The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Friday. Last night we were on track for leaving ridiculously early, until the plane developed some bizarre problem we messed with for three hours and then turned over. Turns out someone moved a spoiler lockout lever and didn't tell anyone, so we were chasing a ghost. By that time the powers that be had determined that the plane was a serious problem and wanted to throw all these parts at it. Unnecessary, but hey that's above my pay grade.

John I hope the better half has a good visit, and you get over your croup soon. Have you done any work to the Starfire's front end? How do you like the paint?

That's okay Jamesbo. I said this very thing to a guy I hadn't seen in years. He said, have you bought anything? I said, I haven't seen you in three years. What haven't I bought?

Not much rain today, but everything is a mess and it's cold. I miss the drought.

Okay time to hit it. Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 21st, 2016, 05:58 AM

Mawn'in all

Elsie's left fer a while but may get sum ice in de mountains

It's Ok, because I've recycled sum construction materials and have everything a fella needs
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:36 AM

Afternoon all,

Jamesbo, that is a seriously cool use of a piece of porcelain!!

Well, the weather has finally turned in my part of the UK and its now officially cold, frost on the windows etc.

The country nearly came to a halt after a quarter inch of snow fell.

Bee-oh-Pee, Obviously I'm not from your parts but what's the issue with all of this confederate stuff and do I need to remove the confederate cushions from the back of my Cutlass?

Started the Cutlass yesterday after a month of inactivity and she growled to life with a roar and a pop, went for a short ten mile ride just to keep everything turning over with no problems.

man-flu ..... Worse than childbirth - Official.
Old January 21st, 2016, 07:51 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all.... Whelpt, looks like I'll be fightin' a cold for a few days. Can't complain... I'm lucky I can deal w/ it at home, rather than spreading the joy throughout the community..

Jamebso, The Home Despot needs to sell those Privy-Tank-Cooler-Grilles. I'm surprised my neighbors didn't beat you to the idea (they prolly did).

Muggy & wet w/ mild temps now; spose to get into the 20s here on Saturday night, though.

Mike, I have the front end totally taken down now, and am cleaning components. It took me a good while to get the springs and control arms off, and boy, were they gooky. Lower ball joints had been replaced, but not upper. Only other thing that looks replaced were upper control arm bushings. Wasn't much left to lower bushings, and that was the real impetus to take 'er down as far as I am. I think the jackass undercoated over some mud in the inner fenders, so I'm going to have a bit more clean-up than I planned.

Springs scare the beetlejuice out of me, so I take my good-ol' time. The spring compressor I bought wasn't really suitable for getting these front ones out, but it helped to crunch them the final couple inches before removal. I haven't tried the paint yet...

Shouldn't be a problem when you visit Ponchatoula, London. ;-)

Whelpt, let me go get another lozenge and hurry up doing nothing. Have a great one, Oldsmofriends.
Old January 21st, 2016, 09:25 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

No rain like Jamesbo says, but it's still dreary out. Haven't heard a forecast for the south side, just gloom and doom for the north side.

Jamesbo that is brilliant.

John I feel the same way about springs. Soon your Oldsmobile will ride like a Cadillac. I get a kick out of commercials for foreign cars. They tout road feel like it's a good thing.

London the UK sounds like Atlanta. Mere mention of snow and the stores are wiped out completely.

Well, off to Year One. If I play my cards right, I'll be headed back just when afternoon traffic really gets going.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 03:07 AM
Always room for one more

Hm, good morning everyone. Soggy, tired worm.

It's been raining since mid afternoon yesterday, but must have thundered around 5 this morning because I woke up to two dogs up on the bed and in my face.

Had a good trip up to Year One. Saw a pair of red W30 fender wells in their scratch and dent pile, and saw a Year One-built 427, one of 500 and they wanted $50K. Even if this was the monster motor from hell, who would run it after spending that much money? The counter guy said, I don't see it going anywhere.

Gonna be an inside day today. Doesn't look like the rain will let up any time soon. This is one day I'm not complaining about the rain; north of the city is getting ice and snow.

Well, Awful house in an hour or so. Have a good Friday everyone.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 04:30 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike Hope it dries out. With all the rain in the winter does it at least not have the thunderstorms to go with it?

John, Be careful with that front end.

