The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2016, 09:04 AM
Always room for one more

High noon.

Just got back from three hours of the Awful house. Been raining off and on and everything is a muddy mess, so not much to do today anyway.

Hi Clint.

Jamesbo I've figured it out. The **** is worried about a pickup I have sitting with a cover over it. I'm going to put the pickup on one of the trailers. Trailers don't have to have tags on them. I'll use the cover on something else. Problem solved, and it will look better, everyone being able to see the pickup now.

Come to find out a guy in Vermont has one of those cars that I went to see last week. He said he'd make me a heck of a deal, which I'd take, but need to figure out how to get it all the way down here. Any ideas? Any ideas that I'd actually do?

Well, gotta find something to do. See ya's.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:14 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Well, I went to serve on a jury today and after driving to the courthouse, we were told that we were not needed. The judge will decide the case. Would have liked to have heard it, it sounded interesting. It involved a car accident with a customized limousine.

Dan/Mike/Jamesbo - thanks for the complements. I was fortunate when my grandmother gave me the car, it was a great starting point. It had 53k on it with some minimal rust around some of the wheel wells. Otherwise it did not need much. I have always maintained it myself so that always helps.

Funny story, when I was in college, a friend of mine challenged me to a race with his 68 Camaro. He had a worked 327 in it and thought it wouldn't even be a contest. We had an area that was pretty desolate and we marked off a quarter mile. He ended up being right, expect it was the other way around. I ended up beating him by about 2 car lengths. He got out ahead of me but I ran him down with all the torque the motor put out. All through my quiet exhaust which sounded wimpy compared to his 327 with headers.

Have a good night all.
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:39 AM

Mawn'in all

Elsie still comes and goes with a vengeance

John, You OK? I heard sum parts of the swamp got hammered

Darrell, I wish I had my mom's Deuce and a Quarter. Come to think of it, I wish I had some of the times I had in the back seat of that car at the drive in.

Mike, I think ya could make a career out phuque'in with dem I can't stand those kinda folks.

Welp, GTG to Walmart will post pics soon

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old February 24th, 2016, 08:46 AM

Hey John, another C.O. bud, wondering if the storm missed you. Did someone mention back seat? Back when I was a younger version of myself, I took a young gal to the drive in to see Magnum Force with ole Clint Eastwood, when we got back to her house, her dad quizzed me on the movie, and I answered to his satisfaction....except what he didn't know was that I had already seen the movie before taking his daughter to see it, so no reason to focus on it whilst in the back seat!
Old February 24th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just got back from the shop. Got that truck up on the trailer, then parked everything up by the street so everyone could see it when they drive past. Hope she asks me why I did that. Good thing I had that extra egg at the Awful house this morning, that was some hard work. Some day I'll have a nice trailer with a winch.

Heard Pensacola had a bad tornado last night, so I called my Mom and she said it was two miles from them. All their patio furniture ended up in the pool but otherwise they were okay. It took out some apartments and ripped up a bunch of trees.

A friend of mine was flying through yesterday so I went up to the airport to see him, and just before I left I let the dogs out and of course the other dog was out and mine came in all muddy, head to toe. So they both got an impromptu bath. Not what I had planned. My neighbors are leaving for New Jersey in a week, I hate to see them go but it does mean that that dog leaves as well. Don't know where it's going, and I don't care. I know it isn't going to New Jersey.

Gotta find something constructive to do at my house this afternoon. I consider the morning wasted. It's my last day off so it has to count. Not sure if we're getting more rain later, I didn't know I'd have to complain about rain in the winter, too.

Have a good Hump Day everyone.
Old February 24th, 2016, 11:52 AM

Back Seat

Mike's heard dis back seat story

I bought my 69 442 drop top in 1975 from a friend of mine's grand father who bought it for his niece, After she drove it her 4 boys drove it through high school [yes they ripped the rear end out rolling down hill and dumping it into drive to light them up]

After I drove it as a DD, I let my 2 nephews drove it through high school.

When I got it back, I restored everything except the back seat. After 6 high school boys I turned the back seat into a shrine.

It's also a testimony as to how well it was built.
Old February 24th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Captain Starfire

Hey guys-- all's well at da' Plantation -- thanks fer axin'.... One twister did land about 20 miles or so from here (Livingston) (not too bad); but the worst was the one at the RV Park in Convent, LA -- where I go every September.

