The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2022, 07:32 PM

A little clarification as I may have been misinterpreted.

The SSI was available in 66-68 as a 14x6 wheel. It could not accommodate disc brakes, and that was what I was saying was not available with them; the caliper couldn't clear. Disc brake cars got one wheel option, a certain steel wheel. In 68, SSIIs (a very specific SSII) came out and were 14x6, and could accommodate disc brakes. It was the hoop design. Soon after, the SSI was redesigned with a beauty ring, and that 14x6 could do disc brakes. There was a brief run of all chrome 14x6 SSIs in 69 that could do disc brakes.

Later, there were 14x7s all chrome that could do disc too.

Summary: All beauty ring SSIs, all 14x7 SSIs, and a very few 14x6 all chrome SSIs could do factory disc. The vast majority of all chrome SSIs could not. All SSIIs can do factory disc.
Old March 17th, 2022, 03:21 AM

Have a family coming late morning then headed norte [because I don't wanta wait until the monsoon s begin tomorrow
Old March 17th, 2022, 03:25 AM
Running On Empty

Discussing boat docks is forbidden...
Old March 17th, 2022, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Discussing boat docks is forbidden...

I burned it down to avoid any possibility
Old March 17th, 2022, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Greg - Thanks for your opinion on wheel choice, much appreciated! Car has the TH400 tranny and 3.55 anti-spin rear end. Averaging about 10 to 11mpg if I don't have my foot in it, and I really need to burn 93 Octane. That thing would eat me alive with the current gas prices. No doubt it would be alot of fun having it over there though!
Well take your driver if you can. I would like to meet you!
Old March 17th, 2022, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
A little clarification as I may have been misinterpreted.

The SSI was available in 66-68 as a 14x6 wheel. It could not accommodate disc brakes, and that was what I was saying was not available with them; the caliper couldn't clear. Disc brake cars got one wheel option, a certain steel wheel. In 68, SSIIs (a very specific SSII) came out and were 14x6, and could accommodate disc brakes. It was the hoop design. Soon after, the SSI was redesigned with a beauty ring, and that 14x6 could do disc brakes. There was a brief run of all chrome 14x6 SSIs in 69 that could do disc brakes.

Later, there were 14x7s all chrome that could do disc too.

Summary: All beauty ring SSIs, all 14x7 SSIs, and a very few 14x6 all chrome SSIs could do factory disc. The vast majority of all chrome SSIs could not. All SSIIs can do factory disc.
John - Never hurts to clarify, but I didn't need a clarification. You know why? Because way back in the very 1st thread I ever started on this forum, when I was thinking about buying and researching my '67, you contributed a great tutorial on SS wheels, and I purposely book marked that thread. See your post #53 near the end of the thread. I appreciated your tutorial then, and again now! I learned alot of important info from several members on here that contributed to that thread.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...2/#post1308743

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; March 17th, 2022 at 06:50 AM.
Old March 17th, 2022, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Have a family coming late morning then headed norte [because I don't wanta wait until the monsoon s begin tomorrow
Jim - Safe travels!
Old March 17th, 2022, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Well take your driver if you can. I would like to meet you!
Greg - I joined the St. Louis Archway Old's Club, but I haven't joined the OCA. Can members of the general public get into the show area on Friday to view the cars, or do you have to be an OCA member? Might be cheaper if I just send in an application to be an OCA member and then have more access to places/events if I get over there? Thoughts??? I'd really enjoy meeting you too!
Old March 17th, 2022, 08:04 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - Back then when John first responded to your wheels you were known as Ralph. Are you laundering money into shell companies for Navarro?
Old March 17th, 2022, 01:30 PM
Running On Empty

I received these just now from Jim.
Jim - Extremely thoughtful & very kind of you. This wasn't necessary, I was happy to assist w/ the M38A1 pro bono for you. THANK YOU, you're a good person.

Old March 17th, 2022, 03:14 PM

Norm, glad you got them. A few years supplies for you. A few weeks supplies for me
again many thanks for your efforts
Old March 17th, 2022, 03:54 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

What a pristine day. It's going to rain tomorrow but I've thoroughly enjoyed this afternoon.

Everyone lollygagged around all day and with 10 minutes to go the lead gets all bothered that we are 9 short. A couple wheels just hadn't registered yet. He sat at his desk all day not moving, never checking on progress, never getting after the people who clown around all day, but then is in a crisis at the end of the day. He kept us 10 minutes after quitting time to give us the same old stale lecture about doing better, needing to get the number no matter what, people will be moved around if things don't shape up, ya ya. Heard it all before, he's weak and won't do anything. I expect a repeat of today, tomorrow.

During times that I don't have anything to sign I read Wikipedia. Today I started reading about Springfield, Illinois. Capital city of the State of Illinois. From there I read about Abraham Lincoln. Then John Wilkes Booth. Then the people who helped in his plan to assassinate Lincoln. Being from Illinois I should have known all this, but it was the first time I had read any of it. Some of it rather disturbing.

