The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2015, 05:09 AM

Mawn'in all

Thinking about Sandy's service today

Mike, I sent her some t-shirts from the BPO meet here but I may a goofed on the sizes

Headed to the mountains.
Old July 11th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Captain Starfire

Howdy', y'all....

Decent enough morning in da' hills. Prolly taking the day off from the walking and hiking to try and finally finish the painting... but it never really ends. I spent the last two days prepping and priming our swing... way more work than I had anticipated. It should go back up today. Of course, the panels are still off the bike, so it doesn't appear the bike will be roadworthy before I leave, which was one of my goals. But the painting (outside) will be done... one way or another.

Jamesbo, I'd be way happy to take as much of dem okries off yer hands as you could spare; problemo is the hand-off... . Maybe next year we'll be rendezvousing in the height of the season.

Mike, here's a newsflash: There are jackasses on Planet Earth. (And some of them own old Imperials.) Too bad; I love old Imperials, myself. I think we discussed the Leno video, but for those who haven't seen it, it's a hoot. Did anybody here post this before? If so, I'll take 'er down...

I didn't know you gave Sandy those T-shirts. What a decent gesture that was... You can bet your bottom dollar she thoroughly enjoyed them.

Darrell, set a spell! Sounds as if life's rearing its (sometimes) ugly head...

Clint, I hope those clients of yours appreciate your honesty, integrity, and professionalism... I have a guy down here I can usually count on not to jack me around and I deeply appreciate him.

Whelpt, y'all have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; July 11th, 2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old July 11th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, there's a 55 Chrysler 300 2 dr ht hemi going up for sale in Calgary on July 25. Part of an estate sale. Also a 54 Cadillac coupe deville and a 68 lemans vert. Oh also a 2 tone 54 Dodge Regent ht sedan.

Really hard on the breathing with all the smoke in the air here. Air quality really sucks.
Old July 11th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Success. I charged both batteries in the big truck a total of one hour each, and the beast fired up! Let it get nice and warm idling then pulled out the hand throttle and let it run about 1700RPM. What a sweet sound. Let it run maybe a half hour before I cut it back to idle so the turbo could cool down, then shut it down. No drive today, but it was a good run after being dormant so long. I'll be sure to keep things going now and not let it sit for so long.

Jamesbo remember when I said I found those shirts, and whoever spoke up first could have them? I think Sandy chimed in before my finger was off the enter button.

John you know I'm not a big fan of Leno but that was a good video. What a beautiful car. It makes me wonder, instead of going to the trouble of re-skinning the '52 automobile to look like a '56, why didn't they just make new cars? It couldn't have been all that much more.

And speaking of Imperials and youtube videos, here's a quick video of the car that I'm looking for. Of course, I wouldn't mind having the truck, either, after all it is an Oldsmobile.

Guess I'll go over to the shop and do some mowing. Haven't done that in a couple weeks. My back yard needs mowing again, it hasn't even been a week.

Break's over.

Okay I'll quit watching the video. That's a 1962 Imperial LeBaron. The script on the sail panel was made out of real gold. Chrysler had to pay a luxury tax on each script(two per car) due to being made of precious metal.

Last edited by slantflat; July 11th, 2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:35 PM

A buddy had a black Imperial around 1974-'75, we thought that it was cool with the floating headlights. His mother had a black '65 Jetstar 1...425 powered of course, he would haze the rear tires.
Old July 11th, 2015, 02:00 PM

John, here is a car that has been for sale north of me for awhile, it is a solid nice Chrysler...but it won't sell, and I think that the price is cheap for something like this, which is essentially a turn key car, though not show.
Old July 12th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mawnin All

Really? Sunday Werm this late? Ok.

Enjoyed fresh veggies from the garden yesterday with dinner. Sweet and tasty!

'Twas anutter hot n humid day that used up two shirts. I decided to make some smoothies to ease the thirst cause my supply of cold ones is used up. Smoothies with a half jigger of spiced rum go down purity good. Cooler today in low 80's. Funny how that seems much better. Air is still really smoky. Looks like Los Angeles on a bad day.

Happy Birthday Brian!

