The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Captain Starfire

Mernin', all. Jamesbo, I have a chilly shovel as well - 28 at da' Plantation. But at least it's dry 'til Thursday, say the prognosticators.

Tryin' to find my way up out of the clutter. Feels like I've been away for a year.

Mike, how's the patient? Hope "in the pink."

Darrell, same goes for you. Hope you get those canals & tubes all cleared out for the game Saturday (at latest). I'll be pulling with you for the PA boys, since I have no real dog in the hunt. If I had to pick a Super Bowl victor, the Packers would probably be my sentimental favorite (since the two Manning teams are out like stout).

London, glad you made it back safely. I've never taken a transcontinental flight, and these days, I'm not rushin' to get in line. But one day, I'll make it to "the continent" and U.K.

Clint, hope you can start the year off fresh, and get that Rocky Mountain white stuff under control.

Y'all have a warm 11th Day of Christmas, Oldsmofriends.
Old January 5th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Feeling much better, thanks. Finally got to see the doctor last night at 5, he said I had Cellulitis. He also said I had most of the symptoms for a blood clot so I had to go have some test done today. The attendant said everything looked okay but his doctor had to read the results and then give them to my doctor. So I get an extra night off work.

It was a little disconcerting to see signs everywhere that said most of the caregivers were independent contractors and the hospital was not liable for anything they did.

Checked out the Awful house for lunch. The regular girls were back and they were so sorry about my lack of service yesterday. The manager knew about it but he didn't say anything. He's a big dummy. Jamesbo if my Awful house had a drive thru, the gas station next door would have to deliver to the line.

Sunny today, and 44*. No wind, though, so I might venture outside and get something done.

One thing I have to do is today is get a new calendar. I look up at the wall and it's still December. Alright then, New Years Eve all over again!

Have a good day everyone.
Old January 6th, 2016, 12:21 AM

Mornin all,

So tired last night I actually fell asleep mid meal with a fork in my hand, thought I might get an easy day at work yesterday but everything went against me and I ended up working 13 hours after two hours sleep.
Woke late this morning, first time I was late for work in about 10 years but at least I slept well.

Bee-oh-Pee, you should take the plunge and visit, you wont regret it, but make sure you fly with American, what a great airline, very impressed with the service.

Weather in the UK today is mild and foggy at around 52

Another busy day today, I have five interviews with people I'd rather not employ.

Have a safe day out there.
Old January 6th, 2016, 03:49 AM
Captain Starfire

U. S. Worm

Pumpkins & shovels not quite as frosty this morning... 41* at The Plantation.

Gee, I have a big ad in my Outlook right now asking me to "Say you're with Hillary in 2016." (I'll leave the rest of this paragraph to everyone's imagination.)

London, if I live long enough, I'll be there... seriously. I have to see Rome, too, before I employ Jamesbo's or his competitor's services.

Glad you're feeling better, Mike.

Scheduled to bring the Avalon to the dealership today for those rusty brake rotors. Wish me luck.

Whelpt, today's the 12th Day of Christmas - a.k.a. Epiphany, Aunt Rita's birthday -- my deceased and beloved Godmother who would have been 97, and (especially in N.O.), King's Day. That means it's the start of the Mardi Gras season, and everybody will be clamoring to be the first to bring a king cake in to work (except me). It's a very early Mardi Gras this year (2/9), so everybody has to eat and buy his share quick!

Have a great King's Day, Oldsmofriends.
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:23 AM

Mawn'in all

Still chili down ere

John, When I went over de pond, I went to all the WW II sites I could find. Bastogne, Malmedy, drove de road de tanks to to Arhnem etc.

London, I was gonna go to de 8th air force museum in England til I figgered out in was in Georgia.

Normandy was absolutely unbelievable. How the heck de made it up the cliffs at Point du hoc is amazing.

Mike, Glad your feel'in better and de regulars have returned to keep ya fed at de Aweful House. BTW when ya gonna dig a hole wit de new back hoe?

Welp, Gonna go to town today and have lunch wit my cuz

Have a gREAT day Olds friends
Old January 6th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice day to have slept most of it away. Still cold, and gonna get colder. About 30 tonight.

Jamesbo I don't even have that off the trailer. Got it home at night, went to work, was sick over the weekend, now going back to work. I know it's driving me crazy. I want to dig stuff up.