So tonight will be the last night I stay here as the resident of the house. Tomorrow after work I'm taking my bed down and setting it up at the other place. I should have done this earlier this week(nay, weeks ago) but tomorrow is the day. That way we can be there all weekend and hopefully Tiger won't flip out when I go to work on Monday. Actually we'll be back painting and moving more stuff, etc.

You know what would be fun, making every sentence here be its own post. Nah, that would be annoying.

Peace

Old March 17th, 2022, 05:03 PM

Chris, Well you're sposta be a member of OCA to go. BUT, the hotel and swap meet is a public place. I'm pretty sure you could just come in, at least at the 3 Nats I've been to that's how it was. You couldn't sign up for any of the trips or the meetings, dinners but you probably wouldn't want do do those anyway... You probably would have to park your car away but maybe not, depending on how big the parking lots are. I have never been to this place but others have said there are 3 Hotels within walking distance and restaurants all around. On the other hand, being a member of OCA is pretty good, I like the Journey with Olds monthly magazine.
Old March 17th, 2022, 05:15 PM
Running On Empty

...others have said there are 3 Hotels within walking distance and restaurants all around.
Greg/Chris - Indeed, the entire "area" is more or less a compound, if you will. Extremely well landscaped, excellent egress/ingress access points well away from busy highway traffic, plenty of restaurants outside of the three hotels which are all walking distance from each other - the restaurants are also walking distance from each other. I've stayed there on at least three occasions, two of which were annual Indian Motorcycle events. There is lots of parking facilities. Each of the three hotels does an admirable job of catering to large events.
Old March 17th, 2022, 05:21 PM
Running On Empty

Here is the street view of Embassy Suites, from this map you should be able to zoom in/out to navigate....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...2!4d-86.448666
Old March 17th, 2022, 05:30 PM

Chris, I have been to a couple of the nationals, you don't need to be a member to check everything out, only to do the other events like Greg mentioned, or to show your car.
Old March 17th, 2022, 05:33 PM

Chris, Well you're sposta be a member of OCA to go. BUT, the hotel and swap meet is a public place. I'm pretty sure you could just come in, at least at the 3 Nats I've been to that's how it was.
Greg - I really need to make a hotel reservation if I'm going to go, but I'm hesitant until I find out how my wife's surgery goes??? Something tells me I'd better S*#@ or get off the pot though if I'm gonna get a room close to the event!
Old March 17th, 2022, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Chris, I have been to a couple of the nationals, you don't need to be a member to check everything out, only to do the other events like Greg mentioned, or to show your car.
Dan - Cool, good to know, thanks for chiming in!
Old March 17th, 2022, 06:41 PM

If this doesnt say Mike Mike Mike I dont know what doeshttps://eauclaire.craigslist.org/cto...459392258.html
Old March 17th, 2022, 06:46 PM

Good evening guys,

Beautiful here today, full sunshine and I think it got up to about 77° or 78°. Rain on tap for tomorrow, with some thunderboomers thrown in. My wife has a pre-op screening with an anesthesiologist tomorrow morning at 0830, and we're hoping it's not too loud for Monty while we're gone. We're going to try and swing by Sam's after her appointment since it's close. We really need meat and some other staples.

I did get out and service the 4-4-2 today. Changed the oil and filter, and lubed all the front end components. I had put a magnetic oil drain plug in it last year and there was no accumulation of metal on it which I was happy about. I hate doing the grease job, some of the zerks are not easy to get to, and it's one of those jobs you just can't do without getting grimy, or at least I can't. Checked all the other fluids: trans, power steering, brake, and coolant, and all were full and looked like they should.

Well I'm pooped! Hope everyone had a great day!
Old March 17th, 2022, 07:14 PM

Greasing is a contortionist job. I only do it every 10k miles or so.

Yesterday, in this nice weather, I dropped my truck bed sandbags at my storage unit, and went home and picked up the yard of stuff from grandma's that got marooned outside last year, and some off the back porch. Then I cleared up a space to stretch inside, did that, then got on the treadmill. I don't know which of us hated it more. Cooked chicken, cleaned kitchen, then did some polyurethaning, then poured a whisky and blasted Deep Purple and Pink Floyd. Shades of Deep Purple is a good album. Obscured by Clouds really is not.

Work up at 4am with splitting headache that took most of the day to lose. I did go by where I store my van and took it for a ten mile cruise. After almost 6 months, it cranked fine and started in about 7 seconds. My gas cap seems to be missing; I stuffed a rag in there and off I went. Drove well, came back, put it away, went home. I think it's time for bed now; I'd like a lot of sleep.

