The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2015, 05:23 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Allan, There are many days (like yesterday) that I lose money too. VC gaskets are common, especially the early SOHC since it was just sillycone.

Mike All Caddy's seem to struggle to turn over. Start by doing a Voltage drop test on both the + and - battery cables. If thats ok and the battery is good (not just charged but can handle the proper CCA) then its probably a starter.

We got some weather yesterday.
A little hail
http://www.facebook.com/ilike9news/v...type=1&theater

Some wind.

And mother earth was hangry

The light and sound show last night was fun. more than 15 minutes of constant lightning.

Have a weekend all.
Old June 5th, 2015, 05:45 AM

Yikes Clint I thought about you when I saw de news.Was dat near you

I can help ya remove any trees
Old June 5th, 2015, 06:58 AM
CQR

I love that pic.(I have to admit I've done something kinda like that only with a little lower altitude.

The hail was about 4 miles from the house, the Twisters were an hour and 4 hours away. The sinkhole is about 15 miles away.
Old June 5th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Morning all

Beautimus day shaping up. Gotta go to NAPA and pick up the rotors, calipers and some new pads. After looking at what came out i decided it wasn't worth it to skimp.

Mike, I iAd a 307 in my Regency Brougham and I don't remember it being slow to turn over. We've had the Saturn since new. In fact I drove it off the showroom floor. It's been my missus dd ever since. I think one of the contributing factors is it goes from -30 inTo an insulated garage in the winter.

Clint, losing money on a job sucks. Wow you guys got some nasty weather.

Jim, dat tents thing jest remembered me of ya. Good thing y'all got a scents of humor

There was a roadways truck came through yesterday afternoon doing a seismic survey of the road. First time I ever saw that. Hope the road isn't going to cave in?

Heading for a hot spell next little while so I guess I'll be watering more.

Ted, I'm guessing you'll be out n about doing some cruises with the W30 or the new Merc?

My sisters BD today. Sheesh she's younger than me but I didn't realize how old she's getting!
Old June 5th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', folks

Clint, you guys seem to be the bull's eye for any kind of bizzarro weather lately. So glad it didn't smack you on the chin, anyhow. As for me, I'll keep risking the hurricanes -- although that pic of Montrose from my buddy was mighty picturesque. Hope you keep dodging the bullet, my friend. As for down here, we're in the throes of a big hi-pressure system that has us hot & dry.

So knowing the lo probability of an Elsie visit yesterday, I figgered I'd take the F-150 -- which had been spit-polished by yours truly -- to the S. Shore to meet with some folk, then stop at Sam's in Kenner to pick up some big new toys for the Plantation. Wouldn't you know it? I hit a shower. A clean vehicle is a rain magnet, no doubt. It'll have to stay dirty for a while now: it's like a day's work to shine up that behemoth.

BTW, my trip to Sam's was a veritable nightmare. It took me over an hour of standing in the front of the store like a dunce to buy a few items that had to be "pulled from the back." I came close to walking a couple times; it got from the sublime to the ridiculous. Sure wish they'd open a Costo closer to me. The folks I know who are going to the new one in N.O. seem to really like it.

Whelpt, I'm sure there's a bunch other important (not) stuff I'm fergittin' since I haven't been here in a few days, but it'll have to wait... outside chores beckon. Have a great day of Freya, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 5th, 2015 at 08:20 AM.
Old June 5th, 2015, 02:03 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Thunder boomers today....but clear tomorrow.

Allan, yup talking the w30 and the Merc to a show on Sat! Or out for a cruise with my friend who is getting his 51 Fud pu back on the road.

Jim, that pic scares the daylights out of me. I used to climb for a tree service and have been involved in forestry all my life....guys that do this to save a few bucks have a screw loose...hire a pro, save a life!

Clint, some nasty storms wonder if the hail put down the hay?

John, always happens that way

Mike, I think my mother was more worried about the driver than the car

Have an evening friends
Old June 5th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another good day for sleeping. Sunny and not too warm out, gonna be another chilly night. That's okay, no rain.