Welp, I may have found a tank for that wagon I'm working on. The local (Kinda about 45 minutes away) antique junkyard has a 70 Poncho wagon with a tank in it. I just need to see if it will work since the interchange is 71-72 only.
Found this Image. Isn't this thing cute?

Been in a real funk lately, but hopefully the warmer weather will help pull me out of it. The days are getting noticeably longer.

Have a day
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:30 AM

Mawn'in all

Like Mike said, Like a cow on a flat rock. De exigency de jour is de can't "treat" the roads because it would wash off.

Should be an interesting 24 hours

Clint, When I'm down, I've switched from the Chimp/Seal joke to Jay Leno chicken CPR.with Terry Bradshaw. Give it a google
Old January 22nd, 2016, 08:38 AM
Captain Starfire

Merinin', all... Elsie dried up around midnight last night and left things damp and dank. Chilli today and spose to get to 20s by Sat. nite.

Will do, Clint. There's a Buick GS like that out there, using, of course, an el Camino as a basis. They are really cool, and what a conversation piece. I'll bet there's more than one Ames piece on that little toy. I've found that those Ames guys have parts that fit Buicks that even Buick guys don't carry. Makes me (almost) want to own an Poncho. (My first car in H.S. was a '68 GTO, and I've always loved the '65 full sized coupes -- specifically the 2+2s and G-Ps.)

Mike, watch out on those roads headed to A.H. I'm stayin' in today except maybe to walk to end of road to fetch the mail. Went to the Ponchatoula Wally World yesterday to stock up on my Emergen-C, and that was the extent of my activity. It's giving me some time to do some reading and try and "master" this dern smart phone -- or at least some of the apps I've installed.

Whelpt, y'all have a dry & warm day. I'm sure Hiawassee is getting some flurries, along with some fairly deep mercury readings. Kinda' wish I was there to enjoy; but glad I ain't drivin' in it.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 22nd, 2016 at 08:46 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 10:20 AM

Well, I went to the car wash today to remove all of that Detroit salt, they may not get the snow that we do over here on the "Lake Effect" side of things, but they salt the bejeesus out of the highways. On the way back outside of Lansing, I stopped for gas, and thought that I should get all of that ice off of my headlights...except that it was a layer of salt! Well, off to work in a few, tomorrows fun day plans are to get the snow rake out and clear snow from the roof. Elsie frozen, many times over.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 06:01 AM

Mawn'in all

As usual Much to do 'bout nutt'in.

Slight dust'in of snow, Roads fine a few trees down. Wish the people reporting on TV would get out and do something productive.

John, Up in de mountains de got a couple of inches an sum power out.

Cool car Clint

Have a great weekend Olds friends
Old January 23rd, 2016, 06:28 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Slight dusting here. Though yesterday afternoon I looked out and there were huge snow flakes falling, it looked like lake effect. It was horrible, horrible! Now it's just cold and windy.

Clint that's a cool looking car. Is it real?

John all roads lead to Awful house. Actually things shouldn't be that bad this morning, there's been enough traffic so far to clear anything off that was there.

Getting a bit of a late start this morning, gotta get something meaningful done today. Stay warm everybody.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 08:59 AM
Captain Starfire

Sounds like all the Chicken Little's were full of birdseed, as usual. That's actually good news. We left the heat on 50* in da' mountains, so I'm sure the heat pump will still be getting a good exercising. I don't think we cracked 30 last night here in da' Swamp. Mercury read 34* at 7 this morning when I resurrected. Tonight we're spose to enter the deep freeze.

Didn't even make it up to the road to collect the mail yesterday. I might jump in the car today spin down to the post office to drop off a couple letters -- just to be sure things are doin' OK in downtown Ponchatoula w/out me.

Glad you got all that miserable salt off the car, Dan.

Have a great weekend, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 23rd, 2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 09:43 AM
GM Enthusiast

Hi everyone. Having fun watching the snow come down. Blizzard conditions all day so far and supposed to continue through the night. Over 10 inches already, supposed to make it to at least 2 feet. Gov declared a state of emergency so no one on the road except emergency vehicles.

Clint - I like that wagon. Did you find that pic on the internet or locally?

London - if that little shuts down where you live, you should show them pictures of where I am.

