The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2023, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
You guys would probably enjoy sum of these
Jim - Those look to be a mix of both hot pickles and peppers. I'm sure I'd love them. I'm sure I mentioned this before, but my Grandpa and Grandma on Mom's side always had a huge garden, plus had many fruit trees and bushes. My Grandma canned everything. She canned the very best pickles, peppers, relishes, jams, and jellies I ever had! Sitting down to one of her southern cooked meals was always a heavenly experience!
Old October 10th, 2023, 07:32 AM
Running On Empty

The greater number of hurricanes to strike NC occurs in September and October, mostly September I think. One little pecker head lurking out there which could drift our way. After that hopefully home free.

Old October 10th, 2023, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
The greater number of hurricanes to strike NC occurs in September and October, mostly September I think. One little pecker head lurking out there which could drift our way. After that hopefully home free.
Norm - Glad you've made it thru the majority of this season relatively unscathed to this point, hope it continues for ya. 🤞
Old October 10th, 2023, 12:45 PM

Well, I don't make pasta, but I have a half dozen varieties of Barilla in the cupboard. Oddly enough I had been thinking of making lasagna or manticotta. Been awhile since I made either. With cooler weather creeping in, white chilli will be in the forecast. I love to scoop it out of the bowl with corn chips, yum. Even though I have a couple of NY strip steaks and a ribeye in the freezer, I had been contemplating a Filet Mignon soon. Apple cider donuts. Tis the season. I need a bigger recipe box.
Old October 10th, 2023, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Jim - Those look to be a mix of both hot pickles and peppers. I'm sure I'd love them. I'm sure I mentioned this before, but my Grandpa and Grandma on Mom's side always had a huge garden, plus had many fruit trees and bushes. My Grandma canned everything. She canned the very best pickles, peppers, relishes, jams, and jellies I ever had! Sitting down to one of her southern cooked meals was always a heavenly experience!
Chris, Amazon is your friend
Old October 10th, 2023, 01:28 PM

Tanks Jim, but I'm not so sure about Amazon being a friend? About 80% of each month's credit card charges are from Amazon, and of that 80%, maybe 5% are mine. I think my wife's middle name is Amazon!
Old October 10th, 2023, 03:42 PM
Running On Empty

But...but...I thought I was Amazon's friend? Honestly, I shop Amazon very regularly.
Old October 10th, 2023, 03:46 PM
Running On Empty

How often do I order from Amazon? And, each order does not contain one item. I try to get my moneys worth from Prime.

Old October 10th, 2023, 04:37 PM
Running On Empty

We had a large (~1 acre) garden every year growing up - Mom called it a war garden. We grew everything. At the end of the summer whatever was not harvested & remained in the garden went into making & canning Giardiniera (sottaceti).
Old October 10th, 2023, 04:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
...I have a half dozen varieties of Barilla in the cupboard.
Dan - You have any Barilla mostaccioli?
Old October 10th, 2023, 05:35 PM

How often do I order from Amazon? And, each order does not contain one item. I try to get my moneys worth from Prime.

I'm not $hittin ya, I had 31 orders just on my last monthly statement, 3 were mine for parts to fix my electric fan mount, the rest were my wife's. On her behalf, probably 1/2 of her 28 were for refinishing supplies. But still ???
Old October 10th, 2023, 05:46 PM
Running On Empty

31 orders or 31 items?
Old October 10th, 2023, 05:47 PM

We had a large (~1 acre) garden every year growing up - Mom called it a war garden. We grew everything. At the end of the summer whatever was not harvested & remained in the garden went into making & canning Giardiniera (sottaceti).
I have to admit, I had never heard of Giardiniera, so I had to look it up. Nothing went to waste from the garden did it! My Grandma also canned a type of relish they called Chow-Chow. It is diced green tomatoes, cabbage, onions, and peppers in a vinegar base. She made mild and hot varieties. The amount of heat was determined by the type of peppers put in it. I loved both types.
Old October 10th, 2023, 05:51 PM

31 orders or 31 items?
31 separate charges on the Credit Card bill, so I am counting those as orders. I'm pretty sure some of those consisted of multiple items.
Old October 10th, 2023, 05:54 PM
Running On Empty

Well all you need to do is look on Amazon as I did. “Orders are listed by month, 3 months, each year, etc. I posted an image.
Old October 10th, 2023, 05:58 PM
Running On Empty

We made a Chow-Chow, also. It’s pretty good.
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:08 PM
Running On Empty

There were weekends in our kitchen you couldn’t find an open sink or an open burner on the stove what with multiple pressure cookers, huge boiling pots of water, cases of Mason Jars, and everyone at their stations - sounded like a frick’n Calypso band with pressure cooker weights rattling, pans & lids banging. LOL
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:18 PM

Well all you need to do is look on Amazon as I did. “Orders are listed by month, 3 months, each year, etc. I posted an image.
Yes, I know, I've placed 5 orders in the last 3-months, but that doesn't show me my wife's orders on her account, they are separate. There's no way in hell I'm gonna ask her how many orders she's placed in the last month or 3-months, discretion is the better part of valor in this case!
Old October 10th, 2023, 06:57 PM
Running On Empty