Clint those aren't good pictures! Glad you weren't too close. When I was little I was deathly afraid of any kind of storm. Maybe that's what the dogs' problem is, they just have to outgrow it.

John I'm not a fan of the warehouse stores. Was a member of Costco once and got in a big fight with the attendant at the gas pumps. Seems he was adamant that I not back in to the pump, even though I would have been waiting otherwise. Nonsense. Joined BJ's to buy a portable garage. Went back a couple times but being a singular type person had no need to buy food, clothes, or what have you in quantities fit for the army. Not saying they're bad places(except Costco) just not a place I'd go.

Allan I say that about my brother. At first glance it's funny that he's getting so old, but not funny when I remember I'm older than he is. Hope your sister has a great day.

Okay time for night #2. Hope everyone has a good Friday evening and a good weekend.
Old June 6th, 2015, 05:20 AM

Hi, bye
Old June 6th, 2015, 07:38 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo have a good weekend.

Allan, The real website is Canadadrugsdotcom we used to use pharmacyrxworlddotcom but they got real sketchy and lost my confidence.

Have a good weekend all.
Old June 6th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Captain Starfire

Mornin', y'all

Looks to be anudder hot & bright one today. Last nite better half & I got the lead out and went to see a choral group perform in Covington. It was nice... Might actually consider auditioning in the fall... haven't sung in a chorus in over 20 years, so I'm sure I'm rusty.

Mike, Sam's, like Wally World, seems to me like a ship with no rudder. It's a bunch of people running around, half of whom are totally clueless and consider customers a nuisance. A few really work and try to help, but the deck is stacked against them. The Costo in N.O. would definitely be a step up, but I don't feel like having to drive 50 miles every time I want something from there.

BTW, I have a load of car, truck, & motorcycle magazines I've collected in the last few years I need to get rid of. I thought of putting them on eBay, but I'd really like to find a local charity that could really get some use out of them. I'm going to do a little more research on that.

Jamesbo, I'm still spinnin' due to your whirlwind appearance dis mawnin. BTW, I'll have to remember "past tents"... dat's a winner!

Dan, how is the convalescence coming?

Whelpt, have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.

p.s.: Uncle Bob's home is still for sale in N.C. I would heartily endorse it, and it comes totally furnished and with one of the best views in the mountains, if anybody knows anybody in the market in western N.C. The property includes a "shop" bldg they built with a complete upstairs apartment.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; June 6th, 2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old June 6th, 2015, 09:11 AM

Jamesbo, such the Cathy chatty this morn John, coming along good, though I am antsy, 'cuz there have been a couple of local car shows that I did not go to, due to the time limits imposed by the doc. as to how long that I can be on my feet...which I flaunt regularly! I'm going to try and do a rack of ribs tonight,, hopefully I don't maim myself in the process. I need one of those grill helper thingy's, ya know, a woman
Old June 6th, 2015, 10:48 AM

Sorry 'bout dat Happy D-day Olds friends
Old June 6th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Captain Starfire

Great catch, Jamesbo!

With all the WWII stuff I've been watching, you'd think I'd have said sumpin'
Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Sorry 'bout dat Happy D-day Olds friends
Yeah, Dan, I'd rather have an empty belly than two broken legs & a burnt-up patio... Be careful, hombre.
Old June 6th, 2015, 11:17 AM

another new guy, don't get me wrong my name has no bearing on the performance of any OLDSMOBILE how do I post my photos here ?
Old June 6th, 2015, 12:43 PM

Go to post reply on the left of the screen and scroll down to "Manage Attachments", hit that tab and then browse to choose from your pics, hit "select" to upload up to five pics at a time, or post a url from a photo hosting site to upload more than that.
Old June 6th, 2015, 01:41 PM

I jes saw my 1st amg 6.3 gullwing up close an personal. Never have been much of a fan of "Hitler's revenge" but if sum body [like John or Mike] got quarter mil layy'in round do'in nutt'in I think I might like one
Old June 6th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Captain Starfire

Chump change

To quote my dearly beloved but deceased Pappy, "We'll get you one in each color..."