Wow London. Glad you had such great service with American. Though I could guess you were the only one on the plane that did.

John since you want to be the world traveler, come with me in March to the Chrysler show in Australia. There will be plenty of American cars as well as the locals, and I don't mind seeing the Holdens and vintage Fords, either.

Well, work. Monday on Hump Day. Hm. Seems fitting. Have a good night everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; January 6th, 2016 at 02:58 PM.
Old January 7th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Captain Starfire

Could it be a real (worldwide) worm for the Johnster? Mountain time zone is laggin' this mernin'.

Band of showers headed our way, but warming trend continues. We'll see close to 70* today, with no re-cool 'til weekend. Chores include Trader Joe's, Sam's, and a couple other honey-do's.

Have a great one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 7th, 2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old January 7th, 2016, 05:35 AM

Mawn'in all

Chili but clear today

Had a nice lunch with friends in de city yesterday.Chicken fried steak smashed taters and white 1/2 runners.

John, I thought 'bout you yesterday as I was driving round my old hood. The city I was drug up in is like mars. I know my way around but it jes doesn't feel like de same place

Terry Bradshaw on Leno with de lady from Arkansas dat gave CPR to a chicken is about to replace de Chimps Penguin You tube as one of the best side splitters

Google it it's a stitch

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 7th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Captain Starfire

Will have to see that one, Jamesbo. BTW, since you mentioned it, you could have been talking about the house (and neighborhood) I grew up in N.O. and lived in 'til '79. It became a war zone in the late 80s, then when Katrina flooded it, it became something akin to what Mad Max encountered. I've passed the old house once since then (house was still standing, but uninhabited -- dunno if it's been razed since then). Funniest thing is how small it is (was). We had 5 in the family (often 6 with a stray aunt staying with us); and it was something on the order of 1300 sq. ft. -- one (small) bathroom, one phone, and a tiny kitchen. Very surreal to think of it now.

Glad you had a good lunch; sounds tasty. I almost ordered the chicken fried steak at Cracker Barrel Monday, but that Reuben screamed at me at the last second. (I've had the C.F. steak at C.B. before, and although it's not the best in the world, it's mighty respectable, IMHO.)
Old January 7th, 2016, 06:18 AM

Speaking of old [and small ] houses. John, What do ya call dat little nitch in the hall way where the one and only telephone was?
Old January 7th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Captain Starfire

Ya' got me, Jamesbo. I still say, however, that you have some kind of eyes that can see my old house. There was a beautifully crafted cutout in the wall between the "hall" and the kitchen, with a nice little deck on which sat the phone from 1954 (when my parents had the house built) until we moved. The phone was complete with an 8' cord (nondetachable, of course) that had shrunk to about 2' via twists & knots. I untangled it when I was around 11 y.o., and it twisted back up the next day.

My Mom would stand in the hall and talk to all her sisters and my Grandmother for hours a week.
Old January 7th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just came back in with the dogs, and I realized it's 6o'clock and I don't need the lights in the back yard to see where I'm going. Things are looking up.

John my Grandmother had a phone in the living room, the only one in the house, on a cord that was about 20 feet long. My uncle worked for the phone company and at some point, like in the 60s, Grandma was sick and couldn't get out of bed, so my uncle put a longer cord so she could have the phone at her bed. I said, why didn't he just put a phone in the bedroom? You should have seen the strange looks I got. This was some time in the 70s.

Jamesbo I wouldn't dare drive through the neighborhood I grew up in.

Okay time for Friday. I like this work 2 off 5. Of course I don't like being sick to get it. Have a good night everyone.
Old January 8th, 2016, 05:06 AM

Mawn'in all

A little dank dis mawn'in

John, Sound like we were drug up in similar times. How in de world my mom fed us without a thousand dollars worth of German knives is beyond me. We had a tiny Philco fridge with a freezer smaller dan a shoe box. Once a week ya had to place a pot of boiling water in it to defrost it or the ice would cake up so not even a pack of peas would fit in it.