A friend of mine just went to work at Motiva in Convent about 2 weeks ago. The guy she shares an office with was one of the 36 or so who were injured at the RV Park... it messed the poor guy up pretty good; he's still in the hospital; but thank the Lord he lived and is expected to make a complete recovery. Two others at the Park weren't as fortunate.

Dan, just talked to my buddy in MI and I think I'm going to try and make Bay Harbor (car & boat show) this year. I've always wanted to go, and I'm going to scratch it off my bucket list, Good Lord willing, in June. Maybe see you there?

Whelpt, got up at 3:15 this morning to bring Better Half to airport in Da' Big Eezie to go see Mom. I feel like I need a nap....

Y'all have a great Humpity, Oldsmopals.
Old February 24th, 2016, 08:58 PM

John...we'll see. Looks to be a really nice area, a 4-5 hour drive for me. Jamesbo, I believe that is the first pic that I have seen of your '69, very nice.
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:11 AM

Mawn'in all

Gett'in colder but Elsie's left de building.

John, Glad you're OK

Mike, What I the Wild Wild World of Sports do you do for 3 hours in an Aweful House. Did they have a "Shoe Show" going on?

Thanks fer de compliments on my drop top. I'd hate to think how many miles it has on it

Have a GREAT DAY Olds friends
Old February 25th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik check-in -- finally slept a few really good hours last night. Felt (and feels) great.
It's in the 30s here after that front blew in; nights will be in that neighborhood for a while now.

Dan, just throwing that at you; I know it's a ways from you, but I'd hate to go up there and not even let you know. I've heard that show is an absolute eye-popper. BIG BUCKS up that way, and Jay Leno type cars (Deusenbergs, Cords, Pierce Arrows, Bentleys, etc.) are the norm. I must say I was a bit disappointed with the St. Ignace show as far as the cars were concerned; kind of a "been there, done that" show -- although the parade across the Mackinac Bridge was really fun.

Trying to see where Mike says he was at A.H. for 3 hours.

It's TAX TIME for B-O-P. Y'all stay warm, Oldsmofriends.
Old February 25th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

A little windy but sunny today. A little cool as well. No rain and that's a plus.

Jamesbo I've seen where the car is parked but I've never seen that car close up. Sure is pretty. Love Trophy Blue. I don't know why I thought the seats were white.

IE three hours at the Awful house. There are a few guys there who are retired, and they hang out for a little while, then they leave and come back later, just sort of lollygagging. Once in a while one or some of us will be in a talking mood and we'll just hang out shootin' the breeze until someone sees that it's noon so we all leave. If it's raining or really cold that helps to keep us there. I like talking with everyone but luckily the three hour stint doesn't happen all that often.

John why have you been sleeping poorly? I'm not sure if I'll ever get good sleep again. If the dogs aren't waking me up I'm waking up on my own thinking where are the dogs? When I had my other dog, after he died it was weeks before I would quit doing that. Then it was weeks after that I didn't feel guilty after sleeping good all day(night). Whatever your malady I hope the good slumbers keep up.

Okay off to work. It's Monday. Heard from the guy at my new job and he wants to meet with me on Monday at 7am. Great. That's the middle of my off days. Eh, one more step to getting me out of my current place. You know I hope I like this new job, because I have to stay for a year before I can bid again.

Have a good evening everyone. One more and it's the weekend.
Old February 25th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Captain Starfire

https://historicvehicle.org/a-valent...A%20Newsletter

Just for Jamesbo -- although it's a tad late for Valentine's Day.

Mike, I could write a tome, but still not explain it 100%. But I will say that for me, sleeping solo is much more conducive to dreamland!

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 25th, 2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:32 AM

Mawn'in all

A mite chili dis mawn'in

John, Tanks, loved it

Mike, So ya recognized de road with the split rail fence? Nope, No white blue, blue, blue, blue and blue [wit a deluxe blue 69 one year only steering wheel ] May have ta take her out today fer a spin

Have a great day Olds friends
]
Old February 26th, 2016, 08:19 AM

Nice, and A/C to boot!.
Old February 26th, 2016, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Nice, and A/C to boot!.

As Rob would say, " Southern life support system"
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Captain Starfire

Jamesbo,

To get musical, that looks as sweet as Tupelo honey (Van Morrison). All you need is a tape of "Blue" in the deck (my convalescing girlfriend, Joni Mitchell). (BTW, remember when cars had "tape decks"?)