BTW, I shaved my head last week, so if I was caught driving around in one of those, folks might get the wrong idea...

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I jes saw my 1st amg 6.3 gullwing up close an personal. Never have been much of a fan of "Hitler's revenge" but if sum body [like John or Mike] got quarter mil layy'in round do'in nutt'in I think I might like one
Old June 6th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Almost 90 today. Now that's what I'm talking about. Though my AC is working overtime. Tomorrow is supposed to be another good one and then rain on Monday. Hm.

Jamesbo are you talking about a new car or one of the original Gullwings? Now those cars are sexy. You have to be nimble to get in and out, as the door sill is about two feet wide.

Welcome Gutless. I've got a 4 door of your car that had a tree run into it at about 50. I was going to do something with it and drive it around all smashed but it's too far gone so now I'm going to pull it all apart. Oh well.

Big Friday tonight. Hope I get off early in the morning because I gotta go look at something tomorrow afternoon. Then a nice 10 day stretch where I'm Delta-free. Well, as much as I want to be anyway.

Okay gonna hit the road. Have a good night everyone.
Old June 6th, 2015, 04:44 PM

One a these me thinks

Old June 6th, 2015, 05:42 PM

A sombering video of WWII casulties via graphs, it's long. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...usaolp00000592
Old June 7th, 2015, 04:51 AM

Mawn'in

Yep dat's de one only de one I saw was silver

I've always thought thar's a dude sitt'in in Deusdorf or sum whar dat wakes up and says, I think I need a new swimm'in pool, Let's change de numbers on de back of a Benz and jack de price up 20 grand. De americans will jump on it

I'll jes put dis in a corner along with my Amphi and my w-30 drop top [wit m-22.]

Don't want to have ta rent hanger space from Mike
Old June 7th, 2015, 05:03 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah the night was going so well. A couple of light checks and we'd be done. Except we found a crack on some structure and everything ground to a halt. Best laid plans...

Jamesbo I'm already trying to figure out how I can put an addition onto the shop. It backs up to a fairly steep slope, so I'm thinking I could put in a walk out basement.

That's a beautiful car there. There's an original rotting away in Cuba. Gull wing doors what a great idea. You can get into a pretty tight parking space and not have to worry about not having enough room to open the door.

I can't decide if I want to try staying up or if I'll sleep for a little while. I'll have the answer after a nice hot shower. Looks like it's gonna be a great day, don't want to miss too much of it.

And Sunday morning coming down.
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Captain Starfire

Hola, all....

'Nudder hot one in da' Swamp.

The miserable grill from Sam's has a dented up bottom... looks like one of the genius stock folks rammed it with the forklift. Can't seem to win here. We'll figure out sumpin'.

Mike, hope you take a nap. No substitute!

Dan, thanks for posting that. That is mighty staggering. I'm not totally ignorant of WWII stuff, but I've never seen the numbers tallied in quite the way that guy did... and a very nice graphic presentation, I might add.

Whelpt, the heat awaits... chores to be dun. Armadillos have been digging and ants have been mounding in my beautifully mulched beds. Y'all have a great day of the Sun, Oldsmofriends.
Old June 8th, 2015, 03:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Werm. Koffee time and I'll be back. It was a busy weekend.
Old June 8th, 2015, 04:19 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Already sore. Didn't sleep great. have a day.
Old June 8th, 2015, 04:20 AM

Mawn'in all

Geeze Louise Allan, Can ya say insomnia

Welp, Tis Monday so......................
Old June 8th, 2015, 04:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

In somneeya? Nope I was bushed last night an went to bed early. It's so nice out right now and de birds chirping away were like a nice gentle wake up call.

Have fun at de links Jim.

Clint, I got it all done. Couple questions.
1- the car tracks straight and true with those new struts. Should I still get the alignment done?
2- I'd be curious what a shop would charge for the work. I only paid parts cost with a 35% corporate discount. Here's a list of what was done:
..new front struts
..new rotors, calipers, pads and brake hoses, bleed system
..drain and flush rad, r&r reservoir and clean, top up new coolant. New rad hoses installed.
..replace fuel filter
..drain trans and replace filter. 5 quarts new ATF
..oil change
..misplace one set of keys?