Enjoy your day.
Old July 12th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Captain Starfire

Happy Sun day from da' hills. Nice Chrysler, Dan. Thanks for posting. Just so happens Gene in Bellaire was looking for a '56 Chrysler. I'm going to send to a mutual friend and see if the friend can show Gene on the smart phone. Gene is totally out of the loop as far as computers & email & Internet -- not that we haven't led the horse to water. But he goes in to the hospital on Wed to get the 2nd knee replaced; so the timing's not too good right now.

Looks decent enough here... they say 30% chance of an Elsie visit; we had a couple quick showers yesterday; nothing too bad. Plan is to go hike at Jack Rabbit Mountain trail in NC today, then go straight to stuff our faces at Big Al's Pizza in Hiawassee. Then we'll come back and clean up and pack our things to head out in the a.m. for the 600-mi. trek -- kitties in tow.

Whelpt, let me go stare at the motorcycle and see how little I can get done before we leave.
Old July 12th, 2015, 10:07 AM

Mawn'in all

Only stayed a short while in de mountains

Could use a little rain on de garden.

GTG find a starter fer de mower
Old July 12th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good day of sleeping. It's been slightly overcast today and the dogs have been on power save. I appreciate that. Got up around 2 and haven't done a derned thing.

I guess I wasn't supposed to mow yesterday. Got over to the shop and started mowing, and since I had decided to set the mower deck down a notch I kept running over dirt piles or whatnot and bending the front of the deck in so the blade would hit as it went around. Kept stopping to pull the front of the deck out, very irritating. One time I hit something and all this smoke started coming out. The blade had jammed on the deck. Got that fixed and in about two more minutes of mowing the (now burnt) belt shredded itself. Since I had the chainsaw with me, I thought, we'll see if it starts up and maybe I can cut up a few things. Took the cap off to see if it had gas, oh it was full. Being hot and also bouncing around in the van for a couple weeks made the gas boil out under pressure and all over me. That was that.

John enjoy Big Al's. I thought you were going to take me there some time. Safe trip tomorrow.

Okay off to work. It's Monday wish me luck. Have a good night everyone.
Old July 12th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Finally! It's started raining. Still too soon to get real excited but such a relief to see it's been steady for the last 1/2 hour. Boomers and Lightshows abound. LOL - good thing I watered today...
Old July 13th, 2015, 03:58 AM

Mawn'in all

Thunderboomers last nite

Mike, Hope de pups are OK

GTG put on my plumbers hat No smackie dis Monday.
Old July 13th, 2015, 04:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good night at work, a little long it seemed. Started out on an MD88 that just needed finishing up from dayshift. Then went to another MD88 where I dare say I did most of the work. Then got farmed out to an engine change on a 757 after lunch. Got the engine down and found problems with the pylon, so it will get finished some time today.

Jamesbo we had a hellacious lightning storm at the airport most of the night, but we didn't hear any thunder and we didn't get any rain. When I got home this morning the pavement and the cars were wet but the dogs seemed fine.

Such a beautiful morning, too bad I'm going to miss most of it. But alas, it's off to bed so I can get up this afternoon and do it all over again. Hope everyone enjoys their Monday.
Old July 13th, 2015, 05:25 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Dan, The labor isn't the expensive part. the Sensor can be. The one for the Caddy was about $80 if I remember. I only get about $15 in labor. And on that one I spent close to 2 hours trying to get them programmed.

Jamesbo, Congrats to your 'Boy' Hope it all works out for him.

Better get to the Salt mine.

Have a Monday all.
Old July 13th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning
Rain was short lived. At least it's cooler and air quality is a bit better.

Clint, I thought Cadillac had a relearn feature built into the information system. Glad I don't rely on TPMS for my rides.

Jim, so yer a plumber now? 2 rules. $hit flows downhill and pay days Friday. Good luck wit rule 1.

Purdy quiet lookin Monday.
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

hi all,

Finally got internet with a turbo hub thru Bell....

Allan, glad you are getting rain!. The West seems to be burning.

Talk soon.....hope everything is okay with all!
Old July 13th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ted - WTH?? A puter with a Hemi? The rain isn't much to talk about. Still waiting on the big storms. Yesterday was like standing at the urinal and not getting more than a few drops out. Didn't even get the car dirty picking up the boy....

Yes the west is on fire - all the way from SK to BC. Seems like we didn't harvest enough lumber and ma nature is getting even with us. Either that or this is some nasty way of culling out the pine beetle infestations.
Old July 13th, 2015, 04:42 PM

Glad I don't rely on TPMS for my rides.
These are mandatory in the U.S., are they in Canada?
Old July 13th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Dan, I do not think so, but the newest vehicle I own is a 2011....