That interior looks 'bout the same color as my SF's. But very cool steering wheel. Love those 1-yr.-only features.

Overall, other words come to mind whilst pondering the beautimus picture: Cerulean (a good X Files color) and Stratomist (a good Buick color).

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 26th, 2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:41 AM

Yeah John, De 69 H/o had a tape deck with and Oldsmobile demo tape in it. but alas
Old February 26th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slept good for 6 hours, then the dog next door got my two to barking and that was about it. Got up and did a few little things around the house, so it seemed like a bonus day. Second time around tonight, no telling what's in store.

Jamesbo if that picture would have been taken at a different time, there would be a black pickup with a trailer in it. Speaking of trailers...

I'd pay for a ride in that car.

John I get you. I have a queen size bed for little old me, but should I find myself with company, I seem to only get a little bitty corner. Something to be said for those couples who have their own bedrooms.

Well the dogs are eying me, they want to go out before work. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old February 26th, 2016, 07:07 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. A cold and windy one here today. Another week gone by, March here we come. All the snow is gone and some of the spring flowers are starting to come out.

On a car note, since getting my Silverado last year, I keep getting junk mail from GM to buy another vehicle. I noticed that GM, like all the other manufacturers, keep advertising all these new technologies like turbocharged smaller engines, direct fuel injection, lane departure assist, automatic braking, no ignition key etc....I wonder if I'm the only one turned off by all this crap. The more complicated they keep making these things, the more I want to use an old car for everyday. Can't imagine keeping one of these new cars out of warranty with how complex they've become.

Anyone else here feel the way I do or am I just getting old before my time?

Jamesbo - that's a pretty car, love that interior.

Mike - I think you jinxed yourself last night. You said the other day the dogs won't let you sleep and they got you again.

Enjoy the weekend and have a good night all.
Old February 26th, 2016, 09:02 PM

Darrell, I keep getting offers to trade in a Chebby that I got rid of in 2011, so yep, it's annoying, plus the offers are from a dealership that I would never do business with.
Old February 27th, 2016, 05:54 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili but spose to warm up

De cotton pick'in furnace went out. Got 2 fire places and one wood stove on full blast

Got a family com'in then headed to de mountains

Have a GREAT day OLDS friends
Old February 27th, 2016, 10:01 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik g'mernin -- cherry blossom day in da' swamp.... a tad cool, but that's OK. Might hit mid 60s, but was in 30s last night. Big recycling event this morning. Had been loading the truck during the week with all the stuff we've accumulated over the last couple months. With all the boxes flattened, everything fills the bed, and I have to push it down a bit to get the soft cover rolled down. What a good feelin' go get rid of it all -- again.

Going to take Aunt Carmy out for a little dinner this evening; hopefully give her a change of scenery for at least a couple hours, and make her new-found friends envious. ;-)

Y'all have a great resto'weekend, Oldsmofriends.
Old February 27th, 2016, 03:09 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah Friday. It was supposed to be nice the whole weekend, but I see rain had to creep it's nasty self in now and again. I really need to get working on my wall. The lake is down because some other people were having trouble with their wall, so I need to act fast to take advantage. Because they won't lower the lake for me.

John have a nice dinner with Aunt Carmy. I've got a porch load of bags with tin cans that I need to take to the recycler. Also have some scrap laying around I could collect and probably get enough to pay for the gas to take it over there.

Darrell I'm right there with you. It's all unnecessary. Sure, I like my power windows and AC but I don't need parking assist and lane reminder and, and, because that's why I'm driving the car. If I didn't want to drive the car I would take a bus.

Jamesbo hope you got your furnace fixed. Although heat from the fireplace and wood stove is way more better. And cheeper. How about some pictures of the wagon on the split rail fence road?

Okay off to it. Have a good night everyone.
Old February 28th, 2016, 05:30 AM

Maqn'in

Mite chili in de hillls

Mike, Ya want a pic of de Vista Cruiser in de road or a pick of de mule wagon?

Dat thing is about shot, I drug it back from Parrot Ga [Scot knows where dat is] about 20 years ago and have rebuilt it a bout 10 times. It's on it's last leg, I'm afraid
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Here's a picture I took last night. I'm standing on the wingtip of an MD88. I was helping a guy do some work in the fuel tank. My reward for that was coming home smelling like fuel.