Hey, dis be the 19000 post.

Last edited by Allan R; June 8th, 2015 at 04:38 AM.
Old June 8th, 2015, 04:46 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Mornin,
Sunny all weekend and rain last night. Perfect growing season thus far.

Going to look at a few w30s this week if I can get away

19000...wow...that is a lot of conversing

Have a day friends
Old June 8th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Beautiful out. And it's car washing day so I'm going to be doing just that. The fleet has been neglected all winter, time to change that.

Allan that's a lot of work. You have to be a contortionist to get that fuel filter. When I have the motor and trans out of my car I'm going to figure out how to relocate it. That and the oil filter. Well, maybe that's why my subframe hasn't rusted, because it gets a regular coating of oil when I change the filter.

Ted I'm not going to look at a W30...

John you guessed it. I made it as far as the bedroom and my comfy bed called me. Slept till about 1 then got up and got quite a bit done.

Jamesbo give whitey what-for.

Okay headed to the Awful house. Have a good Monday everyone.
Old June 8th, 2015, 05:36 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, not really. I took off the air box and battery holder to get to the trans filter and then took off the drivers side inner fender splash shields. The car was up on stands about 20" in the air so getting those 10mm speed nots wasn't really hard especially with a deep socket. I pulled the 10 amp fuel pump fuse and drained fuel rail pressure with the Schraeder valve. Still got around a half cup of fuel spilled though. The toughest part of the filter was getting that end by the elbow off. Had to cut the hose and that plastic fitting underneath. The new filter has a clamp there. Quick release clip worked fine on the other end. Only tedious part is getting those other two lines clipped into the grooves on the side of the plastic mount. Hey it's all good, no leaks! I didn't take any pics, sorry bout dat. But you know what it looks like. I don't mind the filter location. It keeps it out of the areas where road crud flies around.

After alls said and done with all these new parts it's safe to drive but still only a 750.00 car.

Last edited by Allan R; June 8th, 2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old June 8th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Always room for one more

Allan your car must be different than the twin cam. I had my car up at least 20" and the top connection was borderline inaccessible. Couldn't get it from the top or the bottom. I "accidentally" got the top connection off by using angled needlenose plyers. Went to grab something else and got ahold of those and thought, what the heck nothing else is working. Trouble is there's precious little room under the hood so there's no good place for relocating. As it is some things are behind the bumper...

I'll take a 750.00 car all day long. Don't have to worry about door dings, rock chips, someone stealing it. Don't have to worry about keeping things original or taking it to a dealer for service.

Okay, on tap is washing the truck, Cadillac, Mustang, and if I'm done before the sun gets onto the driveway, the Airstream, Corvette, and blue van. Then later I'm going to the shop to hook up the flatbed. Hm I wonder if I should wash it.
Old June 8th, 2015, 11:52 AM

Mike, tanks fer wash'in dem cars. My garden needs sum rain

Not a bad day 44/43
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo it's clouding up a little here but there's still plenty of blue sky. I got the Mustang, Cadillac, truck, and half the blue van washed. I didn't do a good job on any of them but they are all improved. Went through 10 gallons of wash water, that was enough.

Gonna go reapply some speed tape to the smashed Oldsmobile then go get the trailer. Got a good charger on the Suburban so maybe I can get it started up. Then if I have time I'll put a little more effort towards the Cadillac.

Okay break is over.
Old June 8th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Allan your car must be different than the twin cam. I had my car up at least 20" and the top connection was borderline inaccessible. Couldn't get it from the top or the bottom.
I don't think so? Does the Drivers side of the engine compartment look like this?

Old June 8th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Always room for one more

Yes for the most part, but my fuel filter sits further down and has a "quick release" (which isn't and doesn't) on both ends. I don't remove anything to access the trans filter, just scrape up my hand reaching up there. I wouldn't mind relocating that one as well.

