The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2023, 02:32 PM

Norm I prefer Blue Cheese but it sounds wonderful
I haven't made one of those in awhile, and though I don't tolerate spicy food too well, I do put a little cayenne pepper on my blue cheese burger when I make it. Gotta have the vent kicked on over the stove while cooking, otherwise my eyes will burn.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 02:35 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
...I do put a little cayenne pepper on my blue cheese burger when I make it.
Have not thought of cayenne pepper on blue cheese. Might try that tomorrow...sounds tasty.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 04:16 PM

Good evening guys,

Haven't been on here much the last couple days, quite a bit going on.

Wife cleaned house for our neighbor today, so I offered to go get Chinese takeout. Wife had Beef and Broccoli and fried chicken wings. I had boneless Chinese Ribs and Pork Fried Rice (pic). The ribs are really good, with a really unique flavor, kind of a spicy, sweet, smoky flavor, but not spicy hot.

We got some very concerning news about my BIL yesterday afternoon. Looking back, if you remember, they had found cancer on both his kidneys, one with a very tiny spot, and the 2nd with a larger spot. About a month and a half ago, they did a partial removal of the one with the smaller spot, and he has been recuperating, and they were getting ready to address the one with the larger spot. While taking new images of the 2nd kidney, they have now found a spot which they believe is cancer in his Pancreas. Things are not looking very good, and we are just sick about the news. He is in the process of getting a 2nd opinion before deciding on next steps. Please keep us in your prayers, I fear we are headed for some rough days.

On a much brighter note, Grandson Gabe has his 10th b-day party Sunday. It is really hard for me to believe he's going to be 10!

Hope you all had a great day and have a great weekend!
Old February 3rd, 2023, 06:25 PM

I'm sorry, Chris. Pancreatic cancer is the worst one. My dad lost a good buddy and colleague to it.

Old February 3rd, 2023, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I'm sorry, Chris. Pancreatic cancer is the worst one. My dad lost a good buddy and colleague to it.
Thanks John. We know it looks bad, and my wife is just sick about it. It is her baby brother and he's only 50.
Old February 4th, 2023, 02:57 AM

Chris sorry about BIL. But yes the grandkids are a bright spot for sure. I remember back in 2005 or so my Dad was starting his last journey- in and out of hospitals, losing a leg, etc. There are 2 things I remember real well. One was after all the visits in hospitals, etc, it felt so good to go see the grandkids and enjoy "new" refreshing life. 2nd really unrelated thing was I was walking thru the parking lot to visit Dad after his leg amputation (Diabetes). A guy in a big golf cart type thing asked me if I wanted a ride to the door. I answered no thanks and thought what a beautiful pleasure it was to be able to walk on my own....
Old February 4th, 2023, 04:57 AM

Mike I have to go to a funeral at North Avenue Presbyterian Church at 100 If you meet me at the Varsity at 1130 [also on North Avenue] I'll buy you lunch[
Old February 4th, 2023, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Chris sorry about BIL. But yes the grandkids are a bright spot for sure.
Thanks Greg! The grandkids sure are a wonderful diversion from less pleasant thoughts! I'm really looking forward to seeing 4 of ours tomorrow! In regard to your thoughts during your Dad's decline, it is amazing the things that go through your mind when you're dealing with the grief of losing a loved one.
Old February 4th, 2023, 05:40 AM

Chris So sorry to hear I hate to say it but it comes with growing older. I am reminded of my grandfathers sadness when all of his fishing buddies passed away. Not to be flip but the longer you live the more friends/relatives you will loose My very limited understanding of pancreatic cancer is its often not discovered until its tooo late . His prior cancer may have been a blessing is disguise. Lets pray an early detection is curable
Old February 4th, 2023, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Chris So sorry to hear I hate to say it but it comes with growing older. I am reminded of my grandfathers sadness when all of his fishing buddies passed away. Not to be flip but the longer you live the more friends/relatives you will loose
Thanks Jim! Ya, I ain't getting any younger for sure. After losing Dad, Mom, and my Brother, I know the drill. Dawn's a tough gal, but I know this will be a really rough road for her, that's my real worry. Life goes on though, and ya better enjoy all the blessings you do have while you're still, here!
Old February 4th, 2023, 08:31 AM
GCH