Dan - I hate it too when my ride is full of crap. Mine's clean right now, at least for another day when I drive it.
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:43 AM

Evening all,

Believe it or not your east coast weather is the leading story on our news channels, so I suppose it must be pretty bad.

Our weather has changed again, it's now mid 50s and blue skies and it's going to be a good weekend .

Please take care out their and remember to keep an eye on any older people in your neighbourhood.
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:40 AM

Mawn'in all

Clear and cold [mid 20's]

Mike, I no one is flying do ya still have ta go to werk?

Enjoy de rest of de weekend Olds friends
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Captain Starfire

Nippy one in da' Swamp, altho' not as frigid as they predikked, as usual. Saw 27 here, on a prediction of 24. But sunny and gorgeous outside; just that temps ain't gettin' out of the 40s. Think I'll sit here and fight the croup another day, since I can.

I guess everybody's thrilled about the championship games today ... and so am I; but the highlight for me will be the new X Files episode after the cheerin' and screamin'. Scully & Mulder have arisen!

Y'all stay warm!
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Hey John, some Buick pics for ya, The Avista concept.
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Captain Starfire

Wow, Dan.. pretty cool! I think I could live with that color, as well... Rather than a Buick, it looks more like something James bond would be tooling around in as of late (Jaguar or Aston). Maybe there's something to those newer god-awful Buick commercials???
Old January 24th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Pretty, pretty day out. I don't think it got over 50 like it was supposed to, but there was no wind and it was rather pleasant out and sunny.

Yes, Jamesbo, thankfully we still work if no one flies. After 9/11 when the government grounded everyone for a week, we still went to work. Other airlines laid off but we didn't. In fact, we were busier than we'd ever been. The planes were there, why not work on them. When we started flying again, pretty much every plane had a complete new shipset of tires and brakes, and all the time controls and MCOs were cleared.

Monday. No idea what's in store. My long weekend is this week so I'm already counting down. Need to find someplace to go for a day that's around here. Already did Warm Springs.

Okay have a good night everyone and I hope your week starts out good.
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:27 AM

Mawn'in all

Well,The cold left an it's a blue bird day til tomorrow when Elsie retuneth

Mike, Dat's interesting. Never knew they kept on werk'in.

John, Is Scully gonna return?

BTW, I was impressed with the Jag "simulator" impressed the Jag started

Clint, When I win de lottery could ya make me a Vista El Camino. Oh yeah 4 X 4 also fer all the Gawga Blizards

GTG funeral today. One of these days this is gonna catch on
Old January 25th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Captain Starfire

Ditto Jamesbo's weather forecast for down here -- but our bird might be just a tad less blue.

Jamesbo, it appears Dana will be back. She's been gettin' harder and harder to look at. In fact, by the end of Season 9 (and final movie), I found her to be more a distraction than an asset to the show (really, the character of Scully, combined with Gillian the actress). When they brought in Dogget and Reyes, I really liked them (especially Reyes). I'd give the 1st episode of "Season 10" a "C." I knew it would be tough to just hit the ground running; but I think they should have done a tad more "walking" before jumping directly back into the old schtick. It's fairly preposterous to think that after 14 years, the three (including Skinner) would find themselves back together the way it happened in this episode. But I'm going to try and continue to suspend disbelief in the hope that the magic will return. OK, I'm done with that.

Mike, do you think from time to time about what you'd be doin' now if you'd have accepted the package? Prolly be sick to death of jumping all those batteries off and shuffling vehicles b/w the two properties by now. ;-) I'm guessing you made a good decision at this point in your life.

Clint: Go Peyton! I'm hoping for a stellar performance by the Bronc's on 2/7; but I'm not optimistic, given Juice Newton's penchant for destroying his adversaries. The Charlotte vermin look unstoppable. (My apologies to Panthers fans; I can't help myself.) Maybe it was Juice's time with Rick Saban that crystallized my antipathy. Or maybe it's just that the last Saints game I went to (2007 maybe), the Panthers ripped us a new one -- and pretty much haven't looked back.

Darrell, you dug out yet?