Wow, this new cellular Internet is fast

Man, I feel like crap...I have had a bunch of 400 Pistons sitting on my bench in a box to be shipped to a fellow member on the West coast and I still have not got to shipping them...sorry, random thought
Old July 13th, 2015, 06:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
No sir they are not. Thank God for that. The one thing that will be mandatory in 2016 or 2017 though is back up cameras on every model. Heck, you guys don't even have DRL modules on your cars. We've had that since around 1989 or so. Same thing with high mounted center brake lights - Canada had them way before the US did. You'd be surprised how many cars still run around with absolutely every brake light burned out though. What we really lack here is a mandatory vehicle inspection for safety equipment on vehicles. After the car leaves a dealer lot it gets lost in the field of no maintenance for some reason. Unless you're someone like Ted or me....
Old July 13th, 2015, 10:30 PM

DRL..Daytime Running Lights? GM made them std. in 1997, and CHMSL in '86.
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:30 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot wit a chance of sum thunderboomers later in de day.

Plumbing job #1 complete, # 2 [ no pun intended] complete but still drips

Trailblazer [Super model's perfect get away car] new water pump, belt and oil change.

Today, pick more okrie and maters and head to town to share wit friends

I sure miss Sandy,

Have a great day Olds friends
Old July 14th, 2015, 04:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Man I feel like I've been chewed up and spit out. Started the evening out by sweeping and shoveling hundreds of pounds of oil dry. Our plane had its fuel jettison system inop and when a guy went to reactivate it to troubleshoot, it jettisoned fuel all over the hangar floor. Officially it was only 4.9 gallons, but really who knows.

So here's a new one. I can't scroll up or down the pages of the website now. My little scroll wheel doesn't work, I have no bar on the side, very strange. I figured out how to scroll by holding down left click and pulling, like I'm highlighting to print. I was looking at work and everything worked fine. I don't know why I can't have a decent computer. Every computer I've had since the beginning has had something stupid wrong with it.

Anyone know where I could get custom automotive paint in a rattle can?

Gonna hit the sack. Tonight is my Friday. Have a good Tuesday everyone.
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:08 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, Yes they do have a relearn procedure on the dash but only if the sensors have enough battery to transmit. back up cameras? crap. as if they don't look behind them enough already...

Ted, you're ahead of me. The newest I have in an 05. and the lowest miler I have is my daily driver 98 Mazda.

Gunna be hot with a chance of thunderstorms again today and the rest of the week.

Any advice on a new chainsaw?

Have a Tuesday all.
Old July 14th, 2015, 05:42 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin,

hot and muggy...chance of rain..

Allan, there are two things I do not mess with...no expense spared on roofs and car maintenance. . Hope the conditions change for the better for you guys!

Clint, I installed a back up camera and disconnected it! I did a better job without it. I have had the best luck with Stihl thru the years. What size are you looking at?

Mike, what is oil dry?

Jim, Sandy has been in the back of my mind too.She was one of the first people who welcomed me to the site

Dan, FWIW, DRL are a waste of energy....
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:38 AM

Clint, I'd go wit a Poulan or a Husky
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:28 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mawnin All

We need Elsie to pay a visit here, but hopefully without her lightshow and percussion band

Interesting fact on the '62 Imp Mike

Clint, I used to cut trees back when my knees could take the abuse. I don't know about now but Homelite, Skil and Jonsred were top of the line. Poulan isn't made to last, especially with today's ethanol infused gas. I have a pile of them Jamesbo. Poulan is short for Pull-On and Pull-On and Pull-On and Pull-On and Pull-On and Pull-On and Pull-On and Pull-On.
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Captain Starfire

quikky

Safe & sound in da' Swamp, thank the Good Lord.
Had to chime in on the chainsaw. I agree with Scot about the Poulan's -- avoid. Also, unless you're going to spend significant money on a Husq, avoid them, too. The "home" versions are not built to last. Only the professional jobber versions are worth their weight in salt. (Firsthand knowledge, unfortunately.)
Be back later or manana, Oldsmofriends.
Old July 14th, 2015, 08:41 AM

