The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2023, 01:11 PM

Norm Looks yummy I'm a little surprised ya didn't have avocado
Old February 1st, 2023, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I've had my fill of courtrooms.
Only Judge Judy to see how the other half lives
Old February 1st, 2023, 01:13 PM
Running On Empty

I have four avocados in the process of ripening - just weren't quite ready.
Old February 1st, 2023, 01:30 PM

It's cold, and my driveway is still ice, so I am staying home. Expanding the fire into Extra Wide version to get some more heat in here. It's a double sided, good drafting, wide fireplace with twin heat il ators and it does ok.
Old February 1st, 2023, 01:36 PM

photo from other side
Old February 1st, 2023, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Koda

photo from other side
John - Double sided fireplaces are so pretty! Very nice!
Old February 1st, 2023, 03:50 PM
Running On Empty

Our family was friends with this other family while I was growing up, their Dad was a GC built his own home. Great big double sided stone faced fireplace separating the kitchen from a dining room living area. Big gnarly concrete slab around the entire fireplace about knee high you could sit anywhere. That thing would roast your hide.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 03:45 AM

Went up to ******* with a friend and our snowmobiles, met 3 other guys and rode 128 miles. Great time but it beat the crap out of me. Those guys knew the trails and rode fast. I tried to keep up. A good time though. I think it was about mid 20's but warmer when sun came out. Friday it's sposta be quite cold but then warm up for next week in the high 30's-40's. I think I will work on painting wheels then.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 04:13 AM

Greg You make me cold just reading about it
Old February 2nd, 2023, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Went up to ******* with a friend and our snowmobiles, met 3 other guys and rode 128 miles.
Greg - Glad you could get out on the sleds with your buddy! Sounds like you probably trailered the sleds up there and then rode from there, is that right? I'm sure you were wore out after 128-miles on a snowmobile in one day!
Old February 2nd, 2023, 06:27 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Good start to the day, but no one is in a big hurry. It wasn't raining at 1am when Tiger wanted to go out, but it was raining at 5 when I left for work. I think it's supposed to clear up tomorrow but for how long I don't know.

John that's a beautiful fireplace. I sure miss having one. I quit using my wood stove because I'd only get a couple lightings of it before the smoke would all come in the room. I'd get up on the roof and clean the chimney real good but still, after a couple times here comes the smoke. No idea why. The fireplace in my new house is covered up with boxes of stuff I brought over and haven't found a place for. Not sure I'd be in a hurry to use it, it will be tough to clean and it's just your basic factory fireplace, not a lot of heat is useable. I still collect firewood.

Question for you builder types. Are the floor beams of the upstairs of a house all the same, regardless of them being walked on or not? My upstairs bedrooms have squared off areas that hide the slope of the roof, and I want to open them up to make more floorspace in the room. It's substantial, like 5 or 6 feet. Do you suppose those walls are holding up the roof(there's no walls under them in the downstairs)? Would the floor joists not be as strong as the floor in the room?

Gonna try for World of Wheels in Birmingham this weekend. I'm supposed to meet my friend from Alabama there but he doesn't have a terrific track record for following through with plans. If he bugs out while I'm enroute, I'll still go. But if he bugs out before I leave, I'm not going. It was a good show a couple years ago when I went.

Okay hope everyone has a good day. One more after this one.

Old February 2nd, 2023, 06:58 AM

Mike, my fireplace draws well, but there's some rules. Both sides have to have the same thing going on; doors open or doors closed, vent open or closed, otherwise it will smoke on the other side. The heat vents work OK, but not as well as a single sider with a back plate to heat. I will probably dingle berry the chimney this year.

For your house, you are going to have to get in the roof to see. You should be able to see the floorboards going across and staying the same, and you should be able to see if the walls are load bearing from the back side. Being so close to the edge, I bet they are not load bearing, and I bet your floorboards are ok. Please investigate first.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 07:06 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - No telling what is and is not load-bearing from your discussion w/o an inspection. However, with that said remember this: ALL/ANY load-bearing wall ALWAYS runs perpendicular to floor joists. Additionally, all floor joists are designed to be load-bearing.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 07:10 AM
Jeff

The floor joists should be the same, Mike, since those go all the way across. It is possible that the knee walls are part of the roof framing support. Personally, if I was in a similar situation, I'd have an engineer come in and evaluate. My Mom's house has entries to those knee walls, and they are finished off and used for storage. Dad passed a couple of years ago, so I can't ask him if those walls are tied into the rafters as braces or not. I would suspect that they probably are, but I'm no builder.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 07:19 AM
Running On Empty