Beautiful day out. Gonna go get some block and start repairing my wall. I called the guy in charge of the lake and I got the impression the others who are needing to work on their walls are not in a big hurry. Hopefully I can get my work done before the water starts coming up.

Jamesbo you can post a picture of the mule wagon if it has a big block. The Vista Cruiser of course! Must be time for rebuild #21. How do you keep mice out of the cars up there in the woods?

Okay gotta get going. Most of the day is gone and I need to see some progress. Have a good one everyone.
Old February 28th, 2016, 11:38 AM
Captain Starfire

Not a bad looking day in da' Swamp... should get the lead out and go for a ride on the bike, but I prolly won't.

Mike, that's an impressive picture! So do you be sure and walk on the spots that say "Do not step!"? (I guess that's not really funny... but it just strikes me as interesting, 'cause I'd assume that anybody who's out walking on a MD88 wing would know what's sensitive and what's not... unless you're Kramer, or the monster from the famous William Shatner Twilight Zone episode.)

Aunt Carmy changed her mind last night and decided to play Bingo at the home, so I went and took her out for beignets and coffee ... one of her favorites... after dinner.

I know Jamesbo & others know what a beignet is; but for those who don't, they're the square powdered "donuts" they sell at the "Morning Call" and "Cafe du Monde" coffee & donut stands that started out in the French Quarter in the 1800s. Cafe Du Monde is still there. Morning Call is not there, but now has locations around the metro area.

When I was a kid and Morning Call was in the Quarter, at night you'd pull up you car and turn on your headlights and get curb service. I might have said this before, but everything on the menu was 15 cents: a cup of café au lait (or "coffee with milk" -- really, coffee & chicory with milk -- a delicious liquid), a half pint of milk or chocolate milk, or an order of beignets (3).

Last night at the Kenner Cafe du Monde I gets an order of beignets (they are exactly the same as they've always been, I must say) and a cup of café au lait (both for Aunt Carmy) and the bill was $5.46. Good thing I can find a little humor in it (just a very little). Now I know I sound like my grandpaw.

Whelpt, have a great one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 28th, 2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old February 28th, 2016, 12:33 PM

John, I love dat stuff, I got a box of Beignet mix I've never opened

Mike, If you learn me how to get pics do download from my phone, I'd be happy to. Unfortunately, One of de super Model's cats was playing hockey with my camera on de kitchen counter and it's now toast.

Anyway, de Vista only got a 1/4 tank of gas, Not sure I can make it down de drive and back up again

Here's some old pics for your viewing pleasure
Old February 28th, 2016, 12:45 PM

Mike, I build square boxes and drill a hole in one end and make the lid so it will swizzle to open and close with a peg in one corner and a screw in the opposite one. I then screw and empty tuna fish can to the bottom and load it with this stuff. That way no cats/dogs can get to it

I buy it in large buckets

FWIW, I've had mice chew a whole in the lid of the bucket to get to de stuff Must be like cocaine to them
Old February 28th, 2016, 01:07 PM

This **** gave me nightmares as a kid, but we still had to watch!
Old February 28th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo you're going to convert me to the 69s yet. Them are some pretty cars. By the way, I didn't know your Vista Cruiser was a Pontiac.

John I don't know how you can see that, but for those without John's eagle-eye vision, right behind the black lines running down the middle of the wing, is a placard that says NO STEP AFT . Those panels behind the black lines are the flaps, they move aft and down, creating more lifting surface and allows the plane to fly slower and keep its altitude. The skin on them isn't as thick as the upper wing and if you stomp on them they dent and lose their effectiveness.

Went to Lowes and got 18 blocks, 120lb morter mix, and 180lb cement mix. Got it down to the lake and I'll start digging this evening, and work all day tomorrow after I get back from a meeting. The 18 blocks won't last long, but I couldn't get a pallet and that's all I could fit on the little cart at the store.
Old February 28th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Captain Starfire

Mike, I guess it depends on your seat in da' plane. I love me a window seat. ;-) The wall sounds like a formidable task. Hope it all comes out well....

Dan, now that's some scary stuff! Was lamenting (as usual) about how now, "scary" just means a lot of CGI. I don't think The Exorcist had any computer animation, and I didn't sleep for a month after seeing it.