Is your wife addicted to cardboard?
Old October 10th, 2023, 07:52 PM

Is your wife addicted to cardboard?
Believe me when I say that no matter what the project, an oil change or painting a piece/s of furniture, there is never a shortage of cardboard to put under something! We do almost all our shopping online these days, between Amazon Prime, Walmart, Sam's Club, and Chewy (for the dogs), all of which we get free shipping on, very rarely do we go to the store for anything!
Old October 11th, 2023, 04:18 AM

The thing I like most about Amazon is how easy it is to get parts for things Recently someone tossed some plastic lids I had for some small Corningware ramekins. They were perfect for storing left overs and then re heating. I found the lids by them selves on Amazon and ordered 4
Old October 11th, 2023, 04:35 AM
Running On Empty

Chris - I didn't realize just how much online shopping people did I guess. I thought I had a lot of Amazon orders w/ 43 for the entire year. You made nearly as many orders in one month.

I basically look up/research all items I'm unfamiliar with, evaluate reviews/evaluate the product, etc. & get the product part/model number. I then race over to Amazon & >90% of the time Amazon has the exact item so I purchase from Amazon most often at a lower price and free Prime shipping.

The Indian registration requires renewal so I'll go for a ride to get an inspection sometime today, I believe. I'll start the day pruning hedges none-the-less.
Old October 11th, 2023, 04:38 AM
Running On Empty

Jim - You got me on that one. I didn't know what a ramekin was until I just looked it up. I have two of them, both white. I don't think I've ever had lids for them. They're smaller ones. I may need to do some online shopping.
Old October 11th, 2023, 04:56 AM
Running On Empty

Another benefit (sorta) for Amazon is the USPS delivers Amazon products on Sundays.
Old October 11th, 2023, 05:26 AM

Chris - I didn't realize just how much online shopping people did I guess. I thought I had a lot of Amazon orders w/ 43 for the entire year. You made nearly as many orders in one month.

I basically look up/research all items I'm unfamiliar with, evaluate reviews/evaluate the product, etc. & get the product part/model number. I then race over to Amazon & >90% of the time Amazon has the exact item so I purchase from Amazon most often at a lower price and free Prime shipping.
Norm - I think we're all smart shopping on Amazon Prime, not only do we find the cheapest prices, we also save our time and gas. My wife is not picky about wanting designer type clothes, she buys much of her wardrobe and shoes online, $8 shirts and $12 jeans or slacks, you can't find new clothes anywhere else for those kind of prices.
Old October 11th, 2023, 11:18 AM
Running On Empty

Tons of pruning completed this morning. Just returned from the Indian inspection. People drive like A-Holes. Think I'll heat up my lasagna Italiano leftovers w/ some garlic ribbon rolls then go for a ride down East where it's wide open country roads. Weather is nice.
Old October 11th, 2023, 11:54 AM

Tons of pruning completed this morning. Just returned from the Indian inspection. People drive like A-Holes. Think I'll heat up my lasagna Italiano leftovers w/ some garlic ribbon rolls then go for a ride down East where it's wide open country roads. Weather is nice.
Sounds like a great way to spend a nice afternoon! I may just have to go on one of those myself, pretty damn nice here too. Be safe out there!
Old October 11th, 2023, 02:36 PM

Dan - You have any Barilla mostaccioli?
Nope. Penne is as close as it gets. When I was about 7 years old, my mom got a full time job. She still canned vegetables, baked pies, banana bread, sometimes donuts, homemade blackberry jam etc. made dinner, did laundry, (we started to learn how to do our own). When she was in her seventies, I asked how did you do it? She just shurgged her shoulders. That generation was something else.
Old October 11th, 2023, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

Stopped by this local coffee/wine bar shop in our town - had a chocolate croissant & cappuccino. Some belligerent obnoxious guy came in vacillating all types of profanity. I left as the police were putting him in handcuffs. The Indian is getting hard to start....reading plenty of volts. I think the ground strap & battery terminal ends need a good cleaning. Scalloped potatoes w/ pieces of ham in a cream sauce for dinner tonight (courtesy of Marie Collander's).
Old October 11th, 2023, 02:43 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
That generation was something else.
Salt of the Earth they were. I bet you're the same way, though.
Old October 11th, 2023, 05:15 PM

Salt of the Earth they were. I bet you're the same way, though.
They sure were, my parents worked like dogs to make a nice life for us kids!

Norm - I went for about an hour and a half ride, just beautiful out. Can't wait for a few rides in the fall colors!

Here's a new twist on Toasted Cheese Sandwiches. Toasted Mac and Cheese, made with Cracker Barrel brand sharp white cheddar Mac & Cheese. Cracker Barrel Mac and Cheese is by far the best store bought Mac and Cheese I've ever had. The sandwiches are delicious!