Anyone know where I could get custom automotive paint in a rattle can?
Mike, try a local automotive paint store or Tower Paints. Sammy, GM went to DRL's after studies showed them to be effective in reducing accidents in Europe, where they have been used much longer, I believe it was the Nordic countries. Oil Dri is silica, aka cat litter, used for absorbing spills, I have a 20lb bag in the garage.
Old July 14th, 2015, 09:38 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Clint - it's not like I'm a big fan of all the technology, but anything that might help improve the safety of cars with today's drivers is ok with me. What I think they're getting at with backup cameras is preventing running over little people behind cars or things like bikes and other vehicles that the drivers nowadays just don't check for before putting the car into R and hitting the gas. Seems like a lot of peeps just look forward instead of actually looking behind them when reversing. Mirrors are only good for so much though.

So the caddy you were working on - was it mostly just change out the TPMS sensor in the wheel? I was so curious about your dilemma I watched a few DIY vids on Yoo Hoo. Seems like it's mostly tedious downloads and installing with that TPMS tool?

Dan - the DRL's may have started in Europe and SA, but what got them into the NA auto industry were NHTSA studies and comparisons. Just that Canada got on board with them earlier than USA. Recently a neighbor who vacations in Palm Springs bought a Ford there (a 2009 model) that was built without DRLs. He had to pay around 1000.00 to have the car retrofitted locally with them. WTH?? Yes, 1986 sounds right for CMHSLs. I had that installed in my 85 Calais when I saw it come out in 86. I think it's a good idea. Oldsmobile came out with it first - 1971 Toronado had 2 upper brake lights. Likely a safety feature ahead of it's time - redundant brake lights in case one set burns out. You ever been in the trunk of a Toro and tried to service those buggers? It's tight.

Mike - NAPA offers that service. I've bought paint from them. Just give them the color code and they'll mix it up and put it in a spray bomb. Their nozzles are actually pretty good for spray and not spitting.

Scot - Thanks buddy. I just bought a Pull On leaf blower a couple weeks back. Lucky for me its an industrial model I guess. So far no problems whatsoever starting it. It also has a 'cruise' switch that allows me to not pull the trigger all the time. Last tree I cut down was a poplar at our old house. I was not poplar with the neighbors across the street who were tree huggers. Tough - the tree was split from heavy snow and needed to go, and it was on my property. It was a beech to get the roots cut and out though.

Ted - Stihl? you mean SHteel. Right Shteeve and Shtanley? I love that commercial.
Old July 14th, 2015, 11:40 AM

Morning all, finally getting some cooler weather at home

Had a fair bit of rain at Stanthorpe on the weekend. We also had a low come through with arctic winds which really turned down the heat, Sunday morning I woke up and it was -2 outside but we didn't get any snow where we were kids would have loved it.

Stihl has always been a reliable chainsaw Clint.

I love being able to get away and do things with the family. Doesn't happen as much as I would like but I take every chance I get. The longer I can get away from work these days the better

Speaking of work, it's that time. Take care olds mates,

Adrian
Old July 14th, 2015, 01:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ooops, I called Stihl like I call pop. Here's why (I always get a kick out of the punch line )

Old July 14th, 2015, 01:42 PM

I really like the '71-'72 Toros, cool styling before the big bumpers arrived in '73. I like the idea of back up cameras on new cars because they are higher in the rear than in years before, and it is a pain to see behind the car when backing up. On a different note, while on Facebook playing Candy Crush, I inadvertently sent Sandy a request, how do I not do that anymore, it would seem cold to unfriend her, but I don't know of decent way to do it.
Old July 14th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hey look at me, my scrolling works again. What a weird thing to not work.

Slept awesome today. Got into bed about 815 and slept until after 3. At some point my girl jumped up on my bed and rolled into me to cuddle. That never happens. Well, after about five seconds she started wiggling because she wanted to be petted so she had to go.

I'll check out NAPA for paint. Not the one close to me, they put the screws to me one time too many and acted like ****** about it, so they are done.

Dan I've had friends that have died and I still have their numbers in my phone. My one friend's sister died years ago and people still post on her facebook. One way to keep remembering them I'd keep sending the requests.

I need a new chain saw as well. My current one is a Poulon and it's been a good saw, but once it started wearing out it went fast. I wouldn't buy another one. Not sure what I'll get but I've sure been spoiled with the 20" bar.

John glad you had a good trip back. Now start mowing!