The Suburban is a bust. After charging a couple hours with a good charger, it spun nicely but got no gas to the carb. It would kick on starting fluid so it has spark. As they'd say in my part of town, I couldn't get it crunk. Some other day I'm going to take the pump off, again, and reinstall it being careful to get the arm positioned right. In my opinion this is not a terrific design. I was pretty confident I had it right. There's only about 8 gallons of fuel in the tank, maybe it isn't reaching the pickup.
Old June 8th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Taking off the air box to access the trans filter is only a matter of 3 bolts and a single plastic clip and one sensor to dosconnet. Much easier to get the trans filter. I also found that even with the trans case drained the filter puked a bunch of fluid down the front of the case. Easy cleanup on aisle 3 with the airbox out of the way. I guess to each their own. I took advantage of the airbox removal to clean it out before reinstalling. My fuel filter has only 1 quick connect at the bottom. If you have 2 it must be special. All the fuel filters I saw were 1 quick connect. Same filter for SL1 and SL2. You probably are referring to the connection for the schraeder valve? Some of the newer gen 2 and 3 saturns had the fuel filter mounted on the underside rear in front of the rear wheels if you're looking for that option.

No worries. Whatever floats your boat works. I like taking things apart to find out how they work or were designed. Next thing I'm going to do is take out the cluster trim and find out why the cluster is rattling. Then I'm going to take off the outer door skin on the drivers side and replace the lock cylinder that someone busted. Need to find a donor car in the boneyard with a key still in it I guess. GM doesn't stock these parts anymore. The guy at the parts counter said even if I could order one it would likely cost close to 80.00 just for the cylinder. That's just crazy talk.
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Always room for one more

Why not get the cylinder from the junkyard and have it rekeyed at a locksmith? I was at the GMC place recently, they are the ones who are the "official" Saturn people for the area, looking for hubcaps for my Mom's Aura. He said Saturn parts are hard to get these days. That's too bad. Maybe that can be my new empire, selling used Saturn parts.

The speed tape on the Olds from last time is still holding up, so I taped up the car cover a little bit and that's that. By the time I get around to doing anything with that car it will have returned to basic elements. I'm a bad Olds parent.
Old June 8th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I didn't know they could do that. Yes, then I'll get it and have it re-keyed. The one that was in the car was destroyed when some yahoo tried to punch it out and broke the retaining ring. There are about 5 SL1 and SL2's in the boneyard right now. Taking off the outer door skin is easy peasy. 30 torx, 15 torx, 10 mm socket and a scraper to lift the fuzzy trim and take off the inside door bezel for the mirror.

What's speed tape? Does it make the car go faster? Or is it something that's just a quick fix till a real repair can be done?
Old June 8th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Always room for one more

Where was I reading about uncooperative sellers? This guy I saw tonight certainly would fit that description.

Went to see a Jeep. Vague pictures on the internet looked okay, guy says there's no rust, interior is perfect, runs but not great. So I get there, I see rust in the quarters, the interior is worn, and it doesn't run. Oh but a mechanic friend is coming tomorrow to get it to run. He wanted 2500. I said, what would you take as it sits? He said he has more than that into it and it has to be close. I said, I was thinking about half. Nope. I said, I haven't heard it run, I haven't driven it, all his claims of it runs good and shifts good and the Qtrac doesn't make any noise doesn't mean squat and it doesn't matter to me how much he has in it. So he won't budge. I said, when your mechanic gets it running perfectly what's the number going to be? He said 2500. Oddly enough, if it actually runs good it will be worth it. And it's orange.

Allan speed tape is an aluminum tape that we use on the outside of the airplane if we need to cover sealer that hasn't dried, help fair a dent that has time on it to fix, or what have you. Very heavy, very sticky, sometimes called 600mph tape. This car had a tree fall on it so I use speed tape to cover the broken glass. Works pretty good, it doesn't leak.

Okay it's late, and I missed Starsky and Hutch. Got some Amphi club stuff to do then off to bed.
Old June 8th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Where was I reading about uncooperative sellers?
Rob71nLady72 Search for the elusive 68-72 Vista Cruiser.