Whelpt, today's airport day -- so I'll get out whether I want to or not. Have a great Moon Day, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 25th, 2016 at 08:57 AM.
Old January 25th, 2016, 09:34 AM

Well, John I watched the X Files last night, only to see that it continues this week in prime time when I'm working. Thought that it would play out on Sunday nights.
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Captain Starfire

I didn't know that 'til last night either, Dan. Just about everybody I know has cable and a DVR, but I'm the exception; so for me it's either watch it tonight or wait 'til it's on Netflix or DVD...

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, John I watched the X Files last night, only to see that it continues this week in prime time when I'm working. Thought that it would play out on Sunday nights.
Old January 25th, 2016, 03:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice out, got up to 56 today. Had to run a couple errands this morning so I didn't get home until 830. Eh, didn't miss much sleep and the dogs left me alone for the most part. Night Two is upon us.

John I absolutely made the right decision about not retiring. Do I wish I would have done it anyway? You bet. I'm tired of working on airplanes. I'm tired of my dumbass department. I'm tired of working midnights. Change is not as easy as one might think, but I keep at it thinking one day I'll escape. Had I taken the package I would have had my retirement money by now and would be making plans to head up to Oregon to retrieve all the auto parts to bring back here.

Found out my neighbor who shot and killed my other neighbor got off scott free. The police decided not to charge him with anything and closed the case. I think that stinks. The family, who has had their whole life ripped from them, gets nothing. No closure, no restitution, just a big empty hole in their lives.

Okay time to hit the pavement. Have a good evening everyone.
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:32 AM

Mawn'in all

Typical Hotlanta weather

Today it's gonna be in de 50's'

Mike, Jes curious.Why would you go to Oregon fer parts.why no Arizona

John, Missed Scully las nite. Is the guy who smokes and on oxygen still vertical?

GTG to de big city dis mawn'in

Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old January 26th, 2016, 08:25 AM

Is the guy who smokes and on oxygen still vertical?
The "Cigarette smoking man" is back, with some scar tissue, but frankly surviving that missile blast from the end of the series was unlikely, but I think he was such an abhorred bad guy that they brought him back for the viewers to boo & hiss some more.
Old January 26th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Captain Starfire

Wet one in da' Swamp, w/ mild temps until mercury drops tonite.

Yeah, "Cancer Man" (as he was known originally) was assumed to be a blowed-up woodpecker; but apparently, Chris Carter had other plans for him and his Morleys!

Even though he's despicable, he's one of almost everybody's favorite characters. I'm crazy about him, myself... as I was for "Mr. X," who got killed off about midway in the series.

Can't say I've seen William B. Davis in anything else???

Y'all have a dry one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 26th, 2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old January 26th, 2016, 02:00 PM
MOTORHEAD

life ain't nothin
but afunny funny riddle

thank god i'm a country boy

Last edited by 11971four4two; January 26th, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:14 AM

Mawn'in all

Wet last nite but clear'in up dis mawn'in

Headed to de lake my bud [98 years old] ain't feel'in good and need to check on him an help him out with his dog

John,Some one younger dan Mike was trying top splain "on demand TV to me so I could see Scully again. It's kinda like my phone. I'm not techie enough to figger it out../

Have3 a GREAT day Olds friends
Old January 27th, 2016, 06:43 AM
Captain Starfire

It seems Jamesbo has been beating me to my own weather report lately... Seems to be dryin' out after 18 hrs of on/off rain. A cool 44* in the Swamp.

I think if you subscribe to something like Hulu+ (which I don't have), you can see all kinds of broadcast TV on demand. Thing is, most folks with cable or satellite nowadays have DVRs that they can just program to record shows -- especially since this one is an over-the-air broadcast (Fox).

Y'all have a warm, dry one, Oldsmofriends.
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:54 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

It's 50 out and no wind but it seems really cold. No sun, either. Rain is coming back.

Jamesbo I was going to buy this guy's parts business and he is in Oregon. But he flaked out on me and that's why I pulled the plug on my retirement.

John I've been thinking about dumping my cable TV and going the Hulu(or some such thing) route. I hate my cable provider. But I'd still have to have internet and they are the only game in town. For TV and internet my bill is pushing a buck and a half every month. It's maddening.