Generally speaking a "knee wall", in its most commonly employed terminology & usage in typical attic space (which has been enclosed/partitioned with knee walls) is not a load-bearing wall. They are nothing more than partition walls. The home (generally and most likely) was not built with knee walls [they were add-ons]; however, that's a general statement which would apply to most home attics. The true load-bearing wall(s) would be the exterior walls of the home which support the roof. You'd have to contact a building contractor or structural engineer to make an informed/licensed decision.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 07:42 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Nothing more to do so I re-read your statements. This one is key:

Do you suppose those walls are holding up the roof(there's no walls under them in the downstairs)? Would the floor joists not be as strong as the floor in the room?
If there are no walls under the walls you're referring to upstairs, you can be assured those walls you're referring to are not load-bearing walls (unless someone removed them previously). A load-bearing wall supports the weight of the floor or roof structure above it. If there exists no wall underneath, it's not a load bearing wall.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike - Nothing more to do so I re-read your statements. This one is key:

If there are no walls under the walls you're referring to upstairs, you can be assured those walls you're referring to are not load-bearing walls (unless someone removed them previously). A load-bearing wall supports the weight of the floor or roof structure above it. If there exists no wall underneath, it's not a load bearing wall.
I will posit one point. If you have a wall perpendicular to the floorboards, and, under the floorboards, in the basement, is a metal I beam going from one foundation wall to another, then that beam and anything above it is load bearing. I have a central wall going down the spine of my house, and there are I beams holding up the floorboards going from wall to chimney to wall under it in the basement.

Previous tech example, my grandmother's house, now sold, 1856 Greek Revival, had a left to right wall in the basement with only one doorway in the middle. The neat thing was that the first to second floor stairs went along this wall, but there was no floor under the stairs, so you could look up from the basement and see to the underside of the top step two stories up along this sheer, painted once, brick wall.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 09:52 AM
Running On Empty

Federal & State Income Taxes filed - gave me something to do during the miserable weather outdoors this morning.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 10:11 AM

Federal & State Income Taxes filed - gave me something to do during the miserable weather outdoors this morning.
Wow, I'm impressed! I'm still waiting on my 1099-R from Uncle Sam, and a 1099-R and Capital Gains/Dividend disclosures from my brokerage firm. I typically do not have everything I need until around the 3rd week of February.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 10:16 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Wow, I'm impressed! I'm still waiting on my 1099-R from Uncle Sam, and a 1099-R and Capital Gains/Dividend disclosures from my brokerage firm. I typically do not have everything I need until around the 3rd week of February.
I am in receipt of all my hard copy forms. Capital Gains, etc. are really simple (although I did have hard copies). I use FIDELITY BROKERAGE SERVICES LLC. Additionally, any information required for the filing forms I can simply enter my account information, and the tax s/w navigates/negotiates my bank(s) and/or brokerage firm and the required data is extracted into the appropriate tax filing form(s).
Old February 2nd, 2023, 10:22 AM

I am in receipt of all my hard copy forms. Capital Gains, etc. are really simple (although I did have hard copies). I use FIDELITY BROKERAGE SERVICES LLC. Additionally, any information required for the filing forms I can simply enter my account information, and the tax s/w navigates/negotiates my bank(s) and/or brokerage firm and the required data is extracted into the appropriate tax filing form(s).
That's pretty sweet the Tax Software has the capability of reaching out and grabbing the required info from the various sources!
Old February 2nd, 2023, 10:26 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
That's pretty sweet the Tax Software has the capability of reaching out and grabbing the required info from the various sources!
That capability has been in service for ~10 years for most tax s/w. IRS uses it now for many of their own filing features. It took some time to normalize data, but wasn't that big of a deal since by rules data is rather universal in terms of what is required in which box on any given form. Tax s/w has evolved exceedingly well during the past couple decades.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 11:51 AM
Jeff

Generally speaking a "knee wall", in its most commonly employed terminology & usage in typical attic space (which has been enclosed/partitioned with knee walls) is not a load-bearing wall. They are nothing more than partition walls. The home (generally and most likely) was not built with knee walls [they were add-ons]; however, that's a general statement which would apply to most home attics. The true load-bearing wall(s) would be the exterior walls of the home which support the roof. You'd have to contact a building contractor or structural engineer to make an informed/licensed decision.
I could've probably made my point clearer originally. Essentially, what I meant was this: it is possible that there are boards strung between the floor joists and the rafters, which are part of the bracing structure of the roof. This would be evident if the floorboards have cuts for the floorboard to go around those braces, as opposed to a framed-in wall. You would need visibility to the subfloor to know this for sure. Also, if the knee wall is unfinished on the backside, and you can see that it's a framed-in wall, then Mike will have his answer.

Bracing could be 2x4 or something larger, depending on age of the home, and building codes at the time. I've seen construction done several different ways. My chalet-style cottage has true knee walls, where it's just a framed-in wall and not tied into joist/rafter bracing.