Like you, when I'd be watching all that stuff, I couldn't turn it off. My parents had a favorite expression when they saw me engrossed in the spook stuff: "Spread the quilt!" That meant around 11 or 12 at night when I'd be scared to death in my lonely room at the end of the hall, I'd come into their bedroom and "spread the quilt" and sleep on their floor to try and quell my poor fears. Another T.Z. that I still remember seeing for the first time was the one where the woman kept dreaming she was visiting the morgue in the hospital she was in, and that scary lady would say "Room for one more, honey!" I get goosebumps and have to laugh even 50-something years later....

Anybody remember this episode of Night Gallery?

Jamesbo, don't think I saw your V.C. Mighty cool! I've always had a soft spot for the '69s, although my spot is soft for '68s as well, and of course, '70s, and oh yeah, '72s.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; February 28th, 2016 at 03:07 PM.
Old February 28th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Pontiac? No comprende
Old February 28th, 2016, 05:21 PM
Always room for one more

Wasn't that the Pontiac advertisement, put a tiger in your tank, with the tail hanging out of the gas tank.

John I thought you could see that from the picture. I will say that there's a NO STEP sign inside the main gear doors, right where there's a perfect step...

I rather enlightened myself today working on the wall. I started digging and digging and then looked up to see how far I had to dig, and decided I'd just rebuild the present wall instead of build a new one. I can use the same footing and not have to put in a new one.
Old February 28th, 2016, 05:56 PM

Anybody remember this episode of Night Gallery?
Argh, the dreaded earwig!!! We believed that would get us for sure! Later revisited with a differently named critter in the Star Trek movie: "The Wrath of Khan".
Old February 29th, 2016, 03:04 AM

No smack whitey todau, Gotta take a dear friend from de mountains down to get sum kinda fancy 3 hour stress test. He's 87 and drives but should be driving after medical procedures

Originally Posted by slantflat
Wasn't that the Pontiac advertisement, put a tiger in your tank, with the tail hanging out of the gas tank.
Nope Exxon [as in Valdese] FWIW He horse shoes were Gulf

Old February 29th, 2016, 07:05 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got up at 0'Dark Thirty to go see a guy about my new job. Turns out I had started it and didn't even know it. Met this guy at 7 and took a little tour, asked some questions, learned a few things, then he says, so, if you leave now you'll be okay to be back tonight at 8pm? I said, I haven't been released from my department yet and haven't heard a word from my foreman. He says, well you're on the schedule for tonight. Hm. So now I have to use a holiday to not go in, and I also can't take the remaining 4 hours of my vacation that renews on Friday. And I was there for two hours for free this morning. What a company man I am.

Jamesbo I found this. Have a good time in the city today.

Gonna go find my sledge hammer and start knocking down old wall. I'm going to be stiff as a board this evening but it ain't gonna knock itself down.

Happy Leap Year Monday everyone.
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:35 AM

Headed home from de hills

Boy did I miss a beautiful day to smacky whitey [or bust up concrete blocks]

Check in soon

Old March 1st, 2016, 06:36 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik check-in and G'mawnin'... Workin' on the to-do list; might actually work on the SF today; miracles never cease. ;-)

Dan, I think we slept with earplugs for a couple weeks after seeing that Rod Serling masterpiece. Didn't even remember the 'Wrath of Khan" connection, although I remember liking that movie.

Have a great one, Oldsmofriends.
Old March 1st, 2016, 08:25 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just got back from the Code office. The **** called me yesterday and said I had to move the school bus. School busses aren't allowed in a subdivision. This after she told me it needed to be registered, which cost me 600 bucks. So I went to find out just what code tells me I can't park my private vehicle on my private property. It isn't that it's a school bus per se, even though it's a private vehicle its gross weight is over 26000 and that makes it a commercial vehicle, and they aren't allowed. Turns out I know the one supervisor and she said, I think you are renovating it into an RV(RVs are exempt). She also said that if any of the other code people resist that, then I can expect to have to move it. I'm just gonna sell it. They've taken all the fun out of having it. Rat bastards.

So, beautimus day here in the Greater Stockbridge Area. Got a lot of running around to do, doubt I get any work done on the wall today. Jamesbo yesterday the concrete blocks busted themselves up.

Saw a couple guys at the Awful house this morning I hadn't seen in a while, so that was good. The one guy said he's going to buy a brand new dump truck. He said it will pay for itself and then some by the summer.

Okay have a good day everyone.
Old March 1st, 2016, 12:38 PM

Elsie's on her way

Mike, Ya gonna back fill de new wall with the old blocks?