar pulled this arvo, been having a lot of problems with it over the last few months. Turned out a hole was in the back of it that I couldn't reach to clean and the dentist couldn't lower their price to fix it so I just said pull it.

We have the 351 windsor motor and the 302 cleveland in the fords as far as I know Clint.

Car is still out of commission. It still runs fine just couldn't afford to pay the rego and insurance on the old girl and the other 2 cars too. At over $1400 for both rego and insurance a year that kind of money is hard to find these days

You can have to year round growing season Allan, I'll have the snow and the freedom we don't get here. I tell ya if you find something fun to do on the weekend I bet ya bottom dollar there is a law forbidding it in this country of mine. Hope that isn't too political

Congrats on the new A/C too Allan. How hot does it get in your neck of the woods anyway?

Take care everyone,

Adrian
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:21 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin All

Didn't break any records yesterday, but they are calling for triple digits today.

Thanks Ted. I enjoy sharing any old race car pics of Oldsmobiles I find that I haven't seen before.

Yeah Al the Trane is one of the big 3 in the HVAC business. Although just before I got out of the business, Trane was the only one to go to a composite or plastic indoor blower housing. Still a great system nonetheless.

Clint I am the worlds worst about putting on sunscreen, but I do make sure my youngest does. The wifey is suffering empty nest syndrome since we are down to only the youngest and us now.

Happy Humpty Dumpty
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:25 AM
CQR

Mornin all. Adrian, Its that way here too. But like is said. It's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I did some more searching and it looks like they are both Cleveland blocks. (We only had a 351 in the cleveland block)

Dan and Allan, The Vue also uses a Honda V6. The L series used the same brake pads as the europeans. And they also thought using lug bots was a good idea. (They were wrong) Allan, the 450 got put on the back burner. There was too much planting to do. I'll get to it soon. Good to hear the strut took care of the issue.

Ted, I'm glad she likes it even if it is thirsty. I'm hoping Brit gets better mileage once I get the 3:73's in her. Thought about doing that this weekend. It would be nice to get her out and washed up.

Mike, yup. they are here. Don't you just feel safe? Ugh. Theres a bunch of neighbors who are in an uproar that someone wants to have a halfway house a few miles form here. Its in an industrial park and right next to the train. It sounds like as good place as any. This NIMBY attitude really grinds my gears.

London only 225 pounds? I wish we had a limit like that. It's not uncommon for someone to buy a new $65K truck and then have to shell out another $1500.00 in taxes and fees to get plates for the thing. The price slowly goes down, but still.

The missus has been leaving around 2 each morning. She's dealing with lots of construction traffic up there. Chance of rain again today. the weather has been really mild. but they are threatening hot and dry next week.

Have a Humpday all.
Old June 17th, 2015, 04:55 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter hot dry one. Gotta water maters a-gain

De tree situation still sits. For over a month they have stopped construction. One would think, de wanta get it resolved to save interest on the construction loan But?

Allan, Scot [thanks for all your help] can tell you about de nightmares I have wit Carrier in de mountains A real POS

Adrian, Ax your dentist fer me. How come I got less teeth and ya price for cleaning still goes up

Clint I hate ta tell ya we liive in a Nimby world. Round ere we've got dis group called "preserve Rural MIlton" and half of de members live in subdivisions.
Old June 17th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jim, dey cost out de clean on 15 minute times called scaling. Dey will charge a full unit even if you onee needed an utter 4 or 5 minutes. Udder den dat dey just charge higher rates at cover de cost of lower fuel prices an de new yacht or meelyun dollar crib.

Adrian, you wouldn't like the winter here. It's definitely not maintenance free and it lasts longer than a woman's pms. It never seems to end we don't get the the same heat you or the guys in hotlanta n looeezeeanna swampland but for a bit it gets into the 80 s and 90s. If it was dry heat it wouldn't be as terrible.

We dont have that camera monitoring thing here. We do have halfway houses in de hood though. The peeps that live there are basically harmless and are dealing with more life challenges than others think about. They do get a no parking zone in front of their house to accommodate the handicap bus that picks some of them up. Hardly a slope to slide on IMO.