Old October 11th, 2023, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - I think we're all smart shopping on Amazon Prime, not only do we find the cheapest prices, we also save our time and gas. My wife is not picky about wanting designer type clothes, she buys much of her wardrobe and shoes online, $8 shirts and $12 jeans or slacks, you can't find new clothes anywhere else for those kind of prices.
I did a trial delivery for Mom and Dad last week. Mom 89 Dad 89 ( Put it this way, they are able to hide their own easter eggs and not find them ) but Dad still insists on driving. I explained I wanted to try this local grocery delivery to see if it worked for the upcoming winter months in case he couldn't make it out.

Dad fell on the porch a couple times getting the paper, the groceries were set on the porch with no contact. I did not specify the delivery to be handed off to Dad so live and learn.

Anywho, I wondered about a decent drop point option for the porch and stumbled on this upload on you-tube. I thought this was an awesome product this Michigan company came up with. Not inexpensive however very tasteful and handy as hell.

Check it out if you would like to see it.

Old October 11th, 2023, 06:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Rain. We haven't had any in weeks but I'm still bummed. This time of year up home the rain could very likely be snow, so I'm glad that isn't the case here.

Got some yardwork done before the rain started. Cut down some trees that are actually weeds allowed to grow high, and pruned some trees and made a nice spot for Mom to see the lake through. Many years ago I had several trees cut down with the notion I was going to cut them all up for firewood. Well, that never happened and **** grew up around the felled trunks and now it's all grown up. I'm working at getting some of it down so we can see the lake. I didn't get all that much accomplished but boy howdy was I beat. My 400 dollar chain saw doesn't start any better than the cheap one I threw on the ground and kicked around the yard, so I got smart and just left it running when I'd set it down.

Who here knows how to reprogram traffic lights? There's a light between Mom's and my house that used to be excellent. When the side road tripped it, it would change for a few seconds, but long enough for every car waiting to go through. Now, a car will pull up and it will be up to a minute before the count down starts for the yellow. No cars, just a bunch of people waiting for nothing. It got changed when the county repaved the road.

Doctor tomorrow. That will probably be the high point of the day. More rain is supposed to be here, so it will be inside things for me. Gas man comes tomorrow afternoon, which is early I think. It's 74 in the house and Mom has the space heaters going.

Okay hope everyone has a good Hump Day.

Old October 12th, 2023, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by otto72
Check it out if you would like to see it.
https://youtu.be/mMY2SAb0_J0
Keith - That's a pretty neat idea! The way our house is set up, I'm not really sure how I'd make it work. We have a front hall/vestibule that opens to the front porch (see pic) and there is only about a foot of wall on either side of the front door/window casing, couldn't fit one in there. The other part of the front porch borders a bedroom to the right of the front door, from about where the house number is to where the wall juts out to the right of the bedroom window. I guess a hole could be cut there and open into the bedroom, but I don't think my wife would like that very much. Plus, it would be costly and pretty labor intensive having to dismantle/cut/reassemble the masonry. In any case, still a cool idea if it will work in your particular situation.

Last edited by Dream67Olds442; October 12th, 2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old October 12th, 2023, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.
Doctor tomorrow. That will probably be the high point of the day.
Mike - I hope you get good news from the doc and that it truly is a high point of your day..
Old October 12th, 2023, 09:24 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Thanks Chris. I had a good visit at the doctor today. He pretty much cleared me for anything. Another check up in 6 weeks and that will probably be it.

More rain. Actually it's just spitting now and again but it's dismal out and everything is a mess. Mom wants to run a couple errands this afternoon and the gas man is coming later on.

That package safe looks pretty cool and I don't think 2800 is out of line, especially since that includes installation. I don't have enough space by the front door for one either, but it wouldn't be hard to build a stand-alone safe and retrieve the packages from the same door they are put in. It has a lock, and you could bolt the safe to the house so the whole thing doesn't get carried off. Or put a simple metal shelf on the porch, and electrify it. You'd have to clue in the delivery guy.

So it's back to work at the end of the month. I asked Mom if she wanted to take a trip somewhere, she said no. If I wanted to go somewhere far, I'd have to buy a ticket on another airline(or I supposed Delta) because you can't fly when you're on disability. I'd love to go out to the museum in Reno but that might be pushing it. Maybe I can go to my friends' in Alabama.

Okay lunch is done and I gotta find something to do. Hope everyone has a great day. One more and it's the weekend. Boy I really like this retirement bit.

Old October 12th, 2023, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Hi everyone.

Thanks Chris. I had a good visit at the doctor today. He pretty much cleared me for anything. Another check up in 6 weeks and that will probably be it.
That's great news Mike, I'm happy for ya!
Old October 12th, 2023, 09:39 AM
Running On Empty

Mike - Happy to hear the doc cleared you. Good deal.

How about the Arizona Diamondbacks. Not only did they sweep the win from the Dodgers, they scored four home runs in the same inning.
Old October 12th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Great News Mike,
Old October 12th, 2023, 10:35 AM

How about the Arizona Diamondbacks. Not only did they sweep the win from the Dodgers, they scored four home runs in the same inning.
I hadn't heard that. Sure doesn't break my heart to see the Dodgers knocked out though. I usually don't follow the MLB playoffs unless I have a team in the mix, and the Cards had an unusually bad year and weren't even close to getting in the mix. Now 4 home runs by the same team in one inning, that's something!