BTW sum of dis "retro " stuff is very fashionable these days. Like the complete set of yellow, blue, orange and red mix'in bowls or the fridge glass storage containers [ Don't let people know they weren't pyrex and if ya hit them with hot water when de came out of de fridge the busted into a thousand pieces

Here's a cool 50's kitchen link

http://jcluinspire.com/man-posts-pic...-kitchen/?s=fb

Welp, Enough nostalgia

GTG Have a GREAT day Olds friends
Old January 8th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Captain Starfire

Dank at da' Plantation, as well. Kinda' mid-50s-ish, still, a touch of fog, & no Sol nowheres. Still soaked from yesterday. Gravel road is a war zone, but guy up front sez he's starting a construction project, so I'm gonna' let it go till somebody yells "Uncle!"

I love all that nostalgia stuff, Jamesbo. We have a few little pieces, mostly from my paternal grandparents that lived next door. Nothing as cool as what you have pictured, however. BTW, remember the latches on those old fridges, before the magnetic door strips? It was like opening some sort of insulated vault. We had a Hotpoint with a big, square handle... the whole thing was prolly 95% metal, and the units back then weren't even grounded! I don't think it even had a polarized plug. My Mom was defrosting one day with the requisite boiling water and ice scraper and she caught a dose of 110V in mid scrape... so she called Dad and axed him what to do... He simply said, "Unplug it." Problem solved.

Whelpt, since I blew off my running the distant errands yesterday, it's REALLY Sam's & Trader Joe's in Baton Rouge today.

Have a great one, Oldsmofriends.

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 8th, 2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old January 8th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home around 5 this morning, not a bad gig. Plane was there when we got there, we did what we could, then split. I like it.

I came too late for the Fort Knox refrigerators, but I had a buddy that sold antiques that I'd help and one of his favorite things was the electric ice box, the one with the big motor on top. Those things are heavy as a mother.

Rained last night so everything is muddy. No digging holes today. Might run a few errands.

No Clint for a few days. Hope everything is okay. Scot? Dan?

Okay gonna go do something. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 8th, 2016, 08:00 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. 46 here today and mostly sunny. Started to take down some of the Christmas decorations, still have most of the lights up, got to keep the kids happy.

Feeling better today, my ears seem to be clearing up. Hope you're feeling better too John.

Clint - any more snow? We might get some in the middle of next week.

London - that sounds like nice weather for you this time of year. I'm hoping to visit your island in the next couple of years, always wanted go there. My family roots hail from Lincolnshire.

I'm renovating a bathroom in my spare time (that's a joke, haha) and got the vanity out, next is the mouldings and trim.

I was reading the sidewalls on the tires on my Olds and they are 13 years old. Even though they still look good, I'm going to replace them in the next couple of months. Not sure if I want to keep the white letters or go with red lines since I love the look of them. Any thoughts or opinions?

Well, have a good night Oldsmofriends.
Old January 8th, 2016, 09:28 PM

I'm lurking about Mike. Always here, I just don't always post. My brother wants to see the movie "The Reverent" w/Leonardo DeCaprio tomorow, it looks to be pretty good, reminds me of "A Man In The Wilderness" from 40+ years ago, with John Huston and Richard Harris.
Old January 9th, 2016, 03:47 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

My boy wanted to go out at a quarter to 5 this morning, then I couldn't get back to sleep. So I got up and got ready for the day. By 6. Imagine getting to the Awful house before it gets light.

Happy Birthday, Jamesbo. Hope you're having a bash.

So I'm gonna go look at this school bus today. My intention is storage. It's bigger than a storage container, cheeper, and I can move it around. I thought maybe I could use the motor in something, but it's a tall deck big block and I hear they aren't good for much other than school busses. Eh, we'll see. Any idea what I'd do with 50 uncomfortable, two-person seats?

Dan glad everything is good. I couldn't tell you the last time I went to the movies. Nothing ever sounds good anymore. There should be vintage movie day. I'd love to see Christine on the big screen again.

Darrell I like the letters myself. I think the redlines look better on British sports cars. I think the bathroom is my next project around here. I want to change the position of the vanity but I don't think it will work with the door. I love pocket doors but I don't know if there's enough wall for it to slide into.