Like Chris says, lots of rain tomorrow, then colder this weekend. Think I'll hang beer signs in the house.
Old March 17th, 2022, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
Greasing is a contortionist job. I only do it every 10k miles or so.
Well, so far I'm only putting a little over 1K-miles on my car per season. Maybe I should back off and only do a grease job every 3 or 4-years, instead of annually???
Old March 17th, 2022, 08:06 PM
Running On Empty

I lube my vehicles roughly every 5K-7K miles. Lubrication should be based upon miles driven but also types of roads is a consideration e.g. potholes, RR tracks, divots, poor roads, hard driving, etc. could require more frequent intervals.
Old March 18th, 2022, 10:03 AM

Lube every 10K miles, no every 5K-7K mile, I'm so confused???
Old March 18th, 2022, 10:09 AM
Running On Empty

Directly after H.S. I worked at a Shell gas station service garage and we performed a full lube with every oil change (1970-1971). Oil/Lube was performed every 3000 miles during that time period on our regular customer cars.
Old March 18th, 2022, 10:22 AM

Directly after H.S. I worked at a Shell gas station service garage and we performed a full lube with every oil change (1970-1971). Oil/Lube was performed every 3000 miles during that time period on our regular customer cars.
I managed a quick lube (like a Jiffy Lube) in the mid-90s and we did the same. We did a full lube with every oil change along with topping off all other fluids.
Old March 18th, 2022, 10:26 AM

Good afternoon guys, (barely 1206)

Wife's pre-op appointment went fine. Trip to Sam's Club was costly, to say the least. Wow, meat, especially any kind of beef, has gotten so expensive!!! Just nuts, but still cheaper than eating out.

Weatherman was right, it's been raining all morning, sometimes hard, but at least no thunderboomers so far, which we're thankful for. Well March Madness has started, but I haven't watched any of it yet. I always enjoy watching the tournament! Would have really liked to see Michigan's opening round game yesterday afternoon, but wanted to get my car service done more. At least they won. I'll get to watch Michigan State's opening round game tonight.

Our youngest grandaughter Anna's birthday (1-yr) was last week, but they're having the party for her this Sunday, so we'll be going to that. I really wished the party was on Saturday because the Indian Rider's Club I belong to is riding up along the Illinois River Road on Sunday and the weather's supposed to be very nice. They'll be going through some of Norm's old stomping grounds. Now that my bikes are serviced and the weather's warmed up I'm itching to get out for a ride. Spring seemed a long time coming, but I'm sure glad it's here.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old March 18th, 2022, 10:47 AM

Honestly, I'll probably just keep on lubing the entire front end every Spring when I do the oil change. I have to have the entire front end off the ground anyway to change the oil, because the headers make it impossible to get to the filter and drain plug. Even with good clearance underneath it, the filter is a very tight squeeze. Having the entire front end off the ground makes it easy to manipulate the entire linkage to get to some of the zerks by simply turning a wheel manually.
Old March 18th, 2022, 10:59 AM
Running On Empty

Grease zerk consideration. Often folks consider the final lockdown of a grease zerk is where it needs to be ends up pointing when it's tightened. Wrong. There is absolutely nothing wrong with placing 1 or 2 thin washers or a thicker washer under a grease zerk to gain or lose that 1/2 to full turn so it’s oriented in a reachable position/location.

EDIT: See my edit...

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 18th, 2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old March 18th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Running On Empty

Gorgeous day for playing golf, if only I was actually playing golf...I played like a child...pathetic.
Old March 18th, 2022, 12:14 PM
Always room for one more

Aloha

Quiet now, but a few minutes ago it was raining to beat the band. Sharp lightning, thunder, the works. I got home and Tiger was hiding in the basement. Funny, if I was home he'd be sleeping and not bothered. I must be his security blanket.

Work was funny. We were breezing right along, with every indication we were going to leave after 1, and magically the number decreased so we'd be done by lunch. Which we were, and still left at a quarter to 12. Had a nice visit at the Awful house with a few guys.

So it isn't raining now but is going to start up again, and be a stronger storm. I still plan on moving this afternoon, but it looks like I'll either be sleeping on a cold bed or the couch. But I've convinced myself that Tiger needs that extra time in the house to be comfortable, so that's what we're going to do.

Norm the new golf ***** didn't help your game?

Okay time to start the disassembly.

Peace
Old March 18th, 2022, 12:40 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - I didn't today use any of the golf ***** Jim gave to me as I had several ***** already in the queue. Therefore, I cannot place any fault with the ***** Jim gave to me. I think I should start playing w/ them though.

Old March 18th, 2022, 12:55 PM

I wonder how you spell "Seize the Fairway" in Latin?
Old March 18th, 2022, 12:59 PM

Norm carpe diem . If you shoot 102 or 71. That's the important thing
Old March 18th, 2022, 01:00 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Norm carpe diem . If you shoot 102 or 71. That's the important thing
You are absolutely correct, Jim.
Old March 18th, 2022, 01:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
I wonder how you spell "Seize the Fairway" in Latin?
Since (I believe) "carpe" means to "seize" (literally), it would translate to "Carpe Fairway".
Old March 18th, 2022, 01:09 PM

Norm, " a nice walk ruined "

Chris aglio de olio was also known as "depression pasta" i like it and I'm not even Italian
Old March 18th, 2022, 01:10 PM
Running On Empty

I like garlic bread....
Old March 18th, 2022, 01:10 PM

Since (I believe) "carpe" means to "seize" (literally), it would translate to "Carpe Fairway".
Norm - I already knew Carpe Diem meant Seize the Day, I was hoping there was a Latin word for Fairway!
Old March 18th, 2022, 01:12 PM

Norm, " a nice walk ruined "

Chris aglio de olio was also known as "depression pasta" i like it and I'm not even Italian

If you want to add a little meat. Anchovies are my favorite