Okay gotta get gas for the truck on the way to work. Happy Tuesday evening everyone.
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:37 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike, The local paint store (Auto paint) around here custom makes aerosols. Also Dupli-color has a large selection of factory paints. if you have a paint code you may be able to look it up on line to see if it can be ordered. http://www.duplicolor.com/product/pe...tomotive-paint

Well I have a 20 year old Poulan that is about done. It leaks constantly (Bar oil) and its silly to have 2 16" saws. I'd rather not deal with a Lowes or Home Depot disposable saw. I'd like an 18 or 20" bar even tho I don't use it very often. I was in getting parts for my mower at our local independent equipment place. He used to carry Huskys but now carry's a line of a German saw called a Dolmar. I'd rather give my money to him than a corporate chain, but I've never heard of them and they are about $100 more than the HD husky. I'll look to see who around here carries a Stihl.

Have a Humpday all.
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:05 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin,

Allan, love the pic of the Toro!. My brother had one identical and let me take it to school a few times....what a beast!. I remember losing everyone at stop lights...but when I got to school I had to park on the street because it would not fit into the small parking lot.
Adrian, I too like to get away, but lately it has been crazy trying to organize. Especially since my son got his license and my wife has taken on a more responsibilities at her work. I may just load everything up and tell them that we are going ....no choice

Cool here today...good day to work...better get at it..

Have a day All
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:21 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Long night. Hopped from one plane to the next, and on the last one didn't get cleaned up and paperwork done until after 7.

So last night we went to pick up our first plane, then went to another gate to pick up a crew coming in from out of town. As we were waiting, a huge storm blew up with strong wind. Just as I looked up a large piece of the building blew off and crashed onto the ground, barely missing the airplane at the gate, and completely covering some cargo that was waiting to be loaded. What I didn't see was that it bounced off the employee bus that was driving past and smashed in the front windshield. The ramp guys scattered. Crazy to see something like that.

Going with a buddy of mine later today to help him pick up a baby crib. He doesn't have a big enough car so we're going in my pickup. And since he's from NW Indiana and knows I'm from the Chicago area, he was prepared to bribe me. He's going to treat us to Aurelio's pizza on the way back.

Guess I'll crawl into bed and get a couple hours before I need to go pick up my friend. Happity Humpity everyone.
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:28 AM

Mawn'in all

Severe thunderboomer last nite

Mike, De pups OK?

De strangest thing happened on a post from yesterday. I got an e-mail on my phone saying slantflat had posted on de good morning thread but it was blank.

cable out, yard trashed.time to pick up sticks etc.

Had to have de mower starter rebuilt. Couldn't find a new one

Clint, I meant Styhl instead of Poulan but don't listen to me. I don't know $hit from Shinola

Have a great day Olds friends
Old July 15th, 2015, 05:42 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Mornin All

Whelp it looks like Jamesbo got hammered yesterday evening by the storms that were heading south (my way) They were punching out 10,000 lightning strikes a minute By the time they reached my neck of the woods, they had completely fizzled out. Not a drop of rain and thankfully not a single lightning bolt. Saw some pics from a friend who is a lineman in Atlanta and man what some damage up there.

We tied a 38 y/o record yesterday with temps of 101* Supposed to only reach 96* today, but factor in the humidity and it will still feel like 100*

Mike here are a few links for ya

http://www.tcpglobal.com/Aerosol-Paint/

http://www.apstowerpaint.com/

Clint you can search for the closest Stihl dealer here

http://pages.stihldealer.net/dealers...FQUMaQodxnMPWg

Dan I wouldn't stop sending our dear friend game requests either. You can uncheck her name from the pop-up before hitting send requests, if you feel like it is inappropriate.

Jamesbo y'all aright up thar?
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning

Weather peeps keep promising moisture and they keep being wrong. It's pouring in the south and north but misses us all the time. They're starting to ration outdoor watering in some communities.

Jim, you'd know the difference if y'all took a whiff. Why not just get a new mower?

Ted, yeah they moved pretty good with a 455. When the Toro got the 403 it felt grossly underpowered.

Adrian, you guys get some snow? Saw someplace in Oz got some the other day.

Gonna take the boy to work and come back and pick some saskatoons. They're big and sweet this year. Yummy! Only thing is ya eat too many an ya get the $hits. Natural laxative I guess.

Mike, sounds like your favorite food is pizza.