Old February 2nd, 2023, 11:59 AM
Running On Empty

Hey, Jeff - I wasn't disagreeing w/ you (or anyone) simply asserting my own knowledge/experience. There so many variables an arm-chair non-certified builder (such as myself) don't even know which can influence an answer. Types of floor joists, thickness, width, length, material(s), spacing between joists, floor joist span, etc., etc., etc. Hopefully it was apparent my statements were general (as stated).
Old February 2nd, 2023, 12:10 PM

This reminds me of the time I told our old friend Red Goat that I couldn't put a ceiling heater in the bath room because the joist ere running the wrong way. He said No they aren't our your house would fall down
Old February 2nd, 2023, 12:15 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
This reminds me of hen I told our old friend Red Goat that I couldn't put a ceiling heater in the bath room because the joist ere running the wrong way. He said No they aren't our your house would fall down
Jim - That's humorous.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 12:42 PM
Running On Empty

E-Filed @ 12:50PM. What took them so long?

Old February 2nd, 2023, 01:14 PM
Running On Empty

Thought it best I validate the previous text message by logging onto the website. Seems like a lengthy amount of time to wait. Considering filing a complaint...

Old February 2nd, 2023, 02:57 PM

Beware the military industrial complex IKE
Old February 2nd, 2023, 03:03 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks you guys I'll go up and check it out further this weekend some time. I need to put new carpet up there and thought this would be a good project to do first.

Spitting rain, not real hard but it's annoying. I'm disappointed in myself, because I hate rain and usually when I walk outside I have adverse thoughts about it. These days I don't even notice it's so commonplace. I just looked, it's 29* up home, and 50 here. So it could be worse.

We finished up right at the end. Big surprise we're starting early tomorrow. Eh, gives me more time at the Awful house.

Old February 2nd, 2023, 04:26 PM

Jim, I was never cold while riding, with my Purple Elvis suit, helmet and heated grips/gloves actually can get too hot, now when you stop and remove gear- yeah it's cold out! Chris, yep we trailered our machines up to ******* (actually Otsego Lake), rode up to Indian River, over to Jordan valley then back to lake and across it.
Old February 2nd, 2023, 07:18 PM

My tax forms will not all be here for a while.

I did take a snow shovel, then a hoe, and break up the ice on the gravel drive. I should be able to toboggan down it and get to work tomorrow.
Old February 3rd, 2023, 02:50 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Here since 4. I regret not stopping and getting some pop to drink, it's tough trying to stay awake. Maybe if things got busier.

Rain is done for a few days but it's going to be cold. I'd love to get out and do something in the yard but I don't think it will get too dry before it rains again. I'll just stay in and play with Tiger.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old February 3rd, 2023, 06:07 AM
Running On Empty

When you create (upload) a video on YouTube the creator has ability to create (use) both a beginning image & ending image (if they elect). Evidently, they (Historical Recordings) didn't put much thought into the beginning image. CWAC (Canadian Women's Army Corps)

Old February 3rd, 2023, 08:07 AM
Jeff

Hey, Jeff - I wasn't disagreeing w/ you (or anyone) simply asserting my own knowledge/experience. There so many variables an arm-chair non-certified builder (such as myself) don't even know which can influence an answer. Types of floor joists, thickness, width, length, material(s), spacing between joists, floor joist span, etc., etc., etc. Hopefully it was apparent my statements were general (as stated).
I gotcha. I wasn't trying to argue, just realized I should've / could've made my point clearer.

Hoping I win the lottery so that I can spend some money and actually get to see framing done on my place. 😁
Old February 3rd, 2023, 09:09 AM

Nice catch Norm I never noticed To tell the truth I was looking for Kate Smith singing
Old February 3rd, 2023, 09:26 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Weezer
I gotcha. I wasn't trying to argue, just realized I should've / could've made my point clearer.

Hoping I win the lottery so that I can spend some money and actually get to see framing done on my place. 😁
I didn't think you were trying to argue and I wasn't trying to argue, I just thought it reasonable to let you know I appreciate your comments and didn't want us to lurk about in contention with what one of us said about the other's comments. You know, one of those pleasantries extended in normal conversations between folks (something which I see is somewhat of a novelty on this site when I look at how other's are treated in some posts).
Old February 3rd, 2023, 10:27 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - Creating fat juicy Swiss cheese + mushroom cheeseburgers for today's lunch entree. 🍔🍔🍔🍔
Old February 3rd, 2023, 11:50 AM

Norm I prefer Blue Cheese but it sounds wonderful
Old February 3rd, 2023, 11:53 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - I do have some Blue Cheese (of course) - thought crossed my mind. They (x2) were delicious.