Okay gonna take off. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old January 9th, 2016, 07:59 AM

Happy B-day Jamesbo!
Old January 9th, 2016, 11:46 AM

Tanks for de berfday wishes
Old January 9th, 2016, 01:25 PM

Well, maybe next week. Went to the movie theater and stood in line with about 50-60 other people, and after about 15 minutes an employee put a 8 1/2" x 11" paper sign above the ticket counter that read: "Sorry, The Reverent is sold out". Needed field glasses to read the small sign. We would of gone to the later showing @4pm, but my brother and I wanted to watch the NFL playoffs.
Old January 9th, 2016, 08:43 PM
GM Enthusiast

Happy Birthday Jamesbo! Hope you had a great day.
Old January 10th, 2016, 05:41 AM

Worm. Not nearly the snowfall that they called for in these parts, just an inch or so. Well, I see that none of my Good Morning Thread com padre's are billionaires. Coffee..work, bye.
Old January 10th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Cold and windy today. Blah. Got up too late for the Awful house, probably just lounge around in my pj's today.

So, here's an observation. I look at craigslist all the time and email people about their stuff and I get, I'd say, roughly a 10% response. What is wrong with these people? Do they not want to sell their stuff? Do they hate email? Then why put an email address on there? Sheesh, the last time I sold something on craigslist there were two or three people that emailed constantly hey why haven't you responded yet. Is it just me? I know craigslist isn't the most upscale place but come on, 90% dolts?

Have a good day at work, Dan. Sunday, must be double time.

Okay gonna go find something to do. Have a good day everyone.
Old January 10th, 2016, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, I see that none of my Good Morning Thread com padre's are billionaires. .
Rats, I hate thay when that happens

Hate to one up my pal John in de culinary department BUT I had a carnvores delight a 36 oz bone in ribeye fer my berfday with baked taters and a salad [fer 3 people] broiled it and chowed down.
Old January 10th, 2016, 02:04 PM

Evening all

Busy Sunday catching up on the work I missed during my vacation

Old SKL 69. Lincolnshire is a nice place to visit with one of the best cathedrals in the UK also it's famous for being very flat and growing lots of potatoes,

Slantflat. American is great to fly as long as you are at the front if you know what I mean.

Bee-oh-pee. Rome is a beautiful city to visit, but gets too hot in the summer, if you do come over remember to go to Venice before it sinks,

Got to go to the city of London tomorrow to meet up with my accountant to see if he can save me having to donate a kidney to pay my tax bill.

Have a great week all.
Old January 10th, 2016, 07:16 PM
GM Enthusiast

Evening everyone. Wish I could say this was a good weekend, but it wasn't. As many of you know, we had to bring our dog to another home about 11 months ago due to my daughters asthma. It was a tough decision, since he had been with us for 14 years. It ended up working out great since he got a whole group of new friends that were there(all cockers like him) and he made the adjustment very well. We have been visiting him at least 3x a month including last night.

Well, when I got there, he didn't get up and his breathing was labored. I knew something was definitely wrong. I brought him to the animal emergency hospital where after much testing, they found that his heart was as big as his chest cavity due to his CHF. We stayed with him for a while and then I had to hold him while they put him to sleep. It was the hardest thing I ever had to do.

I don't ever want to have to do that again.

Mike - I find Craigslist to be hit or miss. I agree, many morons on there.

London - Thanks for the info on Lincolnshire and I hope your taxes aren't too out of control.

Last edited by OLD SKL 69; January 10th, 2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old January 10th, 2016, 08:19 PM

It was the hardest thing I ever had to do
I have done this more than once, no fun, but we do what we can for our pets.
Old January 11th, 2016, 04:48 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Darrell, I'm so sorry. That really sucks, but at least you were there until the pain was gone. I've been there and I know I will have to again. I'm not looking forward to it.

Mike, Is it possible their responses are going to your spam folder? I do agree there are lots of flakes on CL.

Have a Monday all.
Old January 11th, 2016, 05:14 AM

Mawn'in all

Coldest day so fer 24 no golf'in today

Darrell, So sorry but I try to think of it as you can do something for him he can't do for you.
Old January 11th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Darrell I'm so sorry. Been there myself. Better that you were there with him than he being alone.

Cold as a mother out today. I had thought about going to the junkyard but I'm not walking around in this cold. I might go this afternoon when it warms up a little. I haven't been there in about 6 weeks. Hard telling what I'm missing out on.

No Clint, the spam folder remains empty. I think sometimes people who use free stuff don't give a damn. Eh, look at all the money I save.