Scot, yes sir that's what I. Found out when I did the research. My oops, it's Ameristar not Ameritech.
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE=CQR;831186]

London only 225 pounds? I wish we had a limit like that. It's not uncommon for someone to buy a new $65K truck and then have to shell out another $1500.00 in taxes and fees to get plates for the thing. The price slowly goes down,
N

Sorry my mistake, there is a higher bracket of tax that's reserved for super cars like Ferrari, Aston Martin and Bentley which can touch just over a grand but that's not something that will effect the likes of me!!
The most I pay is for my Alpina which has a 3.3 litre engine and that comes at £225.
Incidentally the price to first register any new car is £55.
But on the down side, the price of a new car is around 20% more in the uk than elsewhere.
They will always get you somewhere!

Last edited by LondonCutlass; June 17th, 2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old June 17th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Oh work. Necessary evil. First day back after 10 off. Hopefully it goes easy on me tonight.

I don't think it got past 95* here today. That disappoints me. I figured the way we were going it would be well over 100. It will be hot, hot well into the night at work. When all that concrete starts giving up the heat its soaked up all day it makes the nighttime just as uncomfortable as day. It starts cooling off around 2 or 3.

Jamesbo I'd think the longer it takes to get the construction worked out the better your chances of saving your trees.

Scot I'm not one for sunscreen, either. I've started my Chicago tan early this year.

Time to hit it. Wish me luck. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old June 17th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike? I don't get it. You want it hot so you can be uncomfortable on the night shift? I must be missing something. No way in heck I want it to be 95 or north of that. The heat is too hard on everyone and everything. Maybe that's why some of the southern resorts I've been looking at front a $45.00 energy charge up front. Prolly for AC or swimming pools.

Jim, de naybors on de corner got this bright idea to pull out all their trees and shrubs in front. Drove their half ton out on the lawn, hooked up a chain and yanked me out. Makes no sense to me at all. Hey dey are Irish and sometimes drive their crazy train full throttle.

City came by on the Main Street today and mud jacked a section of sidewalk about 40' long. First time any mtce has been done here. They also trimmed back the grass only in that section and whooeeee does it look strange to have a 3" lip of dirt there.

Y'all are so entertaining with choices for Pres next year. I bet if one of them got elected, he'd fire everyone......and declare trump tower as the new millennium whitehouse.
Old June 18th, 2015, 04:26 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Had a strange write up last night, rain in the cabin. Seems some insulation came loose and the condensation on the main AC duct that runs the length of the cabin started sweating and raining down on the passengers. A fairly easy fix but we had to take down every ceiling panel to find all the places the water was coming from. Dayshift will get to put them back up.

Allan what I meant was the weather is mostly the same at the airport at night as it is during the day. It did start cooling down after 1am, so it wasn't that bad. Most people don't like the heat and humidity but I don't mind it.

Well I'm beat and I have a headache. Hope everyone has a good day. I'm off to bed.
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:16 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot, Gotta water, water water

Clint, Were your ears burning last nite. I was talk'in to my boy in Colorado Springs an he was tell'in me how crazy de weather was out there.

Mike, Is that a/c problem cause by the evaporation lines gett'in clogged up?
Old June 18th, 2015, 05:32 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, so that was you? Yea we are so wet and green it's like So. Ohio or Kentucky here. (Only been to the Airport in Hotlanta so I can't say if it's the same)

Mike, You should have responded to the write up by saying. "installed strategically placed Umbrellas in cabin." as a fix.

London
They will always get you somewhere!
That seems to be universal, no matter where you live.

Allan, Them Irish are a crazy lot. I should know.

Have a Thursday all.
Old June 18th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good mawnin all

Sure, now that the AC is installed it's staying cooler and breezier. Oh well there gonna be plenty of opportunities. Kinda like having something to do still on a bucket list?

Jim, I think Mike was saying the water was dripping where the insulation around the pressure hose had come off. Prolly that tubular foam stuff. I think if the line had a blockage the AC wouldn't work no how. BTW, I did heed yer warning about Carrier. There are only 2 of us in this hood wit AC and de other one is carrier. So far he's not had trouble with his. Who knows, it could be that we just don't stress them units much with our temps here. My water bill for last month was quite de shocker....

John, whar are ya son?

Ted, Spode get some serious wet here next few days but I'm not holding my breath. Great to hear you got some project time in. I'm about ready to start work again on my 72. I'd like to drive it sometime this year. It's been almost 4 years since it's seen daylight.