Well I'll see if there's anything I can do to salvage the rest of the day. Slept a little longer than I wanted to, but I got an extra day off this week so it will be okay.
Old January 28th, 2016, 04:23 AM

Mawn'in

A mite chili in de mountains

John, Reports say Clayton got 8" last week no much on dis siade of de hills

Mike, I'm still scratch'in my head about moving a parts bisiness but dat's Ok. If ya find another one jes put someone's tag on de trailer. It's never been out west

For de little I know about de Hulu TV set up, ya gotta buy an antena to get local stations

GTG Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 28th, 2016, 04:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Just getting light out so I can't tell what kind of a day it's going to be. Well, I'll make the best of whatever.

Jamesbo I was going to move the parts business to Georgia because I didn't want to live in Oregon.

At the grocery store the other day I had a wild idea, I bought some frozen White Castles. Now, I love me some White Castle and haven't been up north for awhile, so I figured why not. Well, anyone thinking the same thing just save your money. The only thing they had in common with real White Castle was the size. Even Krystals are better than these.

Okay time for the Awful house. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 28th, 2016, 04:58 AM

Mike, Krystal's a.k.a. Gut bombers are GREAT I see they now have a shrimp sandwich. Ment to try one on de way to de mountains but Red wanted a chic fil a insted
Old January 28th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Captain Starfire

Top o' da' mernin' to ya, friends. Mite chillier in da' Swamp today. Was 38* when I got up; no rain for a change. Gravel road looks like a war zone as usual, but that's how it's gonna' stay for now. Tired of being the neighborhood angel and nobody even notices. I'll drive around the ruts, myself... although it seems everybody aims for 'em -- especially when they're filled with water.

Whelp, 'nuffa' dat.

Jamesbo, that sounds like more than a little dusting.... I guess it's all melted off by now. In any case, we'll be back up real soon... we're looking forward to rendezvousing with Mike at Dillard House... I'm startin' my fast right now so's I'll be good & hungry.

Y'all have a warm one, Oldsmofriends.
Old January 29th, 2016, 05:09 AM

Mawn'in

Nice day in de mountains

Gotta run back to town today, Got 2 funerals tomorrow
Old January 29th, 2016, 05:37 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Jamesbo, glad and sad that business is picking up. You win the lottery, I'll build you whatever you ask for

John, I'm not very optimistic. seems the Donkeys like to choke at the big game.

Darrell that was a google search. Mike I would guess. but I doubt it's factory correct

Well We have Arenacross racing this weekend. So I'll be floundering around indoors. The weathers been getting nice but spose to get wet colder and a possibility of a large snowfall on Monday. We'll see.

Got some bad news that my identity is floating around buying stuff all over the country. Like I needed something else to do.

Have a weekend
Old January 29th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all.... Nippy in da' Swamp (37*).

Jamesbo, bi'ness is so good -- you're gonna' be able to retire soon. Your're right about services like Hulu-- they don't get you any local stations -- it's not a substitute for OTA the way "cable" (in general) is. We put up a huge antenna here to get N.O. (& B.R. to a lesser extent). But we wouldn't be able to pick up Hotlanta from Hiawassee no matter what we put up. When we first got the mountain place, Windstream charged us $12.95/mo for what they called "reception" cable: just local stations. We've kept it the whole time; but now it's $30. So in 7 years, it's more than doubled. Bunch of lice.

Clint, we'll sure be pullin' for you guys. Would be great if the Bucking Broncos would win and Peyton would retire and go out with a bang. They've been interviewing Archie in our local market (and perhaps a bit nationally, too) (he's still one of the most beloved figures in the city) and he's hinting at Peyton's throwing in the towel. We shall see.

In any case, be safe at the Arenacross. As far as the identity, it seems (unfortunately) as common as catching a cold these days. I hope you can straighten it out without too much upheaval.... it's a horrible thing. (Speaking of LICE, huh?!)

Mike, you think you might wind up back in the Land of Lincoln one of these days?

Whelpt, the second shoe has fallen: Aunt Carmy is officially moving to a nursing home. VERY long story; but to cut to the chase, it's the doctor's office for a checkup next Wednesday, then possibly Thursday or Friday to the home. It may or may not be easy for me to say, but it's truly in the best interests of all involved. Her health (both mental and physical) is in need of continual care. Any prayers in this direction appreciated.

Y'all have a great Freia's day, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 29th, 2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old January 29th, 2016, 08:22 AM

Clint, you a victim of identity theft?