Sorry to hear Chris , i hate cancer. Today we had a sunny day with -12 C this morning so
i started up the 88 for a spin . It was really much ice on the smaller gravel roads but larger
asphalt roads was very fine. So it,s nice to use the car a little when the roads are dry and not salty.
Here cancer in prostate are common so i did a medical check this week and it looked ok (for now)
My brother lifted out the 727 transmission from his Newport -66 this week so it should be intresting
to se whats wrong with that , it only works in R. Trying to be in the woods a little , exercise and wood
for heating but the body is old so i take it easy and not the whole day.
Have a good weekend all

Old February 4th, 2023, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by GCH
Sorry to hear Chris , i hate cancer. Today we had a sunny day with -12 C this morning so
i started up the 88 for a spin . It was really much ice on the smaller gravel roads but larger
asphalt roads was very fine.
Glenn - Thanks! Glad your medical test went well and that you were able to get your 88 out for a little exercise. Looks pretty darn cold and snowy there from the pic, but it is Sweden!

We were just out picking up some furniture here for my wife to refinish. While we were out my 2000 Ford F150 4x4 finally turned 100K-miles (pic)! I'm glad I got to see it, because my odometer has had a short in it for awhile and comes and goes!

Old February 4th, 2023, 09:57 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
...my 2000 Ford F150 4x4 finally turned 100K-miles (pic)! I'm glad I got to see it, because my odometer has had a short in it for awhile and comes and goes!
If your odometer is correct, that's an avg. of 91 miles/week (13 miles/day).
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:07 AM
Running On Empty

My 2003 spent 1/2 its life sitting @ long-term airport parking (190K miles; ~26 miles/day).
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
If your odometer is correct, that's an avg. of 91 miles/week (13 miles/day).
Norm - I'm pretty sure the odometer is correct. It's only within the last month or two that the display started going out. I really don't know for sure whether it is still registering mileage during the brief periods when the display goes out, but I think it is. 190K-miles on your's is impressive! I always tell guys that if I could buy another new one just like the one I have now, even if I paid $10K more for it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! It is by far and away the best vehicle purchase I've ever made!
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:39 AM
Running On Empty

>90% of the causes of fuel, temp, oil, odometer, trans gauge cluster failures are due to cracks in solder on the dash panel cluster circuit board(s). A simple re-flow of solder fixes the issue.
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:49 AM

>90% of the causes of fuel, temp, oil, odometer, trans gauge cluster failures are due to cracks in solder on the dash panel cluster circuit board(s). A simple re-flow of solder fixes the issue.
Yes, I believe I've seen you post about it before, I seem to remember it was working on your's? I don't have a clue as to where to begin to get to the circuit board, pretty much out of my league mechanically wise. I'm just gonna live with it for now it's on probably 90% of the time.
Old February 4th, 2023, 10:55 AM
Running On Empty

I seem to remember it was working on your's?
Nah. Mine began giving up the ghost ~4 yrs. ago. Currently, I have no operating oil temp gauge or fuel gauge in the dash instrument cluster - my overhead (center) digital readout works fine, as well as the dash instrument cluster <80 miles remaining fuel warning. I may get around to pulling the instrument cluster and performing a re-flow this spring - maybe. I have to R&R my '71 CS convertible top SW - sooner rather than later as it has gone Tango Uniform.
Old February 4th, 2023, 11:05 AM

Nah. Mine began giving up the ghost ~4 yrs. ago.
Must have been a different thread on CO I saw. My oil pressure gauge display is in the same status as my odometer display, it comes and goes, but it's been doing it for a couple years. So far, like the odometer display, it always comes back after a little driving.
Old February 4th, 2023, 11:13 AM
Running On Empty

My oil pressure gauge display is in the same status as my odometer display, it comes and goes, but it's been doing it for a couple years. So far, like the odometer display, it always comes back after a little driving.
Tell-tale signs they're giving up the ghost & need a solder re-flow on the dash instrument cluster circuit board. CircuitBoardMedics is a good option.

https://circuitboardmedics.com/2009-...luster-repair/
Old February 4th, 2023, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the resource, I'll file it away for future use if it gets bad enough! I know it's going to just get worse with time.
Old February 4th, 2023, 01:12 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Mike a "no-show"?

Old February 4th, 2023, 01:42 PM

Jim - Mike a "no-show"?