Clint, what gears does Brit have now that 3.73s would make that kind of improvement? I know you have a 200 4R and that final .67:1 makes a huge difference. Having 15" wheels also helps judging by the pics I have of her. Is the 2:00 am starts getting to the missus yet? I don't think that could be much delight in her routine. BTW, don't eat across the street ok?

Adrian, I a had the 351 Windsor in my F250. Very reliable engine I gotta say. Not bad on fuel either (18mpg hi way) loaded with an 8' camper. That thing would start every time even in -40 without being plugged in. I got a phone call from the guy who bought it 4 years ago. It's still going.

Mike, I think your headache is related to the heat
Old June 18th, 2015, 09:43 AM

Allan, De story I heard 'bout Carrier was the 2 speed compressor were made in Mexico and had a design flaw. When de changed speeds they reversed. Now, I'm no a/c expert but dat jes don't make since to me. After 5 compressors in 6 years, I read enough service bulletins til I'm blue in the face. Carrier is suing the Mexican compressor company but dat don't do us comsumers a whole lotta good.
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Yup, once you bought it you own it. Did you get the compressors changed out under warranty? I got 10/10/10 (years) on mine up here. I would sue them too if I was getting the bums rush from bad supplier. Hurts overall credibility.
Old June 18th, 2015, 10:30 AM

material yes, labor no

Until I raise holy hell wit the local wholesaler. It's just a crying shame that you have to go to such extremes [whether it a/c unit or oak tree] to get some people to do it right
Old June 18th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Started thundering about 230 this afternoon, with the bright sunshine out. Hm. Well, now there's clouds that have rolled in and lightning to go with the thunder. The dogs are having a fit. I hate to leave them when they are afraid.

Jamesbo some people don't have any integrity. Or they just don't give a damn. Either way it makes life more challenging for those of us that do give a damn.

The problem with the AC last night was the drain tube was blocked. At some point other maintenance had been done and there was a glob of RTV that was blocking the drain tube, and along with poorly sealed boots connecting the sections of duct, the condensate would just pour out and onto the passengers. The air conditioners don't use compressors like in a car. They take bleed air and put it through an air cycle machine(like a big turbine) and cool it down to 35* then push it through the main distribution duct. The air goes through a coalescer bag to get out any moisture, but the ducts themselves will sweat.

Gonna be fun trying to get the dogs to go out. They really need to because I'll be late getting home from work in the morning. I need to go get my badge renewed and the office doesn't open until 8. I had planned on going up there on one of my days off, but completely forgot about it until I was getting dressed last night. Now it's down to the wire because if it expires, even by one day, the entire airport screeches to a halt and you have to have half your teeth pulled in order to get a new one.

Have a good night everyone. One more and the weekend is upon us.
Old June 18th, 2015, 04:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
I need to go get my badge renewed and the office doesn't open until 8.
You just opened yourself up with the biggest one liner of all time Mike!

Old June 19th, 2015, 12:58 AM

Evening all, clouds parted for a lovely day only to be stuck in the shed at work for all of it

I'm positive some of the old fords had Windsor 351 motors in them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Falcon_GT
Knew if I looked I would find it

How about we swap Allan, you can have my weather and I will have yours. I'm pretty sure my neighbours will have a problem but I won't

The dentist quoted me $400 to clean my teeth That was after they pulled one out. I think you might be on to something there Jamesbo.

I would love to be able to ask for forgiveness but we just don't have that sort of cash laying around these days

Time to get dinner sorted, night everybody,

Adrian
Old June 19th, 2015, 03:44 AM
CQR

Happy Friday all.

Looks like Adrian got the worm, Thats some good info. I didn't realize they started the X series back with the XR. Were their Mercury's in Oz? Thats where we had an XR designation in the Cougar trim XR-7. That is fascinating.(Probably had something to do with me being a ford guy since being young)

Allan Could you imagine the uproar if Harvey, Mel, and the crew put something like that up on the big screen today? Great movie. I guess that shows me for who I am.
Brit has 3.23's right now and with the27" tires it puts the tach at about 1600 RPM at a lot of my highway speed. I thought it would be great, but it's not. It's just too low. It puts the carb right in the transition or tip-in of the off idle circuit and the main metering circuit. It's too low in the torque curve and makes the driver have to run probably 1/3 throttle to maintain speed and that hurts the economy.I'm hoping with a little higher RPM I can adjust my metering jet needle depth for proper AFR and have less throttle and higher vacuum at cruise to keep the metering rod piston down in its bore. It also should get her fat butt out of the hole a bit quicker. It's a love hate for the missus. Today is her last day for this run. She lives how quiet and peaceful it is but she is tired. She also gets to see a lot of wildlife. She saw a brown bear about 100' off the road yesterday and 3 meese the day before that. Also the road construction is terrible. so these early hours gets her out of some of the traffic tie ups.