London once you are on the plane and in your First Class seat, you're pretty well taken care of. But as a whole, most people find American to be an awful company who doesn't care about the passengers, nor the employees. If this current iteration of American doesn't shape up and treat the employees better, they will be well on their way to becoming what United is. Poorly run with employees that hate life.

Well the sun is out, but that's misleading. I'm going to find inside stuff to do until it warms up a little. Happy Monday everyone.
Old January 11th, 2016, 10:17 AM

Hey Mike, Skip de junk yard it's too cold out

Go check this car out and let me know what the front clip looks like
Old January 11th, 2016, 03:11 PM
Always room for one more

Jamesbo that's hysterical. I should have skipped the junkyard, there wasn't nuthin' there, 'cept a 76 Delta 88 with a big block. Didn't look in too bad of shape, don't need anything from a 76 Delta 88, though.
Old January 12th, 2016, 04:04 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Darrell, No new snow, just the same stuff thats been hanging around (and turning into ice) since the middle of Dec. They are calling for a chance on Friday tho.

Jamesbo, happy belated,

Mike, it could be. I've been doing some CL searches using searchtempest for a A-body wagon fuel tank with no luck. If run across one let me know.

Welp, got my Olds calendars yesterday Ken's blue beast is in there and Sandy and Teepo graced the back page.

Have a Tuesday all.
Old January 12th, 2016, 05:41 AM

Mawn'in all

Still chili but not as cold as yesterday.

Mike, if ya'd skip de Aweful House and do like I do an make your own breakfast, lunch and super you could afford more cars

Fixed me a big ole bowl of chili fer lunch, gonnna have sum more today
Old January 12th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Captain Starfire

Kwik mawnin', all... 'twas 34* & a mite nippy at the Plantation. Slowly warming this week, to the purported arrival of Elsie on Thursday. We shall see.

Jamesbo, that steak & the chili look good enough to eat.

Mike, did you do any earth moving yet? Now I really do have to come down and see your place... I want a drive on ur tractor.

Hope y'all can get rid of some of that ice before July, Clint. I see little blossoms on our blueberry bushes. I wonder if Mother Nature is a little confused this year. Don't recall seeing any this early before -- especially since it ain't all that warm out.

Y'all have a great one, Oldsmofriends.

p.s.: just got my repro window sticker for Coppertone from the same guy who did the one for my (now gone) Ol' Red. So happy, I could do jumping jacks. This guy is amazing, IMHO. And they're as technically accurate (as long as you have the build sheet) as they are beautiful. The laminated hard copy looks even nicer than this electronic version (VIN partially removed by me.)

Last edited by Bee-Oh-Pee; January 12th, 2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old January 12th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Dang John, Dat sucker was spensive back then
Old January 12th, 2016, 10:03 AM

Ah yes, the bane of us northern folks, get the driveway all blowed out, and twenty minutes later, here come the plows to throw it right back at ya!!
Dat sucker was spensive back then
yep, my thoughts exactly when I saw it. That sticker looks pretty cool with the Buick Tri Sheild in the middle of it. Jamesbo, great lookin' bowl o chili.
Old January 13th, 2016, 05:12 AM

Mawn'in all

Worm

WTF is Clint?

Chili but not as cold as yesterday. Clear Blue bird sky

Gotta run to a breakfast meeting to "maybe" hire a dude to help with sales

Kinda like buying or selling a car. When you're buying it's de greatest thing since sliced bread, When you're selling it's a POS

Hiring kinda de same way. When he wants de job, he's de greatest, and can sell everything,When he get's de job, he can do squat cause your product is a POS.

Reminds me of an ole real-estate joke, Ya know what it means when you real-estate agent says " I'm expecting an offer" I "means" my listing is about to expire and I want to extend it.

Tonite, I'm making dutch Hawaiian toastie quesadillas, Ham pineapple, cheese Try it it's REALLY good

Have a great day Olds friends
Old January 13th, 2016, 05:21 AM
CQR

Mornin all

I don't really like how all the images have to be uploaded and then show up later on.

John, I hope they don't freeze off. That would put a dent on the crops this year of all those antioxidants.

Still haven't found a fuel tank yet. may have to build one.

Been reading my congressmans fb page and its bringing me down.

Well have a Humpday all.