I believe Mike was going to some type of car event in Birmingham today if his buddy was still going? I figured Mike probably ended up going since we haven't heard from him yet.
Old February 4th, 2023, 01:48 PM
Running On Empty

I believe Mike was going to some type of car event in Birmingham today if his buddy was still going? I figured Mike probably ended up going since we haven't heard from him yet.
Good point
Old February 4th, 2023, 01:48 PM

Actually I'm glad he didn't make it.I walk in the door and turned around and walked out. The place was a mad house Funeral at 1 grave side service at 230 So by then I was missing lunch Stopped in my favorite bakery and got a Cuban
Old February 4th, 2023, 01:50 PM
Running On Empty

A Cuban is a nice substitute
Old February 4th, 2023, 01:55 PM

Henris Bakery When I 1st starred eating them they were 50 cents. I think there 8 bucks now Also in 1959 they dropped the name Cuban and started calling them Po boys Their fresh bread is out of this world https://www.henrisbakery.com/
Old February 4th, 2023, 02:26 PM

Henris Bakery When I 1st starred eating them they were 50 cents. I think there 8 bucks now Also in 1959 they dropped the name Cuban and started calling them Po boys Their fresh bread is out of this world https://www.henrisbakery.com/
I checked it out, and all their sandwiches look delicious!
Old February 4th, 2023, 02:45 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - A group of us (workers) would occasionally meet up during the week @ Fogo de Chão for dinner. I always enjoyed the food/atmosphere.
Old February 4th, 2023, 03:02 PM

Jim - A group of us (workers) would occasionally meet up during the week @ Fogo de Chão for dinner. I always enjoyed the food/atmosphere.
Norm - I checked that place out too, the food looks amazing. The closest one to me is in KC.
Old February 4th, 2023, 03:34 PM
Running On Empty

Exactly how I like a steak cooked...

Old February 4th, 2023, 04:12 PM

Norm, you could hit a six iron from where the super model has worked for 39 years to Fogo de Chao. I've never been but I understand its a carnivores' delight. I like mine Pittsburg blue https://bonesrestaurant.com/
Old February 4th, 2023, 04:26 PM

I like mine Pittsburg blue https://bonesrestaurant.com/
I'm right there with ya Jim, charred on the outside and rare in the center. I like the center to at least be warm though.
Old February 4th, 2023, 04:35 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - Dollars-to-Donuts you took this picture...

Old February 4th, 2023, 04:37 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Was a nice day here and I missed it. I did indeed go to Birmingham and the car show was pretty good. Lots of people. Everything was beautiful and shiny. Birmingham is an easy ride from here and it was a nice day all around. So good to see my friends.

Chris that's too bad about BIL. I think everything has been said, so my only prayer is everyone finds some peace in all this and he's not in pain.

The digital dashes from GM cars from the 80s and 90s are notorious for going blank. The odometers still register. The ringing up of mileage and the showing of the numbers are two different functions. Years ago the odometer in my first Olds was ready to roll over so I kept a camera in the car, and when it turned I pulled over and took a picture.

Well I'm beat. No MASH tonight so I think Tiger and I will head home and sleep good tonight. Walmart tomorrow. No rain for awhile. Have a good evening everyone.

Old February 4th, 2023, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Was a nice day here and I missed it. I did indeed go to Birmingham and the car show was pretty good. Lots of people. Everything was beautiful and shiny. Birmingham is an easy ride from here and it was a nice day all around. So good to see my friends.

Chris that's too bad about BIL. I think everything has been said, so my only prayer is everyone finds some peace in all this and he's not in pain.
Mike - Glad you had a nice day with your friends at the car show!
Thanks for the kind words about my BIL. We are still hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. The spot on his Pancreas is small, so we are hoping they can remove it and that he has many years of quality life ahead of him!
Old February 4th, 2023, 04:49 PM
Running On Empty

..six iron...

Old February 4th, 2023, 04:57 PM

norm that was my daily walk to grammar school that was torn down to build Tower Place [the high rise at the top of the hill] The Henri s baker was on the right at the intersection
Old February 4th, 2023, 04:59 PM
Running On Empty

norm that was my daily walk to grammar school that was torn down to build Tower Place [the high rise at the top of the hill] The Henri s baker was on the right at the intersection
Jim - I'll bet that's changed plenty...was it two lane back then?
Old February 4th, 2023, 05:01 PM
Running On Empty

Crossing my fingers I'll get a game in on Monday...