Mike, hope the badge thing worked out. I remember my buddy always talking about his badges. He had one for the airport and then had to have a few others for the different companies. He contracted with several smaller companies and needed to have access to each of their buildings.

Jamesbo, any news on the trees? Or still hanging out in bureaucratic limbo?

Well gotta go get the steers tomorrow, have a weekend all.
Old June 19th, 2015, 05:12 AM

Mawn'in all

Anutter not dry one.Still water'in maters

Please don't get me started on that movie. I think I know all the great lines.

" Is it tu what de say................zip, it's tu, it's tu"

W/o gettin tooooooo political I sure as hell hope de race baiters stay outa Charleston, we already got the anti gun, anti flag groups ras'in cane.
Old June 19th, 2015, 06:10 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Friday Mawnin All

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Allan, De story I heard 'bout Carrier was the 2 speed compressor were made in Mexico and had a design flaw. When de changed speeds they reversed. Now, I'm no a/c expert but dat jes don't make since to me. After 5 compressors in 6 years, I read enough service bulletins til I'm blue in the face. Carrier is suing the Mexican compressor company but dat don't do us comsumers a whole lotta good.
Yep, they reversed rotation when they switched from low to high or vice versa depending on the anticipation of the thermostat reaching it's desired set point.

For a 4-ton 2 speed Carrier the compressor has 1 piston for low (2-tons) and 2 pistons for high speed (4-tons). Bad design and the main reason why I never pushed these on anyone when I sold HVAC was because they reversed rotation. And if your house required say 3.5 - 4 tons (42,000 - 48,000 BtuH) of cooling, then why in the world would one want 2-tons running at anytime to try to do a 4-ton job? Trane however used a "bigger hammer" approach and come up with the great idea of utilizing two compressors. So now with their "2-stage" deal, not only do you have 2 compresors... you have 2 of everything that controls them. All in a system that will or should last 10-15 years.

Originally Posted by Allan R
Yup, once you bought it you own it. Did you get the compressors changed out under warranty? I got 10/10/10 (years) on mine up here. I would sue them too if I was getting the bums rush from bad supplier. Hurts overall credibility.
Good on you for going with the 10/10/10 warranty 10 years warranty on the parts and compressor is great until something like the lemon Jim bought rears it's ugly head. Cause labor ain't cheap and in many instances in any HVAC company's rate book, labor well exceeds the actual part cost on almost ALL repairs. That's why I can't work for them any longer, I'm too nice of a guy to screw my customers.

Originally Posted by slantflat
The problem with the AC last night was the drain tube was blocked. At some point other maintenance had been done and there was a glob of RTV that was blocking the drain tube, and along with poorly sealed boots connecting the sections of duct, the condensate would just pour out and onto the passengers. The air conditioners don't use compressors like in a car. They take bleed air and put it through an air cycle machine(like a big turbine) and cool it down to 35* then push it through the main distribution duct. The air goes through a coalescer bag to get out any moisture, but the ducts themselves will sweat.
They will sweat if in unconditioned air or uninsulated. With the system they have, I don't see why they don't heat and cool the entire plane like we do in many commercial buildings.

Well enough preaching about HVAC, tune in tomorrow and I'll be discussing the 10 reasons not to handwash a bobcat

Have a great weekend all
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:12 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

An odd night and morning for sure. Went to pick up our plane at 8 last night and before it even got to the gate they called it for going back out. Which was fine with us because we needed to change a wing heater blanket and that's one gigantic pain in the ****. So we sat around doing nothing until 330 when we went to change an engine on a 757. After moving two planes and getting all the stuff ready we didn't start the actual work until after 5. Then I went to the first badge office. What a waste of time. Too many unnecessary steps just to get an ID. I mean, I've had an Atlanta airport ID for the past 18 years. Just who the hell do they think I've become? Went to the second office and got the actual ID and then got cheated at Burger King before leaving. Got home 2 hours later than I usually would, which wasn't too bad. I had told the dogs last night I'd be late so they weren't worried. I had the forethought to take tonight off, so now I can either stay up and do stuff or sleep for awhile but not worry about going in.

Scot the only commercial AC that I know about is how they cooled L concourse at O'Hare. They had big blocks of ice and blew air over them. I think the ice would be too heavy for the airplane. I should say that I never actually saw the AC system at L concourse, but several people said that's how it worked, why would I doubt them. It does sound kind of weird.

Okay gonna jump in the shower and then figure out what I'm gonna do for the day. Hope Friday is good to everyone.
Old June 19th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Late mawnin all

I think ya got worm status Clint. When Adrian was posting it was evening down under .

Put the Saturn up on ramps yesterday and ground Dow the rust and scaling that's on the LS subframe. Then I. Painted it with black rustoleum. Don't like how rough the metal looks as there's a couple of rust blisters coming through in two places. The RS is still like new because it's had an oil leak coating it for the past 14 years.

Adrian, I'd do that in a heartbeat. I wouldn't want your summers though.

Clint, what about 3.42s? You got me wondering about my car now but all I did with its rear is changeout from 2.73 and put in posi. Still got 14" tires though. I'm pretty sure the engine won't be in a low torque band with the TH350 still in it. Good to hear the missus is on the home stretch. Meese? You crack me up! Ida said she saw a moose and then she saw two more of em!

Jim, good luck wit de waterin. Yeah dat was one o de good lines but there were so many. All Mel's movies were notorious for pushing the envelope of innuendo.

Mike, did they tear up the house again or escape?

Scot, lookin forward to that. You talking about the critter or the machine ?

Time fear a slurp and then get at it. Chores await. Hope John and Freya are enjoying the day..
Old June 19th, 2015, 08:38 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Originally Posted by Allan R
Scot, lookin forward to that. You talking about the critter or the machine ?
The critter Same reasons as to not try an give em a haircut either
Old June 19th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Sorta Mornin all

Beautiful day here....

Took the w30 to a show....it sure likes the fuel with the 3.42 gear....the 2.56 is much better....the shift band is much shorter with the kit, I think that helps with fuel too in the silver Cutlass...justa an random observation

Allan, glad you are getting rain. It will be nice when you get your car done.

Adrian, the winters here are long but I think I would take them over extreme heat!

Clint, I worry about my wife and her long commute everyday. Glad it will come to an end for yours.

Well, back to work..driving the Supra to reduce fuel costs during the week so I can use the savings in the cutlass on the weekends

Have a day all
Old June 19th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I believe Elsie is here. At least her blow hard cousins are... prolly waiting for her to catch up. Yikes, wind gusts are upwards of 45mph! I'm not liking that my Sonata is in line with the oak out front.

Hey Mike - have you ever had any rattles on the left front corner of your dash? (saturn) I got one that is annoying and the only way to do anything is to drop the steering column and the black plastic trim cover. I think it's that stupid push pin not holding the plastic tight enough that's causing the rattle because if I slide my finger between it and the cluster the noise goes away. Maybe tomorrow if I feel like I want to be a contortionist.

Ted - I kinda thought that about the 3.42s. I really wanted 3.23 or 3.08 but I had the 3.42s handy. The 3.23's I had were for an 8.2 BOP and the spline was wrong. I might still change them out for 3.08 if I don't like the way its behaving. Yup, I want it to be on the road soon too. I've been missing the cruising. It's no 442 or 455 but it's a wonderful driving car with plenty of snap. Lots of thumbs up every time I'd take it out too.

Scot - So I'm guessing the #10 reason not to wash a bobcat is you'd get wetter than the cat?? Either that or you're allergic to blood? Or you can't stand the sound of your own screaming? This and more I'm dying to hear about...same bat channel, same CO thread...

Mike - it sounds like someone is stretching your leg just a lot. Only good thing about that is you can walk sideways on a mountain and not have to lean.
Old June 19th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

When I went to bed at 1030 I asked the dogs to wake me up at 1. They woke me up at 430. That's okay. Went and grabbed a bite and went to Walmart, and got some laundry going so the day is still a success.

The storms we had going through last night ended early and the dogs survived just fine. I will be doing some fortifying of the room.

Ted have you done anything with the Merc pickup?

Gonna relax the rest of the evening and figure out what to do tomorrow. It's car washing day and I might clean up the convertible real nice so I can take it to the cruise in on Monday. We'll see.

Have a good evening everyone.